[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 109 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Fish friendly cameras

Previous thread: >>3487649

All discussion and questions related to gear should take place in this exact thread.

Redirection and answering questions in this thread is encouraged.

And don't forget, be polite!
>>
First of all, I know nothing. Here's my questions

I got a Xiaomi Mi 6 (really bad camera) and a Nikon D7100 (with stock lens) at home which I never got to test properly and currently don't have access to (vacation)

>Is D7100 good? I usually take pictures of sky, something zoomed in or slow shutter stuff
>If it's not enough, any recommendations that's cheap and easy to carry?
>where should I go to learn about cameras/technical stuff?
>any good camera apps that will help Mi6?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
>>
>>3491675
I'd stick with d7100. If you're willing to learn it's got everything you need, only when you personally know what are it's drawbacks, you should start looking to upgrade. You'll get nothing out of a new body otherwise.
>>
>>3491679
I see... I pretty much only did point & shoot with it just because I got frustrated from slow menus, that's a big problem for me. Can we uptade or do something to it?
>>
>>3491675
It's got an extra 100 over one of the best apsc cameras ever so, yeah?

Our lord and savior thy saturation be done Ken Rockwell-Sama

I'd say gcam or open camera. But its still a chinkshit phone, and you don't buy those for the camera.
>>
File: 1305309033136.jpg (70 KB, 500x479)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>3491665

>mfw going spring diving tomorrow with Canon S90 in the Canon scuba case
>>
So i picked up 2 Minolta lenses from a tag sale the other week, (50mm AF f/1.7, and 70-210mm AF f/4) so i bought an adapter and stuck it on my micro 4 penis.
The 50mm shoots beautiful photos, and i really like it.
But the 70-210 is much harder to use because of its weight on my small micro 4 dicks, even with ibis.
Is there a cheap tripod or monopod that won't chink me?
With the 70-210mm and the em10 II, the weight is about 2.5lb or 700g.
>>
>>3491741
I paid a little over 100 bucks for a neewer carbon fiber tripod from amazon that’s been bretty good. I’m say check them out.
>>
>>3491756
Thanks, they seem like one of those legit chink brands.
I wonder what the amazon ones are made of.
>>
>>3491779
No problem. It was this one specifically.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NSEKEMO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_vsX.CbKZWC76H

Dunno about any of the amazon branded stuff, but I don’t think I’d go much cheaper than the neewer.
>>
>>3491741
Weight should make telephoto less prone to camera shake. It's focal length that creates blurry images, and you need some practise to make it work.
https://photographylife.com/tips-on-photographing-hand-held-with-telephoto-lenses
>>
>>3491682
Try and learn about different modes (Aperture and Shutter priority, Manual), learn about exposure triangle. Also, you don't really need to use menus all the time, people usually configure their dslr's once and then just do some tweaks if needed.
As for upgrades: 7100 is still very capable camera and only path i personally can think about is FF (something like D610 or D750). But i don't think you should bother with it yet. Just walk around with 7100, see if you like it, see if you wanna stick with dslr or if you need FF. Don't invest in any expensive glass yet. Time and patience fren.
Now, about xiaomeme 6. It camera somewhat decent, actually (for a phone). Try and shoot RAW with it. I think default camera app support that mode. If not, look int Camera2API.
>>
>>3491675
>>Is D7100 good?
I can't believe you're asking that, yes it is, very much so.
like the other anon said, the next logical upgrade is full-frame but I beg to differ, get better glass asap if you like the feeling of the d7100 body and don't bother with APS-C glass unless it's the 35mm dx prime.
>I usually take pictures of sky, something zoomed in or slow shutter stuff
well then you definitely do not need full frame or an upgrade at all, get the af-s NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G off ebay if you're absolutely going to buy something.
>>3491682
>I got frustrated from slow menus
well you're going to love the body then since it's a prosumer body, you won't need to go into menus, everything you need is on the outside.
>>
>>3491784
>>3491805
Thanks for the link guys, i'm going to do some forearm excercises if that helps with the shake. Lowering my heart bpm down to 50 helps a little.
Reading some of that guide now, wow that guy seems like he's shoots big game.
Tripod looks solid too.
>>
>>3491835
the shake comes from the legs when you have a proper grip, use your strap as well to stabilize.
>>
>>3491711
>It's got an extra 100 over one of the best apsc cameras ever so, yeah?
No idea what that means

>gcam/open camera
I still didn't rooted it, kind of scared actually
>>3491824
>modes
I pretty much knew them but never had to utilize, found the PDF manual and I'll learn all of them before getting the camera. Also I know about the triangle, it's magical lol
>upgrades
Okay, I'll stick with this for now. Got a message saying "D7100 is yours now" from my dad yesterday so I thought it's something bad and he's giving it to me instead of throwing it away.
>Xiaomeme6
It's not that bad but we can't say it's decent, there's a huge gap between it and Mi8 for whatever reason. I have to shoot in s/8/16 to take nice pics. Sadly it doesn't allows RAW and Camera2API requires root
>>3491833
>Asking this
Anon I know literally nothing. Do the glasses really make a big difference?
>using the body
I actually failed to adjust from body the last time I tried... But I'm sure the manual will help me about it.

Color Space InformationUncalibrated
>>
>>3491851
>Do the glasses really make a big difference?
He means glass as in lenses. Yes it makes a huge difference in terms of overall quality but you won't know how to utilize it until you know how to use the camera.
>>
>>3491876
>Whatever compact camera has largest sensor and best optics for your budget. Any proper camera will be better than a phone.
>(A good compact is probably more expensive than older 2nd hand interchangeable lens camera w kit lens. That's why you might want one instead.)
>Reason why phone camera sucks is tiny lens and tiny sensor which require excessive noise reduction and sharpening even with good light.
So that mean I should pick e.g. Fijifilm XF10 over Sony RX100 3 or Canon G7X/G9X II?What are the trade off of picking the XF10 over the other options, given their sensor size difference but with not that much difference in price?
>>
So, we agreed last thread that Pentax is a meme, rite?
>>
>>3491921
photography is a meme
>>
>>3491921
I asked that question last thread sincerely.
I held my friends pentax k1 and instantly fell in love, but if I'm going to spend that kind of money I can't let myself be guided by first amateur impressions.
Tbh it doesn't seem that bad from what other anons said, specially for someone starting like me, but I will wait a little and maybe try other cameras.
>>
test
>>
File: .png (243 KB, 648x524)
243 KB
243 KB PNG
>>
>>3491942
Pentax fills a niche, has its own quirks, but can be pretty competitive with bigger brands.
Historically it's been one of the most innovative companies. It also offers great features in their entry-level cameras
>weather sealing in all of the current models
>IBIS in all K bodies offering stabilization even in old and adapted lenses
>Pixel Shift in latest models (K-3 II, K-1, K-70, KP) https://pixls.us/articles/rawtherapee-and-pentax-pixel-shift/
>>
Choosing my first FF body(my current camera is d7100) to work with manual glass(so i don't care about autofocus performance). I'm thinking about going mirrorless, so i have two main candidates - nikon d700 and sony a7 first gen(i'm poorfag from slavstan, so sorry anything newer is not on my budget). I've a small collection of ai nikkors and f mount ai/tamron mount with f mount adapter soviet glass and in the future i want to get film M mount rangefinder with some cheap glass(soviet ltm zeiss knockoffs, because i can get it here really cheap + 7artisans), so i think it would by nice to have two film bodies(i already own f90x) and use lenses from both systems on my digital camera(if i'll go with a7). How does evf of a7 first gen compare to ovf of d700? Is it bigger or smaller? Can i notice lag/low resolution? Which one will be better for MF(in case if i'll get focusing screen for d700)? Are a7 as durable as d700 is? How is a7 build quality compares to nikon dslr's at all? Is it flimsy, or it's built to last(like my f90x)? Are there any nuances on mounting nikon f/leica m glass on sony e? Post your thoughts on that, anon
>>
>>3491955
Pictures from the 200-600 looks slightly underwhelming. I'm honestly not sure what to think of it.
>>
>>3491957
A7 is more modern in image quality and features, focusing is of course much easier on evf. That said, D700 is an actual pro level camera. Original a7 is more like a first attempt prototype than anything. og a7 has a plastic lens mount, abysmal battery life, horrendous menu system that you'll need to use quite a bit, laughably bad af, no weather sealing to speak of. D700 survives warzones. And you can get a split prism focusing screen for the D700 to help with manual lenses.
>>
>>3491958

It's because 200 f/5.6 = nasty, and 600 f/6.3 = nasty. Great zoom range, but I wouldn't want to shoot against anything noisy like grass or branches.
>>
>>3491963
I'm just not sure what Sony is thinking. Sure you can shoot 1200mm with it using the 2X TC but what's the point at f13?
>>
>>3491964

Can you even use a TC on that one? I don't know anything about Sony lenses but don't see the point of doing so... I wouldn't even use a 2X TC on a f/4, but some people don't mind large drops in IQ from pushing optics beyond their limits.

