[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1555359058038.jpg (28 KB, 1200x800)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
I told you this for years, its not a 'black hole' its a fucking star you can see the star around its center.... ,its just that the gravity in the middle makes it so you can't see the light just like you can't hear sound once sound barrier is broken. black holes are just stars with a gravity that breaks the light barrier. its not a hole in the center to another dimension or w/e, its just real fuckin hot and compressed star juice squished so hard by gravity faster than the speed of light. yea I said it, fuck Einstein you fucking niggers screenshot this for when you all get proven wrong in 50 years
>>
File: Planet of the apes.jpg (9 KB, 346x146)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
Fuck why didn't I think of that analogy? You are so fucking based anon. The balls
>>
>>10561881
Fuck the galactic core, intergalactic black hole is way fucking sexier. On April 9th an Anon here on sci claimed to have taken this image from a poorly secured NASA server. I think it is fucking real.
>>
>>10562220
interbrain shit post
>>
dios mio
>>
Yeah well you were wrong then and you're wrong now.
>Watch the language chief
>friendly warning
>>
I'm gonna go ahead and point out that is not an accretion disk, that's a plasma torus. Accretion disks are diffuse. I'm all for the super hot and loud black hole theory, but that's a plasma torus and not the outer edges of a star or whatever the dickens OP was trying to describe. Lol good analogy though.
>>
File: Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg (23 KB, 500x375)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>10561881
>can't hear sound once sound barrier is broken
>gravity that breaks the light barrier

That's why post 1800s physics shouldn't be showed to brainlet masses.
>>
>>10561881
Lol
>>
>>10561881
That's why it's called a black hole. It's a star with a gravitational force exceeding the nuclear force within it, making the gravitational pull strong enough to pull in light, causing it to not reflect anything.
Therefore it is a black hole.
It was never supposed to be a literal hole, retard.
>>
Why is it hypothesized that there is a singularity in the center. Why couldn't it just be very dense matter with a finite non-zero volume?
>>
>3.5-4.5 million solar masses within a 44 million km sphere
>star

I'll take Disastrously Doubtful for $400, Alex
>>
>>10563328
Because the gravitational collapse is stronger than any outward pushing forces.
There's no known mechanism to keep it from infintely collapsing towards a central point.
It may not be an actual zero dimension singularity, but unless you can solve quantum gravity the math all breaks down as you approach the point and gives rise to singularities.
>>
it's not even a picture of anything in particular. they ended up with tens of thousands of images of what are basically random noise due to the distance and interrupting material involved, and picked something that looks the closest to a popular concept of what a black hole might look like. the whole thing is literally bullshit. at least according to a guy that works at the hawaiian lab that was involved.
>>
>>10563342
Thank, that makes sense.
>>
>>10563347
This is an incredibly oversimplified misrepresentation of how the data processing in VLBI works. The team published several papers on their data processing methodology , you can read them for the details. Astronomers are confident this image is an accurate reconstruction of the data.
In fact, over the years the EHT team will be including more telescopes in the array. When they do this, the data processing will become simpler and require fewer technical judgments.
>>
>>10561881
It's an entrance to the fifth dimension idiot
>>
File: baithole.png (96 KB, 950x700)
96 KB
96 KB PNG
>>10561881
>>
OP here, how come none of you brainlets attacked me for saying "Faster than the speed of light". That's what I'm saying---black holes are a gravitational force faster/stronger than the speed of light.
>>
>>10564464
I mean that's kind of correct, a black hole is massive enough to warp spacetime to the point that not even light can escape.
>>
>>10561881
Ironically, the EHT data cannot rule out exotic objects like boson stars.
>>
>>10565300
If you hear hoofbeats and you're not in africa then it probably isn't a zebra.
>>
>>10565300
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/2041-8213/ab0ec7#apjlab0ec7s8
>At the same time, it is more difficult to rule out alternatives to black holes in GR, because a shadow can be produced by any compact object with a spacetime characterized by unstable circular photon orbits (Mizuno et al. 2018). Indeed, while the Kerr metric remains a solution in some alternative theories of gravity (Barausse & Sotiriou 2008; Psaltis et al. 2008), non-Kerr black hole solutions do exist in a variety of such modified theories (Berti et al. 2015). Furthermore, exotic alternatives to black holes, such as naked singularities (Shaikh et al. 2019), boson stars (Kaup 1968; Liebling & Palenzuela 2012), and gravastars (Mazur & Mottola 2004; Chirenti & Rezzolla 2007), are admissible solutions within GR and provide concrete, albeit contrived, models. Some of such exotic compact objects can already be shown to be incompatible with our observations given our maximum mass prior. For example, the shadows of naked singularities associated with Kerr spacetimes with $| {a}_{* }| \gt 1$ are substantially smaller and very asymmetric compared to those of Kerr black holes (Bambi & Freese 2009). Also, some commonly used types of wormholes (Bambi 2013) predict much smaller shadows than we have measured.
>naked singularity, boson stars, gravastars, wormholes
interesting

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.