[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 13 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

File: the eye.jpg (249 KB, 625x415)
249 KB
249 KB JPG
The media, behind a rope, reflected in Trump's eye. Is this Pulitzer worthy? It's pretty epic in a cinematic sense. In the language of photography, what does this photo "mean"?
>>
it means "wow i love it when these rubes hoot and oink at me, it is even better than lying in bed eating garbage fast food and watching the racist grandparents network"
>>
>>3463148
The only thing I can gather from this image is simply "I see the people". I don't have any context as to who the people are or what the event is, so that's all I can gather. Pretty awesome photo though
>>
>>3463166
You are supposed to think that Trump is an evil dictator who wants to see the media go to the gulags. You're NOT supposed to think that that's where they belong.
>>
>>3463187
How would anybody get that from this image? How would anyone know that he's looking at the media or any other detail in the image? Sounds like Trump Derangement Syndrome again
>>
>>3463190
Do you think every piece of information in a great shot should be diegetic, contained within the photo itself?
>>
File: trump.jpg (268 KB, 1699x851)
268 KB
268 KB JPG
>>3463148
I call bullshit.
>>
>>3463192
No, I'm just saying, I follow US politics just as close as most people do, and there's no context here to tell me what I'm looking at. If he's looking at a crowd of supporters, it would be a completely different meaning than if he was looking at a room full of journalists, or if he's sitting at his desk in the oval office with other people near him. How can you make a judgement on what the meaning of the image is without knowing these things? The only thing you can assume is that he's looking at people, so the only logical conclusion of the meaning of the image without more detail is "I see the people" or something to that effect
>>
File: ezgif-1-f8c21ca5065f.jpg (96 KB, 1040x555)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
To follow up on why I call bullshit, look at the depth of field. That quick of a drop off between the out of focus areas and in focus areas (notice his nose isn't in focus but his eyes are) is an indication of close focus plus wide aperture. The people in the reflection are all pretty well in focus. If you've ever screwed around with shooting reflections, you know that you don't focus on the reflective surface, but on the virtual image in the reflective surface, so the focal distance is the distance from you to the reflective surface plus the distance between the reflective surface and the subject. This speaks to a focal distance of at least ten feet, which isn't close focus, which means that fall off of focus should be much, much more gradual. Additionally, there's a giant drop in detail in the left side of the eye that there's no reason for detail to not be there.
>>
>>3463204
That's interesting, the focal length of the virtual image is something I definitely wouldn't consider if I were faking an image like this. I think this type of analysis is gonna become more prevalent as deep fakes get more common. Although I guess they could just hire someone that knows something about focal lengths to make the fakes look more authentic.
>>
>>3463204
I generally agree with your statement, but one thing to consider too is that his eyes are creating a rounded reflection, which may greatly differ from a flat reflection on a mirror. Pic related is a random image from google, I doubt they photoshopped in a window.

I think what looks unnatural about the image is that they clearly did do some processing to the reflection. They probably used an adjustment brush to heighten contrast and brighten in some way, possibly sharpening as well. It certainly isn't like that straight out of camera
>>
>>3463211
forgot pic related
>>
File: q5uDY.jpg (339 KB, 1466x977)
339 KB
339 KB JPG
>>3463212
>>3463211
>>3463204
Holy shit, sorry didn't realize how low res that one was. Here's a good example
>>
>>3463148
Usually when I stumble upon such pieces of work, I set the picture on full screen and prepare myself some coffee (sometimes even an expensive bottle of red wine) and stare at the art whilst drinking my beverage. It really takes a giant idiot to think that these delicacies are appreciated by a quick 'image hover' on 4chan, when in reality one has to study it as if it were in a museum. Who would appreciate 'Starry Night' if it was on your $200 phone's screen (because let's be honest, if you're a regular in this board you're most likely poor) or on your 1080p Black-Friday-Deal laptop? Distance yourself from your own mental limitations and do something right for once.

