[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: shouldhaveusedflash.jpg (45 KB, 500x344)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
Post stupid questions that need no extra thread. Use /gear/ for gear related stupid questions.
>>
tl;dr: how do you run a portrait shoot from start to finish?

I opened up my portfolio to my social media friends (had been posting to insta under a pseudonym) and have gotten a few requests for portrait shoots which I accepted. Problem is until now I've focused on architecture and candid street photography, not newlywed and professional shoots (which is what they want). Any ideas, videos, or books on how to pose people would be appreciated.
>>
File: 816t3zC30rL._SY606_.jpg (23 KB, 429x606)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>3450995
is the rokinon 12mm f/2 too wide?
I have the a6000 and have been looking for a compact yet good lens to replace the wider end of the kid lens. Sigma 16mm looks good, but it's too big of a lens to carry around
>primarily landscape shots
>>
>>3450997
learn about lighting
learn about soft light
learn three point lighting scheme
also use mid to tele lenses

that'a all I've got f.a.m. sry :(
>>
Anybody use Lightroom exclusively? Or is LR and PS best? PS is legit too autism for me
>>
>>3451029
there's no such thing as TOO WIDE
>>
>>3451038
A lot of people are. Main thing that you're missing out of are precise color corrections. You can't color change just one specific part of the image. Luminosity corrections are also a bit basic, as are transformation and correction tools.
>>
>>3451038
The gradient stuff and the automasking is so good.
>>
>>3451056
Pretty much this. Before i got into film i was just fine using LR only. Once I started needing more precise control over various color channels i had to dip my toe into PS.
>>
How do you get a feel for what aperture and shutter speeds to use?
>>
>>3451109
If your camera has the settings, start shooting in aperture priority (AV) and see what the different aperture settings do. Your camera will automatically adjust shutter speed to ensure proper exposure. Once you get a feel for aperture cause and effect you can go full manual and begin adjusting shutter speed (freeze motion, let more light in, etc.).
>>
>>3451111
cont’d.

messing with aperture will give you the biggest range of creative results. Unless I’m shooting birds and need a very fast shot to freeze motion, I don’t give a rip about shutter speed as long as I’m properly exposed and am still able to hand-hold.
>>
What the fuck is the difference between editing with Curves and editing with Levels?
>>
>>3451171

Two different views of the same thing. I feel curves gives you more fine tuned control, because you can see the actual curve line going over the image, whereas with levels you only have the "point" to work with and have to assume what the rest of the curve looks like.

I use levels when I want to make small adjustments (because I can drag the point, like, a pixel to the left, without having to deal with all the curvy drama), and curves when I want to make more large scale corrections (because I can see what's happening to the in-betweens).
>>
>>3451171
>>3451213
I said "fine tuned" when in reality I meant "clearer". Curves are actually harder to make fine adjustments with.
>>
Ashamed to say it but how do I shoot manual? Specifically, I'm going to get my first manual focus lens and want to know if I have to set every setting in manual mode or can I use it in my favorite Aperture mode to get help by letting the camera set the shutter speed etc on its own while I simply use the focus wheel alone for whatever subject I shoot
>>
>>3451225
You can shoot your camera in full auto mode if you want, the only thing manual is the focusing. So yes, you can still use Av mode for shooting.
>>
File: 1549196610204.jpg (37 KB, 568x447)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>3451227
Horrible advice, you're a shit photographer if you're shooting in auto. Goddamn pathetic piece of trash
>>
>>3451228
Nigger, I didn't say to shoot in full auto, I simply stated that it was possible, because the only thing a manual focus lens does is make the focusing manual, nothing else. Neck yourself.
>>
>>3451228
Retard cunt
And even besides the point, good composition and creativity > full manual wankery
You sound like a gearfag
>>
>>3451227
Thanks anon. For a moment I was afraid...er..lazy that I might actually have to mess around learning full manual settings. I'm not against the idea in general but I think I'd become impatient and suck at it to the point of frustration and no fun. Anyway, glad to know I could get by with Av
>>
>>3451228
Get a load of this elitist cunt. Anon gave a valid answer. What's your problem? If (you) want to shoot fully manual you're free to do so. Fuck off already.
>>
>>3451233
You should still learn manual though, there's a more dynamic shooting style like street photography where you don't really have the luxury of wanking over settings for 10 minutes to get the perfect shot, that's what aperture priority is for. But if you've already got a tripod out and can take your time with a shot it'd be a shame to settle for less than optimal
>>
>>3451236
Samefagging this much. I bet you shoot with the kit lens only, don't you fag boi
>>
>>3451242
>muh samefag
Nope not him
>>
Hey guys I asked in the last thread, but it was already past 250 when I did.

I had perfect vision until I got into a bar fight about a year ago, came out of it ok apart from getting a thumb jammed in my eye at one point.

Now I need a prescription on my dominant eye.
I really don't like wearing glasses, I was thinking of contacts.

Should I go glasses or lenses? Any special considerations for glasses/contacts when doing photography?
>>
>>3451422
Depending on how the viewfinder is set up, glasses can make it a little harder to see your full viewfinder.

I wear glasses and haven’t really had an issue with it, but it’s a thing. Presumably you’ll be getting glasses regardless as a backup to your contacts, so just try it out and see if it works for you.
>>
>>3450995
Why do people use a low F number for landscape pics? I see a landscape view taken at F1.8 or 3.5 sometimes, isn't it gonna be sharper at like F11?
>>
>>3451456
Sharpness is not always what you want. Even in a landscape shot, it’s possible to use depth of field creatively, for which you’d want to use a wide aperture.

There’s also the possibility that the wider aperture was needed for the extra light—even on a tripod, parts of your frame might move (eg, leaves rustling in the wind), so a photographer might want a shorter shutter speed to freeze that.

Or they might just not need the extra depth of field. For a shot of a huge mountain that’s a mile away, it’s gonna be in focus whether it’s f/1 or f/11 anyway.

And even with those, something as tight as f/11 often isn’t what you want since most lenses have a point of diminishing returns in sharpness where you get fuzz from diffraction even as you get more depth of field.
>>
>>3451456
If you're taking a pic of a mountain that's far away you don't need low f numbers. If you have a lot of foreground and you want the background to also be sharp, that is when you crank the f number.

