[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1440503630200.jpg (372 KB, 2000x1346)
372 KB
372 KB JPG
comfy?
>>
File: 1474045636328.jpg (1.36 MB, 962x1196)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
>>63386520
harsh?
>>
>>63386520
Hopeful, but also fundamentally different. Life is progressing down a different path than it had before, and those who are stuck in the past are doomed to be left behind with it.
>>
File: Mb2wiTB.jpg (156 KB, 734x979)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
>>63386527
weird?
>>
File: 1452732932462.jpg (470 KB, 1800x1200)
470 KB
470 KB JPG
>>63386553
lonely?
>>
File: ozymandias13.jpg (598 KB, 2592x1944)
598 KB
598 KB JPG
>>63386520

Somber.
>>
File: ruinedcity.jpg (630 KB, 1352x592)
630 KB
630 KB JPG
Overgrown
>>
>>63386520
I'll take mine Comfy and Weird, thanks.
>>
File: wasteland.jpg (48 KB, 512x512)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>63386520
Dark Humored
>>
who run barter town?
>>
>>63386520
Lonely.
>>
>>63388132
you mean devil town right? you know it's colder in the summer time
>>
File: riddleywalker.jpg (1.4 MB, 1210x1679)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB JPG
>>
>>63386520
Big iron with a side of jungle jangle spurs.
More comfy than harsh, but not for comfy. Darkness, but in such a way that it makes the light shine brighter
>>
How do you run a campaign to mirror a certain aesthetic or feeling you get from an image?
>>
File: 3HGBbgm.jpg (147 KB, 800x543)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
>>
File: 208753_screenshot_05_l.jpg (116 KB, 800x450)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>63386520
Tragic.
>>
File: 1486527307525.png (730 KB, 598x597)
730 KB
730 KB PNG
>>63386520
>post-apocalypse?

Actually my favourite idea planted in my head by a half rationalised CYOA was a nomadic noahs-ark type game where humanity has been systematically holocausted off of earth, now it is only the most fringe elements of humanity that survive and to avoid the enemy which they cannot hope to defeat, they have to explore even further into unknown areas.

Our story joins the vessel of a mercenary company carrying refugees from a colony satellight. No one is quite sure who runs the vessel, but the Captain is sure its him, and his mercs know nothing else but to serve him.

The refugees were selected from the colony based on their usefullness, some are doctors, some are engineers, some managed to bribe their way on board.

Your character, should you choose to accept it, is Kurt Chu, a cop that used to police the mean streets of the capital. Kurt's always like the martial arts, maybe because hes Chinese living in a United Constellations colony. He paid as much as any guy would for a jet-car to get his fibre optic nervouse system bionic. Now his reaction speed has been cut to half a second. Armed only with his service pistol and his wits, it remains to be seen if he can make a living amongst all these doctors and engineers. He moves down the crowded hallway to a door alcove, avoiding the littered possessions and families huddled together, while watching Key Largo on his vid-glass. He couldnt help but think to himself; what has he got itself into now?
>>
>>63386546
Mr House did nothing wrong.
>>
Comfy but risky. You'd have a smart-phone and multi-tool and a pocket knife, because you'd need them all on a daily basis, and you'd know how to use a gun and how to do basic coding.
>>
>>63389563

the situation for any individual or family would be middle class ish by our standards, but would be in about as much danger of getting involved in a violent feud as mountain clans in medieval times
>>
>>63386520
All I want from post-apocalypse scenarios and fiction is for it to remember that a strong community and a willingness to help and receive help are what actually keeps you alive in a crisis situation. A gun and a willingness to kill will probably just get you dead
>>
>>63389773
So much this. That's why post-apoc and war scenarios are so comfy.
then I remember that both also have heaps of terrible shit that people do to other people and get less starry-eyed. But still.
>>
>>63389773
There's nothing particularly comfy or pleasant about the circumstances of extreme scarcity and ruin you find in post apocalypse scenarios. The people with the meanest authoritarian streaks will wind up taking charge of any resources out there and anyone who wants a piece will have to play ball. Just take any IRL failed state and magnify its problems to a global level.
>>
Something like old DayZ back when it was still a mod.

