[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/qst/ - Quests

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
Draw Width Height
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).
  • There are 15 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

All work safe boards are now on the 4channel.org domain. Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

There's now a setting option under Navigation to display the full list of boards on 4channel.org

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

File: Village map.jpg (174 KB, 1024x562)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
You are Gorgon Rag, three months from 18 winters and lowest born of the illustrious house of Rag. Three weeks ago, the untimely (and rather suspicious by your accounts) death of your father, led to the territories of his small kingdom to be parceled out to his sons. As lowest born of three inheritors, you received a title to an obscure, nameless plot in the borderlands. All things considered, your father was quite generous, as usually the lowest born receives a one-way, all expenses paid, trip to the monastery, and more often, not even that much.

You like to think your father was fond of you, but looking now at the savage glade, the little dirt road overrun with years of accumulated vegetation, you're beginning to wonder if a trip to the monastery wouldn't have been more merciful. As it stands, you could not remain in your father's house, your eldest brother, Glangon Rag, has been overcome with the kind of insanity which often takes the recently alighted to power. His very first act as overlord was to throw his own wife and first born into the dungeon. Needless to say, you and your second brother, Gusgon Rag, fled the estate before your brother's disease could make designs against you. Out of sight, out of mind, as the saying goes and you are indeed out of sight here...

In your youth you were:
>A studious pupil of your father's modest library. You listened more than you spoke and learned all you could from the various stewards, merchants, spies and scholars that frequented the castle.
>A roughhouser and gallivanter, preoccupying yourself with fighting and drinking and staged fights with your father's soldiers.
>A proper lord, engaging in all the prim and posture of court behavior. You sharpened your wit against the barbed tongues of the wandering minstrels and learned from them the subtle art of seduction which you exercised on the hapless village girls (even some noblewomen) to great effect.

This is a first-person civ-like quest in the vein of Dwarf Fortress. You will control the leader of a small fortress and try to survive against the numerous threats lurking at its borders. Things will be kept very small scale (maximum a few hundred souls in the fortress) to keep things manageable. "Rules" of the quest will be supplied as they come up.
>>
>Studious Pupil

Being a good administration is a must for any Fortress.
>>
>>3085097
>A studious pupil

Dwarf Fortress we dead yet or what?
>>
>A studious pupil of your father's modest library. You listened more than you spoke and learned all you could from the various stewards, merchants, spies and scholars that frequented the castle.
>>
>>3085097
>>
>>3085105
>>3085109
>>3085111
>>3085122
>Neeeeeeerd
Writing.
>>
In your youth you were a studious pupil, spending most of your time in your father's modest library. You listened much more than you spoke and learned all you could from the various stewards, merchants, spies and scholars that frequented the castle. Such keen mental focus led to the unfortunate decay of your physique and you are something of a dotard, sickly and pale as a corpse.

But what you've lost in muscle mass, you've gained in insight, intellect and ingenuity. Few are the problems you cannot solve, few your own age that could better you in knowledge or wisdom. You seem to have both the constitution and intelligence of a man thrice your age, it remains to be seen how they will serve you here.

You brought with you a half-dozen peasants to serve as laborers and also, in your infinite prudence (choose two):

>A small squad of veteran soldiers
>A skilled laborer (with your choice in skill)
>Extra supplies and food
>A rag of horses and some livestock
>Stone and lumber to use as building materials
>>
>>3085166
>>
>>3085166
>A rag of horses and some livestock
>>
>>3085166
>Extra supplies and food
>>
File: 2xqRV4h.png (918 KB, 1050x593)
918 KB
918 KB PNG
>>3085189
>>3085195
>>3085207

Along with the two oxen to pull your cart you also brought with you three goats, a pair of milk-ready cows and a rag of four horses, currently carrying four of your father's soldiers the only ones that deigned to come with you into this madness.

