[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 102 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Previous >>3472014

Tilt Shift Edition

All discussion and questions related to gear should take place in this exact thread.

Redirection to this thread for questions is encouraged.
>>
Any recommended small point and shoots with a viewfinder that will fit into a jacket pocket? There’s so many I get overwhelmed when googling.
>>
Need a good tripod for video. Everything is either stupidly expensive or utter shit. Please help. Just need simple nice smooth tilts.
>>
>>3476662
Used fluid head with used legs. Manfrotto is cheap because some people like to hate it. See if you can replace the QR head and put on a chink arca-swiss replacement and a proper arca-swiss plate.
>>
>>3476635
GR II/III with mini ovf
OLY XZ-2 or Pana LX-100 if you are a zoom pleb
>>
>>3476635
RX100 5A
>>
File: DSC08347-01.jpg (2.11 MB, 3324x2211)
2.11 MB
2.11 MB JPG
someone noobpill me on tilt lenses, how the fuck do those worknand whats the big deal between the bokeh you get with these lenses, or just using 1.8 and zooming onto a busy intersection from a rooftop?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-6000
Camera SoftwareSnapseed 2.0
Maximum Lens Aperturef/6.3
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)315 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2019:02:23 23:31:04
Exposure Time1/400 sec
F-Numberf/6.3
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating640
Brightness7.5 EV
Exposure Bias0.3 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceShade
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length210.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width3324
Image Height2211
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3476740
They're not for bokeh. They're for architecture and occasionally landscape. When you're shooting a skyscraper and you tilt up or down on it, you'll get geometric distortions on vertical lines. Tilt shift's lines will stay straight.
>>
Am I retarded for spending money to get the EF-S 18~135 IS STM to replace my EF-S 18~55 IS
so I dont have to swap lenses all the time
>>
How do remote cords work, is it just connecting two terminals? Because I want one but I don't want to buy one
>>
>>3476831
try searching instead for "perspective control photography"
>>
Are either of these camera bags worth it?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DSLR-Waterproof-Canvas-Camera-Bag-Multi-functional-Photography-Bag-Outdoor-Wear-resistant-Camera-Backpack-for-Canon/33000135058.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Professional-Retro-Fashion-Casual-Waterproof-Canvas-Camera-Tripod-Bag-Photography-Tripod-DSLR-Backpack-for-Canon-Nikon/32900627479.html

or is there something better for the price?
>>
>>3476673
>gr3
by all accounts no
>>
Going on a trip soon where I hope to see some wildlife. I have a full frame nikon and a 70-200. Amazon lens, not so good for wildlife.

Should I bite the bullet and get the 200-500, or perhaps buy a 2nd hand crop body like a d7x00 and a 1.4 or 1.7 teleconverter?

I'm a part time worker, full time student, so budget does factor into it write a bit!
>>
>>3477020
Are you going to use the lens for a bunch of other stuff after your trip?

If not, just rent.
>>
>>3477020
Well consider >>3477029's point. But if you do want to buy the 200-500 is good and inexpensive, and Nikon put it on sale recently, I think that's still going. That kind of reach on full frame doesn't really come much cheaper.

I presume you already know all the usual caveats: It's f/5.6 so you better have enough light, its big and heavy so you'll have to carry it around and I hope you lift if you want to handhold it for any length of time, make sure you check if it needs AF fine tune before you leave, etc.
>>
I have an APS-C sensor Canon DSLR. I'm looking for a relatively cheap lens (~$300 max) that will provide great low-light performance. I don't really mind what the focal length is. I mainly shoot portraits and street photography.
>>
>>3477029
My issue with renting (at least here in Australia) for this lens is if you rent it for 2 or more weeks... You may as well buy one. It's pretty expensive.

>>3477034
Thanks. I guess I am just tossing up whether I buy it, or compromise with the 70-200 going down a stop and a half and getting ALMOST the same range on a crop body...
>>
>>3477069
>Thanks. I guess I am just tossing up whether I buy it, or compromise with the 70-200 going down a stop and a half and getting ALMOST the same range on a crop body...
Literally might as well save money, just use a tele with your full frame, then crop in post. Literally the same thing.
>>
>>3477069
Lmao, the only rebtal places have like a 2 year lease
>>
>>3477069
sigma 100-400mm?
it's a lot sharper than the 200-500mm so you'll be able to pull out more detail so the 400mm might not be a problem
I don't know, I don't do wildlife
>>
>>3477020
A 70-200/2.8 with a 2x TC is often used as a beginners wildlife lens, and you only need the TC.
You can also try the earlier AF 300/4 (non PF) and a 1.4x TC.
>>
>>3477044
Nifty 50 and a tripod
Your likely going to be more limited by the camera being a low end rebel which are not great at low light because small limited iso sensor.
Any wide open f2.8 or greater lens with image stabilization is gonna be more than 300$
>>
File: pentax.jpg (114 KB, 1280x934)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
What's a good and cheap second hand telephoto lens for with a K-mount, Focal length of 50+ in full frame.
>>
>>3477232
Tamron 70-200/2.8 IF Macro
FA/D-FA 100/2.8 Macro
DA* 200/2.8
SMC K/M 135mm
>>
Are those colorful straps a good idea if I want to appear like a carry a cheap shit camera? And are they good?
>>
File: grgr.jpg (13 KB, 216x245)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
oh my god i love tilt shift lenses, i used to have a Canon FD 35mm/2.8 SSC tilt shift lens, i sold it because i have to save up for an 800mm canon lens and i needed money. i miss that lens though :(
>>
>>3477323
god no. everyone in my photography class in high school had these on their shitty Canon T3s and such. if you want to seem like a little baby that puts rocks in random spots and takes close up shots of soda cans or dogs then go for it. if you want someone to take you seriously, then hell no dont use those straps
>>
>>3477323
now i want a ddpat strap
>>
>>3477323
imo having a strap at all makes a camera look expensive
>>
>>3476784
yes
>>
>>3476592
>>
Has anyone here made their own V-Flats? I've read to use Gatorfoam, but it's really expensive.
>>
>>3477044
50mm f1.8 usm or you may be able to find a used f1.4 for $300
>>
>>3477424
No sign of gatorboard for me in my area

I have made a few version with cheap pink styrofoam board and matte black spray paint. First version i didn't take the time to make very small light coat of paint so the Styrofoam was bend in less than 24hours. Last version was good many much longer but Styrofoam is not a practical material to be moved around so it will scuffed and bend pretty easily.

