[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/qst/ - Quests

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
Draw Width Height
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).
  • There are 95 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

File: 1552578613729.png (649 KB, 1000x498)
649 KB
649 KB PNG
This is a thread created for discussing anything and everything related to worldbuilding in quests. From putting forward new setting ideas, to asking for advice with fleshing out your world, to opinions on already established settings, all discussion is welcome. Try to keep shitposting to a minimum, if you please.

>A quick question, to kick things off

Wild West monster hunting quest, yay or nay? Was reading the old Black Hat threads on suptg, and thought that a quest where you hunt monsters (Possibly as part of a monster hunting organization of some variety) in the Wild West might be fun.
>>
>>3347784
I briefly considered something similar. I think it could work, provided you had both private, government, and independents who may have different ideas on how to handle a mark. It would be an interesting interplay of company policies. I also think it would be interesting and if each side had its own clear pros and cons. Probably having to do with preparation and costs. But even the government work could probably have some interesting perks that you can't get anywhere else.
>>
>>>/tg/65061367

How very redundant
>>
>>3347791
yeah, desu that's what I was thinking when someone brought up making a worldbuilding thread for quest in the /qtg/.
>>
File: unknown.png (718 KB, 800x533)
718 KB
718 KB PNG
>>3347784
OP image I was working on. Maybe you can use it for a future quest.
>>3347791
That thread exists, but good luck discussing quests on /tg/.
>>
>>3347791
>>3347796
Eh, don't see any reason not to do one here. This would be worldbuilding discussion centered around quests, that's discussion centered around worldbuilding for tabletops and the like. Besides, it provides people that want help developing their quest's world with an avenue for advice without having to go to an entirely different board.

>>3347789
The interactions between different private, government, and independent organizations would be interesting, yeah. Could interact with similar such organizations from other countries or continents, as well. Would be rare, but encountering one if the players decide to pursue a particularly dangerous monster across borders, or encounter agents of other organizations doing the same would certainly seem possible.
>>
>>3347802
>future quest
Thread. I meant thread.
And this is a first draft
>>
>>3347791
Not really, considering /tg/s "questfags in bodybags" mentality.
>>
>>3347802
>but good luck discussing quests on /tg/.
You don't have to mention your setting is for a quest. World building settings is all mostly the same.
>>
>>3347813
>>3347812
>>
>>3347813
Thanks wannabe janitor.
Anyone want to actually discuss worldbuilding now?
>>
How expansive do you want in a cyberpunk setting preferably earth. Most of the cyberpunk world takes place in a sci-fi space setting. So I kinda want to know how big it would be on a land base area.
>>
What quests have interesting worldbuilding? What makes them interesting?
>>
>>3347816
I prefer cyberpunk when it's smaller in scale. Are you thinking about a open world quest?
>>
>>3347784
>Wild West monster hunting quest, yay or nay?
Strong yay. We need more wild west quests in general.
>>
>>3347818
I really liked Ouro's Lamplighter Quest world. It had a really good, I don't know, atmosphere I guess? It was like you could feel the light in the world guttering out as we traversed the place, with relics of better, bygone ages, reminders of a near forgotten, brighter history, and seemingly constantly encroaching darkness. Sorta reminded me of Dark Souls.
>>
>>3347816
Being able to travel kinda takes the "punk" out of cyberpunk, unless the entire world is fucked. That's reaching into grimdark territory which, though I don't like it, there are plenty of people here who seem to enjoy that.

Personally, I would want cyberpunk to take place in a neighborhood at the smallest, and maybe a tri-city area at the largest.
>>
>>3347834
I agree. I've seen a few crop up here and there, but I've always dropped them after CharGen due to an unfavorable MC resulting.
>>
>>3347816
When it's cyberpunk, I'd agree with >>3347825
and say I prefer it smaller scale. Don't mind allusions to a larger world, or the occasional interactions with someone from outside, but a city sized sandbox to play in usually feels like more then enough space. That might just be personal preference though, and if the quest goes on for a lot of threads then other cities might be necessary.
>>
So what's your favorite fictional world /qwg/?
>>
File: IMG_0531.jpg (83 KB, 660x468)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>3347857
Can't decide, so here's one. Even if the rate at which it's traversed makes zero sense.
>>
>>3347857
On the map? Probably either Middle Earth (The outlier books are a bit dry for some readers, but I enjoyed them) or Hyrule (Depends on which iteration). In general? Hmmmm. Discworld maybe?
>>
>>3347857
>dinotopia

fucking lost it
>>
>>3347861
>>3347861
I want to run an open world avatarverse quest. Where we never meet the avatar and just wander the world. Yay or nay?
>>
>>3347865
In general.
>>
I feel like I have a deep flushed out world but looking through my threads I see that im not really able to get any of that out there to the player. I dont want to lore dump but im not sure how to make it seamless either.
>>
>>3347877
Not my cup of tea, but I don't enjoy fanfic in general, so take my bit as a grain of salt.
>>
>>3347877
Yay. Sounds fun. Will we be a bender or not?
>>3347861
I wish they did more with the special benders. Blood, lightning, sand, metal etc.
>>
>>3347877
Could be fun. Was never terribly into Avatar, but I wouldn't pass up a quest where we got to learn about the setting without getting involved in the main story. When would it be set? During the original series, before, after? Would you introduce new stuff and build on established parts of the setting, or just stick to what's already there?
>>
>>3347877
I would prefer a none avatar avatar quest if you get my meaning. Like maybe the avatar is old as fuck and senile refusing to die or do anything so suddenly someone takes advantage of that etc etc.

Maybe you have to kill the avatar so he can reincarnate or something at the end of the quest.
>>
>>3347877
Yay. I want to see this as well.
Anyone remember Firebender Quest?
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive.html?tags=DeliciousBread
>>
>>3347885
Give them the OPTION to travel the world or ask NPCs for lore. If they want to learn more, they will vote for it. Info dumps kill immersion unless the players ask for it imo.
>>
>>3347898
Yee, thats what I was thinking. But I usually always do a "what do?" and hoped the players would like ask someone about that sort of thing. But maybe its wrong of me to expect players to know what to ask?

But even then it would be a guy telling you a paragraph of worldlore. I would strongly prefer if it was seamless.
>>
>>3347885
Could try doing side stories, not immediately relevant to the players, but introducing new parts of the world that you don't think they'll visit for some time, or characters they might never meet. Would of course require a time investment though. Otherwise, just try and lure them to new places within the quest. Don't force them or anything, but leading players around fairly subtly isn't super difficult. When writing updates, think "Are there some details I could add that wouldn't bloat the post?" Don't have to go all Tolkienesque about it or anything, but adding an extra detail or two here and there in dialogue or descriptions alluding to stuff wouldn't go amiss, and might make players curious, providing you with the opportunity to tell them about stuff without dumping it on them with no provocation. These are just suggestions of course, so make of them what you will.
>>
>>3347908
Lorekeeper has some nice side-stories. They build the world neatly and slip in things we would never find out as Henry.
>>
>>3347901
Maybe instead of doing this-
>Talk to the guy
>Don't talk to the guy
You can do this-
>Ask the guy about X
>Ask the guy about Y
>Ask the guy about Z
>Ask the guy about [write in]
That way you can parcel out lore in short doses and the players can learn the parts of lore THEY want to learn.
Of course this is just general advice and you know more about your quest than I do.
>>
>>3347915
That's a good example, yeah. Though again, such a thing would require a decent bit of extra time invested outside of running the actual quest, so fleshing out a world in that way isn't ideal for every QM.
>>
yo you fags. You have any vampire ideas for me?

To give more context, the vampire(s) in my quest will be more akin to beasts. They live among the populace and discreetly prey on victims, keeping a low profile. But I need more worldbuilding behind them.

I also intend to include pagan themes, and the quest is set in the real world on the 16th century with a slight fantasy twist. No magic though
>>
>Ewenurin? Yes, the fabled kingdom, deep in the mountains of the south. No one has actually seen them. Many diplomats, spies and assassins have tried their way into their brass walls but all have failed. Only their Automatons, handle any interactions with other nations; they are pure isolationist. Even the greatest minds of Mondee couldn't figure out how to replicate their wonders. They will follow the scent of coins, the greedy lots. No wonder they deployed their toys in the most dangerous dungeon in the world.

share your thoughts about their creations, their daily lives...etc.
>>
>>3347928
Hm, have you got an origin to them as of yet? Are they the descendants of some pagan god, or a demonic pact, or just a different race that has developed alongside and parasitically feeds off of humans, or what? What sort of abilities have they got? Which of the traditional vampiric weaknesses applies to them?
>>
What if Puella Magi: Madoka Magica x Dark Souls?
>>
>>3347922
>>3347915
I have considered that too, but every time I take a break from my quest I want to step away from the world and do something small /different instead of more of the same.

>>3347921
I hate this style, everyone just picks all the options then you again get >question >lore dump >question >lore dump >question >lore dump style conversation thats not very realistic outside of a class room. I would assume people just speed read or skip stuff like that usually.

>>3347928
Im not sure what kind of advice your looking for so ill share an idea I had. I have always wanted to do a quest about a junkie who hits a vampire den. Things get violent as he kills the bouncers who are tralls but gets the attention of a vampire. Anyway it would turn out that the drug he has been on is laced with vampire blood and has been spreading like wildfire. The quest would end with either you becoming a vampire yourself or turning on your vampire masters destroying them from the inside.
>>
>>3347936
Now that I think about it, I would probably go with origin from a pagan source. But I don't think that will be relevant much, since the player character won't be a vampire themselves.
>>
>>3347928
how about a rivalry of sorts? between ANOTHER kind of vampires? beast vampires versus mosquito/leech vampires
>>
>>3347933
>No one has actually seen them
You can have a lot of fun with this. Anons love a good mystery.
>>
>>3347938
Are we killing the magical girls or are they killing us?
>>
>>3347933
Hm, maybe the isolationist tendencies extend past their interactions with the other races? Each of these (Are they called Ewenurin, or is that just their kingdom?) are intensely isolationist, meeting rarely even with other members of their race, and mostly communicating through automatons, the lion's share of their focus going only to their newest creation. Maybe they have some sort of yearly (Or maybe it takes place every hundred years, depending on how long lived they are) competition, one of the few times their race meets in any large number, where they showcase their greatest creations and compare them with one another. Prestige could be determined by the efficacy of their inventions. The obsessiveness, isolationism and meritocracy of their society could be the reason behind why their technology is so advanced compared with other, more social and scatterbrained races. They could devote years of absolute attention to a single invention, or even a particularly complex part of a larger invention.
>>
>>3347943
Alright. Do any of the traditional vampire weaknesses apply to them? Or are they more just very tough to kill, super strong and fast regenerating predators, with none of the running water or crosses or permission to enter dwellings or any of that nonsense? Do they just drink blood, or does their more animalistic nature mean they go whole hog on their victims, and eat and flesh and organs and such?
>>
>>3347928
Twilight quest soon.
>>
>>3347969
>with none of the running water or crosses or permission to enter dwellings or any of that nonsense

I actually think this "nonsense" is pretty cool and very very underdone. I think a vampire being so offended by a silver ring that he asks the person to leave instead of killing him is actually really interesting in a setting that would otherwise be very series.
>>
>>3347980
addign to this:
How many times do you see the vampire say something cliche like "oh those are just kid storys haha" then brushes away a cross.
>>
>>3347949
eh, i have been waiting for 10 hours for a single reply. still, maybe i'll use it in another quest or something.

i should mention that this is a fantasy setting so the automatons are made of wood and steel. i didn't shed light on their power source; still thinking whether they are magically or traditionally created.