"This is the spot, m'lord? This?" Says Visil, the de facto leader of the soldiers, a sturdy, broad-shouldered man with a strangely gaunt face, whose cheeks look as hollowed out as a victim of famine. His eyes are surveying the surroundings in apparent disgust. You have the map spread out in front of you--a map you've been updating yourself as you've moved further and further from its knowledge--and checking your compass, triangulate your position.

"It is this, such as it is." You say. Visil spits out the side of his mouth and then whistles, gesturing silently with his finger to the other men, to form a perimeter.

"Right then! You lot unload the carts. You and you, start working on a fire and a meal. The rest of you gather some firewood and get started on shelter." Says Visil. The peasants grumble to their tasks as you fold up the map and return it to your satchel. In all likelihood you'll be sleeping in the cart again tonight, as you've done for the past week. How you miss the soft beds of the Raghouse! "I'll scout around a bit, shall I m'lord?" Says Visil, interrupting your laments.

>No, you need him to stay here for extra protection. There's no telling what might be out here.
>Yes, it'll be good to get the lay of the land as soon as possible
>>
>>3085253
>Yes, it'll be good to get the lay of the land as soon as possible.
>>
>>3085253
>>
>>3085253
>>
>>3085258
>>3085262
>>3085263

"Yes, yes. Return before dark and all that." You say, waving your hand. It has not escaped your attention that Visil considers himself something of a governor among your peasants. Even the short display that just passed, he did not once look in your direction, neither for guidance nor even permission. But in fact you don't mind this, and actually consider it a boon as you yourself do not possess the proper "frame of command" (as Gusgon was fond of saying) to impose your will.

If you've learned anything from your father's court, its the value of delegation. Let a man take as much responsibility as he's able to handle, better to grant it even, for then you also have their good will and gratitude for what they themselves provide you. Visil whistles again to his men, alerting them to his departure and then rides off between the trees.

You break for a short meal in the cart and take out your map again. The nearest human settlement is almost fifty miles away: Tanek, a fairly well-established bordertown held up by the numerous farms outside its walls. It is close enough for trade, but not so close that it can be depended upon in emergencies.

And as if by dread premonition, a shrill cry pierces the air followed by the scattering of feet and shouting. A peek out the front of the cart reveals the source of the distress: a half-dozen of humanoid-dog like creatures, kobolds, are ransacking your stores. One group is making a beeline for the cart itself, and the other is trying to loosen ropes around the goats and make off with them.

Your soldiers are already closing in on the monsters, spears ready beneath them.

>Roll 1d20
>>
Rolled 3 (1d20)

>>3085342

now that was fast
>>
Rolled 20 (1d20)

>>3085342
>>
>>3085373
No more rolling.
>>
File: 018.jpg (31 KB, 512x512)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>3085373
>>
Oh my, those rolls.
Liking the quest and votes so far fellows.
>>
File: kobold.jpg (39 KB, 564x797)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>3085373

It is well you brought these men with you. It was initially a hotly contested matter, at least internally. Logistically, soldiers are little more than extra mouths to feed that are also rowdy and reluctant to labor, but guessing at the dangers so far from the reach of civilization you deemed them not only necessary but indispensable.

And they prove their merits here. The group of kobolds that rush toward your cart do not make it even half way before they are cut off by a volley of spears. They attempt to stand and regroup with the first group, but the horseman expertly cut off their escape, circling both groups in pairs and striking at them with their wooden clubs. One soldier in particular, Rudvam, you think his name is, a deep-eyed youth with long golden hair tied around his head like a crown, manages to take out three of the kobolds with such brutality, breaking their limbs and necks by the force of his blows, that the rest scatter and flee for their lives.

Rudvam gives chase to them, while the rest round up the lone survivor of his onslaught. He returns a moment later and in that same moment so does Visil. The peasants are mostly safe, nothing more serious than a scare and a scratch.

"Did you get the rest?" Says Visil, to Rudvam. Rudvam mops his forehead with the back of his palm and shakes his head.

"They hid. I couldn't see them."

"You couldn't see them." Visil says.

