[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: nier.png (1.52 MB, 1000x1000)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB PNG
How realistic is immortality in our time, and the creation of the Übermensch, a genetically and technologically modified human?
>>
>>10961427
>How realistic is immortality in our time
perfect immortality is beyond our biological reach with our current bodies.
>, and the creation of the Übermensch
it depends, but its currently possible if you play your cards just right.
>a genetically and technologically modified human?
available but tied by moral laws.
we can go full spartan yet.
>>
>>10961443
>it depends, but its currently possible if you play your cards just right.
How?
>perfect immortality is beyond our biological reach with our current bodies.
Is it possible to modify our bodies to attain it?
>>
File: DCn2L8fWsAEM5g5.jpg (170 KB, 884x1200)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
>>
>>10961427
>How realistic is immortality in our time,
Very realistic. The only problem is a lack of knowledge, regaining immortality is trivial once oyu knwo how. So trivial there is no motivation to publish it despite having been already researched many times; the solution is simply so simple you could not make much money on it. Even patenting it wouldn't help you very much as the necessary technology is commonly available and easily ordered in any amounts necessary.

>and the creation of the Übermensch, a genetically and technologically modified human?

Virtually zero chance anybody would actually want that once they see what the brain can actually do. The same cause that causes aging also disrupts brain functioning. Which can be easily demonstrated by e.g. people being unable to automatically learn langauges beyond the age of five or so. The idea of "enhancing" the brain with something as primitive as a silicon chip would seem silly, like trying to enhance a computer with an abacus.
>>
I want to copy myself to a server. Then remotely inhabit multiple synthetic human bodies. Which are all linked back to me.
>>
>>10961427
>How realistic is immortality in our time
very low
>and the creation of the Übermensch
medium
>a genetically and technologically modified human
already here
>>
Since you're living in a different dimension than others it's not possible, sorry
>>
>>10961446
>Is it possible to modify our bodies to attain it?
yes but only if we map our brains and download it in a body that can take it.
>>
File: 5dmc.jpg (52 KB, 600x338)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>10961909
But you would have to kill yourself to do that.
>>
>tfw born too early to be immortal
>tfw even if we were able to clone ourselves, our DNA is already damaged
>tfw you realize when you die you’ll never exist again
>>
>>10962046
But a copy that thinks it is me continues.
>>
File: TheManyWorldsOfApu.gif (125 KB, 1920x1080)
125 KB
125 KB GIF
>>10962046
> But you would have to kill yourself to do that.
Only plebs do that.

You just need to follow this process.
- scan neuron A's configuration.
- destroy neuron A
- Replace neuron A with artificial neuron linked to virtual neural network
- Repeat with neuron B.
>>
>>10962096
if you are lucky enough...you may be able to have the slight chance of getting your personality on another body through a transplant.
>>
Flip a coin, no one knows
>>
>>10962096
ahahaha
>he doesn't know that you wake up again in the neoverse
>>
Genemodded humans happened years ago.

Seriously, if you think governments aren't working to genetically engineer better scientists, you're basically braindead. They're being kept in blacksites while they're educated, there's around a 20 year delay between birth and first-usable-research. We're somewhere in that delay period.

The only two objections would be:

1. Governments can't do it. This is BS, genetic modification isn't that hard. We have a pretty good understanding of what genes will raise intelligence. Activating them all would get you Newton tier geniuses, with a high chance of mental illness. Govs are well ahead of industry here, they have the resources to push through on long-term projects. Their research lead would be kept secret, obviously.

2. Governments can, but choose not to. This is even more retarded. Governments don't care about ethics, they only want to enhance their strength.
>>
You don't have to worry about the "Cloning Paradox", because any copy of your consciousness will be destroyed due to the No-Cloning Theorem. Your consciousness can only exist at one place in spacetime. So once the copy has been created, the old consciousness will be destroyed and the new one will be you.
>>
>>10961427
>How realistic is immortality in our time?

True Immortality is unlikely to ever be achieved.

>the creation of the Übermensch

The day Eugenics, Rape, Murder and Cannibalism are legalized.

>a genetically and technologically modified human?

A couple centuries maybe.
>>
>>10961427

>>10962046
>>10962105
we don't know how neurons work. And we recently discovered that neurons do crazy shit like exchanging RNA with each other using virus like capsules. In addition there's the possibility that exactly emulating neurons might be much more difficult than we think.
Because we don't understand neurons we can at least say that such technology to emulate them is far off. Perhaps we have to simulate a neuron down to the DNA and gene expression or even keep track of where the synapses are to the subcellular level. If this is the case, we may need radically more powerful computers to emulate the brain.
>>
>>10963302
Do Neurons count as subatomic?
>>
>>10961427
not at all for you if that helps op
>>
>>10963286
you have a point actually shit
china is definitely doing it at least
>>
>>10961896
Based bio poster. You have my sword.
>>
>>10961427

Hopefully, zero. May such a possibility be foreclosed altogether by human extinction. No crab should get out of the bucket, least of all you, OP.
>>
>>10961427

100% realistic to be immortal in our time. If we want it. The time between the wooden glider and the moonlanding was half a lifetime and things are happening much much faster now.

