[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Here we discuss the stout men and women of the Dwarven variety. Continuing from the last Dwarven Women thread and mixing in other, general, discussion.

I'll start off with a question: Assuming Dwarves have clans, how do you think they'd work /tg/?
>>
>>63394964
highly insular, rule of the eldest, live in separate enclaves within the cities of other species (think jewish communities)
>>
>>
>>63395013
>those noses
Nein
>>
>>
>>
Tell me /tg/ do you think the dwarves would be particularly fond of feudalism?
>>
>>63395013
>no beards
>>63394964
A broad familial group that all shares lineage to some hero and attempts to live up to the mythology around that hero and subsequent heroes that stem from that line. Probably has a bunch of ancestral artifacts that ranking elders or champions of the clan carry, which bestows honor, but demands these elders or champions defends that honor. Clan members which bring disgrace on their clan can be reprimanded or ostracized by their clan. Achievements are applauded.
>>
>>
DWARVES ARE FAT SLOW IDIOTS
>>
>>63395132
>>
>>
How do you figure Dwarven family structure to be, /tg/? How strong are the ties of family?
>>
File: Chaos Dwarfs.jpg (549 KB, 903x1311)
549 KB
549 KB JPG
Evil Dwarves are pretty cool.
>>
>>63395408
Definitely underrated. I also enjoy the chaos dwarfs vidya-equivalent, the dark dwarves from the Warlords Battlecry series. You can certainly do a lot with environment destroying, slave-trading undead/daemon-worshipping dwarves.
>>
Dwarves are frequently depicted using battleaxes, but wouldn't a shield-wall with polearms suit underground combat better?
>>
>>63395132
>t. elf
>>
>>63395167
Too bad he only had a dagger
>>63395691
Can't really maneuver in tight spaces with some poleaxe
>>
>>63395691
Axes aren't great in a very confined space since they rely on a fairly wide swinging arc to have an effective impact, but a bunch of very long polearms wouldn't be particularly practical in that environment either. Shield walls and the like are good though, since mobility isn't such an important factor - can't really flank someone if their formation easily stretches from one wall of the cave to the other.

The solution, assuming we're not dealing with the clock/steampunk gunnery variety of dwarf here, lies with the Roman method. Large shields, short stabbing swords. Easy enough to use in a tight space, while still providing a nigh-impenetrable wall of shields and pointy things that's difficult for an enemy to assault.
>>
>>63395691
I figure it's the same reason we have heroes with swords for humans, when most soldiers used spears and shields.
It's the preferred sidearm (perhaps due to a similar heft to a pick?) and has cultural weight for dwarves.

Ceremonial axes abound, "knights" will certainly be well trained in using a greataxe or whatever, but the average soldier will have a spear, shield and a handaxe or shortsword backup.
>>
>>63395972
Can't maneuver at all really with long pikes or polearms, at least when in formation. I think the idea is if there's only a single tunnel, you put some dwarves with pikes and shields and suddenly the enemy's way is blocked by a prickly wall. All the dwarves have to do is thrust forward. And, if SHTF and they're flanked somehow, they just drop the poles and use short swords. Or....half the guys turn around, and the pikes are double sided.
>>
File: 151876411705.jpg (30 KB, 593x357)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>
>>63396870
That's one mighty odd dwarf you're posting there, friend.
>>
>>63396179
>>63396309
I like to use both of these. The dwarven cultural weapon is the battleaxe (specifically a hybrid of a battleaxe and a war pick), but the bulk of their armies are infantry equipped either with large shields and short swords or with spears, and skirmishers carrying javelins and slings.
>>
>>63397288
Please don't reply to off-topic shitposters.
>>
>>63397293
Wouldn't dwarves be bad at using thrown weapons? Slings too benefit from being spun by a taller person with more space to work with.
Crossbows seem like a far more dwarf-y weapon. Gotta be pretty stronk to crank it, it's partly mechanical, doesn't care what height or reach you have and can be either mastercrafted for an ace or stamped out for bulk.
>>
>>63397473
Makes sense, although that kind of skirmishes was common for mountain peoples
>>
>>63397653
Most mountain peoples weren't 4 feet tall and lived inside the actual mountain.
>>
>>63395408
I'm surprised we don't see the trope more often. Since they're commonly portrayed as industrious, and it's easy to make the jump from there. Show them clearcutting forests for their forges and strip-mining mountains only to leave and let them be infest by monsters to plague the surrounding areas.
>>
>>63397679
I tend to have dwarves live above the mountain as well. Only a few cities are entirely underground
>>
>>63397813
Slings still a bad idea. Humans are good at javelins because we got reasonably long arms. As well as a center of balance that allows us to throw shit hard without falling over, which is why gibbons aren't amazing at javelins.

Oh and also guns. Magic or not, a dwarf with a blunderbuss is fun.
>>
Why are non-chaos sumerian dwarves so hard to find art and minis for? I love the gw chaos dwarves but I wish I could find minis like them that don't have horns and tusks
>>
>>63398083
You can ask yourself how common non-chaos sumerian dwarves are in fantasy settings.
>>
>>63398349
As rare as Roman or Russian dwarves in fantasy settings but those are easy to find minis for
>>
>>63399103
1:1 expies of IRL cultures is lazy writing anyways.
>>
>>63399120
You don't even need to do it, but can still copy some of the aesthetics. If dwarves for some reason live in much harsher, warmer and drier land, they might start to dress similarly like people have in our world in these kinds of lands. Add the same kind of technological level and avaiable materials and you end up with a similar aesthetic.
>>
>>63399103
Show them then.
>>
>>63397851
What about staff slings?
>>
>>63399855
>roman
https://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DW-216
>russian
I fucked up on that one. Mixed up russian with polish
http://sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?art=3115
>>
File: 1536893050206.jpg (192 KB, 1228x1496)
192 KB
192 KB JPG
>>
File: dendra panoply.jpg (101 KB, 530x800)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
did dwarves ever have a bronze age?
>>
>>63400865
Don't think you can transition into steel immediately without trying out some of the other metals that need lower temperatures to melt beforehand. Though if bronze is not available to them, then they might skip it.
>>
File: 1544056152548.jpg (148 KB, 1000x1000)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
>>63401060

In my world, I had the dwarves teach humans the secret to smelting iron, while humans taught dwarves how to brew barley & hops. And that is why despite dwarves being grumpy dicks to almost every other race, they get along with humans to this day.
>>
File: 1538165528703.png (441 KB, 800x600)
441 KB
441 KB PNG
If a dwarven town is plagued by badger-lycanthropy, would dwarves even care? It's a stout, stubborn, burrowing animal, I imagine some dwarves wouldn't even mind.
>>
>>63401330
I like how in dwarf fortress the humans are in the bronze age while the dwarves actually have the logistics for smelting other metals. Dwarves would have so much economic power by selling tin to the humans while still having superior arms and armor.
>>
>>63396179
Seconding the Roman Gladius and Shield formation. It really would be the perfect marriage of maneuverability and defense.
>>
File: 1544132391634.jpg (108 KB, 640x780)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>63400865
>bronze plate
>>
>>63395107
Dwarves' industriousness makes me think they'd lean more toward later middle ages/renaissance cities, with more private commodity production, guilds, and commerce. Perhaps even more advanced, like early modern industrial revolution. It'd be interesting to see them handle food production and what was typically cottage industry in the same way.
>>
>>63396179
Romans only used those shields because they had pretty shitty armor. Dwarves in heavy plate probably wouldnt even use shields at all.
>>
>>63397851
Hm, what about atl-atls? Spearthrowers are designed to make an arm longer, so compensating for short arms could work too
>>
>>63400865
>>63401060
Wakanda evidently did it.
>>
>>63396179
I doubt axes would actually develop as a weapon in dwarven societies. Axes are for woodcutting, and dwarves live mostly underground or above the timber line. If anything, like most human societies irl they would develop weapons from their most frequently used tools.
Hammers, obviously, originally developed for forging. Picks, from mining. These can easily be combined like historical war hammers. Both would be very effective against heavy metal armor that dwarves would likely wear, they're also effective even with short arms, as you typically strike from the elbow and wrist.
I imagine dwarves do a fair amount of earth-working on top and the sides of mountains as well, so earth-splitting tools like mattocks or adzes could develop into weapons too. Splitting mattocks could be a very "dwarven" weapon not seen elsewhere.
Also, short, single-handed cut-and-thrust swords are a good idea for confined space.
This isn't to say dwarves don't use axes, but I imagine dwarven axes might be double-sided combinations with mattocks, hammers, or picks.
>>
>>63401804
Adding a good modifier to a shit base stat is still not as good an idea as just not using that stat.

