[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Use with [math] tags for inline and [eqn] tags for block equations.
  • Right-click equations to view the source.
  • There are 45 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: 1422363325430162479.jpg (93 KB, 640x353)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
how many days before exam do you start learning for that exam?
>>
>>10718990
The day you're born you're on the clock.
Now stop shitposting on /sci/ and review your notes again.
>>
The picture is so funny
>>
>>10719000
i have no notes of mine
im going to ask girl from group for notes xD
>>
>>10718990
1/2
>>
30, 14 when I have another exam before that
>>
>>10718990
i don't i just wing it
>>
>>10718990
Learning is a constant. The exam is just a sample point.
>>
>>10718990
I usually start studying specifically for an exam 1 day before. This is typically just a quick and dirty session of memorization because I will, usually, have a pretty good understanding of the subject.

Pro tip: If you pay enough attention in class, you don't even have to study.
>>
>>10720052
Based response
>>
>>10720052
Good advice, but I'd recommend 1 or 2 weeks earlier, even if you feel you understand the subject.
Less stressfull and safer
>>
>>10720052
highschool tier advice
>>
>>10720236
Yeah, that's true but only if your understanding of the subject is not as good as you thought. I'm a senior and so far this has only happened to me 1 time, so I'm fine taking the risk.

>>10720240
Adds up because undergrad is easier than highschool.
>>
>>10720052
Unironnically this, I breezed through my physics bcs and masters by just winging it. Had to actually work on phd though which sucked.
>>
>>10719065
You are going to fail and you don't deserve to pass.
>>
>>10720262
Undergrad in I'd say anything other than engineering is several tiers easier than high school.
Physics and Math may be "hard" but for those who actually know the subject, it takes like no effort at all to just get an A in every class and switch every gen ed class to pass/fail and get a 4.0
In high school, for me anyway there was no option to make a class not count toward GPA. So the only way to realistically get a 4.0 is to underachieve and take the easiest classes you can, and as few as possible. In high school 6 classes is ordinary, and you legally have to be there at 8am or whenever school starts, which fucks your learning ability the entire year if you're not a morning person. While in undergrad 6 classes is considered insane, and you only have to take an 8am every now and again if you're unlucky. If you want, most semesters you can make it so your earliest classes are only at 11am. I'm a math and computer science double major about to graduate and I never once had to take an 8am, but that's just luck. I have a 4.0 because every term I'm not too exhausted to think about math. And if I can think about math, that's literally all the work required to get straight As in a math degree, just being able to think is enough. No projects, trivial hw assignments, and exams that don't require any studying. Math degrees are a joke. CS is a decent workload though, but not as much as an actual engineering degree.
Literally every aspect of high school is harder than even the "hard" degrees. For engineering you have to do a lot of work compared to high school so I'd say EE and ME are harder than high school, while the other meme engineers like ChemE and CivE are about the same difficulty as high school.
>>
>>10718990
>Start walking to the quad at 11:45am to start studying (separations finally is at 12pm tomorrow, one of the hardest CHEME classes)
>get some chipotle for brain food
>at 12 get a call from my friend, but can’t hear what he’s saying
>“are you coming to the test?”
>oops test was today, no biggie
>walk briskly to the quad, get to exam room at 12:30
>loudly eat chipotle chips while my classmates’ stomachs grumble
>get a low A on the test and maintain solid B for the semester
Anon just be like me
>>
>>10720387
"switch your gen/eds to pass/fail and get a 4.0"

do you go to a university specifically made for retarded children?
>>
>>10720387
I have always gotten the impression that Chem E is the worst on workload, though perhaps not difficulty. I wouldn't do it because I don't much care for chemistry.
>>
>>10720404
Is B enough to get a decent industry job or a good college?
>>
>days
That's brainlet exam prep. This >>10720052 anon has it right, just learn in class like you're supposed to.

Most exams only cover about 30 hours of lecture material so even if you didn't go to any of your classes at all you should only need 3 pretty reasonable 10 hour days to prepare.
>>
>>10721025
That's only true if you don't need to do additional problem solving to learn important lessons, which depends entirely on the density of the course. There's also courses that are largely about memorization, the lecture only giving you a conceptual framework to aid your time outside of class reading the mountain of shit.
>>
>>10718990
I mostly try to do 2 months, but it's almost never possible to actually study concentrated for day x so long, not because "you lose motivation", but simply because of
Homeworks
You don't have the required material yet
Class commitments
Labs (although I couldn't attend this semester because I failed the required test)
So mostly I end up 3-4 weeks before that studying 6-8 hours a day. I mostly forgot stuff especially in math, since most homework themes rewrite the old ones and it's like I study it the first time.
>>
I don't like it when people write "undergrad is so easy", given that I failed the entire first semester although I did study 5 hours everyday for 2 months.
>>
>>10721168
You may have an IQ two standard deviations below the mean, anon.
>>
>>10718990
1 day. Aka today.
The exam I had yesterday I started studying one day before. To be fair it was pretty easy. I think I got 100/120 and that's only because I didn't show up for the lectures in the last few weeks because it was all theory bullshit and I didn't think it would be on the test. It was the least valuable question so it didn't really matter.