Just you, your friends, some AKs, and a shitty eastern bloc car of your choice. Or a Japanese pickup that somehow ended up in Russia if you'd prefer that.

Just doing whatever shit you feel like. Shooting each other's feet with pistols for fun only to heal each other up again, trying to steal some unlucky faggot's helicopter and just general fucking around.
>>
>>63390724
That is an apocalypse scenario. Post-apocalypse is when people have started to re-establish themselves. Which is when community wins out over selfishness.
>>
>>63390928
Not necessarily the case when the new world order those communities are built in is one established by people who were used to life a certain way then thrust into a world of extreme chaos and scarcity. Sure eventually things will return to some level of normalcy but it'll still be primitive and tribal.

I think your appraisal of humanity is way too optimistic.
>>
File: Scrapland_cracks.jpg (504 KB, 750x499)
504 KB
504 KB JPG
>>63386520

I like mine completely lifeless and uninhabitable. I like my maximum doom and gloom. I can't be the only one.
>>
>>63391106
Empty melancholy is certainly pretty but for a game I like there being a lot of horrible living hazards.
>>
File: a ykk alpha.jpg (3.8 MB, 2501x2342)
3.8 MB
3.8 MB JPG
>>63386520
With a nice hot cup of coffee.
>>
>>63386553
What's this from?
>>
>>63389501
Sounds pretty dumb my guy, what is supposed to happen?
>>
>>63391106
but the half-life 2 beta wasn't /completely/ uninhabitable; only mostly
>>
>>63386546
>Peace Through MOE
>>
>>63389501
First part of that pitch is literally Battlestar Galactica.
>>
>>63386520
Full of lolis.
>>
>>63386546
I'm running a post-apoc that is the reverse of this. The powers that be go out of their way to convince humanity at large that, despite a rough period of history recently, nothing has fundamentally changed, and the American way of life with all its baseball and apple pies marches on.
This, of course, couldn't be farther from the truth.
Apart from a few walled communities where normalcy is enforced, most the world is a desolate wasteland full of radiation monsters, marauding raiders, and other horrifying things.
Your local, one-stop-shop corporations just go out of their way to make sure you don't think too hard about that.
>>
>>63392485
Codex Seraphinianus.
Pretty good book to be honest.
>>
File: 1512560504104.jpg (307 KB, 589x832)
307 KB
307 KB JPG
Comfy Harsh Mc'weird.
>>
>>63389544
Trying to start space colonies when the entire planet is fried and fucked is pretty stupid anon.
>>
>>63393154
God I want to get her some warm pants.
>>
Brutal. Apocalypse raider for life.
>>
>>63393233
Thats a boy you shota lovin catfaced bastad'
>>
>>63386553
>None shall pass by the traffic paladin's right side, for he has sworn to obstruct all commutation thusly
>But freely may ye pass by his left, for that is permitted by the sacred sign, but only after giving an offering of amber light
>>
>>63393265
reguardless, that is a child and its legs look cold.
>>
Australian.
>>
>>63393391
Wholesome response
>>
Fallout soured me on the prospect
>>
>>63390928
No. Apocalypse is the event that causes widespread destruction. Post-apocalypse is literally anything after the destructive event, but still in the midst of the destruction.
>>
>>63386546
The Bastion route, I see.
>>
File: 1464914419344.jpg (93 KB, 736x960)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
Brutal and violent, as well as strange and terrifying, but with hope for tomorrow.
>>
I like mine to be in the process fo rebuilding, with kingdoms and new territories arising from the old. Where old world cities can become new world nations, and a diversity of cultures has cropped up in relatively close proximity with one another
>>
>>63391033
>I think your appraisal of humanity is way too optimistic.
Well when your depiction of the inhabitants of a post-apocalyptic world is cute girls wearing immaculate schoolgirl outfits spending their days in leisure that's probably to be expected.
>>
>>63392802
Sounds good to me.
>>
>>63386520
I prefer a setting that isn't afraid to progress beyond "everything still looks the way it did the day after the bombs fell."