I bought some metal tubing at my local hardware store to make an "sheet hanger" style vflat. Will figure out what material I will use with the frame.
>>
What do you guys think of the 7D Mark II, and can I work semi-professionally with it? I can't really afford the jump to full frame since I'd have to update my ef-s lenses. I'm still rocking a 600D (T3i), mainly interested in more AF points, dual pixel AF, dual card slot and low light performance. Maybe there's another option I'm missing here.
>>
>>3477521
Canon crop generally is no good for low light.
If you have to work with it I'd suggest saving up some money on a used 5DIII or maybe a 6DMkII and get the EF 24-105/4 L IS
>>
>>3477529
>Canon crop generally is no good for low light.
the fuck are you talking about, the difference is barely noticable unless you pixel peep
>>
>>3477530
For hobby it is perfectly acceptable, but for work it is not. Demand is different when you bread and butter depends on the pixel level stuff.
>>
>>3477529
Really not feeling the single lens idea. Besides, what you propose is three times the cost so I could pick some primes anyways.
>>
>>3477545
In that case I'd rather go for the 80D, it is cheaper and has a more recent sensor than the 7DMkII.
Get a Sigma 15-35/1.8, but take your sweet time testing it, you might have to return a few until you get one that has a more reliable AF drive. Other option is the Sigma 30/1.4.
It isn't impossible to do pro work on crop, some people even specialize in that aspect, but mostly on Nikon, Fuji, Pentax and Oly. You really have to support your sensor disabilities with nice bright lenses.
>>
>>3477530
It's not unless you have 70/77/80d
Anon said a lens under 300$ so I'm assuming he's not using one of those
>>
>>3476856
Don't cheap out on a bag and don't pay extra for a "photography bag"
You want your bag to be as durable as possible, and maybe light too if you care
Fashion is not a priority don't buy some fuckboy looking shit

Get a normal bag, look into nice hiking backpacks, military surplus works well too, then buy a padded photography bag insert for like 20 bux and put that in any bag you like
Bonus points if you pair it with a proper sealed waterproof dry sack
Then you can drop your bag in a lake and your equipment would still be fine
>>
Why is the Canon EOS M5 more expensive than the M50 when the M50 is newer and has better specs?
>>
>>3477371
I never considered that but that seems reasonable
>>
>>3477802
Few more dials, better battery and higher quality build. No reason to go for m5, though.
>>
>>3477826
there's no reason to go EOS-M at all really
>>
>>3477829
m50, m3 and all the lenses are very tempting. You don't go for vid, but at least you see company doing something for the mount. Sony has completely abandoned apsc lens r&d.
>>
Why doesnt Sony have any super telephoto lenses?

Is it because their autofocus when using telephoto lenses cant keep up with the likes of a DSLR?
>>
Canon EOS M100
Fujifilm X-A3
Sony α5100 Kit
which one of those should i chose for a first camera or should i go for a compact ? i don't want dlsr for the size reason
>>
>>3477839
If you go Fuji, don't get the XA-3 unless you really like selfies. Stretch up to the X-T20 or X-T100, or the X-T10 if you wanna be cheap. Having a viewfinder makes a big difference.
>>
has anyone used 7artisans lenses? i gotta say $100 for a prime cinelens for mft is pretty amazing
>>
Fyi
>>
the xpro2 is weather resistant right? that means I can take it out when its raining without worrying my camera will die?
any alternatives or am I good to go with the xpro2? I don't need the ovf, but I don't mind it
>>
>>3478159
If you pair it with weather resistant lenes you should be fine. Very low worst case scenario with regular lenses is that water comes in from the lens and fries your body. Still, don't go crazy in ether case. Be very carefully around salt water.
>>
I need 10bit for underwater use.

Currently have a GH5 and GH5S.

They're fucking enormous and difficult to use. Anything smaller that has 10bit 422?
>>
>>3478086
>buying from the manufacturers website
nobody actually does this right?
>>
>>3478190
Depends on the price.

Also, you can use it for price matching
>>
Is Sony still manufacturing the A7ii and A7Rii?
>>
Nikon DF for $1100 a decent deal?
I really dig the design, and I already own older nikon glass.
>>
Stupid question.
But is the a6000 still the best bang for your buck mirrorless camera?
>>
>>3478380
depends on your definition of bang, but it is pretty good
>>
>>3478394
I want to do mostly want to take picture in the city. We also have a pretty neat zoo
>>
>>3478395
sounds fun!
well, pretty much all cameras are pretty good, so that should be fine
>>
>>3478380
If you have quite a limited budget, yes, especially used. Plus if you want to get in one of those low cost, sharp E mount Sigma primes, also yes. I bought one last year because of what you've said. But of course, there are better alternatives but at a higher price point tho.
>>
>>3478404
arguably the a5100 is even better value
>>
>>3478413
yes, but no EVF nor hot shoe
>>
>>3477837
They are supposedly waiting for the Olympics before they launch those together with the A9II.
>>
I want to get a drone for aerial photography.
Is a DJI Spark good for mainly photos or do I have to spend more on a Mavic Pro/Air?
I have experience in flying RC planes and racing drones so flying it will be no problem.
>>
>>3477232
55-200
>>
>>3477529
All crops generally are, in a similar generation. Even newer better ones like the Sony 6500 or 6400 are a stop worse than the much maligned 6dmk2.
>>
File: Vivitar VIV-DF-586.jpg (20 KB, 409x450)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
How much better is a ring flash with GN 59 from one having GN 49? For macro.
>>
>>3478567
Half a stop brighter at the same distance.
They're both far too powerful for macro distances, I doubt you'd be using it at more than 1/32 power anyway.
>>
Can we expect a D760 this year? Hard to picture with the mirrorless craze.
>>
>>3478582
possibly
>>
>>3478579
>too powerful