In my quest, they are sent to a 100 floor dungeon were old unwanted gods and those who have 'sinned' are thrown there as a form of extreme punishment, worse than death. The automatons have braved all the horrors in these darkest depth to trade with the prisoners in their domain for various goods from the surface at exorbitant prices.

>>3347954
That's the name of their kingdom.
this is pretty good actually. They are undoubtedly the most advanced compared to other nation so i dont see why wouldn't they religiously compete against each other. Each striving to be the best among his/her peers.
>>
>>3347980
I think silver's fine, being a staple material for use in fighting supernatural threats across a variety of fantasy properties and folklore, but stuff like not being able to cross a river or enter somebody's house or get near garlic without permission just doesn't seem very realistic, if one's trying to make vampires into a serious predator and threat in a setting. That might just be my personal tastes speaking, though.
>>
>>3347969
They will be fearful of sunlight as it will make them weak and eventually kill them. They won't have super strength or fast regeneration, but they will have fangs to use as natural weapons, and since they do not need to breathe and do not tire they can fight very fiercely which is what they will do in a desperate situation. But they are not super murderers which is why the "prey and keep a low profile" thing comes from.

They only drink blood and have means to conceal the fang marks and obscure their victims' memories.

The running water or crosses or permission stuff won't be included either
>>
>>3347985
Sounds interesting. Name of your quest?
>>
>>3347980
>>3347981
I agree. Old school creepy vamps were a lot scarier than the wisecracking smartasses we get now.
>>
>>3347816
I agree with your replies. To me, cyberpunk outside of a city is sci-fi and/or space operate sci-fi. It's a weird mental thing, and I admit my (actual) autism muddles this a bit. But, really, cyberpunk is usually a CITY. If anyone can go for a smaller setting like >>3347825 and >>3347849 said, I'd certain attempt to read it or vote in it.

>>3347857
Yikes. Hard question.
>>
>>3347991
Vampires are inherently supernatural / unrealistic, I can tell you that hitting a vampire with a silver sword is as ridiculous to me as them not being able to cross water. Silver is like the softest of metals you literally cant even make that shit sharp much less hit anything with it ans expect it to keep its shape.

If you are trying to make a "realistic" vampire maybe consider making the vampirism a parasite that lodges itself in the roof of the the effected the hosts mouth. There are many parasites that effect the brain and cause changes to the hosts shape. Maybe your vampire drinks blood because the parasite needs it to produce, like mosquito. The *fangs* could come from the parasite instead of the actual host. if its 16th century the host may not even know he HAS a parasite.

If you look at old vampire "lore" they would stake murders and rapists through the mouth so they wouldn't come back as vampires. Thats one of the original myths, if the vampire is a parasite that lives in the roof of your mouth you suddenly have a connection with a real life ritual.
>>
>>3347938
Terrible idea.
>>
>>3348002
Synn it is a poorly written dungeon crawl thing where we literally crawl at a snail's pace. If that is your thing then go here >>3330886
it is a grimdark-ish with lots of implication to emphasize the horrid nature of Synn and its inhabitant.
>>
>>3347991
do you have a hierarchy among your vampires? what are their social structures ?
>>
>>3348032
This is an image of a parasite that eats the thong of a fish and life inside its mouth. Now thats scary and realistic. You want a realistic scary vampire, you look at nature.
>>
File: brown_banded_broodsac.jpg (26 KB, 700x525)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>3348053
This one infects the eyes of a snail and forces it upwards to be eaten by birds.

Image at the end of a vampires life cycle the parasite fucks up the hosts brain and body when its ready to reproduce? Like some huge hulking human or dog that has been absolutely fucked up by the parasite comes stampeding through a town trying to infect other "hosts"

Now thats scary.
>>
>>3348053
>>3348032
to add to his idea, you can add brain parasites dictating/mutating their hosts or even symbiotic parasites who rely on copious amounts of blood for sustenance but they bestow incredible strength to their host in the form of powerful chemicals
>>
>>3347973
How did we get HE-RE? I used to know you soooo weeeeeell!

Oh, right. This is a good time for me to post my idea. Concept in greentext, TL; DR in spoilers.

>Quest where MC is one of a few called Lucids. Can enter dreams and almost am gods. Has to fight other Lucids because reasons. Instead of magic, uses only willpower and imagination for fighting (in dream). Barebones concept, but it's something.

Kingdom Hearts (without the convoluted BS) + Inception + Zoroastrianism/Buddhism/Daoism + Other Fantasy and philosophical crap
>>
>>3348063
Yeah man, anything. You can pump the host with adrenaline or give him DMT trips. The skies the limit when it comes to parasites. I think it would be better if the parasite is subtle about it, if you want things to be realistic.
>>
>>3348000
Right. Are they organized, and interact with others of their kind fairly regularly? Do they have some sort of hierarchy? Or are they more lone wolf types, that rarely interact with others of their kind, and are often hostile to one another?
>>
>>3348117
Territorial, lone vampires. And most likely there will only be one
>>
>>3348070
Sounds interesting. So their abilities are basically determined by how creatively they can fight? We would be like unto gods. But I do see some issues, depending on how this imagination things works. What happens if somebody creates a sword that can cut through anything with their mind, and swings it at someone who blocks with an indestructible shield they've created with their mind? Does it just come down to a struggle of will between the two? Or is attaching concepts like that beyond even Lucids?
>>
>>3348146
Hm, okay. So how do you want to flesh them out, exactly? Do you want help with the lone vampire's motivations, or their backstory, or something to do with their abilities, or what?
>>
>>3347889
>I wish they did more with the special benders

I don't. They tried that shit in Korra, it turned out awfully. Lightning, a rare and dangerous technique that only a rare few firebenders with enough self control to counter their natural fiery disposition can use? Nah, everyone and their grandmother can do it and it's used in power plants. Bloodbending, an art that requires an already-unusually powerful and learned waterbender plus the aid of a full moon to pull off? Lol, psychic bending is apparently a way better idea.
>>
>>3348070
speaking of Buddhism, My previous quest had an option to choose a sea captain who wished to ascended beyond the endless cycles of life and death. To end his existence, he must find a way to delete himself of existence. But of course my players went for a more bombastic , morally depraved pirate because it is more fun. I don't blame them tho.

My question is: How can you build on such premise? A spiritual journey, filled with trials and tribulation to both the body and the mind. Doesn't have to be the deletion of self; lets say ascension to godhood since this more approachable to players.
>>
>>3348150
What I was thinking was to somewhat "limit" the MC by willpower/awareness. Basically, the more practice with being lucid they have, the more they can do in a dream. That makes sense with the theme, and also gives players something to earn rather than roflstomp their way through the quest. So you were right in a way; willpower is important in this setting.

I was going to have concepts like ego and such show up. Maybe ego would've been a "transformed" mode that is powerful yet highly volatile and takes a lot of willpower to control. Id would've been fantasy stand, basically. One thing I WAS going to include was frame (borrowed from shit like 48 Laws of Power), which is like ego but an illusion. Think sharingan from Naruto, except not lolsopowahful. You'd have to have higher frame than someone's ego or willpower for it to work, since in the real world frame is described as a reality you build for yourself and have others buy into with your confidence.

I know I'm getting a bit Shin Megami Tensei here, but I swear it's not a low-key ape. These are just ideas I've had for a few years now that I'm finally putting out there. If anything is confusing or autistic let me know and I'll clarify.
>>
>>3348156
Any of what you listed works really. I am just at a phase where I need ideas and asked in case anons have anything to contribute. I haven't decided on any specific detail on what the vampire is as an individual
>>
>>3348172
Have you read The Egg?
>>
>>3348194
no, link?
>>
>>3348197
http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
>>
>>3348199
ah, i thought it was a quest. my bad. Thank you anon.
>>
>>3348172
Hm, well, sort of depends on the god, I suppose. If we're talking Buddhism, it usually involves reaching a higher state of understanding about the universe through the complete detachment from desires, and even thought. But if we're talking more like a fantasy god, I'd think ascending to godhood would probably reach some sort of absolute state of mind. Like ascension to becoming a god of war would involve devoting your thoughts, feeling, and entire being to war, conflict and bloodshed. As far as characterizing that in a quest though, I couldn't really say what sort of trials you'd put in the way for a player to surpass. Will have to think on it.
>>
>>3348206
There are TTRPGs like this but I forget their names.
>>
>>3348194
>>3348199
You're the real MVP.
>>
>>3348214
I wouldn't be surprised. The concept of ascending to godhood through some sort of enlightened state of mind or gaining a greater understanding of the universe is, well, at least as old as Buddhism, possibly even older.

>>3348186
Hm, okay. There's quite a few routes you could take with a vampire in the 16th century. If there's going to be "Pagan" themes, I'm going to assume this is in Europe, and act under that assumption. First thing I could see is a classic, the upper gentry vampire. Maybe they're a noblemen, scion in a long line of sons that mysteriously all look the same, and aren't seen until they're adults. This vampire has the funds and means to carry out it's feedings fairly discretely, but maybe they or their hired help make a mistake just once, affording the MC the opportunity to pull back the rug covering the whole sordid affair, sort of depends on what place the vampire occupies in the story. Another option is the slumdog vampire. Poor and destitute, this vampire is kind of just a poor person that also has to deal with also having fangs, claws a weakness to the sun, and a hunger for blood. This one's acts could be a lot more easily conspicuous, maybe cropping up as an urban legend in the area they inhabit due to a failed feeding attempt or two, or a mysterious string of murders, depending on how desperate the vampire is for sustenance and how much it's victims fight back. The vampire might get more desperate and vicious as the MC tightens the noose, leading to some sort of interference in the affair by law enforcement. Finally, there's another classic I can think of off the top of my head, the temptress type. Maybe they're a courtesan that never leaves the brothel, or travels the streets at night in the red light district, and is rarely seen otherwise. The throes of passion or the restful period after would, after all, be a good opportunity to sneak some blood. Something more countryside or small town could be a possibility, of course This is just throwing a couple of ideas out there.
>>
>>3348033
The themes of both settings can be combined easily enough
>>
>>3348206
this was originally the plan for said sea captain. To delete self, one must deny himself all desires. companionship, want (both material and primal desires) then finally one would forsake the greatest desire of them all: Self preservation.

