[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Entry Level.png (23 KB, 591x404)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
How's the job search going for you?

I graduated 3 weeks ago, sent in 20 applications and I had one offer I had to refuse.

This "entry level" BS is starting to piss me off. I just apply anyway now.
>>
>>10646923
i applied to a phd program and ruined my life for 7 years, but now i’m in a cushy postdoc and finally will make enough to buy an engagement ring for my awesome gf who supported me the whole time

i’m happy af now. but it sucked balls to try to make it into academia. still trying to overcome my alcoholism and generally unhealthy lifestyle i adopted to make it through the better part of a decade. worth it tho
>>
>>10646970
*and by supported i mean emotionally. not financially
>>
>>10646970
phd in what field might i ask, and whyd it ruin your life
>>
>>10646977
physics. it ruins your life at least temporarily because you make shit money compared to peers who go into industry and you get treated like a slave. like being moved from city to city at your advisor’s will and staying up till 4 to make plots and slides that you need to make because of some stupid deadline that in reality you could just email whenever, but phd students need to fill the agendas

that’s after you go through the 2 years of blisteringly hard homeworks and exams that you work late into the night on and deliver to class at 9am, and even so all the chinese students all get 100 on magically while you only get a 90

whatever
>>
>>10646923
i got a degree in biology but never ended up getting a job in the field
>>
>>10646923
>How's the job search going for you?
I got an internship with the DOE and I recently received word that I'll have to take an exam for the NSA’s Data Scientist position I applied for about a year ago. Hopefully one of the two will land me a comfy job
>>
>>10647071
i had a DOE fellowship (a really nice one) and all my postdoc apps to nat’l labs a year later got rejected. fuckers. and to add insult to injury, they sent out an email, including me, that they only filled 1 out of the initial 3 positions. and i was more than qualified. DOE sucks balls
>>
>>10647071
Nice! Sounds like compsci?
>>
>>10647149
Well shit, I was hoping something good may come of this. I applied for DOE scholars program and the people at the ORISE made it seem like it was a gateway to employment
>>
>>10647168
Close. Bachelor's in ChemE and minor in compsci, the "research" I did was mainly debugging and rewriting scripts for VASP and doing Fortran shit
>>
File: Degrees $vstime.png (6 KB, 591x404)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>10646996
This is basically the chart my senior design professors showed us. They both said this is accurate for 90% of people, especially including professors who don't teach at IVY league schools.
>>
>>10647199
Why not drop out and get a free masters, you could've done corporate research
>>
>>10647248
I've graduated
>>
>>10646923
Got an offer a year before I finished my PhD, can't complain.
>>
>>10647380
Fuck. Everyone has a PhD.
>>
>>10647393
Clearly not everyone, or else I wouldn't have been hired on the spot (right time, right skills).
>>
>>10647415
Employers here are pretty elitist. I met a researcher at an event and he was keen on hiring me because I have 6 years of experience writing speech recognition algos but learned that I only had a BS in Math (albeit from a very competitive school).
I told him I thought about getting my PhD but ended up working for that company as I had been working with them since even before I graduated. He just said "we'll keep in touch".
>>
>>10646923
hs degree, ~ 80 resumes, 3 interviews, not bad
>>
>>10646923
>had an offer
>refused
>WAAAAAAAAAAA 3 weeks after graduating
You're trolling, right? I had a job (Chem) 2 months after graduating. Got two offers within a week of each other, wound up turning the lesser of the two down.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.