[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 40krpg.png (858 KB, 1115x633)
858 KB
858 KB PNG
Pay No Attention To The 11 Behind The Curtain Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, Only War, and Wrath & Glory.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries in the FFG games.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five FFG lines.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Grimdark music for your games:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9WFeqTgvRvyRoGD8jVFVA?

W&G Character Sheets:
https://mega.nz/#!mA8WBAaK!NEhXMO_-tJQBzCAqGCY9my9tPBUl9BMAyZnBqqlW9Zc

W&G Errata:
https://www.ulisses-us.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Wrath-Glory-Errata_v6.pdf

Homebrews:
>The Good, the Bad, and the Alpha Legion (v1.1.8) (Total Conversion Deathwatch into the Horus Heresy)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/dghh4d6spcd6io9/

>Mars Needs Women! (v1.3.12) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/xtutxsxmo1k7foo/

>Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

>The Fringe is Yours! (v 1.9.4) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/cq9x7gc9qnbh76c/

>The Gold Experience Requiem (v1.0.0) (Play as Custodes, Primaris, SoS, Solar Auxilia)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/6qup24o1amng5e6/

>Make your maps look just like FFG's
http://www.mediafire.com/file/eaga3g853m8fa4d/Sector+map+making.rar

Previous Thread: >>63206558
>>
File: wubwubwub.gif (81 KB, 640x480)
81 KB
81 KB GIF
>>63278714
Yeah, I plan on doing that sometime in the next week or so.
>>
How would you guys go about having players fight a giant Dune-size sand worm?
>>
>>63288368
Making them scout out where the sand worm like to sleep, eat, ect. Then have them figure ways to acquire materials to mortar/ nuke the worm.
>>
>>63287639
Awesome, thanks dude
>>
>>63288432
Let me add clarity: They're space marines and I'd like the worm to attack them unexpectedly. I'm thinking of giving them a bonus to call shots inside the worm's mouth. If they get eaten they can make some athletics roles to grab hold of the teeth and avoid entering the gut. One of my players is an assault marine and I can almost guarantee he'll try to jump inside the worm just to hack it away from the inside out. But I want to give my other players options as well.
>>
>>63288368

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQe5Ciwlsn8
>>
>>63288642
You could let them circle the wagons, preparing them for a defense as the worm charges, or allow them to get up on some solid platforms, like rocks. I would handle wounds the same way I handle wounds for PCs, except maybe double damage for shots/explosives in the mouth.

Maybe try to create an air of unknowing as the sand worm retreats underground to circle them.
>>
>>63277273
Yes! Specifically that, yes!
>>
Starship Troopers is the best Imperial Guardsmen movie ever
>>
>>63288368
Watch the "Tremors" series for ideas...
>>
>>63290816
What about Stalingrad and Rambo 2 ?
>>
What are the potential consequences for a marine who lost his progenoids, but survived? Let’s assume a replacement is not an option, at least not for at least several years. Do they require specific therapy, develop autoimmune disease or just gradually lose the ability to use their organs?
>>
>>63294292
He can still function as a Marine, he just wouldn't be able to make more geneseed.
It's essentially the Space Marine version of castration.
>>
File: lost lines.jpg (658 KB, 968x648)
658 KB
658 KB JPG
>>
>>63288642
>>63288642
Just make the interior a "flesh dungeon" of course. Cliches are there to be used, not avoided. I would feel blueballed playing Deathwatch if I cannot hack my way out of a giant city sinking worm when presented with the chance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QFYVpcAspY
>>
Are you a prep GM or an improv GM?
How does that fit with expansive scope RPGs like 40k where the players at lots of times can just get on a transport somewhere and sod off?
>>
>>63295626
>Deathwatch : improv
>Dark Heresy : prep
>>
>>63295573
This is genius. I think I'm going to go with this.
>>
>>63295626
Prepare a framework and let them play.
>>
>>63295626
I spend about as long peeping as we do playing. If my players do something unexpected I improv. I think the trick is having enough of an idea of who and what’s around that the players don’t feel like your just pulling stuff out of your ass.
>>
>>63295626
Little of column A, little of column B
>>
>>63293770

they're making a new one
>>
Is a Rogue Trader oneshot possible?
>>
>>63301273

Yeah, but DH, OW, and WanG are better for that
>>
>>63295462

squats are back though
>>
>>63296359
Same here. I would usually think of one way to solve the problem, or discover the heretic. IF They slow down then i will drop some hints.
>>
>>63301273
> Rogue Trader oneshot...
Usually requires a Nova Cannon.
>>
File: 1508831514091.jpg (58 KB, 640x643)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
so what's some fun and novel things to have orks do to catch players off guard? I'm thinking VC style punji spike pits. and maybe haveing some storm boyz trying to tackle or lasso players knocking or pulling them into bodies of water and the like.
>>
>>63307343
Wyrdboy rapbattler.
He explodes his enemies heads with his sick rhymes.
>>
>>63307343

All awful. Springing those without a test will just cause players to cry foul about unavoidable damage. Requiring a test will cause the players to take ten foot rods and slow the game for a crawl as everyone starts yelling "I CHECK FOR TRAPS"
>>
>>63307343
make the orks try and infiltrate the regiment, all sneaky like.
>>
>>63307398
ok maybe the junji pits might but I think the idea of storm boyz tring to force players to focus on nor drowning instead of fighting might ad some spice to combat.
>>63307388
as much as I like this it's a little too zany. Although saying that using his WAAAGH! powers might require a 'rymeing chant' and waiting to see how long it takes the players to make the connection
>>63307487
so like sir barington but everyone swears they're ogrins or something?
>>
>>63307518
Their "camouflage" paint is actually just human makeup foundation.
>>
>>63307562
and the local brothel wants to know who the hell has been stealing from their makeup cabinet.
>>
File: 20121117_142907.jpg (183 KB, 1200x1600)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>>63307562
>>63307518
Literally just this but it actually works
>>
Starting Warhammer 40k and wanting to try Primaris. What would be a good 500 point starting list?
>>
>>63308135
>What would be a good starting list?
-posting in the right thread
-picking up a copy of your preferred 40k rpg
-GMing said rpg
>>
File: Solitaire6.jpg (163 KB, 879x1093)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
Planning to run a solitaire as a small NPC in my DH2 game. Been researching their mannerism, and path but have not really found any examples.

It says they speak only in ritual form ect, anyone have an example of that, or more info in general that could help me?
>>
>>63311072
Solitaires follow the Path of the Laughing God...
They're the Harlequins' harlequin, the only ones that can dance the part of Slaneesh when a Masque performs the story of the Fall.

Not entirely sure about current TT lore, but believe they're now supposedly an Eldar "untouchable" equivalent, whereas when they first came out they could be psykers.
>>
Anyone have any good highborn / noble NPC writeups? Or directions to similar NPCs in the books.
>>
>>63288646

Out of curiosity, if FFG systems hadn't died, what else would you have done for a new book?
>>
File: 1482305520938.jpg (922 KB, 2000x2189)
922 KB
922 KB JPG
>>
How should I properly represent Terra in a game of Dark Heresy without revealing what planet it is to the Players?
>>
>>63318441
Simply describe it as is, while making sure to never call it Terra, or even compare it to Terra.
A densely populated hive world with a whole lot of Imperial iconography, lots of gold, and absolutely no water.
>>
>>63318441
LOADS of pilgrims.
LOADS of soldiers and big ass heavy vehicles on every corner.
LOADS of hives over hives.
>>
I bought a Space Marines Heroes box and got this boring cunt. Any ideas what can I do with him?
>>
>>63319090
disregard, I suck cocks
>>
File: Dr Stone Crafting.png (318 KB, 715x385)
318 KB
318 KB PNG
>>63314099

First would be a revamp of the colony system so that the colony doesn't descend into a tantrum spiral the moment its population increases from 1 to 2. There would have also been a mining system to get different types of materials. Then I would have made a crafting system that lets people build and customize their gear, with resource quality affecting the final product. For example, a higher quality weapon would have slightly higher damage, range, etc depending on how the weapon was crafted, and the inverse if you used shitty RUs. For those who played Star Wars Galaxies, it would have been a very familiar system.
>>
How does Wrath and Glory compare to the FFG games? Is it even out yet?
>>
So can you make any of the blackstone fortress characters your warlord? if so what traits do they get to pick from?
>>
So do we have a more up to date Rogue trader ship maker program or spreadsheet than the 1.41 one we have? that one seems to only have material up to like into battlefleet koronus
>>
>>63320715
>colony system improvements
goddamnit i want
>>
>>63321352

WanG is a much better base system, but it's just that, a system. The FFG books have years of material to grab from, while WanG is still new and isn't technically released yet (just prerelease).
>>
>>63320715

DO IT ANYWAY
>>
What is a warp storm like? If a warp storm came up suddenly and caught a ship would it be normal to just wait it out or translate back to real space?
>>
>>63323405
A Warp Storm is kinda what happens when the Warp leaks into real space.
>>
>>63287572
I just finished Double Eagle by Dan Abnett. I haven’t had this much fun reading a 40k book in years. I wish that aviation was covered more often in this setting. The Thunderbolt is my ship-fu.
>>
File: gunnar gunhiltd.jpg (70 KB, 804x960)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>63287572
Hi i hipe you dont mind if i do a little player recruitment in here.