I could could achieve immortality with $1,000,000 to use in hiring and labs, but who am I? A nobody. I have as much access to funding as the 160 IQ Indian boy living in a trash heap does. So instead I spread knowledge. And btw, I mention this to hopefully inspire those who do have access.

Here are the steps to immortality.

1) we need to rethink computer technology. The brain is not sequential, It process things simultaneously, aka "quantum" computing. I know this is a meme, because the developers purposely obfuscate what it is, but it is not a meme. It is simultanious, automaton computation. This is the brains wetware and needed for full brain emulation.

2) we need to boost scanning tech. President Obama started this under the Brain Initiative. Trump I am sure is wisely picking up where Obama left off.

Anyway, China is investing billions in atomic level scanning tech, primarily for this purpose.

3) A scanned and uploaded brain is the original IF there is no overlap in consciousness. This sounds weird but it is PERFECT LOGIC. As logical as split DNA being identical twins while non-split DNA is a single person.

4) We are developing the robotics tech and sim tech, you just don't even realize it. It's Boston Dynamics and Oculus.

5) we need rules for upload and wise people have already written them and are being reviewed by mature audiences.

This is optimum.
>>
>>10961427
>How realistic is immortality
Not realistic at all. Honestly you should stop caring about being immortal or not. You will never be able to live "forever", because of simple physics laws (such as entropy). You're just delaying what will eventually happen no matter what.

But think about it this way. You have lived this life and will live it for an infinite amount of times. This is not your first time. In 10^10^10^56 years i will be writing this post again and you will be reading it over and over, because you have read this infinite times and will keep reading it forever. Maybe, in some way we are already immortal.
>>
>>10961427
>>10961723
post more
>>
>>10961427
hey sci who is willing to form a team dedicated to building a sexy übermensch who will be virtually immortal?
I'm willing to dedicate my life to it, but it'll go faster if we all work on it.
I literally have nothing fucking else to do. I'm sick of working a slave job to make a faggot millions just to spend my time exchange on cocaine and hookers.
>>
>>10961427
if you are asking about when immortality will be available, and not actively working on it, you don't deserve it
>>
>>10964954

I'm down.
>>
>>10963490
This thread is full of absolutely crazy shit like this that has no basis in reality. At what point is a brain scan being simulated on a computer actually "you"? 50%? 75%? 99%? What is the conscious similarity between you and a machine running a simulation of you?

This is even assuming that this level of technology is even feasible, which it probably won't be for I'd guess at least another 500 years.

We are already in possession of these great biological machines already that do what we need them to. We just need to work out a few kinks of repair mechanisms at old age and we could enjoy extended aging without any health consequences.

This is actually probably even easier than we think because evolution had no reason to keep people living to 100 when death was almost certain by 50. The biological changes we need to make are probably relatively simple. Once we clear up cancer, work out organ regeneration, and develop ways to clear out indigestible crap, I'm guessing that will be enough to get us to 500 whereupon we will have developed better technology to deal with the harder parts of aging.
>>
>>10965347
sweet. i'll study the computer and math aspect
(lol faggot I got the easy part)
>>
>>10965780

One thing Important is that the brain is not a sequential processor. When an image enters the eye the entire image gets piped in, not just bit by bit... the whole brain works like this. Look at how the brain is wired, its massively parallel. Would require a whole new programming language to emulate.
>>
File: 1550895158149.jpg (6 KB, 240x240)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
OP, there are two possible methods that will either be independently explored and one pursued, or some combination of the two?

1. Biological Immortality.
2. The singularity solution

Let's explore these.

Biological Immortality: We edit genes and modify/replace organs until we perfect the science of the human body; thereby making a human capable of living forever. This will preferably be without the need of serums or consistent maintenance.

The Singularity: Uploading (or more realistically, copying) the brain of an individual and placing them into either a robot or an android body, extending life far beyond natural bodily limits will allow. I personally consider this the 'lazy man's method.

>>10963286
Didn't know that

>>10963490
Correct

>>10966196
Correct. Apparently Intel is working on brain-like architecture for some experimental chips. Look into it?
>>
>>10961723
>fight in heels
I hate game devs and artists
>>
File: 1544143325309.jpg (71 KB, 900x900)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>10961896
You're absolutely right! but I'll provide a counter-argument to your 'abacus' statement as I believe chips would be greatly beneficial.

The brain is truly so full of potential that it would be idiotic to try and enhance it's basic horsepower via a chip, but wouldn't an enhanced brain be so much better with a neural interface in the from of a chip to accommodate it?

Elon Musk made the observation that technology (namely smartphones for this example) has made humans more powerful, but the main obstacle with this is the time it obviously takes to USE the device; or the INPUT LAG. Now with the brain chip to directly interface with our brains, this would effectively eliminate any significant "input lag". This would greatly enhance the human brain, even with genetic enhancements in place. Wouldn't you agree?