Gameplay wise, it was an uphill battle with the sea having to endure numerous penalties during his quest which would very hard to implement without losing the element of fun
>>
>>3348250
Elaborate, depending of what do you want to do it may work.
>>
>>3348257
Basically Hollowing and fading of the flame is analogous to soul gem darkening and rekindling to cleansing of the soul gem and the overall theme of losing your purpose in life and trying to find a reason to live
Obviously there would be more friendly NPCs and much more diplomacy than in vanilla dark souls and I have prepared at least 5 massive plot twists to spice this crossover fanfic up
>>
>>3348253
There was a quest like that on Akun. We were a sea captain looking for a golden city in our dreams.
>>
What's everyone else think of >>3348070 other than the first anon?
>>
>>3348342
I like it. Lucid dreaming is an awesome concept for quest.
>>
File: 1532183447709.png (7 KB, 300x420)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>3348308
I have my reserves about the thematic compatibility of the two settings and there are things that make no sense in the fine details.
But it seems that you actually have a coherent idea of what you want to do, even if you are not explaining it very well or you are intentionally withholding information. So, run it already?
I will shitpost in you quest!
>>
>>3348369
Well if I explained my plot twists they wouldn't be twists anymore, would they?
>>
>>3348175
Maybe you can give the MC some past trauma for balance. Like fear of drowning can be used against him by other lucids in nightmares. The players will have to overcome those fears or use the enemy's phobias against them in dream battles.
>>
>>3348308
Is it Isekai kind of deal?
>>
>>3348387
That could be interesting. Make sussing out the opponent's mental weak points, phobias and the like an important aspect of combat between Lucids. Exposing someone to their phobias could make them lose concentration and weaken them, and if the MC is exposed to their phobia in turn they receive a malus to rolls until they do something to deal with the phobia.
>>
>>3348387
That's one option. Especially since the Nightmares are more instinctual and don't really plan or think like predators. They're more like ethereal fantasy dream zombies. Unless they're led by someone aligned with Dark like a mofo and has willpower like a mofo to boot.

>>3348359
Makes me feel good enough to run it offsite. Thanks anon!
>>
>>3348404
>>3348403
Do we know the other lucids in real life or just in dreams? If we know their real identity, maybe we can research their past to find their phobias or mental weak points.
>>
So, what would you guys think of a quest set in a Redwall style world of sentient (relatively) civilized rodents? Was thinking of maybe setting an overarching story of freeing the land from the grip of a tyrant wolverine who descended from the frigid North with an army of stoats and arctic foxes to conquer the soft Southern lands. Haven't entirely fleshed out the region other then some basic ideas and characters though, so any suggestions for areas and their inhabitants would be great. As long as they're rodents, or of a comparable size to rodents, like small reptile, amphibians, etc., unless they're a larger creature meant to be some sort of monster or something. I'll probably even out the size of stuff somewhat, so wolverines aren't absurdly massive compared to, say, mice, but I don't want to entirely step out of the realm of realism.
>>
>>3348342
If you are looking for worldbuilding inspiration, Lovecraft's dreamlands can be a good starting point.
>>
>>3348425
Do humans exist in this setting?
>>
>>3348425
What about jerboas? They could be a nomadic tribe that specialise in agility, mainly leaping, and leg-based martial arts that reside in areas with shrubs, dust and spiky grasses.
>>
>>3348425
It can be great if done right. How serious will be the story? Disney style funny animals or grimdark like Maus?
>>
I dislike aliens and lasers in science fiction settings.
>>
>>3348456
what would you like to see in a sci fi setting then?
>>
>>3348430
I'm thinking nah. Would make it a bit too hard to do any of the medieval stuff.

>>3348451
Hm, that could be good. Was thinking of putting some scrublands somewhere, and they'd be a perfect inhabitant.

>>3348454
Not grimdark, but hardly tongue in cheek either. Death of the MC and other major characters is a possibility. If you've read the Redwall books, probably around there. Some humour from time to time to lighten the mood, but it would still be a rebellion against a tyrannical dictator and his vicious army of vermin.
>>
>>3348456
So more like kinetic rounds in combat, and human planetary colonies of different beliefs, ideologies and moralities battling it out among the stars?
>>
>>3348478
Sounds good. Go for it.
>>
>>3348386
I am rather curious though. Without giving it to much away, what would it be? Would the MC be a Magical Girl type character in Dark Souls, or a character with Dark Souls style powers in Madoka Magica, or would it be more of an actual crossover between dimensions, with the two worlds spilling into each other, or one spilling into the other? Or is it something completely different from the possibilities I outlined?
>>
>>3348481
Exactly, someone who understands. But less kinetic rounds and more missiles and nukes.
>>
When it comes to quests, do you guys have a fairly good idea of the world it's set in beforehand, or do you just make it up as you go along?
>>
>>3348614
I like to obsessively develop every little detail of the setting, but that's mostly just me being autistic as hell, and being rather lacking in flexibility and creativity in my writing. I know at least some QMs just sort of fly by the seat of their pants and come up with things as they go along.
>>
>>3348618

Yeah, I'm kinda the second type. I've got a few things set in stone (Not that I'll be saying them because spoilers), but there's a fair part of the world which only exists as it does because of a particular roll.
>>
>>3348614
I'm an intense underplanner. I came up with a basic premise, some rules of the world, and locations in broad strokes... and that's literally it. Everything else has effectively been invented on the fly or like a day before a session.

Which, on one hand, has turned the quest into something I didn't expect but like a whole lot. more than the original (vague) plan. On the other hand, it's stressful to improv everything and it leaves the players directionless. I need to find a balance.
>>
>>3348614
Well, I don't run a quest, but I do write fanfiction. I tend to plan stuff not vaguely but not meticulously either. I imagine a good quest would follow a bit of a looser plan with less stuff set in stone to accommodate player decisions and the possible outcomes of situations.
>>
>>3348420
Not at first, but you do find more as the quest/story goes on. And yes, you can certainly do that, though it might be 'quicker' (quotes because it's certainly more dangerous) to learn by diving into the dreams or subconscious. Of course, that's a whole other can of worms!
>>
File: download.jpg (8 KB, 332x152)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
Which one of these sounds the best for a new short quest? All will have draw quest stuff but mostly writing.

>dungeon heart quest
You are a piece of a space entity that broke up and fell to the earth destroying all life. The entity was a massive crystal so the piece that you play as awakes several million years later to find civilization has arisen around it and crystals such as yourself are used to do MAGIC. So you build a dungeon around yourself as you swell to titanic proportions in an attempt to reclaim your memories and liberate your sleeping brothers. As adventurers and beasts come to try and claim you as a prize you must Build alliances with gient spiders / mummies / dark creatures in exchange for you power or become a force for good empowering races such as elves and humans, or even sapient bird men

>psudo fantasy egypt thread
In psudo Egypt land the gods truly walk the earth. Take charge of a character associated with one of the majour factions: the church of the sun god, the church of the Nile, the military, the great library clique, or the merchants guild. In this quest, you must navigate the political world as you attemp to gain the Pharoah's throne for yourself, an 8 year old boy! As you gain his favour you must be wary to not draw his eye too closely, for at his entombing ritual in ten years you may find yourself being sent to the next life as his servent!

>DarkElf quest 2:
You are a dark elf! Forced to escape the underrealm home never to return, you must learn to live with the free peoples of the overrealm. More often then not, your chaotic evil nature will cause you to come into conflict with the more lawful good hearted people that have now become your neighbours. Manipulate your way to the top then burn it all down around you when something new catches your fancy. The life of an easily bored dark elf is paved with blood soaked bricks and raunchy escapades .

>cyber punk vampire hunter / thrall quest
A new drug has hit the streets and no one knows what's in it, but what you do know is youre addicted. Your search for the next hit forces you to acts of violence, the bloody trail you leave in your wake catches the eye of a mysterious patron and you are soon enthralled! Fight your way to freedom or become a vampire yourself in this neo cyber universe.
>>
>>3348481
Isn't that (technically) Star Wars, in a way? I was going to say Dune but remembered it all takes place on one or two planets, not a star system.

Wait. Terrans from StarCraft, minus everyone else. That's literally them.

>>3348614
I usually start off autistic and then wind down into low-key.
>>
Thank god there's finally a world building thread here. Anyways, I was brainstorming about making world ALA Brutal Legends.

Since the original world was Metal theme in a Conan-like barbarian setting. How would Rock theme world looks like? Noblebright Medieval?
>>
>>3348656
I mean, Star Wars has aliens, and laser swords, and laser guns, and a giant death laser.
>>
>>3348665
Rock and roll was fueled by drugs. Maybe you can make the rock themed fantasy setting trippy and psychedelic? Like giant mushrooms, talking walruses, floating whales etc.
>>
>>3348655
It's tough between the cyberpunk and pseudo egyptian, but I think I'd go with the pseudo egyptian. We've gotten plenty of dungeon management type quests over the years, plenty of dark elves, and less cyberpunk, but still at least a few, but I can't really remember any quests in an egyptian setting. Plus I like the egyptian pantheon and religion.
>>
>>3348789

Noted! It will be a mix of Alice in Wonderlands and fantasy.

Also about the classes. Most class can use secondary weapons such as ax or swords:
- Vocalist: Buffer
The usual leader class that uses voice/ lyrics as weapon. Could be using roars like in skyrim.

- Guitarist: Black mage
Using guitar to summon lightning or fire. maybe different notes can create different elements

- Bass player: White mage/healer
The soothing sound can heal or cleanse souls.

- Drummer: Dunno, maybe smith/tank class?
Could be a machine gun but the drum set must be set up first and it is stationary thus Drummer mainly bash things in close combat.

-Roadie: From the game. Basically a jack of all trade class or the bard of this world.

Anything to add or change? This is all still a brainstorm
>>
>>3348913
Other then maybe a joke class addition or two for a couple of laughs, like "Cowbell Clanger", not really, it sounds good.
>>
In a 1950s United States in which individuals are only just now awakening with superpowers, would an intensely violent Black Nationalist movement make sense in the deep south? I'm talking the Black majority areas of Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana.
>>
>>3349293
>capeshit
Please no.
>>
>>3349293
While this I don't think would be the best place to ask... no, actually. Unless it was an offshoot like the Black Panthers. Most black people really didn't want to give any MORE of a reason for whites to want them dead beyond 'black people exist and that scares us'. Powers would likely be used either for personal enhancement or self-defense, and maybe a bargaining chip so they could get a seat at the table, is my deduction.
>>
>>3349245
Probably not, I'd think it'd probably be more like what >>3349298 said, with maybe a fringe group or two, but black people by and large just using their superpowers to defend themselves and their rights, and maybe to try and improve their political lot.
>>
>>3349430
Whoops, meant to link this to >>3349293
>>
>>3348655
>psudo fantasy egypt thread
Sounds interesting.
>>
>>3348614
go along. I am a master of improvisation.
>>3349293
i would love to see an alternative history quest where there is no US. Rather, different federations of sorts. American fantasy if that is a thing
Sadly, i am no burger myself so my knowledge is extremely limited in this regard.
>>
>>3349293
Mostly I agree with >>3349298. A black nationalist movement would make more sense in the sixties or seventies, or the urban parts of the North. In Chicago and New York, there were a number of small radical movements emerging as far back as the thirties, but in the South, American black people were much slower to advocate for a higher station in the country.
>>
>>3348545
Yes, MC would be a magical girl and it indeed would be dimensional merge kind of deal but those aren't the twists
>>
File: 1504972641329.gif (335 KB, 480x270)
335 KB
335 KB GIF
>>3349874
So, when are you starting it?
>>
>>3349874
The premise on a baseline level sounds good, but you'd be better served IMO making the world one a bit more 'custom' than doing a crossover between pre-existing fictional worlds. Would make it a lot easier ultimately to realize everything and not have to worry about things why X that used to be W is what it is now thanks to Z. You can have much more clear-cut and easier explanations that way if I haven't misunderstood you.
>>
When it comes to maps, is it better to hand draw them or use Hexographer? I feel like hand drawn is the way to go, but Hexographer might be more straightforward.
>>
This thread has gone pretty well so far. No shitposting I can see, and lots of discussion without any echoing
>>
>>3349987
honestly, it depends on how much skillful you are , how much effort you are willing to put in it
I personally use SAI which is a step above MS paint but not photoshop tier

if a map is not your utmost concern and you dont want to spend too much time with slow drawing, go for this hexographer or any streamlined mapping program. Any visualization will suffice.

if you want more details, more authority in making your map, go for hand drawing/ any drawing program
>>
File: 1524920326619.png (1.93 MB, 1600x1000)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB PNG
>>
File: 1546510949142.png (75 KB, 800x600)
75 KB
75 KB PNG
>>3350138
Interesting...
>>
>>3350013
It's because most anons here are current QMs trying to get better.
>>
>>3349711
I'd like to add that the 70s X-Men comics were based on the civil rights movement, Professor Xavier being MLK and Magneto being Malcolm X.
>>
>>3348913
>a mix of Alice in Wonderlands and fantasy
That sounds awesome! I'm pretty bored with medieval fantasy settings trying too hard for gritty realism. Something surreal will be nice for a change.
>>
>>3350357
Current and hopefully, future QMs.
>>
>>3348655
>dungeon heart quest
I've seen this done 3-4 times. The greatest problem is that newbie QMs are just not prepared for the truly massive amounts of bookeeping this entails.
>>
>>3350357
>>3350399
Like myself!
>>
>>3348913
Bro. If you make this quest . . . I swear to god.