If you take a pic of a wall all of it will be sharp even at f/2.8 from a few metres away. Works the same way in landscape.
>>
>>3451473
>>3451490
I hope you guys are trolling...
>>
How do I learn composition, color and techniques.
I have a basic grasp of it all but where do I go now? any decent books about theory I should be reading?
>>
>>3451568
They aren't. And >>3451473 is an excellent answer!
Why don't you just test it?
>>
>>3451586
Just keep shooting at f1, you'll figure what's wrong with it eventually.
>>
>>3451605
I wasn’t saying that people SHOULD shoot landscapes at f/1, I was just explaining why someone might.
>>
Why?
>>
File: IMG_7450.jpg (2.74 MB, 5472x3648)
2.74 MB
2.74 MB JPG
can anyone help? im using the fotodiox k mount to ef adapter on a pentax m 2.8 35 mm and this keeps happening. I figured I'd get possible vignetting but i have no clue why this is happening? I think focal length slightly decreased it but half the image is blocked with just black. anyone know how to fix this/ know why this is happening?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 6D
Firmware VersionFirmware Version 1.1.4
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2019:03:19 16:10:34
Exposure Time1/15 sec
F-Numberf/0.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/inf
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length0.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width5472
Image Height3648
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModeEvaluative
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeLarge
Focus ModeManual
Drive ModeSingle
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceAuto
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed256
Color Matrix129
>>
interested in the a7 iii but I want a selfie screen

what do?
>>
>>3451722
well what do you need a selfie screen for?
>>
>>3451723
taking selfies
>>
>>3451722
You can get a mini-HDMI screen and connect it to the HDMI output of the A7 III and it should work as a selfie screen. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/CAIRUTE%EF%BF%BD-Inch-Ultra-Thin-16/dp/B01GC9WTGK/ref=sr_1_8?

Another option would be to use your phone, if you have a smartphone. Sony makes an app that will talk to your camera and let you view the screen on your phone.

Option 3, if you're not wedded to the idea of the A7 III, you could get a full frame mirrorless that already has a built-in selfie screen like the EOS RP.
>>
>>3451727
>a mini-HDMI screen and connect it to the HDMI output of the A7 III and it should work as a selfie screen
brilliant, thanks
>>
File: 1550347026448.png (207 KB, 1097x549)
207 KB
207 KB PNG
>>3451722
>>
>>3451725
eye-af and wide angle lens, the wide angle distortion isn't there unless you fill the entire frame of the lens with your face, that's what I'd do at least with any camera.
afaik canon is the only ones who do those flippy screens and do them properly so you'll have to buy a canon for that
>>
>>3451727
Is it possible to convert the hdmi output to usb and use your android phone as the monitor, somehow?
>just use the sony app and wifi
nah that's a choppy mess
>>
>>3451697
The mirror is being interrupted by a lever on the back of the lens
>>
>>3451802
ah I see damn, don't want to cut it but I guess I have no choice. Thank you
>>
Why does my drone which uses a mirrorless 1/2.3 12mp sensor and 35mm equivalent lens take better quality images than my dslr that uses a 24mp sensor with a 35mm lens? Am I just shit?
>>
Ok so I was trying to take some night sky pics with my A6000 and its kit lens and fucked up.
I assumed because stars are far away I would just set the focus to its max distance using manual focus. However this just made everything blurry. At first I thought the lens fogged up, but that's not it. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to reel it in?
>>
>>3451697
>fotodiox k mount to ef adapter on a pentax m 2.8 35 mm and this keeps happening
If you read closely the listing where they sold you the adapter, K to EF adapters are actually only K to EF-S adapters--when you use one on full frame, there's not enough clearance for the mirror to get out of the way of the shutter.
>>
File: DSCF2697-1.jpg (680 KB, 1586x1981)
680 KB
680 KB JPG
I'm really struggling with image sharpness and focus
I'm a complete amateur but I'd really like to learn more, could you point me in the right direction?

Here's a photo I tried taking earlier so you can see what I mean

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelFinePix S5600
Camera SoftwareRawTherapee 5.5
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.2
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Maker Note Version0130
Image Width1586
Image Height1981
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2019:03:21 16:06:30
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating64
Lens Aperturef/3.5
Brightness5.8 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeAverage
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length33.20 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
SharpnessNormal
White BalanceAuto
Chroma SaturationNormal
Flash ModeOff
Macro ModeOn
Focus ModeAuto
Slow Synchro ModeOff
Picture ModeAperture Prior AE
Continuous/Bracketing ModeOff
Blur StatusBlur Warning
Focus StatusOut of Focus
Auto Exposure StatusOK
>>
>>3452547
>wide open
>>
>>3452549
Oh, I'm a retard lmao

Yeah that fixed it
>>
I suppose this counts as gearfaggotry but how come no one ever discusses monitors? Is there an unspoken rule I'm missing here? You spend hours editing photos by looking at them after all.
>>
>>3452561
That's a good point

Having a somewhat color accurate monitor would be nice
I get an entirely different looking image on every monitor I have
>>
>>3452564
At this point I feel like my phone gives me the best accuracy, but that's not exactly practical
>>
>>3452561
lurk more, we get monitor threads every few months.
>>
File: 1516500532647.png (91 KB, 400x333)
91 KB
91 KB PNG
>SL2 for 382 dollars

Should I get?
>>
>>3452580
fuck no
>>
File: 9871684.jpg (258 KB, 968x1300)
258 KB
258 KB JPG
>>3452578
>every few months
I'll make sure to stay tuned.
>>
Is there any good rule of thumb to follow in terms of processing RAW images as far as sharpening and noise reduction go?

They're the sliders I know very little about and the change they do mostly appears as very slight
>>
File: 10406706.jpg (29 KB, 500x500)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
Would this little point and shoot (Canon PowerShot ELPH 320, 16MP, made in 2012) be substantially better than a smartphone camera? I have one lying around and I want to know if it's worth buying a new battery charger for it so I can carry it in a back pocket. My phone is an LG G6, but probably be upgrading to Samsung S10 or an LG G8 at some point.
>>
>>3452580
Fuck yes. Great camera.
>>
>>3452626
Not significantly.

