[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: _88036432_comparison.jpg (21 KB, 624x253)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
I know that folding the brain is one facet that allowed us to become smarter as a species, I'm not denying that, but as someone with no real knowledge of how the brain functions beyond high school biology it makes more sense for the brain to have as little creases as possible - same general size taken up but theres more neurons because all the creases are filled out.

Dont get me wrong, I know thats not how it worked out - but I wanna know what creases give advantage over compared to just a much denser neuron collection.
>>
>>10966685
actually, all the folds create more surface area.
which is used to an advantage for improved capacity and performance
>>
>>10966689
Oh, is surface area important? I'd figured that any given neuron can just connect to the ones around it, so that its volume that impacts function rather than SA
>>
>>10966693
What you say would make sense if the cortex functioned as a 3 dimensional block but it doesnt. It functions more likw a flat sheet around the outside of the brain. Creasing it allows you to fit a bigger one inside your head. Youll see if you look on any coronal cross-section of the brain the dark areas on the outside surface reflect this sheet and are relatively thin. The lighter areas within is purely connectional tissue between different dark areas and has no neurons in it.
>>
>>10966702
Ah yeah, that makes a lot of sense - thanks.
>>
The actual purpose of the creases are to increase drag. When the brain is knocked around like a pingbpong ball the folds slow it down decreasing the impact inside the skull.
>>
>>10966718
that's retarded, if that were true, more species would have brain folds. As it is not even many species that move their heads around a lot more have them.
>>
>>10966760
No, it's correlated with brain size, smaller brains need less wrinkles because their mass tangent is smaller. Animal brains larger than ours have more wrinkles, just look at dolphin brains and elephant brains, and so smaller brains than ours have less wrinkles, like a chimp or a dog brain, and then mouse and bird brains have almost no wrinkles. Seriously, just look at pictures, it explians everything.
>>
File: Elsa.gif (1.5 MB, 364x205)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB GIF
>>10966685
Keep in mind that humans have relatively large head to body ratios. The folded brain allows for the maximum amount of space to be taken up. If you were somehow unable to take all of the wrinkles out and disable that folding property, you would find that our brain is larger than the total cranial area we have.
>>
>>10966685
The advantage of folds (e.g. cristae in plastids, gyration) or tissue projections (e.g. villae) in a biological context is almost always surface area
>>
>>10966790
z-sause?
>>
File: brain.jpg (26 KB, 496x425)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>10966685
how long is an unfolded brain?
>>
>>10966685
The brain is overcomplex; this is why mental disorders exist. It's a huge optimization problem that has to solve itself using pure intuition. Turns out that's not a very optimal solution 100% of the time, and adding creases organizes the emergent neural activity in a manner that gets rid of excess spontaneous activity, like seizures.
>>
>>10966685
Surface area..larger cortex.
>>
>>10966702
That's fucking genius and I am using this method to build a PC.
>:O
>>
>>10966689
Would it work to create a second creased layer above the first? Einstein's brain differed in that one of the fissures were filled in.
>>
>>10967421
What makes you think you could even unfold it? It's probably not even topologically similar to a planar shape.
>>
>>10967903
It probably wasnt filled in more than just one if the areas next to that fissure was bigger than normal.
>>
>>10966685
in every instance of creasing / folding in nature its a case of increasing surface area. at a microscopic level you find this to be true inside some species digestive track for instance and inside organelles in cells

while the brain uses chemicals electrical signals are more important and faster. chemical receptors being released is inefficient. however due to environmental situations like being injured or emotional responses its useful for most of the brain to get specific chemicals to activate electrical receptors at the same time. the chemical cocktail your brain sits in has its composition dynamically adjusted. when your really hurt bad your body tries to dampen the signals being processed so it doesnt impair you to much as you try to alleviate the problem. without creases this may be far less effective and having to release chemicals all through out the internal framework of the brain at the same time is problematic. also due to the folds exposure inside is easier since from the outer most parts there is a depth of the fold and connections farther in can reach the "surface". these can be physically related like tactile sensation processing or related to emotions
>>
>>10968297
This is just wrong.
>>
>>10966685
Ah fuck. I just realized that there are hormones that stop the brain's growth when it's filled the skull.
>>
real talk, would it make smarter people if we did surgery on pre-natal skulls to make them 100x bigger?
>>
Your brain has an outer thin layer of gray matter, the cerebral cortex, where you're gonna find the finest level of organization of neuronal corcuirs. Just beneath there's a vast ocean of fibers and connections, the to so called centrum semiovale. Gross weight of the brain doesnt say much about a species intelligence, you rather want to have the highest possible surface of cerebral cortex (which actually sets apart humans from most of other species).
>>
>>10966702
So as you say it's more like a flat sheet and with the added area we are smarter sure but for that same reason our reflexes are slower(factoring out muscles and smaller body off course) than animals with smaller brains and less surface area since there is less space to travel? Or is that silly because basically movement and such is compartmentalized but still that compartment would be smaller so still a win for peabrains?
>>
>>10966693
There's write matter and gray matter in our brain. The gray matter is strongly interconnected within short distances, while the white matter connects gray matter all over the brain.
It is assumed that white matter is responsible for most emotions and that gut feeling people have, establishing complex relations between seemingly unrelated experiences, while gray matter increases our general intelligence. Our neo-cortex, which is responsible for our extremely good abstract thinking, self-reflection and planning future actions, is mostly gray matter.
>>
>>10968465
*white matter
>>
>>10968437
Seems logical to me that the shorter a neural connection the quicker the signal is removed. How quick I don't know but theres evidence that the brain compensates for the time delay it takes to transmitt signals too when it comes to motor and sensory activity.
>>
whenever seeing a picture of a brain or even thinking or reading about brains i get the distinct illusion that i can FEEL my neocortex
disgusting visualization too brains are fucking gross looking
>>
>>10966685
More surface area for the read/write head
>>
>>10966685
surface area nigga
>>
File: 1488158218896.png (52 KB, 250x250)
52 KB
52 KB PNG
>>10966685
I wanna take out a brain and unfold it so as to allow the folded surface to breathe.
>>
>>10968465
Neuroscience is a fucking joke.
>>
>>10966685
More surface means more oxygenation. As you can see, most posters in this thread have smooth brains.
>>
>>10968608
pretty much this desu.
but i feel the same way about all internal body stuff. its gross and freaks me out
>>
>>10969187
Flesh is indeed disgusting.
Synthetic body parts will free us from our sickening prisons in due time
>>
>>10968465
No no no no, white matter is comprised by the axons of the neurons in the cortex, usually myelinated, that and glial cells (by example astrocytes).

Since association neurons are predominantly on the cortex surface, it makes a lot of sense to have creases in order to have more neurons.
>>
>>10966693
more area=more neurons

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.