Dwarves and throwing weapons just don't mesh.
>>
File: 1528036929730.jpg (453 KB, 1600x1175)
453 KB
453 KB JPG
requesting pics of a Dwarven Cleric
>>
>>63402020
The war mattock was the only dwarf weapon tolkein wrote about in the Hobbit. Other than that they used viking swords and round shields. I never liked the toys r us axes that warhammer seem to popularized.
>>
File: crowfall_05.jpg (1.09 MB, 1202x1600)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
>>63402052
This could be one
>>
File: 1395096507770.jpg (160 KB, 641x900)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>>63402052
>>
File: 1490821371720.jpg (64 KB, 564x711)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>63402052
>>
Give your dwarves some kind of short sword with a telescoping hilt that turns it into a medium spear
>>
>>63402968
>telescoping
>sturdy enough to be a spear haft

Pick one (unless magic)
>>
>warhammer
>have heads like an anvil strapped to the end of a stick instead of pic related
I SERIOUSLY hope you guys don’t do this
>>
>>63402996
realism isn't fun
>>
>>63401804
I imagine it would only increase their leverage to normal human levels. Not a great advantage over a gladius for example, which can be used directly from the hip.
>>
>>63402990
Use mithril or some shit, idgaf
>>
>>63403185
lmao you use an atl-atl to increase the range of throwing spears dumbass. It's not a kind of sword.
>>
here we discuss a race of faggots that caters to faggots
>hehe they are short, smelly, alcoholic and butthurt just like me ;)
dorfs are for beta males who want to feel manly for once in their pathetic existence but because they were raised by a single mother and had no male role model they don't know how masculinity actually looks like so they go for a parody of it
>uuuh be a retard t-that's manly right?
>yeah bro I was molested by my uncle just like you btw my favourite WH40K army is Space Marines
>>
>>63403250
Nigglet did I say it was a sword. I was saying that the Atlatl wouldn't be that much better because it jsut increases the range to what a normal human would muster. A gladius would be a better weapon for the Dwarven physique.
>>
>>63403298
Which stereotypical fantasy race is for true Chads like you and me?
>>
File: anvilhammer.png (318 KB, 400x600)
318 KB
318 KB PNG
>>63402996
>>have heads like an anvil strapped to the end of a stick instead of pic related
HE DOESN'T LIKE ANVIL HAMMERS
>>
>>63403470
Elves
>>
>>63403399
...one is a ranged weapon. The other is a sword. Romans used throwing spears and swords. Dumbfuck.
>>
File: dorf resting.jpg (63 KB, 680x487)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>63403497
Weird from what i remember elves attached the "i'm so enlightened" types because you get to project onto a race that is morally upstanding, is good at everything, live in harmony with nature, my culture is so great, and that sort of hoity toity bullshit.
the fedora tipping betas who want to pretend they are morally superior.
>>
Dwarven climbers and dungeon-delvers don't carry backpacks, as they can easily snag or make squeezing through narrow tunnels difficult. Instead, dwarves wear broad, decorated, and finely crafted belts that accommodate pouches and loops for mining and climbing supplies, lanterns, food and water. Dwarven climbers' belts are held shut with a sturdy mechanical locking mechanism, and the front "buckle" serves as an anchor point for a climbing rope. High-quality belts integrate ratchets, anchors for multiple ropes, etc.
>>
File: 1539476021030.jpg (43 KB, 600x600)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>63403748
This is my fetish
>>
>>63403531
>Romans used throwing spears and swords
diff anon
The marian cohorts did but from what i remember they mostly relied on auxiliary to fill rolls they didn't such as their Calvary and possibly their ranged, i've got some books here i can get back to you on that.
I'm not sure if dwarves would however, their javalian would be smaller and i don't know how easily it would be to use an atali while wearing a two strap heavy shield like the Aspis or the scutum in formation.
I'd assume they'd be closer to the greeks allow the heavy infantry to remain as such, and given their lack of reach use, thrusting spears which would be much harder than carrying around one sword
could totally see them using pillum like weapons at close range to deny an enemy their shield though
>>
>>63403634
You forget that in the majority of fantasy that elves are arrogant because they are, in fact, better. It isn’t illusions of grandeur when a truly superior being considers itself superior.
>>
File: GLORYUS HAMMER MACE.jpg (135 KB, 1920x1080)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>63402996
>THAT'S CALLED A DWARVEN HAMMER MACE YA GIT WHAT KIND OF PANSY PEBBLE BRAINED FOOL WITH THE WITS OF A MINIATURE SNACK PIG WOULD THINK THAT IS A WARHAMMER PROBABLY SOME ONIONS DEFICIENT HU'MAN FOREIGNER PANSY THAT HAS LESS KNOWLEDGE ON ARCHITECTURE STONE MASONRY METAL SMITHING AND DWARVEN CULTURE AND CRAFTS THEN A BLIND AND DEAF NEWBORN BABY AND HE HAS THE AUDACITY TO ASSUME THAT THOSE WEPONS ARE WAR HAMMERS AND INSULT OUR GREAT DWARVEN HAMMER MACES THOSE FOREIGNER ARE STUPIDER THAN MINIATURE SNACK PIGS WITH MORE OF A FOOLHARDY EGO THAN A GRIFFON I TELL YOU
>>
>>63403887
>what is a pilum

nigger

please

read a book
>>
>>63404067
I can't, my father fucks me in the ass every morning and I collect Space Wolves, I wish I didn't have an extra chromosome
>>
>>63403887
lol they literally threw the pilum while holding their scutum

fuck you're dumb
>>
File: dorf_augur.jpg (374 KB, 1200x1600)
374 KB
374 KB JPG
Decent thread. Have some of the only art I like featuring a dwarf-type caster.

>>63395691
Polearms are two handed weapons anon.
I was sad too when I realized how stupid the combination would be, even if the imagery is fucking fantastic.

