[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 4CSLTQV.png (495 KB, 800x799)
495 KB
495 KB PNG
Is psychiatry a complete and total meme of a discipline?
>You see, you don't behave and think the way you ARE supposed to behave and think therefore you have a mental disorder.
>Whoops, social conventions have changed and now you're perfectly fine and the people who think otherwise now have a mental disorder.
>>
>psychiatry
not science or math
>>
>>10380815
>science
not math
>>
>>10380662
i think psychiatry is a meme in the sense that u.s. prison rehabilitation is a meme
it works for some, not so much for others...
>>
>>10380662
It's easy to believe this when you're not the one suffering from a mental disorder. Not everyone is like you. Remember op, a lack of empathy is common in autistic people. Might wanna get yourself checked out.
>>
>>10381661
>OP is clearly concerned about the welfare of people whose lives are ruined by pseudoscientific theories and unsophisticated quacks
>casually accuses OP of lacking empathy and tries to gaslight him
I'd hate to know you irl.
>>
Even the DSM admits mental "illness" or "disorder" is an arbitrary designation. The definition of "mental disorder" is something that interferes with daily functioning. You could open eye hallucinate 24/7 and it wouldn't be a "mental illness" unless it negatively affects your quality of life. You could also be a pedophile, but as long as you don't act on it and don't feel bad about it, it's not medically classified as a mental illness.
>>
bretty dumb, I agree OP
>>
>>10380662
it can be pretty meme-y at times

like asperger's was just reclassified as autism recently. there's a handful of really vague diagnoses that psychiatrists use just to say "heres your answer" like BPD/autism. things like psychopathy have different criteria in different countries
>>
>>10380662
This is a misleading characterization, as you would by definition not have a mental disorder unless it was causing yourself or society distress/major difficulty. The vast neurodivergence of the population at large does not qualify as disordered despite whatever you yourself or /pol/ have convinced you to believe.
>>
>>10382551
>things like psychopathy have different criteria in different countries
As with virtually any other disease.
>>
>>10382572
no shit
>>
>>10380662
Psychiatry is the contemporary analogue of blood letting. None of the procedures or drugs have a shred of empirical evidence to the support them. The "diseases" are opaque clusters of subjective symptoms which could be caused by a vast of array of distinct factors (ranging from entirely psychological to entirely neurological). The "profession" of psychiatry involves little more than knowing about seven rough categories of human behavior and three classes of drugs, any of which can be prescribed for any psychiatric condition (isn't it a bit odd that SSRIs happen to be an effective treatment for every one of these ostensibly "distinct and well defined medically conditions"?). I'm quite convinced that a bright kid could master the field of psychiatry in a weekend of Wikipedia searches.
>>
>>10380662
Check out the Rosenthal Experiment:

>For this experiment, Rosenhan used a well-known research and teaching hospital, whose staff had heard of the results of the initial study but claimed that similar errors could not be made at their institution. Rosenhan arranged with them that during a three-month period, one or more pseudopatients would attempt to gain admission and the staff would rate every incoming patient as to the likelihood they were an impostor. Out of 193 patients, 41 were considered to be impostors and a further 42 were considered suspect. In reality, Rosenhan had sent no pseudopatients; all patients suspected as impostors by the hospital staff were ordinary patients. This led to a conclusion that "any diagnostic process that lends itself too readily to massive errors of this sort cannot be a very reliable one".

>There was also a significant reduction in the number of admissions to the hospital. This suggested that psychiatrists had been over-admitting before the non-experiment was conducted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosenhan_experiment
>>
>>10382566
>The vast neurodivergence of the population at large does not qualify as disordered
What is disordered and not is in the hands of the modern inquisitor, the psychiatrist. In my country they can put you in a mental hospital against your will with the signatures of two of them; I don't feel comfortable with the idea that people who practice such a fuzzy field have so much power, and don't get me started on psychiatric "medication".

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.