[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Is car photography the most boring and useless niche?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D Mark III
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.2
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width5687
Image Height3791
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2015:11:24 00:28:45
Exposure Time1/13 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length85.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1500
Image Height1000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>3533430
No, it's a fairly difficult type of photography to do and takes a lot of skill to perfect.
>>
>>3533430
It's definitely the saddest. Other genres have plausible deniability. Like if you shoot half naked models, they may or may not be actually your friends, no one can really tell. If you shoot mostly sports cars, it's obvious that you don't own any of those cars. So people can tell you just ask people to talk photos of their cars that don't belong to you, which is kinda sad and pathetic.
>>
>>3533430
it's just a subset of product photography
>>
>>3533434
at mid term, shooting cars isn't as expensive as shooting half naked models
>>
>>3533432
>it's a fairly difficult type of photography to do and takes a lot of skill to perfect.
It can still be boring
>>
>>3533430
Landscape photography and astro photography are worse.

>Landscape
Look at me! I took my tripod and camera to some place and took a picture of nothing, and I spent a ton of money on ND filters to make the scene more interesting and unnatural!

>Astro
Look at me! I took another photo of the Milky Way! I light-painted the foreground to try and make this more interesting, but we still have the Milky Way in the sky!
>>
you tell me
>>3513302
>>
For most interests, photography is just an accessory skill. Other than speaking about and writing about it, of course you have to capture images or videos of your thing to share with others.

And of course you have to learn the photography basics to make aesthetically pleasing shots of your thing. It might not be worthy of photography awards in and of itself, but for people with the same interest it will look good. And that's all that you really want at the end of the day.

After coming here for a while I realized photography purely for the sake of photography is kind of pointless. You're always trying to show a certain subject, and everyone will have different biases based on the subject.
>>
Projecting that you probably suck at both?
>>
>>3533452
Meant for
>>3533447
>>
File: 1137-0061.jpg (452 KB, 1000x667)
452 KB
452 KB JPG
>>3533430

only if you suck ass at it

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 60D
Photographer>Sugar[C6H12O6]
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2012:12:12 10:16:31
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/9.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/9.0
Exposure Bias1/3 EV
Subject DistanceInfinity
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length116.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
>>
>>3533438
It's one of the weirdest shit to explain to people though. It's like

>hey anon I see you posting such nice pictures of these cool cars on your facebook. are they yours?
>n-no
>oh. what kind of car do you drive then?
>I don't own a car. I take the bus everywhere.
>oh

The only thing close is trying to explain street photography and why you're taking pictures of people you don't know out in public.
>>
>>3533434
>>3533457
No one but people as insecure as you think like this. If people see my pictures of cool cars, they will think "he likes to take pictures of cars" not "he probably doesn't even own those cars".
>>
>>3533430
No, that would be food photography. It's a lot more overdone than car photography and is much more drab.
>>
>>3533463
He's right about explaining street photography though. I can't imagine trying to explain street portraits, that would be difficult.
>>
>>3533463
>"he likes to take pictures of cars"
This is weird in it of itself. You've just convinced yourself that it's not.
>>
>>3533430
When done by amateur photographers with subjects from car eenthusiasts, it is cringe. The same aesthetic is copied by all the amateurs photographers. This is photography for those who vape. Your shot looks like someone who vapes took it.

Now, when professionals photograph races or do product photography of brand new, original, unmodified factory cars, it's cool. This is gentlemanly photography and is quite challenging.
>>
>>3533430
yep.
>>
>>3533450
well said
>>
>>3533430
All official ads are composites anyway.
>>
>>3533430

Boring? Absolutely yes.

Useless? Absolutely not. There is a FUCKTON of money to be made if you're good at photographing cars, and car photos will always be in demand. Half the advertisements on TV and in magazines are for car companies.
>>
>>3533432
Someone who's never shot cars before and asking genuinely. What's difficult about it? Isn't it mainly about finding a nice location and a good composition and throwing on a CPL and some lights up?
>>
>>3533434
>Taking pictures of things you don't own is sad and pathetic
This is the most batshit insane thing I've heard and prohibits anyone from ever shooting professionally if they believe
>>
>>3533430
Depends, taking pictures of cars standing still is indeed boring.
However capturing something happening during a race can be interesting.
>>
>>3533447
>Landscape photography and astro photography are worse.
It's just beyond your capabilities.
Landscape is the type with the lowest entry point but the highest peak. Everyone can do landscape, even with a potato camera, but few really do master it. It's not about applying shitty filters or replacing skies. It's about composition and light. About visualizing the scene and building it. It's a game of patience and speed of execution, especially with large format film. Turning a simple pale scene into a visually stimulating photography is art and it's far from easy. Don't talk shit about things you can't do.
>>
>>3533656
I can't speak to anyone else's experience but I've literally never taken a photograph with a car in it that I was happy with.
The lighting and reflections on an irregular blobby mirror like object are a nightmare.
>>
>>3533806
Even your explanation is boring.
>>
>>3533434
Even more pathetic are the ones who own such a car and then only take pictures of that. Imagine your best friend being a car :(
>>
>>3533454
I wouldn't consider that pic car photography anymore. That's an interesting shot.

Car photography is ultra clean cars parked in some meme location + heavy editing. It's basically a product photograph.
>>
>>3533454
is this an example of sucking ass?

results achieved!
>>
>>3534063
>car photography is whatever I don't like
Automotive photography is just photographs of automobiles. You're reaching way too much here.

>>3533434
This argument doesn't even make sense, this standard for what makes photography acceptable or not is so unbelievably arbitrary that I can't imagine you aren't trolling.

>>3533447
>look at me! I can incorrectly reduce any genre of photography to simple, basic things which makes them sound boring and bad!
You could make this reductivist argument about any photographic genre. "x is just taking pictures of y". Might as well not even do photography if this is your attitude.

>>3533450
I agree with this, though I'd say that one of the biggest challenges in photography is making anything look interesting. Many people will gush over the subject of a photograph but not the way it's taken. I actually like the concept of New Topographics quite a bit for this very reason; taking something ordinary or mundane and making it interesting through light, composition and processing. Light really is the number one most important thing in a photograph, imo, and the subject and composition maybe tie for second.
>>
File: firstSnowACH-10.jpg (4.26 MB, 3160x2278)
4.26 MB
4.26 MB JPG
>>3533430
came here from /o/ i think if youre into cars its neat. i enjoy driving places with friends and then just get a couple shots cause it looks nice. dont have to worry about touching up skintones and just enjoy the time. results might be boring to some I guess but I like it.

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX-T2
Camera SoftwarePaintShop Pro 21.00
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.4
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)53 mm
Image Created2019:08:22 09:51:09
Exposure Time1/800 sec
F-Numberf/4.5
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/4.5
Brightness6.5 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length35.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
File: Arista100Roll1- (13).jpg (2.26 MB, 1628x2560)
2.26 MB
2.26 MB JPG
>>3534534

Image Created2019:08:22 09:37:17
>>
File: blackfrdy-8.jpg (3.4 MB, 3160x2055)
3.4 MB
3.4 MB JPG
>>3534535

Image Created2019:08:22 09:37:18

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.