[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/qa/ - Question & Answer

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 28 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

File: OBSCURE VIDEO GAMES.png (67 KB, 244x100)
67 KB
67 KB PNG
I was inspired by this thread >>2635740 to generate interesting discussion about something, so here goes. In this thread, talk about video games that are relatively unknown and/or wouldn't be given second thought on the larger video game boards, though mostly the former. Also, feel free to link to downloads of any games you happen to find (ex. https://archive.org/details/fancia).
>>
Any obscure video games released this decade are purely PC games, you just don't see mid-budget, low budget or obscure console gems like you would during the 6th console generation.
>>
>>>/vg/
make an obscure video game general there
>>
>>2636264
I dunno, there was some pretty (albeit unintentional) out-there shovelware that came out for the Wii and such. I will agree that most of the truly weird games that come out now are for PC, though.
>>2636270
You really think that board’s gonna care about such a subject?
>>
>>>>2636275
>>>/vg/246293024
>>
File: depthofobscurity.jpg (2.57 MB, 1500x3114)
2.57 MB
2.57 MB JPG
>>2636277
And at time of writing, it has fallen to page nine without any replies. Guess the thread's okay to stay here.
Guess I'll just post a basic guide in the meantime.
>>
It’s an interesting concept I tried one of the demos out and but couldn’t figure out the controls and just ended up getting arrested every time I got close to a school or house.
https://8gag.net/agdg/res/31931.html
>>
>>2636311
Is there a prison buttrape sequence after the arrest and trial?
>>
>>2636303
There were more real replies in the /vg/ thread then there are in this one, though.
>>
obligatory thecatamites link
http://harmonyzone.org/
so the question i have for people itt is: space funeral or goblet grotto?
>>2636658
lol wut? that thread only got up to three before dying
>>
>>2636872
Still more than this thread has.
>>
>>2636303
I would assume “obscure” would be defined as Gregor and below?
>>
>>2636872
Might try some if they work well with Wine.
>>
any favorites?
>>
>>2637950
I like Zineth, it's one of Arcane Kids's more seriously developed games and it's actually really fun - kinda like a more frantic Jet Set Radio.
>>
>>2636303
Everything from demon upwards is pretty norm
>>
File: dbts.jpg (19 KB, 226x266)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
I was thinking of playing Die By the Sword.
It's a sort of very early motion controlled game where you swing and turn your sword with the num pad or your mouse. Jankiest controls ever. You can hook up a wiimote with a script, what I want to do is compare the three methods to get a better idea of the limits of mouse controls. 'Cause you know, you can't do the cool shit VR does with a mouse and keyboard, as well as viceversa, so I'm looking for games that try out interesting things with the mouse like Arx Fatalis did.
Gayplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPm3R3eWtA4

I like OFF.

>>2636303
That's a weird chart, looks like it's very biased towards amateur or niche adventure games. The upper tiers are a mess.
>>
>>2638708
The primitive 3D graphics makes the faces look pretty weird.
>>
>>2638708
I agree that the chart is off; I wonder if anyone has made an updated version of it yet. I suppose I could when I have the time.
Also, Die by the Sword looks like it could be downright hilarious if you don’t take it seriously.
>>
>>2636311
>>
Not sure about how obscure each title in this is, but this playlist contains some reviews of lots of old abandonware and some other maybe less obscure games. Even so I think it's worth a watch or look at if your into finding obscure titles.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6PNZBb6b9Ltgl6WM5rn2pjrXd_qdit2S
>>
File: 1535394457490.jpg (104 KB, 616x353)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
Hate to /r/ but the thread's dead anyway. Anyone know where I can torrent acid trip related?
>>
File: output.webm (2.58 MB, 1024x768)
2.58 MB
2.58 MB WEBM
>>2637950
I spent far too long preparing this, but here's one of mine. Back when I was in school I didn't really play any video games, but this one I played the hell out of. It wasn't until Portal came around that I really started vidya, so any from before then are pretty nostalgic.