Im GMing a 40k nation state game where you command a company of a single space marine Chapter. It is play by post but i figured that cant be too rare on here right?

I bascially want to create players who are invested in their Chapter. A bit like a more extreme version of the chapter creation threads. For that we need creativity and non boring players. Im perfectly capable of playing grimdark, and thats how i'll be running IC, but i want the chapter to very much be awesome men doing awesome things a bit like RT style.

https://www.roleplayerguild.com/topics/175500-40k-space-marine-chapter-nation-int-check/ooc
>>
By value of running unopposed and because nobody else wanted to do it, I'm my groups Rogue Trader.
How do I avoid fucking it up? Basic tips? Good ways to avoid mutinies? I imagine a healthy dose of fear and respect works but I feel like cutting down grunts for giving me lip isn't exactly productive. I am starting with at least 8 Insanity and I'm Noble Born if that's relevant.
>>
>>63326324
Jack Sparrow In Space.
>>
>>63325019
What system is this in? The complete lack of specifics lead me to believe it's freeform.
>>
File: The_Major_(Hellsing).jpg (20 KB, 688x387)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
How should I build pic related as a arch-militant in rogue trader?
>>
>>63326324
What's your group composed of and how much do you trust their confidence?

Most importantly what do you want to do as rogue trader?
>>
>>63326691
First movie, rather than last.
>>
Does anyone know when gw:s business year ends?
>>
>>63318441

Maybe have them start out in the rad-wastes?
>>
>>63318441
City of cities, the holiest of holy places, a place men no families spend generations trying to reach a mecca without pear.

Nothing but good can come from those who hail from their to those of pious minds and an admission of otherwise is meet with accusations of heresy.
>>
File: 1543114941045.png (455 KB, 600x450)
455 KB
455 KB PNG
Just imagine how akward the family dinners must have been
>be Guilliman
>finally reunited with your true father
>invited for your first meet up with the rest of your brothers
>got lost on your way to the great dining hall
>10 minutes late you stand before the huge ass door
>to hide your autism you introduce yourself the instant you cross the door while making the best smile you could muster
>"Greetings, brothers! I'm terribly sorry for my absence! My name is Guilliman, it is an honour to meet all of you!"
>then 11 pairs of eyes lock on you
>the faggot in pink looks at you from head to toe and them smirks
>"Indeed~"
>the guy in blue power armor, with dark, long and clearly unkept hair gives you the nastiest glare you've ever seen
>the guy in... wait, why is he fucking red? is clearly using telekinesis to get himself the noodles while no one is looking
>the guy covered by green fumes notices it and starts mumbling barely hearable "fucking wizards"
>the barbarian looking motherfucker yells something in his crude language
>"만나서 반가워요!"
>the guy clad in full armor, wearing a helmet says
>"I'm glad to meet you too, or maybe I'm not?~"
>the man in yellow armor quickly stands up akwardly and says "Good morning" before quickly sitting down
>the man clad in silver armor gets visibly angered by his action
>"Why did you introduced yourself before me, huh?! Think you're better than me?! HUH?!"
>before others can say anything else, the giant in green throws away the table he was eating from and grabs you before you can even think "holy fuck, a devil"
>"Hi there! I'm Vulkan! Your big bro! Man your haircute is nice, do you cut your own hair? Anyway as I was saying..."
>>
>>63327399
>Peturabo being mad that the Fists exist
Yes, this is accurate.

My group's WANG game where we are playing Crusade-era IW is much like that. We were "partnered" with a squad of Fists for a mission, and we spent the whole time being total dicks to them. It was fun.
>>
>>63287572

Has anyone done any homebrew with WANG yet?
>>
>>63311072
Why is the Solitaire around the players? They're beyond most inquistors and far beyond any acolytes. They have the most mystique and prestige of any of the clowns, a position that's viewed with reverence and awe by normal harlequins. They're chapter master tier.

Harlequins should be mysterious and theatrical, speaking in riddles, having contrived and ridiculous meetings, histrionic and eccentric personalities, communicating in poetry and interpretive dance, etc.

The Solitaire should be double this.
>>
File: mass_procession.jpg (2.58 MB, 3200x2192)
2.58 MB
2.58 MB JPG
>>63318441
You can't and shouldn't. Every minute of an Imperial's life is seasoned by their religion. Prayer multiple times a day, community defined by church, constant worry if they're being pious enough to be saved. The Imperium is a highly theocratic state, in the minds of most Imperial subjects the Emperor is the only thing that matters, they are mere subjects. Only by HIS grace will their souls be shepherded. The ONLY reason you live and breathe is because of him.

Holy Terra is his throne, the religious zeal should be palpable and omnipresent. Basically you're asking how could you have your players visit Mecca without revealing to the players where they are. You really can't, at least not without being inauthentic to 40k.

In daily conversation the people they meet can't help but mention that their Eternal Lord and Savior, the Bearer of the Light, the Guide of the Way, Father of the Space Marines, Founder of the Imperium, Perfection Made Manifest, Shepherd of Humanity, their Sole Protector, the Sun and the Stars, the One True Holy Episcopal God-Emperor of Mankind lives just thousands of miles away from them.
>>
>>63311072
Harlequins should be like V. Eccentric, theatrical, and constantly quoting literary works that the players have likely never heard of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACUpr5GvVsE

Solitaires, on the other hand, should exude silence, mystery, and dread. They should almost never speak, and when they do, they should sound like someone who communicates exclusively by quoting the bible (especially the darker parts, like the Book of Revelation). They should be like the aliens from Darmok, except every time they say something, it puts you on edge.

You could use this character to add some flavor to your campaign by feeding plot details and clues to the players via riddles and such.

>>63311672
>Not entirely sure about current TT lore, but believe they're now supposedly an Eldar "untouchable" equivalent, whereas when they first came out they could be psykers.
I think it's implied that they're Eldar who have made a pact with Slaanesh, considering their supernatural abilities and the fact that they don't wear soul stones or go to Cegorach when they die.

>>63329687
>Why is the Solitaire around the players? They're beyond most inquistors and far beyond any acolytes. They have the most mystique and prestige of any of the clowns, a position that's viewed with reverence and awe by normal harlequins. They're chapter master tier.
The nice thing about using Harlequins in a campaign is that they don't care about things like class or station. They're just as likely to work with a human nobody as an Eldar farseer if they think it will advance their fight against Slaanesh in some meaningful way.
>>
>>63331166
>They're just as likely to work with a human nobody as an Eldar farseer if they think it will advance their fight against Slaanesh in some meaningful way.
But why is a Solitaire the one to help these humans? Why would the Masque send their most capable player to the aid of children? It would be like if the Mechanicum sent an Arch-Magos to fix refrigerators.
>>
>>63331286
I think that would depend on the GM and what sort of campaign they're running. I agree that Harlequins shouldn't just show up for no reason; the acolytes must be involved in something that's far greater than they initially realize if they keep running into a Solitaire over the course of a campaign.

Side tangent: Do Solitaires take orders? I was always under the impression that they follow their own agenda.
>>
>>63331415
Well what are the Acolytes facing that's also a threat on a Solitaire's radar? If the Great Enemy is gathering in strengths that a Solitaire needs to personally deal with, lowly agents of the Inquisiton probably won't be able to do very much. Or the Solitaire is still maintaining his masquerade, in which he would appear to be just another human to the acolytes. Which could also work in the campaign. The Solitaire is manipulating various groups and siccing them on the forces of Chaos, only revealing his true form to perform the coup de grace.

