[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1513426793262.jpg (176 KB, 721x732)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
Where are you now and how are you finding it so far? Was age ever an issue when it comes to learning?
>>
I'm 26 and in my 2nd semester.
4.00 gpa first semester. Honestly wasn't so bad. I genuinely enjoy getting to use my brain in comparison to menial corporate work I did up till now
>>
It made it easier since I was more mature and it was really easy to do the little things that put me ahead of the class.
>>
>>10286613
Also this, it feels good to feel stupid for once.
>>
I graduated and I'm now on a gap year (that's how much of a shit I give about being older) and will be doing my MSc when I'm 26ish. I'm totally fine with it.
>>
>>10286621
Also what I noticed is that the more you advance the older the people get.
Like undergrad there are some older students but not much. But in postgrad you meet a lot of students who are not "on schedule", many nearly the 30s or even past 30.
>>
>>10286583
Yo f.am, doing my PhD now. At the beginning it was kinda weird being 23 among a bunch of 18 year olds, but I never felt that I lacked an intellectual edge
>>
>>10286637
yeah i dropped out of middle-school and to college when I was 22. God, American public schooling is draconian.
>>
>>10286645
I can't even blame it on that. The school system never failed me, I managed that just fine on my own. I blame much of it on my ADHD which made my first attempt at uni hell, but I didn't get meds before 25, and I managed to scrape by when I reapplied at age 23. Norwegian health care and education means I wont even be a debt slave for the rest of my life
>>
>>10286583
23 starting my second semester of EE; straight As baby
>>
>>10286659
Also have a 19 year old slave Gf
>>
File: 1468299234828.png (184 KB, 291x273)
184 KB
184 KB PNG
>>10286613
>anxiety and insecurity got the worst of me and will now be starting undergrad at 27

I really am thinking of ending it all, only positive is looking a lot younger than my age but i can't lie about that on a resume. So much wasted time, i feel like i've hit a brick wall and have no options left.
>>
>>10286670
Just enjoy it man.
A lot of people change professions during their lives you're not that big of an anomaly.
Does your school have a co-op program?
>>
>>10286670
it is what it is anon just focus on what you can control, it's all we can do
>>
>>10286670
Maybe you're kicking yourself about wasted opportunity, but you'd be kicking yourself way harder in five years. Be proud that you got your shit together enough to make another go at it and use that to set yourself apart.
>>
>>10286583
I honestly don't know how you guys can do it. The better question is why? Especially in our non-existent job market. What's the point in getting a degree you can never use? Why not just self-study for free?

My story:
>Graduated on time at 22 at a top engineering school.
>Good GPA at 3.6 for a uni without grade inflation. Worked 2 internships during undergrad. Got 3 relevant certifications.
>Worked another internship at major national lab upon graduation for 6 months.
>Published first article written in undergrad as the first and correspinding author.
>Start a PhD, do extremely well, get TAships.
>In my 3rd year I got an assistant lectureship (extremely rare and prestigious posts for a postgrad here).
>BUT
>Adviser loses grant because another postdoc linked on it essentially stole funds and the review committee refused to renew.
>Never applied to other funding because I was fully funded
>I was forced to finish as many papers as possible and my thesis while living on a starvation diet (often elying on help from friends)
>My adviser could only offer me a Masters degree.
>Take it and graduate with a very high mark and 3 letters of recommendation from prominent academics.
>Keep some low paid contracts at the institute tied to my university while I apply to other jobs.

One year later:
>Was directly promised work at 4 different companies through my network, but none of them delivered because mosy companies were down scaling.
>Applied to hundreds of jobs (doing my research on company, tailoring CV etc on all of them) and never got a single interview.
>Applied to other PhD positions and never got accepted.
>One of the application the Head of Department told getting into his programme with funding was a sure thing because of my publication record alone.
>Didn't get in.
>The last time I got feedback was an application to a company where they asked my why I have CV gap.

Continued
>>
>>10286687
>I explained to them I was employed as an assistant lecturer and researcher finishing papers from my Masters
>Nope 6 hour/week contract is still CV gap, application rejcted.
>Told I am too old (26) to apply to PhD programmes twice now in USA and EU.

I don't know what to do friends. I have a very Github profile developing OS libraries, so I was thinking about trying to transition to software development.
>>
>>10286670
>So much wasted time
Worrying about wasted time is more wasted time.
>>
>>10286689
>A very good* Github profile
I apologise for the lack of revision. Typing this up on my phone and keep getting interupted by assholes on the bus.
>>
>>10286689
>>10286687
hoyl fuc

shouldn't it be easy to get a tech related job if you have a masters and programming exp? What field are you in? Or is tech bubble really bursting soon? Ever considered learning to become a blockchain/ dApp dev? Not everyone knows how to create a smart contract utilizing oracles
>>
>>10286689
>>10286687
What did you study? Is it really that hard to land a software job where you live? That's rough
>>
>>10286679
the one i plan to transfer to (as if starting at a CC isn't pathetic enough) does.

