[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Halo?
>>
>>63374396
Alo alo!
>>
>>63374396
It's dead. 343 killed it.
>>
>>63374396
hello?
>>
Is it me you're looking for?
>>
File: danglefone.jpg (28 KB, 852x480)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>63374449
I don't know why you said goodbye I said hello!
>>
>>63374579
This started with Bungie during Reach, 343 tried to get it back into popularity by making Halo more CoD like but fucked up on that end. Halo 5 has pretty good multi-player for nuhalo, old arena style is still the best though. Say what you want about 343 they've been actively listening to the community and have been improving since, Halo is slowly back on the rise but until we see infinite gameplay it's best to stay skeptical.
>>
>>63374600
I can see it in your eyes.
>>
>>63374944
343 murdered anything interesting about the game's lore and the art style is complete shit. I can't stand all the tacticool crap.
>>
>>63374983
I'll give you the art style, though 343 are currently working back towards the original one
Bungie started
>(power) Reach Rangers™
>Muh sprint
>Muh tacticool
>Reach retconned the fuck out of 3 books
Seriously we didn't even need reach, all that cool shit the books introduced was wiped away by reach.
343 did ruin lore in a lot of ways, the only good thing to come out of their lore so far was the forerunner books but even those were meh
>>
>>63375036
Only book I read was Contact: Harvest. I generally avoid tie-in novels.

My biggest beef with 343 is the way they overexplained the Forerunners. Bungie did such a great job of making them feel ancient and mythical. I liken 343's expansion to how the Star Wars EU turned everything into a dumbass forever war between Jedi and Sith.
>>
>>63374396
I say Fantasy Halo. Like WH Fantasy and 40k.
>>
>>63375059
Basically the trilogy books introduced Linda, Fred, and Kelly, as well as some other Spartans, it also explains what happens in between halo CE and 2, they were the best, and currently still are the best halo based book series but seriously fuck with the Canon.
343 ruined the hell out of the mystery surrounding the forerunners, honestly the only thing mysterious about halo are the precursors
>>
>>63375194
Oh yeah, that's another thing I dislike about nu-Halo: Spartan wank.

Like, I know technically that really started in the Bungie era but it's gone too far. Spartans were more interesting in the original games when it's heavily implied the whole program is defunct and Chief is all that's left. Makes his character more interesting.
>>
>>63375223
Halo CE hinted at Linda being there in a cryopod because of severe wounds gotten during the battle for reach, Halo 4 did the Spartans well showing that Spartan 4s were really just normal people given augmentation and a suit, but halo 5 blew everything out of the fucking water
>>
>>63375059
>I generally avoid tie-in novels
Then you've made a great mistake. Barring the shit from Traviss, which is just prime ONI wank, the Halo novels are the best part about the franchise.

Since I'm not here to talk about gameplay, the only things I don't like from 343 lore-wise were Spartan IVs and the general lack of care for logistics. Art style aside. I could go all day on the art style. But the logistics. There are, according to the last Bungie statistics, less than a billion humans left, yet somehow they're recolonizing a shit ton of planets and have the resources to build a CAS sized ship, staff it completely, and also have an enormous standing military of not only regular military personnel, but also enough for an entirely new branch of bargain bin Spartans-- never mind that they're also sending huge teams out to places like the Ark and the expanding Onyx shield world.
>>
>>63375254
>There are, according to the last Bungie statistics, less than a billion humans left
How the fuck did that happen. I know the Covenant attacked Earth but how did they kill that many people.
>>
>>63375270
It wasn't just earth, most of if not all of the outer and inner colonies were wiped of life and glassed
>>
>>63375036
How does Reach fuck with canon? It's not like Noble are the only Spartans on the planet, or that they suddenly added significantly more S2s. George is the only S2 there, the rest are just S3s with an upgrade package, and they all die in the end to not have future impact anyway.
>>
>>63375322
There's too much to name but one of the easier omissions is the orbital guns and the massive fleet battle that occurred over the planet.
>>
>>63375310
>it's mostly about the start of the Spartan program.
Eh, again, that's like the least interesting part of the setting to me. As far as I'm concerned "there was this supersoldier program, this guy is the only one left" is all I really need to know.

For me the coolest part of Halo was always the Covenant and the Flood, and the heavy religious undertones surrounding the Forerunners. The original game was basically "what if the Colonial Marines from Aliens landed on a four billion year-old church". That was cool. The franchise really moved away from that in later games to focus more on military sci fi action.
>>
>>63375322
All the shit with Cortana and the pillar of Autumn? Ya know where Halsey gives Cortana to chief then they leave on the PoA before the covenant even gets to the planet then they turn to help then flee when more show up?
>>
>>63375310
Consensus on Ghosts of Onyx? I enjoyed it, personally.
>>
>>63375391
>>63375403
That seems like a fairly small change in the grand scheme of things, considering the end point is still upwards of 28 dead Spartans and a ship fleeing from a lost fight with an important AI.
>>
>>63375445
Theirs a lot more than that like Halsey not even knowing what an SIII was until First Strike, that and noble team shouldn't have shields as chief got to do a test run of the new armor and was the only one to receive it at that point
>>
File: IMG_0705.jpg (233 KB, 628x453)
233 KB
233 KB JPG
On the topic of Halo, has anyone played this game?
>>
>>63375410
Ghosts of Onyz is one of my favorites, Legacy of Onyx was a fucking waste of a good setting, Tom catches and throws back a plasma grenade at one point
>>
>>63375496
I've wanted to play this or halo ground command but the guys who made them isn't around anymore so finding the sets for it is difficult
>>
>>63375447
All I really remember from Contact Harvest was Johnson nearly going full-on STOLEN VALOR on a corpsman for commenting about how easy it is to get laid as an active duty serviceman. Felt out of character.
>>
>>63375512
I don't remember that but I do remember that he gave that Arab chick the bbc at the end. Makes it kinda funny in context.
>>
>>63375059
I'd disagree because I think the Forerunner trilogy was really great, but desu the games absolutely bungled that concept at every turn so I don't blame anyone for hating it. Halo 4 did some things well but the Forerunners sure as fuck weren't among them.

And then there's 5, at which point you might as well write off the lore entirely until they've cleaned up that mess.

>>63375496
Yeah, it's pretty solid but also extremely dead.
>>
>>63375543
Yeah he made it clear he thought the corpsman's remarks were massively inappropriate. Then at the end he plows a ranking officer from a military intelligence program--literally on the engineering deck--which I'm sure violated all sorts of protocols.

Though I admit I was amused when it implied that was what he was thinking of when he told Cortana he knows what the ladies like.
>>
>>63375403
Spartan IIIs were created in the 2530s-40s I believe so the timeline isn't an issue. The MO for Spartan IIIs was massive suicide missions on high value targets that usually had 100% casualty rates. Only about 8 we're supposed to have been alive by the end of ghost of onyx so Noble still doesn't make sense. IIRC they they hand waved it as Noble team being recruits that we're hand picked for special treatment and didnt participate in the usual suicide missions.
>>
>>63375571
Grinding treads, obviously.
>>
>>63375591
Well in Cortana's case it was probably autistic gingers but that's close enough in terms of personality.