I have tried both Nikon and Canon TCs, (1.4, 1.7, and 2) and they were all shit on anything slower than f/2.8.
>>
>>3491848
For me at least, i need to get a grip because the em10 mark ii does not have enough surface area for my right hand to be stable.
>>
File: IMG_6811.jpg (1.93 MB, 3969x1670)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB JPG
I got given an XPro2 and already had the PEN F. I was going to sell the PEN but there;s something delightful about it that I can't put my finger on.
I know the XPro2 is better in pretty much every way but I just can't get rid of the PEN.
>>
>>3491957
>>3491960
Oh and about the evf, it's slightly larger in the a7 than in D700, but there certainly is a lot of lag, especially in dark conditions. Also there's a lot of lag in every thing you do in the sony. Every dial change will be laggy compared to the instantaneous changes in the nikon. It's incredibly frustrating.
>>
>>3491970
Not point selling it atm really, they're discontinued. Wait for hipster tax to hit in near future, then sell.
>>
>especially in dark conditions
Actually matters for me because i like shooting at night. How is evf compared to ovf at night? Is it really that bad? How is a7 high iso performance compared to d700(iso 3200-6400)?
>>
>>3491990
Isn't a new PEN supposed to come out this year?
>>
>>3491992
>>3491988
>>
Anyone have a suggestion on small protective cases for cameras?
I want to keep a camera in my backpack but don't want it just tumbling around in there. But I also don't want a big, bulky container to take up a bunch of space at the same time.
>>
>>3491960
>og a7 has plastic mount
Source on this?? Looking to buy one just for manual lenses and a7ii is out of my budget.
>>
>>3491988
>>3492006
>Every dial change will be laggy
I think that's a user error. It only lags when you have the LCD helper UI activated.
If you disable them the dial changes become instant.
>>
>>3492001
Don’t think it’ll be that soon. I thought they were going to announce it in November or something.
Mattius Burling posted a pen f on his Instagram so will definitely wait for that to drop when selling.
>>
>>3492013

Don't let it deter you, plastics have quietly come a long way. There's a reason why they are preferred over metals in many applications in every field from medicine to aerospace.

Not all plastics are equal... ones used in mounts are very resilient. One of my older zooms is a plastic mount and after being mounted and unmounted hundreds of times doesn't even have a scuff on it.
>>
>>3492013
It's not literally plastic but the mount on the original A7 was very flimsy and people had to buy third party reinforced mounts.
>>
>>3492013
https://www.outsidetheshot.com/all-of-the-problems-with-the-sony-a7/

It's pretty shit to be honest, probably one of the reason cam leaks water like crazy. What's probably making it worse is very think sheet of metal over all that plastic.
>>
i tried the whole nfc camera-to-phone transfer thing today from my rx100
seems like it can't transfer raws, shame. i don't want to pay for lightroom either, i'll have to figure out how to transfer the raws to my phone
>>
>>3492116
I think the nfc feature is so your phone can send those jpegs to social media.

Raws can be sent to your PC through your wifi router.
>>
File: 1550088309096.jpg (175 KB, 3264x2448)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
So I am selling this tamron 17-50 1:2.8 LD XR Di II sp af lens
I put it up for 145$+shipping. Is that correct?

Equipment Makesamsung
Camera ModelSM-A530F
Camera SoftwareA530FXXS5CSE1
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)26 mm
Image Width3264
Image Height2448
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2019:06:12 00:00:45
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/1.7
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating64
Lens Aperturef/1.7
Brightness3.5 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length3.93 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width3264
Image Height2448
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Unique Image IDQ16LLKA04SM Q16LLMC01SA_
>>
$500 for a new T7i with the kit lens a good deal? No tax or shipping.
>>
>>3492119
If the rx100 works like my a7ii, then you can send RAW files to a phone over wifi too. It’s pretty handy.
>>
any of yall ever used a fuji gw690? (any of the three models) thots and opinions?
>>
>>3492126
Eh, I’d pay that for one in decent shape. Seems like a pretty good price to me.
>>
Guys I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on this. It must be an L lens but I don’t see a red ring???

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323781987193
>>
>>3492140
Oops. Here’s the right link.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-2562A002-EF-28-135mm-f3-5-5-6-IS-USM-Standard-Zoom-Lens-for-Canon-SLR-Came/323781987193?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Dd263294533af4b98b5e484ad0be95ecc%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D323781987193%26itm%3D323781987193&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A97102e77-8cb5-11e9-ae82-74dbd180185c%7Cparentrq%3A496889d916b0a4b7fd049fcaffe4abc7%7Ciid%3A1

So excited to get this that i messed up the link!
>>
>>3492141
Is this bait?
>>
>>3492141
>>3492143

Ebay seller was also so excited they added a zero
>>
>>3492131
the rx100 can send raw files? strange that the a6000 can only send jpegs.
>>
>>3492148
Dunno. I just know that the capability is there with some if their models.
>>
>>3492143
You’re just trying to trick me into not buying it so that you can get it! >:(
>>
>>3491964
>>3491963
Didn't you know the 150-600 is Sigma's 2nd most sold lens ever?
Also, Composition and framing is more important than bokeh.

Plus I thin it's the only zoom in that category that isn't a dustpumper.
Both the Sigma 150-600 and the Tamron 150-600 are dustpumpers.
>>
>>3491992
"Usable" D700 high iso tops at 3200 for me, your preference might be different, though higher isos will still look good in b&w. The a7 has much cleaner files overall. I'd say that ovf beats laggy evf at night any time. The trick here is not to look at bright displays (like the evf) or your phone, but let your eyes get used to the dark. Or wear an eye patch over one eye, like some navy seal sniper or something.
>>
File: 1560249033_IMG_1198253.jpg (147 KB, 2000x2000)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
>>3491955
The prime lens is a new type where they managed to shift most of the weight towards the back, and somehow get even better MTF chart than the previous generation.

It turns out having 1 single large element at the front made with super precision is better than 3-4 front elements with mediocre precision.
>>
>>3492170
>Didn't you know the 150-600 is Sigma's 2nd most sold lens ever?
Because Nikon and Canon equivalents are traditionally more expensive. Prices climb steeply at that point, so a lot of people get swayed into Sigma. Their sales have nothing to do with it how the lens works.

>composition and framing is more important than bokeh
You could have all of the above, as well as speed. If you're doing anything remotely fast action in less than perfect light, you're going to suffer with 5.6-6.3
>>
>>3492205
I think it's just a sort of compromise.
Smaller aperture means cheaper pricing, and lower weight. So it's for people who like more affordability.
Since this is internal zoom, it's an advantage to keep it compact.

The one without compromise is the prime lens.
>>
>>3492207
That's all I ever really say about gear; everything is a compromise in one way or another. If you want a faster lens then you have to make sacrifices regarding money, weight, and handling.
>>
>>3492205
there are no equivalents for Nikon and Canon.
>>
>>3492224

You know what I mean. The closest available. There's no exact equivalent because Canon and Nikon haven't been keen on compromising that much image quality thus far. Maybe that will change, but regardless 150-600 is such a massive range that it's better off split into different lenses. If done properly and put into low volume production it would probably be in the $30K range minimum.