>>63403748
If you're gonna squeeze through somewhere won't those pouches get you caught, while you could just take off your backpack? There is a reason humans don't use pouches over backpacks.
>>
File: incan-crop.jpg (2.42 MB, 2653x1600)
2.42 MB
2.42 MB JPG
I've always liked the idea of dwarven engineering extending to their entire environment, above ground as well. It also solves the question of food production. Terrace farms engineered by dwarves would look more like fortifications. They integrate irrigation canals and aqueducts to distribute water, some even spanning the valleys between mountains. Dwarven terrace farmers are the "lowest" rung on their social ladder, equivalent to peasants; surface work is considered "un-dwarven" and the opposite of the true callings of mining and craftwork, deep in the mountain hold. The sign that you're in dwarven territory is the same underground and above it: massive, monumental alteration of the environment.
>>
>>63404067
Pillumm, addressed in last line, i bring up that i could see it being thrown at point blank range because of stubby dwarf arms.
Regardless since the marian reforms the loss of the fifth class troops who would serve as skirmishers and light troops meant that citizens did not serve to my knowledge in ranged units or cavalry. during the early empire perhaps around the 3rd century, that period is fucked
Having one spear, designed to break and render the enemy spear inoperable a ranged unit does not make

>>63404133
where does
> i don't know how easily it would be to use an atali
translate in to
>romans carried javalins but didn't throw them
to you.
nigga you do not carry a javelin to no throw it, it's a terrible melee weapon, lacking a back spike and weighed to be thrown rather than used as a spear.
particularly the pillum thanks to it's fuck off spike and fragile haft
>>
>>63404675
I could absolutely see that
>>
>>63403982
no i just didn't bring it up because i don't care.
It's like the only flaw they have is that they are a so prideful that they are what they are.
Leading to some actual fucking hybris, which is a character trait rather than just being good at everything and morally perfect
>>
File: 1543130573028.png (219 KB, 750x700)
219 KB
219 KB PNG
>>63403634
>morally upstanding
>>
>>63404729
Go away you illiterate moron
>>
File: the white wolf.jpg (67 KB, 800x475)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>63404791
that's a Druchii
i mean if want to talk about dark elves it's the reverse morally less flowerchild more edge more tipping i assume
Or the two scimtards
>>
File: be firm, no.jpg (22 KB, 552x471)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>63404848
>Go away you illiterate moron
Good post anon.
Get some reading comprehension and then we'll talk
>>
>>63395591
>someone else remembers Warlords Battlecry
My nigga
>>
>ranged weapons
Dwarves pretty much wouldn't develop ranged weapons for fighting underground. It's dark, you can't see your target clearly outside the range of a lamp, especially if you're hunting animals rather than fighting armies that carry their own lights. Plus, caves rarely offer long lines of sight in which ranged is preferable to just closing distance and using melee. However, they might develop ranged weapons from hunting tools for above-ground use in the mountains.
For industrial-scale production in modern warfare, (as in, the setting's present time), dwarves would use crossbows. They're capable of the relatively complex engineering they require, and they can be made mostly from metal (I assume wood is scarce for dwarves). They also mitigate the problem dwarves' short reach causes for bows (can only use bows with a relatively short draw and less power).
Dwarves might make bows with spring-steel bodies, with much heavier draw weight than wooden bows at a smaller size, perfect for dwarves' short arms. If they climb, mine, and forge for work, dwarves can be expected to have major upper body strength required to pull a steel bow.
>>
>>63404886
You are literally incapable of typing coherent sentences. Go away.
>>
>>63405092
>skim guys post
HAHA RETARD WRONG
>uh, no it's fucking there, i menationed it
ILLITERATE, ILLITERATE READ A BOOK
But I'm sure folks will carry around a tool to help throw their only spear while carrying a big fuck off two strap shield.
Good shit anon, good shit.
>>
>>
>>
>>63405249
He's saying you're incoherent and illiterate because of things like

>Pillumm, addressed in last line, i bring up that i could see it being thrown at point blank range because of stubby dwarf arms.
>>
>>63405381
Fair enough, that was fairly stilted.
>>
File: 1472060685485.png (707 KB, 468x673)
707 KB
707 KB PNG
How about we make some dwarfs?
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Dwarfs_Faction_Creation_Tables

With which colors do the faction usually use to represent itself? (1d100)
>>
Rolled 46 (1d100)

>>63405438
>>
File: 239925.jpg (20 KB, 415x582)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>63405577
>Blue.
A calm color.

Color lightness? (1d100)
Warmth? (1d100)
>>
Rolled 37 (1d100)

>>63405622
>>
Rolled 4 (1d100)

>>63405657
>>
File: BlogHeader.jpg (568 KB, 1920x1080)
568 KB
568 KB JPG
>>63405673
>>63405657
>Dark.
>Cool shade.

Where is the faction found in the world? (1d100)
>>
Rolled 75 (1d100)

>>63405692
>>
I find it REALLY stupid and retarded that some people make dwarfs living JUST underground.

I think it makes sense for dwarfs to hollow out the inside of a mountain, and also to reshape and live outside of it. Pic related.

Dwarfs need to produce food, they need wood, they need material to make BEER.

My dwarfs turn mountains into hanging gardens to put Babylon to shame. There are all kinds of things that people who shape mountains can do, rather than just make holes.
>>
>>63405704
>Concentrated: This faction has a central location, and rarely sends members away from it. Their works are central to their homeland, and make it famous. Examples are a guild which sells arms and armor from their Hold, a professional army which defends the homeland, a clan which makes up most of the population of a settlement or a family which rules it.
So they live in one spot

In which region does/did the group most call home? (1d100)
From which Ancestor Gods did the leaders of the faction descend? (1d100)
Who was the faction’s greatest hero? (1d100)
>>
Rolled 74, 44, 99 = 217 (3d100)

>>63405727
>>
>>63405705
huh
my dwarves are just straight Babylonians and Persians.
>>
>>63405705
For damn sure. My Dwarves are similar, they use mountains as homes but surface dwarves aren't considered lesser for living on the surface. They know that they can't grow food underground, not enough to sustain such a great population.
>>
File: 1506911638470.jpg (158 KB, 740x806)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>63405705
That's a cool idea
>Mountain Dwarf king adores his Hill Dwarf wife from a political marriage
>She's been quite sad since it isn't very green and lush like her home
>Decides to perform the greatest act of gardening of Dwarfkind for her
>Impresses every Dwarf hold they start copying/putting their own spin
>>63405766
>Black Mountains.
>Valaya+Grimnir (possibly through Morgrim).
>A skilled craftsman who's work has inspired songs, and is treasured in the vaults of heroes and kings alike.

What is the faction’s current size and importance? (1d100)

What is the wealth of the Dwarf faction? (1d100)

How strong is the group in terms of manpower? (1d100)
>>
>>63405805
So these Dorfs fight lots of Greenskins/Grobi

And they have a famed smith that came from their halls.
>>
Rolled 14, 64, 6 = 84 (3d100)

>>63405805
>>
File: 1515627823283.jpg (23 KB, 450x600)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>63405805
>Mountain Dwarf king adores his Hill Dwarf wife from a political marriage
>She's been quite sad since it isn't very green and lush like her home
>Decides to perform the greatest act of gardening of Dwarfkind for her
>Impresses every Dwarf hold they start copying/putting their own spin
Anon my heart why you do dis
>>
>>63406796
>Clan: These Dwarfs are members of a clan, who have a representative in Karaz-a-Karak and their nearest Dwarf settlement. They will bear their clan symbol and/or colors to bring honor to their kin. Regardless of their profession, the clan receives a share of the glory...and profit.
Fairly small, they don't have many Dawi on hand
>Wealthy: This group has plenty in their vaults. Although accepting generosity is shameful and no Dwarf ever got rich passing out gold to human cripples, these Dwarfs have the wealth to buy influence fund projects, or to shelter their less fortunate kin and bring honor to themselves. Not only are their members not in want of beautiful adornments, but rare would be something as distasteful as wood or steel without gold and gems be found. Rather than call upon every member of their own to bear arms, these Dwarfs can pay for the services of the guilds and clans to support them in their endeavors. The grumbling of the Longbeards of this group will be heard by the king, and the loudest may reach the ears of the High King himself. Kings of lesser holds themselves may be a part of this group.
But they're quite rich and the small numbers means veryone gets their share
>Minuscule: This group has very few members, or has lost most of its fighters in a recent defeat. It may have many non-combatants that it will send away rather than send in to fight for it who would otherwise only see combat in a last stand rather than face enslavement and torture. Most likely they would fight as a small group in another force if they fight at all.
Once again they're small