In what way it progresses exactly depends entirely on the style and tone of the game, but there's nothing more boring than Fallout-style "absolutely nothing changes for 200 years because reasons."
>>
>>63386546
I really liked the feel New Vegas had, where parts of the world had mostly rebuilt and become stable societies, but the rest was still a Mad Max hellscape frontier.
Not enough post-apocalyptic stuff does that.
>>
File: Kjell-625x352.jpg (35 KB, 625x352)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>63393492
>President of Australia gives inaugural speech, Australia, circa 1995, colourized
>>
I really like a return to medieval or lower technology with a select few maintaining the knowledge of the past for when it can be used again. Comfy villages nestled into the overgrown ruins of cities. Using the occasional anachronistic bit of preserved technology, bootstrapped into a hardly working wind turbine for power. Fresh faced youth curious about the past stumbling into the mostly destroyed leftovers of the past, battling barely functioning security systems, rusted and moss covered robots, using ancient artifacts like flashlights. The old days are nearly myths with kernels of truth that are being obscured by time, but not so long that technology is considered magic.

And that one civilization that managed to preserve more technology than others that's trying to restore the old days at any cost, portrayed as a potential antagonist because of their methods, but the standard of living for their people is undeniably better.
A world at the crossroads between moving and trying something new and returning to the past, with all its good and bad.
>>
File: 6.jpg (296 KB, 836x1200)
296 KB
296 KB JPG
>>63386520
Weird, outwardly almost silly at first glance, but still full of interesting conflict and drama.
For example, Ryoko, a series whose premise is "The Japanese government accidentally Resident Evil'd the entire supply of food ingredients in the country, now it's a desolate post-apocalypse where people fight food monsters to survive."
>>
>>63396546
I personally don't think Road Warrior has been topped for post-apocalyptic aesthetics
It spawned a thousand imitators, but they could never get it
>>
>>63397537
Road Warrior was inspired by a Boy and his Dog, though.
>>
>>63386520
I'm trying to work on a post-apocalyptic setting right now that's like an 80's version of fallout.

Tone could probably be described as metal-album. Some people can find room to relax and some peace, but there's also a bunch of explosions and awesome stuff everywhere. By that same token, there's hope for the future, and things aren't permanently fucked.
>>
>>63389773
Paradoxically humans seem to share more the less we have. It's the same principle with how the gangs often have better crisis response and management than do rich neighborhoods.
>>
>>63398303
In terms of the dusty wasteland and everything being scavenged and cobbled together, sure. The pseudo-medieval, leather-clad punkish barbarians and the vehicles with things bolted on at either end was all Mad Max, though.
>>
>>63386520
I like it when post apoclyptic worlds start out harsh but over time are rebuilt into comfy if very different worlds.
I remember a line from the Fallout 3 character Moira Brown which was something like "The world was like a stain glass window, after the bombs fell it was as if somebody tossed a brick threw that window and now we can't find all the pieces, and while the world will never again be as it was we can still pick up the pieces that are left and make something new and beautiful out of it" It think that encapsulates what I'm saying well, My main interest in post apocylptic fiction is seeing what people build out of the ashes of our modern civilization rather than angsting about it's loss.
>>
>>63398464
Old World Blues, and the other F:NV add-ons also do a good job of showing the other ends of the spectrum- being so caught up with the past, which was it's own fascist totalitarian nightmare, that one can't look up and accept what is.
>>
>>63386520
post-post-apocalypse
things aren't collapsed and broken anymore
things are rebuilt
they might never be the same again but
hope rides again
>>
>>63398517
NCR was a mistake
>>
>>63398793
NCR did nothing wrong.
>>
File: GQqtI.jpg (499 KB, 1920x1280)
499 KB
499 KB JPG
>>63386520
toxic
>>
Dystopian.
>>
nature taking over has always been my favorite. Bonus points if something like a massive EMP destroyed most technology, so the world is limited to old fashioned tech.

My setting had a massive cloud of icy asteroids strike/burn up in the atmosphere, so a lot of lands have been drowned and turned into mangrove swamps. The party is currently in the remains of Florida with a small sailing vessel
>>
>>63398941
Even if you destroy the initial tech, getting back to at least an industrial age level wouldn't be that hard.
>>
>>63398517
>Fallout 1: minimal mention of pre-war life outside the Glow, just about survival
>FNV: heavy prewar references as humanity rebuilds and grapples with how much respect the past should be given
"The hardest part is letting go" is a pretty powerful message in a post-apocalyptic setting. Most of them just assume a clean slate. FNV recognizes that nothing is ever clean of the past. The only characters who have truly let go funnily enough are the Enclave, and their entire quest line is about making them own their history.
>>
>>63399042
Well that one part of the enclave.