The canon has the advantage of a real zoom lens. That’s basically it. It’s also got a slower lens than most top-end smartphones like the S10 with the same sensor size, so it’ll be *worse* in low light than your phone, even before you add in the factors of computational photography and other clevernesses a smartphone can do.
>>
What's the difference between editing raws and applying filters?
>>
>>3452762
Raws will come with more color depth and they won't have any filters or transforms applied to them already.
>>
Are there any books or guides on photography I should read?
I'm especially interested in guidance on what looks good and what looks bad, and how to use imperfections in imaging to relay a message - when and how to use blur and softness, what to include in the frame and what to avoid when composing, what different color post processing can make you feel.
I've read Northrup's book and concentrated on gear and what it can do, and now I feel like I know quite a bit of physics related to imaging, but all I know about photography is to put subject in the rule of thirds.
>>
>>3452626
Yes it will, seeing how it's main purpose is to take pictures it will easily beat out any cellphone camera.
>>
I fucked up and deleted my photos from the XQD (while using the nikon, not on the computer). Can I retrieve them? How?
>>
>>3452908
I know you can on regular storage devices but IIRC you really can't with XQD, CF or SD cards from the camera because it overwrites the data instantly instead of hiding it and overwriting it later when you don't have a lot of space.
I might be completely wrong but that's what I remember someone telling me once
>>
>>3452908
>>3452910
wait I'm reading about it now and data recovery for XQD cards should be possible with software
look up "stellar phoenix windows data recovery" and alternatives and do a scan of your card.
>>
>Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 + Sony 85mm f1.8
vs
>Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 + wide lens (model still undecided)

Wat do. I don't specialize in anything and am looking for flexibility, but I still do a fair amount of portraits, hence the interest in a prime 85mm. Got limited money at the moment so all three is temporarily out of the question. Feel free to call me a sonygg*r, I made my mind.
>>
>>3453001
I would advice you to use the Tamron for portraits a few times.
See if it isn't good enough for your criteria.

Get creative with your 1 lens. That's a good attempt to save money.
>>
Hi /p/. A friend of mine has painted some fantastic art, all on canvas. How do I go about photographing it so I have the art in digital format? What camera, lighting, etc. Should I hire a professional?
>>
>>3453001
My experience has been that the long end of my 24-70/2.8 is portraity enough for portraits, so you should be fine with just the tampon. I’ve also got a canon 85/1.8 that I use for portraits and I shoot it around f/4 or slower 90% of the time, and f/2.8 or slower 99% of the time. I can’t remember the last time I shot it wide open or even faster than 2.8. The DoF is just too narrow to be really useful except for trick shots.

Your mileage obviously may vary, but I’d say get the 28-75 and an ultra wide.
>>
>>3453029
If your friend is an artist, I’m sure they have some photographer friends who already have the gear and knowhow to use it—you’d probably be better off throwing them a few bucks to take the pictures. But if you want to go the route of doing it yourself:

1. A camera with a decent-sized sensor. Bigger than a point & shoot, ideally. Bigger than a cellphone, definitely. Those always look like ass viewed up close. But something like an older DSLR will be fine. Canon Rebel XS, Nikon D60, Pentax K10, etc. Just about anything will work for you.
2. A lens. Preferably a decent one, but really one that’s not *utter* trash will be fine here. So like an 18-55 kit lens for an old cheap DSLR will be fine. Something like a 50mm would be better (and Yongnuo makes a cheap one in several mounts). If you want to do more than just art repro, the 18-55 will be more overall versatile, but a 50mm will reproduce art better.
3. A tripod. You can cheap out on this, probably, since your needs aren’t too taxing. If you want to try getting into photography for real, though, you might want to invest in a good one.

Now, set the camera to aperture-priority mode, somewhere around f/8, ISO 100 (or whatever the camera’s lowest ISO value is), on the tripod, with the art as close to parallel as you can get relative to your camera’s focal plane.

For lighting, just try to make sure it’s as even as you can get. Window light is fine, or even just your room lighting (although that might give you a color cast that it’ll be tricky to deal with without getting into raw editing). Make sure it’s positioned so that there’s not a glare anywhere from the camera’s perspective.

For bonus points, put the camera in self-timer mode so it has a bit of time to stabilize between when you hit the shutter and when it actually takes the picture.

Let me know if any of that went over your head or you need any more help.
>>
I used to have a Pentax DSLR. It did this convenient thing where it automatically separated your images by date on the memory card. The photos you took one day would be in a separate folder than the photos you took the next day.

Then I sold it and switched to Nikon. My Nikon apparently doesn't do this. As far as I can figure out, my Nikon SLR will dump everything into one folder forever unless and until you manually make a new one in the menus somewhere and tell it to use it, whereupon it'll use that folder forever until you intervene again, and so on.

Is there a way to make a Nikon SLR automatically sort files by date like this and I just missed it somewhere in the menus? Or can I just not do that, and I get to write a shell script or something to do it for me once they're on my computer?
>>
>>3453071
I think you’re gonna need to write a script.

If you can read PHP, I can send you mine for inspiration. It’s very specific to my computer and workflow, but there are a few clever bits in there (eg, it keeps the files in the same directory of you go from day one at 11:59 to day two at midnight; it only goes to the next day when there’s a couple hour break in between shots).

There are also some dumb bits in there that made me lose a whole card’s worth of shots once.
>>
Why is the infrared sensor for the remote control on the front? I'm usually behind it when I use it on a tripod. Sometimes I can bounce the signal off a wall or something but it seems stupid.
>>
>>3451029
no, the 12mm f2 works out to an 18mm in full frame equivalent when mounted on an A6000. So not that wide at all. You can see sample videos and photos if you google for 2 seconds. For landscapes you want as wide as possible without going fisheye really.
>>
>>3453143
>Why is the infrared sensor for the remote control on the front?
Because the primary intended purpose of the remote control is for selfies so you can fire the shutter without having to use the timer.

If you're using it to trigger on a tripod for stability, you can just reach your hand around to the front and point it at the sensor.
>>
File: img146.jpg (2.96 MB, 1880x2960)
2.96 MB
2.96 MB JPG
hey guys, idk if there's a film/35mm thread i should be in instead, but here's my problem:
i've been shooting a lot of nighttime flash stuff, mostly b&w but my latest roll was cinestill 800t and i loved the colors i got. however it seems like i'm getting super grainy, washed out scans for the most part, where the blacks run more towards a very grainy blue and i'm losing contrast i feel like i should have and would have with b&w

i use a nikon fm with a sunpak 444d thrysistor flash unit, its sync speed is 1/60 so most shots are at 1/60 shutter speed and an f stop of 22, sometimes 5.6 depending on how close the subject is, ISO 800 for the cinestill. from what i can tell this is a common symptom of underexposure but i'm shooting at the recommended "optimal" settings everytime for the most part, any recommendations?