I got it on Reflexive Arcade (anyone remember that?), and after finding that I still had it, recently cracked it myself since reflexive long is gone.
Reflexive's protection is piss-weak, basic xor encryption of part of the executable. To crack it, I started up the game from the launcher, dumped the decrypted part from memory, and stitched it into the rest of the executable. No cracker even needed.
https://mega.nz/#!VotGgATL!1lxaXts96c6jPXn3OLkpZjdlJ0FBN1uvkh6Al0pIhR0
>>
File: ingame.webm (2.58 MB, 1024x768)
2.58 MB
2.58 MB WEBM
>>2640656
Reflexive Arcade was one of those services that allowed playing the full game for 60 minutes without purchase. Even after all time is depleted, it still gives an extra 2 minutes making this crack method foolproof. You can even just suspend the launcher from the resource monitor and play indefinitely without cracking. No wonder the service shut down.
>>
>>2639138
>Also, Die by the Sword looks like it could be downright hilarious if you don’t take it seriously.
agree with that impression
>>
>>2640656
>>2640663
Forgot to say, I'll be removing the link when the thread 404s. If you want to download it, even just for the sake of data preservation, do it before then. I have no idea if the other cracked copies are clean of not, but I can guarantee this one is.
>>
>>2640543
Literally the first reverse image search result lead me to a site that offered to "download it for free".
>>
>>2641248
I'm kind of wary of random links, but there are two seeders now so it's chugging along. For anyone who's interested:
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:c11b2ec201e65c45c5dc1bf5a6de824a067aea54&dn=Vangers+-+GOG&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fzer0day.ch%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969
>>
File: Capture.png (1.52 MB, 1035x800)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB PNG
Might as well bump with this before I sleep. I've been working on reverse engineering parts of the game to make an open source engine replacement, and the level files couldn't be easier to modify.
>>
File: 1552202151084.jpg (32 KB, 960x960)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>
>>2641444
Let it die is not that obscure
>>
File: 2219102-box_draglade.png (1.41 MB, 873x960)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB PNG
>>2638708
I tried playing this one didn't really get into it. Maybe next time. But hearing old PC games always interest me.

Also here's my pick.
>>
>>2639138
>>2640931
If it had wacky humor or was easier to control then it'd probably be fun, but playing through the tutorial was sluggish and the combat's hard. You can get killed in a couple of hits and near the beggining you get locked in with multiple enemies. I'll give it another go tomorrow, but the six different buttons for controlling the sword plus everything else for interacting and moving around aren't easy to get a hold of.
>>2641471
A rythm fighting game, that sounds really cool. Any idea if it's suitable for emulation?
>>
>>2641897
I think you could get away with emulating it. Personally I just used a flashcart
>>
Anyone get the game linked in the OP working? Every time I try to mount the disc, it just says it’s corrupt.
>>
>>2641440
cool
>>
>>2636303
lowest on the chart I've played was that cave text adventure game
>>
>>2641118
but how do we know we can trust you?
>>
File: Capture.png (108 KB, 928x700)
108 KB
108 KB PNG
>>2643242
You can't necessarily, but I can provide proof of how I cracked it, as well as the original files. I know you probably aren't looking for an answer to the question, but I might as well elaborate since I'm bored.
Pic related is the folder in which I cracked it.
Armada Tanks.exe, .exe.bak, and .exe.org are all identical copies of the launcher provided by reflexive.
The .RWG is the game itself, partially encrypted by reflexive's DRM. Armada Tanks Cracked.exe is the decrypted RWG, having been renamed.
audiere.dll is the sound library used by the game, and can be commonly found online.
There are no more executables in the game itself, only in the ReflexiveArcade folder (DRM shit) which I omitted in case it contained personal info.

drm&crack readme.txt was a note I wrote on how I did it, for future reference. You can read it here: https://pastebin.com/qzf5eKgb
The images were created with a file visualizer I made, purely to see where the encrypted section was.
Armada Tanks.RWG.png: https://my.mixtape.moe/kwertc.png
Armada Tanks Cracked.exe.png: https://my.mixtape.moe/eofpnv.png
Note the extra staticky encrypted block in the first image.

Also note the date and size of all the files. Particularly that the size of the RWG and the cracked version is identical, as expected with XOR encryption. I know that that is possible to fake, but nothing contradicts what I've said.
I've since cracked two more reflexive games with this method.

Now, you may ask why bother with such a long, rambling description of the individual files and what I did to crack it, and the answer is simple. It's the first ever game I've cracked, and I'm fucking happy with myself, even if it's such a simple case.
I'm going to sleep now, so I won't be able to respond to anything for a few hours. I'm going to blame the rambling on sleep deprivation.
>>
File: 1550748159296.png (512 KB, 600x862)
512 KB
512 KB PNG
http://leme.me/verah/games/
can't remember why I bookmarked it, but there's some games
>>
>>2643359
>I know you probably aren't looking for an answer to the question, but I might as well elaborate since I'm bored.