I do want to see a heroic version of the enclave though that's given up on the eugenics angle, and acts more like the Brotherhood of Steel (if not for Eden, the Enclave would have unironically improved the quality of life in the Capital Wasteland).
>>
>>63386520
Hopeful: Thing are terrible, but not so much that they can't be improved, although it will take a lot of efforts.
>>
>>63399011
We've already exhausted every easily obtainable ore and natural resource
>>
>>63388277
what did she mean by that?
>>
File: download.jpg (4 KB, 225x225)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
Moat often Green, but sometimes red.
>>
>>63398815
No but they're going to
>>
>>63398303
>Road Warrior was inspired by a Boy and his Dog, though.
Not even a little but that's okay.
>>
>>63400496
Harlan Elison claims Miller called him and admitted it.
> I had George Miller call me from Australia to tell me The Road Warrior was ripped off—and he used the phrase “ripped off”—from A Boy And His Dog, and that he wanted to thank me
https://thedissolve.com/features/interview/73-harlan-ellison-on-taking-flak-for-but-admiring-a-b/
>>
File: GW Tempus.jpg (384 KB, 900x1465)
384 KB
384 KB JPG
A Boy and his Dog mixed with with early Gamma World. The theme is preserving and rebuilding in a harsh setting.

Pic is cute but tangential.
>>
>>63389214
Part of me would kinda want to die with the rest in a post apocalyptic world if all humanity dies and the other part kinda wants to be cryogenically preserved and discovered by Yorha members so i could become a breeding stud for their artificial wombs fucking 2B and 9S everyday. Also pic related is an extremely interesting and comfy post apocalyptic story.
>>
>>63392281
That series was so comfy it left depressed for weeks
>>
>>63391033
>primitive and tribal
that means community and collaboration is the most important.
>>
>>63401100
Are they the parents of those kittens?
>>
>>63391106
It too enjoy the dark. Especially when it is a warm dark.
>>
Feudal desu
>>
I like my own setting the best - 600 years after apocalypse - world moved on - 0 tech but about 20% population lived through it so some of the skills are not lost (tech is lost because of some pretty other earthy occurrences) - no magic but wird tech connected to new things that apocalypse brought us. Social problems like corporations, religion and stuff evolved and twisted so it's fun place to live and die.
>>
>>63393154
wait a sec is that the skaven scribe
>>
File: japari park exploring.jpg (1.08 MB, 1920x1080)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
sugoii
>>
>>63392281
>>63401408
Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko?
>>
Painful
>>
File: 1466972810392.jpg (632 KB, 1283x1800)
632 KB
632 KB JPG
>>63399333

In my post-apocalyptic setting, an experimental AI that was sent to prepare a colony on Mars before shit hit the fan on earth began to interpret its directives in ways its developers didn't anticipate, and is in the process of strip mining the asteroid field to lay the foundations for a Martian civilization. At the moment, it's terraforming the red planet and kidnapping random humans to harvest for genetic samples in its attempt to genetically engineer an ubermensch perfectly suited to post-earth colonization. In a thousand years, once it's estimated it'll have terraformed Mars and prepared the red planet for post-human habitation, its mechanized swarms will descend to exterminate the mutants and devolved subhumans, spread a retroviral plague to rewrite human reproductive DNA to produce ubermensch children, and begin integrating the last of the primitives into the post-scarcity transhumanist-eugenicist paradise it's prepared. The AI has caused the rise of several technocentric prophets in the past, and there's a slew of human and mutant doomsday and messianic cults dedicated to the idea, and each is, to some extent, absolutely, objectively correct.
>>
>>63393174
>planet is fucked
>space colonies area bad idea
>>
Whatever kind of setting where women are not unbearable, shrill bitches and are actually capable of love.
>>
>>63395912
Same here. I really like that contrast.
>>
>>63399144
Fallout 3 lore is complete garbage and bastardises all previous fallout set pieces, like the enclave, the BoS, and the super mutant army.
Fallout Houston never.
>>
File: IMG_1311.gif (2.49 MB, 498x261)
2.49 MB
2.49 MB GIF
S H I N Y A N D C H R O M E
>>
>>63408063