>>63375588
>IIRC they they hand waved it as Noble team being recruits that we're hand picked for special treatment
Gonna be honest that almost makes the program feel more like one of those high school animes but the high school is for mech pilots or PMCs or some shit.
>>
>>63375623
Cortana also likes Crazy, so it fits pretty well I'd say.
>>
>>63375623
Halo has always been an anime, Master Chief first suit design took heavy inspiration from a mecha anime I can't remember the name of
>>
>>63375509
>>63375568
>extremely dead
That's really unfortunate. I'd love a Halo tabletop game like Star Wars Armada
>>
File: Wut.png (401 KB, 743x873)
401 KB
401 KB PNG
>>63375501
>Tom catches and throws back a plasma grenade at one point
I'm sorry, but WHAT?
>>
>>63375678
Halos only good /tg/ games are hero clix and Halo Mythic, I have no clue what hero clix plays like, but I can tell you the Halo Mythic is a joy to play if you can nail the atmosphere, seeing everyone's faces in shock when the flood comes flying out of left field is always fun
>>
>>63375623
The lore as outlined by the books is super restrictive when it comes to Spartans. There isn't a way to make 6 appear from nowhere that won't sound retarded. That explanation was probably the best they could do.
>>
>>63375711
I can't remember exactly when it occurs, but he's fighting the storm faction covenant and Jul'mdamas pal decides to throw a plasma grenade to which Tow catches it, then throws it back. It doesn't work no matter hoe you explain it, I had to force myself to finish the book at that point.
>>
>>63375658
VIFAM
>>
>>63375410
I have vaguely mixed feelings because I've always liked halo most when its humans vs covenant and there's little or no forerunner stuff involved. So the intro with SIII beta company and the story of what happened to SIII alpha company are good, but I don't like the "present day" stuff with saber(?) team and the SIIs as much. Overall I'd still probably call it a 6-7/10.
>>
>>63375623
TBQH I'm pretty sure nobody would bat an eye if you told them you were watching an anime about classes of high school students who were trained as spec ops then sent on 100% suicidal suicide missions. Hell, I'd watch it.
>>
>>63375786
I wouldn't.

Anime is a hard sell for me even when I don't hate the premise. "High School but it's cute girls taking spec ops classes" makes me roll my eyes so hard I can see my brain.
>>
>>63375496
always wanted to try this, but the pricetag, oof. Also the company is dead now(?)
>>
>>63375864
Spartan killed itself, yeah. Another company scooped up the rights to the Dystopian Wars and Firestorm games but couldn't get the Halo ones. I think MS may have taken its ball and gone home unfortunately.
>>
>>63375743
It's a damn shame because Legacy of Onyx starts out so strong, and it's building up a really neat thing. Then we get to the Stormies doing stupid bullshit and it just degrades entirely from there.
>>
>>63375270
>>63375294

Bungie wasn't consistent on how many people were left by the opening of halo 3. Humanity is supposedly on the brink of extinction, but even back then, Bungie said the covenant had skipped or missed a number of inner colonies, which presumably would have had moderately sized populations. 343 seemed to go with the less than a billion number being a result of large scale evacuation rather than total deaths seeing as the earth is supposed to be repopulated 5 years later.
>>
>>63375036

Reach was great and the design aesthetics were top notch. The only people whining about "muh retcons" are faggots looking for something to whine about. Reticle bloom is an issue, but the campaign was great.

As for whether or not Halo Infinite will be a return to form, I'm holding my breath. Going to need a lot more than the original pelican and Mark VI armor to get me back on board.
>>
>>63375588
It was honestly just an excuse for bungie to give the player power armor and shields because they didn't want to take risks.
>>
>>63376230
The campaign I would've been fine with had it not been for the ending, but that power Ranger shit and armor abilities all started with bungie
>>
>>63375588
The novels have Kurt deliberately pulling some of the S-IIIs off missions and approving dangerous augmentations to try and keep as many of them alive as he could for as long as possible. So Noble existing isn't that big a deal.

The other timeline issues are harder to explain away as anything other than a retcon.
>>
>>63375310
Marines were the shit, give me any Halo 1-3 Marines over these spartan 4 niggers any day.
>>
>>63375745
>busts through a wall to pulverize an Elite's face, sends a Grunt flying with a rifle melee
>looks to the nearby beleaguered Marines
>HELLO I AM MASTER CHIEF

>>63375588
The Headhunters short was published a year before Reach, so I think they'd planned for some time to debunk the "death companies only" status of the S3s. Kurt did pull strings to get Lucy and Tom by his side, and Gamma was the first S3 company in the narrative to get some S3s separated from the main body to determine who were the top honor soldiers out of the special few, but the Headhunters were the first to officially be pulled from their respective companies, at least while said S3 companies were still active and not puddles of SPI slag and meat.

Frankly I'm surprised there hasn't been a wartime S3 unit reporting only to ONI in the story so far, considering the steps behind their creation:

>vastly improved augmentation procedures, all drug-based instead of surgical modification and implantation
>imparts the same level of augmentation as those given to the S2s
>not just higher but a PERFECT success rate as long as S3 candidates were of the genetic brackets demanded by the augmentations, despite the wider genetic pool of said candidates. The S2 procedures used people who could be considered genetically ideal and still lost a significant number to medical conditions.
>Made 3 companies of at least 300 soldiers each compared to the S2's single-company 75.
>A large part of the S2's budget went to the development of what would become modern Mjolnir, but by Reach the UNSC seems to have no issues producing specialized body, limb, and helmet variants of a system that was once best described as horrifyingly expensive.

Yeah, I'm surprised that so far, it's just Noble, Gamma's detachment, and the Headhunters. I wouldn't bat an eyelid if another couple dozen UNSC-Covie war-era S3s not from the Onyx companies just showed up.
>>
>>63379464
An ODST style game where you play as an SIII on a covenant world could be pretty neat honestly. Set it before the end of the war, and then depending on how grim you're feeling either have it be a headhunter mission where you kill some prophet/elite leader or a full on suicide run where you're working in tandem with other SIII's and you die in the end. Either way, I'd give it a neat/10
>>
>>63375036
Agreed. Reach had a shit story which I didn’t like even when it first came out. The Fall of Reach book was better.
>>
>>63376230
Reach was shit. The art style was good but it was all going wrong. The story was a mess with this self-insert Noble 6 & Noble team we’re barely characters next to how colorful the ODST team was.
>>
>>63380277
They were barely even characters next to Master Chief. Noble Team felt like a fan fiction cast. Chief had far more personality even though he barely talked and most of his dialogue was utilitarian.

>Sir, permission to leave the station.
>For what purpose, Master Chief
>To give the Covenant back their bomb.
>>
>>63374396
/v/.
>>
>>63382101
Even when I was younger, I felt that Noble team had the personality of a block of wood. It just contributed even harder to a lack of interest in the story.
>>
>>63383892
They're boring stock characters. You have Leader Guy, Big Guy, Tough Guy, Sniper Guy, Girl, and Player Character. Noble 6 is literally just there to be the players Hedgehog OC.
>>
>>63384477
I’d take a Buck any day over them. That’s why I barely cared when they died. It’s a plot about a self insert OC, dull characters telling a story we already knew.
>>
>>63384477
>>63383892
Honestly the thing that bothers me to this day about reach is how Emile can see out of his fucking helmet given that he scratched a fucking skull into it. I mean imagine driving a car where you scratched a skull into the windshield. You wouldn't be able to see shit. I mean I get its cool or whatever but really? It couldn't be a different shade tint or something?
>>
>>63387936
Wait he actually physically carved it into his visor? I always thought it was a see-through decals like what rednecks put on the rear windshields of their trucks.
>>
>>63387936
The only way it makes sense is if the reflective part of the visor is a thin film that he could scratch off without damaging the rest of the visor, but with that the skull should be transparent. Or maybe Bungie was just too lazy to make a custom version of his helmet you could see his face through the transparent skull so they said fuck it.
>>
>>63387968
>>63387978
Going by this picture, I always thought he physically carved it into the helmet visor. To me it looks like the scratches are deep enough to be into the "glass".
>>
File: ugh mikuru.png (418 KB, 446x503)
418 KB
418 KB PNG
>>63374944
>multiplayer