Sigma and friends found their niche market, there's nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>3492170
I've seen a lot of pictures from the Sigma and I'm not entirely convinced by the IQ. On top of that it extends twice in length which is absolutely awkward and something I can't imagine working for me given the scenarios I'm usually in.
I'm currently torn between a number of different options that would give me more reach and this 200-600 5.6-6.3 Sony and an old Canon FD 300 2.8 are the front runners.
>>
>>3492225
>Canon and Nikon haven't been keen on compromising that much image quality thus far.
Canon and Nikon make shitloads of cheapo zooms for beginners. They just didn't think that anyone could by that big and expensive one. Also Canon doesn't want to cannibalize their telephoto prime sales.
Still, I've heard rumors that Canon is going to make their own version of this type of lens. Nikon already has 200-500mm.
>>
Are all the cheaper midrange zooms for full frame nikons fucking trash? Apparently all the cheaper Sigmas and Tamrons have focusing issues or some other stupid shit making them completely worthless but I can't afford dumping 1k into a lens.
>>
>>3492323
Well, the 24-70 f/4 S is pretty cheap if you get it in a Z6/Z7 kit and it's VERY good.
>>
can one turn off the lcd screen of the the G7X II while shooting? probably via a fn button?
>>
>>3492255

>Canon and Nikon make shitloads of cheapo zooms for beginners

Yeah, with reasonable zoom ranges. The 18-300 is ridiculous, but at least it's a functional range that casuals love; it covers everything and the average person on vacation with their kids won't need anything else. If either Canon or Nikon made a 150-600 or something similar, people would expect it to be good. That would make it expensive and therefore not a Sigma equivalent. They aren't going to put out garbage quality just to compete with a non-competitor. It just makes more sense to produce a 200-500.
>>
>>3492255
>going to make their own version of this type of lens
Yeah, who knows... maybe they will. Too slow for me though, no matter how high the optical quality ends up being.
>>
>>3492332

If I can't afford a lens on its own how on earth do you think I'll be able to afford a new body AND a new lens?
>>
>>3492355
I didn't tell him to go buy one, he asked if ALL "affordable" Nikon mid-range zooms are trash.
>>
>>3492323
not trash, but there isn’t a perfect pick. even the gold ring 24-70 doesn’t feel that much nicer than the 24-120 and you are paying out the ass
>>
File: 1549917299949.png (97 KB, 667x337)
97 KB
97 KB PNG
Is this the best budget telephoto lens?
I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and will only be taking pictures in like parks and the zoo with this.
>>
>>3492448
No.
>>
>>3492448
If you've body stab you can get Olympuses 40-150 even for less. Both offer very good image quality for kit zooms. Drawback is a bit lousy af performance on both, and the fact that you need 300mm for most smaller birds.
>>
>>3492473
I see.
I'm not all too picky. Just started photography as a hobby and haven't fallen far in the rabbit hole yet.
But I'll check out the Olympus lens, too thanks.
>>
File: 70-300_.jpg (22 KB, 425x425)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
Looking to upgrade from my 70-210 f/4 to something a little longer but don't have a lot to spend. I also would like horizontal stabilization for panning shots. Slower lenses don't really matter, it will rarely be shot wide open.
I've pretty much come across the 70-300 IS USM f/4-5.6. Are there any other comporable options in the sub-$200 price range that I'm missing?
>>
P1000 worth it for birbs? I want that ultra zoom to take pics of far away birds that won't let me approach.
>>
what photographic related gear do I buy if I like to suck cock?
>>
>>3492692
Nikon P900
>>
>>3492692
Sigma
>>
I already have a 50mm 1.8 and an 18-55 kit lens for my crop body. Is it worth it to get a 24mm 2.8? I want something wider angle than the 50mm and wider aperture than the kit lens. I want to use it mainly for shooting portraits at wide open aperture. Also, I know shooting at a shorter focal length will get you facial distortion if you're doing headshot, but what if you're taking a head to waist shot? Is the facial distortion still noticeable?
>>
>>3492559
nah that's the best your gonna get, panning shots are still going to be hard depending on how fast you pan because it doesn't have the IS mode switch like the L series
>>
>>3492838
Anything round 35mm equivalent is perfect for kid's portraiture.
>>
File: sonyrx1r.jpg (61 KB, 544x544)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
Hey guys. Need a somewhat compact all round camera and thought of getting a used RX1R.
Is it still good, or are there better options in the price range?
>>
>>3492866
Shit battery life, and lousy lens, but it is compact ff.
>>
>>3492847
This does have the mode 1 and 2 switch which is why I was interested in it. As it is now I can't relaibly pan at 210mm with speeds slower than 1/80.
Looks like this'll have to do until I can afford L lenses.
>>
>>3492692
Fuji desu
>>
>>3492866
For the prices these go, I'd rather buy m43 and one of the voigtlanders.
>>
>>3492892
>and lousy lens
bait
>>
>>3492919
You can't have a good compact wide lens. Physically impossible. Reviewers are giving it slack since it's point and shoot, but you better Samyang wides for ff.
>>
>>3492926
Not him but you are completely wrong and bigoted.

For one, the optics dig into the body, so the glass parts are actually bigger than you think they are.
Two, it very much is possible to have good compact wide lens. Zeiss Loxia has proven this.
>>
>>3492908
Well fuck me now I feel dumb for buying the new version which just has the stupid lcd
>>
Is Sony a meme?
>>
File: 4.jpg (60 KB, 467x346)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>3492970
They are one of the few companies not drowning.

Camera Softwarepaint.net 4.0.5
Horizontal Resolution96 dpi
Vertical Resolution96 dpi
>>
>>3492977
What about Pentax?
>>
>>3492989
They are not really a part of the mainstream camera market.
Usually too small to be in these charts.
>>
>>3491955
>1.5 f/stops
>that'll be $11000 plus tip
>>
>>3492995
You would think thy are outrageously priced, but in reality they can't manufacture enough of them.
>But after we launched the 400mm, we have seen demand from many of the top sports photographers working at large events.
>Almost 70% of the [customer base] for that lens are professionals. Availability is still capped - there is a long waiting list.
The front of the lens consist of only 1 element as you can see
>>3492192
So it needs to be made with far higher precision than normal. That means a lot of discarded elements during production, pushing the cost upwards.
>>
>>3492977
What the fuck is Sales Value. What kind of retarded metric is this?
>>
Are there any super wide angle lenses (think 10 - 15mm) that are faster than f/ 3.5?
I love my EF-S 10-18 but f/ 3.5-4.5 is fucking killing me.
>>
>>3493095
tokina 11-16 2.8
>>
>>3493055
It means it's better to sell ten 2000 dollar cameras than five 1000 dollar cameras.
>>
>>3493098
Looks like a false value then. You'd need to know profit margins to calculate something like that.
(t. marketing background)
>>
>>3493116
The profit margins doesn't change all that drastically over one year an another. So the % is still telling.
>>
>>3493117
You don't know profit margin. For all we know one brand is selling their cameras at a loss and the other is having 50% margin. Pointless numbers.
>>
>>3492931
Look at the mft charts... It's shitty lens at the corners, Samyang 35mm indeed beats it.
>>
File: camera.png (514 KB, 2456x824)
514 KB
514 KB PNG
Hi everyone, I want to get into photography so I'm looking to buy my first camera, I want to put around 500€ in it do you have any suggestions ?
What should I look for in a camera ? How do I know which one is good and which is bullshit ?
Do you have any websites to recommend to compare different camera, also there's this deal that seems pretty good, but I'm worried it's a shit camera. What do you guys think?
>>
Plan on buying a X-T3. What lenses should I get if I want to shot street and portrait. Is the 18-55 kit decent for street? 56 1.2 looks nice but expensive, could a 50 f2 suffice? Maybe one of those Chinese manual focus lenses?
>>
So, I've had my canon rebel xsi for years. I want to get another lens that isn't the kit one. What would be a good budget friendly option for macro photography?
>>
>>3493127
Instead if buying a low end model like that new, check out Canon’s refurb site (if available in your country) or find a good second hand seller that offers a warranty for a better body.
>>
Does anyone know of good alternatives to the nikon Mh-25 charger? I've just had my 3rd randomly break.
>>
>>3493127
2000d/t7 is pretty good beginner DSLR
skip on the 75~300 kit tho because the 70~300 is garbage

>>3493177
the only budget friendly macro is the EF-S 35mm and its 300$
>>
>>3493193
Try the Tamron SP 90/2.8, the older film era AF ones like the 72E/172E or "digital adjusted" (same as the old ones) 272E
There is the Sigma 105/2.8 as well
>>
>>3493200
why would i bother with either of those when they cost as much or more than the canon 100mm f2.8 non L
>>
>>3493182
I have some random USB charger from ebay which so far has worked fine with my Nikon and Sony batteries. How the fuck do you keep on breaking chargers.
>>
>>3493182
>>3493208
Aparently this is actually a common issue
https://timwolverson.wordpress.com/2016/10/09/how-to-repair-a-nikon-mh-25-battery-charger/
>>
>>3493193
Damn. Thanks for the recommendation though!
>>
>>3492226
It is tiny as fuck at 600mm.
But the Sigma is more compact when collapsed.