I wish. I use the GN 49 at full power and it barely touches the macro shots when the lens is at f/8. God forbid I go higher than 1:1 magnification ratio. The light is an LED which seems to be shit and I think the companies lie about the GN numbers. The on-camera flash is only GN22 and it is way better and brighter than the ring light, but its position is just terrible.
>>
File: evans all smiles.jpg (52 KB, 377x566)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>tfw happy with the gear you have
>>
>>3478579
Macro distances are factored and calculated differently. At 1:1 the f-stops are doubled. So an f/8 becomes an f/16 as far as light is concerned.
>>
>>3478582
after the D6 is coming out to share the af and ibis system probably and isn't the rebel sl3 doing well?
I think DSLRs will still have a place in this world for heavy duty work, sports and wildlife which guarantees a market for it.

how's mirrorless autofocus nowadays? not having to microadjust lenses seems really nice.
I know the autofocus for video and accurate/smooth tracking is a lot better thanks to on-sensor pdaf but not as good at acquiring autofocus as DSLRs have thanks to a bigger/longer pdaf sensor but I can easily see that changing in the future.
>>
>>3478499
anyone?
>>
>>3478644
spark suck, mavic is much better, especially from a handling standpoint. Check the airspace you live in first because dji might not let you fly period (you can use litchi if you don't get their controller with the integrated screen)
>>
>>3478499
just throw your camera into the air with a timer dude
>>
>>3478654
How about I throw YOUR camera in the air on a timer, maybe near a huge body of water?
>>
>>3478657
I've gotten amazing underwater shots that way
>>
>>3478663
Ah, you use Pentax, huh?
>>
Can someone recommend to me a lens for my Nikon d3300 for shooting portraits? I only have a 55-200mm lens and the 18-55mm kit lens
>>
>>3478703
AF-D 50/1.8
>>
>>3478704
Wait, no, that one won't work with yours.
Get the newest DX 50/1.8, G or what it is called
>>
>>3478588
I wish I knew this feel
>>
>>3478705
Thanks (:
>>
>>3478703
tamron 45mm 1.8 VC if you want some serious quality with stabilization and 50mm 1.8G if you need something cheap but still decent enough.
>>3478714
yeah.
it kinda sucks not having a screwdrive motor while doing portraiture because some af-d glass is particular is so good for it while being extremely cheap.
>>
>>3478188
What exactly is the problem with something being a bit huge when working underwater? I can imagine it being a bit easier
Serious question and no I don't have an answer for your question
>>
>>3478739
Getting it to and from the water.
>>
>>3478586
Wait what??
Are you talking about GN in feet maybe?
Cause GN49 in feet is barely GN16 in meters, I was assuming meters.
>>
Are there any small P&S worth getting that is better than a phone? My friend is asking. I said you can get an EOS M100 used for really cheap with the 18-55 and that should be better than a phone but too big for him I guess.
>>
I'm looking at buying a lens on eBay and I see listings for lenses from Japan that are brand new and in box and cost $500 less than I can get normally. I think the catch is that it's got a Japanese warranty of 1 year? What does that mean? Can I not use the warranty? Should I buy this or will it be a bad idea?
>>
>>3478887
Panasonic Lumix LX-100, Pentax MX-1, Olympus XZ-2, Sony RX-100V
>>
>>3478917
Import tax
>>
Beginner concert photographer/videographer looking to purchase my own equipment (have been practicing on work equipment for a couple years now -- Canon 80D with 17-55 f/2.8)

Need something excellent in low light and competent shooting video as well as photo (I expect to take on some non-concert work while I'm starting out so I'll want to stay versatile). Preferably under $3,000 if at all possible.
>>
>>3478921
go talk to the /vidya/ guys (video general)
>>
>>3478380
gx85 with 12-32 and 45-150 is $500 new
>>
Cheap filters, yes or no?
Any brands I should look into for affordable filter sets?
>>
>>3479155
>imma spend $899 for this lens to get decent iq out of it
>let me put a $20 piece of plastic or glass in front of it.
>>
>>3479156
I have not experimented with any filters yet, I want to play with some "ok" cheaper ones to see if I like to use them, then I can buy nice filters if I so choose.
Not spend a shit load of money just to find out I never use 90% of them
It's just common sense anon
>>
>>3479158
Just get a good CPL, a good 3 stop, and you'll be mostly set to do just about anything you want. Maybe a GND if you're super into doing landscapes.
>>
Gonna be traveling all around my country for about 5-6 months, 350 usd as a budget, my main use gonna be photo, zero interest on video, some landscape, street and city and seldomly portraits photos.