I feel as if i'm beyond hope mentally. I'm currently taking tranny pills while having highly recessed hairline. I even went through CBT therapy with the hardest exposure being something like go to starbucks and get something without your hat and walk back. I wear a beanie 24/7 due to insecurity. at least people say i look like some teenage twink with it on i guess.
>>
File: 4s42lmjj3xs11.jpg (49 KB, 576x768)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>10286702
Fuck off blockshits
>>
>>10286689
>Told I am too old (26) to apply to PhD programmes

is this actually a thing for mid 20s lol? why is it even?
>>
>>10286689
>Told I am too old (26) to apply to PhD programmes twice now in USA and EU.
By whom? There are people doing their PhDs in their late 30s and 40s.
>>
>>10286702
I have applied to software dev jobs before and so far no luck. But I'm going to focus on those more going forward I think. One of the libraries I contributes to is PyTorch so I was actually hoping that my machine learning background (I have journal papers published related to ML algorithms too) would be a good fall back, but nope.

>>10286703
My degrees are all in Chemical Engineering. I have never tried to stay in my home city and apply everywhere (including abroad) but so far no luck.

I honestly just wish I got more feedback. If I'm lucky enough to get an email reply it's just a generic rejection letter they spam to every three weeks later. I've tried the route of calling and contacting people directly but they always just tell you to apply online/email.
>>
>>10286710
I thought you did some sort of software engineering since you had open source contributions. From my experience as a CS phd, the students from other fields who actually care about software are usually better than the majority of the students from my dept. because they actually care enough and are self driven. I know that doesn't help, but you sound like a quality engineer/scientist to me
>>
>>10286708
>>10286709
By my own friends and professors and also people I met at a conference last year (disappointingly I was hoping the professor at the conference would hire me, but his grant cycle was filled up a month before I met him in person). The argument is basically that in the best case scenario I finish at 28-29 then if I'm lucky I get a postdoc or 2 finishing this at 33-35. By this point I have still never earned good money. My fiance is my age as well and earns good money but not enough for us to raise kids on. So we will probably not be able to have kids if I try to stay in academia (if she doesn't leave me before then).

I agree with them, I have the choose between my career and having a family. I would choose family, but I can't find a normal industry job anyway. So I don't. I am really desperate for any kind of job at all. I'm looking at bank/finance adds too.
>>
>>10286732
Sounds to me like you should ditch academia. While it might work out, the worst case scenario is basically your entire life getting JUSTed. If you want it bad enough to risk that then sure, but I don't think it's worth it at all, especially considering how arbitrary it can be if you succeed or not.
>>
>>10286721
>I know that doesn't help, but you sound like a quality engineer/scientist to me

Thank you that means a lot to me, but yeah the moral supports really do not help anymore. The people I respect most in the world are leaders in their field, they've given me a lot of compliments and even called me a genius both in person and on paper in the LoRs. But none of that actually puts bread on the table.

I wish I could just go live as a hermit somewhere and do research all day. I don't know what I'm going to do this year. Even my temo contracts are gone. I'm just so fucked.
>>
>>10286738
Yeah I agree. I really have been trying hard to find industry work though. I'm honestly at the point of applying to McJobs but I probably won't even get those.
>>
>>10286750
Where in the world do you live?
>>
>late (22-24)
heh
>>
>>10286704
you sound like me except i still don't leave the house at 27
>>
>>10286752
US, I don't want to be more specific. Like i said I apply all over the world anyway. Not just SF area/NY either, I apply to small companies too if I find their ads.

I don't think it's possible to get a job doing this. I think my worst luck is that my network didn't pan out like it does for most people despite mine being relatively extensive. That bad luck destroyed my life basically.
>>
>>10286721
What are you currently working on as a CS phd and what was your undergrad? Here in australia there's barely any math in a CS bachelor/masters idk how are students supposed to get into phd with such a shallow math background
>>
>>10286732
>if she doesn't leave me before then
Why the fuck do you even have a fiancé at 23? My dude, it seems like you're a smart engineer but you're a moron at life. And it sounds like you aren't even sure your relationship with her will last. You're telling me you're willing to throw away your career for the possibility that you marry some chick you met in your early 20s? You're willing to hold back in your 20s (which should be your most productive years) so you can have some fucking kids by the time you're 26?