And the weight is an improvement as well.
Sigma 150-600 S: 2860 gram
Sony 200-600: 2120 gram

Removing that 150-199mm range made it a little bit lighter, shorter and less front Heavy.
>>
>>3493127
500 euro is quite a significant amount to put into your first camera; don't fall for this deal - the camera itself isn't terrible, but the lenses aren't worth it for the money. As before noted, the 70-300 is garbage, especially on that camera.

From your perspective, the sensor is one of the least important factors. What is most important is the size and construction. This means it is ok to buy a camera that is a little older if it's design is still high quality. If it is your first camera, you may be more suited to an advanced compact with a fixed - non interchangable lens - this keeps the size of the camera down, meaning you are more likely to take the camera with you when you leave, and the lens will almost always be of a quality suitable for the performance of the rest of the camera. The problem with buying an entry level DLSR as in your example, is that a poor kit lens compromises the entire experience - the image quality, the handling, ability to shoot in low light and so on.

If you want a really compact camera, look into the Ricoh GR (prime lens) or the Sony RX100 series (zoom lens). If you want a semi-compact camera, look into the Fujifilm X100 (prime lens) or the Panasonic LX-100 (a really good all rounder with a zoom lens)

Only get into an interchangeable lens camera if you want to keep investing money in your equipment. I wouldn't just stick with the kit lens. It defeats the point of having interchangeable lenses.

If you do want an interchangeable lens camera, I would reccomend not getting a DSLR to start with. This is because cheap DSLRs are much more compromised than cheap Mirrorless cameras. The viewfinders are tiny, the camera bodies are plasticy, the autofocus is gimped, and it won't fit in your jacket pocket.

If you're willing to buy second hand, that 500 euro can go really, really far. You can get ~5 year old semi-pro gear that is a pleasure to use. Then we can recommend you some good stuff, otherwise your choices are limited.
>>
>>3493177

>>3493193
>>3493200
You're all missing the (admittedly little known) EF-S 60mm. It should be possible to get one on ebay for less than $200.
>>
>>3493228
I'm sort of in the same boat as >>3493127. Similar budget, maybe a bit less. In fact, I'd prefer to go for second-hand gear. Any and all advice would be extremely appreciated.
>>
>>3493228
to be fair there is nothing wrong with the EF-S 18~55 kit lens besides terrible manual focus because the whole front of the lens rotates and is very wobbly

If I where to start again I would still buy a Rebel body only and the EF-S 18~135
I still might buy a used EF-S 18~135 because I get tired of changing between the EF-S 18~55 and the EF 70~300 IS USM II when walking around.
>>
>>3493096
Constant fstop of nice, what other alternatives are there out there?
>>
>>3493227
I'll just wait till the reviews come out. I don't see myself pre-ordering a $2000 lens that will then turn out to have sub-par IQ. In that case I'd be better off with the old Canon 300 2.8.
I also need to start looking for a good quality camera bag. What would /p/ recommend? Manfrotto or LowePro?
>>
>>3493339
MTF for the prime lens:
https://www.sony.com/image/25be3142ea10fd4ac43f36ef7d48ede4?fmt=png-alpha&wid=600

MTF for the zoom:
https://www.sony.com/image/c5224c281aea718204d5e78d30f2bb6e?fmt=jpeg&wid=600

It looks promising, but it sure as hell isn't going to be the same image quality as the Prime lens.
That thing is full contrast across the frame.
>>
>>3493340
I'm mostly worried about the ISO performance of my Sony A7II at F6.3 at high speed. I'm worried it's going to be a hot mess.
The MTF charts look good, but that's not really something I'm going to be concerned with in the field.
>>
Where is the fish related-ness?

Here have a fish everyone likes

Camera SoftwareSnapseed 2.0
Image Created2019:06:11 13:40:39
Image Width1080
Image Height1920
>>
File: 000017130013.jpg (1.24 MB, 1545x1024)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB JPG
>>3493355

Equipment MakeNORITSU KOKI
Camera ModelEZ Controller
Camera SoftwareEZ Controller 6.60.031 (160615)
Image Width1545
Image Height1024
>>
Does anyone else have motion sickness when looking through an evf?
>>
>>3493373
when playing with the sony shit at best buy i felt the IBIS through the EVF to be a little disorienting
but i dont get motion sickness
>>
Bought the sigma 16mm 1.4 to film YouTube videos with. Get tired of hauling my spare a6000 around with me, especially no flip up screen. Should I sell the lens to buy the DJi action cam for videos? It's easier to carry.
>>
>>3493127
Remember to budget in an extra battery.
>>
>>3493127
Go to a reputable camera shop is you can and buy used.
>>
If I'm buying a new camera, is there any point in investing in Sony Full frame? Is APSC dying?
>>
>>3493656
Shit, I meant to ask, I there any point in investing in anything other than Sony Full Frame?
>>
>>3493658
They can easily turn around and revive their APS-C if that's what you meant to ask.

I think it's just a matter of time until they relealise they are losing APS-C sales to other brands.
>>
I've had my camera for around 6 months now (canon t6 - I know, but it was cheap) and, since I'm about to travel for a few days, I'm thinking about buying a prime. The nifty fifty looks like the obvious choice, but the 40mm 2.8 is not that different, and seems to be far more discreet. Since I'll be visiting a not-so-safe city (I live in Brazil), a camera insurance goes without saying. Nevertheless, considering that I'll be taking tourist-y photos (girlfriend and I in the old part of town) what would you recommend? A more discreet 2.8, or an average looking 1.8?
>>
>>3493661
Can’t go wrong with the 50mm. Not that great wide open, but the 1.8 is there if you need it.

If you have your heart set on a pancake, do the EF-S 24mm. It’s awesome for just walking around if you’ve got a crop body.
>>
>>3493662
>>3493661
I would second the 24mm honestly
Feels like you'd benefit from the wider lens for capturing tight city streets

But 50mm is always neat
>>
>>3493662
>>3493663
Thank you for the input; I hadn't considered the 24mm, but it does look nice. Now the issue became 50mm or 24mm. I'll try to get them both, but if money can't go that far... What would you buy? Of course, I can always take the kit lens with me, but I'd love to take only primes (or would having the kit lens nearby be a good idea? I'll take any advices I can get).
>>
Don't want to make a new thread for this. Ricoh/Pentax is rumored to have bought into a sizeable stack of Sony BSI sensors in the APS-C format, 26MP, PDAF etc...
So it is expected for a new APS-C line, K-3III or KPII to be announced soonish.
https://pentaxrumors.com/2019/06/14/ricoh-pentax-rumored-to-be-buying-26mp-aps-c-sensors-for-a-new-dslr-camera/
>>
>>3493668
Also looking more into the sensor specs it seems like it is primarily a mirrorless oriented sensor with integrated PDAF sites, continuous readout without blackout for EVFs etc... seems odd to buy such a feature packed sensor for a DSLR, it would've been much cheaper to get a more conventional DSLR design without PDAF sites and normal readout.
Since Ricoh said it doesn't want to jump into the current MILC fad and continues to make DSLRs, if this MILC sensor will be fully used to its potential, we could be seeing a hybrid DSLR with a hybrid OVF that can be used as a conventional DSLR with focusing with the cheap separate PDAF and it can switch into EVF mode and focus with the on-sensor PDAF for more demanding continuous tracking focus.
All Pentax needs is some fast focusing telephoto lenses and it can be a solid entry into the sports and wildlife scene, we know they have the rugged design for it already.
This might be interesting with the new FF MILC scene with Nikon and Canon are falling short of what was expected (seems like people don't like to buy the same lenses again or buy heavier and more expensive lenses to do the same their lighter and cheaper APS-C system does)
>>
>>3493668
Looks like the XT-3 sensor.