Anyways, when I finished my drink I had to take a moment for myself, if you know what I mean. This picture has led me to believe that I must obtain whatever gear you used in order to take my craft one step closer to your masterpiece. What a magnificent photography you have created here, Anon. I cannot believe that your work hasn't been published in magazines, or presented in art galleries all around the world. Truly, a thing to behold, and it boggles my mind that you're not a tripfag (or else, I would follow your work closely). Even the title of this work is just... I... I have no words to describe what I felt!

Please keep us updated! This board needs more professional photographers like you. If only half of the idiots that browse this board would have an ounce of your creative mind, this wouldn't be such a barbaric, gear-fagging board as it is in its current state.

Thanks for making my day Anon, and I wish to see more of your art often. You should sign your photographs!
>>
File: 1555035717175.jpg (79 KB, 625x415)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>3463210
Devil's always in the details.
>>3463211
>I generally agree with your statement, but one thing to consider too is that his eyes are creating a rounded reflection, which may greatly differ from a flat reflection on a mirror. Pic related is a random image from google, I doubt they photoshopped in a window.
The distortion also looks shaped a little weird to me, but that could just be the angle and lens plus being a rounded reflection like you say. I also kinda question the positioning of the reflections in each eye in the image with both eyes. Something just feels off about them.

>I think what looks unnatural about the image is that they clearly did do some processing to the reflection. They probably used an adjustment brush to heighten contrast and brighten in some way, possibly sharpening as well. It certainly isn't like that straight out of camera
Oh definitely. But my question is what's up with this area in the eye? Why is it blurred?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
>>
>>3463148
>Is this Pulitzer worthy
kill yourself
>>
>>3463148
I wouldn't even have known it was Trumpski if you hadn't told me
>>
>>3463190
>How would anybody get that from this image? How would anyone know that he's looking at the media or any other detail in the image? Sounds like Trump Derangement Syndrome again

Stop it with feigned ignorance and fake indignation. The OP clearly stated the caption, "The media, behind a rope, reflected in Trump's eye." The insert image clearly shows people in suits, many seated, behind a rope, as someone would see in a typical press conference. Even if presented out of context, which it wouldn't be, since Trump's eye is not THAT distinctive, you can easily guess what you're looking at.
>>
File: pg-31-tiananmen-6-ap.jpg (68 KB, 968x681)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>3464019
A great image should be able to display it's meaning without external context needed. If I saw this image in a line up of several dozen other images, it wouldn't stand out to me for any reason at all. Pic related is a great image that can tell a story without a single caption needed.
>>
>>3463204
Do people not think it's shopped? I'm not saying it's completely fake but it's obviously been enhanced. Eyes don't have that clear of a reflection, even in a studio setting where you can control everything.
>>
>>3464648
Bollocks, you wouldn't even know what country it was if it wasn't so famous
>>
>>3464700
It's not about what country it is. You can gather that it's a man being defiant of the military/government. Even without context you can tell basically what's going on. With the op, most people won't know who's eye that is, so there no hope of understanding what's going on. Even if they knew it was trumps eye, it's a stretch to guess who the people in the reflection are. I honestly would've guessed it was supporters at a rally.
>>
>>3464672
You're conflating terms mate. Being photoshopped is where something is materially changed about the image (compositing, liquid resize, use of things like d&b or cloning to remove elements significant to the image, etc.).

"Enhancing" is just dickering around with elements of the photo in such a way that is still true to the image as captured.

Absolutely no one is surprised that levels were played with or some selective sharpening was done.
>>
>>3464925
No, absolutely not. Particularly in an picture that is clearly a major event, an explanation of Where and Why is vital. Without that the image can never be fully understood.

It could be a still from a movie, a quirky shot from a military parade ... maybe he was a school teacher holding up traffic so the 5-years olds could cross the busy road safely and when he turned he got the shock of his life.

Without a proper explanation you simply do not know the story.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.