You better make this quest. Not even joking. Never heard of a Brutal Legends (sounds like Blizzard) but when I see Alice in Wonderland I perk up. Just wish the original novels weren't written in steam-of-consciousness unreliable narrator format. But I digress.

>>3348789
Yes this. This guy gets it.
>>
>>3349633
>American fantasy if that is a thing
It is a thing. I believe this genre is called Fantasy Americana.
>>
>>3350482
Yeah, I feel like any sort of civilization/resource management style quests tends to completely crush the willpower of whoever tries to run one. Honestly, I have no idea how they do it. Quest Drone has to be a robot or something, to manage all that research, resource management, and army composition over in Hive Queen Quest. Same with Graves over in DAtS.
>>
>>3350604
>And though this might sound a lot like a Standard Fantasy Setting, there are a number of traits that set Fantasy Americana apart. Rather than villages built around a castle or keep, you're more likely to find isolated homesteads or quaint small towns. Magical Native Americans replace wizards and oracles, and creatures like Bigfoot or Mothman take the place of classical creatures like dragons or unicorns. And in place of the towering figures of Classical Mythology, there are Tall Tale folk heroes like Paul Bunyan, John Henry, Davy Crockett, and Johnny Appleseed, some of whom really existed.
>>
>>3350616
Wild west fantasy with native american mythology monsters should make for a really interesting quest setting.
>>
>>3347784
I'm dropping a few pics for your Wild West monster hunting quest, OP.
>>
File: 1453354100080.jpg (143 KB, 1024x524)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
>>3350693
2/3
>>
>>3350696
3/3
>>
>>3350659
Okay, but add a westaboo elf with a horrible bird's-nest beard too. He's convinced it looks good and nobody has dared to correct him and the big iron on his hip
>>
>>3350700
this but make him cute and short instead
>>
>>3350693
>>3350696
>>3350698

Thanks anon. Generally the stuff wouldn't be that giant, since I'd want the creatures to be fairly killable for a relatively small team of monster hunters with for the most part mundane weapons like firearms and hatchets and the like, but a single big sandworm waking up and rampaging or something would definitely make for an interesting major adventure.
>>
Anyone know any good professional cookbooks (i.e filled with recipes you'd see in a fancy restaurant) I can use for my quest? Is pic related good?
>>
>>3350893
Also what are some good sources of food porn?
>>
>>3350898
reddit? maybe take a look a come high class cooking books/restaurants.
>>
>>3350898
Don't know about images, but some of the meals and feasts described in the Redwall book series make me salivate, and I'm a carnivore through and through.
>>
>>3350898
Dragon Crown.
>>
>>3350659
>>3350693
>>3350696
>>3350698

Yee to the fucking haw.
>>
>>3350893
>>3350898
I'd recommend the "[Location], the Beautiful Cookbook" series for both questions. Absolutely gorgeous.
>>
>>3348172
>>3348172
>>3348206
Now that you mention it, I DID have a self-improvement sort of setting/idea. The problem? Obviously knowing fuck-all of where to even begin to pull that off. But no time like the present, right?
>>
Does anybody have a recommended tool for creating large-scale strategic maps, as opposed to the granular tactical stuff hex tools lend themselves to? Or is the only option to buckle down and try to actually draw the thing?
>>
>>3351940
>large-scale strategic maps
Got an example or description of what you mean?

Chances are, you'll have to "draw" it, but there are cheats.
>>
>>3351940
I tried Google, but it was giving me all sorts of ones you have to buy, despite my best efforts of trying to hammer home I wanted free results.

You might have to draw it the old fashioned way. Sorry, I wish I could be more help.
>>
File: map_c.gif (115 KB, 1152x965)
115 KB
115 KB GIF
>>3351996
I was thinking something along the lines of the attached map, or your classic wall-hanging political map..
>>
>>3352388
Not sure if this will help, I can't play around with much at the moment.
But it has political borders and such.

https://azgaar.github.io/Fantasy-Map-Generator/
>>
>>3352427
This isn't quite what I'd had in mind, but it is a super fun tool! I'll definitely make use of this, thanks!
>>
I think the people in this thread are the same people who sit in the /qtg/
>>
>>3352480
What makes you think that?
>>
So my quest is based on a giant dungeon named Synn nestled in the most desolated parts of the world where A woman-turned-divine named Helderan (with the help of her fellowship of heroes and heroines) overthrew most of the old gods after dethroning them and usurping most of their powers.

Time passes on after the creation of this new order, dark pilgrims slowly began to brave the dungeon for the sake of their dead/weakened old gods. Helderan , now the goddess of absolute, forbade such practice. Eventually, Synn became the number one choice for criminals, undesirables and other creatures. The Brand of Synn is imprinted on criminals to force them to abide to the laws of the dungeon which may defies the natural laws of the surface.

Some old gods are slumbering away from the woes of the world accepting their fates. Others are actively seeking prisoners where each soul submitted to them will empowering them, the hopes of crawling back to the surface is sparking in their eyes.

My question is : what do you think life in Synn is like? How could men , gods, Creatures can adapt to the grueling darkness of the depth?

If you got any prompts which can fit with the theme, please do share it.
>>
posting image prompts that may help other QMs
>>
>>
File: DfdON3oVMAENGFr.jpg (187 KB, 1920x1080)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
>>
File: blind salamander 01.jpg (57 KB, 1280x720)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>3352819
Personally I've always liked the idea of blind salamander people living in underground rivers and underwater caverns. Pale, semi-translucent skin, frilly red gills for "hair," and eyes that have long since faded away into nothing.
>>
>>3352819
Some will devolve into blind monsters like the falmer from elder scrolls. Others will develop fighting styles that focus on their other senses. These inhabitants will have powers based on sound, smell and touch.
>>
>>3352861
>>3352870
those are great. I can imagine putting tribal salamander people in the earlier levels of the dungeon. They won't be a pushover like your basic mook.

Maybe they'll value certain sounds/smells. One can use let's say a pungent fruit or a musicbox to trade with them. It is not all darkness, some of the man made levels have torches and whatnot while certain parts of Synn are claimed by bioluminescence or other natural sources of light. They'll be scarce though.
>>
>>3352819
Some men are Dreamers, seeking to transcend the mortal realm by diving into the dreams of the slumbering gods.

Best case, their spirit is separated from body, which mutates into a ghastly but ultimately mindless horror.
>>
>>3353218
Mayhaps some sort of ant people or termite people who dwell in the darkness of the dungeon? Largely mindless servitors, carrying out the will of their Queens. Maybe a few different castes, like workers, warriors, crafters, etc.
>>
File: image-placeholder-title.jpg (119 KB, 1200x673)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>3352819
>>3353218
There was an actual subterranean city called Derinkuyu, with living space for 20,000 people plus livestock.
>The houses here were underground, with a mouth like that of a well, but spacious below; and while entrances were tunnelled down for the beasts of burden, the human inhabitants descended by a ladder. In the houses were goats, sheep, cattle, fowls, and their young; and all the animals were reared and took their fodder there in the houses.
Here's a link- https://www.historicmysteries.com/derinkuyu-underground-city-cappadocia/
>>
>>3352819
I’d imagine the groups of men would be very insular, some overtly hostile to strangers but the majority extremely distrustful. I mean if you know everyone sent down there is either a criminal or a crazy cultist/adventurer, you’re not going to take any chances.

Maybe criminals form groups based on their crimes, like a whole band of murderers hold one area and a group of thieves hold another.

There’s probably a huge bed for cults as well, the disenfranchised are easily manipulated by someone with the right, if evil, intentions. Maybe there’s a roving band of the exiled who have fallen under the sway of someone claiming to be the avatar of one of the slumbering gods. They travel to each settles area and demand payment as tribute to their god, but the leader just hordes the best things for himself.
>>
I have a quest idea based around 'card magic'. I was thinking (for simplicity) the MC could summon allies using cards, and battle with others who can do the same. Not sure if I should make all the summons dragons since everyone loves them or go all out and invent an entire bestiary. Is this fun or nah? I could try running it if I get positive feedback. Make a quick one-shot.
>>
>>3353703
Make a bestiary. Depending on power level (full MtG or what?) you might need much smaller critters than dragons.
You COULD run an MtG quest.
>>
>>3353703
Would be more of a card game type thing with rules, like Yugioh, or just magical cards that let you summon monsters?
>>
>>3353229
it is the other way around actually where the so called Ritual Children are artificially born by cultists using lets say a hair of the god they worship who prepare this fatherless/motherless vessel to host their god on the surface. Of course, such cults are constantly hunted to oblivion with the Ritual child thrown in Synn ; even the old god/goddess is reeborn using the vessel of the child, she/he will still find themselves in Synn.

I do like the idea of a soulless husk. Maybe certain devotees offer their essence to the old gods via abandoning their bodies to empower divine and dormant flesh.

>>3353233
I like to toy with the idea that Synn had originally its own native species before the new gods start digging. They should have a distinct theme to them, one would distinguish them from various creatures thrown here too.

>>3353340
That is pretty neat. I actually didn't think of ventilation system, i would describe the air as still and rancid already tainted with the stench of death over decades if not centuries.

>>3353596
i am going for a desolate theme for the quest. If you are thrown in Synn, Chance are you would get murdered, eaten, violated or all of the above. Few survive, Fewer retain their sanity (the shadows have a tendency to twist the minds of men).

There are supposedly 100 levels in Synn so it is possible to mix and mash a sense of dread and loneliness with that of a community of viler implications.

>>3353703
I would also like to see a legit card quest. have a setting of your choice and translate its events with a card game like that witcher game. It would feel more organic and less gimmicky imo.
>>
>>3353703
>>3353766
or just like he said, MC battling doods with a compelling story on the side.
>>
>>3353753
Oh, no. Not full-on MtG or YuGayHo levels. That'll cause another snappening. Maybe something rules-lite like Bakugan? I could run a MtG quest and I do enjoy the game, however I'm unacquainted with the current meta (see: too broke to afford that hobby) among other things.

