[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/qst/ - Quests

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
Draw Width Height
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).
  • There are 22 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: Cover of Quest.png (2.14 MB, 2100x1500)
2.14 MB
2.14 MB PNG
[{Artist's preamble: So I've been wanting to make a Harvest Moon-esque game for a while now, though turns out learning the coding and rigging of a game will take years which sucks for me. So I decided to just do it as a forum adventure. I was just recently suggested this place by my brother so I may be a bit off with structure, so I apologize. The story here is loosey goosey and kinda follows the same trend of Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley. Don't worry though, because you are only limited by basic logic and physics in this run. Thanks for joining!}]

https://imgur.com/gallery/HFAJ1eh

You have hitched a ride with a merchant to be taken to your newly purchased farmland. Along the road a heavy rain forced you both you and the merchant into cloaks. He tries to make grumbly small talk,

"Been a while since I’ve taken anyone to Cape Point... you said you bought some land? Hope you don’t regret that.
It’s been a hard many years... But I suppose some new blood is just what that town needs.

"Oh I know you told me earlier but I have to ask-"

"Are you a GIRL or a BOY?"
>>
>>3650113
Boy.
Can you draw?
>>
>>3650113
Girl.

Welcome to /qst/. You can use a space in the name field, no need for the underscore (unless you want it). Also, use a trip to confirm your identity like so:

Name ##password
(replace password with your unique word/phrase/etc to generate a tripcode)

Also, make sure to read the pinned post. The guides in the /qtg/ may also be helpful.
>>
>>3650113
Boy
>>
>>3650134

[{ Is this like the password? (sorry I'm new to 4chan as well) Is it possible to upload multiple images in a single post? }]
>>
>>3650113
Girl
>>
>>3650124

[{ Yup! I have more linked but I was just told that's a no-no :/ }]
>>
>>3650154
you got it my dude
>>
>>3650154
It's a permanent and unique identifier of you being you, allowing no anonymous people to claim your identity on 4chan.

No, that requires multiple posts. 1 Image per post.
>>
>>3650113
Boy.
Good Luck OP. Try to not get struck by the QM curse.
>>
>>3650154
Looks good to me, and nope. You're going to want one picture per update both because that's the max per post and because it speeds things up. Consistency and rapidity beats quality and quantity in terms of quests here.

If you do have more than one like you do here, it might be better to put them in individual posts rather than link them. Hardly anyone clicks links.
>>
Boy
>>
>>3650113
let's go with a boy

and nice!, we start with a rainy day, shame we don't have any crops growing to be auto watered
>>
File: post #2-01.png (2.74 MB, 1267x3632)
2.74 MB
2.74 MB PNG
You rip off your hood and respond, "I'm a guy. How the hell did you miss that?"

"Could have fooled me" the merchant responded.

You finally arrive at a homestead with walls. It's small but far nicer than any regular home. A woman is standng at the gateway, seemingly for you.

You jump out of the cart and approach the woman. She extends her hand and introduces herself.

"Good morning! You must be the new tenant. I am Millie Laird, the landlord here, for the moment being. Welcome to Cape point, the small hold by the sea. We've all fallen of rough times but I'm glad to get some land profitable again. What is your name? "
>>
>>3650859
Kent
>>
>Clarkson
Or
>Johnson Seaha
>>
Hold up are we an elf? Magic is cool.
>>
>>3650883
that's probably why he couldn't tell if we were a boy or a girl kek
>>
File: 1558474341149.jpg (178 KB, 670x1192)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
>>3650887
The nerve!
>>
>>3650859
>Kent
>>
>>3650859
Kenton Quigley, or just Kent for short.
>>
File: post #3-01.png (1.97 MB, 1267x3224)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB PNG
[{ Kent has been chosen 3 times. Someone put down Kent Clark but deleted it. I would have chosen that kek }]

You introduce yourself. "I'm Kenton Quigley, or just Kent for short." Yep you're just an average elf that doesn't know how to do magic. That takes some serious brains. But to be a mage you'd have to go to sChOoL and screw that. Still sometimes you with a fairy would wake you up one day and tell you you have godlike powers over the universe with no effort. But then again... who doesn't? Still, a good life is beginning here.

You shake hands with Millie Laird.

Millie seems to be judging your name. "Quigley... that's uuhhh a unique name." You're somewhat offended. The Quigley family is a strong family with a long line of absolute nobodies and surfs! She could at least show some respect to such an honorable name. But, you set aside your minor indignation for now. "Well then Kent, I'll show you where your house is." Millie gestures for you to follow her down the path.