>>3493677
I don't believe in any of the hubrid OVF rumors. But
>and it can switch into EVF mode and focus with the on-sensor PDAF for more demanding continuous tracking focus
This one I believe in.
And it's actually what I have been recommending Pentax to do all along.
Improve their AF technology so it works for video as well as stills.
>>
>>3493661
35mm on APS-C, not 50 because on APS-C that's like shooting at 75mm(80mm on Canon)
>>
>>3493677
>it would've been much cheaper to get a more conventional DSLR design without PDAF
Think about it this way, Now you can have a camera with:
-Rugged build
-Crop factor 1,5 for longer lenses
-Fast AF while completely silent operation

So it will be a great wildlife camera.

Except the battery life will probably be even worse than before, and Pentax cameras always had bad battery life.
>>
>>3493708
>and Pentax cameras always had bad battery life
And that is a complete lie. My K-3 lasts 500-700 shots or charging once every major event.
I assume your next lie will be Sony having any resemblance of a weather sealing
>>
>>3493711
500-700 is bad for DSLRs
>>
>>3493711
https://www.dpreview.com/products/pentax/slrs/pentax_k3/specifications
560 shots.

I always knew Pentax batteries sucked. And you just confirmed it.
>>
>>3493664
I’d say 24mm first, as its focal length is generally more useful than the 50mm’s. I’ve got both, and don’t regret either one.
>>
File: 1553639541249.jpg (107 KB, 740x668)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>3493668
>Sony sneaked in an AA filter to harm me personally
>REEEEEEEEE
Those comments at the bottom.
>>
>>3493716
Definitely better than the 300 Sony standard
>>
>>3493127
Buy used body. All modern sensors are good enough for beginner.
For lens try to find Sigma/Tamron 17-50/2.8, Canon 50/1.8 and 55-250 STM. They're cheap pre-owned and much better than ones in pic.
>>
>>3493762
>>3493711
>This obsession with penis metering
The absolute state of Penfags in 2019.
>>
>>3493762
of course mirrorless have shit battery life, they have to keep the sensor fully powered at all times when using it as opposed to cameras with the reflex mechanism.
>>
I don't really care what u fags have to say, I'm getting a Sony as first camera.
>>
>>3493891
No you're not
>>
/p/ approved tripod?
>>
i'd like to specify, something around 100 USD would be ideal. thank you
>>
>>3493918
>>3493921
Q999H on aliexpress for 72.
>>
File: 1550000161073.jpg (150 KB, 499x500)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
Oy vey goy
Your Sensor business to too profitable for you
You must sell it away for your own good

https://www.dpreview.com/news/6783914192/sony-investor-calls-for-complete-spin-off-of-sensor-division
>>
>>3493924
is it better than Zomei Z688?
>>
>>3493961
>Zomei Z688
Why would you want a Tripod that costs more and lacks horistontal mode?
>>
Which is more important to you, the one with an EVF vs the one with a touch screen for menus plus touch-focus-shoot? Both have tilt screen, same price, same camera category.
>>
>>3493962
maybe zomei head better, maybe it build somewhat better. there is lots of specs beside horizontal mode.
and there is a sale at ali now, so both cost 70$
>>
>>3493967
An OVF and physical controls.
>>
>>3493970
>maybe
I don't trust this "Maybe", it seems to be based on something very unsubstantial.
>>
I need help finding an EDC camera. Something that can have manual and/or aperture-priority controls, while being compact and lightweight.

My main camera right now is a D810 but it just becomes way too heavy to carry on a daily basis.
>>
Any gear/accessories recommendations from AliExpress?
Buying a godox 350s now
>>
>>3494050
That's a good find. There is a TT350s for sale at 76 bucks there.
Normally they cost 84 bucks.

The only thing I buy from there was my Tripod.
>>
>>3494031
X100/s/t/f
>>
>>3494050
stuff like:
dual/triple battery charger
extra chink batteries
a set of flash gels
orig eneloop pros
mini portable tripod
hot shoe leveler
lcd protector
rear lens caps and body cap
blower

I haven't bought from aliexpress tho
>>
I'm a realtor and want to have a setup for photographing the interior/exterior of the homes I list. Recommendations as far as current gear goes?

Had a D3200 for a few years, but sold it after not using it for a while and now I need a DSLR again. Budget is moderate, also going to be buying a drone, so would like to keep it under 1500 if possible.
>>
>>3494083
mirrorless APSC body tilting/shifting Full Frame SLR lenses.
>>
>>3494083
d800 + 20mm 1.8G
next question
>>
>>3494096
>>3494093
Everyone on jewtube recommends the sony A6XXX series stuff, main benefits besides full frame vs crop with those?
>>
>>3494121
I already pointed out the benefit.
You can Shift-Adapt super cheap FF SLR lenses.

If you don't know what shifting is, then just use your smartphone.
>>
>>3494125
Would you also recommend the d800?
>>
>>3494130
Can a D800 shift adapt cheap FF lenses?
>>
>>3494131
So to be clear, you are for the APSC over the D800. You're being super vague for no reason, you could just answer the question.
>>
File: 1362255069822.gif (907 KB, 150x113)
907 KB
907 KB GIF
>>3494132
My first post to you was anything but vague, it was quite specific to be honest.
So my impression of you isn't very impressive.

Feel free to disregard my advice however you wish though.
>>
>>3494133
You're the kinda guy that replies "I DUNNO! CAN YOU?!" when someone asks if they can sit down.

Such a fucking muppet.
>>
>>3494134
Makes me curious how the conversation would have gone if I had opted to shit on you and make fun of you for not using shift capable lens for architecture shots.

You are obviously of the opinion that it isn't an important feature. Hence getting upset because a random person on the internet refuse to recommend the D800.
>>
>>3494125
>recommends a niche aspect to a complete newbie
Is this what sonyfags act like?
>>
>>3494140
>for photographing the interior/exterior of the homes
It sounds more like you are butthurt because you can't think of a FF Shifting option under 1500.
>>
>>3494135
>of the opinion
I'm not of any opinion, mong, that's why I'm asking you all for your opinions. I know what shifting is, I'm asking if that is the only benefit or if there is something more. Not upset at all, more amused at how snarky someone could be over such a trivial thing. I have no attachment to the D800.

>>3494140
This is also not me, nor are some of those other replies.
>>
>>3494140
I didn't know Sony was synonymous to mirrorless APSC.

You do realise that multiple brands offer mirrorless APS-C, right?
Just because Nikon is retarded doesn't mean the other brands are.
>>
>>3494146
>I have no attachment to the D800.
You seemed very upset when a random internet person wouldn't recommend it.
>>
>>3494147
Only Sonyggers argue shit like that. You're a Sonygger.
>>
>>3494149
>you
Again, not all the same person. I could care less about the brand.
>>
>>3494151
Remind me to buy you a tinfoil hat on your next birthday.
>>
>>3494155
/p/ has pretty much devolved into a shitboard, you will be accused of Sony shilling for even mentioning mirrorless APS-C.
I suspect you are part of the problem with the way you worded that post.
>>
>>3494155
Ty for your well thought out response. Really appreciate it.