>>3353766
A balance, more shifting towards just summoning. I'm obviously spearheading this, but hopefully qwg can put in their two cents to make this easier.

>>3353772
>witcher
Not sure what you mean.

Let's say they summoned creatures were dragons and each dragon had a power rating and special ability. It could look something like this . . .

>NAME: Armored Dragon
>TYPE: Metal, Earth
>PWR: 6atk | 7def
>SPCL: "Metalmorph" - This ability gives Armored Dragon an extra layer of metal plating it draws from minerals in the earth's crust(?). Its speed will drop while using this ability, but defense drastically increases. (double-effective against anti-mental attacks)

SEEMS to be simple enough to me, but I'll see what qwg thinks.
>>
>>3353802
witcher thronebreaker was its name i think.
What i mean is something like this:

Your party is ambushed by x, prepare for combat!

and then instead of dice rolling and such, the combat would in card form with your cards being the MC , their company and their resources. A neat spin on card games.

Your idea isnt bad either but if you are doing 'MC uses card magic thing' you better have a counter to 'why can't i just order my beast to straight up kill my enemy instead of wasting my time with his cards'. UNLESS, it is a one sided thing where MC has only card magic.

What i am saying is to try to seamlessly blend both the storytelling aspect with the actual meat of your quest.
>>
>>3353802
>>3353781
>>3353772
>>3353766
>>3353753
>>3353703
>no mention of Chaosic Rune
You disappoint me.
>>
>>3353848
pls forgib my weeblord
>>
>>3353850
no no, not gwent. although both thronebreaker and Gwent are similar.
https://youtu.be/NvkuoCbjwHk
skip to 5:00 to see what i mean
>>3353848
i only played pokemon and OG yugioh , what is that?
>>
File: 20190317_002540.jpg (160 KB, 720x430)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>>3353869
A manga.
>>
>>3353838
As much as I’m loathe to bring such things up generally, this sounds somewhat like a MtG quest that’s been running on Akun for a while. We can use a few cards from our deck per day to perform actions within the world, and combat is carried out by, well, playing MtG, with the QM translating each turn of action in the game into a set of actions in the actual combat. Doing a quest like that would probably require some excellent on the spot thinking skills though.
>>
>>3353838
>and then instead of dice rolling and such, the combat would in card form with your cards being the MC , their company and their resources. A neat spin on card games.
Ah. So Baten Kaitos. Interesting.

>MC only
Doable, certainly, but if a bit bland. Not trying to offend. I'll explain. The "MC can do but no one else!" has been done to death, no? I'm expecting someone else to say that, weird. I guess I'm no longer a newfag. Anyway, it just seems I'd be swapping the cards for what we've seen before: MC superpowers, MC am gods, MC x magic, MC psychic. I don't want to be another MC xyz, you know what I mean? At least with that summoner dragon thingy, it sets it apart. Everyone can summon up and fight instead of just MC roflstomping the quest.
>>
>>3353881
Really? Mind linking me?
>>
>>3353869
Chaosic Rune is basically a manga only card game series with no physical merchandise that is ridiculously over the top but has a really simple system it operations by.
It goes like this:
You summon monsters.
The summoned monster is linked to your life.
Your deck action like a health pool allowing you too avoid injuries as long as you have cards to discard in your deck.
The deck can also act as a mana pool to perform ridiculous bullshit with your monster.
The actual cards in the deck are stuff like augments for your monsters, item cards that can summon any kind of item you can think of, and other monsters.
And that's pretty much it. It's stupidly simple and solves most of the problems mentioned.
>>
>>3353931
On the list it goes!
>>
>>3353881
i have never been in Akun or any of those questing sites before. qtg sure loves to talk about them.
>>3353896
i was offering a suggestion. It is entirely up to you to shape your quest. in the end, you are not trying to reinvent the wheel but at the same time uniqueness for the sake of it seldom works.

you could go for the yugioh route, it makes the card aspect self contained if you know what i mean,

>>3353931
is it worth a read?
>>
>>3353911
https://fiction.live/stories/MtG-The-Mother-of-Invention/cbx7Q9CWMZPv3hjp2/home

Just don't read the chat, it's a bunch of gay degeneracy to be honest
>>
>>3353939
The manga is pretty awesome but dead and don't mean axed dead. Chaosic Rune never bores you with long winded explanations, has ridiculous over the top action, and the story is mostly just an excuse for manly over top action.
>>
>>3353939
>i have never been in Akun or any of those questing sites before. qtg sure loves to talk about them.

Best not to take what the qtg says about akun too seriously, there's a long, volatile history there. It's got some good quests, but you've got to wade through a lot of smut to find them, so unless you've already built up a tolerance to that sort of thing or are really starved for questing content I wouldn't say going's worth the effort.
>>
>>3353996
The most sane and emotionally balanced way anyone on qst has expressed their opinion about Akun. Who's the anon that said the same people in qwg are in qtg? You are SUPER wrong, whoever you are that said that. This post proves it.
>>
>>3353881
>As much as I’m loathe to bring such things up
Don't be. The whole anti-akun meme on /qtg/ is very silly.
>>
>>3353943
The first one was better imo
>>
>>3354084
It really is, but nevertheless I was a bit worried that bringing up akun would start up a shitstorm or generate some salt or something. I'm quite happy that my concerns were proven unwarranted.
>>
>>3354121
I haven't read through the first one as of yet, to be entirely honest. I'll certainly look into it though.
>>
>>3353996
>>3354134
Speaking of non-smut akun quests, lord of the darkwood has fantastic worldbuilding
>>
File: 4274396_orig.jpg (554 KB, 1008x567)
554 KB
554 KB JPG
>Question for QMs
Do you have custom races in your world? If so, tell us about them!
>Question for players
Do you want QMs to come up with original races or stick to the familiar elves, dwarves etc?
>>
>>3354143
That's another one I've very much enjoyed, yeah. The worldbuilding for it's been excellent. Jagged's done a really good job of slowly revealing enough of the world and alluding to things to keep us interested and wanting to learn more, but also keeping a lot of stuff under wraps.
>>
>>3354159
As a player/reader, I prefer it when people stick to the familiar. If anything, I prefer as few sentient races as possible in a fantasy setting, with a wider variety of fantasy beasts and monsters.
>>
>>3354159
>Do you want QMs to come up with original races or stick to the familiar elves, dwarves etc?

Original races are good. I don't mind if a QM sticks to the traditional races, or introduces new spins on old races, but a few strange new races that we don't know the ins and outs through long experience interacting with them in other worlds is always a good way to spice up a setting a bit.
>>
>>3354159
I like original races but their often just reskinned orcs or elves
>>
>>3354159
Fantasy is at its best with humans only, IMO.
>>
>>3354223
Hm, any particular reason why you prefer it that way?
>>
>>3354282
Basically Tolkien had a variety of races because he was creating a representation of the theme of degradation from the perfect divinity, as shown in the Silmarillion.
D&D did multiple races for the sake of character specialization, and because they were aping Tolkien.
Most fantasy with the "classic" races done since has been inspired by one or both of the two, but usually lacks either Tolkien's fully realized thematic basis or D&D's game necessity.
For most fantasy narratives I've read, you could swap out elves, dwarves, etc for humans with different cultures and have little to no meaningful change. Look at how many people just write elves as the Qing, for example.
So unless the author has some really good reason why they need multiple sentient races, I enjoy it more when they focus on building other aspects of the world instead of either putting their creativity to work making yet another original sentient not-quite-human race or relying on trope races to fill the setting.
>>
File: 1547838962977.png (464 KB, 1000x1699)
464 KB
464 KB PNG
>>3354159
well i had some in my previous sea quest. nothing is too special about them

>Humm
Your average human. Bland and Simple. Most are ruled by the Matriarch : an industrious/ambitious power hungry immortal who wants to extend her superiority of Humms across the sea.

>Kerkit
A General term for various insect-like humanoids. Each one is hailing from an ancestral bug. Traders/Spiritualists on good terms with the Matriarch. Their pirates are the most malicious

>Ashen
The quest used to take place inside Kyth, a giant mechanical goddess. Those who somehow wind up from the outside world are covered with the great ashes of the barren wasteland. They are often regarded as lesser beings, bringers of unnatural laws and omens to the sea.

>Verminians
Originally, a mistake of a Vacuous Goddess. Verminians are rats who have gained sentience. They come in all shapes and forms with the smallest ones having a lifespan of weeks and the largest ones act , live and talk like normal Humms. Their lower forms tend to be the most chaotic always breeding, eating or dying. If they don't talk, their heart will stop (the most evolved ones are free of such curse). Otherwise, they are pretty good mechanics/scouts/scavengers with zero sense for self preservation

>Men of Stone
Either carved from living mountains or crafted with special materials, the men of stone are often used as slaves for their ridiculously cheap upkeep (they require pebbles for sustenance ). Most have zero personality especially those who are not carved. One should not underestimate a man of stone. They have absurd strength, perhaps the strongest there is.

>Spinebound
The Goddess of Authority bound certain men and women to fullfil a certain task, they'll lose their flesh and skin. Only their bones shall remain. They are often religious with decades if not centuries of experience.

>Men of fire
Devils, Demons who follow the unspoken words of a great heart of fire. They have horns and tails, can sprout wings and can breathe fire at will. In their most dire of times, they can detonate their blazing heart to take their foes with them.

>Kythians
Men of Glass, Skin wearers. Originally the natives of Kyth, the Humms have crushed them back to their little home. Still, They are often fear for their cunning ability to skin their victims alive, assuming their voice and identity.

there is also the dilated, husks , men of candles but i am too sleepy to list them all.
>>
>>3354332
How do you feel about fantasy beasts and monsters?
>>
>>3354337
Nice! Do you have your quests archived on suptg?
>>
>>3354352
I got into fantasy from a background of loving Greek and Norse mythology, so fantasy beasts are one of those aspects that I like to see focused on that I mentioned before.
>>
>>3354337
You drew that?
>>
File: 1533925208585.gif (1.92 MB, 480x202)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB GIF
>>3353865
no
>>
>>3347784
Do any questmasters have tips for starting a quest? How much do I need to prepare?
>>
>>3354575
>Do any questmasters have tips for starting a quest?
It's a good idea to start your first quest in a world you know well and maybe run a short, one shot quest before a longer one or one you've been planning forever.
Basically, whatever mistakes you inevitably make on your first try won't be with an idea you're tremendously invested in.