>>
>>3453170
Are there cameras with one on each side?
>>
>>3453087
eh, thanks, but I think I'll do it myself then (especially since I speak Perl and shell much better than PHP anyway)

thanks for the idea of using a multi-hour gap as a day separator though, instead of strict file times, I may use that.
>>
Shooting portraits for fun and a bit of extra cash
How do I turn down repeat clients who are hell to deal with? I'd rather just lose out on a bit of extra cash than deal with a cunt.
>>
What do yall think of a bachelor's degree in photography is it a jew shill or what ?
>>
>>3453284
Personally I think its better to get a bachelor in design and just specialize in photography. That way you have more skills in your wheelhouse and can supplement your photography
>>
Hey so I was browsing Amazon and other sites and I just found myself wondering something, maybe you guys can help me out.
How do they manages to make all the product photos match the same pose exactly?
For example: https://www.amazon.com/SATINA-High-Waisted-Leggings-Colors/dp/B074RB2X48/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1PCG9FZN8K3KJ&keywords=leggings&qid=1553316277&s=gateway&sprefix=legging%2Caps%2C744&sr=8-3&th=1

They change the color and the shadows look natural (not that I have an eye for these things), so I just don't understand how it's done.
>>
Is it a good idea to sell my Ricoh GRII to go for a Fujifilm x-t30 (or x-t3?) and a XF56mmF1.2 R and the XF18-55mmF2.8-4 R LM OISJ?

I'm tired of point and shoot and not being able to change lenses.
>>
>>3453270
Up the pricing.
>>
>>3453340
Listen to your gut. It's just a camera. If it's gathering dust and you're not happy, then sell it. I've just sold hundreds of pounds worth of gear (UK) and while it's painful at first it's liberating to have extra cash for gear I want.
>>
>>3452791
>>3451584
>>3453629
>>
File: Image.jpg (449 KB, 1390x946)
449 KB
449 KB JPG
Alright, how effective are laserjet printers in making prints of black and white images? I'm going to make a zine and I want to work with the equipment I already have before spending any dough. Is there anyway to improve print density and value reproduction with a regular brother DCP-L2540DW laserjet printer?

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image Created2019:03:23 14:38:26
Image Width1390
Image Height946
>>
>>3450995
sorry gear thread hit bump limit
any sigma people here?? I have bought sd1 for that sigma look, and also got myself sigma 18-50mm F2.8-4.5, however I have used dp merrils before and the results were excellent however sd1 with this lens the photos look like absolute crap at almost any mm except 50mm, did I fuck up badly, I have an option to buy 30mm sigma art, should I do it or just not bother with it at all and save my money?
>>
I cut the lever off of a pentax k mount lens so it would fit on my EF mount without blocking the sensor, but I didn't set it to f/22 before taking off the guard. When I put it back together i realized the f/ won't go around 2 stops down from 2.8, (the blades won't fully extend out but are functional). it wants to go past, when I stop it down manually it has a little give like it can go further. anyone know how to fix? I'm afraid to open it again
>>
File: 1553366659539.jpg (238 KB, 675x854)
238 KB
238 KB JPG
>>3453663
You can't do much on hardware side. The most you can do is test different papers. You can optimise more on software side. Can't help you much there, you need to figure out what you have on your own.
>>
File: 1503248338102.jpg (13 KB, 319x331)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
Just getting into photography as a hobby and ordered a SL2. We are outdoorsy types who go hiking a lot. Are Lowepro backpacks the way to go or does /p/ have any other recommendations for backpacks?
>>
>>3453167
>18mm is not that wide
18mm is definitely wide, it used to be considered ultra wide.
>>
>>3453905
>18mm [full frame equivalent] is definitely wide, it used to be considered ultra wide.
Still is considered ultra wide. Pretty much anything south of 28mm is ultrawide.
>>
File: 8TGbAgbEc.jpg (76 KB, 327x327)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
Is there a way to reset the shutter count on Fuji X cameras? I wanna sell mine as "almost new" but it has already 22000 shots. Pls help
>>
>>3454140
Nope, you're fucked. Take the loss. Or you can just not include the shutter count in the listing, most don't bother for this reason. I've bought a few used cameras that look in great condition but the shutter is on the verge of death.
>>
>>3454143
>Or you can just not include the shutter count in the listing
Then this is the way to go. Thanks
>>
>>3454147
People aren't as keen to bid when no shutter count is listed, you'll get a TON of PMs asking too, so it'll still not do as well. But it'll sell regardless to people who don't care.
>>
>>3454149
its pointless, it can be hacked on most cameras, the number is meaningless
>>
What instagram accounts does everyone follow? I need some solid inspo
>>
I've never actually uploaded to Instagram and use it more or less exclusively to stalk crushes as any young adult man does.

I'd like to start uploading my photos to that account however, but I have a few followers already and wouldn't want to flood their timelines with bulk uploads

Can I upload multiple photos without notifying everyone or do I have to trickle upload and pace myself?
>>
>>3454249
Just upload in sets so people can swipe through 4-5 photos at a time. Or yeah, trickle it to two or three uploads a week.
>>
it is 2019.

Found a local offer for a BMPC for $500. If I'm interested in a BM product should I just save up and go for the 4k Pocket Camera and get a cheap Olympus prime or a Rokinon cine prime?

I'm manly a sonyfag so this would be my exception for shooting and probably the only other MFT I'd own. Outside of "real work" I doubt I'd get too many others (or just buy an e-mount-to-MFT adapter that probably exists)
>>
>>3454263
>/gear/
>/vid/
>>
>>3454285
well I saw the sqt first but I'm in the other one now
>>
>>3454253
I think I'll trickle them

If I upload in a set they don't show up as individual photos on my profile, reckon that's less exposure
>>
>>3450995
I used to think that there's no such thing as a stupid question but stupid people do ask questions. Then I went to quora and found that stupid people do ask stupid questions.
>>
>>3453231
From the top of my head Nikon D7200, D750, Pentax K-1.
Must be others too.
>>
File: 1538416657842.png (362 KB, 1390x1658)
362 KB
362 KB PNG
no question just need to vent

I've been wanting to get into photography for a while. This past December I bought my first camera, a new-to-me RX100 III. I fucking love it, the quality is way better than my phone camera, so many settings to play with etc etc
Today one of my uncles is visiting, his first time in our country since my parents immigrated almost 30 years ago. He was very excited and wanted to first get a better phone to take better pictures because his phone was cheap old and falling apart. I felt bad because I've been in that situation so many times and it was so frustrating trying to use my crap phone camera to do photography.
Well I showed him mine and let him borrow it and he was ecstatic. I trusted him because we've always had a good relationship when I visited his country and he's responsible. I really had no problem. He's been taking a bunch of pictures happy as can be, he's probably taken more pictures in these past few days that he's had it than I have since owning it since December.
Today he drops it. He left the camera on his lap and I suppose forgot it was there because it fell when we were getting out of my car. This was in a parking garage so it hit concrete from about waist height.
My heart stops and without trying to show too much worry or disappointment I check to see if it's okay. Everything works but there's a chip on one of the corner edges. He's apologizing profusely and I assure him it's okay. The camera works fine but I was still kind of upset. Not at him, it was an accident, but I guess that risk is always there whenever you lend something to someone, that risk that it'll get fucked up.
I'm letting him use it again, he's here for a few more days. I just have to push those thoughts of worry aside. I really hope nothing happens to it lol
>>
>>3454461
He’ll probably be a million times more careful since he already fucked up once.