Any suggestion?
>>
What's the best place to go to get used camera shit? Just ebay?
>>
>>3479277
The internet
>>
>>3479278
Gotta link for that?
>>
>>3479277
ebay
is it the best? no
but it certainly makes things easier for buyers
>>
Friend of mine has a D3200. She only has the 18-55 kit lens (3.5-5.6, I think) and an old, manual 50mm nikkor that I got for her.
I found a NIKKOR 1.8G DX 35mm AF-S for $100. Will it beat out her kit lens in image quality, etc.? Or is it a waste of time?
>>
>>3479279
www.internet.org
>>
>>3479309
Yes the 35mm 1.8G DX will definitely outperform any version of the 18-55 kit lens
>>
>>3479309
it'll rape the kit lens and also rape the rape babies
>>
>>3479339
>>3479338
I'm sorry to ask like a dumbfuck, but how will it do so? What's the real world difference? Or, more personally, what's your reasoning behind it?
>>
>>3479341
optical quality
>>
>>3479341
sharpness, colors, corners and wider aperture
can't say that the 35mm dx in particular is especially good but it sure as hell beats the kit lens
>>
>>3479341
As a rule of thumb, if a zoom is good it isn't cheap. This is basically because it's really complicated to make a zoom that stays sharp through its entire focal range, so cheap zoom lenses will tend to be sharpest at just one of the available focal lengths in the zoom range with the rest of the range just being meh. That and it's the kit lens. They want to encourage you to spend $$$$ on better lenses so they're just...functional. They do the job, but not super well.

The 50mm on the other hand is basically THE lens. How to make one that's really high quality for dirt cheap was figured out decades ago, and it's a prime, so mechanically and optically, it's far simpler because they don't have to worry about correcting for one kind of distortion at one end of a zoom range then the other kind at the other end, then correcting the aberrations that all of those corrective elements introduced.
>>
File: 1548186465049.jpg (147 KB, 914x545)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
Is it dumb if I want a DSLR simply because it's heavier/bulkier? It feels like it'd be way more ergonomically satisfying than a mirrorless that is half the size/weight.
>>
>>3479365
Not really. Balance and ergonomics are things. Using something like a 70-200 2.8 on a mirrorless kinda sucks, especially the tiny crop sensor mirrorless bodies. There's just not enough to comfortably hold onto.

But that's the cool thing about the market right now. You can make whatever choice works best for you.
>>
>>3479365
Get an old single digit pro body for cheap, toss a fat fuck 2.8 zoom on it, and carry it around wherever you go. Get it out of your system, it's great until reality and practicality set in. My neck is turbo ripped from years of carrying them around but it sounds like breaking bundles of raw spaghetti when I tilt it. Also hiking across a sand dune with a D2 and a slew of ancient metal battleship lenses was one of the worst experiences of my life.

Now I shoot APS-C mirrorless instead.
>>
>>3479369
...you realize there's a middle ground, right?
>>
>>3479365
You're dumb because you ask questions like you're trying to get a sexual thrill out of us saying "haha, yep!!"
>>
>>3479371
Yeah, but if one wants a DSLR for bulk and weight, go big or go home, right?
>>
>>3479365
> It feels like it'd be way more ergonomically satisfying than a mirrorless that is half the size/weight.
Not my experience. Decent glass on a FF MILC alone has some weight - even if it's a very noticeable bit less weight than on the DSLR pendants, it's still plenty.

Pic related is one of the good lenses that isn't terribly heavy, but you'll likely still feel even that one within the hour.
>>
>>3479365
weight helps for handheld stabilization, otherwise it's stupid, just make sure you get a camera with a proper grip on it.
>>
>>3479375
No, it is typically used as a photographic device. Stuff your pants if you want to appear bigger.

A DSLR / MILC may be chosen because of specific features on a specific model or because of prior investment into the lens system or any other such reasons.
>>
How fucking scrawny is /p/
Are you all literally bug men?

I'm 5'9 150lb and carry a 70-300 around all day innawoods with no issue.
Seriously just buy a 10$ strap that's not 1" wide like the shit that comes in the box, then sling it over your shoulder like a bag instead of hanging yourself with it only around your neck.
>>
What kind of bags should I be looking at if I intend to carry an XT2 with 23 f/2 WR, 18-55, and that's it. I need to carry only that in terms of camera gear, but then other stuff like a laptop, jacket, etc. I sort of want access to the camera from the part that faces my back, like on those f stop bags.
>>
File: cameras.jpg (37 KB, 720x293)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
Thoughts? I'm going to get the A6000 with a 16-50mm lens today for $500.
>>
>>3479396
Why?
>>
>>3479392
Look at the national geographic bags on Ali express
>>
My helios 44-2 cracked and now I'm looking for a lense in that focal length, currently I'm looking at the 7 artisans 55m 1.4 if i get the minolta 50mm 1.7 including the adaptors and shipping would cost me the same as the 7artisans, is the 7artisans worth it over vintage lenses?
>>
What kind of bags should I be looking at if i want to carry an XT2, 23 f/2 WR, and the 15-55 f/2.8, and then a bunch of other stuff like a laptop or jacket, or other things one might pick up while traveling during the day. Basically a regular bag that has a good camera holding system, preferably with back panel access to the camera or side. Those Shimoda or F stop bags look nice but they're really expensive and I'm not hiking snowy mountains or anything, just some rain covers would be fine.
>>
>>3479417
Actually I'm not too keen on the side opening for fear of somebody opening it to steal my shit or perhaps it would just fall out then.
>>
>>3479417
Caden on Ali express
>>
>>3479396
I bought one last year. If you have a limited budget, it's fine. Also, the body and kit lens combo is lightweight and compact so a wrist strap for a point and shoot camera goes well with it.
>>
>>3479449
Also, you can get it cheaper bnew with sony intl wrty.
>>
Any thoughts on older used DSLR's in the 250-400$ range? Need something for my trip to Japan coming up and just shooting random shit like my cars and whatnot. Used to be into film years ago bla blah. Been looking at anything from a Nikon D70s to a Nikon 5200 i found for $350.
>>
>>3479452
>Used to be into film years ago bla blah
Do you already have any lenses?
>>
>>3478524
The DA 50-200 is absolutely horrifying, wouldn't recommend to anyone

t. have one
>>
>>3479384
It's just one single autist samefag shilling, now it's the usual MILC vs DSLR, sometimes it is Fuji vs everything, but mostly Sony vs everything
It is easy to recognize his posting style and we are fairly sure he never actually used a camera before. It is best to ignore his screechings.
>>
>>3479462
there is no 55-200 so he might have plausibly meant the 50-200/4.0-5.6 or the 55-300/4.0-5.8.