>How much do I need to prepare?
Unfortunately, there's no real default.
Everyone runs and improvises differently.
Generally, prepare as little as you need to to answer unexpected questions and issues that come up.
Plus more if you feel like it or think it's fun.
I recommend having at least a general idea of the direction where the quest might go, if you want it to last.
>>
>>3354223
>>3354332
I understand where you are coming from but I disagree strongly.
Fantasy is at its best when the creator understands that worldbuilding is more about the "composition" of the world and how everything influences each other and that nothing should function as if it was in a vacuum. This, I believe, is a common beginner mistake, to simply ignore the big picture in favor of focusing on trivial additions that add no real value to the setting.
>>
>>3355228
I agree with what you're saying, but I also don't see how it conflicts with my previous statements.
>>
>>3355252
I am >>3354332, to clarify. My mobile network seems to like shifting my post ID.
>>
>>3354575
Here's some "practical" tips based on my own single-data-point experience:

>Try to post quickly on your first thread, especially if you're a new QM. I recommend sticking to a 10/20 split. 10 minutes for voting, then 20 to write-up the update. This is just for the first thread, once you hook some players you can slow it down without much trouble. Even if you're writing longer posts, I would say it's better to break them up and post them every twenty minutes than a longer pause. It's all about that dopamine.
>Fanfic will always trump OC in reader count (at least initially and at least for a new QM) accept this and forget about it
>Prep as if you're going to finish the quest within 10 threads. Then run as if the quest will never end. This basically forces you to constantly think about the "ending", to use elements that have come up spontaneously in play toward that ending and to come with conflicts that lead toward that ending. The magic is, as you'll soon found out, that the story can always continue once the ending is reached, but so long as its in mind, you'll have the motivation to continue to try and reach it. You can also stop at that ending without leaving everyone blueballed.
>>
>>3355301
Seconding all of this.
>>
>>3355252
We conflict in what our view is most important. You do not need to have humans only for fantasy to be at it's best. You do however have to make all the elements of the setting meaningful.
>>3354575
I'll give this a reply. You only really need a rough outline but if you want to add more detail than that to start with you should make it "loose" enough so that when the players do something unexpected they don't accident ruin all your plans or catch you in a corner.
>>
>>3355301
This is actually pretty good advice.
Not John Wick levels of good but pretty damn good.
>>
>>3355301
I'm going to add on to this message about prepping with two concepts every QM should know.

Quantum Ogres, and failing forward.

Failure is something a LOT of quests have trouble dealing with, with people ragequitting or whining for rerolls and such.

The trick is to make failure not end the story. Make it cost something, lost opportunities, lost body parts, lost faith in yourself wait no never go full Valen Quest.

Either have a backup character in the setting ready to switch PoV to, or if you prefer a less lethal option - make one! Have players make a deal with a devil on their death, and come back years later to a place and people who have forgotten them and moved on. Or not, but now they have a curse of some sort to deal with.

Or just have them get knocked TF out and captured and now you have a jailbreak arc.

Just remember to have the story continue to advance while they're dealing with this, so there's still a cost to failure but it doesn't end the story.

The Quantum Ogre on the other hand is a more loose concept of saving prep time when your players make the wrong choice and instead of going off to follow the trail of dropped hints, they decide fuck it we're going to be pirates.

Simply take the characters and narrative arcs and swap them around. The City Lords are now all Pirates, the invading enemy nation is now the legitimate Authority chasing down your pirates, etc.

Keep your prep planning strategic and let the players create the tactical situation through their actions. That way you can prep for threads ahead of time without being sad that your Albani War Machines you spent hours on don't suddenly get sabotaged and never used because players got a lucky crit.

With the nature of image board anon posting, you either have to be prepared for really random shit, or have the quest on rails from day one.

Neither one is really "bad". Lamplighter and Black Company Quest are great examples of how a quest on the rails (literally for most of Lamplighter) can allow for much tighter narrative arcs and coherent character growth both mechanically and in character depth. Failing Forward however is much more important here because your players WILL fail, and if you don't let failure affect them then you aren't playing a quest you're writing a novel.

Balancing out these two aspects of questing, failing forward and quantum ogres, let's QMs deal with the fact that dice hate you and players are retards sometimes.

> Put on the mask!
>>
>>3355301
>Try to post quickly on your first thread, especially if you're a new QM. I recommend sticking to a 10/20 split. 10 minutes for voting, then 20 to write-up the update. This is just for the first thread, once you hook some players you can slow it down without much trouble. Even if you're writing longer posts, I would say it's better to break them up and post them every twenty minutes than a longer pause. It's all about that dopamine.
elaborating on this(from a player POV) quantity is better than quality. If your brain only managed to think one paragraph of text, post that and post a series of trivial choices that don't advance the plot that much. In that way you can buy some extra time for your brain to generate more ideas.
>>
>>3356794
Always include choices though. Nothing kills a quests momentum more than a

> wat do?

It's fine for the choices to be trivial, players will add in on their own if they have an idea, if not you can move faster on to something they are interested in
>>
>>3354575
Another thing that might sound counterproductive but actually helps is to be honest with your players and Veto whatever bullshit that they propose and you don't like.

If you feel uncomfortable with the direction the players are taking with a character, tell them(although this is usually handled by taking away the choices that could allow the players to keep that path), If in the character creation one smartass decides to play as a pedophile hitler, tell them no(regardless if its the most popular option), If one anon tries to make the pacifist go in a murder spree for no reason and no justification whatsoever, tell them no.
I've seen lots of quests fall into the trap that the QM has to yield to the whims of the players and while this is true up to certain degree, you have the final word on everything. But don't let this make you believe that you have to rule with an iron fist; Ideally this is a game where you and the players work together to create a story. You aren't competing against them, unless you are making a horror survival quest, which in that case, just be fair with them.
>>
File: d11Mg8z.png (158 KB, 417x804)
158 KB
158 KB PNG
Oh, another thing that you might find useful is to fudge the rolls whenever it feels appropriate.(unless you are playing in a system where one single hit can end a fight)
For example, you have your boss fight set up and ready, and you already have planned out how the fight will go more or less. But your players throw you a curve ball and roll a crit, or use the super weapon they had stashed in the bottom of their inventory. Instead of throwing your planned event for the night and one shot your boss, acknowledge what they did in your writing(and what it did to the boss), and have the boss fight the players, but have them kill him whenever the moment is right. That way you can use your notes, and the players get a satisfying fight without actually being "at risk".

Also steal notes from the players themselves.
Sometimes in your quest you will have people that will begin to theorycraft based on the information that they have available. If you see some idea that sounds really cool or makes more sense than what you had planned, don't be afraid of stealing it, BUT, give it your own twist and don't implement said idea immediately. Take your time seeing if the idea actually works with your world and then slowly introduce it to the quest. Basically pic related.
>>
>>3354363
eh sure, it is on hiatus tho
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive.html?tags=Sea%20Captain

>>3354415
of course not. one of the good drawfags of teegee drew this for me. I didn't have the chance to post it on my quest.

>>3354575
>Proof read your post before updating, you have no idea how frustrating it is to find a wrong word or a missing e/s/whatever.

>Choose a good time to start your quest. Always keep in mind that most of your players are Americans.

>Don't overdo and burn yourself out. If you are not having fun, then why bother?

>If you aren't good/skillful enough, try to focus on a single aspect of your quest; character development? dialogues? gameplay? world-building? In time you will get better with the rest but you need SOMETHING to attract your players.

>Don't overly on rolls for everything, it will slow your momentum and can eventually kill your quest if you dont have enough players

>Leave the usual link blurp in your second post, the OP should have a brief summary of your quest.

I am no master QM but i hope these will help to get going, anon.
>>
File: fvf.jpg (97 KB, 1099x800)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
posting more image prompts
>>
File: 915909.jpg (627 KB, 1920x1080)
627 KB
627 KB JPG
>>
>>3357128
>overly rely
>>
>>3357018
>If one anon tries to make the pacifist go in a murder spree for no reason and no justification whatsoever, tell them no

I sure know a QM who would do well to follow this advice.
>>
>>3356678
>>3357080
Now this is the sort of advice John Wick would give and has actually given. The John Wick I'm talking about is a GM the is known for two things: being an asshole and being one of the best GM around. Hell he made it one of his goals in one of his campaigns to not kill a single character but rather to utterly destroy them.
>>
>>3357309
can you elaborate on that? because i've read the books and both examples although have dabbled on his books, they have the opposite goal. and the the core of his ideas aren't bad per se, but their execution are horrible
>>
>>3357521
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/64923016
How would you rate this as a setting? If you liked it, would you run a quest in it?
>>
>>3357527
Whoops, didn't mean to reply to that
>>
>>3357527
Personally I'm not a fan of inserting modern celebrities in quests.
>>
>>3357527
I think the general concept is interesting, but the "famous people" part of "famous people are immortal and have a superpower" turns me off. If it were OC characters I'd be more receptive.
>>
>>3357527
To me, it looks like a low-effort shitpost at worst, but best case scenario is "hurr durr wat if deez celebs were ackchually godzses," which doesn't seem compelling as a story at all, serving only to put already iconic people on an even higher pedestal. It doesn't look like so much a setting as just a veritable "stat me" thread, but instead of game mechanics it's deification.
Modern-themed fantasy is all right with me. Alternate reality Earth with real world figures copy-pasted in (as gods or otherwise) seems like a cop-out, and while isn't by definition fanfiction, is on a similar level. As far as "gods walking amongst men," in general I dislike this due to the belief that gods should not be an understandable force; they should be intangible, unknowable.

This is all subjective, however, and you're all welcome to enjoy what you like.
>>
>>3357521
>execution is horrible
His Champion campaign is what I was talking about. In Play Dirty he talks about how he made it his goal to destroy the characters rather than outright kill them and he did it by looking for weak points in the characters themselves. Like for example there was one character with a grandmother that hated the character's superhero alter ego so the villain set it up so that the grandmother would see the hero with her mask off (which caused the grandmother to have a heart attack and die) which led to the character retiring. The goal of this isn't to make the player quit though, rather he was just knocking character down and was giving the player the choice of whether or not the character would get up and persevere. This eventually led to villian (who was responsible everything bad that happened) being caught because one of the players was willing to have their character die because of their principles.
In the end John Wick achieved his actual goals which was to make the characters struggle, he got the players to actually work together properly, he (eventually) got players that didn't simply give up when SHTF and persevered against all odds to succeed. I think he executed the campaign pretty well if he got what he intended.
>>
>>3357309
>>3357521
The thing with John Wick's approach, and many others, is that some tools work for some GMs with some players.
And, for any singular instance of any game, everybody has got to get on the same page.

For quest worldbuilding, the QM either sets the world and guides the players towards it or follows the players to what they think the world is like.
>>
>>3357880
The thing is, John Wicks advice works especially well for quests here, due to the random anonymity of the players and the fact that they are usually only controlling one PC.

Strategic battles and such are vote swamps that slow combat to a crawl, and the mechanics of 3d20 are laughable at best.

So it's better to focus on narrative conflict with dice used more for resolutions than a lot of crunchy mechanics.

And be prepared to have a thread with random anons changing the direction of the quest entirely.

Communication helps a lot though, getting the QM and the players on the same side.
>>
Who is this John Wick person? I feel lost here
>>
File: Play Dirty.pdf (2.68 MB, PDF)
2.68 MB
2.68 MB PDF
>>3357851
>His Champion campaign is what I was talking about.
Ah, the DNPC example.
I read that one and i still believe that was a pretty bad execution of the idea.
I mean, he literally encouraged everyone to be murderhobos with no family or close friends. That's not healthy for the game and sets a bad precedent. Why care about DNPCs if you are going to use them against me? why care about collateral damage if you are going to put me into jail either way? why worry about the civilians if they are going to hate me regardless?

>he got the players to actually work together properly, he (eventually) got players that didn't simply give up when SHTF and persevered against all odds to succeed.
Like i said before, his ideas aren't bad, the problem is that the execution of most of them were too extreme -although in the context of the game and the examples he used they made sense-, but unless your players are masochists or know beforehand about the difficulty of the game "hey guys, just so you know, this quest will be hard and i will drag you trough the mud on every chance i get", they will not return.