The focus on multinigger over the single player experience killed Halo.
>>
>>63388055
Nah, because most of the shit people hate about nu-Halo involves the lore, which went down the crapper when they switched teams to a bunch of upjumped fanboys who wanted to focus on Tacticool Self-Insert Spartans.
>>
>>63388055
Halo has always been a multiplayer focused game. If CE has not had massive LAN parties and halo 2 didn’t have an amazing multiplayer it would be a forgotten generic shooter. I’m not saying campaign isn’t important but let’s be real it has always been about the multiplayer.
>>
>>63387978
>>63388044
Yeah he carved it into the glass. Even the halo 5 item description confirms this.
>>
>>63388120
Halo 2's multiplayer holds a special place in a lot of peoples' hearts because for many of us it was the first time we realized at any time of the day we could go play a game and hear a stranger call us a nigger from a continent away.
>>
>>63388084
The worst part of this is that basically everything about Spartans and Mjolnir armor in 4-5 just turns full retard. How the fuck can the UNSC, which just avoided being totally genocided by the skin of its teeth, mass produce tech that 25 years ago cost as much as a starship to manufacture? I doubt there was some super secret breakthrough in microfusion plants during the fucking near-genocide humans went through.
>>
>>63375069
Go on...
>>
>>63388152
>"You know how expensive this gear is, son?"
>Tell that to the Covenant.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (105 KB, 1280x720)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>63388120
Not to mention the world of silliness and creativity that Halo 3 forge mode opened up.
>>
>>63388222
Yeah, that's one guy. One. The spartan IVs are a few thousand strong. AKA for the same price they could have build a few thousand starships. Unless the UNSC is just printing money and inflating it all to fuck to afford that armor there's no way it makes any sense.
>>
>>63388251
Halo 3 was the backdrop of my highschool years. Just thinking about it is comfy as fuck.
>>
>>63388258
Well it’s ceramic instead of titanium and it’s clear that energy shield tech has gotten better. Assuming it works like every other bit of tech as they made it they actually learned how to make it better. Scale is important here. For a few dozen solders getting totally unique tailored gear is a lot more expensive then mass producing good gear. They would simply need to gather the materials and have a way to manufacture it in bulk instead making it small batch and that would seriously cut down on costs.
>>
>>63388372
I get that economy of scale is a thing, I just find it incredibly hard to believe that in the middle of a 25 year war where basically every action was at best a holding action on the ground you would have the resources and time to dedicate to finding a way to cheaply mass produce a micro fusion reactor rather than dedicating that brainpower to making any sort of equipment not usable exclusively by augmented super soldiers.
>>
>>63388405
iirc the Spartans where made to fight against rebels. Basically, the chief was one alien war away from being part of the secret police.
>>
>>63388429
That's correct but also totally irrelevant to how retarded it is that the UNSC somehow pulled the secret to mass producing MJOLNIR armor out of it's ass.
>>
File: 1401907587130.jpg (176 KB, 1143x1600)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
>>63374944
>>63374944
I just absolutely loathed the weapon designs in 343 Halos. Reach and down at least had weapons that looked like they had a basis in current weapons. The Shotguns are the worst offenders, in 4 and 5 they just look like generic sci-fi guns, and I wouldn't have thought it was a shotgun if the game didn't tell me. I don't particularly care for the Spartan designs either. It's all just needlessly busy. At least Spartans in Halo games before 4 looked like they came from the same place as the marines, but in 4 while they get overly busy with the Spartans, they even take a step further back with marines and cover them in MOLLE despite that not having been present in previous marines. It's almost as lazy as CnC4's GDI troopers just getting turned into current US grunts, that time's US grunts, meaning they already look dated by current standards. I don't actually hate Halo 5's Spartans though, but their marines are even worse.
>>
>>63378899
I loved the fact that Marines actually did shit, sure Elites and such were obviously stronger, but they for the most part actually held their own, and Legendary you actually learned to appreciate Lance Corporal Chucklefuck manning the gun on your warthog.
>>
>>63375371
What was the pre-retcon explanation for the flood and how they managed to defeat a civilization capable of destroying all sentient life in a galaxy when Master Chief's air filter was enough to prevent subversion?
>>
>>63388084
>hate about nu-Halo involves the lore
I'd wager half of that hatred is toward the Floodwank/Forerunner in the Forerunner novels. Every time a Flood vs Tyranid argument comes up, I find myself feeling the like the Flood fans are the kids on the playground saying claiming 'they're super-uber-unbeatable' (which is the shit 40k gets because the default of the setting is "OP" for everyone else not xeelee level or higher). I say that as a guy who was a Halo fan before I got involved in 40k (by a good 2 years or so if my memory's right). The "Flood are the Precursors! That means they're unbeatable!" (they're not the Precursors, they're intelligent Precursor dandruff at best) and "The Flood could warp space-time and tear reality apart!" (in truth the Flood were just using the old neural physics architecture the Precursors left lying around pre-Halo firing, we have no evidence they could create any new Precursor-level architecture, and using said Precursor tech was just bending gravity and physics, which merely looked to the Forerunners like the Flood were ripping apart reality.) claims are really, really grating to watch.

It also really doesn't match-up at ALL with the established in-game lore. Gravemind should have been able to conquer High Charity, infect Earth and the Ark based on the lore of the Flood we get in the Forerunner series.

>>63382101
>They were barely even characters next to Master Chief
As much as 343i fucked things up with Halo 5 (ymmv on how badly that is), the dynamic between Cortana and Chief we got to see in Halo 4 was pretty good.
>>
>>63388120
>I’m not saying campaign isn’t important but let’s be real it has always been about the multiplayer.
Compared to other contemporary shooters (Battlefield, CoD, etc.) Halo's campaign/multiplayer has always been roughly 50/50 in terms of which got more attention. Halo 5 is the first time in the franchise where multiplayer received a bigger focus than the campaign, and it showed.
>>
>>63374944
>>63375036
>This started with Bungie during Reach,
i disagree. reach was arguably the best/last good halo game. 343 has a terrible habit of "one step forward and then three steps back" game design.

4 was a nice epilogue to 3 but the multiplayer is just barebones COD and while 5 went back to being like 2 & 3's multiplayer the maps were boring, the campaign is only fun as a co-op game, they axed split screen and then they ruined firefight with P2W bullshit.
>>
>>63388795
I think Halo 5’s greatest sin was Blue Team receiving no love
>>
>>63389539
As far as Halo 5's plot is concerned I feel like 343 looked at all the flak bungie got for the way Halo 2 spent half the game as the arbiter and ended on a cliffhanger and said "you are like little baby. Watch this."
>>
>>63389566
People didn't like the Arby segments? He's by far the most interesting character in the series.
>>
>>63389583
Don't quote me here, I was in fourth grade when Halo 2 came out. What I've gathered about how Halo 2 was received is that bungie got a lot of complaints about spending time on the literally who of the arbiter when people wanted to shoot aliums in the face as a pure human ubermensch
>>
>>63389583
his levels were boring and he's part of why you spend all of the second half of 2 and all of 3 + ODST fighting brutes.

friendly elites were a mistake.
>>
File: sangheilievolution.jpg (111 KB, 900x502)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>63389583
What do you expect from the dudebro audience Halo had? A sudden shift in perspective without any real marketing pointing to that left a sour taste in their mouths, I imagine. Heck, I can remember shooting my allies when I started in as Arbiter and going wtf because I was only like fucking ten at the time. It's the reason Arby didn't have any segments in 3 even though it would have been reasonable for him to have them-- they just lumped the stories together and had Johnson and the gang just randomly show up back on Earth unexplained before going to the Ark.