I agree with your assessment of the 50-200. The 55-300 is better, but it is still a consumer telezoom. It's decent and okay, not exemplary.
>>
>>3479452
Old cameras are fine as long as you don't need extremely clean high ISO capability. The D200 is a vastly better camera than the D70s and costs about the same. Magnesium frame, weather sealing, much better finder, better AF, etc.
>>
File: DSCF2869.jpg (307 KB, 1500x1000)
307 KB
307 KB JPG
Got a bit of a poll for you guys:
1) Does your most expensive lens + body combo cost more than your average monthly income?
2) Does your total of all lenses and bodies cost more than your average monthly income?
3) Are you a professional photographer?

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX100F
Camera SoftwareWindows Photo Editor 10.0.10011.16384
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Maker Note Version0130
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2017:06:17 17:23:05
Exposure Time1/140 sec
F-Numberf/2.5
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/2.5
Brightness3.9 EV
Exposure Bias0.3 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length23.00 mm
Image Width1500
Image Height1000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
SharpnessNormal
White BalanceAuto
Chroma SaturationNormal
Flash ModeUnknown
Focus ModeAuto
Slow Synchro ModeOff
Picture ModeProgram AE
Continuous/Bracketing ModeOff
Blur StatusOK
Focus StatusOK
Auto Exposure StatusOK
>>
File: IMG_5467.jpg (1.16 MB, 2694x2433)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB JPG
>>3479467
1) No. £700 vs £2400.
2) No. £90 vs £2400.
3) Been shooting as a hobby for about 5 years.
>>
>>3479467
>Does your most expensive lens + body combo cost more than your average monthly income?
No
>Does your total of all lenses and bodies cost more than your average monthly income?
Yes
>Are you a professional photographer?
No
>>
>>3479468
£900*
>>
>>3479467
>1) Does your most expensive lens + body combo cost more than your average monthly income?
More than my freely disposable monthly income ever was [not more than my monthly income was, but that's a rather useless metric].

Good thing probably nobody needs to buy one of either / both every month, or this would actually be an expensive hobby, not a cheap one.

> 3) Are you a professional photographer?
No.
>>
File: 1557736650290[1].png (800 KB, 478x598)
800 KB
800 KB PNG
Tamron 150-600
>>
>>3479384
>carry a 70-300 around all day
And that's likely a not terribly heavy APS-C or MFT lens? 700g or something?

A decent FF 70-200 is typically 2-3 times that weight, and that's of course not even one of the heaviest options for a lens. That's probably part of the difference here. Maybe you're also just more fit.
>>
best cheap wide angle wide aperture m43 lens?
>>
>>3479488
I recall one of the best cheap ones was the samyang 12mm/f2, this might still be the case.
>>
>>3479467
>1) Does your most expensive lens + body combo cost more than your average monthly income?
No
>2) Does your total of all lenses and bodies cost more than your average monthly income?
No
>3) Are you a professional photographer?
No
>>
>>3479467
1)No, $2500 vs $11000
2)No $3500 + $500 if you count my action camera
3)No, I make no money off my photography
>>
>>3479480
>heavy dust pump with the resolution of a cheap consumer kit telezoom
>>
>>3479452
d7100/d7000 with a 35mm lens or d700 with a 50mm, all you'll ever need
>>
I'd like to jump to full frame (used) with something bigger than 24MP, the D810 seems to be in a sweet spot. Am I missing another good option, and is something coming out in the next months worth considering? Also, can I expect its price to drop in the near future now that people dump their gear for mirrorless?
>>
>>3479560
> with something bigger than 24MP
Keep in mind lenses matter to an extreme degree with regards what actual resolution you get even on 24MP, never mind beyond. Having a 42MP image with ~12MP-ish lens resolution is just a storage / editing issue, not much fun beyond that and it'd have been quite (although not exactly) comparable to shoot this on a 24MP same sensor size camera already.

If you want something good there, you'll have pretty significant costs on that end.