Solitaires are some of the most dangerous individuals in the galaxy. They can face down daemon princes and win. The difference in power/importance between them and the players is orders of magnitude. Do you go out of your way to help out the silverfish in your basement?

Side tangent: Solitaires don't take orders they give them. While part of a masque they're more respected than basically everyone except the Troupe Master.
>>
>>63331832
Given how much prophecy is to eldar, probably doing shit to stop things from getting far above acolyte tier threats. Stopping several disconnected cults on a planet from ever communicating and coordinating with each other or halting the gathering of materials to make daemon hosts, not just stopping it as the summoning is happening.
>>
>>63326691
Not sure how well I'd be able to play it, but I'll give the first movie a rewatch before the first session.
>>63326899
We've got an Ork Freeboota who wants to be a Mech Boy, an Explorator looking for Archeotech STCs, an autistic Voidborn Void-master, an Astropath, and I'm not sure if the last player decided yet or not.
I'm leaning towards piracy based stuff, but I'm thinking exploration and then deciding on diplomacy or piracy in the moment sort of thing. We've only done the first character creation session, second one will determine our ship, profit factor, starting acquisition, and what we actually want to do.
As for trust, I trust the Void-master and Ork to be mercenaries who don't want any authority on the ship, the Explorator just wants STCs, and other than that I have no idea.
>>
>>63329447
Yes. A bunch posted even in these threads from various anons.
>>
>>63334258

Is it in the archive? Seems to be mostly/entirely FFG in the homebrew folder.
>>
>>63334725

Here's some stuff I've done for the game I run. Mostly Homebrew, though some of it's minor adjustments. Not in the mega because I don't see the point in making PDFs versus an online repository.

http://reikswang.wikidot.com
>>
>>63335020
>http://reikswang.wikidot.com

Thanks my dude. I've been fiddling with some Nid and Chaos stuff using FFG rules as a baseline and wanted to see if someone else had taken a crack at homebrew more competently than I.
>>
>>63335138

I've basically done a semi-formulaic conversion from tabletop, rather than pull from FFG. Couple exceptions here and there, like detox or data-spirits, but the nature of WanG means home brewing for official GW stuff is pretty simple.
>>
File: patrick disgusted.jpg (64 KB, 567x378)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>63335307
>semi-formulaic conversion from tabletop

Oh. Never mind. Was hoping for a more fluff-based approach that captures the feel of things, rather than Shas-esque number crunching.
>>
>>63335307
>but the nature of WanG means home brewing for official GW stuff is pretty simple.

Been meaning to ask how people do that, since I don't play the GW tabletop. What becomes what when converting?

>>63335407
Not me
>>
>>63335407
>Was hoping for a more fluff-based approach that captures the feel of things
But you're not going to capture the feel of anything if the mechanics aren't right. You can write any fluff bit of shit you want about anything, but it won't matter for dick if the numbers don't add up correctly.

Example: You want an Assault Marine. But you make the pre-req's nonsensical shit like Scholar, and they can't do a jump pack charge. Do you have an Assault Marine? No, because your 10 paragraphs of fluff don't mean shit if it doesn't work like an Assault Marine.
>>
>>63335407

I try to do both, but the problem with fluff is that it varies wildly while the tabletop stays fairly consistent. My biggest break from the wargame is that I consider a single Marine to be worth about 3-4 tabletop Marines in terms of capability.

My more fluff-based stuff tends to be anything that isn't explicitly outlined by GW: drugs, tools, armour mods and such. Ultimately, the reason weapons and armour are semi-formulaic is because the WanG devs did it that way with the base armory. I just derived what the approximate conversions were.

>>63335466
Damage Rating = (S+1)×2-(0 or 1) *
Extra Dice = (Avg. D) + (1 if high RoF)
Range = Approx. 2×Range in meters
AP = AP
Armour = Use WanG Core Values
Traits = Find Comparable Weapon

* Towards the upper end, values get constrained. You'll notice the Lascannon has a DR of 18 when this formula would have it be 19-20.
>>
>>63287572
any expansion for WANG yet?
>>
>>63335776

Thanks again!
>>
>>63335407

Bad news, friend. Reik and Shas share their games and calculations in their game discord.

>>63335776
I really appreciate how we now have the metrics to convert a weapon to both FFG and WanG systems now. It makes things so much easier when making homebrew.
>>
File: capture6.png (78 KB, 797x942)
78 KB
78 KB PNG
making a simple map for only war, players are elysians, so this is their dropsite. think it might be a bit small really.
any tips for making only war maps would be nice.
>>
>>63335792
Due to a truly hilarious amount of delays, the physical book is not even out yet for anyone but the people who got gencon preorder copies. So no, no expanded WANG yet because you can't expand what isn't out except for digital, and a lot of gamers are apparently anal about physical releases.
>>
File: Vulturax.png (17 KB, 140x140)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>63335917

I mentioned it to Shas because he inquired, but I try to keep most of my stuff out of his discord since he's s still on the fence about WanG.

I do share the art though, despite Shas not using maps. Like this Vultarax token I made for the Mars game.
>>
>>63336004
Monochrome/10
Add some textures
>>
How would you play a Dreadnought in WANG?

For that matter, what's everyone's opinion on WANG?
>>
File: gil dream.jpg (114 KB, 1280x720)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>mfw game goes at a grindingly slow pace because doesn't know how to pace to save his life
>told the DM a few months ago about that
>nothing changes
>don't want to quit because I like the players and the DM as a company
>>
>>63339034
you realise the pacing of the game is often down to the players
If players decide to durdle in a tavern or with an npc for half an hour and nothing happens, who's fault is it?
>>
>>63339107
I wish that was the case.
>>
>>63339136
is he slow playing because of lack of preparation? gonna need some more details here skipper
>>
>>63339184
>sessions made out of cutscenes
>not even sucking off his DMPCS, just long fucking cutscenes that last the entire session
>railroading into cutscenes
>when freedom is given, there's literally zero direction
>>
>>63339234
The fuck is a "cutscene" in a non-video game?
You mean like he has whole scenes that's just interaction with just NPCs?
>>
>>63339351
>The fuck is a "cutscene" in a non-video game?
Are you new to ttrpgs?
>You mean like he has whole scenes that's just interaction with just NPCs?
Yes. Wholes scenes of NPCs talking to other NPCs.
>>
>>63339375
I have played TTRPGs for longer than my son is old. I just hate people using the term "cutscenes" for everything.
>>
>>63290816
it still holds up even today.
>>
>>63339719

Only the first one. The other four ranged from bad to mediocre. The roughnecks series was good though.
>>
>>63338554

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KtQn00s5tkTojyIIPSjf2WKQTjsnV5BjsyW-KGg29jE/edit?usp=sharing

Here's some homebrews for Dreadnought among other things.
>>
>>63340277
Fuckin noice m8!
>>
What's a realistic reaction of a pious, educated missionary serving as the aide and spiritual guide of a Rogue Trader to learning that the M32 Warrant of Trade his liege uses is a forgery likely made because the dynasty's original Warrant (secretly still in existence) was signed by Fulgrim?
>>
>>63340860
What level of educated are we talking?
>>
>>63341118
>>63341118
The most orthodox scholastic upbringing available to a noble-born savant whose idea of entertainment is writing commentaries on theological treatises.
>>
>>63341311
So the "full" history of the IoM being taught i.e. almost everything about the HH being redacted or changed?
>>
>>63341339
As deep as it gets but very much seen through Ecclesiarchy / Missionaria Galaxia goggles.

The sketchiest thing is that the actual date the GM put on the document is 009.M31 (i.e. three years into the Horus Heresy) but I don't think it makes sense for my character to have a good enough command of chronology to note the implications.
>>
>>63341467
Either trying an uprising against the perceived heretic RT, an attempt at a one man crusade against him, or maybe thinking that the real is a fake and many, many tests of purity on everybody and everything.
>>
>>63340860
Give your friendly local Inquisitor a heads-up.
>>
>>63340860

Our Rogue Trader's warrant was hand-written by a Lord-Inquisitor on the back of a take-out receipt after the original was burned.

Said original was signed by Goge Vandire.
>>
so what kinds of homebrewery are folks working on lately?
>>
That seems like a pretty definitive answer.
>>
Need a little plot help folks.