>>3357959
>Communication helps a lot though, getting the QM and the players on the same side.
Basically this. Talk to them if they are feeling cheated. Maybe lower the difficulty temporarily and then slowly raise it again. The idea isn't to actively drive away the players, specially if you are a beginner.

>>3357981
check >>3357309's spoiler and this is the book that we're talking about.
>>
>>3357128
Listen to snail. He gained his clout QUICKLY for a new qm post-separation. You've come a long way since School Quest. I'm happy for you.
>>
qwg, would you play a nature/biology/survival of the fittest quest? Like Watership Down or something (even if it's fantasy)?
>>
>>3358138
Yeah. Watership Down’s one of my favourite novels. A basic nature type quest, while basic, would still be fun.
>>
File: 1544730482390.jpg (115 KB, 464x480)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>3357018
>horror survival quest

Speaking of horror, I've been reading, well listening to mostly, to what I like to call ''location creepypastas'' like Accounts from a lonely broadcast station and Tales from the gas station especially. To those unfamiliar with them they basic premise is some guy working in a desolate location accompanied by his group of friends/co-workers (usually begins with protag being on their own) which just so happens to mysteriously be a center of paranormal activity

Would anyone be interested in a quest with this premise? I'm just brainstorming ideas at this point
>>
>>3358138
i don't really know what that would entail, but sounds interesting.
>>
I ran a fanfiction quest a few years ago and tried to extend or reframe the setting into something original. I'm a little attached to what came out and want to run another quest in that 'sort of fanfiction sort of not' setting that resulted. Should I be open with the setting's fanfiction origins or should I just say it's all mine?
>>
>>3358292
Just tell them. Not like anyone’s going to hold it against you, and if you’ve altered it so much that you don’t think people would recognize it for what it originally was, then it probably won’t matter too much. Everything’s inspired by the things that came before it, after all.
>>
>>3358138
Sounds fun. Will the characters be humans or animals?
>>
>>3358292
You can tell them it's inspired by another story but I don't think anyone will mind if you don't.
>>
>>3358192
DO IT! The forest ranger creepypastas are fucking awesome.
>>
File: 1c48hvepa_1515984616193.png (788 KB, 848x1450)
788 KB
788 KB PNG
>>3354159
>Tief
Tiefs are horned folk, commonly called goatpeople as some have famously wandered capriciously and without real rhyme or reason. Not so much an anthropomorphic goat as much as they are a human with goat characteristics. They have strong backs, necks, and horns, and builds vary from small and frail to seven feet tall goliaths. They're autistic and have a very weak grip on life, holding things to little true value. This makes them fearless warriors, but also a huge hassle to command as they require constant oversight and orders. Depending on how they live, they might do nothing they haven't been told to do, or do things for no real reason. They're hated the civilized world because they're apt to go doing random things, from trespassing to mass murders to theft, without even thinking, only trying to fill some hole in their minds. Tief society is scarcely held together by prodigial tief savants, who rule as Druids, and their appointed Warchief, who both manage day to day life of their villages, from food, weapons, and social matters.
A Birchman is a subrace of a tief, of black and white complexion. These wraiths are inhabitants of the birchwood, and take more from elk than goats.
>Carapacian
An extremely dimorphic race of bugs of various colors, characterized by exoskeletons. The common carapacian is a 3-5 foot humanoid ant, but there are ten foot tall beetlefolk, giant centipede worms, and more. They use various unique materials for equipment, such as crystalline bismuth and Oricalchum. They have the capacity to be very adorable, but just as often are they pitch-black voids with beady eyes. They are famously shy yet incredibly curious, making them unknown to the sunkist world. Except the dwarves. The dwarves love the little buggers. Their curiosity had led the Carapacians to have dug tunnels across the seas, a feat that's important because seamonsters limit travel.

And that's all that's been in my quest so far.
>>
>>3358292
Nobody's going to be hard on fanfiction. If anything, you'll have a harder time if you claim it as OC.
>>
>>3358705
Oh, hey Mojique, fancy seeing you here. Been enjoying your quest.
>>
>>3358705
What's the name of your quest?
>>
File: YT81V0K.jpg (2.04 MB, 1600x8755)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
Has anyone ever tried a multigenerational quest spanning centuries? Or is that too ambitious for this medium?
>>
>>3358811
that can work only if you post in a regular manner several times per week. Otherwise i don't think you'll be able to pass one single generation without severely glossing over the life of your characters.
>>
>>3358782
https://fiction.live/stories/Iron-A-Tief-s-Quest/fSu8BbLHw3nHQfnXn/Twilight/3c9mzdZeCivKXMjNn
Fair warning, I've been writing very, very slowly recently.
>>
>>3358811
A while ago I was planning a quest that would start you as the king of Troy. Basically you get your shit kicked in at every turn and when you inevitably die the players chose which one of the king's children to take over. Every time you carve out your little comfy kingdom you get Diabolus ex Machina'd. It would be like a chaotic Crusader Kings with luck at -100.
>>
>>3358811
It'd be doable, I think, but you'd need to invest an enormous amount of time into it.
>>
>>3358811
This is exactly what I wanted to acomplish with my quest. Basically following the MC and his child(ren) as their dynasty carves out a kingdom. Lots of themes involving cyclicality, fate vs. determinism, sins of the fathers, etc. etc. Unfortunately I keep getting side-tracked by IRL stuff.

I can give some advice depending on the kind of quest you're going for though. You can learn from my mistakes.
>>
Hey guys so I had this idea for a setting. Basically all goes to shit on Earth so everything
gets sunk underwater, and the only way to survive is to be in a aircraft/hovercraft above it.
Meanwhile, aliens come from space- of all shapes and sizes- to take shelter on Earth cuz
space is getting raided. You work for an organization that's trying to prevent them from
killing each other, so you end up visiting various alien ships and learning about each of their
cultures- all while raising qtie fuckhead yotsubato. Ask me shit so I know what to flesh
out.
>>
>>3359167
>Space is getting raided
All of space is fleeing from the same thing and hiding on our little blue dot, from WHAT
>>
>>3359167
...so basically you have waterworld mashed up with MIB and the main character would have a child to take care of?

ok, fine.

I think the main questions here is why do the aliens decide to settle up on earth from all places when they could have easily do so in any other place or in orbit? And why is earth shielded from this space raid when everyone is basically making a beeline towards it?
>>
>>3359196
Terrifying space motherfuckers. Earth has a big ass energy shield, so they want in.
>>
>>3359210
>so basically you have waterworld mashed up with MIB and the main character would have a child to take care of
Hell yeah

The universe is getting frozen. Sounds retarded if you consider space, but this kind of frost? It's the real shit. Earth has a shield that prevents niggas from raiding East Side and protects it from getting frozen. It's shielded because Flava Flav was writing a song and accidentally found out the universe was going to collapse fifty years from now, so we were prepared.
>>
>>3359231
and what's gonna be the main focus of the quest? the relationship between the kid and the MC, the different aliens interacting with each others or something completely different?
>>
>>3359268
Nah, you landed it. Different cultures show different styles. That sets up the field for raising the kid. You go from ship to ship, following your orders, as the kid grows and shit happens- the kind you see on TV. It's meant to be totally comfy, despite the grimness.
>>
>>3359274
ok, if you plan to go on that way, id recommend you to completely ditch the idea that the aliens are being persecuted, because its gonna be stealing the show or its not gonna matter at all. Just have them arrive on earth because of tourism,(fun fact, its DAMN RARE to have the solar eclipses we have and in such reliable manner) or don't explain it because at the end of they day it won't really matter that much.
>>
So, I have been getting the itch to run a quest again. I only ran FanFic shit, but I kind of want to create a world that could be the setting for a fighting game... The thing is, I'm torn between a Post-Apocalypse-but-Rebuilt kind of vibe (Similar to the Hokuto no Ken: Lost Paradise videogame or older Guilty Gear games) or just my take on a "Traditional" sleazy, vaguely 1980's-ish city full of super-powered people of all shapes & sizes.

Thoughts?
>>
>>3359327
Not bad at all, but that would kill the whole difference/tolerance stuff I'm aiming to fuck with. Once inside Earth, the aliens aren't being persecuted. Their ships are safe- the very few that make it- except from each other. That leaves me room for both lil girl stuff /and/ alien tourism, but the war atmosphere has to stay or the organization would be pointless.
>>
>>3359336
I should probably add a tripcode, as my user ID changes all of the damn time.
>>
>>3359336
Hokuto No Ken World would take some research to be laudable, but do it well and it becomes interesting. KOF 98's world would be easy- and let you focus on the story and guys. Imho, I'd love an HnK world with big bets going on, but thats cuz im a drama junkie.
>>
>>3359345
HnK World would basically be a tale of the MC trying to travel from various City-States as part of an underground "Tour" of fighters whilst getting into all kinds of side-stories.

KOF 98/Fatal Fury World would basically be something like every cheesy 80's Anime OVA, with the MC getting caught up either with the BBEG's faction or with the government-backed agency tasked with researching just WTF is going on. That reminds me, I need to re-watch shit like Twin Peaks again to get the surrealist touch to stuff and revelations'n'shit.
>>
>>3359340
Fair enough.
Personally i'd change how the quest is being pitched: instead of saying that the entirety of space is being raided by some mean motherfuckers, i'd say that earth is the only safe haven for any fleeing alien race. In that way you remove the spotlight from the war, the impenetrable shield and basically the stuff that i assume you don't want to explain in detail, and it allows you focus on the main character while at the same time keeping the themes you want to develop.
>>
>>3359374
Yeah I fully agree. I want the lore stuff to be optional so the focus falls on all the psychological stuff, and that works. Dunno how many anons will be interested cuz there won't be fights or rolls or any of that, and the worst you can get is fired lol.
>>
I had this idea for a quest but I'm not sure if people would be interested. so I think this would be a good place to share it. this is the basic idea.

Changeling:verum mendax est scriptor

it has been 7 years since the failed changeling invasion of canterlot. it that time 99.83% of all changeling have been wiped out. what is left of the Changeling race barely clings to life deep within the forsaken hayseed swamps. In a long-forgotten cavern, a magic portal to a different version of the world is found. they know must explore this strange new world while trying to keep what is left of there people from being discovered by there enemy.
>>
>>3359231
You had me interested, then you posted this.
>>
>>3359482
lol why
>>
>>3359426
>canterlot
wait is this an mlp thing
>>
>>3359601
Judging from “Hayseed swamp”, I’d say probably.
>>
>>3359492
>"niggas," all these tryhard ebonics, the fate of the universe accidentally learned by some no-talent hack like "flava flav"
Sounds pretty lolrandum, but that's my subjective opinion. You do you.