What are the faction’s favored battle tactics and military doctrines? (1d100)

Who is the faction's most influential ally? (1d100)

Who is the faction's MOST hated enemy? (1d100)
>>
Rolled 26, 43, 15 = 84 (3d100)

>>63407043
>>
>>63407080
>Slayer Rush: Slayers congregate to the faction due to its risky endeavors and/or worthy cause. These Slayers can be relied on to do their part while the rest of the army finishes what those unfortunate souls can't.
For some reason we have shit tons of slayers
>A(nother?) Guild.
More trade
>Urk (Orcs).
As to be expected

How far afield has the faction ever traveled for war? (1d100)

How does the faction appear in the eyes of other Dwarfs? (1d100)

What is the faction's goal moving forwards? (1d100)
>>
Are you currently playing any Dwarves, /tg/?

This but with black hair
>>
Rolled 52, 51, 49 = 152 (3d100)

>>63407175
>>
>>63407217
A year ago.

Dwarf that had a falling out with his family over the arranged marriag. Used a crossbow and various tools he made himself. It was a free form game online don't judge me.

>>63407231
>The faction has helped reclaim a lost Hold or marched offensively against greenskins/Skaven.
So the Slayers traveled pretty far
>TRUE DAWI: These Dwarfs are arrogant and proud, and are VERY eager to explain why. They won't tolerate insults of any kind, and many (if not all) financial transactions with them may result in a "Grudge tax" for all the insults both real and imagined ABSOLUTELY UNFORGIVABLE WITHOUT BLOOD OR GOLD. These Dwarfs talk up their glories, refuse to talk about their failures, and treat the accomplishments of non-Dwarfs as one would the "special" child that their own child unfortunately associates with. Highly unpleasant to non-Dwarfs, but Dwarfs have a hard time hating the "true" Dawi attitude. Even the lowest retainer from this faction behaves as a human king would.
Everyone like us
>Wealth: The value of a Dwarf is their honor, age, and gold. Their honor is well and their beards grow longer, but the floor of their vault can still be seen.

Anyone have an idea on these guys? Seems like a bunch of merchants that have an Slayer infestation that keep dragging them into trouble
>>
>>63407279
No canon clan that I can imagine, but I do like what we seem to have so far.
>>
>>63407352
Same. I have to sleep for work so good night everyone. And may your beards be full and lustrous.
>>
>>63403298
I am alpha as fuck and I love dwarves so your theory kinda falls apart. As a matter of fact, most dwarf players in my experience tend towards the alpha end of the scale
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (45 KB, 1280x720)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
Ok so hear me out on this just give me a chance what if we had orcs and dwarves and hear me out now, and we combine them into

dworcs
>>
File: ork.jpg (46 KB, 327x278)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>63408119
I prefer dorks
>>
>>63407217
Dumbest axe I've seen in a while. It's great.
>>
File: Dwarven Monolith.png (864 KB, 489x711)
864 KB
864 KB PNG
I love Trudvang dwarves. Most dwarf art looks like short humans, but I think dwarves should look like this. Broader and more muscular, with huge noses. They should clearly be the Other.
>>
File: Dwarf Locks.png (775 KB, 497x645)
775 KB
775 KB PNG
>>63411845
I get a good, spooky/comfy feeling from these pics, like I'm glimpsing creatures that are very ancient and strange. That's what I think fantasy art should be like.
>>
File: Dwerrow Among Men.png (967 KB, 499x745)
967 KB
967 KB PNG
>>63411864
>>
File: Dwarf Hall.png (788 KB, 504x681)
788 KB
788 KB PNG
>>63411879
>>
File: Zvorda.jpg (209 KB, 831x1027)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
>>63411890
The big guy has some troll blood.
>>
>>63411990
Paul Bonner also paints some excellent dwarfs.
>>
File: 1470049323024.jpg (713 KB, 1449x2048)
713 KB
713 KB JPG
>>63411999
>>
File: why dwarves use axes.png (75 KB, 621x585)
75 KB
75 KB PNG
>>63395691
>>63396179
>>63402020
>>
>>63403982
>You forget that in the majority of fantasy that elves are arrogant because they are, in fact, better. It isn’t illusions of grandeur when a truly superior being considers itself superior.
In most settings they are a dying race constantly getting BTFO by "lesser creatures," even with their thousands-of-years-old heroes getting beaten in 1v1 duels against them at times.

Yeah, so objectively superior.
>>
File: 1330014764753.jpg (291 KB, 600x848)
291 KB
291 KB JPG
>>63411990
>The big guy has some troll blood.
Not entirely correct. Trudvang Dwarves are Bastjurs (A clade or biological family classification in universe) just like the Trolls, so they share common ancestry. Which is really obvious looking at the art for certain troll types like the Fjoltroll or King Troll.

t. Swede with Jorges Bestiarium
>>
>>63412126
This is what my Player's Handbook says about them:

>Dwarf-Trolls
>Zvorda is the dwarvish name for the offspring of a dwarf and a troll. Dwarves and trolls have always shared the mountains as their home, and thus came a mixed breed from the darkness. Zvorda are much bigger than a typical dwarf but smaller than a gray troll. Some say that the Zvorda have the temper of a troll and the persistence of a dwarf. Most Zvorda tend to have a dwarvish culture since, given the mysterious nature of the Norgavaina and how they reproduce, the Zvorda are almost never raised among the trolls.

Maybe it's a difference between editions?
>>
File: 1348241242319.jpg (59 KB, 563x603)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>63412175
>Maybe it's a difference between editions?
Seems like it, you've got the recent english release right? Afaik Jorges Bestiarium was only printed in swedish for Drakar och Demoner 6ed. The Trudvang books that got released in english recently are based on a later edition of DoD I don't have much experience which because system wise they were an absolute clusterfuck compared to earlier editions.

tl;dr DoD and Trudvang has really fucky editions.
>>
File: Trudvang (2).jpg (4.91 MB, 1860x2303)
4.91 MB
4.91 MB JPG
>>63412211
Yeah, this is the one I've got. I honestly don't care about the system, I'm interested in Bonner and Tapia's art, and the lore. Both are a big cut above modern D&D.
>>
File: 12192006_05.jpg (642 KB, 1280x683)
642 KB
642 KB JPG
>>63412120
You can say the same thing about dwarves. Both are often dying races.
>>
>>63412310
Your reading comprehension is fucking awful.
>>
>>63407217
I got a Mountain Dwarf Gloom Stalker Ranger prepped for a campaign we're playing sometime soon. I made the build to be basically a Wildhammer Dwarf from Warcraft so it's all about throwing axes and hammers at motherfuckers, running around the place, then finishing off what's left in melee.
>>
File: full0019.jpg (908 KB, 2250x1331)
908 KB
908 KB JPG
>>63412341
Yeah, I know, you never claimed that dwarves are superior themselves. Just saying they it that trope as well.
>>
File: 1540154315480.jpg (82 KB, 450x526)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
Started playing derf fert again after a long hiatus. Feels beard, dwarf.
>>
>>63412373
>"You forget that in the majority of fantasy that elves are arrogant because they are, in fact, better. It isn’t illusions of grandeur when a truly superior being considers itself superior."
This post reads like anon is speaking from an out-of-game perspective. That he, himself, believes elves are objectively superior beings when that's proven false in most settings.