If he breaks it more, then simply M U R D E R H I M
>>
What do you do when people start harassing you?

Had a guy yesterday get mad at me because I took a pic of the stairs of the flat that he lives at.
>>
>>3454461
now that your camera is scratched you don´t have to worry about future scratches and dents. Cameras are tools, and using them leaves marks. i have friends who worry so much about their cameras getting damaged, that they don´t take them out to shoot anymore. A scratched camera doesn´t look as nice, but you can still use it. a perfect camera that never gets used is shit. as long as you don´t break it, don´t worry about scratches
>>
>>3454469
Just stay calm and explain that you're doing nothing wrong. Tell them photography is your hobby, if possible make business cards with your website or social media as this tends to satisfy normies that you're legit.

If they continue to escalate or try to hit you, phone the police. In most civilised countries photography is a protected artform and you're legally permitted to photograph in public spaces. Assault on the other hand isn't legal. If someone attacks you or steals your camera for taking photos then they're going to jail. Simple as that.
>>
>>3454469
M U R D E R T H E M
>>
>>3454481
>A scratched camera doesn´t look as nice
I think cameras with signs of wear look better, personally.
>>
File: 51588-668x501.jpg (71 KB, 668x501)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>3454493
A lot of cameras used to have brass plating for this reason. The wear and scratches would build up to a unique patina so no camera would look alike. Mattias Burling is about to make it a meme soon, but the Pentax MX-1 was marketed on this. The top and bottom plates are brass and become really cool looking over time.
>>
>>3454496
I've been toying with resurfacing my cams rubber parts with leather for a while. Rubber thumb grip fell off a while ago, I glued it back on, and it fell off again, I figured I'd try leather next, and it gives such a pleasing feeling to hold that I've not bothered with the old one. It already gained some apealing wear as well.
>>
Am I retarded for considering the RP over a 88d just because it eliminates the useless dust collecting focus screen and shutter.
I do a lot of Astrophotography which involves taking hundreds of images a night but I also like the 1.6x crop for wildlife during the day.
Is my EF 70-300 IS USM just going to break the mount right off the thing anyway ?
>>
>>3453903
unless someone else's is carrying the water and other outdoors stuff just get a camera bag that will fit in your normal outdoors backpack.
I manage to fit a 18-35, 70-300 and a 50mm + Rebel t6 in this with extra batteries and other shit.
Just drop it on top my other gear in the pack and its as protected as anything short of a pelican case, the lowepro's that I checked out where pretty flimsy for their price.
>>
File: 1552113623120.jpg (72 KB, 720x690)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
This anon >>3452908 here with a follow up.
Turns out deleting from the nikon d750 menu will completely erase the files. They're only recoverable if they were deleted by formatting the card in camera OR deleted while inserted into a computer.
Feels bad man. Gotta schedule a whole new photoshoot. At least now I know never to hit the delete button ever again.
>>
>>3454573
that's a great picture
>>
File: 1534672897687.jpg (60 KB, 1024x1004)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>3454609
too bad its just a meme i saved and didn't shoot myself
>tfw you will never take a viral photo
>>
Okay I get that this is rather a long shot, but does anyone use Darktable's OpenCL acceleration? If so, is 4GB enough VRAM for it, or is it worthwhile to get an 8GB card?
>>
>>3455012
It doesn't use that much vram
>>
has anyone tried doing concert/local show photography using any of the x100 cameras? not sure how successful it would be with the on camera flash and fixed 35mm focal
>>
Slowly learning more about cameras but I just now noticed a setting that I mostly ignored

Metering modes
I had it set to Average until now and the other options are Multi and Spot

Is there a particular mode I should be sticking to all the time or do they have their uses? If so, in which cases should I be switching

Generally I've been shooting in Aperture priority and switching to manual to tweak my shutter speed if the camera doesn't nail the exposure by itself
>>
>>3455410
Most of the time you're better of in average. For specific subject, birbs, moon shooting, you switch to spot. It's metering thing. In M and locked iso, it won't do a thing, it'll only visually display what EV it's detecting. And in other modes it'll be responsible for your 0EV (or whatever manual override you've selected), and it will auto change cams settings depending on which mode you're in. It'll do so primarily with low iso in mind. In shutter priority, it'll first adjust aperture to what you're needing for 0ev, and only then up iso. In aperture, first change shutter, then iso. There are some locks built in, so it won't automatically go past diffraction limit of lenses, and won't got too slow for handholding in shutter priority but first try to up the iso.
Modes used to be very important since there were situations that would completely screw the system. Snow being main example of that, nowdays cams properly detect even that, so you're left with few specific cases where you need to change them. And with live histograms, you've another tool that helps you in metering as well.
>>
Bros, if a lens says DX in the name (e.g. Nikon AF-S 35mm f/1.8G DX), does that mean that this is the actual focal length on an APS-C? Or does it still get the whole 1.5x factor? If the latter, then why bother with saying DX at all?
>>
>>3454571
Can I fit a nikon in this bag? Would that be illegal?
>>
>>3455519
if you do that it will produce mustard gas
>>
I'm new to photography as a hobby and have a wee canon 1200D, but it turns out that while I have zero talent, my daughter has a natural eye, so I'm using that as an excuse to upgrade my camera from the 1200D to something better so I can give my daughter the 1200D, so, suggestions for an upgrade? I'd prefer to stay canon so my daughter can share my lenses.
>>
>>3455519
It would be extremely painful for you, big guy
>>
>>3455514
This is a common question.

An FX and a DX lens with the same stated focal length have the same focal length. So yes, you still need to apply that 1.5x crop factor to both to get you the full-frame-equivalent. It’s the *actual* physical focal length in both cases; focal length is a physical property of the lens, not just a short hand code for the field of view of a lens.

The difference between an FX and a DX lens is that a DX lens won’t cover the whole full-frame sensor size. So if you have a 35mm DX lens and a 35mm FX lens and you mount either of them on a DX/crop camera, you’ll get basically the same view. But if you mount them both on a full frame camera, the FX lens will give you a normal full frame wide angle view and the DX lens will look the same in the center but will get darker (or completely blacked out) towards the edges.