My acolytes are investigating a hive district that had some disappearances. I need to direct them to the lair of the cultists which is in the freezer of a meat processing plant. But i can't think of a good piece of evidence that would lead them there other than "heres all the unusual places in the district" :/
Anyone got good ideas for clues to show the origin of kidnappers
>>
>>63344979
The acolytes get a quest marker on their HUD leading them to the meat processing plant.
>>
>>63344994
thanks Todd
>>
>>63344979
>Someone finds a ring/tooth/finger in their meat product
>newest disappearance is an employee there
>>
>>63344979
a) Have most of the disappearances occur around where you want them to look, but don't force-feed that to them; they have to do some legwork to figure it out.

b) Have the disappearances be predominantly workers in the plant (which would make sense, since you're implying the cult is turning workers into food in order to maximize profits to pay for the cult).

c) Depending on the cult, make the plant's products weird in an appropriate way - for example, maybe Slaaneshburgers taste OH EM GEE FUCKBALLS AMAZING, or Nurgle burgers give you the shits for 3 days but are insanely nutritious, or Khorneburgers are like habanero mixed with PCP. You know, whatever.
>>
>>63344979
They find some item from the meat processing plant at the scene of a disappearance? Baseless local rumor of "those folks were taken to be butchered at the plant I tell you hwat" turns out to be accidentally kinda right? Weird ritual symbols are smeared in Grox blood sonewhere relevant?
>>
>>63345096
Great ideas -- all what I was looking for, thanks.

>>63345076
>>63345067
Here's my plot so far
One of the senior marshals of the upspire Scintilla Bloodsquares has taken the whole 'ritual duelling' thing a bit crazy and has turned to heresy. Using his connections to let off influential nobles by putting them up against weaker opponents, he's used the influence and favours to start a cult dedicated to the big K.
He's been getting these midhivers to abduct people from one of the busiest commute districts in the hive, using their meat business to transport the kidnappees in their live animal transports with reasonable cover.
The kidnappees have been forced to fight each other in secret. The marshal is taking the one who survives and using them in profane rituals as the vessel for a daemon. Unfortunately the last one boiled alive in the warp energy before the ritual was succesful. In a panic they dumped the body and tried to pass it off as a routine killing. But all it has done is draw the attention of the Inq.
>>
>>63345165
Why would the inquisition pay attention to a senior marshal killing any hiver he damn well pleases? I think you need a bigger hook than even a midhiver.

Khorne will take skulls from weak opponents for sure, but it's common for Khornate cults to focus on fighting "worthy" opponents. A particularly frothy one might go out of its way to make an opponent worthier - for example, a marshal might deliberately permit violent criminals to engage in profitable activity before taking them down, to encourage them to be as well-armed as possible. That works best when the local arms dealers are well supplied, so in general, the marshal would just overlook all arms dealing.

The Inq hook could actually be the local IG's weapon warehouses keep coming up with more missing items than normal, even for a regiment with ratlings in it, and this one has no ratlings. It's only after the PCs delve deeper that they even discover the disappearances.

This also lets you tailor the cultist's equipment as you see fit to be appropriate to fighting the PCs, and if the PCs are clever, lets them go into cultist fights with some idea of what they'll be facing.
>>
>>63345342
>Why would the inquisition pay attention to a senior marshal killing any hiver he damn well pleases? I think you need a bigger hook than even a midhiver.

I think anon's hook of 'a corpse boiled alive in Warp energy showed up somewhere' should be enough to grab an Inquisitor's attention
>>
>>63345381
The corpse would have look warpy, so the panic dump would have to be VERY panicked if it's so obvious laypeople can tell but the marshal didn't take basic steps like dumping the body into the food processor.

Flip side: if he DOES dump it in and people start mutating from the warp energy, that would certainly also draw the big I.
>>
>>63345439
The body was recovered first by the Magistratum and then handed over to the Inq. I handled it by having the group visit the morgue and having the psyker use Psynicience to find out the corpse was riddled with residual warp energy. Also the body had a ton of clues including ritual scars and eyes that got blown out due to Too Much Warp.

The marshal isn't directly involved with his kidnapper pawns. He just stays uphive with his cultists who get sent the kidnapped. I've got evidence for the association planned in the form of dataslate evidence, ritual medallions, etc.

I imagine he dumped the corpse in a hurry so that the failed ritual victim didnt come back to life and kill them all whilst sleeping or whatever.
Maybe it was meant to be a handback and the Magistratum found the body before the pawns could recover it.

I hadn't considered having the bodies be turned into actual food but thats a novel concept for any future plot. :)
>>
>>63345499

Onions Green scenarios are actually pretty common in the imperium. Look up Corpse Starch if you aren't already familiar. It's literally Onions Green but they don't bother lying about it.
>>
File: 1543216121887.jpg (19 KB, 480x488)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>63346452

>Filter stops me from making a comparison to a famous sci-fi film
>>
File: 1539122354173.png (404 KB, 383x524)
404 KB
404 KB PNG
>>63346452
>onions green
>>
>>63340860
I saw let sleeping dogs lie but be ready to put them down.
>>
>>63348833
*I say
>>
>>63320715

please do this
>>
File: warrant of trade.jpg (149 KB, 625x625)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>63341809

canon
>>
>>63287572
Name your favorite regiment from a purely lore perspective.

Either Phantines or Ouisivians.
>>
File: Solar Auxilia.jpg (34 KB, 386x419)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>63356282

solar auxilia
>>
>>63356282
Lucifer Blacks
>>
File: Spoiler Image (18 KB, 210x240)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>63356282
feel that ringing in your ears, son?
>>
Daily reminder that Rogue Traders should tell local worlds that eldar piss has lots of medicinal value, such as hair tonic, skin lotion, cough syrup, and more.
Now buy piss in bulk from the Eldar.
You've just snuck magical realm into your game without the DM noticing
>>
>>63359243
Okay but this is called being a snake oil salesmen and it wouldn't work every time.
Also good luck sneaking that past any GM
>I tell them Eldar Piss is medicinal
>get your magical realms out of here Greg
>>
>>63359414
you look at me and tell me a man from space is selling actual genuine space elf piss and you wouldn't believe him
especially if he has special reserve elf piss from females in heat
>>
>>63333876
Going for piracy sounds like a good way of keeping things simply, I would say trust in your players to be on board regarding the profiteering side of RT but that sounds wobbly considering the party build.

Regarding trust play it fast and loose only reel in their worst excesses always be aware that you NEED to make profit and aren't just murderhobos in space.
>>
what are some common houserules for voidship stuff?
>>
>>63360692
Always do boarding.
>>
>>63360692
I think it was called mathhammer or something?
>>
>>63360692
https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/47672-mathhammer-making-ship-armour-count/
>>
>>63359243
Our Rogue Trader is superstitious as fuck he'd probably hoard all the piss to himself and hold jacuzzi parties.
>>
>>63331166
Solitaires are essentially untouchables. They don't have souls for Slaanesh to take in the first place or something. In DH2E the solitaire has an actual profile in enemies without I believe.
>>
>>63360991
It does. They're the second worst thing for daemons and psykers to face, right behind the culexus assassin who can do damage ignoring armor while also ignoring TB if the target is a daemon or a psyker. The only saving grace they have to not murder anything less than greater daemons and daemon princes in a single round is that they don't have swift nor lightning attack.
>>
Should I paint my space marines Blood ravens or black templars? Purely from an aesthetics perspective.
>>
>>63361148
Blood templars or black ravens.
>>
>>63361164
>blood templars
>>
File: 40krpg General.png (1.01 MB, 1229x556)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB PNG
>>63361148
Wrong thread dumbass.
>>
>>63326875
Very low WS & BS, very high fellowship and as much Command as you can buy.

If you can grab the talent "Into the Jaws of Hell" even better.
>>
>>63362975
Roll20 listings fucking never ever
>>
>>63363062
What in the ever living fuck am I reading.
>>
>>63358682
Nice taste.

>>63359155
Not familiar.

>>63359187
I N T H E P I P E
>>
>>63363282
Autism.
The sheer lack of social graces to look for a DM with a 10 member party
At that rate split the fuck up into 2 groups and turn 1 player into the DM in each of them
The most ridiculous roll20 LFG I ever read
>>
>>63363801
That's hardly my immediate reaction. I think the hardest single bit for me to get over is a PC trying to caution a GM against building a single optimal character - it clearly indicates the poster has no idea what a GM actually is.
>>
File: empri tv.jpg (326 KB, 900x520)
326 KB
326 KB JPG
How batshit do y'all like to depict average Imperial life like when running your games?
>>
>>63358682

not a real army.
>>
>>63364474
Most of my inspiration for average Imperial life is the more talented writers at doing it. Dan Abnett in particular is really good at creating a believable theological society that doesn’t break the bounds of belief. The guy who wrote Dead Men Walking also did a fair job before the plot went to actual war.
>>
>>63364474
Some planets are just like us. Some are MYLEGSAREOK.
>>
>>63364972
I want all planets to be MYLEGAREOKAY. Complete with xenomorphs and murdernuns.

