[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/po/ - Papercraft & Origami

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • There are 12 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: bazdgfnzasd.jpg (1.34 MB, 2985x2419)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
what does /po/ think about it? i find it super relaxing when nothing better to do and its good use for leftover small bits of paper
also recommend models to fold
this ones a favorite of mine
https://youtu.be/JxkBSAXcfqQ
>>
File: WP_20190210_003.jpg (1.25 MB, 2592x1456)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB JPG
Sonobe units - check.
PHIZZ units - check.
Some other unity I forgot the name of - check.

Your collection looks very similar to mine, except for the 90 (or 120?) sonobe ball in the back left which I was too lazy for so far. As for a recommendation, check out Knotology and especially Snapology, modular origami with paper strips invented by Heinz Strobl. Here's a random pic from me, sadly I don't have photos of the nicer snapology models which I already gave away as gifts.
>>
File: DSC_1707.jpg (2.53 MB, 3840x2160)
2.53 MB
2.53 MB JPG
I love it! Nearly all the folding I do is modular stuff, I started with just geometric ones but I've been trying more floral models recently. Pic related is the biggest thing I've made so far, it's 270 units of 9cm paper in "Open Face 1" from Tomoko Fuse's book about unit origami, but the biggest model shown in there was only 60 units.

That unit works for all kinds of smaller shapes that have triangle and/or square faces as well, it's really versatile. Instructions here if you'd like: http://sac.user.atomicradi.us/origami/modular/openframe1/openframe1.html
>>
File: DSC_1979.jpg (3.01 MB, 3840x2160)
3.01 MB
3.01 MB JPG
>>574249
Not sure why it posted sideways... I guess it doesn't matter since it's an icosahedron however it's rotated.
I finished these little ones just a couple of nights ago while I was watching a game. Like you said it's easy and relaxing to do when your hands aren't doing anything else! They're the 12 and 30 unit versions of the "Corolla" in "Exquisite Modular Origami". Happy to post instruction pages if anyone would like them, though I got all the origami books I've read from the book threads on this board so you could just download the pdfs there, I think they're both in the current one.
>>
Christ now it's upside-down! They look right on my PC when I upload them, I think I need a new phone haha
>>
>>574249
How sturdy is that model anon?
>>
File: DSC_1708.jpg (2.62 MB, 3840x2160)
2.62 MB
2.62 MB JPG
>>574270
Some slight give in it if you push it on both sides due to the papers flexing a little but all the joints stay tight. The paper is maybe a small bit weaker now after about a year and a half of sitting in a sunny window but there haven't been any collapses and I can still lightly toss it from hand to hand, it's not delicate at all. That picture was taken 6 months or so after construction, to give you an idea of how it holds together over time.

The only source of weakness is in the strength and flex of the long parts of the units, particularly the 6 coloured ones that meet in the centre of each large triangle. Apart from them every other section is completely rigid. If you use a heavier or smaller size paper it'll be even more sturdy, I doubt there'd be any flex at all. I didn't use any glue, just a small tweezers to tighten all the joints as much as I could while I was building the model and they've held ever since.

I found a photo with some smaller models I made with the same unit. They're all completely rigid so it's a good unit, It's just the cumulative flex of 270 bits of paper that introduces some give in the big one!
>>
File: 91NWe7EuqjL.jpg (656 KB, 1713x2560)
656 KB
656 KB JPG
This is how I spend a lot of my saturdays at the coffee shop, folding kusudamas.
Found this book a while back and got into it:

https://www.amazon.com/Zen-Origami-Modular-Meditation-included/dp/1631061976
>>
I'm new to Modular Origami. But I bought this flashy paper and I thought it would be perfect for modular Origami. This, plus your pics made me want to try it out. So I made the one from >>574249
>>
File: IMG_2893.jpg (3.55 MB, 5152x3864)
3.55 MB
3.55 MB JPG
I'm currently folding a bigger one with some other paper
>>
>>574511
>>574512
It looks great! Very flashy paper lol, I think it will work well for the bigger sizes like in pic related too, especially the snub cube one with the squares in it. Lots of modular models look awesome with two-toned paper, it highlights the folds and vertices and makes them seem even more complex.

If you're thinking of making the big one that I posted first and want to do something similar with the face colours, I had 36 units of each of the 5 colours and 90 white units for the edges and vertices. Might save you some time, I miscalculated at first and had to use up the extra orange and pink with the dodecahedron in >>574277. Your paper looks way better so it should turn out great but unless you have long nails I definitely recommend a tweezers or something to pull the joints tight. My fingers are fairly small and I still had trouble getting those 5- and 6- unit joints to come together with just my hands without pulling something else out of place!
>>
>>574517
Haha, thanks, it will indeed save some time. Before starting to fold with the flashy paper I made a test run (I'm happy I did) and after folding a bunch of modules I noticed it was a pain not to know how many I needed, so I ended up assembling and disassembling a few times. Still very rewarding.
>>
File: IMG_2919.jpg (3.68 MB, 5152x3864)
3.68 MB
3.68 MB JPG
Here's a red one.
>>
File: 20190720_030213.jpg (2.25 MB, 4640x2610)
2.25 MB
2.25 MB JPG
I love the modular polyhedra. I made this one for a date I had recently, and she loved it. I've been doing origami for almost 30 years and the modular stuff is still by far my favorite!
>>
>>574160
You should make the tajmahal ball, its interesting and unique to most modulars because it uses rhomboid shapes for faces.

Also, the moving cubes and moving cube wall modulars are a nice variation to your classic modular collection imo. Maybe a few different origami magic balls (if you use multiple different squares for a larger colored one it could be considered a modular)

https://youtu.be/IZyJIZEiP7g
>>
File: P1380677v2.jpg (1.25 MB, 4592x2584)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB JPG
>>574517
I'm finally done with the big one. I used 5cm2 sheets which results in a sphere of about 16cm of diameter. I pushed the corners in to transform it into a truncated icosahedron.
>>
File: P1380625.jpg (3.91 MB, 4592x2584)
3.91 MB
3.91 MB JPG
This is a neat model I found. It has equilateral triangles, so in order to make it, you can take a pic of an isometric grid and print it on paper (thick paper is better) It's the triangular gyroscope module from Lewis Simon.
>>
>>576064
Wow, that looks awesome dude! I really like what you did with the sunken vertices too, making it truncated instead of a regular icosahedron makes it appear more densely-packed and unique. Plus it'll probably be more stable long-term around the alternating-in-and-out sections, those areas are where mine is least structurally sound. The smaller sheet size you used helps there too.

Great job sticking with it, it feels good to have something to show for all that effort! :)
>>
>>576065
If you want some fun variations on that module, check this thread: >>568307

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.