If you labeled crop lenses with their full-frame-equivalent, it would be more confusing because a DX 50mm and FX 50mm would give you the same view on a crop and full frame camera respectively, but vastly different views if you used them both on a crop camera, while a DX 75 and FX 50 would look the same on crop and so on. You’ll sometimes see lenses labeled like that on small-sensor compacts where the lens is non-removable, but never on a serious camera.
>>
>>3455529
The natural upgrade from a 1200d would be either a 6d Mark II or an 80d, depending on how much money you want to burn.
>>
>>3451456
I want all I see in the viewfinder to be in focus.
>>
>>3453340
Depends on your needs desu
>>
>>3454469
Get an FM2 and bash them on the head
>>
>>3455536
Wow thanks bro. Much appreciated and makes sense.
>>
File: 1438122728688.jpg (47 KB, 640x640)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
If I take the same photo with the X-T30 and the X-T3, both with the same lense and settings. Will it look exactly the same or is there still a visible difference in quality?
>>
>>3455708
Exactly the same.
>>
File: IMG_1396 (3).jpg (1.88 MB, 5184x3456)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
Me and my daughter stayed up to try taking photos at night, this is probably the best we got, no editing just saved to jpeg. Any hunts and/or tips on what we're doing wrong, where to go from here?

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 1200D
Camera SoftwareWindows Photo Editor 10.0.10011.16384
Image Created2019:03:27 01:27:49
Exposure Time15 sec
F-Numberf/9.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length20.00 mm
>>
File: 42893.jpg (9 KB, 132x146)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>3450995
Can I take a picture with my flip phone?

Camera Softwarepaint.net 4.1.5
Horizontal Resolution96 dpi
Vertical Resolution96 dpi
>>
>>3455873
does it have a camera?
>>
>>3455870
>Any hints and/or tips on what we're doing wrong, where to go from here?
You need better subjects. A random boring median isn't any more interesting at night than it is in the daytime.

If you live near a body of water, those occasionally look cool in long exposure nighttime shots. Or if you live near a legit city, city lights can look cool at night. Or a very busy street with a walkway over it so you get headlight trails.
>>
>>3455880
Thanks man.
Live in Glasgow, so plenty of everything really.
>>
two quick questions. i got a nikon d3100 couple of years back because like everyone i wanted to be cool and have a dslr.
i want to shoot some videos with the camera, but it doesnt have a mic input. just usb and hdmi. How can i get around that?
secondly: when i start filming there seems top be a limit of 10 minutes. does that have to do with the settings or the sd card or the camera in general? thx for any tips, tricks and solutions.
>>
i got a nikon d3100 couple of years back because like everyone i wanted to be cool and have a dslr.
i want to shoot some videos with the camera, but it doesnt have a mic input. just usb and hdmi. How can i get around that?
secondly: when i start filming there seems top be a limit of 10 minutes. does that have to do with the settings or the sd card or the camera in general? thx for any tips, tricks and solutions.
>>
>>3456191
that's just how your camera is
I'd suggest upgrading heavily to something else, what are you going to film?
>>
>>3456200
oh i just wanted to film a bit indoors but i want to focus on outdoors as well for a potential youtube channel. not doing vlogs exactly but activism and interviews.
>>
>>3456191
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt9juc6uQrs
tl;dr: The jews, filesystem issues and technical limitations (overheating)

For sound get a dedicated recorder and microphones (type depending on use case obviously) and use a clapperboard as an aid for syncing up audio later in post production.
>>
>>3456202
I'd suggest getting a fast lens then and this >>3456204
learn the skill of manual focus as well.
>>
>>3456202
What do you mean by activism and interviews anyway?

It's kinda difficult to imagine how dynamic your workflow is going to be in terms of setup

Assuming you're going to have a talk show style interview indoors you can get away with a clapperboard and taking your time to get things set up, giving the speakers lavalier mics and whatnot.

If it's the sort of dynamic environment where you can't plan your takes to work in the 10 minute limit then you'd be best off either using your phone or buying a dedicated camera.

There are advantages to film cameras compared to DSLRs in terms of the lenses you'd encounter as well
(varifocal vs parfocal)
>>
>>3456212
thanks for the input. it would be a more dynamic setup if you can even call it that. you know going to streets and protests and interviewing people.
>>
>>3456215
You're probably best getting as compact of a setup as possible

Personally I wouldn't feel too comfortable waving a relatively expensive equipment around a group of most likely not the happiest sort of folk moving in a most likely not the calmest fashion

Any sort of cables on your audio devices are also out so even if you had a microphone input on your camera I wouldn't really trust people not to trip over the cable and break stuff

I'd go with a handheld recorder type of thing or a wireless dynamic microphone you can connect to your smartphone

Given that your camera still records audio (even if it's shitty) just clap or make some sort of easy to point out sound as you start the take and use those as reference points for syncing in post
>>
>>3456221
those are some good tips. yes i wouldnt invest a lot in equipment as i am just starting out. it would have to be a wireless microphone of course. the smart phone option might be a good one to consider,
>>
>>3455708
The same, they share the same processor and sensor. People thinking the camera body makes a huge difference are noob idiots. The lens itself has the biggest impact on the quality of the images you take.
>>
>>3451050
What would a picture from this even look like
>>
Are there any decides to using the VR feature?
>>
>>3456986
hell yeah always, not on a tripod though because it can potentially fuck you up that way
>>
>>3456191
You can up the limit to 17 mins with a custom firmware (google nikon hacker). More not possible because limitation baked in hardware.
Use an external recorder, integrated sound like shit anyway. Zoom or Tascam, cheap, decent quality.
>>
>>3451029
It's fine. I believe you'll have to use crop mode with the a6000, resulting in a not-as-wide-as- expected image
>>
File: 11d.gif (493 KB, 500x375)
493 KB
493 KB GIF
I've asked /r/ and /wsr/ but I'll ask here too.
Anyone got a link to a cracked copy of Capture One?
>>
>>3457415
Free alternatives not good enough?
>>
>>3457419
Getting peer pressured by uni lecturers to use it exclusively.
>>
>>3457421
Have you checked if your uni can give you a license at discount?