Is E.Y.E the inbred Hillbilly version of the Inquisition?
>>
Looks like WANG pre-orders are finally shipping lads! https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/wrathandglory/
>>
>>63364838
Wrong.
>>
For wrath and glory and going pistol + melee:
The core rules say that using a pistol in melee range requires weapon skill, not ballistic skill.

The dual wielder talent says you have to specify whether you are picking weapon skill or ballistic skill when taking the talent. It also says that for pistols, you have to specify that you are taking the ballistic skill as the chosen one. This means that you can't pick weapon skill and gain the ability to dual wield a pistol in one hand and a melee weapon in the other. This is one of the most iconic things in 40k, so I'm wondering if it has been erratad, or if there is some other way to make the idea of pistol+melee weapon work.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the rules?
>>
>>63369365
I feel like somebody was talking about this a couple weeks ago, but I'm drawing a blank. You absolutely should be able to do it, though, even if it requires asking your GM to bend the rules.
>>
>>63369365
Nothings stopping you from having a pistol in one hand and a melee weapon in the other, and using either whenever you see fit. The dual wielder talent isn't for simply holding two weapons, it's only for using both as part of the same attack. So you lose the potential for one attacking option if you mix weapon types rather than specialising in one or the other, but they can still be used independently with no problem.
>>
File: Capture.png (50 KB, 1154x519)
50 KB
50 KB PNG
>>63369365
So I went and checked the official forums after I made this >>63369570
post and turns out I was only partly right.

You can use both weapons independently with no penalty just fine as I said, including as part of a multi-attack, but if you have both dual wielder talents you can use the special dual wielder attack with a combo of pistol and melee weapon. Although you're looking at 60bp to do it at that point which I wouldn't consider close to worth it, but you'd still be getting the versatility that comes from having a ranged and a melee weapon without it, so I'd still consider it viable overall to be carrying both.
>>
>>63287572
Where’s the Karybdis Abyss guy? I’m looking forward to more stuff. Did he die?
>>
>>63369790

I believe the talent also reduces the DN penalty to multi-attack with both weapons by 2.
>>
File: Untitled.png (158 KB, 674x382)
158 KB
158 KB PNG
Some guy on my group's dicksword had a concept for a character, thoughts?
>>
>>63373739
Sounds shit. Seeing as you brought it here, I'm sure it'll be a hit with your group.
>>
>>63373739
They're a faguette
>>
>>63373856
>>63373869

There is nothing wrong with singing idols in 40k.
>>
File: Codex Harlequins 8e.png (104 KB, 619x452)
104 KB
104 KB PNG
>>63360991
>Solitaires are essentially untouchables. They don't have souls for Slaanesh to take in the first place or something.
Solitaires have souls, they've just forfeited them to Slaanesh. I'm not sure why FFG rules give them all those Untouchable abilities, to my knowledge they've never had anything like that in the fluff or on the tabletop.
>>
>>63287572
>>63287572
>tfw you will never fly a thunderbolt or go void-whaling
Kill me lads.
>>
File: d74[1].jpg (10 KB, 460x217)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>63374060
Yeahanyway ... it's still shit.
>>
Which inquisitor ordo would deal with a planetary governor who was trying to ally with the eldar to achieve independence?
>>
>>63375218
Most likely ordo hereticus. Just because an inquisitor is from ordo hereticus doesn't mean they can't handle some Eldar. Unless we're dealing with a very powerful Eldar enemy that requires top quality specialist training, ordo xenos would not be necessary.

In reality though, the Imperium would probably send whomever is available in the sector.
>>
Is the skills that Rogal Dorn have in TTS exaggerated like that time was able to build to that base when Magnus went berserk in just a few seconds? Kinda hard to tell seeing as though I thought that the magic pain glove was some random detail that was just made up until I found that it was actually canon to the 40k universe?
>>
>>63375525
Something to remember about the TTS series is that the maker himself is a major fan of 40k and loves it to bits. But as you know some of the best parody work are those made *by* fans who knows the cool and the faults.
Most everything in it is either exaggerations, or based on memes.
And well, even the memes usually have some *reason* why they came to exist in the first place.

Also, not quite sure that you're even in the right thread.
>>
>>63320715
If you would do those things, you would be my hero. My group has no interest in switching to WANG so improvements to the FFG stuff would be the most helpful
>>
>>63374171
Mechanically speaking if Slaanesh already has your soul, that's as good as not having one for most effects that target the soul.
>>
>>63376073
Slannesh doesn't have their soul until they die though, like any Eldar who doesn't have a soulstone. Thats all a Solitaire is, an Eldar without a soulstone. They're not a fucking blank or untouchable or whatever other bullshit FFG pulled out of their asshole.
>>
>>63376787
Could just be they noticed most of what they were giving the Harlequin was covered by being an untouchable, I'm not sure.
>>
>>63376787
FFG?
>>
File: Eisenhorn6.jpg (43 KB, 357x498)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
I was an autist yesterday, and made a thread about it instead of asking here first.

How to ruin a well developed and respected father figure NPC?
As a GM, I want the PC's to turn on him, but it would be best if they didn't realize that this was my (the villain's) intention all along.

Already tried to saw hints of corruption without being to obvious, but it seems they either just don't realize it, or disregard it as fakenews.

Setting is 40k, playing DH2. Campaign has been running for almost 2 years now, and the players are pretty powerful and influential. The character I'm trying to ruin is their boss inquisitor. Kind of the way that Eisenhorn broke in time. This is the final act of my campaign, I want the PC's to either become powerhouse inquisitor lords by the end, and retire them to NPC status, or die trying.
>>
>>63377710
How quickly do you need the PCs to act? Have you considered going less direct - set other characters to be discovered as secretly harbouring corruption, leading the PCs on a purge that gradually puts together evidence and doubt to direct them towards the NPC?
>>
>>63377710
You need to pick a kind of villainy, which depends on the PCs. For example, many things a perfectly normal inquisitor would do are deeply evil, due to grimderp, so if the PCs are still maintaining sane person morality, that would be my goto - have the inquisitor do something deeply immoral but utterly appropriate, like order an entire hive immolated because one person was found in it with Slaaneshi tats.

If you want him to be a villain by 40k standards, I'd flip it on its head - have him do something utterly moral and hence absolutely against policy. For example, the Slaaneshi whore has a newborn he orders saved, despite it being fruit of the tainted tree.

If the PCs would support both of the above actions, make it so the reason he wanted the newborn was to sacrifice it to Tzeentch as part of some elaborate plot to make an even better daemonhost, or somesuch.

Etc etc. You need to find the line the PCs won't cross, then jump past it at full tilt.
>>
>>63378673
I have 4-5 sessions left before they should "clash". They are still working on another case, I just want to start dripping information on them that seems out of place / stinky, so that when it happens, it won't be out of the blue.
Other NPCs in the world already hinted at corruption (the Inquisitor using his Emperor-bestowed power and influence to further his own agenda, trying to take over politically the subsector). Problem is, the PCs seem to think that it's all part of some greater plan, that Papa Inquisitor must have a secret agenda / some super hidden knowledge about the enemy plans.

>>63379001
See above, Papa Inquisitor is a power-hungry megalomaniac, who is loyal to the Imperium, but sees his own goals as more important then the big picture. Since my PCs are radical as fuck (yeah, I know...), it's hard to get them to be angry.

But hey, actually you gave me an idea. I'll make them do Papa Inquisitor's dirty work. When they realize that the planetary governor didn't have secret nurgle stuff hidden under his bed despite being tortured to death, maybe they will catch up.
Yeah, I think I need to get their own hands dirty, so they feel guilty about it. Then they might get angry at Papa finally.
>>
>>63373739
Let him do it, just dont make it weird
>>
>>63375739
Meh, we are one of the better 40k generals when it comes to lore. It’s not the worst place to ask a miscellaneous question.