Work on your career now and have fucking kids in your mid 30s. If your fiancé doesn't like it she can fuck off. There's literally no reason here that you can't have your cake and eat it too, provided you don't think something as retarded as some girl you met in your early 20s is "the one."
>>
>>10286689
>>Told I am too old (26) to apply to PhD programmes twice now in USA and EU.
SHIT. Really? I would not think 26 is too old for a Ph.d. You meet lots of quasi-30 year olds doing Ph.ds lots of them foreign students. How many unis in EU have you applied to?
>>
>>10286769
>Why the fuck do you even have a fiancé at 23?
probably because "commit or i'm leaving you"
>>
File: neurons.jpg (1.29 MB, 2584x1936)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB JPG
>>10286766
I'm working on unconventional computing, focusing on neural tissue. Essentially we grow neural tissue in vitro from stem cells on electrode arrays and create a full duplex comms bridge via electrical stimuli. Instead of applying hebbian learning (aka electro shock therapy) we let the networks develop on their own, organizing into computationally capable networks. Currently I'm trying to harness this computation using the ML technique called reservoir computing. Taking my PhD at NTNU in norway, same place as I did my MsC

Pic related, microscope shot of a micro electrode array from google images. Ours look just like this, but I'm not on my work machine now
>>
File: sledgang.jpg (121 KB, 675x675)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>10286769
>Taking life advice from a senegalese free-diving forum
>>
>>10286769
Not him, but your career is just a fucking job. Don't tie your happiness to it. Having a woman who loves and supports you is far more conductive to happiness than your job will ever be.
>>
>>10286786
I never implied otherwise. I'd take family over career as well. All I'm arguing is that marrying someone you met in your early 20s is a bad fucking idea 95% of the time.
>>
>>10286786
but when he's 27 with a bitchin career he'll be able to get the pick of the litter on single mums!
>>
>>10286789
>All I'm arguing is that marrying someone you met in your early 20s is a bad fucking idea 95% of the time.
I will challenge that claim. When you are still in uni, you have the once in a lifetime chance to meet a really high IQ accomplished woman. Once you're out you are relegated to choosing between gold diggers, sluts with daddy issues and mentally ill hermit Tinder sluts.
>>
>>10286769
I'm 26 not 23. And she wouldn't leave, but I wouldn't stay if I'm just going to be a burden.
>>
>>10286795
You have it completely backwards. It's only once you're well-established in your 30s do you have the pick of the litter. You don't know what type of person you are (let alone who you would like to live with) in your early 20s. It's literally just raging hormones that manifest themselves in muh soul mate. Fucking get a grip you complete autists.
>>
>>10286786
I'm the OP of this chain. I would always pick my future wife over a job. The problem is I have no job at all. I need to find work so that we can survive but it's just growing more and more hopeless.

Also quick question, am I too old to join the military? I'm pretty fit. Alternatively maybe I can become electrician or something. I really don't know what to do this year.
>>
>>10286795
This is true for the most part. Most succesful married couples met in undergrad. Once you graduate it's extremely difficult to find a high quality woman who is single.
>>
>>10286801
Yes, but my point is, where are you going to meet those high IQ accomplished women once you're out of uni? Let me tell you: it's fucking impossible.
You are not wrong that people change a lot in their early 20s. But I'm talking about another issue that you need to consider. Once you are out of uni, your workplace becomes your primary mode of meeting new people, unless you are super lucky to have a huge social network through whatever else you do in life.
>>
>>10286802
No. You might want to consider some high IQ military position. You can be an officer but with your education they might make even better use of your skills.
Only thing to consider is that being away from your gf for too long will hurt the relationship.
>>
>>10286689
/g/ here
came to laugh at /sci/ as usual but got sad. honest to god I'd say if you're really in a pickle just give it a go. It's honestly a very nice rebound career and many people from failing industries turn towards cs. What field are you transitioning from, and what languages/software are you familiar with?
>>
>>10286813
This argument is completely nonsensical to me. Possibly neuter your entire academic potential simply because you MIGHT not find a partner in the future with a high IQ? Considering the divorce rates, I doubt the fact that my wife has a high IQ is going to mean that my marriage is stable. I'd much rather work on myself in my 20s and be open to marriage in the 30s (assuming I even want to get married). I guess it's always been about different priorities, I just think your and OPs priorities are grossly misplaced.
>>
>>10286804
I'm first year postgrad and all the women in my acquaintance are now in their first serious relationship and they are just (21-23). If you wait till you're 28, it's very unlikely that you will find them still available.
Women are acutely aware of their biology. They want some leeway so if they can, they will try to find a LTR early on even if they don't plan to have kids until their early 30s.
>>
>>10286825
A stable relationship is probably going to help rather than hinder you.
>>
>>10286776
that's beautiful anon. what sort of math do you recommend a math/cs undergrad should take to work on interesting stuffs like this?
>>
>>10286817
Yeah I was thinking of doing ROTC and then working in the engineering or chem brigades, hopefully getting a R&D position at some point.