I had seen the panasonics and fujis getting good marks on other places as well as the pentax. I'll check it out closer.
>>
>>3494157
It's funny how you reacted for someone to mention anything (in this case everything) else than Sony.

>>3494170
Anon made a mistake, for interior shots you definitely need FF to make use of the wide angle lenses. T/S is not really necessary, but a good quality 14-15mm lens looks much better on FF than on APS-C.
I'd say looking for a used D610/750 and a good quality 15mm lens would be the best for you. Canon 5DIIIs are still expensive even well used, Sony FF line is expensive too with it being the most expensive lens line as well.
>>
Bought this.

Horizontal Resolution144 dpi
Vertical Resolution144 dpi
Image Width727
Image Height616
>>
>>3494180
Nice, bro, I got one as well
It has such sharp images and pushing 2-3 stops in RAW is not a problem
>>
>>3494174
I was pretty much attacked for using a neutral term. (mirrorless APS-C)

The culprit is obviously a butthurt DSLR guy.
>>
>>3494186
It was thinly veiled sonyposting and you know it
>>
>>3494180
Did you take any photos with it?
>>
Got myself a piint&shoot because "the best camera is the one you have with you Yada Yada", but miss my DSLR's weathersealing.

What's a good option for shooting in the rain, other than a full underwater enclosure?
>>3491665
>>
>>3494213
Your DSLR
>>
>>3494213
punt$shoots sealing is better than most weather sealed bodies. Fixed lenses and all that. Could be that you have GR, in that case, I'm sorry for you.
>>
>>3494241
Yes, GR 3
>>
will the 42MP a7rii take sharper/crisper photos than the 24MP a7ii ? or is extra MP a gimmick? a7rii is much more expensive
>>
>>3494281
>will the 42MP a7rii take sharper/crisper photos
Yes, but you need good lenses for it go happen.
Like the GM lenses and the G lenses.

The down side is slow writing to memory card and higher filesize, and slow raw processing if your computer is weak.
That's why some people think 24MP is a good size.
>>
>>3494282

thanks for good information

since those lenses are so expensive, I will probably just not even look into this hobby anymore
>>
>>3494284

OK so I looked up Nikon stuff instead of Sony … bodies seem more expensive but the lenses seem infinitely more cheap

I essentially want CRISP, SHARP photos. I have been shooting with point-and-shoot and phone cameras for like 17 years. Started at 2 MP and I want a DSLR/Mirrorless FF that can make PHOTOS SO CRISP THE VIEWER'S CORNEA GETS SCRATCHED FROM LOOKING AT IT
>>
>>3494291
Nikon mirrorless lenses are even more expensive though.
Their DSLR lenses are cheaper because they are older and less sharp.
>>
>>3494291
> I essentially want CRISP, SHARP photos.
Anon, the bad news is that that is precisely what the pricey lenses for.

The high-resolution bodies are merely "the matching thing" in a sense when you're dropping ~$0.8-3.5k for most lenses and possibly ~$6-14k for a telephoto lens. Might even be a multiple pricier for medium format or "cinema" / broadcast video camera lenses.

For the most part, you get to pick either cheap OR sharp, not both. Of course you can have "sharper than p&S/phone camera" on $150-300, but that's different from CRISP, SHARP by IL camera standards.
>>
thinking about getting this used fujifilm x20 for 200 bucks. just something small to throw in the bag and use for quick point and shooting and taking out with friends and stuff when something huge has no place. Thoughts? Anyone have experienced with this?
>>
>>3494333
also, is that a good deal?
>>
>>3494333
> something huge has no place
Your problem is crappy backpacks/bags or laziness.

I don't believe for a second that you drag around huge telephoto lenses or a broadcast TV studio camera. And otherwise there basically never is a situation where you can't use a normal size IL camera.

> Anyone have experienced with this?
Sure, I know lazy people. They use such a setup, or a better variant, or their smartphone.
>>
>>3494341
yikes
>>
>>3494342
It is essentially a standalone smartphone camera with some zoom, and you want to use it because it's small and easy avoiding you all that "hassle" of carrying something ~the size of half a water bottle.

Go for it then.
>>
Is the M50 + 15-45mm worth it for a total beginner who've only shot film before
>>
>>3494350
> total beginner
The better cameras almost only make it easier to get good shots, not harder.

You could judge to an extent what camera might be appropriate based on how much money/time you were willing to sink into film before.
>>
>>3494333
I have one, it definitely hits far above its size in terms of IQ and it's fun to use. It's best kept under iso800 but with the fast lens and good image stabilization it's not too difficult.

Really its biggest weakness is the tiny battery. You'll need plenty of spares. The cheapo Chinesium ones don't last very long so be prepared to spend a little more for decent ones.

The video quality also sucks but who cares about that?
>>
>>3494352
I see you don't shoot very often
>>
>>3494364
I do. What are you on about?
>>
>>3494363
thanks friend
>>
>>3494363
Thanks for the tips man,I will prob shoot in viewfinder mode only,to be honest I've never owned a digital camera plus I only burn like 1 roll of film over the course of 6-7 days.
So yeah,maybe I can make do with the battery
>>
Hey /gear/lads

Redpill me on the Olympus e-m10 please.
Gonna be huge upgrade from my 450d. Plan on doing macro, street and generally everything with it. I have mainly choosen it bc the price/macro+street capabilities.
>>
>>3494385
III has a bit gimped features and customization compared to II. I return it gets very good 4k video output and uhs-ii.
>>
>>3494385
Get a 28mm equivalent lens for street, the Zuiko 60/2.8 macro lens is godlike.
Keep the kit lens for generic shit, but you'll need to upgrade later on. The 12-40/2.8 and 40-150/2.8 are pretty much recommended.
This will be pricy though, getting a fairly recent APS-C DSLR would get you better alternatives for lenses on the cheaper side, like the Tamron 17-50/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 IF Macro or USD. The Tamron 90/2.8 and Sigma 105/2.8 are pretty much great macro lenses as well. For street, on a Canon body the EF-S 24/2.8 is unbeatable in price/value.
>>
>>3494385
Don't buy it for one of the 30mm macro lenses. They're both good, actually offer higher magnification, but unpractical for moving subjects because of how close to them you need to be. Ether 60mm f2.8, or one of the cheaper manual options 7artisans 60mm f2.8, or Meike 85mm f2.8. 7artisans is new and getting pretty good reviews from what I could gather.
>>
File: 1558020680917.jpg (4.53 MB, 4272x2848)
4.53 MB
4.53 MB JPG
>>3494386
Yeah, sorry I am get the mk2 to be exact. Would be suprised if I ever used the video capabilities of it. Not that type of guy to be honest.
>>3494391
I will get the zuiko macro, when I save up for that. The bracketing feature could be VERY useful for pro tier macros, but it only works with some zuiko lenses. That one for example.
I prefer reversed+tubes tho and will stick to that for a while. Plus I have vintage lenses.
>Tamron 17-50/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 IF
kek I have the 17-50 but I am selling it, bc I don't "feel" it tb.h, I mostly use it's retarded cousin, the 17-200/3.5 it's good for tabletop, street, even cityscape /landscape. Macro on reversed. Kinda wish it was a 2.8 tho because my hands are too shaky and it's hard to use it on full extension.
tldr: Will buy the 60/2.8 but will use random shit lenses while I save up

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 450D
Lens Size18.00 - 200.00 mm
Firmware VersionFirmware Version 1.1.0
Serial Number-201445296
Lens Name18-200mm
Image Created2019:06:16 18:12:26
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/5.7
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length76.00 mm
Image Width4272
Image Height2848
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModeEvaluative
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationUnknown
ContrastHigh
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeLarge
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeContinuous
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceAuto
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed256
Color Matrix33
>>
>>3494395
Thanks for the info, I do actually need higher magnification and I almost exclusively macro watches (non-moving subject), will look into the the zuiko 30vs60 thing when get there will get the one I can get for cheaper if it supports the mentioned bracketing feature.
>>
>>3494380
I think you'll enjoy it if you're coming from film. The OVF coverage isn't the greatest but the zoom works nicely. Sometimes I just turn off image review and the screen and just wing it. It's very discreet too.
>>
>>3494332
>>3494292

I am sad
>>
File: 000066.jpg (2.27 MB, 3602x2480)
2.27 MB
2.27 MB JPG
>>3494410
What's your opinion regarding the kit lens,I've heard good things about,or else I might just buy a MF 22mm from the flea market in my town
My previous experience was with a Canon BF-8 with a 35mm f3.5 lens,So yeah im def sticking to 35mm for a while since imo it fits my style of shooting more than a 28 or a 50mm
Here's what I usually shoot,as you can see it's not the sharpest lens

Equipment MakeFUJI PHOTO FILM CO., LTD.
Camera ModelSP-3000
Camera SoftwareFUJI PHOTO FILM CO., LTD. FE FDi Service Software / FRONTIER355/375-3.0-0E-490
Image Created2019:05:23 18:13:00
Image Width3602
Image Height2480
>>
>>3494433
Are you talking about the X20 compact or the X-T20?