M E D I O C R E
>>
I honestly love the STALKER route, where the "apocalypse' was contained into an area rather than the whole world, and now five hundred people are struggling to survive and thrive in an area meant for 50,000.
>>
>>63386520
Green. I like it green and lush. Brown and dirty bore me to tears. I will never understand why people think apocalypse means everything is dirty now. If you are dirty you are uncomfortable, and most people who are surviving can probably afford a few minutes to clean up some. Related note, I fucking hate the interiors of buildings in all the Fallout games because with a few restrictions they are all covered in dirt. I guess the nukes vaporized all the wash rags?
>>
>>63390771
I read about old DayZ online and was so pumped to play it. An online multiplayer area where you scavenge to survive zombies and find allies to increase your odds of survival? Hell yeah. The only thing better would be if you could do all that and also build a base which could eventually grow into a trading post and then a town.

But no, DayZ turned into that shit fiesta. I think some of my inner hope was crushed the first time I watched a video of someone playing it. Dude got spawn sniped twice and then shot to death after finding a backpack.
>>
File: 1542031053268.jpg (1 MB, 3814x2934)
1 MB
1 MB JPG
>>63402542
I think so.
>>
>>63409360
Who rode it better?
>>
File: nuke-dr-strangelove.gif (3.8 MB, 368x184)
3.8 MB
3.8 MB GIF
>>63409475
>>
File: coyote-and-rocket.jpg (25 KB, 446x336)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>63409641
Sexy, but we're talking rockets, not bombs. /k/ would bite through their bayonets if they saw what you'd done.

Personally I'd go with pic related.
>>
>>63386520
I love settings where its abundantly clear that this is actually the end, and that humanity or the universe will be dead in short order no matter what. Not even because of some catastrophe, but just because the end had to happen at some point and that entropy will always catch up to us. People just have to make peace with the ephemeral nature of the world and continue to give a shit. Because it doesn't matter if the sun goes out 20 billion years from now or tomorrow, you still hold each other close.
>>
File: Halls_of_justice.jpg (36 KB, 814x421)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
I prefer a sort of 'during the apocalypse', where everything is circling the drain. Law and order is at a breaking point, there's violence in the streets and everything is going bust, but it's still recognisable as a society, albeit one that's barely holding up. Think the first Mad Max.
>>
Thoroughly enjoyed this game. Everything about it was the right level of post-apoc
>>
>>63406009
I guess sugoi is okay as well.
>>
>>63410575

You and me both. I like the chaos and anarchy of the transition, watching everything falling apart. The beginning of zombie shows (or flashbacks to the outbreak period) are always the best bits. Or that first part of The Stand when everyone is just going apeshit because they've figured out that the virus is unstoppable. It's a weird thrill, I admit, watching civilization come apart at the seams.
>>
>>63410156

Have you ever scene the Australian movie "These Final Hours"? The premise is that a giant world-killing asteroid hits Greenland and sets the atmosphere on fire. The people in Australia know there's a giant wall of fire racing across the globe that will be there in just a few hours and there's absolutely nothing they can do. It's a depressing, but very interesting movie.
>>
>>63410879
There was another Aussie movie adapted from a book called 'On The Beach', which deals with an impending wave of nuclear fallout that will hit Melbourne after a global thermonuclear war, basically looking at a group of people coping with their inevitable deaths.
They really love their apocalypses down under.
>>
>>63386520
gamma world goofy
>>
>>63408541
>allies

Only allies were the friends you logged on with. And snipers weren't a problem back when you could find AKMs in fire stations.
>>
>>63405974
Ye
>>
>>63410979

How about this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c66w6fVqOI
>>
File: 1439139686674.jpg (18 KB, 264x350)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>63391106
>the Shadowlands after being scoured by grandmother after the sixth great maelstrom
>>
>>63391033
>Sure eventually things will return to some level of normalcy but it'll still be primitive and tribal.