"No." Says Rudvam, and, as if emphasizing that to be questioned in such a manner was an irredeemable insult and would not go unanswered if pursued further, he lifts his wooden club and places it between his lap, letting the blood run off from it to the flanks of his horse. There is a tense silence that lasts about twenty seconds, then Visil spits from the side of his mouth and turns his attention (and it seems, his rage) to the prisoner.

"Tie him over there." He gestures to a tree and dismounts. "Back to work, you lot. And keep an eye out, there's more of them out there." He glances at Rudvam at this last remark and the latter sniffs sharply, as though about to sneeze, and rides away with a sour look.

"I wish you wouldn't antagonize our soldiers Visil. We don't exactly have the luxury to entertain desertion." You say, joining him to interrogate the prisoner.

"M'lord you've got be firm. And if that...child, thinks of deserting, I'll rive him shoulder to shoulder." Visil speaks with no small measure of conviction, yet having just seen Rudvam's ferocity, you're not sure conviction is enough.

"I pray it does not come to that." You say.

The kobold's arms and legs have been bound behind him to the tree, so that he is forced to stand. He whips his doggish face from the treeline to the soldiers to you and Visil, occasionally struggling against his bonds and growling.

"Are they feral?" Says Visil.

"I've never seen one. They're supposed to be intelligent. As much as men." You say.

1/2
>>
>>3085873
"Not very then." Says Visil. "Speak if you have speech." He pats the side of the kobold's snout. The kobold lets out a series of slow, melodious whines. Something approximating a language, or perhaps just the cries of a creature in pain.

"Well so much for diplomacy." Says Visil, unsheathing his sword. It's clear he just wants the final word on his earlier argument and will carve it into this creature's body in proxy.

>Let him, and put the bodies somewhere they can deter future invaders
>Don't let him, you have another use for the prisoner [write-in]

Sorry for the delay dear anons, had to run an errand
>>
>>3085878
>Let him, and put the bodies somewhere they can deter future invaders
>>
>>3085878
>>Don't let him, you have another use for the prisoner [write-in]
"Killing it gains us nothing.
"Whereas, if the others return to free this one, we may yet finish them off. If they don't come or if it proves too troublesome, we can always kill it later. Just make certain that it's bound fast."

(There's probably another purpose we could bend it towards, but this is all I have at the moment.)
>>
>>3085923
Let's risk it.
>>
>>3085878
>Don't let him, you have another use for the prisoner [write-in]
Visil maybe Rudvam hit him too hard give him a second
Pull Visil to the side in case beast do understand our language
We could allow this beast escape and let it lead us to its lair do you think you could work with this?
>>
>>3085923
>>3085929
>>3085938

Visil takes a step back, warming his sword arm with slow and careful swings. You step between him and the kobold.

"M'lord?"

"I have a use for it." You say, raising your hands.

His eyes shrink into small points and his upper lip, which is adorned with an overhanging mustache begins to twitch. "What use? It doesn't speak, it's broken! Kill it and be done with it."

"The others may return for it, and if so, we can lay a trap. An ambush?"

"Nonsense. They're scared stiff and they won't be back. Step aside m'lord." He grabs your shoulder and pushes you away, raising his sword high above him. Again you step between him and the blow.

"Then, we release him."

"M'lord! Mercy is hardly--"

"It is not mercy, Visil, I mean that we follow him to his lair. As you yourself said, there are more of them, would it not be our advantage to know their numbers, where they hide?"

But Visil isn't willing to hear any of it, he pushes you aside again, this time shoving you hard enough that you lose your balance and fall. He raises his sword again, the kobold begins to whine as before.

"Visil! This is an order. I order you to not kill that kobold." You say, brushing the mud from your coat and standing up.

Visil freezes and slowly, as though his motions were not his own, his other hand comes off the sword and the sword drops to his side. He does not say anything to you as he passes but merely stomps away with an especially hateful look on his face.