You return your hood to cover your head and start the journey to your farmland. Not too far along Millie turns and asks you "So Kent... What made you want to buy land all the way out here on the edge of the world?" She says it in a casual, self-deprecating way. This is her lands after all. What's the story?
>>
>>3651739

Our father died and left us some inheritance, we don't have good memories of our hometown and decided to start over somewhere
>>
>>3651739
I'm made a few poor choices in my past that made the edge of the world my old option. As for family, I'm there out their not that they'd talk to me.
>>
>>3651739
My father was a journeyman smith when I was young, he'd brought me around these parts because he fell in love with the country and people here... When he died, I figured that if I settle down anywhere, it should be here.
>>
>>3651854
(Can we do other trades or just ranch/farm? Starting a smithy with dads techniques would be cool. I hope the 'edge of the world's is a bit dangerous too.)
>>
>>3651865
[{ There is nothing limiting you from trying, although you will get some fierce competition from the current smithy already present. That doesn't mean those types of skills couldn't be incorporated into your farm.}]
>>
>>3651767
Support.
>>
>>3651854
good for me to try, but I rather farm at the start
>>
>>3651767
Support this one.
>>
File: post #4-01.png (2.97 MB, 1267x4534)
2.97 MB
2.97 MB PNG
> Our father died and left us some inheritance, we don't have good memories of our hometown and decided to start over somewhere

It was a simple story, but you tell it with a fond, wistful look. Millie listens. "Well...," you begin.

"My dad was a smith. He did well for himself, and we didn't have to worry about food. He was a hardass, though, as hard as the iron he worked with. Would always go on about 'a man should rely on only his hands and his back! Anyone who can't make his life is his own fault." That man had one hell of a work ethic. Well, one day that works ethic made his body give out. He left a good inheritance, and there was simply a ghost in my hometown. I remember my father talking about this place, though I was very young. I figured I would try this place as any...
"Besides, the land was cheap."

Millie had listened very attentively as if she actually cared for the story. You didn't mean to spill your life story, but the rain was making you sentimental. Millie grew distant for a moment, getting lost in a memory it seemed.
"My father died too, just a couple years ago, I understand wanting to run from that. That's pretty brave just moving, it seems so scary," she trails off, then suddenly catches a subtle meaning. "Oh, I didn't mean to put you off from the land! I'm just babbling, ignore me. I'm sure you'll feel at home in no time."

"Oh! We're here!" Millie exclaims. You turn a short bend into open land and come upon a small, rustic-

-pile of trash! This house is only being held together by the hopes and prayers of your now heavy hole in your purse. "Here we are!" Millie presents the 'house'. "Might be a bit of a fixer-upper but a little paint here, a house plant there and it should feel as cozy as a lamb."
>>
>>3651739
I was captured and enslaved when a horde of bandits raided my hometown. I was sold off to a wealthy Baron who happened to have a particularly ambitious brother who attacked my former master with a group of mercenaries. Needless to say i grabbed anything valuable i could in the chaos and slipped away as soon as possible. I resolved myself to getting as far away as possible is quick as i could, which unfortunately meant i could not go back to my hometown to see what happened to the rest of my family. So here i am trying to make my life anew in the boondocks, and hopefully i could reunite with my family some day.
>>
>>3653505

[{ Dang that's a goodie, but I posted too fast :( perhaps I'll add a nod to this at some point. }]
>>
>>3653522
Yeah i probably brainstormed too long for that one

>>3653482
Check out the surrounding farmland to make sure the soil is good.
>>
>>3653542
support
>>
>>3653522
We could just make that the real story, and what we told her was a cover.
>>
>>3653542
[{ that's not a bad thing, I like the more detailed and unique inputs. Dont worry there will be plenty more chances to add backstory }]
>>
>>3653482
Check out the surrounding area to see if we can make a thatched roof out of anything
>>
>>3653561
>>3653561
[{ Or what we said was a half-truth. Just "leave the rough parts out". Perhaps this past will catch up with us... }]
>>
>>3653591
Whatever you go with is cool with me.
Did we bring anything useful when we moved here?
>>
How much money did dad leave? How new are you to 4chan and quests?
>>
>>3653482
>Check the inside to make sure we have a dry place to sleep in tonight.