Well primitive and tribal are kind of realtive. Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan and Native American societies are all very tribal in nature. How that actually translates into anything is a whole other matter.

"Primitive" is also relative. It's not like humanity went straight from stone tools to smart phones or that technologies in existence are evenly distributed throughout populations throughout the world. There's a very large in between area where you can have a lot less than your average 2018 North American/Western European and still not be considered "primitive" and actually lead a perfectly fine and fulfilling life. Humanity's had shit like metal tools, textiles, agriculture, democracy, running water, and many other luxuries etc for far longer than it's had steam power or electricity.
>>
>>63408063
Fucking killstealers, man.
>>
File: 24.jpg (44 KB, 640x480)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>63409360
>>63409475
>>63409832
https://youtu.be/k58wihIiyR4
>>
>>63410979
Would fallout really cause everyone's deaths like that? I'm pretty sure fallout is quite easy to protect against
>>
File: wU1w7199bo7_1280.jpg (201 KB, 1280x720)
201 KB
201 KB JPG
>The Apocalypse is a distant legend, though the scars it left on the world are still clearly visible, if you know what you're looking at
>>
Post apocalypse post apocalypse post apocalypse.

The idea is that every few thousand years humans fuck something up and experience a severe population bottleneck and enter a new dark age.

In this current one, people have mysterious powers that are the result of genetic engineering prior to the collapse.
>>
>>63406144
yeah
>>
>>63386520
Three parts Cascadia, one part CATastrophe, one part The Postman, sprinkled with liberal amount of Wasteland influences.
So very much hopeful and going back on track. Quite literally. But also always starting in deep shit and desperation. Things only improve if both party actions and factors beyond PC influence will allow it. I also keep things small when running such campaigns. The current one is going for past 2 years, as always set in Willamette Valley and yet despite regular games and a lot of shit going on, the furthest the party ever reached was Grants Pass
>>
>>63413202
So you basically play Numenera?
>>
>>63386520
I prefer mine surreal and crossing the boarder into the supernatural, as if reality itself is deteriorating along with the ruins of civilization. Games like Dark Woods, Metro 2033, and Lone Survivor come to mind. I kind of like the post-apocalyptic world to be metaphorical to some degree. As long as it's not another bland zombie scenario. If you're going to fill the world with monsters, at least make them Interesting. Give me some smart zombies that talk or something.

You also have to remember that in such a scenario, you no longer have access to mass media, so you have no idea what the rest of the world is going through. You could be in the last habitable area, or be isolated in a quarantined zone while the rest of the world goes on as normal. The uncertainty adds a lot of intrigue. The lack of information on what's going on in the big picture adds to the feeling of being lost and confused in a chaotic pile of ruins. It reflects the state of mind one enters when they go through any kind of disaster, physical or psychological.
>>
>>63393082
So... Fallout's Enclave?
>>
File: 1438033142465.jpg (160 KB, 770x1037)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>>63390724
>IRL failed state and magnify its problems to a global level.
'Failed states' exist because they're stuck in the geopolitics of superpowers.

In a post-apocalyptic setting there'd be no such powers, instead we'd likely see a return to communal forms of life - and after a while we might see the rise of city-state powers and then Empires as an large enough surplus accumulates to sustain them. Still, even that is no certainty, Assyria arose in an age of spears and bows, but a post-apocalyptic world will have at least rudimentary firearms - not to mention very different ideologies and ethics.

>>63391033
I'd sincerely suggest you'd read even the most rudimentary introduction to anthropology if you think "tribal and primitive" equals some Hobbesian war against all.
>>
File: 1461042972151.jpg (68 KB, 480x600)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>63413879
>'Failed states' exist because they're stuck in the geopolitics of superpowers.
>In a post-apocalyptic setting there'd be no such powers

Failed states happen when decision-makers are unable to create a stable and self-affording polity. This happens regularly.
Post-apocalyptic settings would definitely have predatory, much stronger other forces. Chiefdoms are very communal in nature, if you didn't know.

For someone who namedrops Hobbes you sound very Rousseauian
>>
>>63413975
>Failed states happen when decision-makers are unable to create a stable and self-affording polity
Google Patrice Lumumba.