I don't know why you brought up dwarves, but I don't really care. You missed the point.
>>
>>63412448
>I don't know why you brought up dwarves
Because this is a dwarf thread. Also he's probably just baiting. Most reasonable people know that elves are not simply superior apart from very specific settings.
>>
File: 1355844988211.jpg (881 KB, 1237x859)
881 KB
881 KB JPG
>>63412256
Absolutely. Though the edition I'm most familiar with was barebones AF with the lore until they started releasing splatbooks. Trudvang has had a really weird release history until they got their shit together with later releases
>>
>>63412515
Took me some time to notice the dwarves in the lower portion. Very busy pic.
>>
File: 7iud6rzzhe5u.jpg (256 KB, 1050x823)
256 KB
256 KB JPG
Chinese dorf.
>>
File: 1413127174446.jpg (89 KB, 590x570)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>
Probably a long shot, but anybody got Chinese dwarfs?
>>
File: tianhua-xu-8d.jpg (330 KB, 1500x2217)
330 KB
330 KB JPG
>>63412655
>>
Any female Trudvang dwarfs?
>>
>>63407217
Noble Scion monk. It's pretty fun, I get the rest of my players to follow throw my petty revenge schemes to maintain my dwarven honor
>>
File: 1525776919894.jpg (183 KB, 820x1150)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>>
>>63412652
This image has absolutely no weight in the movement. It basically looks like he's rubbing the hammerhead in the skellies face.
>>
File: 1492352187338.png (2.94 MB, 1920x1080)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB PNG
>>
File: khgljhnömio.jpg (443 KB, 1000x738)
443 KB
443 KB JPG
>>
File: 1490296841838.jpg (73 KB, 942x1000)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>
File: iozufzrdizi.jpg (225 KB, 640x901)
225 KB
225 KB JPG
>>
File: 1509859577843.jpg (156 KB, 900x675)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
>>
File: 1536975267824.jpg (78 KB, 480x700)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>
>>63394964
>Dwarven Women
These exist? I just thought when two dwarves loved each other very much they threw a scrap of their beards into a furnace and out popped a fully grown dwarf dude.
>>
File: 4e female dwarf wizard.jpg (199 KB, 400x576)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
>>63413472
>>
File: Gillius_(artwork_1).png (816 KB, 548x868)
816 KB
816 KB PNG
>>
File: heagawr.jpg (474 KB, 818x900)
474 KB
474 KB JPG
>>
File: 1538178469331.jpg (373 KB, 935x914)
373 KB
373 KB JPG
>>
File: 1394995485064.jpg (258 KB, 650x700)
258 KB
258 KB JPG
>>
File: 1483719539763.jpg (792 KB, 1920x2716)
792 KB
792 KB JPG
>>
File: 1397519351583.jpg (356 KB, 520x700)
356 KB
356 KB JPG
>>
File: 1489504603824.jpg (96 KB, 864x864)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
Does anyone even care?
>>
File: 7u46hu45u45.jpg (117 KB, 640x886)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>
File: dorf tavern.jpg (165 KB, 965x1123)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
>>63407217
Unfortunately no, not in Tabletop at least. My group is pretty much dissolved and one of the members basically hated dwarfs because I played them so much (yikes not like I have a favorite race or something).

In NWN, Pillars of Eternity and Baldur's Gate I made dwarf barbarians and they're all pretty fun to play.
>>
File: 1492148210222.jpg (275 KB, 1600x1572)
275 KB
275 KB JPG
>>
>>63395388
Dwarven boys dont leave the caste craft of their fathers
Dwarven mothers dont leave the caste craft of their mothers
>>
>>63397335
But then you'd never get replies
>>
File: hgbliuk.jl.jpg (2.75 MB, 3200x2400)
2.75 MB
2.75 MB JPG
>>
File: 0üßp698or67.jpg (187 KB, 759x848)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
>>
File: 1389913141092.jpg (130 KB, 800x650)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>
>>63395132
fuck off elf
mad cause you cant dig
>>
>>63400848
my nigga bugman
>>
>>63412946
Hahahahaha. Now I'm imagining that this dwarf has a skele fetish and this is some kind of elaborate dwarven courting ritual.
>>
>>63401603
That's brass tho
>>
File: Daveni Warrior.png (47 KB, 400x600)
47 KB
47 KB PNG
>>63398083
My nigga, I'll drop some OC just for you
>>
>>63407217
I am!

He is Thordek, a beardless, bald Forge Cleric.
Thordek was one of the many, many children of Alberich the Tyrant, who killed the righteous king and became the ruler of his city.

Thordek was taught in the ways of the Rune-Priests, but after a successful rebelion, the new rulers of the city started to execute all of those who had any relationship with Alberich or his reign. That was the trigger Thordek needed to fuck right off and start adventuring.

All of Alberich's children got a dragon tattoo on their right cheek so that people can identify them and give them the proper respect. After they started getting hunted for it, Thordek took a piece of heated metal bar and scarred it.
>>
File: Daveni.png (55 KB, 400x600)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
>>63417814
>>
File: 1523049474646.jpg (273 KB, 1604x1080)
273 KB
273 KB JPG
I like Dwarves, but they're one of those peoples id rather befriend than play as.

As for Clans? I assume grrat households with a niche, each head members of a council.
>>
>>63417890
I appreciate that dwarf butt.
>>
>>63403634
>Haha this race likes their culture and thinks its preferable to other cultures like infighting humans or sadistic orcs
>THIS IS BAD!
>>
>>63417814
>>63417838
What dress up flash gams is this? I might use this for npc portraits
>>
File: 1482871580364.jpg (66 KB, 674x900)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>
Any pictures of more fey dwarves? Pre-celtic megalithic cultures and people of the fairy mounds.
>>
File: 1471278255812.jpg (481 KB, 1300x986)
481 KB
481 KB JPG
>>63419530
>>
>>63418587
what?
Nigga my statement was
>elf fags tend to play moral special snowflake bullshit.
Not that anyone is wrong for being culturally chauvinistic
>>
File: dwarf156.jpg (728 KB, 1395x1421)
728 KB
728 KB JPG
>>63394964
>>
File: 1472219744707.jpg (24 KB, 384x384)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>
File: oe5uui.jpg (141 KB, 725x1000)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>63402052
>>
>>63419089
Heromachine

>>63421115
iirc that's not a dwarf, that's one of the forest folk that lead the Rohirrim through a shortcut to Minas Tirith