Later, once Visil has calmed down, he explains that he spotted a river about a mile off that seems to go on from many miles north and south, perhaps all the way to the mountains that you can occasionally see through the trees and mist. The river is the first good news you've had all day. If you could clear out the land, dig out ditches and canals, it might not be impossible to set up farms. Nothing like the ones at Tanek of course, but enough to sustain you through winter.

That night, you take stock of your holdings. You have 6 six healthy, working peasants. None of them particularly skilled in any trade, but young enough to gain such expertise given time and training. In addition you have 4 experienced soldiers, well-trained in riding and mounted combat. Your livestock still comes to 3 goats, 2 steers and 2 milking cows. And you have 20 cuttles of foodstuffs, not including the 2 cuttles of seeds you bought at Tanek, which it now seems may be put to use after all (Visil chided you quite severely for selling the tack off one of the horses for it). That will last you 10 weeks, or about 2 months. You have but four months to winter and must ensure a 20 cuttle stockpile before that time, or the peasants and more importantly the soldiers, will starve.

1/2
>>
>>3086062
In addition to this, you have some tools and even two bars of silver that your second brother generously donated (and which you have kept hidden from everyone else). If necessary it can buy you another 10 cuttles of foodstuff though you were hoping to save it for more esoteric (that is, personal) purchases.

You write all this down in your journal but are soon interrupted by the call for the night's meal. Same as usual, dried fruits and meats in stew, which though it is a crude cuisine, is complained of by no one. During the meal, Rudvam approaches you asking about the prisoner. His manner is altogether different from this morning, very quiet and subdued, almost shy and much like yourself.

"I'd like to go, my lord." He says, right off.

"I'll speak to Visil and see if he'll take you--"

"No, my lord. Alone." He goes down to one leg and lowers his deep-set eyes to his hand, the palm resting open on his knee. "The more men there are...well does my lord not see it? Better one man. Me." He keeps his eyes bashfully on his cupped palm, as though it carried his gaze. "And it should be tonight! Let it be tonight, because-because the sky is clear and the creature will have less suspicion."

>This is foolishness, Visil has already acquiesced to the plan and will handle it all in the morning
>Let him go, he's the most skilled of the soldiers and this obviously has some personal significance for him
>>
>>3086067
Let him go alone. This is for scouting right?
>>
>>3086067
You lost track of multiple creatures in a day but you are sure that you keep up with one in a night?
I don't doubt your skill very impressive just, there is something more to it isn't it? What is it Rudvam?
>>
>>3086067
Let him go, but only if he can explain his urgency and zealousness, as well as convincingly assure us he will not recklessly seek to slay the beasts without regard to his safety or ours.

I'm not risking anything over "clear sky" and his bloodlust.
>>
>>3086106
>You lost track of multiple creatures in a day but you are sure that you keep up with one in a night?
Also this.
>>
poke
>>
>>3088531
Poke u
>>
>>3088934
no

poke U
>>
*pokes the quest with a stick*
>>
>>3090453
*pokes anon with penis*
>>
>>3090435

You beast!

Poke U!
>>
*pokes everyone and run away*
>>
come back QM I got something to poke you with
>>
We have turned very stupid havent we
>>
File: pathetic.png (41 KB, 227x205)
41 KB
41 KB PNG
>>3092017
>we
>>
File: 71FMVgWPAxL._SY550_.jpg (23 KB, 417x550)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>3092021
You poked with your dick you have no high ground.
>>
File: 1367645465270.jpg (125 KB, 984x629)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>>3092022
my massive intelligence transcends the physical limits of the cosmos to the extent that my dick poke may as well be the equivalent of being touched by a living gods

tremble ye meek and despair, for the day I poke u with my smart 'n mighty fuckin donger
>>
>>3092030
>"Can you show us on this doll where a living gods touched you?"
Yep. That sounds right.
>>
my penis is still ready for you, QM-san
>>
Dawn of the seventh day post abandonment.

Penis: ready.
>>
>>3101459
Abandonment is my fetish
>>
Don't think getting to page eight is gonna let ya escape, QM.

You could never escape this penis!

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.