Your thoughts?
>>
test
>>
>>10963302
Transistors in computer foes a lot of thing, but most of its detail is to process digital computation really well. We dont need to simulate all what neurons do, but simulating the very gist of it is sufficient.
>>
>>10966196
Ternary computing exists and is actually superior to binary but hasn’t been explored greatly.
>>
>>10966459
No, you can't make the abacus a bigger upgrade for the computer by devising a mechanism for the computer to directly control the abacus.
>>
>>10961909

Yeah.... we optimally know this will happen basically simultaneous with singularity.... yeah... one of the reasons we say that upload is not the end of the game, just a new beginning.

This is going to one amazing ride.
>>
>>10966698

Oh, and to clarify. I personally do not like this branch, but thats life. Optimally, we have said that we will diverge... just as fish, lizards, mammals, etc... did. Every new, major branch of evolution diverges. This is why we say "we will never forget our common heritage". In an infinite Universe, with super intelligence, real conflict can be minimized .
>>
>>10966512

Correct. Some people say we need to emulate every atom. No. We only need to emulate the neural net. We can minimize this massively. Lines and vectors basically, and it would still be us in accordance with perfect computational logic.
>>
>>10966459

Neuralink will be a key player in upload and should be kindled. Elon is being coy with this (and much more) lol. But I trust that his desires are true, if not predicable.
>>
>>10966513

Of course. But the brain far surpasses that. Massively parallel. Its an "automaton" processor, because that is what the Universe is.
>>
It's not possible in our lifetimes... Ignore the idiots in this thread, they don't know what they're talking about
>>
Not really possible, no. Freezing yourself provides a chance though. But even then the brain damage might be too extensive.
>>
>>10966731
yes the hardware will need a great boost.
>>
>>10966731
it might just be quicker if we tried to understand the brain rather than try and replicate something we don't understand (fully).
>>
I think we won't be able to replicate a human mind digitally with our current computer technology. We need that quantum computing shit
>>
>>10967567
>replicating human minds instead of just erasing existing ones and uploading new data onto them
>>
>>10966731
>because that is what the Universe is
This does not logically follow. Thought is pure representation. The arrangement of atoms is what makes up a representational structure. Positing a universal substance other than the currently posited universal substance makes no sense, logically speaking.
>>
>>10963490
>3) A scanned and uploaded brain is the original IF there is no overlap in consciousness. This sounds weird but it is PERFECT LOGIC. As logical as split DNA being identical twins while non-split DNA is a single person.
You are forever trapped in your meat prison until the day you rot. No amount of fancy brain scanning will change this.
>>
>>10967678
All methods of scanning must be incomplete if we can't find a device that can simulate itself as well as the surrounding universe.
>>
>>10966459
You write that with the expectation of human intelligence equivalent to current human intelligence. In that case, it could possibly be somewhat useful (though I don't think the brain would really be able to use that much speed) But as I said, the actual human brain capacity, when not supressed by *that what makes us age* is incomparable to that, it cannot be properly explained to somebody. The difference is just so big.
>>
>>10967612
I am all up for it if we have the capability of preserving the personality formed.
>>
>>10961896
So how do you regain immortality?
>>
>>10967815
>that which makes us age
Go on
>>
>>10966439
>fight in heels
i love vidya devs and artists
>>
>>10968103
Time travel is a common method.
>>
>>10967670

The universe is basically an automaton. Key point here is simultanious computation.

When you complete math on a blackboard. Sequential.

Universe is simultanious.

Look at the brains structure, it has a wiring. You can google images of it. The wires all fire simultaneous. Completely different from contemporary computer architecture which completes 1 calculation at a time.
>>
>>10968384

To continue:

We need an architecture and coding that is simultaneous. Similar to automata.

When an image enters the eyes, the complete image pipes in at once, not bit by bit. These complete concepts move through the brain at once and simultaneously. It does not move 1s and 0s, it moves complete ideas. Will require complete rethinking of architecture and coding language.

Again, I could complete this in a year for approx 1 million USD but people would rather make memes and watch their parents die of old age when immortality is in site, so whatever.
>>
>>10968103
>>10968135
Do you have any idea how much that infromation would be worth?
>>
>>10969001

It would make Apple's value look like pocket change. No fucking shit. Some came here recently and gave you the greatest social proof in the history of science to help convey this message, because even the elite are fallen.

We can be immortal Anon. Not a meme. This real, and possible.
>>
>>10969134

Some came here and gave you unified physics. The equation. Of everything.

And it was so you would selfishly believe that material eternal life is possible. Because it is.

Not a meme.

We do no have to die.

The time between the wooden glider and the moon landing was less than one lifetime, and things are happening much faster now then than.

We can have this. Eternal life. If we want it.
>>
>>10969147

A few spelling and grammar errors obvs. I know of course. Please stop your shallow meming bullshit and lets do this
>>
>>10969147
Is this post satire?
>>
File: HeMadeThis.jpg (339 KB, 1072x1440)
339 KB
339 KB JPG
>>10970730
No, that's Gary.
>>
File: 1511035988327.gif (430 KB, 245x146)
430 KB
430 KB GIF
>>10961427
>a genetically and technologically modified human
>Übermensch

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.