I don't know if they really to take people as old as I am into the active then reserve force though.

I will be away from gf, but it might be the only way I get to keep her anyway.

>>10286824
Thank you for not kicking me while I'm already down. I would be extremely happy with any dev job desu, but I don't think employers like my cheme degree. I know Python and Cpp, but I only have library contributions in Python. I also know the markup languages for web design etc. and have my own website to demonstrate that.
>>
>>10286802
No. Since you have a degree you can commission as an officer via OTS. You can speak to a recruiter at your local station. When you get there specifically ask for the officer recruiter and don't bother with the enlisted route. Officers are paid, treated, and generally live better. In terms of occupation specialties... some give extra pay, some might be relevant to your skill set, its up to you.

Each branch has their pros and cons. do a lot of research on each of them. I'm biased towards Air Force personally; they have the best quality of life all things considered. Regardless of branch of you end up marrying your fiance the both of you can live outside of the barracks and move into your own home and the military will pay for it (up to a certain degree. Look up military pay calculators). That being said TALK TO YOUR FAMILY before considering the military route.

Also maybe consider the guard/reserves. If you end up actually finding a civie job you can reap in some military benefits/extra pay on the side.

protip: going off of what I posted earlier in >>10286824, the benefits of people from the service are underrated. we live in post-911 america of christ's sake. So take advantage of them to help you find a career; plenty of businesses have special programs or considerations for vets. https://www.google.com/about/careers/veterans/our-community.html

>>10286841
On the topic of your chem degree; sure, it might be somewhat of a black mark, but not for the reason you think. Generally there's this meme in the cs field that scientist are shit programmers, but if you can show you've made some tight contributions to a project or have a robust GitHub then fuck'em.

So, you have a lot of options here. Go full military. Go reserves/guard while pursuing a /g/ career. Or just go full /g/. These are just some ideas but I help they help man. Consider going to your old uni and scheduling an appointment with a career counselor.
>>
>>10286837
It's not too math heavy. Since it's a young field there is a lot of system programming and design that needs to be done. What has helped me the most is having a diverse skill-set and experience. What helped me most was two years in an independent student group competing in robotics, first as prog. lead and second year as leader. Not that it has anything to do with robotics, but it taught me to approach an unknown problem (none of us knew how the fuck to build an ROV when we started out) and learning to overcome. Secondly, a strong programming background is never wrong, and I've spent a lot of my own time learning more advanced techniques, an essential skill when building systems that havent been done 100 times before.

So the gist of it is, focus on design, programming skills and problem solving. I'm no slouch when it comes to mathematics, but this has been of secondary/tertiary importance
>>
>>10286848
Thank you very much. Great post.
>>
>>10286848
also something to add, since you already have experience with Python look towards machine learning/data science and try out the myriad of free online courses. Disregard meme shitlords, it is a hot and emerging field and having a scientific background I think is actually a plus in this case.

If you end up liking programming but not enough to go full time, then I'd say do it in tandem with military service. then do one or two terms (depending on how much you like military life) in an easy job that gives you a lot of free time to spend with your family and practice/applying programming. While you're in talk with the VA about free career counseling and finding a job that suits your skill set.
>>
>>10286852
To add to this, I don't think I would have made the cut in a field like deep learning where there is more competition. I'm more interested in pioneering work than improving existing technology. This means that I'm not very likely to produce anything that is useful to society on a short term basis, but it might be one day. On the flip-side, a less flattering description of "pioneer" is "unlikely to ever produce something useful", so take it with a grain of salt.
>>
>>10286852
>>10286858
well one could also say engineers are unlikely to ever do something innovative. Great post, seems like a foundation is math + cs is still very versatile.
>>
>>10286876
Yeah, just trying to emphasize I'm not trying to throw shade on others, just that I'm doing what I think is interesting. A lot of my day to day work is spent on getting shitty lab equipment and crashy embedded systems to work, as well as plumbing data etc. I think it's a fundamentally hard problem, thus my approach is to build a strong research platform for performing experiments. So it's a lot of engineering, but as far as I'm concerned poor engineering is what's holding us back in this area.
>>
>>10286670
Why is your age on your resume?
>>
>>10286583
28, 3rdish semester CS.
I like it and I think I will try to finish it.

I've already worked before but quickly the saw the damage a dead-end job does to your soul. I'd rather die than live for nothing.

Feeding yourself is our of the question in modern society so I don't feel the urge to rush into a monotonic dead-end job.