Tomorrows is probably going to be a bit harder but I only need to get 35% to pass the whole class so I'm not too worried. Would still like to get better than that though. But fuck me I'm too lazy to study so what can I expect. fml.
>>
>>10721172
Wasn't it that everyone who passes high school/the German Abitur has an IQ of at least 105?
>>
>>10720052
>I usually start studying specifically for an exam 1 day before
>If you pay enough attention in class, you don't even have to study.
Are you a high school student?
>>
>>10720240
I got my BSc in Physics doing this, just because you're not smart enough doesn't mean no one can do it
>>
>>10721211
You are probably top 1% in IQ, Physics has a failing and dropout rate of near 80%
>>
File: kot.jpg (25 KB, 250x201)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>10720387
Im doing CS and its pretty easy
>told professors during an interview at the end of term that i dont deserve the highest grade since most of my work was done half-assed and i barely did anything
>they insisted on me getting a higher grade then what i asked for (like 15% bump)
>ended up with 98% grade (lost a couple of marks on exam)
>HEAVILY borrowed most of my code from existing projects and told them that, they didnt care.
PS: considering switching to puremath major, or double in math&cs
>>
>>10718990
I dont, it works most of the time.
If i think I failed I just claim medical issue (ADHD or anxiety) and get resit exams like a month later so i can study for it
>>
What are you guys studying if you think undergrad is easier than highschool?
I basically didn't study at all in high school but if I don't study in my current degree I know I wouldn't pass.
>>
>>10718990
usually the day before, sometimes I wake up early and start studying the same day if it's in the afternoon.
At least 2 days before the exam I begin to collect notes from people, ask them what they think is the hardest part of the material, and ask my friend at lunch to state what the important properties/tricks to always use are so I have an idea of what I'm going into.

In classes where I need or want to get more than a C or B (kinda the upper bound if you start learning a day before), I usually start working on it the weekend preceeding the exam, plus the 2 nights before.

I classes that genuinely interest me and that I really like I don't review for the exams, I just ask questions to my professors and make sure I'm updated and understand everything all throughout the semester. Sadly there are that many of these classes.
>>
>>10721286
They're trolling
>>
>>10721001
if you can make a good application and did interesting projects/classes during your undergrad, it's enough to get into a good masters program. Then you can get a decent industry job.
>>
>>10720262
>senior
what do you mean? post-graduate?
>>
It honestly depends on the course, like if it's a weed out course where the class average is like a 30% then I start studying like a week before because the professor is going to try to push your shit in.

Otherwise I study one day before or the day of usually. Like >>10720052 said, just go to class and pay attention, i.e. don't fuck around on your phone, take notes, review them after class and right before the next class, etc...
>>
>>10720356
Imagine actually taking notes
>>
>>10722419
in polish private higher education institutions there are no weed out courses because students choose institutions which are easy to pass through, they go there just to get a higher education diploma, so institutions dont want to lose clients (students)
>>
>>10722440
>when the instructor sees you not taking notes and tries to give you shit
I've actually had one hold enough of a grudge about it to keep calling on me in class to answer questions and write a note on a graded exam, claiming I got a C because I don't take notes rather than the actual reason (I didn't bother doing homework). It's interesting that people with doctoral degrees can't fathom someone preferring to fully listen, follow along and think ahead instead of devoting significant focus to hurriedly copying everything written and said which is mostly a duplication of the text book anyway.
>>
>>10721207
Are you sub 130 IQ? Probably so
>>
>>10718990
Define study? Like on monday I just review my monday notes each day until my next class on wednesday. Then I do the same for the Wednesday notes until Friday. Caturday I look at both those days notes as a last look up.
>>
>>10722419
>taking notes
>>
>>10721215
>Smart enough to easily pass each class.
>Not smart enough to have social awareness.
Classic
>>
>>10723768
you need low iq to be social
>>
>>10722772
>he doesn't skin through the textbook for 30 minutes before the exam
yikes, don't go into research
>>
>>10724204
t. friendless loser
>>
>>10718990

How I did it during university:

IF it's the first exam of the term
THEN on the first day with no lectures
ELSE IF there is an exam on the day before
THEN just after that exam ends
ELSE the day after the previous exam
>>
>>10718990
30 minutes.
>>
>>10724204
false lmao
It's actually the opposite, in normal conditions "social intelligence" correlates with fluid and crystallized intelligence, though mostly with the later
>>
>>10724204
tfw too smart to have friends.
>>
>>10724404
It doesn’t at all
>>10722772
you go to class and “pay attention” and you’re calling other people stupid
>>
File: 1541107813834.jpg (80 KB, 720x720)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>10718990
>tfw studied ~200h over the last three weeks
it's almost over lads, just one more and i'm done
>>
>>10719000

>Reviewing notes

Do people unironically do this? I take notes slowly, work through examples, and then just start tackling exercises. I very rarely refer back to my notes, and unless you have a double digit IQ, memorizing definitions and shit shouldn't require constant review. The exercises are what actually build your knowledge, and taking notes is essentially pregaming your exercises.
>>
>>10718990
about 16h
>>
>>10723768
Based
>>
usually, 2-3 days before an exam while hardly paying attention to class beforehand

i usually score below average but within a standard deviation :)
>>
>>10724755
if presentation is not provided by lecturer i use notes to studying for exam, of course notes from others because i dont take notes myself
>>
>>10721184
>Tomorrows is probably going to be a bit harder but I only need to get 35% to pass the whole class

American education, kek and your grade curves.

Here you need 60% or you are out. Dont know anyone who's looking at material just one day prior.
>>
Studied probably no more than 15 hours over the 4 years I did in undergrad. I mean, I fell for the Finance/Econ major meme and had a 2.7 GPA, but I came out alright.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.