>>3359611
>ponyshit outside /mlp/
No, please no. No, please be joking. Not on /qst/, not when there's already so much bad fanfiction.
>>
>>3359374
This
Anytime the world or lore might pull focus from the actual quest, especially if it is underdeveloped and might not make sense under scrutiny, I find it better to leave it vague and simply share what's necessary for the quest.
>>
>>3359763
Not every quest needs to be gritty serious. Lolrandum and mlp is fine too if they have players.
>>
>>3358916
Oh I'm not writing. I was just curious if any QM has tried worldbuilding on an epic scale.
>>
>>3359167
Have you watched District 9? It's got one of the best depictions of alien refugees imo.
>>3359212
>>3359231
I think it'll be better if instead of one big threat, you make it a war between different alien races. Earth is safe because we stayed out of the conflict.
>You work for an organization that's trying to prevent them from killing each other
It can be that the alien refugees now have to live with the same aliens who destroyed their home planet and there's still hostility between different races.
>>
>>3359274
Maybe you can make the kid an alien orphan. Her parents were killed in the war. And she was adopted by the hardboiled human MC since she had no one else. Just an idea to make the aliens more relatable.
>>
>>3359336
Never watched Hokuto no Ken but I'm all in 1980s arcade fighters. Actually early 90s fighters tbqh. King of fighters and all that shit. Maybe make one of the stages post-apolyptical if you are too attached to Hokuto no Ken.
>>
>>3359426
I know nothing about mlp but the premise sounds solid
>>
How does qwg feel about a resistance fighter quest?
Setting is a small country invaded by a highly aggressive but democratic neighbour. Should I focus more on the fighting or the political struggle?
>>
>>3359856
Focus on the human element. Camaraderie among the fighters, horrors of war, PTSD etc
>>
>>3359794
> What the fuck is a yellow dragon

Ayup. Sometimes it can even be fun.
>>
>>3354159
I don't do many different races, more like different philosophies and values. I'm too lazy to bother to write genuinely alien perspectives.

But if anyone gives a shit, I have some worldbuilding I plan to use later here

> https://pastebin.com/gy4ZsWYv

Continued here

> https://pastebin.com/Z4dCJ37v

My favorite are the Halflings.

Halflings: Nobody knows where they came from, or what the other half is. They tend to be found inside each races cities, taking on the characteristics of whatever race they live with. They also abstain from politics, international or otherwise. While active in their local communities, they seem to be unusually uninterested in Halfling groups from other cities, or even other parts of the cities that they live in. They fill peculiar odds and ends, with individual Halfling communities seeming to pick one profession or trade and to specialize in it. Despite many accusations throughout history, and even the occasional pogrom or outright genocide, no secret over-arching organization between Halfling groups has ever been found. This is only evidence of how widespread the conspiracy is, some claim, and that they have taken over the top levels of government. Other theories that they are a magical experiment gone weird, or that their race is suffering from a curse from one of the gods, or that they are secretly reptilian shapeshifters from another world infiltrating ours for invasion abound but nobody knows for sure except the Halflings. When questioned, the Halflings seem unable or unwilling to acknowledge any difference between them and their neighbours insisting that they're "Just like yurrself, guv'" I can't do a cockney accent, but that's how they talk, each and every goddamn one of them. That, plus the fact that they're on average about half as tall as the other races, make their claims of being just like whoever is questioning them rather ridiculous. While not as many as Elves, Halflings have more than average magic users almost exclusively either Warriors or Psions. Occasional Halfling Enclaves will have Ritualist commmunes within themselves, that are often-times so strange that ritualists from other races are still debating if they aren't an entirely new way of utilizing Will. Different types of Magic users are never found in the same Enclave.
>>
>>3359865
Yellow dragon?
>>
File: 5plqRTF_d.jpg (283 KB, 640x2993)
283 KB
283 KB JPG
>>3359917
Old /tg/ screencap about a terrible but fun campaign.
>>
>>3359992
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/17120844
>>
>>3359997
A classic.

A great example for people on how to have fun playing.
>>
>>3358811
I know of at least one, or rather several large connected quests, but I'm not sure you will be interested in this particular case.
It has smut. Lots and lots and lots of smut. Mostly smut, even.
>>
>>3359763
In-world nobody is sure about how it happened so they make silly shit up (like that one), but the in-world reality is as hard as it gets.
>>3359824
I've pounded that idea for a good while before, but I can't have that kid be relatable because she's too smart- her drawback is that she's a clueless blank slate, open to any lie. So she's an ancient alien that morphed to survive on Earth, that instead of becoming a massive monster went with the puppy strategy.
Gonna watch District 9. Nice feedback in this thread.
>>3359856
Human element and politics. You'd get a HUGE contrast lol.
>>
>>3359794
>he doesn't like pony fuckers and lolrandum nigshit, he must be on the other extreme and like only gritty grimdark because that's the only other option!
I can set up strawmen too; it's pretty easy.
>>
>>3360171
Strawmen are for arguments.
I don't think anybody is really arguing.
We're just discussing worldbuilding here.
>>
>>3359851

thanks for the feedback

>>3359763
.I know the global rules, but this is a world-building thread and I am looking for feedback about the premise.
>>
>>3360219
You can always change the ponies to something else (like I dunno, fairies?) if there's a global rule against them. I agree with the other guy that the premise sounds good.
>>
>>3360282
It is a little late to change the setting I've cooked up powers/ racial characteristics for changelings. I just need to boons and debuffs that come with using them.

that and /mlp/ does not have dice rolling support.
>>
I have a question about combat system for my quest.
I tried two of them, and one of them is acceptable but I don't feel it's good enough. I looked at other quests, like WARLORD, and it feel closer to what I want, but I fear it might be too much for my own quest, as fighting isn't really the focus.

Should I just make players roll one time against me for the result of a fight ? Or try to find a better system ?
>>
has anyone tried a dice-free quest?

>>3358102
thank you anon.
>>
>>3360419
At that point wouldn't it just be a no rules roleplay?
>>
>>3360425
what i meant was a choice-heavy quests where outcome does not rely on RNG.
>>
>>3360419
I've never run one, though I recall seeing them done. They're alright, though not really my cup of tea, I'd say. Ruby Quest was one, wasn't it? At least, I don't recall any dice being rolled.

>>3360425
Eh. I'd say it's still a quest, just a little more limited in scope, as the outcomes of the actions the players choose are predetermined by the QM, rather then rolled for.
>>
>>3360431
I get it, like a choose your own adventure story.
>>
so I have this list of powers and Characteristics and I'm struggling to assign cost and benefits to them. I plan to use a 1d100 dice system. any thoughts or Ideas?

characteristics
exoskeleton-- all changeling has a black chitinous exoskeleton in their natural form. it offers them more protection than other creatures.

Fangs--large intimidating canines that could easily cripple an unarmored creature if used correctly.

emotivore/omnivore --changelings must consume both the emotional energy of other creatures in order to survive and replenish their mana and physical food to nourish their body's. Should a changeling be unable to feed for an extended amount of time they will die. a changeling can feed on emotions in two ways passive feeding where they draw on the ambient positive emotions of nearby creatures, the second drain harvesting in which a creature is drained all positive emotions leaving them husks of their former selves.

emotions--changelings despite popular belief do have emotions, however, they cannot feed on one another. they can feed on all positive emotions while love is the most nutrient-rich any positive emotion will have some nutritional value. on the other hand, negative emotions are harmful to them. hate in large enough quantities can and will poison a changing

powers
shapeshifting-assume the physical form and characteristics of another species at the cost of ongoing mana drain its slow but over time it will add up

telepathy -- most other races assume that changelings are unified by a single hive mind. this, however, is simply not true. all changelings are by nature telepathic they can sense and contact one another but are all still unique individuals.

Changeling goo-- it can be used for anything, literally anything its abuilding material, a healing salve, restraints for prisoners.

Telekinesis-- move objects with your magic, but remember the larger the object the greater the mana drain

Magic blast-- gathering mana into the horn and releasing it in a focused beam that can blast through most non-magical reinforced material. this requires a moderate amount of mana.

Magic barrier -- a barrier made of pure mana, depending on how much power you put into the spell it can stop anything from an arrow to magic blast. likewise, the mana drain also depends on how much you put into it.

Enthrallment-- for all changelings the power to control other beings’ minds comes naturally however only the most powerful can do so for any appreciable amount of time, it also incurs a continuous mana drain.

fire portals-- unlike unicorns changelings cannot teleport as they do. they must create an entry portal and exit portal to move through. however, do to the near-crippling mana drain only the most powerful of changelings can use this spell.
>>
>>3360419
See Valen Quest for example. Or Nothing Short of a Miracle.
>>
>>3360189
Whatever rose implying I meant something I didn't is called, it doesn't make it right.
I just expressed my opinions, and apparently that's enough reason to put words in my mouth.

>>3360219
Why would you want to discuss something that you aren't going to be able to run here? Never mind that it's a show for little girls that zoophiles/pedophiles like to jerk off to, it seems foolish to discuss something on this board that isn't going to make it on this board.
>>
>>3360419
>has anyone tried a dice-free quest?
Yep.
Worked well.
It was a one-shot with heavy visual, "wat do?" format with a lot of expected responses pre-written.
My next serious quest will also be diceless, with (hopefully) strategic choices with predetermined directions based on choices made.
>>
>>3360405
If your quest isn't combat focused, you can stick to 3D20 or 3D100. That's what most QMs do unless they have their own homebrew system. I'd advice against complex mechanics if your players aren't used to it.
>>
what would a travelling merchant quest based on escaping war/famine/pestilence entail? High, low or no fantasy?
>>
>>3360376
I think there are 3rd party dice roll tools you can use.
You can also run on other questing websites. Fiction.live or questionable questing if NSFW, Spacebattles or Sufficient Velocity if SFW.
Wherever you run, good luck with your quest.
>>
>>3360405
Instead of rolling one time, give them multiple options. Like slash, parry, dodge, counter etc. Make the players roll for every action. You can use HP too but I'm not personally a fan.
>>
>>3361005
High fantasy- different races will place different values on different items. Say there's a famine in the elven kingdom, rare gemstones will be worth less than potatoes. Now the halflings have a lot of potatoes but no weapons. The dwarves have lots of weapons but want gemstones. The traveling merchant can buy low and sell high for profit.
>>
>>3361005
Things to consider for low or no fantasy- 1. medieval roads were awful, 2. number of bandits increased in times of war, 3. coin wasn't universally accepted in rural villages and barters were more common.
>>
>>3361005
Land based or water based?
>>
>>3361147
land
>>3361086
the MC would be another victim of whatever catastrophe barely managing to scrape by not a predatory opportunistic (at least for the early game)
i am thinking of both skills affecting their trade (bluffing, haggling, identifying what is valuable...etc) and their survival/resource gathering . this will probably over complicate things.
>>
>>3361178
Still, I'd ask myself, what's our endgame here? Otherwise, this sounds more like a text-based tycoon game - which, no doubt, can be a lot of fun as well.

But, giving the players/mc a goal to work towards might put everything into perspective. That could be anything from amassing enough wealth to hire enough adventurers to defeat the looming evil, to taking mcguffin x to location y in time-frame t, where trading facilitates our travels.
>>
>>3361178
What if the catastrophe is a plague? The merchant is diseased too and needs rare medicines to survive. You can use a system where his skills deteriorate the longer he goes without his medicine. The endgame can be finding a permanent cure for the plague.
>>
>>3361197
i would say it is tied to the character selected. Wealth and fortunate is a rather bland but acceptable end game.

May be he/she is an expansionist at heart, they will never stop until they have seamlessly endless caravans. May he/she is an spy in guise freely roaming the lands of his enemies and likewise.
>>3361210
also acceptable
>>
File: Golem Wax.png (348 KB, 430x944)
348 KB
348 KB PNG
>>
File: 1504276248-night-king.jpg (154 KB, 1600x900)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
Does your quest have a BBEG? Tell us about him/her/it.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.