Hey QM, you might want to give us a few prompts like at the beginning since quest with write-ins often have a hard time taking off since the people aren't invested enough yet.
Also, how management heavy will this quest be?
>>
>>3653973
[{ very to both. I read Prequel: Making a cat cry, and used to make some mspaint adventures in the heyday of the fan forums. About 5 years ago. Fuck homestuck. Is there perhaps something here I could read to better study a method? Maybe a classic quest? }]
>>
>>3654491
For what it's worth, the multi-panel+ text post for longer descriptions looks really good. Most other drawquests have fewer panels or lack descriptive text/thoughts.

If I had to say, what you're lacking is in the choices department. But that's an entire can of worms that basically boils down to: if you're convinced that promptless is better, trying to convince you otherwise is detrimental to getting the quest done right now.
>>
>>3654491
Just make sure every choice counts. The last update seems to have few options, not clear what kind of response to give it.
No suggested reading material. Check out one other quest to see how they do it. Good luck. You looked into rpg maker for a HM style game?
>>
>>3654498
[{ I suppose what I was looking for was a reaction but I think you're right, the audience is not quite invested enough yet. I should have put in the next part in which Millie gives us the map of the town and it opens up. But I think I'm being too subtle and open, for fear of being restrictive. I think I need a very clear problem that requires human interaction to solve. I have good ideas but they might not be best for this medium. I appreciate the feedback and problem solving!

As for an rpg maker, I have looked into it a little but was very picky about the aesthetic. I'm pretty sure I could change it but I was very overwhelmed at the start. I'm still in college so I think I may put it off until some over work in progress projects get more finished. }]
>>
>>3654677
>rpg maker
You're already playing it. It's here, on /qst/. On the /qst/ thread you're playing in:
>>3650113
>>
>>3650909
This is perfect lol
>>
>>3654677
Are you still making the story OP? I'd like to know the rough time of day, patch the roof as best as possible with either thatch or wood shingles. I would like to interact with villagers and ask for help or in the least advice.
>>
>>3657637
[{ I am, just taking a little more time. The next update with be in about 9 hours from now.}]
>>
File: post 5 #1.png (1.03 MB, 891x1900)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB PNG
[{ Sorry for the long wait, I'm spending a bit more quality time}]

>Check out the surrounding farmland to make sure the soil is good.

After you shake off your disgust, you walk a small ways off into the grass. Bending down and taking a handful of soil, you scrutinize the quality. The soil is deep dark brown, mushy from the rain but still pretty loose. This is very good. Millie chimes in after a moment and elaborates, "The soil is really what you're paying for here. It has had a 2-year rest since no one has worked the land. I've tried to get the Greenfields to at least do upkeep. They live a few miles southeast of here."
You are somewhat eased of the feeling of getting ripped off. Atucally the awful rain is somewhat of a blessing. You can see there are next to no flooding spots in the surrounding lands. It almost makes you seem to wonder, what made the previous tenants leave.

Millie approaches you, digging something out of her pockets from under her skirts. "Sorry, but I have to leave you now. I can't leave my nephew unattended for too long back at the hold. Here is your deed, here is a map, and here is a bat. It's in case you can't get indoors before nightfall."
You jumble with all the items for a moment before your brows drop, process what she just said. "Wait, why shouldn't I be out after night?" Millie waffles a half-ass response, "Oh we've had some dark spirits troubling us for a couple of years now. It's common among the other holds but we haven't received aid. Don't worry, if your inside you're safe! Now I'm sorry I must go! Bye!" She scurries off back up the road. As yes, no pressure, just sell me a useless house!

>Did we bring anything useful when we moved here?
>How much money did dad leave?
Sadly you came with nothing much else than the clothes on your back. You only have 50 silver left after the purchase. Enough to get a few essentials and food for a week or so, but not much more. Luckily, you remembered noticing a toolshed on the walk down. Looking inside you see an old rusted ax, a rusted spade, and a dented watering can.
>>
File: post 5 #2.png (1.12 MB, 891x1912)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB PNG
>Check out the surrounding area to see if we can make a thatched roof out of anything
You start to take in the surrounding area. It seems the farmland is about 10 acers of maintained grass. Something has been eating it. Not too far off is the remaining foundations of a barn? Whatever it was, there seems to bit just a bit of wood that could be reclaimed. Shame, you'll have to build a new barn from scratch. Off the edge of the property to the south begins the massive forest. It's dark, and need of underbrush burning, but there are a bunch of pines. You think you could layer some branches over the hole to waterproof the house temporarily. You sigh heavily, overwhelmed. If it wasn't bad enough that you bought a subpar accommodation, you're on a time limit. No wonder this place sat empty for two years.
As of looking at roughly, the sun showed the brightest past the clouds, you believe it was mid-morning. You slept on the cart earlier until it started raining.