>Post-apocalyptic settings would definitely have predatory, much stronger other forces. Chiefdoms are very communal in nature, if you didn't know.
Did you actually read my post?
>>
>>63386520
High Fantasy.
>>
File: 1540689671193.jpg (81 KB, 640x461)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>63409360
>>63409475
>>63409641
Finally I have a context to use this picture again.
>>
File: longship.jpg (901 KB, 2500x1668)
901 KB
901 KB JPG
>>63414034
Patrice Lumumba and other African politicians aren't proof that everything would be fine were it not for those pesky europeans that fucked everything up. Good leaders arnt omnipotent, they can't fix everything and there are more factors than superpowers when it comes to state-building.

>did you actually read my post?
Yes? Conflict doesn't arise because social cohesion allows warfare on a large scale, but rather, usually, because of scarcity and lack of monopoly on violence.
>>
File: 1438035041527.jpg (238 KB, 869x1200)
238 KB
238 KB JPG
>>63414501
>Patrice Lumumba and other African politicians aren't proof that everything would be fine were it not for those pesky europeans that fucked everything up. Good leaders arnt omnipotent, they can't fix everything and there are more factors than superpowers when it comes to state-building.
I've said absolutely nothing like this. My argument has always been that 'failed states' arise out of geopolitical conflict - be it Afghanistan, Congo, or the ME. The only one whose narrowed down the complex structures of international relations and states down to individual "decision-makers" are you.

>Conflict doesn't arise because social cohesion allows warfare on a large scale, but rather, usually, because of scarcity and lack of monopoly on violence.
The monopoly of violence is the organizing of society necessary for warfare. Tribal skirmishes are not comparable, and it's mistaken to collapse them both into one category. The skirmishes you describe a rare events in otherwise often stable and for 'raiding cultures' to develop there requires the former type to interact with - Viking raids to sell slaves in Byzantium for example.

To clarify my point: we cannot know how a post-apocalyptic world will look like obviously, but what we know from disaster situations is that people come together more often than a collapse into 'chaos'. From what we know of anthropology and archaeology, prehistory wasn't a particularly violent period - obviously conflict arose, but there was no room for 'raiding civilizations'. A functioning tribal group invests it's time in hunting, gathering, or horticulture - not raiding walmarts.

Now, say we move into the post-post-apocalyptic time, what will happen? It's competently possible we'll see the rise of Neo-Babylon or whatever, complete with slave raids and whatnot. But it's also fully possible that the organizations that arise our of the ashes of the old world continue on the path that ensured their survival in the first place - cooperation.
>>
>>63415196
>My argument has always been that 'failed states' arise out of geopolitical conflict
And this is grossly oversimplified, and thus far you've not explained or put out any arguments in favour of this conclusion, so there's not really anything for me to respond to.

'raiding' cultures like Vikings who sought farmland in England? Like steppe nomads who settle around relevant mineral and metallic deposits? Like people displaced by natural events, internal strife, unsustainable population growth, or new migrants forcing tem out?

The difference between prehistory and post-apocalypse is that prehistory has nothing but natural resources, whereas post-apocalypse generally has ancient and very applicable technology, walmarts, as well as a landscape full of decaying urban centers, old infrastructure. and generally still higher technology than nomadic pastoralists and hunter-gatherers. Both horse nomads and sedentary agricultural communities developed warfare, and the best way to avoid that seems to be not to adopt horsemanship or agriculture.

Humans would never reach post-post-apocalypse without conflict and competition; that's not how mammals work.
>>
>>63410575
Me too. I like seeing how the End begins and progresses, rather than it's distant aftermath where it has passed into legend.
>>
>>6341519
>>63416034

The reality is that the situation is far more complicated, as there are clearly underlying "invisible" cultural factors DEEP at play that we aren't aware off. We know there is not one universal process or pattern of behavior that would happen, the results will dramatically differ on a case-by-case basis.
A good illustration of how much we lack actual methodical understanding of society under pressure is the DIAMETRICALLY different reactions of people during crisis between say, the Hurricane Catherina in US and the Tohoku great Earthquake in Japan.