Then you've got 5 actually spending the entire game on a potentially interesting literally who and spending no time developing any of the characters beyond a sole quirk given to them to characterize them, and also including Palmer and Halsey, and also trying to build up two antagonists in the form of Cortana and the Warden Eternal. Big mess.
>>
>>63389624
I guess that makes sense. I think I was the same age as you when Halo 2 came out so I didn't know about the contemporary opinions. However, most diehard Halofags I know just jerk off to ONI, Johnson, and the Spartans. It's pretty obvious that's what most of the fans like and the direction of the recent games certainly reflects. I personally think the Covenant, particularly the Elites, are the coolest part of the lore so I really liked the Arbiter segments.

The fact he's voiced by Keith David certainly helped.
>>
>>63389729
I played a game of Halo mythic with someone who I can only describe as an eliteaboo. It was endearing, in a vaguely disturbing way. This guy knew way, way, way too much about elite lifestyle and culture. I and another guy played SIIIs and took potshots at him constantly.
>>
>>63389699
i actually liked locke in the context that he's like the ONI guy you see in the games that isn't a dick.

other than buck the rest of osiris can go fuck right off. especially the elite-a-boo girl on the team.
>>
>>63389729
>jerk off to ONI
god i hope not. only time ONI was ever interesting was when they weren't ever mentioned. First Strike's ONI agent? boring. everything Traviss wrote? boring.

>It also really doesn't match-up at ALL with the established in-game lore.
There's a reason for that, and you even mentioned it in your post. Did you read the novels, by chance? It's established that the Flood don't build anything new, they just take whatever they can get and that generally establishes their technological level until they're wiped out. It's why in a Flood vs 40k debate, the Flood usually win most engagements because inevitably they'd get their hands on some really strong tech until they were defeated and it starts all over again. Not that 40k vs Anything debates should even be humored. Where was I? Yeah, the Flood getting beyond the Forerunners in technology level was because they had a fucking Precursor directing them. The Flood fought in the main trilogy don't even get access to ships until Humans and Covies bring it to them. Previously, Covies were very good with containment and scuttled ships at even the slightest sign of infection. Once Flood gain the ability to use slipspace, it's only a matter of time before they reach Forerunner level again, which the Gravemind of 05 almost did. But then you blow up the new 04 and kill him, effectively ending that threat for the time being. No Gravemind means no collective advancement. Which can also be seen in Halo Wars 2, where the Flood just kinda run around and hit stuff until they get a Gravemind growing.
>>
>>63389699
I still think the way the trailers painted the chief-locke relationship would have been a hell of a lot better than the plot we actually got. I don't know why I ever would have believed the trailers though, MGSV should have taught me better.
>>
>>63389842
>Traviss
That woman has a real ladyboner for guys in combat armor.
>>
>>63389851
MS marketing team wants to recapture Believe but forget to actually market what's in the game.
>>
>>63389873
It's sad because I love her Star Wars books, but she can't write Halo worth a damn.
>>
>>63389877
The thing with Believe is that none of what was actually in that diorama was in the game. But with 3, even though the exact events never happened, it felt like they could have. I don't know if that makes sense, but it's something like the idea that the diorama in the trailers/ads is just part of the war we didn't see. The stuff for 5 just feels like they didn't tell the marketing people enough. I'm sure there's some argument to be made that it's intentional and one of the themes of 5 is finding the truth, except that doesn't come through in the game at all. Well, maybe it does, since I want to know the truth of why the fuck I'm stuck with locke and co all game.
>>
>>63374396
Why were the Covenant so retarded and why didn't they try to induct humanity into their ranks?
>>
>>63390026
The prophet who would later become truth discovered humans were the reclaimers in one of the novels (contact harvest maybe?) He realised that the discovery of the reclaimers would mean the end of the prophets status as the rulers of the covenant, and engineered events to take power and declare humans arch heretics. Once they were considered excommunicae hereticus by the covenant at large, nobody would ask any awkward questions and the prophets would stay safely in power.
>>
>>63390048
and then 343 made the forerunners aliens
>>
>>63390077
Why do you hurt me like this anon?
>>
>>63390048
>>63390077
Actual living Forerunners are something we never should have been able to see. I can accept their connection to humanity but as is usually the case they were way more interesting when they were completely absent.
>>
>>63390077
I am still upset.
>>
>>63390077
It wasn't 343 who made them aliens, it was Bungie, read the Halo 3 terminal entries off of halopedia or whatever the fuck.
>>
>>63390077
If you make a plot hole big enough to swallow everything else then there is no plot hole.
--343 Idealology
>>
>>63390148
This was 343s real sin. They could have gotten away with a lot, but removing the mystery surrounding it all killed it.
>>
>>63390167
i'm skimming through the terminal transcripts right now and i haven't found anything mentioning that alluded to the forerunners being aliens yet.
>>
>>63390365
not that guy, but any way you go around it, Forerunners are just aliens. they were just aliens nobody knew anything about. heck, bungie even signed off on the Halo Legends short that did the big worldbuilding thing
>>
>>63390077
The Forerunners had been a separate species for the longest time. If you've read Halo 3's terminals, the Forerunners explicitly address humanity as a separate species.
>>
>>63388044
When Reach first came out, I jokingly addressed Emile as Ghost. I even played https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE5ahNRgY84 over his death.
>>
>>63391037
Funny, I made that exact same joke as well. I think everyone did. Was far too tempting.

F for Ghost.
>>
>>63390077
Perhaps it was originally meant to be that humans were forerunners very early in development of Halo 3. 343 certainly makes you think so. But Halo 3 also kills this theory the second it's introduced.

The terminals in Halo 3 clearly recount the Librarian discovering the human species beyond the maginot line, taking them to the Ark, designating them as special, and then spending her last moments in Africa.

So to answer the question, since the beginning, and there wasn't a change in the first place.
>>
>>63389444
>axed splitscreen
I hate modern gaming
>>
>>63388044
>physically carves patterns onto his expensive equipment
>reportedly extremely gruesome, to the point that had they been sent against innies, he'd not be sent
>believes his shotgun is a sniper rifle
>>
>>63391192
The reason behind axing splitscreen was due to them using the same engine since CE. Why they choose 1080p@60fps over splitscreen I dunno the answer to that
>>
>>63389444
>5 went back to being like 2 & 3's multiplayer the maps were boring,
I don't remember 2 and 3 being as slow as 5 is. Even while sprinting, you're moving slower than you did in 2 and 3, and the maps are bigger to make up for sprinting. Does me a think.
>>
>>63391206
>believes his shotgun is a sniper rifle
U wot? Is this making fun of his in game AI or is there some extra special bit of retarded fluff I'm missing
>>
>>63388795
>Gravemind should have been able to conquer High Charity, infect Earth and the Ark based on the lore of the Flood we get in the Forerunner series.
It's said that the Flood only really git gud upon hitting critical mass. They haven't hit critical mass in any game yet.
>>
>>63391011
Anon you di realize Nostalgia works in historical revisionism. Half the people complaining about that don't even remember and fill the blanks with the goggles
>>
>>63391252
His A.I. Between the bad driving, not knowing how to use their weapons right, the friendly A.I. is forever batshit insane. Their only plus is infinity ammo & occasionally being the best shots on the planet.
>>
>>63391271
Comically dense AI is kind of a staple of the series though.