You can try this link, but I can't guarantee it to be malware free: B48F743DE358B654C4ED1B1E6641EEE9930FE5BB
>>
>>3450997
noot noot
>>
>>3455870
I think that’s kinda cool.
>>
>>3457421
This one should work:
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:2D64A91DC21E72C9A6AD6829790AB470718A887B&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fbt3.t-ru.org%2Fann%3Fmagnet&dn=Phase%20One%20Capture%20One%20Pro%2012%20v12.0.2.13%20Final%20(x64)%20%5B2019%2C%20Ml%5CRus%5D
>>
How to work on photos in lightroom?
I just noticed that presets look different on a picture wether it's jpeg or raw.
>>
>>3457464
The inherent compression and loss of detail that comes with jpeg means the preset can't change as much effectively as it does with RAW
>>
>>3457464
>>3457465
Also if you're talking about the same photo taken in both jpeg and RAW, your camera pre-processes jpeg by itself, applying white balance, sharpening along with other things

The RAW straight out of the camera will appear much worse than a jpeg, but will give you more flexibility in the edit precisely because the camera didn't bake any settings into it yet and you have all the detail from the sensor to work with.
>>
>>3457443
thanks mayne
>>
I want to buy a small(ish) p&s but the one I'm eyeing for some time was featured on YT recently and the prices skyrocketed and all nearby sellers are out.
The only ones available are from Japan. I found one in good condition, the seller has 4k+ feedback with 99.9% positive rating and seems like a legit camera store. Shipping is EMS only.
Should I go for it? How reliable are japanese sellers?
All the japanese ebayers communication is very japanese and I can't filter out the bullshit from the normal japanese inability to form correct sentences and proper wording.
>>
>>3457483
*3k+ feedback
>>
When posting pics on Instagram is it better if I were to add a caption that emulates the feeling of the photo (a poem or a quote) or do I just post it without any caption and let the image speak for itself
>>
>>3457488
Depends where you stand on the gay spectrum
>>
>>3457483
wow, /p/ is slow today
>>
>>3457490
C'mon man. This is a 'dilemma' I face every time before I post. I think both the options are pretty autistic in its own sense and that doesn't help. Neither are you
>>
>>3457525
Personally I feel like a caption draws attention away from the photo and makes the viewer visualize the story rather than gather it from the image.

Essentially you're obscuring the detail in your image by dividing their attention

Also it's cringy as fuck and very gay.
>>
>>3457483
I always buy my shit from the japanese, well most of the time
not gotten anything bad from them yet, I've only gotten something bad from european sellers with good ratings
>>
>>3456187
record audio externally. sync with a clapperboard since you have no timecode with that cam I guess.
the limit is due to legal reasons where they have to limit recording times in still cams, otherwise it would be handled as a camcorder. this or sometimes it's a cooling issue.
>>
>>3457526
Seeeee? You can be constructive and helpful too.
Thanks anyway, fag
>>
I'm out most days hoping to get pictures and learn, when im happy with my work is it A) advisable to ask /p/ for their comments advice
B) ok to start a thread for them?

I dont wanna fuck with board ettiquette
>>
>>3457534
Thanks. I just went and bought the MX-1. Arriving in a couple weeks.
>>
>>3457559
good choice
>>
>>3457540
I've confirmed monkey kills
>>
>>3457557
I'm new to the board but I'd say it's ok to start a thread if you have enough material to warrant making one

I'd say that's 5+ shots if not more
If you have less than that I'd say you should post in one of the several generals like recent pictures, shitty pictures, best pictures even.

But if you have multiple I'd say start your own thread so you don't bury everyone else in those threads with only 1 or 2 shots trying to get an opinion.

That's my take on it, but again, I'm new.
>>
>>3457573

Thanks man. I'm new to photography and the baord, so i dont think my pictures warrant their own thread as of yet. I found a thread for recent photos, so i dumped a few there ( >>3457493 ) I took about 120 today, but I only really liked about 20, so I dumped a few in there. Thanks for the response though.
>>
>>3457570
Thanks. I literally choked when I saw it in Burling's new video, and only needed a few days more for my savings to be complete.
>>
File: 1552776319027.jpg (128 KB, 1240x874)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
hello /p/
how much memory does a image with a dslr camera usually take?
looking at buying some camera and sd card for it to take some cool pictures
thanks
love, /a/
>>
>>3457842
mine is about 50-35MB for each picture
but it's all dependent on megapixels and whether it's full frame or not and if it has compression in raw, usually 24MP raw is about 15-25MB which is standard.
if you shoot jpeg you'll be fine with 16GB card but I'd suggest shooting raw and getting a 64GB SD card, though I'm running 200GB total in my camera and I barely even use 10% at times.
>>
>>3457842
12mb to 45mb

more megapickles, bigger the size.

go for it anon, post your pics here.
>>
>>3457842
Assuming you're shooting in RAW (which you should) it'll be in the area of 10-30MB per image

SD cards are cheap anyway and you should be copying images to your PC after each sesh so you don't lose them/risk failure.

Just get a decently fast one (up to the speeds your camera supports or requires)
>>
>>3457847
>>3457849
>>3457850
yikes those are some big images
thanks
>>
>>3457851
well storage is cheap and the information you're able to pull out of raw files is justifiable for those large files.
it's only when you go up to 46MP(80-100mb) that I start to have problems with it.
>>
>>3457572
And I've fought a gorilla in a hand to hand combat
>>
What are some good external hard drives for saving photo?
>>
>>3457895
>/gear/
>>
>>3450995
Anyone have any lut packs or megas with luts lmao
>>
stupid question: will i die if I drink 7 L of water in under an hour?
>>
How do I clean my dads old Olympus Om-2 thats covered in dust? Its just the exterior of thr camera thats dusty. Lens cap was on this whole time
>>
>>3458154
>>
>>3458170
>>
File: 1520592684970.png (107 KB, 341x334)
107 KB
107 KB PNG
Are there any really good black+white digital cameras (other than maybe hasselblad)?

Seems that it would be, from a hardware engineering standpoint, easier to make a ridiculously crazy good sensor if all it has to worry about are any of the millions of shades of grey between b+w instead of colour.
Perhaps I'm saying this because monochrome film photos were the first to be produced and the technique refined, but do any of those principles apply to digital? Does being monochrome simplify the way a camera retrieves the information from the sensor allowing for a much denser and sensitive sensor/faster processing of said information to produce RAWs/store and write to chip?
>>
>>3458169
very carefully
>>
>>3457572
300?
>>
>>3458198
Leica makes one. They're all stupid expensive. Breaks my heart.
>>
>>3458198
Just buy a Fuji and always shoot in Acros mode
>>
I am shooting a friends wedding later this year, we went to film school together but the venue has asked my gear to be pat tested (battery chargers I guess) and that I have insurance. Anybody else got experience getting public liability just for one day like this. There will be 3 of us filming so ideally we'd get all 3 on one policy?
>>
>>3458229
Mention to the venue that one of your buddies attending the event also happens to be a building inspector and that it may be in the venue's best interest to turn a blind eye about some asinine requirement to get insurance so that *you'll** turn a blind eye.
When was the last time a photographer/film studio paid top dollar for good equipment only for it to blow up in their face like some chinkshit samsung galaxy. Never.