That's more or less true (although I might try the game if I can get it working on Wine), but that was interesting to read regardless. Those images are pretty neat.
>>
>>2643375
Any you tried and liked?
>>
>>2643391
Just tried it myself, and it crashes. Curiously though, the demo for the game works. I have an idea as to what may be the cause (possibly an issue with how I cracked it, that I resolved with other games), but I'm not sure.
I'll try fixing that issue after I finish eating, then report back if it works.
>>
>>2644001
Turns out there may actually be bigger problems. Just tried it on my windows laptop (which has never had the game on it), and it crashes as well, not just with wine. Looking for the problem now.
>>
>>2644130
>>2644001
>>2643391
Fixed. I've removed the link here >>2640656, new link: https://mega.nz/#!I4UF0KSS!isc3o0WhTm0L53L3z374COCllx6u-qzgfH4ardahVIg
There were no other problems than what I suspected, the malfunctioning on my laptop had the same cause. I still have no fucking idea why it worked on my main computer still, that sent me down a rabbit hole of searching the registry.
The issue was that I didn't know where the encrypted section ended when I first stitched it together (I found out after), and a small amount of corruption from the memory dump made it in (this is actually visible in the images I linked earlier).
The game now works fine (including under wine), and has the same hash as a clean copy on virustotal first seen in 2011.
Checking virustotal, it turns out that the clean copy has actually been bundled with a virus before, so it's a good thing I cracked it myself rather than seeking out a pre-cracked one.
>>
>>2644199
Cool. I think regarding security I'm going to take a moment to learn how to properly sandbox Wine because in general I run a lot of stuff in it from less trustworthy sources.
>>
>>2644288
Good call. I usually just use a windows VM for stuff I don't trust, although for testing rather than actually playing a game in.
>>
bump
>>
Might as well post more. Not super obscure, but one of my favourite old games. Devil's Crush for the turbografx-16/pcengine. Needs an emulator to play, of course.
https://my.mixtape.moe/xlukfv.pce
It's a damn good pinball game, and I probably won't ever forget the music in it.
As far as the webm goes, I figured the password verification and wrote a password checker for it, and thus have plenty of rude passwords (with input from others) that have not been put online yet. I can post them if anyone is interested.
A couple of my favourites from the list are LIFERUINED, SHITMYARSE, RETARDHELL, and for the thread, FOURCHANEL, although they get far more offensive than that.
>>
>>2644199
>and a small amount of corruption from the memory dump
As in you dumped more/less then you should've or your DIMMs have problems?
>>
>>2644799
I copied a little more from the dump into the program than just the encrypted section (since I didn't know where the encrypted part ended when I did it), and some of the stuff after the encrypted part turned out to have been modified by the program before I dumped it.
>>
File: Capture.png (24 KB, 646x545)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
Well, I started on a map viewer for Armada Tanks, and I've about had it with my 3D code. Error after error, with a massive fucking headache and 21+ hours awake. I should really just use some other engine or finally learn opengl instead of my homemade ball of spaghetti.
I won't elaborate for now since I'm so tired, but long story short I made a 3D engine (software rendering only) specifically to view the models from the game (no more, no less) several years ago, but continued to expand it and it's a heaping pile of shit to work with that should be abandoned.
>>
File: 3D engine demo.webm (2.97 MB, 800x800)
2.97 MB
2.97 MB WEBM
>>2644824
Dug up a webm I encoded for /g/ that shows it (since I have nothing else to show), in case anyone saw it.
I used it for some pretty cool visualizations for Advent of Code, but that's about it.
>>
>>2644311
I've settled on creating another user to run wine with. The problem I spend a while fixing is that there were a bunch of files all over my file system that were world writable and shouldn't have been.
>>
>>2644824
pretty cool although you're probably right about using another engine
does it just crash a lot due to bugs or are there other problems?
>>
>>2644704
So there's some sort of algorithm that decides if a password works or not? What do the passwords do?
>>
File: chronicle match beta.jpg (1.62 MB, 1920x1080)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB JPG
There was this game I loved, Chronicle: Runescape Legends. It was a very special CCG, instead of having mana you managed a bunch of resources. You used up weapons, temporal attack bonuses and spent HP fighting the monsters you had put into your deck for rewards and used gold to buy support cards. Turns were played by both players simultaneously after selecting what cards to put in each of their four slots, every match had a maximum of five chapters (if I recall correctly, it's been like a year) and at the end the two heroes would fight to the death.

It had a ton of cool stuff, varied classes and meta, counters for everything, there was constant interaction between the two players, plentiful draws guaranteed consistency, the tabletop aesthetic was great and so was the music, voice acting and SFX, it even had a system of challenges for unlocking neat titles and badges. I miss it so, so much and the fact that nobody knows the game makes things worse.
>>
>>2645214
There's currently an incompatibility in the level creation code and the rendering code that causes a crash.
The program is a patchwork of previous things I've written, all stuck together. Somewhere along the line I changed something that makes those parts not work together.