Never let the marines drive.
>>
>>63391271
>>63391281
As batshit as the AI was they gave it some pretty funny reactions. I still remember driving around the silent cartographer and smashing into everything while the marine in shotgun kept reminding me that the thing on the left was the brake.
>>
>>63391281
Reach actually gave me the best results of all the games I've played, when I let the AI drive. It was a Spartan, but I don't think they actually have different AI driving skills from the muhreens.
>>
File: Sangheili Guardian.png (451 KB, 873x1026)
451 KB
451 KB PNG
Soon
>>
>>63392766
I puked in my mouth a little.
>>
>>63392813
Good
>>
>>63374396
Covenant a shit
>>
>>63391281
>>63391271

Funny, because the Marines were reliable drivers unlike the rest of Noble, and I found my Marines to be pretty good shots themselves.
>>
File: b09.gif (286 KB, 500x443)
286 KB
286 KB GIF
>>63392766
>Alien Guardians

im gonna need 2 nova bombs for this one, Ghost
>>
>>63390167
>>63391011
>ayylamo ball boi explicitly says that humans are forerunner
>terminals say some wishy washy shit that is a pretty ok description of the area around the voi portal assuming no other fucking planet had a portal built near a big mountain
Yeah I fucking wonder why people keep saying humans were forerunners under Bungie.
>>
Am I allowed to say I unironically love the Ancient Human combat skin/Hellcat design in the OP? I know it's a step away from the general armour aesthetic (both GEN1 and GEN2) but it straddles that line between alien and familiar really well.
>>63392923
Atriox is a strong independent warlord that don't need no religious hegemony
>>
>>63393766
See >>63391065
>>
>>63391226
5 had an arena style to it's multiplayer similar to how the bungie games did instead of loadouts like in 4 or the specialized modes in reach. and it ultimately nixed armor abilities in favor of giving everyone a almagated armor ability for movement.

my main problem with it was how all the multiplayer map geometry felt too similar to each other. i felt like i was playing the same 3 maps but with different tile sets.
>>
>>63394174
HELLCAT and PREFECT are some of the better ones. The vast majority are so-so. It's stuff like TRACER and LEGIONNARE that makes you stop and go "hmmmmm... ..."

The actual king of ironic armor permuts is OLIVE, and I meant that as a compliment.

Part of the artstyle problem lies in some of the decal skins, which give everything a "sport season" look, end up making you look like you caught a case of unidentified geometry advertising themselves across half your body, and making parts of the undersuit take primary coloring from the armor carapace itself which fucks with visual perception of differing elements of the design at a look.A lot of the sets would look much better with more appropriate visual flairs.

And tangentially-related;
>Make a solid model of GEN2 armor that is well-rounded and fully combat-capable
>Name it RECRUIT
>Wonder why most of the S4s get the fuck out of it the moment they can.

At least the WARRIOR is in its own class of good-looking.

>>63388152
We're moving into third-generation Mjolnir now, baby!

Excuse of the stupid superseded only by post-Reach Halo Waypoint's various attempts at "canon reconciliation", such as:
>lmao we hid our fleet on the other side of the planet so that's why no warship worth a damn was there while Noble had to repulse the boarding attempt on Anchor 9"
>This prestigious relic-finding fleet so conveniently didn't have a Prophet on board and had a scheming Elite fleet commander whose pride caused him to conveniently not dial in lines to every Covie fleet within transmission distance the moment he found Reach

Frankly I'd rather Reach-era Bungie had just said "yeah we're doing the big retcon, fuck y'all" rather than metaphorically trying to suck everyone's cocks at once. 343 was almost going to establish their own art style in the games, but now they're trying the same shit with "we're going back to the old art style guys, are you excited yet???"
>>
>>6337498
>343 with the tacticool
Bungie made Reach, you fucking “343 boogeyman” bandwagon NPC retard
>>
>>63374396
Destiny is unironically more fun and has a better ascetic for a PvE experience
>>
>>63395285
Does anyone have those links to D&D 5e Destiny?
>>
>>63395311
Did you try googling?
>>
>>63388470
The Infinity and the improved MJOLNIR armor were already in the works on Earth when the Covenant came in.
Iirc, the armor that the MC got in Halo 2 was a test type for the armor the SIVs wear.
>>
>>63395396
You get mark VI in halo 2 to explain away the fact that health packs have gone the way of the dinosaur and also to excuse some visual redesigns. Hot having read any book newer than ghosts of onyx, as far as I'm aware the first mention of GEN II MJOLNIR is when it just appears out of nowhere in Halo 5. You might be thinking about the Mark V armor chief has in Halo CE, which is a prototype in that it actually has the energy shielding at all, unlike the mark IV, which every SII bar chief had.
>>
>>63374396
Halo, Halo, Halo,
Is the Onibody out there?
>>
>>63395340
>he doesn’t use Bing
Halo casual
>>
>>63395779
Fuck Halo.
>>
>>63387936
>Gear prohibity expensive
>Helmet alone costs thousands of space dollars
>Useful in EVA operations and covert ops
>CUTTING EDGE MOTION TRACKER AND HUD
>Give it to operators
>They customize and modify the gear. No concern there
>Edgy Child Soldier carves a skull into it
>Supply guy is pissed.
>>
>>63395822
I’m genuinely honored you came into a thread you don’t and picked me out specifically to tell me to google something
>>
>>63395922
The helmet is probably millions of UNSC dollars
>>
>>63396525
>Supply guy and the High Command get really pissed
>>
>>63396323
Actually I saw the response and became interested and googled it myself, cause I like Destiny and I like D&D5e so thank you, honestly.
>>
>>63394174
I like Hellcat, I don't like Halo 5's art style. I don't blame the actual armor given how horribly butchered stuff like Recon was by this crap style. Had it showed up earlier, it'd be great.
>>
>>63393743
What about awoken?
>>
>>63395109
>well-rounded and fully combat-capable
Some Halo guide said its performance raised eyebrows among veteran Spartans.
>>
>>63388152
Because nu spartans aren't genetically modified from childhood
Each spartan generation gets weaker and more mass produced
>>
File: Race2.webm (2.86 MB, 1080x720)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB WEBM
>Those four days where halo online blew up before it got Microsoft'd
Truly amazing
>>
>>63397879
buncha fukken dindus
>>
What Halo minis are out there?
>>
>>63398014
After seeing the reasoning I kind of find it hard to blame MS (not contesting would essentially lose them the rights to their own assets being used) but at least it probably influenced the fact Infinite's all-but-confirmed to be coming to PC
>>
>>63394519
I read the terminals three days ago, at no point are they specific enough you can 100% nail down that it's humans or earth. And that's still willfully ignoring the fact that guilty spark says humans are forerunner.
>>
>>63398163
halo ground command, though that's 15mm there's also the heroclix line that's old as fuck by now but about 28mm once you ignore the xboxhueg heroclix base
>>
File: Arbiter Killer Instinct.jpg (4.79 MB, 3840x2160)
4.79 MB
4.79 MB JPG
>>63389752
To be fair, Elites are the best alien race there is.

Hunters are second best.
>>
>>63403359
You were so close anon. You had the correct best race right there in your post, but you put them after the stupid Klingon knockoffs.
>>
>>63393743
It’s common knowledge the Eliksni (Fallen) has Guardians/Lightbearers before their Collapse. They call it their Whirlwind.