Honestly to what end would you chase money itself?
>>
>>10286997
a question:

generally speaking who would you rather remember:

a person you paid or a person you've been paid by (a person that paid you)
>>
>>10286689
>Nope 6 hour/week contract is still CV gap, application rejcted

What happens when you lie and tell them you lived in hippy commune.
>>
Unless you are well connected, you won't get anything out of a 4-year STEM degree. It is only a means to other educational ends and not an end itself. If you're lucky enough to find a job after graduating, most employers are only willing to pay 40k. Unless you plan on graduate school in some capacity (MD, PhD if funded, etc) , it's a massive mistake to go to college at any age. You would make more money working in a trade.
>>
>>10286583
Not related but I saw someone in a CompSci class who was around the age of 70.
Good on the old man though, I guess
>>
29, 2nd year med student. After finishing high school, I became an air traffic controller. Worked that job for 6 years, but I had to constantly move and all I could find were fixed-term and part-time positions around the country. As a full-time ATCO I would've made around 8k per month, but I was tired of having to constantly relocate myself. So far I'm enjoying med school, we'll see how I like the actual job once I graduate. Probably going into pathology.
>>
>>10286687
Literally how nigga?
>Be 30 when finishing major
>Too asocial to have made any connections in uni
>Apply to the first job that seems interesting
>Nobody else did
>Get job
>1 year later
>Got a brand new car, neat apartment, low work hours and I'm paid to.supervise people (even though I only appear to tell them they're doing a good job and keep at it)
How were you unable to do that with higher credentials?
>>
>>10286583
fun fact: Hitler is in this picture
>>
File: 1539812801044.gif (1.45 MB, 294x231)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB GIF
>>10286583
I dropped out after the first semester. I've got a job in the family's business and things are going great. Sometimes I pick up books or try to redo some stuff on khan academy so I don't forget, but I never really put my heart into it.
>>
>>10287100
Unless your father the fucking shop, you will be even worst as a tradesman. Don't fall for that Republican propaganda. Despite everything, the numbers clearly show that !!any!! college degree does pay for itself within a lifetime.
You do sometimes hear success stories from tradies who now own a shop, but most of those got super lucky or had their family in the business already. It's not typical.
Although I hate to admit it, the only good alternative to college is the military. That is the reason why nobody goes into trades. Because nobody wants to be treated like a disposable handkerchief that is dropped the moment the DOW index drops a couple of points.
>>
>>10286763
How good are you at algorithmic/whiteboard style interviews? there are websites like triplebyte which match you up with tech companies if you complete their exams. Also look into "profile collector" websites like Hired.com. I think you might be a good fit for them. Government positions definitely favor veterans.
>>
>>10286583
>>10286613
>>10286618
>>10286670
>>10286756
>>10286997
>>10288445
>>10288559

I know you won't believe this, but you don't need any degree nor a decent resume to get a job in programming. All you need is proof that you can program well.

It's like being an artist or designer, showing up with a resume, and expecting to get a job. You need a fucking portfolio with your work. They don't care about your past. You only need proof that you can work. And once you have a year or 2 at their company, that's enough credibility to move on elsewhere. Ignore the 2-3 years of experience barrier. It's nonsense. Trust me. Unless you are performing heart surgery, your experience should already be in your projects.

Again, despite what everyone says, you don't need schooling to get a job in most fields. You just need to go to the library or go on the internet and find the right resources. The reason no one will believe me is because these shit ass institutions have been whipping you poor guys since you were a kid.

As Alex Jones once said, break the conditioning. That's the only way to become a good programmer. That's the only way to become a good investor. And that's the only way to become wealthy.

Fine some value in what I've said.
>>
>>10288599
what's your story anon?
>>
>>10286583
>22-24
I started much later than that and I am finding it easy as fuck. Granted I'm at a shit uni but still.
Age definitely was an issue when I was 18, but thankfully it's not an issue anymore.
>>
>>10286791
Either that or bang 22-23 year olds
>>
>>10288723
16 is legal
>>
>>10288445
4 year degree does not pay for itself. That is based on old studies examining the lifetime earnings of boomers who had 1-2 jobs there entire lives. Of course such a calculus is going to yield favorable results.
You're a fucking idiot if you think a 4-year undergrad degree is going to make you better off. Guess what happened to me after college? I couldn't find a job, started to starve, had to settle for a 35k job, that I somehow was supposed to be grateful for. .

FUCK THAT.

College by itself is FUCKING WORTHLESS unless you have connections.