Could anyone recommend that "The Dwarves" novel to me? I've seen it around but idk if I should buy into it
>>
>>63423739
I heard it was good but I haven't read it myself so I can't really give you anything besides that
>>
>>63404009
well spoken
>>
>>63404675
>incans
why did they bother building everything in these hills. I mean it's impressive and really cool and all, but god damn. Was the earth better in the highlands than the lowlands or something?
>>
>>63425273
Siege resistance
>>
>>63425299
Wouldn't individual forts make it harder to keep the empire together though? If there's a rebellion and you have to march up the mountains to defeat the unruly lord then that is going to cost you a lot.
>>
>>63413134
>>63407043
>>63404570
>>63394964
like these ,thanks for posting
>>
>>63425273
Well, another reason is that their lands are so chock-full of hills or mountainside that the places that aren't hills but habitable is slim.
>>
File: incamap.png (123 KB, 476x863)
123 KB
123 KB PNG
>>63425330
Machu Picchu was basically a personal palace/estate for Pachacuti, the emperor at the time when the Spanish arrived. It was probably isolated for safety, not all Inca cities were like that. The empire was well-connected.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inca_road_system
>>63425273
>Was the earth better in the highlands than the lowlands or something?
The Inca empire was really two totally different cultures: mountain-dwelling Cusco and lowland Mapuche. Cusco was a powerful kingdom from about the 13th century, but it only subjugated Mapuche (and other) tribes, appointed regional governors, and consolidated power in 1438 to become the Inca Empire. The Cusco core of the empire was supported by taxing and presumably gathering food from lowlands. I know they grew potatoes on these terraces, and freeze-dried them for preservation, so maybe they just built their civilization in the middle of the mountains and adapted to it very efficiently.
>>
>>63425273
on average, bottom valleys and lower hillsides were the most populated areas on the Inca Empire
high hillside/mountaintop sites were also quite common, due to population density, but just not as large/populated

(pic, the lower site was once an Inca town which continued to evolve through the centuries while upper site are Inca ruins abandoned in the early colony)

on this >>63404675 specific case though, Incas built there because the bottom valley in the area is very narrow and prone to flooding (because is located on the eastern-Andes, very rainy place), but with a proper water-management system high hillside sites >>63404675 have a much lesser risk of landsliding/eroding due to heavy rainfalls

>>63425299
this was the case previous to Inca era, hillsides and mountain tops, fortified in many cases, were the most populated areas in this period, on average

>>63425330
>Wouldn't individual forts make it harder to keep the empire together though?
Yes, that why many pre-Inca hillforts or "pukara" were abandoned/destroyed during the Inca era as they served no purpose anymore or were seen as a potential threat to the Inca

On rebellious nations it was quite the opposite, in those places Incas occupied and continued to build "pukaras", there are like 130 pukaras in Ecuador since it was a very troublesome area
>>
>>63425992
>The Inca empire was really two totally different cultures: mountain-dwelling Cusco and lowland Mapuche
you don't remotely have a clue what you are talking about
>Inca road system
it was quite beautiful
>>
>>63395013
hello yes I will take one of the amboBzwergdsfghg Soldnerfgdfs and one of the brilliantwergshifhg Erzahlghfhghs
>>
>>63423739
Read most of them, in german. They are... good. Pretty generic fantasy world, even the dwarves themselves. Don't remember anything special or in depth about their dwarfen society. Pretty lengthy at times. A lot of the aspects are pretty mediocre, but he nailed some of the dwarf characters. I think the first one at least is worth checking out, the rest if you got into it.
>>
File: 1485043057205.jpg (89 KB, 658x1083)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>
File: 1370292159956.jpg (61 KB, 500x750)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>
File: 1495344349075.jpg (68 KB, 500x605)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>
>>63401387

Badger cavalry. which is more dangerous, the rider or the mount? Don't answer, you will offend at least one of them.

>>63402020

On the topic of dwarven weapons. Shadiversity and Skallagrim made videos about this.

Also, shovels can be a very effective weapon, as proven by the russians.

>>63395132
>DWARVES ARE FAT SLOW IDIOTS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydgY5fskwjE
>>
File: Dwarven Realm.png (4.09 MB, 2728x1524)
4.09 MB
4.09 MB PNG
Not going to be making settings, but throwing this up for others to use.

Dwarfs in this world are communal to the point that they do not utilize money, shaking their heads at the practice of other races refusing necessities and shelter to their own kin for lack of 'useless yellow discs' or 'numbered paper slips'. They are technologically advanced as they require the tools to operate things that their giant beefy hands could not. The most high tech city is built around the underground remains of a crashed alien vessel that they were lead to by their prophets. Other races scoff at this and disregard it an nothing but tall tales.

They butt heads with elves due to culture clash, although some settlements live in peace with one another.

The underground is akin to a mix of the underdark and the caverns of Ark: Survival evolved Aberration. Having numerous forms of subterranean flora and fauna, as well as its own atmosphere. It is also a very dangerous place to live with a large variety of terrors to fight off. Hence the dwarfs focus on defense.

Because they are far more focused in ensuring that their own kind survives, their military forces are rarely seen above ground, most are just guards and wandering adventurers. The knowledge of armies that try to invade the dwarf mountain entrances never succeed is often enough to deter all but the most fool hardy of races. They also don't favor explosives for combat, because of where they live.

Dwarf's near-autistic desire to create the best tools, equipment, and the like is not out of pride or profit but out of the desire to benefit the community and society as best as possible. It would be a waste of resources if you had to keep replacing things over and over again. Dwarfs don't care much for conquest, their settlements prefer to be left alone save for the occasional exchange of goods and services while preaching about their way of life to overworlders.

Nothing is wasted, everything is recycled. The dead are just burned.
>>
File: 1509870916609.png (463 KB, 800x600)
463 KB
463 KB PNG
>>
File: BTD spearman.jpg (72 KB, 605x960)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>
Who is to blame for the shitty "dwarves surpass other races in technological advances" meme? Is it Tolkien, for starting it, or others (then who) for reinforcing it?

Do you actually like said meme? If not, what other variation are your dwarves - shamanistic? bestial? treefuckers?
>>
>>63429487
The last two lines contradict each other. Cremation is a waste of potential fertilizer.
>>
>>63430346
The Vikings are to blame. Dwarves were black skinned elves who were tall but with proportions of babies who lived underground and were the masters of technology. Peter Dinklage as Eitri in Infinity War is the closest representation modern media has given us of original dwarf mythology
>>
>>63430346
It's certainly not Tolkien, they did great stuff, but they barely innovated.
>>
>>63396179
>Large shields
When armor got better & more covering, shields did get smaller.
>>
File: 28.jpg (297 KB, 870x1293)
297 KB
297 KB JPG
>>63394964
>>
File: dwarf3.jpg (52 KB, 308x390)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>63394964
>mountain-sized pyramids
>>
>>63412631
That would make an interesting setting. Think stereotypical city of jade but it’s actually made out of shimmering, polished jade. The underground could be lit by paper lanterns, fireworks sparking the night sky outside the fortress... seems neat.
>>
File: 1475353546314.jpg (68 KB, 331x457)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
Some stupid ass "elf" thread with some anime boobs gets posted and bumped constantly, but we can't even manage to get a dwarf thread alive? Fuck this shit board.
>>
Ever since I met a dwarf in real life I've found dwarves as a whole more creepy than anything. I know it's not PC but they're so freaky.
>>
>>63432694
god damn synicles get out this is a dorf thread
>>
>>63435922
Simple fact is, sex sells, and whilst elves get to have gorgeous long-eared big-tittied women, dwarves are all bound up in being ugly hairy old midget men. The closest we ever got to sexy dwarf women is in WoW or D&D 4e, and even there, gnome women get to be sexier.
>>
>>63436424
Elves are not big-titted, only in shitty anime. I get it, these dwarf threads are too /tg/, they need more anime pics, /e/ pics, /aco/ porn, and then they'll flourish.
>>
File: 1527731373275.jpg (66 KB, 600x920)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>
>>63403113

Plausibility is
>>
File: 1498540617974.jpg (132 KB, 960x686)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>63436563
>>
File: 1509543398942.jpg (280 KB, 900x1138)
280 KB
280 KB JPG
>>63398083
You've probably seen this before, but just in case you haven't
>>
>>63430346
I honestly think it's actually a Warhammer Fantasy idea, because that and Arcanum are the only media where I can think of where it's true.