They want to force the Travler (their Great Machine) to take them back
>>
>>63397960
That was sorta the point as the 2s had everything besides ability to make more. the 3s had less invasive augments but their budget was crap enough that they couldn't give everyone MJOLNIR armor. Then 4s decided to have the armor do more such that a 4 in new armor is relatively as physically capable as a 2 in obsolete armor but without half the discipline.
>>
>>63399213
>And that's still willfully ignoring the fact that guilty spark says humans are forerunner.
Not that guy but a rampant 343 gone completely insane isn't a good source.
>>
>>63392923
How the fuck did Atriox threaten the covenant when his best asset was a ship which the covenant had in droves?
>>
File: Hunter.png (971 KB, 940x1160)
971 KB
971 KB PNG
>>63403439
I can't help it, I have a massive hard-on for proud warrior cultures. Except Brutes. Fuck those cunts.

Hunters are still god-tier though.
>>
>>63403556
Why didn't the Vex use their time travel and supposed intelligence to prevent the existence of every non acausal opposing species or use orbital bombardment more often?
>>
>>63403831
His best asset was his solid titanium balls, he threatened their sense of masculinity.
>>
>>63403878
Do brutes even have a warrior culture? I always got more of a rule of the strong vibe off them, like they're the orks of Halo. The whole Zen warrior tank puncher of the hunters always makes me happy. I wish they came in forms that weren't giant anti-tank platforms. Honestly you could make a whole game out of just hunter enemies if you let them make more varied colony forms.
>>
>>63403556
Ackshually the Traveler uplifted numerous species, not just Humans (and their derivative races Exo and Awoken) and Eliksni
>>
>>63403945
>>63403945
>Do brutes even have a warrior culture? I always got more of a rule of the strong vibe off them, like they're the orks of Halo.
They do, but they are a lot more psychotic and animalistic about it than the Elites.
>>
>>63403945
Yeah pretty much as >>63403945 says.

Basically, if Elites are samurai then Brutes are vikings (at least as far as the popular imagination goes)
>>
>>63403921
Vex can’t simulate paracausual entities (Lightbearers, Hive gods, etc) and acausal entities (Lignt and Darkness)

Vex are basically crippled against things that don’t fit their Pattern
>>
File: Colony.png (1.83 MB, 1300x1080)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB PNG
>>63403945
Halo Wars 2 did expand a little on that. One of the DLC commanders is a pair of Hunter "brothers" that lead their own subfaction with a focus on different Hunter colony forms.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/welcome-colony
>>
>>63404247
>that pic
>you came to the wrong forerunner construct, human
>>
Jiralhanae are great. They’re a refreshing departure from stereotypical aliens.

Unironically my favorite Covenant race. Too bad they’re stuck in a cycle of nuking themselves into the Stone Age repeatedly unless they’re uplifted by another species.
>>
>>63404247
Too bad I dislike RTS. Maybe Halo 6 will have these squirmy boys in it
>>
>>63404264
They were satisfying to kill when the last would go berserk. The same way grunts panicking made them feel more real, seeing the last brute go berserk after you killed all his friends always made them feel more real to me.
>>
>>63404264
If there is one thing I absolutely will not forgive Reach for, it's what it did to the Brutes.
>>
>>63399213
>And that's still willfully ignoring the fact that guilty spark says humans are forerunner.
Guilty Spark specifically says "Reclaimer". He makes no statement suggesting that the Forerunners and Reclaimers are one and the same species.
>>
>>63404349
Really? I thought they did a pretty good of slotting the brutes in so that they made sense. What do you think they did wrong?
>>
>>63404349
I can, I guess. It’s back when they were just foot soldiers with almost no institutional power in the racial caste system.

>>63404291
I thought they were great as the primary enemy in Halo 3. Halo 2 they were just annoying bullet sponges

>>63404286
You’re going to get retarded looking robots and you’re going to like it
>>
>>63404353
Well he does specifically say to Master Chief "You ARE Forerunner".

Personally I always attributed this to some kind of glitch in Guilty Spark's programming. I'm not a hardcore lorefag though so I'm probably wrong.
>>
>>63404418
Their physical design, mostly. They're much shorter in Reach, they're not nearly as mobile either. It's most obvious in how they wield their spikers two-handed like a rifle, rather than one-handed like a pistol.
>>
>>63404427
Halo 2 brutes were fun to fight if you had a carbine and could laugh as they died from outside their weapon range. Watching them run in and out of cover just to die entertained me. Fighting them without a carbine was hell though.
>>
>>63404470
Oh, you're talking aesthetics. I didn't notice a difference compared to the other games, but I usually play one at a time. I was never a fan of the spiker being a pistol, so I don't think that was much of a loss.
>>
>>63374396
That...thing is not Mjolnir armor
>>
>>63375059
>Only book I read was Contact: Harvest
Wew, you managed to read literally the worst of the Bungie era books.
>>
>>63404496
I'd rather the Spiker be a pistol *specifically for Brutes*, because they're huge.
It makes more sense as a Carbine for Humanlets, though.
>>
File: SpecOp Grunt 2.png (944 KB, 1558x1080)
944 KB
944 KB PNG
>>63404291
>The same way grunts panicking made them feel more real
I still feel bad for killing Grunts. I remember the Arbiter mission in Halo 2 where you hunt the Heretic and you are accompanied by some SpecOp Grunts. I don't why but I found them really adorable, and ended up restarting the mission several times because there I was hellbent on getting those boys out of there alive.
>>
>>63404559
Personally I'd rather see the spiker as an actual rifle for the brutes, that they need two hands to wield. Imagine something like the halfway point between the halo 3 spiker and a carbine. A scope, but full auto. Headshot capable. Some big fuckoff knives. It would be magical.
>>
File: hola.jpg (358 KB, 645x576)
358 KB
358 KB JPG
Has anyone here ever run a halo game? aHow did it turn out?
>>
>>63404622
I love the idea, but think that'd be better as its' own weapon instead of replacing something that already exists.
>>
>>63404535
You’re right. It’s Hellcat armor based off of found ancient alien, yet familiar, tech
>>
>>63397909

Veteran Spartans who customized their kits to their mission parameters. Said guide(s?) also mentioned that Recruit is the standard kit given to all S4s upon first induction.

It's fine to bring the heat-resistant suit if you're getting dumped onto the surface of a volcano world but the Recruit armor is no less combat-capable than any of the specialized variants, if you're looking at the standard required parameters that make Mjolnir, Mjolnir. It's just funny that what should have been the "face" of Gen2 Mjolnir in the Spartan corps is doomed to interpretation as low-end shit because the UNSC names an otherwise fully-functioning armor class after the lowest rank possible in the military. Meanwhile, Warrior, which is actually a speed/mobility-focused variant, nabs the poster-boy spotlight status instead, being the most widely-distributed armor variant (not that I'm complaining, Warrior looks great.) The S4s are closet DEXfags

Furthermore, Recruit is said to be a variant that helps acclimatization to augmentations, meaning that the UNSC basically built an entire variant class of armor for training purposes so that the boys don't kill themselves 3 days after their medical procedures. This is like if there was an entire variant line of the F-35 produced with trainer features but can also be fully-armed as a combat craft, solely to train new pilots in flying the A/B/C variants. Budget must be amazing post-war.
>>
>>63404583
Well they're funny, diminutive, and are essentially guiltless. They're just a slave race pressganged into cannon fodder and none of them really want to be there. Contrast with the Brutes who just have an axe to grind with everyone or the Elites who are basically a death cult.
>>
>>63404850
Don't forget the Jackals, who are pretty explicitly mercenaries/war profiteers.
>>
File: Grunt Goblin.png (3.93 MB, 1920x1920)
3.93 MB
3.93 MB PNG
>>63404850
Yeah, Grunts legitimately did nothing wrong and don't deserve any of the shit they're getting.
Though they did get mechas recently so maybe things are turning around for them. Probably not though.
>>
>>63404955
What I do find amusing though is apparently the "Grunt Rebellion" was so hazardous to the Covenant's designs they actually needed an Arbiter to handle it.
>>
>>63404955
I hate those fucking things with the force of 10,000 white hot suns. Any time I try to play warzone the retarded fucks I'm teamed up with try to take it down on foot with no heavy weapons or vehicles and we lose the match. EVERY. FUCKING. TIME.
>>
File: OG Grunt.png (128 KB, 300x415)
128 KB
128 KB PNG
>>63404994
That's really the thing about Grunts, they are actually quite smart and can be tenacious fighters. Covenant just never bothered to train, educate or equip them in any meaningful way which is. They were seen as worthless fodder and thus treated and used as such, when they really are capable of a lot more.