>Check the inside to make sure we have a dry place to sleep in tonight.
Just to see the extent of the damage a holey roof has caused, you check inside.

Inside are two beds, one large and one for about a child. A table is knocked on its side, and what remains of a set dinner. There is an open, empty trunk at the back with the lock broken. Oh dear. Grass is sprouting through the floorboards and half the house is wet and smells of wood rot. Gods...
>>
File: post 5 #3.png (262 KB, 891x637)
262 KB
262 KB PNG
>I would like to interact with villagers and ask for help or in the least advice.
You pull out the map Millie gave you. Maybe someone could lend a hand.
>>
>>3660021
go around town ask for help fixing our house, explain we are will to trade our labor and time for assistance
>>
>>3660021
Lets speak with the Fishermen at the fishers hut first, well probably need their fish for fertilizer later on too.
>>
>>3660176
Let's do this first, maybe he can tell us what people need at the city.
>>
>>3660021
Clean up the room as best you can. Make a note of the most urgent items and tasks needed.
>>
File: post #6-01.png (1.82 MB, 1267x3632)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB PNG
> Lets speak with the Fishermen at the fishers hut first, well probably need their fish for fertilizer later on too.
> Let's do this first, maybe he can tell us what people need at the city.
You did feel like starting on the mess yet without some help. The closest place seems to be the Fisher man's hut. You make your way down the road. Hmm, you don't see a boat on the dock.

There is an open window and you become curious. The fisherman might be away, considering you saw no boat. You peak in. Homey. But no one is home.

You see someone on the beach, it looks like... oh no

You race past the hut to the figure on the beach. It' is a Piscis! You check him, he is breathing but just barely. A harpoon juts out of his shoulder. Lucky... But he needs help or he is going to die? What do you do?
>>
>>3662610
>We have to help him use our cloak to staunch the blood loss and move him to the shack on the beach. lets hope it has some medical supplies or at least a sewing kit
>>
File: post #7-01-01.png (622 KB, 1267x1810)
622 KB
622 KB PNG
>We have to help him use our cloak to staunch the blood loss and move him to the shack on the beach. Let's hope it has some medical supplies or at least a sewing kit
You remove your cloak to stanch the bleeding. Considering the wound, it is not as bad as you would expect. In his state you can't lift him, instead, you drag him along the shore. Sorry man.

Shit it's locked!
>>
>>3662891
Can we kick down the door?. How expensive are glass windows, and could the owner reasonably be able to replace one if we smash it open?
>>
>>3662891
Does the harpoon look similar to the harpoons in the shack? Maybe he was skewered for a reason.
>>
>>3662891
Try a window. If locked, smash it.
>>
>>3662891
Break the door down
>>
File: post #8.01-01.png (750 KB, 1267x2695)
750 KB
750 KB PNG
>Break the door down
You're a fit farmer, so you try to throw your weight against the door.

#029.5
Ow.

>Try a window. If locked, smash it.
No time to test it, you think, the man- er- fish-man is dying! You grab one of the nearby rocks and gear up to smash it.
>How expensive are glass windows, and could the owner reasonably be able to replace one if we smash it open?
Probably not. Even in a fishing hut, glass is a nicer commodity. You really don't have the money for it, but it will be worth it to save a life! Or you simply get out of there before he returns.
*Smash!*
You climb in, avoiding the glass and open the door from the other side. You set the Fishman inside and begin searching the home for some sort of sewing kit.

[1/2]
>>
File: post #8.02-01.png (1.22 MB, 1267x2695)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB PNG
The hut is small, and not much in it. There are baskets and alcohol and harpoons. The chest obscured from the front by the counter is locked with thick iron. The baskets are empty, meant to catch fish or crabs. You notice shelves behind the counter and see.

There are a fishing line and a fishing hook in an unsecured tacklebox along with his cooking supplies. Maybe you could use-

>Does the harpoon look similar to the harpoons in the shack? Maybe he was skewered for a reason.
This thought passes through your head. You kinda theorized that this may have been the fisherman, mostly in hopes to not have to pay for the window, but why would the fisherman skewer himself with his own harpoons?
>[Maybe we shouldn't help him, maybe he is dangerous and should die?]
>[No! A life is a life and I won't leave someone helpless]
[2/2]
>>
>>3665832
>>
>>3665832

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.