[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: IMG_0444.jpg (1.67 MB, 3264x2448)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB JPG
ITT: we give simple advice that can help our fellow GM's
I'll start
>keep a list of names (male and female) on hand so no matter who the PC's meet, you have a name for that character, even if you just made them up and didnt plan for them
>have 2-3 "can happen anywhere" battles so if players go somewhere you didnt expect at all, and you have nothing planned, you still have some solid content to finish the session and make a new plan. Some example could be: a surprise orc raid, drow assassins sent by an enemy faction descend upon the heroes, or an earthquake opened a fissure and fire elementals are pouring out.
>dont ever make your story rely on the heroes fleeing or running. it doesn't matter how much you tell yourself "well they shouldve known better", a TPK because you railroaded them into running away is bad GMing
>>
If you see a player's PC strugling in their supposedly field of expertise, don't be a dick, don't ignore it, throw a bone to him. And specially don't kill his PC to "free him" from the burthen of playing it, that is a double dick movie.
>>
>>63398781
Practice Hands https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-U41n1678I
Also
>Play something except DnD for a change.
>>
>>63399113
>that is a double dick move.
My name is Richard Johnson, and I will be your GM tonight.
>bad omen
>>
>>63398781
I find this to be extremely useful: http://themagictreerpg.blogspot.com/2008/10/gms-ten-commandments.html?m=1
>>
Always remember that it's just a game. Everything doesn't have to be perfect, so long as everyone's having a good time.
>>
>>63398781
Talk to your players if you have a problem
Encourage them to talk to you if they have a problem
Establish clear expectations for game type (intrigue? dungeoncrawl? exploration?), level of difficulty, and tone (lighthearted? serious?)
Know the rules that come up the most often in your game
Play the game that suits what you want to do (don't play D&D for a slice-of-life game for example)

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.