> another good option
The A7 III should be worth looking at.
>>
>>3479560
Pentax K-1
>>
>>3479525
Are you in law or the stock market, trucking or welding?
Where the fuck does one earn 11 grand a month and how do I get in on the action?
>>
What's a /p/ recommended cheap flash? Looking for something under 100 that can be used in a wireless setup for later.
>>
>>3479732
being good in school, getting a high paying sciences/engineering job
>>
>>3479753
Godox TT600 for manual, TT350 for TTL
>>
>>3479782
>>
>>3479785
So in direct sunlight? Deleted my question as it seemed more fitting for the general question thread, not the gear thread, but thanks.
>>
>>3479791
yes, also at night where shit like street lights will create very obvious flares
Don't waste money on the overly expensive canon ones tho just find out what model you need for your lens and put it in amazon and the cheap ones will show up
>>
>>3479791
It's ok, gear = tech as well.
>>
>>3479732
i work a government job as an investigator
>>
Do you guys put your camera lens down or lens up in your bag?
>>
>>3479920
That is stupid, if I was putting my lens up into the bag it would fall down right away, also everything would fall out of my bag from being turned over my head
>>
File: 51ItDSwOoJL._SL1000_.jpg (46 KB, 1000x1000)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
Are these a meme? I'm new to photography, been told to get these for any lenses I buy to protect the glass. Will they degrade image quality at all or fuck with the light etc?
>>
File: uv-night-ghosting2.jpg (414 KB, 1920x1080)
414 KB
414 KB JPG
>>3479933
Yes, one created by camera stores to sell you shit you don't need. First of all, it's extremely rare to actually damage the front element of a lens. The optical glass used for front elements is MUCH more durable than people think, and modern multicoatings are extremely hard. In 20+ years, I've never damaged one, and I'm not particularly careful with my gear. Second, a minor scratch on the front element has a negligible effect on image quality. Deep chips can be a problem, but if you drop a lens hard enough to chip the front element, it's probably hard enough to chip it through a UV filter too. Third, cheap UV filters use shitty glass with shitty coatings or no coatings at all, and noticeably degrade optical quality. Even good multicoated filters will have a slight effect on optical quality because every air-glass interface increases flare and reduces contrast, and the really good ones cost nearly as much as replacing a front element. The only use I can see for a protective filter is if you're shooting somewhere where there's a lot of debris flying around, like a paint booth or welding shop.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2014 (Macintosh)
Image Created2015:08:20 22:40:00
Image Width1920
Image Height1080
>>
>>3479948
Thank you for the my man.
>>
>>3479467
yes
no
no
>>
>>3480001
How did you answer yes to 1) and no to 2)?
>>
>>3477323
I have one its comfy desu i have the mexican zarape one . Hasnt left my nikon since i got it , but will once i get my K5
>>
>>3479562
>lens resolution
hasn't that become irrelevant in most modern mid-high tier lenses?
>>
I have the budget for a 24-70 f/2.8 or an 24-70 f/4 + a prime or 2.

thoughts?
>>
>>3480270
That entirely depends on what you want to go for and what you shoot.
My 2.8 is on my camera most of the time but I swap out for primes 40% of the time. Do you just want to use one lens? Then get the 2.8. An important question is also whether or not you can stomach 4.0 as your 'best'.
>>
>>3480327
>An important question is also whether or not you can stomach 4.0 as your 'best'.
That's one stop. On modern cameras with good high ISO performance, that's completely trivial.
>>
File: IMG_20190516_104632.jpg (335 KB, 1080x1310)
335 KB
335 KB JPG
Found this on marketplace but I'm pretty sure it's not a GR III because it looks like it has a flash. Still a catch if it's a II or am I missing something?

Image Width1080
Image Height1310
Image Created2019:05:16 10:46:32
Image Height1310
Image Width1080
>>
>>3480360
nvm, I'm dumb, it's a GR Digital III.
>>
>>3480066
I am also curious about this
>>
File: ad_1558032369518.jpg (250 KB, 900x1600)
250 KB
250 KB JPG
is $20 for this good? its hakubra e.v tripod made in japan. i just need a tripod.
>>
I've got an 80D and I'm wanting to get some decent glass. I usually shoot landscape/architecture so I was thinking about the 17-40L.

Are there any better wide zooms for a decent price? Sadly the 16-35L is a bit out of my price range.
>>
>>3480623
Be a little different. Get one of the tiltshift lenses
>>
>>3480555
No.

Pay 50 bucks more, and get a far stronger Tripod.
Look up the Q999H on aliexpress.
>>
File: 20190429_173713.jpg (4.88 MB, 5312x2988)
4.88 MB
4.88 MB JPG
I picked up a vintage Minolta 135mm Lens for my A7ii a couple weeks ago and I'm absolutely obsessed with using it.

Can anyone recommend me some vintage lenses in 24mm, 35mm and/or 50mm? Doesn't have to be Minolta.
>>
>>3480670
>Q999H
and why should I get this over the 3Pod Orbit? being able to take out the center column to use it as a monopod is a cool feature, but what I really want is the ability to get as low to the ground as possible, and so far, it doesn't seem like this tripod can spread its legs at a 85 degree angle like the 3Pod can. also, wtf is that site? I'd much rather buy from adorama.
>>
>>3480679
Get the 50 f/1.4 Minolta MD. fast and sharp.
>>
File: x67e4s3jpiy21.png (122 KB, 596x618)
122 KB
122 KB PNG
remember thep4k is not cheap. this is the cost of a basic setup
>>
Is there any website you guys prefer to buy from? I'm looking to pick up a a7 iii and it looks like the prices are pretty even across all sites
>>
Using kit lens with em10 mark ii, am i the only one who thinks the 40-150mm is better than the 14-42mm IIR?
I can't quite place it, but it just feels like the images are much more satisfying from the 40-150.
>>
File: image.jpg (2.25 MB, 2000x1500)
2.25 MB
2.25 MB JPG
Does micro four thirds still have a place in this world?

Image Width2000
Image Height1500
>>
>>3480759
whats up with the lens on the left?
also what a silly question
>>
>>3480762
The plastic bubbly ring is the light metering sensor
>>
>>3480759
Yeah it does, full frame is flavor of the month right now because of the A7.
Once people see the bills of just how much they spent on full frame lenses, they'll crawl back to the aps C hole they came out of.
M4/3 will always be king in fast action photography simple because the size portability and the low power cost of a small sensor.
Though iphone has pretty much slayed entry level cameras and i wonder if hasselblad will ever release those moto mod lenses.
On another note that american company that is developing Sigma's Foveon Sensor said 3 years minimum.
>>
>>3480765
>M4/3 will always be king in fast action photography simple because the size portability and the low power cost of a small sensor.
is the autofocus good enough for action?
>>
>>3480765
>M4/3 will always be king in fast action photography simple because the size portability and the low power cost of a small sensor.
LOL
>>
>>3479933
>>3479948
A Hoya coated filter is like 12 bucks and there is almost zero perceivable difference. It's easier to clean than wiping shit on the front element and also protects the filter thread from dents which can really hurt the lens resale value. I've literally never heard of anyone replacing a lens part let alone an element. I imagine the cost would be astronomical just for a small part and even impossible in the case of legacy lenses.