>>63405003
Cut the Grunts some slack, this is the first time in forever that they get to do the stomping instead of being stomped.
>>
>>63404955
Considering The Grunt Goblin was only possible after Cortana went power-crazy and the Unggoy said, "sure, you're in charge now!"... Cortana best mom for Grunts? The Covenant would never let them have cool toys like this!
>>
>>63403831
I think it’s alike how various terrorize groups can threaten much larger governments. The guy’s going some gurillia stuff.
>>
>>63404718
>Budget
I think it’s says that post-war, they not only had discovered enough Covenant & Forerunner technology to think of ways to make them more cheaply but the UNSC also allowed more private corporations handle production. I think it’s from https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/universe/tech/mjolnir

So they pretty much privatized a lot of stuff instead of government only production. I kinda think it makes sense as before all this, not only did the war eat up loads of resources but privatizing in a pre-Covenant war humanity would lead to insurrectionists getting blueprints. I’m betting that the war had the side effects of either Covenants killing innies or uniting humanity via common enemy.
>>
>>63404353
You clearly don't remember halo 3 then
https://youtu.be/EnxbGgDC_Oc?t=74
>you are the child of my makers inheritor of all they left behind
>you are forerunner
>but this ring is mine
>>
>>63405656
One of the armors in 5 mentions being produced as armor for a corporations security team, and that had me quite interested (and confused, since only spartans can wear MJOLNIR as far as I know). The idea of MJOLNIR armored corporate espionage teams trying to steal rivals plans for their own corporate super soldiers sounds 15/10.
>>
>>63405769
In the book that goes through Buck getting his S4 upgrades they find that a Spartan 4 had defected and another one was a spy, so to say that some innies have access to some mjlonir armor and augments is not to far fetched.
>>
>>63406647
Wasn't the defector Mickey, from ODST? He was the red one, the demo guy, right? It was such a dick move to kill him off, he was great. Fucking Buck only sticks around because he's voiced by Nathan Fillion
>>
>>63407281
Mikey defected, Dutch retired to Mars with his off-screen ODST waifu, Rookie got shot in the back of the head by an innie, and Romeo got the S4 upgrade (probably by screwing some admiral's wife and pissing off said admiral) ended up attached to the UNSC embassy on Bahalo.
>>
>>63407329
It's like they deliberately give better endings the characters I don't like from every game. Jun is the only member of Noble who survives Reach, fucking Romeo gets a cozy attache job as an SIV, Dutch retires, never to be seen again, and the rookie just up and dies. I swear to god 343 is trying to piss me, personally, off.
>>
>>63404247
Is there an in-lore explanation for why all Lekgolo armor has glaring armor-less portions
>>
>>63407376
>fucking Romeo gets a cozy attache job as an SIV
>cozy attache job
>On Bahalo
>The Grunt homeworld aka home of the race who breathes literal methane

Between this and the novel Bad Blood (which is post-Halo 5 and has Buck picking up Romeo from a Created-controlled Bahalo in a clusterfuck of an evac. Still reading through the novel at the moment.)... yeah, Romeo really got the smelly end of the stick as far as 'endings' go.
>>
>>63407281
>Fucking Buck only sticks around because he's voiced by Nathan Fillion
given that fillion is the only cast member to really have a career after firefly it's not that surprising.

especially since adam baldwin pretty much blacklisted himself after that whole gamergate shitstorm.

>>63407376
eh mickey & dare were the only ones i didn't really like from ODST.

but i do agree that it's bullshit that they killed off the rookie in shitty EU schlock. that's something that should've been saved for a game.

>>63407491
i always just assumed it's so they can move in the armor plates
>>
>>63407376
>343 doing banal, stupid, and unenjoyable shit

wowee, really?
>>
>>63403359
If the Elites were smart enough to invent ftl and support an interstellar empire then why did so many of them not consider charging entrenched positions with swords unreasonable and the faults of a promotional system based on kill count?
>>
>>63407562
>especially since adam baldwin pretty much blacklisted himself after that whole gamergate shitstorm.
I think that had more to do with the fact he was busy with 'The Last Ship' (which premiered 2 months before he coined the GG hashtag) than anything gamergate related or blacklisting. Hard to do VA work for video games when you're working in a hollywood production for the last 4-5 years.
>>
>>63407595
because the elites are space samurai so everything has to be "muh honor" 343 until turned them into space muslims

>>63407758
i feel like i haven't really seen him in anything since GG. is he actually working on something?
>>
>>63407526
How's that novel? Sounds like it has potential to be decent. Is it worth pirating?
>>
>>63407595
The prophets used their forunner tech to bitch-slap the elites into being their soldiers, then spent generations indoctrinating them to be good warriors who didn’t question.
>>
>>63407903
It's pretty good so far. Basically picks up right from the end of Halo 5 left off, but from the perspective of Buck instead of Chief or anyone else. I'd say it's worth pirating, but I've always been a bit of a Halo fan, so I'm mildly biased on the subject.

>>63407835
>i feel like i haven't really seen him in anything since GG. is he actually working on something?
Aside from being on TNT's 'The Last Ship' series for the last 5 years (which concluded sometime in 2018), I have no idea. He's probably still got enough star power to get work when he wants to though. Him and Nathan Fillion are pretty much the only real survivors of the 'Firefly Curse' as far as TV is concerned.
>>
>>63390365
In one of the terminals in H3 the librarian says “they’re special and worth saving it’s all worth it for them”. She was referring to humanity as a separate species.
>>
>>63408208
That's far from clearly implied. You can say "they're special and its worth it for them" of your cousins or your neighbors kids just as well as you can say it of a monkey or an octopus.
>>
>>63407491
I believe that they're actually just holding the various pieces together and it's not so much a suit of armor as a big pile of armored plates that approximate armor when held together in the right order.
It's also possible that the writhing mass of worms naturally expands and contracts as the whole thing moves, so if they sealed the armor it would be restricted and possibly hurt itself while moving.
>>
>>63390026
>>63390048
iirc this is part of what caused the covenant schism. Races had to prove themselves worthy of joining the covenant. And as humanity continued to fight bitterly despite being woefully outclassed, many within the covenant (particularly the elites), began to question why humanity hadn’t been offered a spot yet, what the point of the war was and how the propaganda about humans being cowardly heretics didn’t conform to the reality of those that fought them.
>>
>>63374579

It was their Destiny
>>
>>63407835
He still does voice acting for games. Him and Wil Weaton both appeared in Steam world. There was a lot of shit talking about it but no one cared in the end.
>>
>>63408247
Now you're just reaching.
>>
>>63405656
By this point, you got stuff like Helioskrill where Sanghelli have started making GEN2 armor. Privatizing might lead to everyone getting a GEN2 one day.
>>
>>63397402
>ONI dickweasel """subtly""" reminds High Command of how much dirt they have on them
>>
>>63405690
There's too many years of drift for them to really be the same species, even if humans are descendants.