You want to go to grad school? Yes, sure definitely is worth it. IF not, it's a gamble and nothing more. Fortunately, I went back to med school, and am 10x better off, even with the debt I accumulated.
>>
File: ( Y O U ).png (13 KB, 161x214)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
>>10288445
>Don't fall for that Republican propaganda
>>
>>10286885
Går det å gå fra en bachelor i matematikk til å ta en master i kybernetikk eller cs rundt ai på ntnu? Onsker å ta en bachelor i matematikk og deretter jobbe med robotter el.
>>
>>10288962
>non engineers with no integrated work experience programs complaining their bachelors are useless
Lmao
>>
>>10289004
?
>>
Turning 22 this year going for a bach in either CS or engineerin(still cabt decide). 90% of my day is me debating whether im being memed by doing a stem degree or if i should just do something easy that makes decent money like accounting. I spend all day researching articles but in late stage america who really knows what will happen.
>>
File: despair.jpg (55 KB, 393x296)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>10288599
Yeah, a lot of companies don't require any degree, once I talked to one manager and he basically said to me "fuck credentials, if you can do the job, you're in". The thing is, how do I build a portifolio? Where do I start, assuming I'm already proficient in coding (which I'm not). I'm not getting any younger and I'm tired of working dead end tech support jobs.
>>
>>10289247
Finance a bootcamp. The reason why im going to school for cs even though people say u domt need a degree is to build fundamentals and have an overview of everything. If u self learn its like starting from one littl pixel and trying to populate the whole screen
>>
>>10289234
Nothing wrong with becoming a CA. Its reputable and there's always a need.

STEM is good if you have a genuine interest in one of the fields
>>
>>10289317
You're right, its reputable, but ill feel like my career will just be a means to make money, and not help humanity. The reason why i want to stusy stem is so i can actually gain insight into how tje world works and help advance our civilization even if it is just by a little. I finished my firat semester with As in chem math and writing and b+ in physics. I just hope i can gain enough brain ppwer to actively think about these things
>>
>>10289390
Calc 1 gen chem 1 wrt201 and phys 1 to be exact
>>
>>10286583
What, you on the GI bill or something?
Getting a degree later in life just makes you better prepared. You'll approach your classes with a more mature perspective and realize that you need to learn and do well while attaining your $200k piece of paper rather than party hard and scrape by. This is a shit thread, but there you go.
>>
>>10288599
People can fake projects, they don't mean anything without a degree. If you want to get hired easily you need a CS degree, if your too poor then go to community college if you have to.
>>
>>10288599
What programming language should i go for? Which gives better jobs/is easier/is usually wanted the most? Gonna start from 0 but being 20 with a good amount of free time is a good place to start I think.
>>
>Where are you now and how are you finding it so far?

Well, I finished high school in 2010 and since then I haven't been able to finish anything else. Started uni, dropped off, became a NEET, rinse and repeat, I also got a job for a while and took some short classes at an institute.

Anyway, in the end I decided to do something drastic and go to another country away from the comforts of my NEET cave, so far so good for my first week of community college.

> Was age ever an issue when it comes to learning?

As a 25 year old who already has fucked up many times. I feel that I am more mature and that I have learned from my past mistakes, which is why I am closing my laptop and going back to my math textbook, bye.
>>
>>10289258
There isn't a single bootcamp where you'll learn material anywhere near as in deptn as at an average state uni.
>>
I missed the ball hard on going to college when I was young. I went to community college for welding tech as I was naive as fuck at the time thinking I could apply my intelligence and after a few years realized I was dead wrong. I'm 26 in 2 months and plan on starting at the end of this year. I honestly have no real clue whatI want to do, I'm a little lost but I figured mechatronics and/or robotics might be a good future investment. I work at Boeing so I can get my schooling fully paid for which is nice.

Some of that is besides the point, but I'll say that as I prepare for college learning hasn't been any different for me now than it was when I was younger. Your state of mind and general mental health is probably the most important factor
>>
I'm 27, finished a worthless degree in 2014 in political science. Spent the last 5 years working my way to an accountant position in healthcare companies (did AP and AR work, work exclusively in cash and revenue now). Over that time i spent nights and weekends getting a biology degree, got a 3.5 all while working full time and advancing. Just got into dental school last month.
School was infinitely easier the second time around, even with much more responsibility. Once you see how dogshit the pay and lifestyle of most jobs are it is enough to drive you to compete to get the fuck out.
>>
>>10289670
This. Seeing the mundanity and lack of prospects in the real world for long enough will make anyone enthused in higher education with prospects
>>
>>10288599
you're right but that only applies to programming and dev work though. If a swe doesn't have comprehensive knowledge of math he'll be limiting his choices of what he can do
>>
>>10289234
https://blogs.ams.org/matheducation/2015/01/01/you-can-do-anything-with-a-math-degree/

Anything related to math is good
>>
>>10289511
Programming languages are just like bikes, focus on learning the logic behind algorithms.