Though why he questioned whether or not an obvious meme joke was literal, I’ll never guess.
>>
>>63379855
>>63373739
I could see a character who’s a trained singer giving a rousing performance that fill pc’s with inspiration and confidence in their divine purpose that fells about right for 40k but I’m picturing it more like church choir singer then a pop idol. Also I think demoralizing foes might be implausible.
>>
>>63375859

Careful what you wish for. If the crafting example really is SWG, then it will be really complex and in depth. It won't be the level of Spreadsheets Online, but it will still require mental investment. I used to play SWG so I know full well what to expect but others may be in for a surprise.
>>
>>63380559
>I’m picturing it more like church choir singer then a pop idol
It depends on how much you lean into the Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau elements of the setting. The more you do, the more a church choir can push towards rock, kpop, or whatever.
>>
>>63377547
Fantasy Flight Games.
>>
>>63380926
It's more like the difference between traditional hymns and gospel choirs, with the optional inclusion of Gregorian Plainsong and Christian Metal as extremes.
>>
>>63381161
I know, but are you *sure* that it was them who came up with that tidbit?
>>
>>63384610
I have no idea, I was explaining what FFG means since anon seemed to be asking.
>>
Is anyone running A Wrath and Glory game right now? What's everyone's experiences with it so far?

>>63373739
I sure hope that some guy isn't That Guy
>>
File: 1522664910017.jpg (1.83 MB, 1536x4056)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB JPG
>>63385342
I'm in a few of them. Used to write up stuff for them after each session, but it began to take too much time (and these threads were usually dead when I went to go post something and I hate being a thread starter) so I stopped.
>>
>>63385595
You motherfucker. I was always looking forward to your shit!
>>
>>63363377
>Not familiar.
They're a regiment raised from Terra. Crack troops with the best equipment. They stand guard at the Imperial Palace.
>>
>>63386946
I might do a write up of some stuff at some point again.
>>
>>63387713
That sounds boring. Do they fight at all?
>>
so do you dudes prefer the DW/BC horde system or the OW formations system for representing a group of dudes as a single entity? were there any other similar systems? any homebrew versions of it or alterations?
>>
>>63393248
I prefer WanG's Troops and Mob rules.
>>
>>63363801
I literally just blasted these guys on their lfg forum last night
>>
>>63389410
Yes, they've existed since the the Age of Strife.
>>
>>63294292
The only thing the progenoid does is produce geneseed. So he wouldn't be able to produce geneseed. Might be a mark of shame if his chapter is struggling, but physically he's still as capable as before.
>>
>>63287572
Are there any discords for finding groups?
>>
Looking for a bit of advice on how to kick off a game of WanG I'm going to be running soon. The general premise is that the party are all individuals trapped deep behind enemy lines after a rapid Chaos assault, with the overall goal being to find some way of making it back to safety. I've got ideas for things for them to do and encounter along the way, with the climax likely being a raid on a small enemy compound to steal a flyer, but I'm struggling to come up with a way to actually start the whole thing off that isn't just putting them in a random location and telling them a direction they think they should go.
Any tips or suggestions?
>>
>>63397743

You could start them off flying in a Valkyrie towards whatever objective their commander has given them and then BAM the Valkyrie is shot down and crashes leaving them stranded deep behind enemy lines.
>>
>>63397743
Depending on the party, you could have a fuckton of Daemons just teleport in and start wrecking shit - that way you can let the players decide where they start (since the Daemons are everywhere at once) and decide what direction to go in, without you needing to rob them of agency.
>>
>>63397743
>Players have to breach an enemy frontline from behind to reach allied lines
>Getting to the starport is easy, destroying the fortified AA batteries is not
>"That jungle looked smaller from above" says the navigator in their tenth day lost in this xenos flora
>A party member or a follower NPC actually used to live near an area the party passes through. It could provide a useful bit of shelter given how well they know the layout, but are they prepared for the devastation the heretics have left there?
>A bridge over a deep ravine is the party's next safest line of passage, while frequently used by the enemy it is easy to sneak across. However, their commander (via vox-caster) wants them to make a scene and lure enemies on the bridge so they can bring down a whole division in one swoop.
>>
>>63393745
yeah but that doesn't really help when using the FFG systems
>>
>>63398005

CAN I DO ANYTHING TO DODGE IT? I ROLL TO DODGE IT I HAVE PILOT TRAINED. WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN'T?

RRRRRRRRRRRAILROAD!
>>
>>63400412
>let them dodge
>keep shooting until its shot down
ez pz
>>
>>63400802
>>keep shooting until its shot down

So it is a railroad.
>>
File: index.png (6 KB, 221x228)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>63401680
>So it is a railroad.
>>
>>63399461

Could do something similarvfor FFG. Every hit against the mob that deals damage in excess of their reductions kills one guy. The mob attacks as one unit for each target, getting +5 to hit for every 2 troops focusing on that target.
>>
>>63402807

Oh and have Blast (X) weapons hit a number of troops in the mob equal to X, while Spray weapons hit a number of troops equal to, say, their range divided by 3 to 5?
>>
>>63400412
You could just have the PC's sitting in the back with NPC pilots....
>>
>>63403128

I have a PC who forces his way to the cockpit at the slightest chance that anything could happen to the shuttle.
>>
I've got a game of deathwatch coming up and I rolled a techmarine. What do they do well?
>>
>>63405085
Melee, tech, and tanking.
>>
>>63397098
It's (((Reddit))) but there's a link there somewhere about a Verghast Crusade. The subreddit is really dead but the server isn't.

I played a oneshot with the guys there around Halloween, they're quite alright.
>>
File: image0-93.jpg (35 KB, 404x394)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>63287572
>think about Papa Nurgle and what it would be like to be a plaguemarine
>dick immediately starts itching and wont stop
>>
>>63403783

If that's the case allow him to roll pilot to make a successful emergency landing. Failure means they crash, but success means they land safely but the ship is disabled. Complications could include being trapped inside the Valkyrie or leaking promethium which could lead to an explosion.
>>
File: Razorshark10.jpg (478 KB, 1356x883)
478 KB
478 KB JPG
How would you fix these?
>>
>>63408381
With a burst of las- or cannon-fire.
>>
File: 1339463246471.jpg (167 KB, 640x800)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
>>
>>
>>
File: 1535978167330.jpg (110 KB, 522x522)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
>>63412645
>Neurodyne
>>
>>63408181

the end result is "this valkyrie is going to crash and there's nothing you can do about it"
>>
File: halo5.jpg (134 KB, 1024x768)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
I have never played Dark Heresy 2ed, only the first one.

I remember two things that pissed me off in DH1E - that autofire was a no brainer if available and that everybody should carry granades.

Is this still the case with DH 2ED? How about other 40KRPGs?
>>
>>63403783
That's when your opening line is "You're all sitting in the backseats of a Valkyrie. It's on fire. What do you do?"
>>
>>63419502
Fullauto is no longer an always do, but you should still grenade.
>>
>>
>>63419502
*stares blankly at pic*

Oh, right, you had a question.

*cough*

Full Auto changed to a -10 To hit in Black Crusade, Only War and DH2.0.

Semi- is a flat +0.

Single shot is +10, to encourage its use I suppose.

Works far better than the older system.
>>
Ok,
Sell me on W&G,
Shill me on W&G
Tell me about W&G like it's the new woman on the block you want to hate-fuck for whatever your Pauldrons are worth.

Just... Do that thing you do where there's several people shoving their opinions on a system for a bit that gives me the worst possible outlook on both sides and stops being useful after a handful of replies and then dives into 40k lore territory or fetish discussion.
>>
>>
>>
>>63425481

It's a better base system but completely devoid of content so far.
>>
>>63430401
>It's a better base system
Just stahp right there, shill.
(Aaaand I was about to upload it so you could see the shittiness for yourself, but maximum file size here sucks. Find it yerself in the links.)
>>
Anyone got any good battlemaps for roll20? I can't ever seem to find or make good 40k ones.
>>
How dark do you let your games go? Dark, grimdark, comically grimdark?
>>
>>63433956
As dark as the players want it to. In general tho, sorta Cain tier comic grimdark
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (40 KB, 1280x720)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>63433956

I prefer a more comic approach, but on occasion, I decide to play it straight, which can be somewhat jarring since I usually don't give warning. There was one mission, for example, against a world that was in active rebellion against the Imperium, and a couple of the players tried their hardest to find a peaceful solution that would bring the world back into the fold. But then the Phosphex and Atomics and Space Marines began to rain down...

