[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: camera.jpg (50 KB, 700x524)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
Not to be a hipster but why does my Nikon F (this one's a 1971 model) have easier to use metering than the manual mode on my modern Canon 700D.

It also focuses easier, cause of that whole aligning the split down the middle image thing.

Am I missing something or have manual features in cameras actively gotten worse lmao
>>
>>3468355
>Meter is easier to use
You likely don't understand how the meter in the Canon works because it's more complicated than the one in the older body, especially if you're using something like evaluative metering or center surround. Spot will work more like the older body.

>Manual focus sucks on bodies without a focusing screen
Well, duh. That's why they made focusing screens.
>>
>>3468357

Modern cameras have focus screens, they just exaggerate depth of field, have no focus aids, and also are designed to be brighter with the slow kit lens
>>
>>3468355
Well your 700D will do both of those things automatically with the push of a single button you fucking dip, so I'd say that represents a small advance.
>>
>It also focuses easier, cause of that whole aligning the split down the middle image thing.
you can install manual focusing screens in modern DSLR's, both my D3300 and D70s have a manual focus screen.
>>
>>3468355
>Am I missing something or have manual features in cameras actively gotten worse lmao
Of course they have.
First of all, most digitals are half frame (APSC) which means a smaller mirror and viewfinder, and/or darker viewfinder.
Then, many pentaprisms were replaced with cheaper pentamirrors which further degrade the viewfinder image.
And most importantly, focusing screens were substituted by *darker* ones, because of the slower kit zooms compared to fast primes. Focusing screens are a compromise between brightness vs usability with slower lenses. A brighter screen is, well, brighter and more precise, but the moment you put on an f/4 or slower lens, the microprisms and split image almost blacks out, making them unusable. Darker screens remain usable with slower lenses. In the autofocus era and later, slow with zooms were much, much more popular than f/2 fifties as a starter lens, so they changed the focusing screens. And of course they removed the focusing aids, like the microprism collar and the plit image in the middle. Focusing with those aids is incomparably easier and faster than trying to manually focus without them on a dark screen.

About metering, it actually got better, in some cases, and remained virtually the same in the rest. It hasn't regressed at all. Just don't use complicated "matrix" metering that you can't know what the camera is metering, use center weighted or spot instead.
>>
>>3468355
>>Am I missing something or have manual features in cameras actively gotten worse lmao
absolutely. i feel like manual canikon metering is better and analog autofocus canikon is faster.
>>
>>3468388
>needing a focus aid
>>
>>3468355
I don't fucking know
>>
>>3468355
>metering
better meter display and controls that directly interact with the meter.
>It also focuses easier
coarser grind on the focus in older cameras screen makes manual focus easier but slightly darker, newer cameras have a finer and brighter grind. the split prism also helps a lot
>>
>>3468856
This!
With my Minolta X-700 I have no issues focusing the stock f/1.7 50mm while it gets a little harder with my Canon 2000D with an old f/2 58mm.
With the Canon I often end up using the screen to focus-peek

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.