freecodecamp.org is a good place to start and gives you a very solid foundation
>>
27 and halfway through a math degree. I'm just going to have to rely on connections I guess. I'm pretty personable I'm told.
>>
>>10289556
read the article in >>10289931

dont do mechatronics or robotics they're multidisciplinary fields and shouldn't be a degree in itself. If you can't decide the best way is always to learn high level math and branch out after
>>
>>10286583
started at 22 in a biological field.
I know unemployment is my future but god have mercy
>>
>>10286704
Why are you becoming a tranny?
>>
>>10286769
>Work on your career now and have fucking kids in your mid 30s
I don't think you guys know this but when men have kids late it can result in mutations. For women it's chromosome disorders but for men it's mutations
>>
>>10289258
>>10289549
I'm studying math right now and I will be able to take some CS or EE courses. Should I go this route and take programming related courses?
>>
>>10286776
I'm an applied math undergrad right now and this is the sort of thing I'd love to do
>>
>>10290668
>>10286776
based CS and math majors taking our jobs.
Biology will always be cucked
>>
Currently 24 and I'm in my junior year of engineering at Purdue. I have a 3.9 GPA. If anything the age difference has made me work harder because I know what kind of shitty jobs I would have to deal with if I were to do poorly in school or drop out, and I have better control over myself and my mind... lots of younger people these days have serious mental issues and poor lifestyles. Learning was never a problem for me and all I did was play video games from ages 18 to 20 (started reading philosophy and turning my life around at about 21).
>>
>>10286625
>Like undergrad there are some older students but not much. But in postgrad you meet a lot of students who are not "on schedule", many nearly the 30s or even past 30.
I did a PhD and there is a lot of work. Most of us had to pull all nighters on a regular basis and stil get up next morning. Not sure that is something you want to do if you are 35+, and certainly not if you are married.
>>
>>10286701
>bus
Oof. Just got real.
>>
>>10286687
>>10286689
Nice larp
>>
>>10286795
Please explain to me the mechanism which prevents gold diggers and sluts from having high IQ and/or being enrolled in uni. Additionally explain to me how someone can be considered accomplished when they are an undergrad at 18-22.
>>
Deep State is Real
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLTzpDFGWjI
>>
>>10286804
>Most succesful married couples met in undergrad.
Post some data or go back to being an ideologue retard
>>
I graduated with a BSc Biology at 27. After that I finished a post-bac BSc Physics at 28. I got accepted at every grad school I applied to. My bio GPA was average with a 3.2 but my phys GPA was 3.6. I also held a 3.9 during the last four semesters of school. My GRE was 99%ile and even though I graduated late I was in the military for five years so I didn't have a "gap" in anything. Grades and test score is ultimately the most important aspects for PhD programs besides the obvious "why do you want to pursue this particular field of study?". Noone mentioned age as a factor. I'm married too with a daughter. We live in a two-bed apartment but even if I had the $$$, there is no way I'm living in the suburbs as I grew up there and the commute everyday is God awful.
>>
>>10286583
I am 29 (almost 30), currently in my first year of my first degree, studying Genetics.

I have learning difficulties, but am medicated, so mostly doing alright so far.

The age gap can be a bit odd at times, though...
>>
Boomer thread with married guys with kids
>>
I found out that OP's pic was more interesting than his (off)topic.
>>
>>10286689
Maybe apply to Canadian Universities? UVic and UBC are great universities from my experience and have decent engineering programs (don't know about EE though). Stay strong.
>>
>>10286583
Dropped out @ 13
Started college @ 20

Just graduated at 26. Got some criticism for how long it took me, but my view always was that I had luck for being in college in the first place and that the only thing that mattered was finishing.

Now I start a post bac position in a federal facility and planning to apply to professional school. Money was a huge struggle for me and I wanted to drop out all the time. But I'm happy for what I've been able to achieve against circumstances.
>>
>>10292116
I've seen people say that if they could, they would go back in time and finish college in 6 years instead of the standard 4-5 years.
>>
>>10289997
yes
>>
>>10291253
Designing and developing weapons always will get you paid in this world
>>
>>10286583
Heya, I'm 21 and just started studying Mechatronics Engineering, can I get in on this thread?
>>
>>10286583
I'm 27 and I'm a junior. I dropped out at 22 because of bad OCD, but am a lot better now. I'm going to try to get into grad school after I finish
>>
>>10286583
>Late (22-24)

Jesus Christ I'm nearly 30 and still haven't started college yet, friend of mine is 26 and in his first year doing his A-levels.