Sure a lens hood works too but sometimes the compactness of a filter is better. Just get both for peace of mind.
>>
>>3480793
Yeah, ghosting, flares, and reflections are imperceptible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0CLPTd6Bds

UV filters do essentially nothing and if you're putting a $12 piece of glass in front of the highly tuned lens you spent $1300 on, you're a literal retard.
>>
>>3480795
>Uses tiffen shit uncoated filter
>Oh no my photos look worse
Tiffen is the worst brand when it comes to filter. You can clearly see the uncolored reflection when looking at it proving that it is indeed uncoated. An amazon search also shows that is it uncosted Just buy hoya and forget about it.

Also the guy is new. Why does it matter if he buys a cheap filter for his $100 niftty fifty.
>>
>>3480797
>buy hoya and forget about it.
Or literally don't waste the money that does absolutely nothing. Shit like flares and ghosting are still there on even the expensive ones.

>Also the guy is new. Why does it matter if he buys a cheap filter for his $100 niftty fifty.
Because they fuck with IQ on all lenses.

The *only* time you go for a UV is when you're using one of the lenses that need a filter to be fully weather sealed and have no need of any other kind of filter.
>>
Question for wildlife photographers--do you put clear filters on your telephoto lenses for protection it do you just rely on the lens hood alone?

I just bought a 150-600mm and was pressured into buying a filter by the store saying I needed it, but upon looking online it seems most people do without as it can affect image quality and doesn't actually protect much. Plus when I got home I noticed it cost me over 200$ for the filter which is super steep. I'm thinking of returning it. Thoughts?
>>
File: 9299.jpg (58 KB, 1200x1200)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
Are tiltshift lenses worth buying outright?
Seems they're only built to serve that niche purpose of photography making renting them a more practical solution, yet I'd be willing to challenge that notion and buy one if there are ways to use them to achieve a more unique effect.

On that note, any particular recommended lenses for the e-mount that don't cost an arm and a leg? Ideally under 700€, nothing fancy, f4 would even be okay. Would be using these on a tripod anyway.
>pic related Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ~570€
>>
thinking about upgrading to a longer/nicer quality macro lens than my ef-m 28mm, any recommendations? thinking about the tamron sp 90mm because i've got the 45mm from the sp line and the optics and build quality are great
>>
>>3480800
i would, protective filters are dumb
>>
>>3480801
>Seems they're only built to serve that niche purpose of photography making renting them a more practical solution
What? They're in the same price range as all other quality lenses. That's like saying a 300mm 2.8 or 85 1.2 only exist to be rented.
>>
>>3480798
Did you personally tested the expensive filters or are you just basing your opinion on that biased video? I've tested myself and saw no difference and the protection I get from a filter outweighs any neligible IQ reduction.
>>
>>3480810
No my point about the price was that a t-s lens' use case is far narrower than a regular lens. You'd get much more money's worth of use out of regular lenses than you would from a t-s, but both a priced similarly.
Yes, a t-s is more complex to build hence the expense, but if you only use it very seldomly for those few moments its worth it to just rent it. The point was more about if there are more use case scenarios for a t-s, which would swing favor away from renting and just buying one.
>>
File: E~2051893.jpg (274 KB, 1255x837)
274 KB
274 KB JPG
>>3480801
Not worth it to me. They are overpriced medium format lenses.

It's far more affordable to buy APS-C mirrorless, then Tilt-Shift adapt the affordable FF DSLR lenses.

Equipment MakeSAMSUNG
Camera ModelEX1
Camera SoftwareAperture 3.2.3
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.3
Sensing MethodUnknown
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)57 mm
Image Created2012:06:24 11:30:03
Exposure Time1/45 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
ISO Speed Rating200
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length12.30 mm
Image Width1255
Image Height837
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3480810
>They're in the same price range as all other quality lenses.
Wrong. T/S lenses for FF bodies are medium format image circle.
>>
>>3480697
>also, wtf is that site?
Chinese amazon, with usually free shipping to the west.

>and why should I get this over the 3Pod Orbit?
Because it's half the price of the thing you sugested. Did you forget you original wanted to pay 20 bucks?>>3480555
Fuckings trolls these days. Short term memory loses.
>>
>>3476592
What can I do to keep my Nikon d5x00 safe while mountain biking lads? Are the Hazard4 hard shell packs a meme? I'm starting to think I should just save it for hiking and carry a point-and-sloot.
>>
>>3480752
Adorama is nice. They've got a rewards program.
>>
>>3480851
>Fuckings trolls these days. Short term memory loses.
wgat?
>>
This guy again: >>3478921

/vid/ convinced me that the a7s is the way to go for what I'm looking for. Seems like it would kick ass for concerts, but have mixed feelings about the 12-megapixel resolution.

I still intend to do photo along with video, so I need something that will tackle both well. If I wanted to take up portrait gigs for example, would an a7s hold up? Should I be looking at the a7 or a7r? Or maybe a separate DSLR for when I think I'll need the extra megapixels?
>>
>>3480912
>so I need something that will tackle both well.
I think the A7iii and Nikon Z6 are around the same price tag.

Their low light capability is almost as good ad the a7s.
>>
>>3480915
Was looking at the a7 iii. It doesn't seem that much behind the a7s but would love to hear people's experiences.