>>2645238
The passwords have all game progress embedded in them. Because the console predates built-in saving, and the games for that console are on cards with no room for a battery (pic related), the only way to save your progress is by writing down the password and entering it later.
The passwords are verified by a simple checksum. The last character determines if the password is accepted or not. Here's a comment explaining it taken from my code: #if sum of chars (where A=1, Z=26) % 16 == last char (where A=0)
Technically, the game does support saving if you have a (rare and expensive) hardware add-on, but I like most people don't own the add-on (even though I still own both the console and game).
I've seen the console+add-on+one game bundles sell for like $600. It was a commercial failure outside of Japan (despite being superior to it's main competitor, the NES). I'm lucky to have the console at all.
>>
bump
>>
>>2645890
interesting
>>
>>2646647
>>2646648
lol busted
>>
File: 1523675627824.jpg (104 KB, 768x569)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
>>2646647
>>2646648
>12+ hours without a post
>2 posts 5 seconds apart
What are the odds...
>>
>>2636872
any favorite games from here?
>>
>>2644824
>but continued to expand it and it's a heaping pile of shit to work with that should be abandoned.
Teach yourself to use a version control software. Eventually bunches of directories with different versions and the like turn into exactly what you've described. A VCS lets you see each change from each stage whenever you need it.
>>
>>2647302
Obviously Space Funeral is the most popular among all of them, but Goblet Grotto is my personal favorite due to the faster pace of the gameplay and all the quotable lines.
>>
Does Monster Rancher qualify?
>>
>>2647308
>bunches of directories
I wish I could say it's that pleasant, it's all in one file. I don't know why I continue to subject myself to it.
While I absolutely should start using VCS, the problem in this case is more that the way the code works is flawed to begin with. It's awkwardly built of some very old code of mine that was never meant to be turned into something general purpose, making it hell to track down and fix problems without breaking shit. Thanks for the advice, though. I'll probably look into it after I wake up.
>>
>>2647308
Version control software is very useful but it's still possible to make a mess while using it.
>>
>>2644858
now to actually play some of these games...
>>
bumping this
>>
I'm afraid to touch code I've written without a VCS
>>
>>2647491
Version control makes it easier to find where you broke shit.
>>
>>2647401
Well, I don't know about it.
>>
File: armadatanks.png (585 KB, 1024x768)
585 KB
585 KB PNG
>>2644199
seems to be working on my end, including with wine
>>
>>2649004
I keep right-clicking and moving when I mean to fire but I imagine I'll get over that quickly.
>>
>>2649369
I actually forgot you can right click to move. I just use WASD.
>>
>>2647491
Do you have any tests?
>>
There are FOUR (4) boards for video games.
The /v/igger thinks this isn't enough and it's his right to inform all other boards about his hobby.
>>
>>2649840
In this case, not really.
Again, the code it's based on was never meant to be used more than once, let alone something that complex.
>>
>>2650134
If you think that's bad you should see the idiots who think the whole site is for anime.
>>
File: 1536195029090.jpg (44 KB, 542x537)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>2650301
>>
File: 1551257322775.png (7 KB, 862x131)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>2650301
>
>>
>>2649372
That might be less confusing.
>>
>>2650298
Might be helpful to create some automated tests if you decide to refactor the code; then you can notice more quickly if you break things while refactoring.
>>
>>
>>2647491
>It's awkwardly built of some very old code of mine that was never meant to be turned into something general purpose, making it hell to track down and fix problems without breaking shit.
Sounds like it's time for a complete rewrite of that part.

>>2647690
No amount of technological sophistication or guidelines/best practices are going to take away our God's given ability to shoot ourselves in the feet.
>>
>>2653465
The whole thing needs to be rewritten.
>>
>>2653465
>No amount of technological sophistication or guidelines/best practices are going to take away our God's given ability to shoot ourselves in the feet.
very true
>>
>>2653469
sometimes that's the easiest way
>>
>>2636263
Does Elona count as obscure? It's not obscure for the /qa/ crowd, but it is for the general population.
I recently played it and got near the end of the first chapter/continent and hit the same boredom I always hit.
I've yet to make it to the second continent.
>>
File: Capture.png (8 KB, 606x33)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
I don't know how, but favicons on my end got messed up, and I keep checking the thread to see nonexistent replies. All blue boards get stuck, or show up with the green icon.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.