[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/po/ - Papercraft & Origami

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • There are 8 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Let's design together.

Attached is Lang's Origami Design Secrets to get us started. Feel free to ask any questions about it and designing. Some ideas for what to post:
>any helpful design tips?
>any helpful references for designing?
>share your designs!
>share your own tutorial!
>>
>>574059
I just skimmed through the book, I remember reading most of it a while ago. It's good for the technical side of designing, so we'll likely have to do most of the practical side by creating our own exercises.
>>
>>574059
>any helpful design tips?

If everyone is going to go off of the book, the first thing I would say is read up to chapter four first and foremost. I know most people are familiar with the material, but there a few points that are important to note.

Pay attention to the names and motions that each particular technique has. The more familiar you are with what something is called and how it works, the more likely you can recognize it in other's work and utilize it for your own.

Another important thing to remember is that even the traditional bases are made of simpler parts. Lang shows that a bisected petal fold is actually two rabbit ears together, as well as how the most complex iterations of traditional bases are an assortment of simpler bases and techniques. Lang does a good job at building upon his previous chapters, so if you skip over these assuming you already know it all, you'll have a hard time later.
>>
>>574059
Finally (I know I've been rambling), I thought of a couple exercises people could do if they're interested.

1. Edit a traditional model. I know this sounds complicated, but I don't mean make huge changes. Just something small, perhaps make the frog's legs thicker, change the crane's tail, something about the traditional models you think could use improvement.

2. Try and make a simple part of something on your own. It can be a face, body parts, the bottom half of a snake, etc. I don't care, just find a part of something you think you can make and try it. One of the major hurdles in origami is seeing everything together and thinking "how is that made out of one sheet?!" when in reality, it's all simpler parts put together.
>>
>>574074
You keep ignoring the subject about diagramming some of your earlier models that we keep asking about. Why is that?
>>
>>574080
Not Nepafarius, but why should he diagram earlier models for you guys?

I myself have some early models I made that I have either long lost the instructions I made for, or I have zero interest in diagramming because diagramming takes /a lot/ of work. Stop harassing people to do favours for you.
>>
>>574082
"Not Nepafarius", mind your own business. Didn't ask you for your input.
>>
>>574084
But you are posting about it on a public forum. So good luck "private messaging" Nepafarius on 4chan. ;D
>>
>>574086
Nepafarius can answer for himself if he does or doesn't want to diagram any more of his models.
Posting a statement on a public forum doesn't give you the right to answer for someone else if it's not directed toward you personally.
>>
>>574087
It's true, I can't answer for him. Though I can point out that it's obvious he doesn't want to give you a leafy sea dragon diagram. xDDD
>>
Let's try and keep threads on-topic after this, shall we?

And if you want an answer, here it is.

1. I don't remember how to fold the model, mainly because

2. I wasn't satisfied with the model and wanted to fix it, evidenced by

3. The post (which I dug through the archive to read) which does not say I will diagram this model, but rather that I was trying something else and it might take a while. I tried new ideas, failed them all and moved on, as evidenced by the other models that have come out since.

I'm still trying to make headway on a few new designs, possibly including a leafy sea dragon. But it won't be anything like the original pictures.

I'm sorry you might have misinterpreted my words as an inevitability, and I don't like disappointing people so I didn't respond. I always don't like people spewing invectives on an otherwise peaceful thread, so I tried to ignore it and move on.

As this is a design thread, it's also the perfect opportunity for you to make this model yourself. I do remember the base is a blintzed fish base, for which the instructions are online. After that it is just figuring out where the points go, which is pretty in line with this thread
>>
File: 20190515_120314_2.jpg (689 KB, 2092x2555)
689 KB
689 KB JPG
Designed this recently, not that happy with the process but I'm pretty happy with the result.
>>
>>574167
What the hell is it?
>>
>>574169
Deadpool
>>
>>574169
Pikachu with a toupée.
>>
>>574167
What a shitty dragon.
>>
>>574237
Hahaha, now another artist is hazed into /po/ society!

I'm in the middle of designing my newest model, and hopefully I can finish it before long. I'm going to take pictures of the failures and new ideas to show the process I went through to make it, and without spoiling too much, how easy it is to stumble upon a new idea while folding.
>>
File: IMG_20190615_164918~2.jpg (1.11 MB, 2718x3072)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB JPG
Here's my newest model, a standing lion. I'll be posting my design process in the next couple days.
>>
>>574290
Not as cool as your leafy sea dragon was, but it's ok. Wouldn't want the diagrams for it, though.
>>
>>574295
>>
>>574305
Smart-ass.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.