In D&D, gnomes are the tinkerer race, and elves tend to be better at magitek (elven prosthetics, namely).

Even in Warcraft, whilst dwarves are techy enough to use guns, gnomes and goblins are still THE tinker races.
>>
File: 1517429697521.jpg (104 KB, 679x960)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
The modern era would probably have been a fun time to be a dwarf
>>
File: moldvayelf.jpg (54 KB, 319x317)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>63436523
>Elves are not big-titted
Right.
>>
>>63436523
Kinda unironically this, the last thread was about dwarven women with some vaguely barbarian short stack.
Some perverts, but some okay discussion got done. Thing got to the bump limit in a day I thin.
>>
>>63425273
Maybe my memory is lying to me, but I think the minerals and the different temperatures at different altitudes helped rise some types of crops. So with that method, you can have more diversity in your production (and use terrain that you cant use otherwise of course).
>>
>>63436637
Darn right

>>63431156
>The last two lines contradict each other. Cremation is a waste of potential fertilizer.
I actually intended to put fertilizer in there but I thought that would be a bit much.

Essentially dwarfs have the attitude of Rogal Dorn from the Emperor TTS verse.
>>
>>63430346
I prefer the approach of Dwarves as uber engineers and craftsmen, as in they excel at and push the limits of the practical while Gnomes are the innovators and mad scientist type. For example, you go to the Dwarf for guaranteed quality weapons and practical devices for breaking down a siege and you go for the Gnome for something that would be considered a warcrime to unleash.
>>
>>63438178
That's not a gnome that's a skaven.

Gnomes work in the farms and gardens, wearing tall pointed hats to be easily seen over the plants they tend to, lest some one trample one whilst going through the fields.
>>
On the subject elves, why do they and the dwarf have to be at each others throats in most settings?

Other than culture clash, I don't see any reason for them to go to war.
>>
>>63438322
Dwarves are all about industry, Elves are all about nature
I guess they feel as if the Dwarves' manipulation of the earth and its resources is inherently insulting, like how in Dwarf Fortress they get real pissy when you chop down trees and use wooden products
>>
>>63438270
I'm thinking more of the Dragonlance Gnomes.
>>
>>63396179
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seih9n2MuYc&t=1s

BTW, which is a better attitude for dwarfs?

Subject 1:
https://youtu.be/iGiVRd8ndZ8
or Subject 2 and subject 2A:
https://youtu.be/han3AfjH210
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNrdqvWpxj4
or Subject 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFhkcO7FcrY
https://youtu.be/df44935r_do
>>
>>63430346
I like it. except their technology also has mysticism. Part megalithic, part kirbytech.
>>
>>63436045
But that is a Dorf
>>
>>63430346
>>63438178
I prefer this as well; that they take like ducks to water on certain aspects of innovation and invention but are also incredibly stuck in their ways in others. Of the fantasy races they'd probably be the first to take to industrialization, but also probably the last to actually emerge into a postindustrial economy.

Alternately I also like the alternative, where they readily accept new technologies but their inherent perfectionism makes them antithetical to mass production or industrialization. Like they could hand make the best rifles in the world, but they would be flatly opposed to mass production.
>>
>>63438322
>>63438503

It's fairly dumb, they're both ancient peoples whose territories don't really meet. They're more likely to be allies than anything.
>>
>>63438322
It's just a bad cliche that grew out of Tolkien's lore.

Even in D&D, which probably spread awareness of the idea, dwarves and elves rarely actually squabbled. They didn't *get* each other very well, since, amongst other things, dwarves view work as inherently satisfying - almost play in its own right - and are extremely conservative by nature, whilst elves view leisure and pleasure as the fundamental purpose of life and are whimsical in nature. But that rarely led to actual hostility between them - I think Dragonlance was the only old school D&D setting that had any real history of elves & dwarves clashing, and that was due to very distinct political clashes (mostly elves being dicks - same reason as in Warhammer Fantasy).
>>
>>63405336
This is a mask made of gold. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality
>>
Is out there any currently produced miniature of a dwarf on a motorcycle that's not too sci-fi and a bit silly looking?

I can't find anything beside Mantic forge fathers but they are too serious looking for what I need them for
>>
>>63438561
yes
>>
Tolkien's first age dwarfs are actually the best dwarves ever
Masked tanks raping dragons
>>
>>63441936
They couldn't even kill a single dragon.
>>
>>63408119
Turokman2000?
>>
>>63394964
Whatever happened to dwarves? They used to be amongst the very most popular fantasy races until about a decade ago. Originally it was most likely thanks to their memorable depiction in D&D, Warhammer Fantasy, Lord of the Rings and World of Warcraft. But something changed, and now almost no one ever plays them. Are vertically compressed badass grandpas just not today's generation idea of cool?
>>
>>63443839
Pretty sure the popularity is relatively the same.
>>
>>63402020
Problem with single-hand short sword is that they arent anit armor. Gladius is great against mob of half naked barbarins but it is weak against dwarf in full mail armor. In high medieval battle axe become very popular as more and more soldier had access to mail armor. Dwarfs are using axes to fight again other dwarfs.
>>
>>63444031
Axes offer hardly any advantage against mail over swords. Slashing with an axe will hurt a mail user just a little more than slashing with a sword because of the leveraged momentum. But you'll get much more mileage from stabbing with a sword than anything you can use an axe for. But your best bet is using a war pick (which is weirdly unpopular in depictions of dwarves despite how flavorful it is). The reason dwarves would start using axes is to overcome the ubiquitous shields other dwarves use to compensate for their clunky frames.
>>
>>63395388
Communal pseudo-communism based entirely on private property.
Also family is central in dwarven society but blood ties are not as important as bonds of brotherhood or marital contracts
>>
>>63400848
Why are old dwarves always depictes as hunched over, tired and fragile old men? Warhammer dwarves are depicted as growing ever stronger with age to the point they stop aging altogether when they pass a certain limit
>>
File: 449-large_default.jpg (112 KB, 800x800)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>63440775
Ramshackle Games?
>>
>>63443839
The dwarf is popular in Vermintide. And every fantasy game has one.
>>
File: 5919-f72a103d-large.jpg (292 KB, 1200x900)
292 KB
292 KB JPG
>>63444099
Stabbing with a spear would be even more powerful. I agree with the warpick part, shame that warhammer total war and the like make it shoddy to use.

As for axes, this youtube video shows that an axe with a longer shaft and smaller blade head would have better piercing ability. The smaller the head the more energy is concentrated into a smaller area. The longer the ax, the more momentum and force behind the blow. The wider the axe head, the large the are of the cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q6__eEv9rk

An ax like weapon can be very versatile in that it doesn't just have to be an ax. Adding a hammer or a hook/pick to the other side can allow it to have armor piercing capabilities while relatively retaining its speed and effectiveness against lightly armored foes. A spike or spear tip like extension at the top will allow stabbing attacks.

Having a double headed ax will give back swings a danger to the foe and allow another edge for use in case one gets damaged or worn out. A Single headed ax is cheap and easy to make and easier to carry around and fight with due to the reduced weight and bulk.

Also, they can try combining axes and shovels into the same thing, creating a multipurpose tool that can also function as a weapon.
>>
>>63444565
Well, that's a really nice miniature.
Thank you :)
>>
File: Face motif- scudi 1.jpg (9 KB, 260x194)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
Hi /tg,

i'm planning to build a dwarf-themed siege tower. i want to make it clad with sheets of metal that will resemble an angry stylized dwarf face. You know, the typical warhammer flat-faced dwarf face motif.