I don't know about the 18-55 but I use a 16-50 XC on my X-T1 and it's decent.
>>
I have a d7200 and want a prime 35mm lens. I'm pretty new to photography so maybe should just get the Nikon 35mm DX? I was thinking maybe a manual vintage lens like MC Mir 24n could be good--it was made with a Nikon mount. Quality seems good and cost is low, plus hopefully it will have a slightly different look to it. Anyone have experience or advice?
>>
>>3494437
https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-AF-S-NIKKOR-Focus-Cameras/dp/B001S2PPT0

surprisingly good quality for ridiculous price
>>
>>3494438
Yeah that's the DX lens I mentioned. So better that than a vintage Soviet one? Soviet lens can be even cheaper even, though I guess I'm more concerned about final look in the end. I'm interested in possibly getting some good character in the images.
>>
>>3494437

If You are after special old time look You could try 35mm f/2.8 Ai.
>>
Is the Tamron XR 28-75mm f/2.8 Di cheap because it's hot garbage or is it actually a decent midrange zoom for full frame?
>>
>>3494451
Why not check it out for yourself?
>>
>>3494452
Because I'm wondering whether or not I should buy it, and I want to hear opinions and experiences before I invest.
>>
POORFAGS STILL BTFO
>>
>>3494453
So you are physically incapable of googling the lens and "example shots" or "flickr" tagged on the end and you have to be specially spoonfed like a baby?
>>
>>3494453
Tamron have always being the top 3 zoom lens makers out there.

Their DSLR zooms were good, their new mirrorless zoom is even better.
>>
>>3494455

The fun thing about forums where you can make text posts is that you can share information with each other using those text posts. I've looked at fucking sample images already, but sample images don't really say anything about the experience of using a lens. I've read some reviews that do nothing but praise the lens and some that complain about its quality a lot, and now I'm asking /p/ for opinions as well.
>>
>>3494459
It's a barrel with glass it it.

What is it exactly you are expecting the reviewers to critisize it with?
>>
>>3494459
Not your personal review site, senpai
>>
>>3494451
Here, objective measurements:
https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Tamron/SP-AF28-75mm-f-2.8-XR-Di-LD-Aspherical-IF-Canon-mounted-on-Canon-EOS-70D__895

I wouldn't say this is great, but it's also surely not useless to everyone.
>>
>>3494464
>dxomark
PFFFTHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>3494473
Your artfag feels are worthless in terms of objectivity. Scientifically minded people want measurements, and DXO takes good measurements.
>>
>>3493762
lol my a7iii gets 800 shots easily
>>
>>3494474
...from their asses.
Objective measurements require open measurement methods. Can you show me where those measurements are being described in an objective way that is available to anyone?
If not, then those are just numbers that can be manipulated any way they can, just like they did with lenses available to several systems, all those systems having a wide variety of "scores".
If I am right, an objective measurement should be the same regardless of the system since it is only the lens that is being tested.
In my opinion DXO can bend their measurements any way they can and any way they are paid to. So they are far away from objectivity, senpai
>>
>>3494477
They explain how they measure and even sell much of the test equipment, plus the measurements match comparable ones by other parties well. They even tend to provide more measurement data than the average scientific paper.

Your complaints are absolutely pulled out of your ass.
>>
Going on a backpacking trip ( 6+ months, central and south america and spain)
Have around 550 usd as a budget, mainly gonna shot landscape, buildings and street photo

Any rec?
>>
>>3494482
Landscape/buildings might be nice with a wide/ultrawide lens. Could be something to buy.

It doesn't very easily fit in a 550 budget especially if you don't already have a camera body, though.
>>
>>3494436
Opps my bad should've mention that I'm asking about the 15-45mm EF-M lens
So far after hours on flickr comparing it with the 16-50,I can say its roughly the same
>>
A guy in the local photo group is selling his NX1. Is it okay to buy it? How is the lens and support going for it? I have to tell I have an ages old 1100D with kit lens only and thinking of upgrading now that I feel its limits and don't necessarily think in staying with the Canon line. I'd rather stay with DSLRs though.
Didn't know Samsung made cameras BTW.
>>
>>3494491
>How is the lens and support going for it?
They are dead.
>>
>>3494491
>Didn't know Samsung made cameras
They don't anymore. Image quality is pretty good, and they've unique look to them because they're using own sensors. Good for fooling around, pointless spending some semi serious cash on it.
>>
>>3494491
> NX1
Don't. It's dead.

> I'd rather stay with DSLRs though.
Feel free to, although there's really not any particular downside to current MILC.

> I have an ages old 1100D with kit lens only and thinking of upgrading now that I feel its limits
Should be easy, almost anything will be an upgrade.
>>
>>3494460
>>3494461

>/gear/ - Gear Thread
>All discussion and questions related to gear should take place in this exact thread.
>>
>>3494501
Tried out my friend's Sony something but I couldn't really connect with the digital screen instead of an OVF.
I felt the EVF more limiting than helpful, even my dark pentamirror viewfinder felt better
>>
>>3494501
>almost anything will be an upgrade
Not really, Canon sold the same thing up to the 1300D
>>
>>3491665
why would one put a kit lens on a $3000 camera inside a housing for 3300?
>>
>>3494560
I'd guess because it fits inside and you don't have to look for a pro enough lens for a simple product photo
>>
>>3494554
The EVF is mostly an advantage. More coverage in most cases and you can see better when it's getting darker.

YMMV on older lower end EVF, these didn't have reasonable framerates for capturing movement.
>>
>>3494573
There are various drawbacks still. Blackout is huge, lag compared to live picture, large battery drain...
>>
>>3494577
> Blackout is huge
Usually no blackout on current midrange or better, though it switches to non-live display in fast burst modes (slower burst modes at like 8fps remain live). You were using some older lower end model.

> large battery drain
Relatively speaking, but these now still run for like like 5h on a battery that you can quickly swap. Really not much of an issue unless you mainly do time lapses / very long exposures.

And even then you could also just use a larger power bank, battery grip or whatever other method to run the camera off bigger batteries.
>>
>>3494583
>Usually no blackout on current midrange or better, though it switches to non-live display in fast burst modes (slower burst modes at like 8fps remain live). You were using some older lower end model.

You are describing blackout... Going for non-live display IS blackout.
>>
Is the X100F good as an only camera, or is it a meme?
>>
>>3494593
No, blackout is just for when it's not displaying - slightly delayed images aren't blackout. Either way, the problem is not really problematic now that even this only happens with >8fps on most current cameras and not at all on the high end machine even at 20fps.

Tends to be the case that if you will constantly need fast bursts, you'll likely want the better model anyhow. - and if you're not, "only" 8fps bursts probably are going to be not very limiting.
>>
>>3494598
It's a small camera, a nice step up from a smartphone or P&S, but also quite a bit below what you could do with bigger lenses. Never mind *pricier* bigger lenses and bodies.

Figures you might just want to look at sample images (some in good light, some in poor light?) to guess if it is good enough for what you want to do.
>>
>>3494603
Thanks. Size is the main constraint, so it seems like a decent option.
>>
>>3494438
>https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-AF-S-NIKKOR-Focus-Cameras/dp/B001S2PPT0
>surprisingly good quality for ridiculous price
It has chromatic abberations EVERYWHERE
>>
How much should I pay for a Sony 6000? Is $340 too much from a basic white girl? It’s stick configuration.