Just enough similarity to interface with the tech.
>>
>>63408147
>Him and Nathan Fillion are pretty much the only real survivors of the 'Firefly Curse' as far as TV is concerned.
Gina Torres has had more of a career after Firefly than both of them combined, though that's partly because Fillion was stuck on Castle for so long.
>>
>>63404583
>the grunt rebellion vid
>grunt bros have to see their homeworld get glassed
I'm from Balaho and I say kill 'em all!
>>
>>63411366
>though that's partly because Fillion was stuck on Castle for so long.
Hey now, Castle was a good show...
>>
>>63407595
I'll give you the problem with kill-counts, but when the ones who usually deploy with swords are also super ultra mega specs-ops operationally operating bullshitters two cliches away from being literal space dinosaur alien shinobi, and packing shields capable of shrugging off anything short of a direct hit with an anti-vehicle explosive, I think they can do whatever the fuck they want.

People will continue talking about Reach and the surrounding bullshit in the supplementary texts and materials until the Forerunners come home, but few can reliably dispute that Reach had what possibly remains the best gameplay iteration of the Elites. Nothing makes the blood run colder than the sight of a high-ranking Reach-era Elite popping out from behind an obstacle with a sword in hand, especially since they did away with the wide swings of previous Elite sword-syles, and were just flat-out overall more nimble and agile while on the approach.

The problem with the overall portrayal of the Elites was that 343 turned what could have been a nice identity crisis for a war-minded race and ran too far with it to the point they can't farm properly. It's silly when Elite society is split into so many distinct states for the primary reason that competition within and between the keeps keeps them striving onwards; surely one of the fields of contest would have been keep finances and the production/control of goods exchange and important commodities. The crisis should have been more like the sudden demand for non-combat jobs, and the backdrop of the Arbiter's problems being the shift in paradigm of the bean-counters, merchants, and craftsmen getting more leverage and political power, to the displeasure of the military-minded, not flat-out "oh shit how do I farm?!?!?!?"

At least 343 remembered "lmao Sangheili doctors" by the time H5 rolled out.
>>
>>63412423
For 3 or 4 seasons, maybe, then they started hamfisting tragic cliffhangers at the end of every season and it became obvious that they didn't really have any good material left but wanted to keep stretching it out for rating.
>>
>>63412689
Not that guy but the Elites have had the Covenant for infrastructure for millennia. They had no reason to focus on anything except fighting and things to support fighting while allowing the other races to handle the rest.
>>
>>63388722
"I'm using your stuff, have perfect coordination, and every engagement I win only makes me stronger" is about as good as an excuse as we'll get, probably.

Really, if the tie-in material kept it to that I think people would accept it.
>>
>>63416135
Who the fuck handled food production then? The Brutes?
>>
>>63417300
There's a book which describes a grain grown by jackels which elites eat.
>>
>>63417300
Brutes, Grunts, Jackals, and Engineers were the 'laborer' class underneath the Elite's "warrior class" as I recall, so food production usually fell under Jackal/Grunt domain. Brutes were more like 'construction workers' than anything else.
>>
>>63374396
I'm reading the Varney the Vampire story from the old victorian penny dreadfuls and apparently "hello" hadn't been invented back then and everyone greets each other with "hilloa!"
>>
>>63389729
ONI niggers glow in the dark
>>
>>63405363
Great Grunt Rebellion 2.0 when?
>>
>>63417763
>Brutes were more like 'construction workers' than anything else.
Having spent a year doing landscape construction in Australia that's a pretty apt comparison for Brutes.

>>63418959
Some of you Sangheli are alright. Don't go to High Charity tomorrow.
>>
File: 1544113131754.gif (2.09 MB, 320x240)
2.09 MB
2.09 MB GIF
>>63374396
hai
>>
Why is Chief considered nigh unstoppable but he fights like a drunk in a bar brawl?

https://youtu.be/MNrpa0ZIr1E?t=48
>>
>>63417763

I don't know about Jackal/Grunt farmhands, but yes, I do recall Brute serfs.

>>63416135

Even before the Cole Protocol novel, one of the underlying themes of Elite society was that non-combat jobs were generally regarded as lower-tier compared to being a soldier. However, these jobs did exist, and they were in fact vital to the Sangheili for maintaining a keep, it's just that joining the army was regarded with more glory. IIRC serfs only entered the narrative beginning from the K5 trilogy, prior to that the Sangheili had more of a caste system. There can be a boatload of fighting Sangheili worried that they're not getting their rations, but it's not because the lower-caste Sangheili forgot how to farm, it's because they're shorthanded as fuck since they're no longer under the umbrella of Covenant logistics as a whole. Suddenly Bobb 'Dafarma, keep master of a small keep who mainly sends boxes of tubers to the local regional market, is getting his scaly ass flooded with food stock orders from other keep representatives who used to not even glance in his direction.

IMO the early expanded universe under 343 spent way too much time looking at a couple of Elite egos and ONI dickwaving. There's an untapped narrative located in the rising demand and importance of Sangheiliean workers, craftspeople, and artisans and how that shift is liable to rankle the old guard some. It's not like they can't use "ohshit how does I farm" in the story, but perhaps, as a contrast to more able/independent keeps whose keep sagas were not singlemindedly dedicated to martial pursuit? Not that the "failing equipment" angle can't be applied to the Elites on the really exotic or maintenance-heavy aspects, since they're bound to have an over-reliance on the Huragok and the other client races as serfs after all this while, but as usual 343 spent too much time running too far in that direction before they stopped to take a look.

Fuck, I'm yelling at the Kilo-5-shaped cloud again innit.
>>
>>63421579
>but he fights like a drunk in a bar brawl?
ONI's putting drugs in the foods served to veterans!

Space gubmint is making humans lust for Elites with mind-control waves! Smart-AIs are actually pattern-scans of once-living people, they're electronic souls!

close your eyes during the actual cutscene and use this instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD3gIXwYBcg
>>
File: 1542584328867.jpg (16 KB, 322x283)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>63422348

based and dabpilled
>>
>>63418989
>Don't go to High Charity tomorrow.
The Flood already went there.
>>
File: 1335976871055.jpg (47 KB, 600x600)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
Who wins: The Culture or the Precursors?
>>
>>63388537
Yeah 343 failed to realise that the shotguns, ARs, sniper rifles, and spanker are fucking ICONIC. You don't change that shit. That would be like changing the body style of xwings and still calling them xwings. Somethings aren't supposed to be improved.
>>
>>63389699
Halo 3 elites were the most memorable and we'll designed.
>>
>>63404583
I always loved equipping a bunch of grunts with fuel rod guns and watching them annihilate shit. Loved those little guys.
>>
>>63404583
>ended up restarting the mission several times because there I was hellbent on getting those boys out of there alive.
I know that feel brother. I also know the pain of doing it on Halo 2 Legendary.
>>
>>63423978
Pfft. Precursors easily

>predate the universe by 85 billion years
>shape galaxies, Culture hasn’t left Milky Way
>create and destroy sentient species
>let themselves be wiped out by their own creations because it was something new and interesting
>their retarded offspring (flood) use precursor tech to annihilate and extinct the forerunners who were themselves roughly equivalent to the Culture
>>
>>63424405
>the forerunners who were themselves roughly equivalent to the Culture
>the Forerunners
>equivalent to the Culture
You're joking right? The Forerunners are MUCH weaker than the Culture. Hell, the reason the Precursors [and their retarded dandruff-descendants the Flood] are so damn effective in the Haloverse is because they designed every living species down to the molecular level. They already have the schematics for that universe. They wouldn't have that advantage against the Culture.

That said, the Star Roads make them a tough opponent. Could go either way really.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.