We're both /fit/ as fuck though so I'm not too worried anymore, I felt out of place when I was young and awkward and it's taken me this long to build up my confidence.
>>
>26
>top of class all through school, graduate B.Sc at 21
>take another gap year
>meet a woman and finally PIV, 4 years spent overseas TA´ing and working on own self funded projects/education

I´m 26 now and in a full time M.Sc in Theoretical neuroscience/artificial general intelligence

Fuck my brain has slowed down, and I´m so fucking old it hurts.

Don´t take a fucking break....ever, its a fucking meme,

I will try and P.hd in quantum computational cognitive neuroscience/ theoretical computational cognitive neuroscience, but I will be 27 by the time I start....

I feel like I have failed, and wasted my life, I see 23 year olds already with P´hds, some fags on my Msc already have masters and phds.

If I accepted the year skip, and didn´t take the first gap year, then the 4 after undergrad I could have graduated at 19...then msc to 20, then phd at 23....fucking shit fuck

>tfw There are no more barriers to cross. All I have in common with the uncontrollable and the insane, the vicious and the evil, all the mayhem I have caused and my utter indifference toward it I have now surpassed. My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone, in fact I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape, but even after admitting this there is no catharsis, my punishment continues to elude me and I gain no deeper knowledge of myself; no new knowledge can be extracted from my telling. This confession has meant nothing.
>>
>>10286583
28 and only getting my bachelor in chem now. I had to take 3 years off after highschool and a couple years of community college after I got a brain tumor. I'm doing well. I have a 3.8 GPA and feel I have a bit more maturity, I guess, towards my studies.
>>
22 and taking the sophomore year in mathematics. Did a BSc in Natural Sciences and it was pretty shit, but I liked the math so I went for that. Age is definitely not an issue; I've found it's even an advantage in terms of (mental and personal) maturity. Aced my freshman year and I'm thinking of advancing a senior-level course in group and ring theory since I'm definitely researching in algebra.

>>10286625 is definitely true to some extent. There are tons of old people (30+) in my department's PhD program.
>>
>>10294365
What a load of shit. You also see 18 and 19 year olds with PhDs, that doesnt mean shit. Life experience counts more than you think.
Further, they should make it illegal to take PhD before you are 30.
>>
>>10293321
I want to develop tanks and shit what do???
>>
File: 1534926408309.jpg (40 KB, 432x960)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
Im 24, been at community college for 3 years for an engineering science degree, about to transfer next semester and got straight As. I feel like we are at a good age. Old enough to be responsible, young enough to have the energy to satisfy our interests!
>>
>>10286670
>age
>on resume

What?
>>
>>10288962
Bachelor har lite å si, men du burde kunne programmere. Du må nok ha en del ganske kjipe emner som er obligatoriske, men du kan alltids bare ta mange emner på ett semester og bli ferdig med dritt-emnene. Eksempler på drittfag er programvare-utvikling og MMI.
>>
>>10286833
Not the guy you're talking to, but I both agree with you and disagree. A stable relationship is indeed important, but the other guy is right, you two people are way over romanticizing having a stable relationship. Having a stable career is by all measures more beneficial

Don't want to attack you or anything, but because you said you're worried about not being able to meet "high IQ" women outside of university, it's clear to me you've never or very rarely date people. You can meet lots of people doing even the most mundane of activities by just talking to them, and you'd be surprised a how often you connect to others in some level.

>t. 27 yr old 1st year PhD student, single and very happy
>>
Im 27 and will graduate my 4 year mechatr. bachelors this spring.. feels weird but there are other guys my age so im not worried

Hoping for robotics masters
>>
>>10297833
I 2nd this
U need a stable life for stable waifu
>>
thanks for the replies, been reading this thread over and over again every day and have found solace knowing that there are people out there in similar situations

The feeling that you're years behind your peers is too great to shake off but I guess the longer you wait the worse it'll be
>>
>>10286583
On my last year in my master for applied mechanics. Started at 22. Age has never been an issue for learning, as matter of fact I think I have done better than many of the younger students in my class. Maybe because of being more mature and serious about my studies.

I dont regret it but it has been hard. But then again I guess it is for everyone.

-Long term relationship fell apart partly due to me putting all focus on studies. Would maybe have happend anyway but STEM did not help.

- For a while had a lot of anxiety and stress. This has been better by just getting used to the pace and being a better student, exercise and meditiation has also helped me but it sometimes still happen.

- Dont feel like I have time to make friends. This could also have more to do with the fact that I switched programs once so always studied with courses with different year classes (this could also be my fault though for being a little introverted)

Still though, I will hopefully have an interesting and wellpaying job when im done. Also even if my studies has been hard they have most of the time also been pretty interesting and I have improved things such as my analytical skills and am better at getting shit done in general.
>>
>>10286841
You're smart enough to get a STEM degree with a good GPA but not smart enough to Google your nation's military requirements?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.