What about a Nikon FG? I’m trying to pay around 60-80 for that and a Canon Ae-1.
>>
I want to start doing some environmental portraits, mostly related to photojournalism, and I need a light source. I'll be using a speed light, but what should I use as a diffuser? Octabox or Softbox? Bowen standard is better for control am I right?
>>
>>3494669
>Octabox or Softbox?
Doesn't matter much.

And the problem here will generally be that most speedlights aren't THAT great on a large softbox/octabox and [you might usually just as well bounce off a wall]. Meanwhile small octabox/softboxes don't do much at almost any range, they're acting basically like an undiffused point light source there anyhow.
>>
>>3494671
that's interesting

in that case the speed light itself on a 'tripod' would be better suitable to the situation?

Softbox I was thinking about was 60x90 and the octa was 95cm, both with grid included since I would like to control the light to my subject only.
>>
>>3494675
>in that case the speed light itself on a 'tripod' would be better suitable to the situation?
It wouldn't make much of a difference. A more powerful strobe on top of that portable flash might do more; there are a lot of rooms where you can bounce the light if you have a powerful one and if the walls have some color hue you can correct that in post.

>Softbox I was thinking about was 60x90 and the octa was 95cm
Big enough for head-shoulders and maybe upper body if people cooperate and you can set it up close I guess.

But can you always do that? Environmental portraits often tend to be larger, and actually there are quite a lot of issues with setting up smaller diffusers and crap when you do journalism other than longer interviews.

Ah well, I guess it's not too late to get more gear if the speedlights aren't nice enough. Maybe just get Godox rather than overpriced CaNikonSony 1st party pro speedlights.
>>
>>3494680
a strobe would be too much inconvenient to bring to some trips or assignments... I was thinking about some, but it need it to have a battery and those are too expensive to afford atm

I do have some assignment this Sunday, going to try just a speedlight with a honeycomb grid on it and I will see the results. hoping they deliver it next Friday tho

Yeah, I'm probably going Godox for the light diffusers, and if I need more speedlights I know we can buy those Yongnuo for very cheap too

do you work with those diffusers?
>>
>>3494681
> it need it to have a battery and those are too expensive to afford atm
Even an AD400Pro or such? The cheap ones are really good at this point. If I frequently shot people, I'd already own one or two.

> going to try just a speedlight with a honeycomb grid on it and I will see the results
Sure.

> if I need more speedlights I know we can buy those Yongnuo for very cheap too
I love the YN660, but unless you're just operating one, I think it's a bit problematic for photojournalism, events and so on. TTL is faster than you can operate these even with their nice controls (or the 560-TX).

[And the TTL Yongnuo I was generally not a fan of.]

> do you work with those diffusers?
Yes, I also use a Godox' Bowens mount sofbox octagon and a bunch of rectangular diffusers occasionally. I don't primarily photograph people though.
>>
File: IMG_20190609_104017_397.jpg (1.15 MB, 3492x3492)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB JPG
Opinions on what gear to take on vacation? t. Very noob question time

I'm headed to Bermuda in two weeks with a few day stop in Boston so I can go see the spooky Wich stuff in Salem. I want to take my Olympus om10 and shoot b/w in Salem, but the problem is space in my poorfag camera bag.

I have to choose pretty much 2 lenses to take for my DSLR (APSC) and if you could help that'd be great.

My choices are
40mm vs 50mm
18-55mm kit lens vs 55-250mm

The Olympus is rocking a zukos 50 if that helps
>>
>>3494793
Bring a backpack rather than the undersized bag, take all 3-4 lenses.

If you don't want to do that, why don't you already know which lenses YOU like best?
>>
>>3494453
Tamron image quality is great, but my lenses (70-200/2.8 VCD and 45/1.8) autofocus is slow as fuck compared to native Canon. Also I've heard that there is more variation among individual lenses.
>>
>>3494817
that 45mm Tamron is my favorite lens
>>
Is getting a 14mm lens on my APS-C a good idea for star photography? Or should I go with 10mm?
>>
>>3494902
How about the Samyang 12mm f/2? Exists for practically any MILC mount. MFT, Canon M, Sony E, Fuji X, even Samsung NX.
>>
>>3494910
Anything equivalent for a DSLR Canon? I wish I got an MILC.
>>
I caved in and bought a CV40. Hold me /p/.
The only excuse I had was that it was heavily discounted.
>>
File: _20181116_143202.jpg (1.54 MB, 2208x1442)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB JPG
i'm just a poorfag amateur hobbyist (well, pursuing multimedia professionally was my dream but the reality of being a wagie to the rest of my life hit me). I used to have a pass-me-down really old canon something-D (didn't have a memory card slot, only those flash card types) but it broke and the repair cost wasn't worth it. I kept the lens though but I don't know how good condition it is.
now I take potato photos with my 5/13MP shitty phone and at this point just about ANYTHING is an upgrade I guess (as you can see in pic very related).

given all this, is there any camera I can buy for my needs? at all?
preferably something that can record video as well

tl;dr
>poorfag 3rd world amateur hobbyist
>west europe
>has one dslr camera lens, unsure about condition
>something with video recording (not obligatory but a bonus)
>happy with dslr or otherwise
>budget: the cheaper the better (under 200€ max)

thank you

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image Width2394
Image Height1564
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2019:06:16 19:30:24
Image Width2208
Image Height1442
>>
>>3494921
forgot to mention, there's a panasonic lumix dmc-sz10 for 140€ at a local store if it's any worth it
>>
>>3494923
Image quality will be alright, but they're honestly no fun to use. Battery life and controls are very limited. Look at used dslr, mirrorless with lenses, and similar pnshoots that offer a bit better controls. Should be able to get used lx100 for around 200, used Lumix GH1, G2 with kitlens, Sony nex-7... Best would probably be used apsc canon, since that's what you've probably that lens for. Though, mirrorless have an advantage of using retro manual focus lenses with adaptor that you can buy for cheap.
>>
>>3494923
don't buy that tiny sensor bullshit.
>>
>>3494934
>>3494937
yeah, figures... maybe overall I really should stay away from local stores even though shipping from online costs a bitch. asswipes always sell outdated shit with jacked up unfair prices.

is buying used stuff (on local craigslist or ebay or whatever) a good idea or should I aim for something brand new?
>>
>>3494970
Used. For 200 you don't bother with anything else. Sensors tech isn't advancing fast lately, so it's better to buy older feature packed bodies than new lower end models with gimped features.
>>
>>3494921
200 Eur pretty much doesn't let you choose anything but older not so great used gear. I guess you just have to get what you can off that market.

>>3494993
Sensor tech has advanced quite a lot, and so has just about everything else. It's just all out of reach.
>>
>>3495043
>Sensor tech has advanced quite a lot, and so has just about everything else. It's just all out of reach.
Not really. It has somewhat stalled after first 10+ years of this millennium. First generation Sony A7 has as good dynamic range as the latest models, only high ISO performance of brand new cameras has got better. All things companies are hyping nowadays are pretty lame compared to what we got 10 years ago.
When they're talking why camera sales have dropped in last few years, one reason is that you don't need new camera to take great photos anymore.
>>
>>3495116

Autofocus, FPS and video is what's driving tech now
>>
Hi /p/. Got a Fujifilm X-T100 as an entry camera for me and my gf to learn photography.
We had some DSLRs in the past but this is the first camera that we paid ourselves. The electronic zoom feels weird, but overall we like the photos we took so far.

Does it make sense to pay extra money to get a nice lens with manual zoom, or would it be wasted on this camera? If so, which lens should we get? My gf mostly shoots generic Instagram shit and I'd like to try some urban photography sometimes.
At which point does it make sense to upgrade the camera body/sensor?
Does the quality between different bodies change that much?
>>
is the Blackmagic Pocket 4K actually the best value for shooting film? or is there something else i'm missing?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.