Has anyone got any particularly inspiring example of said motif?
>>
>>63445748
A siege tower has no reason to be that ornate, or that expansive to make.
>>
>>63445967
a siege tower has no reason to look that cool.

a miniature/piece of terrain might have plenty of reasons
>>
>>63443839
I can give you three answers.

The first is a long, paranoid rant about the assault on masculinity.

The second is a shorter but less coherent rant about the demonization of conservatism.

Or, there's the short and probably most accurate observation that dwarves are pretty monolithic in their depiction in fantasy - finer details may vary, but the basic idea of short, grumpy, long-bearded, conservatively cultured old men is pretty universal. After decades of hardly changing at all, dwarves have just grown kind of tired to a lot of people.
>>
/What's the point of Duregar and Derro?
>>
To give you more enemies to fight?
>>
>>63445967
>tripfag
>"don't do cool looking thing for fun"
it's shit
>>
>>63451059
>To give you more enemies to fight?

That's a dumb reason.
>>
>>63450565
To have dwarves in the Underdark. And always evil dwarves that you can fight without thinking about it.
>>
>>63452382
The question was more for why have both? It seems redundant.
>>
Would you prefer dwarfs to go runic or mechanical.
>>
>>63453838
Runic, or mystical kirbytech,
>>
>>63454048
I don't know what kirbytech is. The first thing that comes to mind is that pink puffball that eats people. I looked it up on interest and it just showed stuff from old Fantastic Four comics, is that kirbytech?
>>
>>63454107
It's the aesthetic of technology pioneered by comic artist Jack Kirby.
>>
>>63439960
If that the case then why not have them live in shared settlements?

Dwarfs live underground while the elves live on top of them. The dwarfs provide quality construction and equipment, and the elves provide the food and medicine. In battle both races will use their respective strengths to compensate for the other's weaknesses.
>>
File: Dark dwarf crop2.png (205 KB, 427x373)
205 KB
205 KB PNG
>>63450565
>>63452382
Because Dark Dwarves are best Dwarves
>>63452551
Well, Derro are crazy hobos that yell really loud and don't really have civilizations like Dueregar do.
>>
>>63456187
>>63456187
>Derro are crazy hobos that yell really loud and don't really have civilizations like Dueregar do.

That's not enough to warrant their existence.
>>
>>63456307
Other than someone making them wanted crazed dwarf sized mental cases tied to a god of madness.
>>
File: 20197-12234cf3-large.jpg (132 KB, 1200x588)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
Runic Guardian Golems. Yea or Nay? and why?
>>
>>63457688
Depends on how high fantasy you want to go. But I think they are cool.
>>
File: 9749-0ecfd807.jpg (87 KB, 691x389)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
Dwarven Powered armor. Yea or nay?

If yea, what is it powered by?
Crystals?
Steam?
Diesel?
Tesla?
Beer?
>>
>>63457688
Big yea
>>63459235
Big nay
>>
>>
File: blacklock.jpg (1.04 MB, 1313x2721)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB JPG
>>63459297
>>
File: broadbeam.jpg (1.1 MB, 1545x2729)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB JPG
>>63459306
>>
File: firebeard.jpg (1.3 MB, 1569x2673)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
>>63459319
>>
File: ironfist.jpg (1.14 MB, 1689x2633)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB JPG
>>63459333
>>
>>63403497
>>
File: longbeard.jpg (1.11 MB, 1721x2777)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB JPG
>>63459345
>>
File: stiffbeard.jpg (1.26 MB, 1809x2945)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG
>>63459354
>>
>>63412631
Chinese Dwarven Runic Golems
>>
File: stonefoot.jpg (1.17 MB, 1745x2753)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB JPG
>>63459365
>>
>>63459372
>>
>>63459378
>>
>>63459387
>>
>>63459398
>>
>>63459407
>>
>>63459414
>>
>>63459421
>>
>>63459424
>>
>>63459431
>>
>>63459437
>>
>>63459448
>>
>>63459455
>>
>>63459464
>>
>>63459472
>>
>>63459477
>>
File: 1399597017294.jpg (336 KB, 1024x689)
336 KB
336 KB JPG
>>63459489
>>
How do you like your dwarf origins.

I'm always partial to the maggots in the flesh of dead giants.
>>
>>63459571
In my setting, the words "giants," "titans," and "gods," mean the same thing to different races. Dwarves WERE maggots in the flesh of dead giants, but giants are great divine creatures. When the Big War Between Various Gods and Devils happened A Very Long Time Ago, many gods "fell." (Can a god truly die?) Dwarves crawled out from the flesh of a fallen warrior-smith god. Like insects, they were drawn to an alluring source: the mountains that served as the "dead" god's workshop.
>>
>>63459571
Original earth and stone spirits that helped giving the world form.
>>
>>63459658
That's pretty interesting. I have something similar, except Dwarves and Giants descend from the Titans, who had the gift of crafting. Dwarves emerged from Titan corpses, while Giants are the true-born children. There is great enmity between the two.
>>
So Mountain Dwarves are the Norse viking sorts, distant hammering in great halls.

Hill Dwarves are those of the fairy mounds. More English and Ireland inspired sorts.

Grey Dwarves are a cursed and sullen kind that dwell entirely underground, forsaking the surface for infernal power.

Any other kinds of Dwarves?

Dwarf pirates?
>>
>>63459980
>So Mountain Dwarves are the Norse viking sorts, distant hammering in great halls.
Mountain dwarves are a mixture of Norse-Gaelic highlander types, medieval Swiss, and Jews. They are mostly a people focused on their hearth and home, but young and impatient dwarves set out and form mercenary companies (that refuse to fight one another if found on opposing sides) while dwarven merchants ply their trade across the land.
>Hill Dwarves are those of the fairy mounds. More English and Ireland inspired sorts.
Hill dwarves are just mountain dwarves that live on the "surface." They build hill-barrow homes akin to hobbit holes, however. They are almost exclusively farmers and are vital to the survival of the hold.
>Grey Dwarves are a cursed and sullen kind that dwell entirely underground, forsaking the surface for infernal power.
Sure. They also have a slave empire, where they rely upon goblin and orc slaves to run their industrial nightmare of a kingdom.
>Any other kinds of Dwarves?
Yes. Sand dwarves. Sand dwarves are unlike their mountain kin. Mountain dwarves find slavery wasteful. Not only are slaves incapable doing the same quality of work that a dwarf can, but they take away honest dwarf jobs. Sand dwarves are fewer in number than their mountain cousins and so don't have exactly the same issue. They dwell in the deserts and build their cities around what oases exist. In substitution of mountains and hills, they construct massive ziggurats and pyramids in which to reside. Manufactured stone structures replace the natural ones the "northern" dwarves dwell in.

Sand dwarves aren't necessarily "evil," but they are dependent on slavery and are the cornerstone of the international slave trade. Slaves in sand dwarf cities receive pretty good treatment, especially compared to anyone unfortunate enough to be enslaved by grey dwarves, orcs, goblinoids, dark elves, or some human realms.
>Dwarf pirates?
Dwarves don't like sailing, but those that do are mostly traders.
>>
>>63459571
All creatures were created by the Divine Smith, The Cosmic Architect, The Creator. Humans, Elves, Dwarves, and all sorts of beings were designed to be his children. However, a rebellion happened in heaven, and its leader was casted out from grace.

The arch betrayer and his followers then began creating perversions of creation by having his seed implanted into women, creating monsters such as trolls, orcs, and goblins.

Yes this all bears similarities with the Abrahamic faith. The dwarves are not the only ones to practice this faith but they are the most common practitioners.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.