Everyone was kind of down about that, especially when they considered the loss of life. One player calling it "inefficient" and another left wondering if he had any power to change the outcome. One of my players, in the end, said, "This is literally a by-the-book operation for 40k, but it's not the kind of operation I prefer to dwell on." They felt a peaceful solution would have been better, and still get kind of bitter when NPCs comment on "that fun little compliance action."
>>
File: 1528975089577.jpg (50 KB, 1024x577)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>63436519

>peaceful solution
>40k
>>
>>63430401
>better
Different
>>
>>63436859
Very different - buckets o' dice, buckets o' buttons, buckets o' poker chips, 'icons' instead of 'successes', a star wars wild die, a star wars 'force point' rule, cartoon artwork, 'fail forward', and it goes on and on.
>>
>>63433956
War story grimdark
>Players are trying to rescue wounded guardsmen from a downed valkyrie surrounded by plague zombies
>Clear a wedge through the zombies towards the valkyrie
>Start taking sniper fire (from shitty bolt action rifles, but still unexpected snipers are not a good thing)
>Make it to the valkyrie, get the men on stretchers
>Have to clear another path to get out
>Once they're surrounded by zombies a heavy stubber opens up on them, they can dodge and throw smoke grenades, the men on the stretchers can not.
Who needs over the top innocence proves nothing bullshit?
>>
>>63433956

I like variety. Staying grimdark all the time can be exhausting and/or desensitizing.

I prefer my Hive cities cyberpunk, my brutality comical, and my romances sweet. Going the High Adventure route on average means that when you do choose to drop some heavy shit, it hits harder.

Have to be consistent, though. Portrayal varies, but the framework remains the same.
>>
>>63437017

Failing forward as a rule of thumb is used by pretty much every GM who isn't either new, a total asshat, or invested in sadistic OSR type play.

It pretty much means you don't make people sit around with their thumbs up their asses because the dice are uncooperative. The game keeps moving even if the story doesn't.
>>
Okay, so, I'm trying to plan the conclusion of a 2 year long Rogue Trader campaign and am looking for some feedback. I'm guessing the campaign in total will probably wrap up in around 6 more months.

The main villain of the campaign has been a Lord of Change but, true to form, the greater demon has hidden behind pawns and lackeys while weaving various intricate plans to the point where the players do not know the greater demon exists. While the players have uncovered several of the different plots that the demon orchestrated (such as a civil war between different imperial factions in the sector, the mysterious disappearance of a "friendly" inquisitor, and the corruption of members of the Rogue Trader's family), they have not pieced together that these threats are at all related to each other. With the demon's plans moving into high gear I'd like to finally reveal it overtly to the party.

I intend for the Lord of Change to attack the Rogue Trader's primary colony to steal some artifacts the "friendly" inquisitor left behind as a direct introduction to the threat. However, I'm worried that this may seem like I'm pulling the demon out of my ass even though it's been foreshadowed (the group has ran into Tzeentch cults several times), and that the players won't realize that many of the threats they have been fighting the whole campaign were actually orchestrated by the demon. On the other hand, I feel like tipping my hand (i.e. having some random NPC give exposition or giving the astropath a premonition "the demon behind everything this whole time and is trying to control the McGuffin") is also kind of a cop out.

I suppose my ultimate question is: how to I expose the myriad evil plots of a Greater Demon of Tzeentch without making the plans themselves suddenly easily exposed or by overtly telling the players the plot.
>>
>>63441952
Sometimes the best and most efficient plan is direct action and force. Maybe having the daemon itself in realspace is too much given what it is, but instead have it command a strangely coordinated and tactical proxy army. Maybe some cultists in it shout its name and other shit.
>>
>>63442125
Makes sense. Even if the demon does enter realspace it's going to be very unlikely to leave the battleship it managed to snag and corrupt in the warp. That'd be just begging for the players to launch some kind of insane orbital bombardment at it.
>>
>>63441952
I'd say, foreshadowing. Astropaths have visions, the same of the Navigator a he travels, signs that Tzeentchian shit is going to hit the fan. Imperial tarot readings. the senechal's spy rings starting to notice strange shit going on. Rumors mills on Footfall going haywire with interesting tidbits.

Don't overdo it. if the players don't see it coming, just add a few more hints, collect all the hints you have done trhough the game.
And once the big demon attack is on, have the lord of Change gloat and expose his brillant plot, and tell it has gone
>Just as planned.
>>
>>63441952

>Premonitions

Psykers, especially Astropaths, are made for this. Start throwing them weird dreams related to Tzeentchian symbology (cawing crows or ravens, azure flames, feathered eyes), but avoid mentioning directly that it's Tzeentch- or Chaos-related. Any time they use the Emperor's Tarot, have them draw cards suggestive of the overarching plot. Tzeentch is the master of manipulation, but he is also self-defeating action incarnate: it's in his nature to fuck over a minion's plots with plots of his own.

>Cultist Activity

Have evidence of cults and their actions ramp up as you move forward. This doesn't have to be stuff the characters personally encounter: high-placed allies can mention it off-hand when speaking of troubles in the sector, or underlings can report having successfully or unsuccessfully rooted out saboteurs in the dynasty's myriad holdings.
>>
My DH1e party is coming to the end of a murder investigation arc, and will be Rank 4. Whats a good (meta) way of setting them up for the next mission to reflect their increased status?

i.e. some cool things my players can get with their (supposed) increased standing with the Inquisition? Things like a familiar, or a bespoke gun, or ship access, stuff like that.
>>
Just finished my first session of W&G where we play a group of tier 3 orks. Just some thoughts of the new system:

- Glory seems to just roll in. Even if you can bank only one exalted icon per roll, there seems to be no shortage of it. I wasn't totally sure if this includes attack rolls or not, but I think it doesn't.
- Low defense values. Most of the attacks hit their targets.
- The rule for attacking mobs is a bit confusing. Do you decide how many targets you want to hit before your attack, then miss them all if you miss?
- Probably too many tokens for my taste, but we might use them more once we are familiar with the rules.
>>
>>63339755
You say that as if the sequels were ever worth seeing
>>
>>63446000

Explicitly says you don't multi-attack mobs. Instead, you hit an additional troop within a mob for every 2 icons over the DN you score. You can still multi-attack multiple mobs, of course.

I get that the book's a hot mess to read through at times, though.
>>
>>63446000

Also, Glory does roll in and roll out fairly quickly. I allow banking Glory from attack rolls, but prohibit making a deposit and withdrawal on the same attack (so no converting for automatic +1 damage).
>>
>>63446597
Yeah, although the rules for attacking mobs don't say you hit an additional target for each two successes over the DN, they say "add a cumulative +2 DN penalty for each additional target", then it refers to the multi-attack rules. This made me assume it works like a multi-attack, but isn't considered a multi-attack, maybe for talent purposes.

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up, I'm glad it works like you described.
>>
File: Tengai Shinsei.webm (1.93 MB, 700x392)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB WEBM
>>63433956
Shonen-tier
>>
Has anyone used the Resource and Contact rules from DH1e splatbooks? Just reading the pdfs, they sound pretty cool.
>>
>>63449229
Which?
>>
File: uxBKGT6.jpg (291 KB, 1920x1080)
291 KB
291 KB JPG
My WanG players are about to pull a Casino Heist like the Oceans movies. Party face is entering the "Terran Hold 'Em" tournament against a bunch of rich NPCs they've met and a new character (A rogue trader themed like a cowboy rather than a pirate). I'm going to actually be playing Texas Hold 'Em with Roll20's card function for him; he's trying to distract the casino owner and security as he's become a celebrity of sorts on this planet and everyone will be watching him. The rest of the team will be using the time to try and break into the casino owner's cogitator bank for clues as to a terrorist group the casino owner secretly is helping. If they fuck up they're going to be fighting Kastelan robots (owner got it on loan from the AdMech, and players are Tier 4 so need some serious threat if they get stuck in combat). The casino owner is giving them all a tour to show off how tight security is going to be, not realizing he's giving them a preview of what they'll be up against.

