[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/po/ - Papercraft & Origami

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • There are 8 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

File: 71L-2gvXYcL._SL1500_.jpg (103 KB, 1500x1000)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
What makes a good printer, /po/? I haven't bought a printer in over a decade and I want to get back into papercraft. This Canon TS9120 has good reviews for a low price. I figured a printer aimed at good photo quality printing would translate well to printing papercraft models on card stock. Anyone have any recommendations?
>>
>>571400
unless quality is an absolute necessity I would go with whatever cheap printer you can find at a thrift store. Spending almost $200 on a new printer will give you good results but you can get fine results with just a $10 thrift store printer. Most boomers get frustrated with them so they toss perfectly good ones with ink still in them.
Either way if you need to use card stock make sure you get yourself a printer that can support that kind of paper because not all printers can. Highly recommended printers come from Brother so check those out. Inkjet printers from them shouldn't be that expensive
>>
>>571400
Something you can get one of those continuous ink systems for.
>>
Want to add that a good starting point for looking at new printers is this hardware directory that details the software compatibility of printers. It's especially useful if you're printing from GNU/Linux.
https://h-node.org/printers/catalogue/en/1/1/undef/A-Full/undef/undef/compatibility/undef
>>571612
This is a good suggestion too; very adequate printers can be found used.
>>
>>571400
Best choice is a laser printer. The print heads won't die if you don't use it every day.
>>
File: pyong.gif (48 KB, 1047x767)
48 KB
48 KB GIF
I was actually going to follow up my post here >>571618 with how 'if it isn't obvious, make sure it's an inkjet printer'. Let's talk about laser vs inkjet.
For papercraft the use case is that you are, time to time, printing several pages consisting primarily of colour graphics. You know, templates. What is desirable is good colour reproduction and high DPI, which inkjets excel at. Most modern inkjet printers are capable of reproducing vivid colours and delicate contrasts, and the DPIs can be taken for granted.
A laser printer does not tend to reproduce colour very well, and will print graphics and resulting papercraft models looking dull. As it happens, laser printers are excellent at reproducing text, schematics, and indeed lines very crisply. But lines on a papercraft model are in fact details you'd want to omit; only there to some outline tabs to be glued and tucked away.
So I would not take >>571621 advice for papercraft, but with great respect this anon I will touch on why you would want a laser printer and how it exactly compares, might be useful for people encountering this thread for general printer guidance as well.
As I mentioned, they're very good at printed text and lines clearly. Ideally, they print out documents with scraps of graphics here and there. They're very good at printing high volumes of documents quickly and regularly.
>The print heads won't die if you don't use it every day.
This is true as well, the overall durability of a laser printer is greater. But to bring back to my point as to why compromising these are worthwhile, if you are expecting to maintain your papercraft fun regularly in the manner of printing a few pages every week or so, then getting a dried out print head should not pose an issue.
Might address fixed heads vs disposable head printers in another post, a topic I've seen surprisingly seen little talked about online, but that's another detail concerning the durability of inkjet printer heads.
>>
>>571629
In the laser vs inkjet discussion, I add one dissadvantage to laser, they create a thin layer of toner above paper. whatever scoring tool you use, it crack this thin layer and create a white craquelure when you fold it.

If you dont score to avoid it, a million of small cracks appears and it looks worse.
>>
>>571629
>>571631
solid advice right here OP. Laser printers do produce ultimately sharper images because well it uses a laser but I doubt you need to have extremely sharp prints at the expense of more dull colours. One thing to add as well is with laser printers they don't need maintenance as often but when they do you may run into some problems where you need to replace internal components using a maintenance kit.

In a nutshell use an inkjet printer it's easily the best choice for your scenario
>>
>>571641
This, only follow my advice >>571621 if you barely print. I had several inkjet but all of them died because I didn't use them regularly. Sometimes I didn't print for months so the laser was the best choice for me.
The fixed heads vs disposable head also an important question as >>571629 wrote. If you have printer with disposable you change printer heads with the cartridge. But the fixed head could be troublesome is the ink dries and clog it up, it's pretty hard to clean. I tried several times with an EPSON and the result wasn't so good. But if you print regularly there will be no problem.
>>
OP here, thanks for all the great links and advice. I seldom print anything anymore, but an AIO printer solution would be great. I suppose an inkjet would be the way to go. I'll look over the provided links when I get some time.

>>571631
I have come across the issue of scored folds doing this from laser prints. It really messes with the quality. Is there a way to help avoid this? Any recommendations for scoring tools for very fine lines? I suppose the inkjet toner will penetrate deeper into the cardstock, and perhaps using a lighter paper would help too. Hopefully, I can use a colored marker to clean up the cracked fold joints.
>>
>>571729
The really bad appearance appears when you fold+unfold many times. In complex models, when is hard or long to ensemble, is more possible you fold+unfold.

I use the back part of an xacto, or the sharp one with minimum pressure, it wil crack but in a nice straight line.
>>
File: index.jpg (3 KB, 223x105)
3 KB
3 KB JPG
>>571400
Get the Canon Pro-100. Sometimes it goes on sale for $60 after rebate and comes with paper.

That, plus the $100 ink refill kit from precisioncolors.com will set you for life.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.