What we can say with absolute certainity is that it is not, and never was, about scarcity of resources itself. Assuming that less technology or less resources results in increased violence is one of the dumbest theories in the word, sadly one that is often heavily peddled by proponents of evolutionaristic anthropological schools which curiously enough include both radical left and radical right thinkers.

As for more long term social reorganization under lack of strong state-like organization, all we know (again) is that there is NO ONE UNIVERSAL pattern, but we can with ceratain degree of safety assume that ultimately, cooperative behavior will outweigh hostile and competetive behavior in most cases and that in general, violence will have a tendency to becamo delegated to secondary and often more ritualistic OPTIONAL way of solving problems in out-groups, while in-group cooperation will almost certainly quickly became far more tightly knit than what we are today.
>>
>>63416666
>in general, violence will have a tendency to becamo delegated to secondary and often more ritualistic OPTIONAL way of solving problems in out-groups

How and why?
Also, very many conflicts have been fought over resources.
>>
>>63417193
>Also, very many conflicts have been fought over resources.
Yet the volume of cooperation is and always has been INCOMPARABLY larger than the volume of conflicts over resources. Cooperation is generally a preferable option for human kind because unlike conflict, it results in none-zero-sum game. Conflict really only emerges either as a specific form of cooperation (ritualized, agonal conflict which is historically far more prevalent than total war), or as a final solution when cooperation simply becomes out of question. Or as an occasional form of opportunism (plurality of human behavioral strategies is a thing for strictly evolutionary reasons too).
That should also answer your first two questions.

Modern understand of human society - especially the idiotic "radical" theories of both right and wrong - is largely based on factually wrong premises. Emphasis on resource availability is wrong, especially when it comes to explaining human sociopathological behavior. Again, we know this, there is AMPLE evidence for that (for an example, the provable correlation between sociopathology and relative poverty, but not absolute poverty), yet modern western social discourses continue to ignore this because they refuse to let go of ancient evolutionaristic or marxistic foundations of their teachings.

Preferring conflict and violence to cooperative behavior is not a long term efficient, sustainable strategy. Conflict IS part of our nature, but less so than cooperation. Everything else is a matter of how large group can you get to cooperate, how efficiently and reliably, and how much you allow for violence to be outlet within the largely cooperative behavioral strategies.
>>
>>63413122
Nature is magical to make perfectly ring-shaped mountains and valleys like that!
>>
>>63418605
I assume you have never heard of an impact crater?
>>
>>63389544
He looked and stayed in the past and not to the future
He was wrong from the beginning
He would have been wrong in the end as well
>>
>>63418731
Is that a sort of Magic?
>>
>how do you like your post-apocalypse?
Melancholic, slow, gradual, juxtaposing the sadness of what has been lost with the awe over things that somehow endure.
Things like
>Comfy
>Overgrown
>Lonely
>Somber
And ones you forgot:
>Subltle
and
>Majestic
Are to me just tools to convey the actual fundamental lesson and impression: one of tragic, but ultimately peaceful acceptance of the inevitability of time and it's power over us.

To me, it was the Japanese outlook on apocalypse that always incredibly resonated with me. I think Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is my absolute favorite post-apocalyptic work ever.
But other works, like Naushicaa, Shuna's Journey, Evangelion, Now and Then, Jinrui wa Suitaishimashita, Trigun or even fucking Those Who Hunt Elves in a sense, are really damn worth looking into as well. Japs have an odd way of viewing time, and of ends.

I was always aiming for that kind of feel in my post apo.

Your standard Fallout 3 style brown or red desert with lots of dead bodies bores me to death. Though Fo1 did things very well.
>>
>>63386520
Probably a better example of this somewhere, but all I can think of off the top of my head is like BoTW. Towns that have recovered fully and are growing some, with trading posts in between. Travel is not without its own risk, but easily doable in at least pairs. Ruins laying about overgrown and with treasure still around. However, there are still certain places you do not want to go unless you are crazy, and the things that caused the apocalypse can still be seen roaming ar, still extremely dangerous and beyond what they can handle
>>
>>63390724
That makes assumptions about how the apocalypse happened.

A particularly virulent plague could leave a world behind with a lot of resources and few people.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.