I don't even know if I'll need the crazy high ISO of the a7s yet but I don't wanna regret not having it.
>>
>>3480917
7s has more detail in low light.
But 7iii and z6 have really good noise reduction which will trick most people to believe they look almost as good.
There are lots of low light comparisons on youtube.
>>
I'm looking for a new lens for taking pics of my gf, mostly outdoor. Price range is about $1k and i've been looking at the Sigma Art f/1.4s online. Which would be better for me, the 50mm or 85mm on a APS-C (Nikon d7500)?
>>
>>3481100
Probably 50. 1.6 takes it somewhere to 60mm, for a newbie, which you apparently are, that's already tricky focal lenght. 85 isn't practical unless you know how to use it right.
>>
>>3481121
>1.6 takes it somewhere to 60mm
what? The D7500 is 1.5, and wouldnt that make it 75mm?

>newbie
yeah, i impulse purchased it a month ago for a road trip along with a 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3, and the 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6 AF-P for video
>>
>>3481122
>>what? The D7500 is 1.5, and wouldnt that make it 75mm?
yes, that's correct, don't listen to the other anon. The 85 would be technically 127.5-equivalent, but everyone just thinks of it as 135mm-equivalent, since that's a common focal length. You can take portraits at that field of view, the stereotypical portrait range is 85-135 (equiv). But its a bit long and you might find you want something shorter.

also the Sigma Arts, though they're of sterling optical quality, are big, heavy, and expensive. Well, less expensive than some things, but still quite a bit. If you aren't sure of what you want, you might look into getting a cheaper 50. Especially since cheaper lenses tend to keep their flaws out toward the full-frame edges and corners, which your crop-frame camera will lop off.
>>
>>3481123
>big, heavy, and expensive
I'm fine with all 3.

>If you aren't sure of what you want, you might look into getting a cheaper 50.
I'm mainly just looking to get one good sharp lens, but am not really sure which focal length to go for. I guess I could just take pics with the zoom I have and see which works better, but i'm lazy and thought I would ask the autists on /p/.. I have no intention of being a real photographer or posting shit to instagram or wherever people do these things, I'm just using this for family/private photos. I'm not really looking to get a large collection of lenses, i have one travel lens, one for PoV video, and just want to have one nice one.
>>
>>3481121
wrong 1.6 takes it to 80mm equivalency
nikon crop is a tiny bit larger at 1.5 which means it'll be a 75mm equivalent
>>3481100
35mm af-d f/2 or the 35mm f/1.4 which turns it into 50mm.
get her the nikkor 35mm af-d and a sigma 100-400mm if you have $1000 to spend, the af-d 35mm has much better color rendition and the corners won't matter because APS-C.
if you want to get her a portrait lens get her the 85mm af-d 1.4. or 60mm af-d 2.8, both super sharp with good colors.
>>
>>3481127
I'm not buying it for her, im taking photos of her.
>>
>>3481128
ah I misread, my bad.
my recommendations still stand but you could opt for going for a 24-70mm 2.8 which leaves you with a lot of flexibility.
tamron 24-70 2.8 G2 is the sharpest one available and really nice to use on APS-C.
>>
>>3481126
if you want to see whether that's a focal length you like, set your zoom to 50mm and then put a piece of tape on the zoom ring to hold it there. Then spend a day taking photos.
>>
>>3481127
>85mm af-d 1.4. or 60mm af-d 2.8, both super sharp
also dxomark says 13 and 12 mp respectively vs 19 for the sigma.
>>
>>3481132
LOL
>>
>>3481133
explain
>>
>>3481132
>dxomark
the sigma equivalent to those lenses do better corners, but that's it
>>
>>3481135
I need to correct myself, sigma equivalents also do better wider apertures.
center sharpness is about the same when you step down.
the true strength of af-d lenses is that they're extremely sharp with good colors while at the same time costing much less.
sigma lenses are extremely sharp thanks to being more modern, but there's not much more to them.
>>
>>3481134
DxO mark is a garbage site that should never be trusted for anything, especially product comparisons. Fucking Daddy Ken is unironically a better source of information on lenses.
>>
>>3481142
"please feed my children" ken? or "fat fuck" ken? because they're both good sources for lens reviews.
>>
>>3481142
doesnt feed my children ken just say that every lens is a great lens?
>>
>>3481135
Dxomark indeed is the worst site for lens reviews. Their lens database is small and outdated.
>>
>>3481145
If you read his wordsalad at the top of reviews, yes. If you actually scroll down to his test shots, he pretty clearly states and demonstrates the strengths and weaknesses of a lens in real world situations.
>>
>>3481325
I really wish there was something like the pentaxforums lens database for other mounts.
>>
fuji (XT-1) replacement batteries? what are my options
>>
Has anyone here use the laowa 9mm f/2.8 or slr magic f/4.0?
Or should i just get a used Olympus 7-14mm f/4.0?
>>
>>3481431
Original or take your luck with 3rd party. I've had some with dot.foto batteries. Left one of them in the rain, stepped on it when looking for it the next day, somehow still works... Not fuji, shipped with plastic cap that I by some luck, had on the battery.
>>
>>3481431
From what I've read, of brands available in the US Watson are the best. Of the stuff elsewhere, I've tried Newmowa and Rowa Japan. The Newmowa ones are good and consistently give a few hundred shots or several hours of shooting. The Rowa Japan ones are pretty crappy in comparison, avoid those
>>
>>3481737
Thanks for the info. BH has Watson-brand batteries for $20 while Fuji brand are $60. Probably just going to buy 2 Watsons
>>
>>3476671
I picked up to aluminum manfrotto tripods for around $30 each and put a manfrotto fluid head on it, works good. I spent like $120 on the head and $20 on the RC2 qr plate
>>
>>3481145
Genuinely bad modern lenses are exceptionally uncommon. Some day you might get over the pixel peeping and discover that Ken is pretty much right about everything.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.