[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Coilgun_animation.gif (56 KB, 600x300)
56 KB
56 KB GIF
>Be me
>2nd year EE student
>Doesn't how coil guns work
Someone explain it to me before I anhero myself
>>
>>10196057
Do you know how a solenoid works
>>
>>10196057
electromagnets
>>
>>10196057
A charge is stored in a capacitor bank. Some high power switch dumps all the power from the capacitors into the electromagnetic coil pulling the metal projectile towards the center of the coil. In a well tuned coilgun, by the time the projectile reaches the center of the coil it has run out of energy so the projectile keeps moving forwards using momentum.
The picture you used shows a multistage coilgun which basically uses some sort of switching mechanism to do the same thing again when the projectile is in the right spot.
>>
>>10196058
Yes - a current in a solenoid creates a magnetic field due to amperes law - I just don't know why the bullet is pulled to the center of the coil
>>
>>10196064
Right but why does the bullet go towards the center of the coil
>>
>>10196065
A magnetic field in the direction of the chamber, which propels the projectile through the chamber. Right hand rule a solenoid coil and the direction your thumb is pointing is the magnetic field. If you're asking why a magnetic field has an effect on the projectile itself well I can't answer that, something something fundamental properties of magnets
>>
>>10196068
I think the basic explanation is that the magnetic field induces current to flow through the projectile because of mutual inductance. That current flow turns the projectile into another magnet which is attracted towards the field of the electromagnet. It goes to the center, because that is where the field is the strongest.
>>
>>10196069

Hogwash - There has to be an explanation aside from

>Magnets do be that way sometimes
>>
>>10196070
Ok that makes more sense so then the current would be flowing in the bullet cylindrically?
>>
you really want your mind blown look up how a railgun works
>>
>>10196074
I think so. That is sort of my half ass explanation.
I found some websites that might be helpful.
http://www.doityourselfgadgets.com/p/coilgun-knowledgebase.html
https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/8745/how-does-a-coilgun-work
You probably have more 'official' electrical qualifications then I do. I was just super into this stuff when I was a kid.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.