My only problem is I have no map drawn up and I don't really know what to set up. What sort of challenges would make sense beyond locked doors and cameras requiring tech tests? The three performing the actual heist part are a psyker, stealth expert, and tech-priest.
>>
>>63449229
If you mean the ones in Inquisitor's Handbook, then yes.
The noble-born Assassin spent points to create access to family assets, the Arbites made sure they could get information and resupply from any precinct, and the Tech-priest went for better availability and reduced cost on cybernetics/bionics.
We did have a house rule that the appropriate Peer talent was needed at the basic levels, and Good Reputation required for higher valued Contacts.
>>
>>63452241
Wandering guards? People have intuition that can't be spoofed as easily as a camera. Another team thinking of doing the same heist a different way?
>>
>>63445142
>1e
More money?
>>
>>63290816
it's in my top ten movies of all time. Made me want to play Tyranids before the disappointment of them not looking very bug like and more like someone kitbashed a lot of xenomorph heads to bad chinese homebrew casts of Frieza
>>
File: 1534572274433.jpg (10 KB, 360x360)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
Can warp travel also go back in time?
Or can Big Bird put you back in time?
Or are we save from those shenanigans?
>>
>>63459962
Time fuckery is indeed an aspect of the Warp.
>>
>>63460040
forward i know about and i'm fine with but could if tzeench willed it bring a army back in time to save Big E? just to fuck himself over as part of his "plan"
>>
>>63460203
I assumed not because the T-sons have no Cult devoted to it
>>
>>63432948
Yeah the lack of good quality maps for roll20 40k is pretty shite. Even tilesets to make your own are few and far between. Fortunately there are a few advantages compared to say, D&D, the layout of 40k scenes is generally more industrial so you can get away with everything being more square than arty.

I've started using online textures to make my own with some heavy editing, or I chop up maps I can find and edit them to fit what I want.

Here's one I'm planning to use for my group soon, an encounter in an abattoir.
>>
>>63460763
semi-industrial area (could be scaled up)
>>
File: phKcLHY.jpg (1.14 MB, 3571x3456)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB JPG
>>63460827
space hulk tiles
>>
File: Worse than a Malfian.png (182 KB, 500x379)
182 KB
182 KB PNG
>>63460763
>>63460827
>>63460914
I want you to know that I appreciate you and your maps
>>
>>63287572
Everytime I look anywhere like forums or reddit (yes I know shut the fuck up) or twitter or even reviews I just see people saying they like the system for acquisition, but my entire group has found it to be absolute dogshit unless you have a Rogue Trader in your party for the sake of shopping trips.
You need influence to acquire things, but your influence is tied to your fellowship, which means you can't dump stat fellowship even if you're a character that doesn't need it or doesn't want it for RP purposes- like for example almost any god damn combat role in the Imperium, but if you don't have high fellowship then your influence is shit and you can't even pick up basic shit for survival without it.
Our group spent about an hour of a session having to wait for friendly NPCs to help us clear a building with knockout gas cause we couldn't even get rebreathers- which we didn't have to begin with cause we didn't think we needed them, and for whatever the fuck reason rebreaters are 2 Uncommon which makes their DN/Cost fucking 4.
My GM came to the conclusion he's supposed to give out more assets for a successful mission but if a single mission takes more than one session and you need to pick up necessary tools in between getting Assets then you can't use what you don't have, and even then if you roll poorly and don't have enough Assets to cover the difference cause even with Fellowship 4 your Influence is 3 which can easily just be a wash as much as it can a success for something that's got a DN 4.

tl;dr This game needs useful errata and alternative rules for buying shit, does anybody have suggested house rules?
>>
>>63461007
thanks anon. Here's something I came up with in roll20 as a proof of concept, just to show you mashing textures together + adding a dropshadow in GIMP takes about 10 minutes and looks pretty decent.
>>
>>63461256
sorry, not *in* roll20, I meant *for* roll20
Just copy&paste your textures together in your favourite image editor.
I prefer street objects like cover, barricades, whatever to be roll20 uploaded objects, so I can move them / remove them as fights go on
>>
>>63461229
The DM can easily just toss the players whatever he feels they need. Ours is having Space Wolves lend our Iron Warrior fireteam suits of Terminator Armor for a particularly intense mission. Surely the NPCs have a couple extra rebreathers just laying around.

There's shouldn't be a real necessity to spend personal influence on stuff you'll probably never use again/will give back after you're done with it.
>>
>>63461280
I think the idea of throwing necessities besides vox/microbeads for communication just doesn't even occur to him or he just enjoys watching us suffer cause I did try asking the local Enforcers (said friendly NPCs mentioned) if they had some to spare and they're reaction was "nah".
>>
>>63461377
My condolences. Probably just bring it up outside of game time, because if he's not going to feed you influence/wealth often (my DM doesn't really do that, either) he needs to give you options to get the stuff you need to function.

What tier are you guys? If he's making you run T1 characters with fuck all for equipment, that sounds like it's gonna be a real pain.
>>
>>63461393
We're Tier 2 so some lesser rarity things shouldn't be a problem, but our party is a cluster fuck of people without Fellowship and an Eldar.
>>
>>63461256
>>63461269
Where do you find your textures to mash together? Google images?
>>
>>63462783
just google things like "concrete texture" or whatever and its fairly easy to find 5-10 tileable results for any material you want to use
>>
>>63461256
polished this up a bit more, feel free to use this version.
once you add props and npcs it passes pretty much any muster in roll20
>>
Is Rogue Trader fun?
>>
"Battlefleet" Koronus is an Imperial Navy faction in Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2. Do you think we'll ever get more FFG-Setting material in other 40k media?
>>
>>63466596
Yes? Definitely not for brand new players though
Needs people who are into their characters and have goals
>>
How do you play these 40k rpgs? In person or online? I can’t find anyone to play dark heresy where I live.
>>
>>63467800
Roll20 for online play generally.
It has an inbuilt LFG function.
>>
>>63467917
Thanks. I was checking out the roll20 site and it looks like it’s made to play on a pc or laptop. Looks like I might buy a new laptop soon.
>>
>>63468248
yeah its very firmly a PC client. You will generally need a headset w/ mic as well. Most groups run voice chat over discord and play in the roll20 app.
>>
>>63468295

Supposedly it works on tablets too, thought I can't speak from personal experience. Technically works on phones, but doesn't often agree with them.
>>
Currently looking through all the Rogue Trader books, but is there any Psychic Discipline that deals with healing? My group either needs an astropath or a medic but I'd like to try both if possible.
>>
>>63470178
The only proper healing spell I know of is a renegade power. Any non-psychic character could awaken as a psyker with the talent, required experience, GM permission, and then learn the healing power that way but then you'd kind of be a renegade psyker unless you got sanctioned, and if you got sanctioned you'd be expected not to use the healing power.
I don't think Astropaths can get renegade powers but ask your GM
>>
>>63346452
>>63346465
>>63346541
>onions green test
>>
is there anywhere i can find a compendium of all the items in the game?
>>
File: PRAISE BE.jpg (43 KB, 849x589)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>63288619
Just finished adding the Mechanicus soundtrack to the AdMech playlists. On Fanburst too
>>
>>63470178
Rogue Trader doesn't have any healing psychic powers except for the renegade power Desperate Transmogrification on page 102 of The Navis Primer. That also gives an equal number of Corruption Points for the number of wounds healed so it's pretty shit.

You can learn renegade psychic techniques whenever you want with GM approval as long as you meet the prerequisites but the fluffy penalty is that other people of authority, like an Inquisitor, would recognize the dangerous nature of what you're doing.

If you want to be a healer who can also do psychic things your best bet is to be either an Acolyte of Abraxas Explorator, Explorator Sorcerer, or a Missionary Awakened Psyker. That way you get the benefit of proper Medicae Skill ranks and relevant talents with psychic stuff on the side.

If you want to be specifically an Astropath who does psychic healing then you could attempt to convince your GM to let you port over the Biomancy discipline from Dark Heresy. But that tree takes very little effort to become overpowered and take all the threat out of regular fights. Eventually the only reasonable way to kill players is to either nuke them outright with focused heavy weapons or do that to you first so you can't heal your allies.
>>
File: Typical FFG Psyker.gif (1.16 MB, 300x168)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB GIF
>>63474162
Don't be a spoilsport and let the psyker become a magical super saiyan. It's the proper way of things.
>>
>>63327399
>Implying Kurze wouldn't be off in the corner skinning kids and live-streaming it while the Emperor hits him with a broom
>>
Never played Black Crusade, but I will soon so I need to ask, is there any way to play 'Unaligned'? I want to play as a Night Lord but I don't want to worship Chaos. Is it possible to play it that way or nah?
>>
>>63475921
Yes, but you'll have a difficult time for certain things.
>>
File: Untitled.png (362 KB, 565x605)
362 KB
362 KB PNG
>>63475921
Aligning with a God does *not* mean worshipping them.
>>
>>63465311
I run a game for a group of people who all gm their own games as well. You've helped out all 4 of us with this knowledge. Thank you

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.