You are literally throwing away money before you earn a cent.
>>
how do i stop taking snapshits and start taking photos?

also- what happens if you hit that like button that showed up today?
>>
>>3458314
By practice. Go out and shoot more.
>>
>>3458314
when you get enough likes your IP adress gets leaked and you won't be able to post any pictures
>>
File: 3.29.27-1.jpg (1.94 MB, 1500x995)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB JPG
>>3458321
i shoot every day, i take a camera everywhere. i sometimes make well balanced and well composed snapshots but they're still snapshots. i feel like i haven't broken through to the level i see in other people's photos. i'm just shooting things and in a sort of cold and distant way. i should read a book i guess.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 7.5 (Windows)
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2019:03:31 23:46:34
>>
>>3458327
Look at other photos as well, see what makes them great and what don't, critique your own photos accordingly. Study compositions that makes photos good.
>>
File: 1521912441436.jpg (10 KB, 450x450)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>3458327
Focus on the technical basics, get them straight, then bend your will into your photos.

These sort of avantgarde artsy style photos you compare your work to are fucking trash-tier garbage yet have us all mesmerized by "wooh, double exposure/comfy asian text neon-sign alleyway/still-moving life"
Give me a fucking break.

Break _into_ the mould of the mountain of photography wannabe rejects attempting to show the world how they break _out_ of said mould with their pathetic attempts. All they leave behind is rubble, so document their failures. That'd be a laugh.

>Inb4 "hurr incel adams shill"
Fuck that guy. Anyone can take a picture of a mountain, it isn't going anywhere. The power of photography lies in your ability to bring a refreshing unique view of the typical in untypical contexts and vice versa. A mountain with high contrasty clouds is fine and all, but how about a bokeh from way up high that gives that "miniatirized" look of a specific mountain range amongst others, like those bokeh-shots of cars and people on streets against a backdrop of buildings.
How about photos from angles that should be theoretically impossible, but non-euclidan space tricks are employed to make impossible, possible.

I myself have a death stare compilation. People have this splitsecond "i see you photographing me and I'm kinda not happy about it but i look at you anyway and this is the scowl that I could prepare in the 1/400th of a second available"-face/scowl which they wear once the notice me snapping them. I'm a fucking psychopath behind a camera, I'll admit. Sue me
Just take photos man, get gud first tho, then worry about if other people think you are "gud" too.
>>
>>3450995
If I use an Infrared lens, I don't have to mod the camera otherwise to get those shots yeah?
>>
File: Capture.gif (156 KB, 902x464)
156 KB
156 KB GIF
the fuck is this
>>
File: Duv-kLUWwAEhGNV.jpg (2 KB, 124x104)
2 KB
2 KB JPG
Just bought a 40d and a vello bg-c3 grip for it used

The grip shutter button focuses but doesnt fire....any ideas?
>>
cutting up lexan or buying a ceramic filter to protect my lenses from debris/projectiles for airsoft photography?
>>
>>3458568
stuck pixel?
>>
>>3458582
airsoft rounds don't shatter glass as far as i know, it's not a bad habit to keep a uv filter on your lenses just to protect them anyway
>>
File: X7BPCR40528.jpg (972 KB, 1440x955)
972 KB
972 KB JPG
>>3458586
They can and they do, just like they split teeth.

>>3458582
An ordinary UV/protector filter is enough as long as you aren't an idiot. Always let the organizers know what you're doing, wear high visibility clothing, read the situations and move in a way that doesn't look like sneaking around.
>>
>>3458584
>stuck pixel
googling gives me all kind of answers, so is it fixable or not? taken with a D3400
>>
>>3458592
Had a feeling a UV filter would work fine as long as I'm smart. I tried shooting on the field the other day and had some fun, wore a hi-vis of course and made sure people knew I was coming around corners.
>>
File: 1487343233171.jpg (120 KB, 720x404)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>clean focusing screen in T6
>scratch it because i slipped
>order new one from ebay
>shitters ship it in tissue paper so its covered with micro dust particles that wont blow off
>wash it with soapy water
>mircro dust still intact
>more distracting than dust on original focusing screen

What the fuck do I do at this point ? call canon so they can tell me that the focusing screen isn't a replacement part despite being removable with a finger nail.
>>
>>3458568
hot or dead pixel
does this always show up or only during high iso?
if it always shows up it's dead
>>
>>3458582
I would just get a square filter mount and put a piece of plexi in it instead of a filter
I doubt any threaded protective filter is going to do anything but shatter and scratch your lens anyway.
>>
What's with Fuji and RAW images?

Everyone on here says Fuji users only take Jpeg images, that RAWs on Fuji are worthless, etc.
>>
>>3458833
So it is always there
well FUCK
>>
>>3458939
don't worry too much about it, you can just heal it in photoshop or something
>>
>>3458939
Most cameras have some sort of dead pixel mapping try googling it for your camera
>>
Samyang and Rokinon are the same shit right?
>>
>>3459032
Yes
>>
How does depth of field change with focal length? The lower the focal length, the more subject isolation you get?
>>
>>3459151
Its not lower and higher, it's wider and narrower. Narrower focal ranges will have more depth, more isolation.
>>3459032
Yes Americans have trouble pronouncing Samyang, and associate it with Chinese things, so they're called Rokinon there.
>>
How do you guys find things to shoot?
I'm trying to get some photos in the woodland area around my house, but everything just seems really dead and washed out still.

Really struggling with finding motives
>>
Opinion on x100f? What does it suck at? I know no extra lenses could be a drawback but I dont think I would mind too much because Im keeping as a hobby and travel camera.
>>
>>3459182
It's a bit heavy as well, but other than already mentioned constant 35mm equivalent, I've seen no other problems with it.
>>
>>3459197
Though, I got to say, it can become a bit dull. Owning regular mirrorless, and you're getting fed up with it? Pop a retro lens on it, and it's a new camera. Here you're left with same glass, and some attaching nonsense Fuji is trying to shill to you.
>>
>>3459176
Post a sample of what you have.

I find good motivation to make use of what you have is to see photos taken by other people in a similar situation and then believe you can do better. Unless their work is massively better, try to emulate their work instead until you find a niche.
>>
File: DSC09466-01.jpg (1.6 MB, 1280x1920)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB JPG
>>3459199
Not that anon, but fuck retro lenses.
Granted they were fun for a week or two, but I'm an EXIF fag, and you lose basically all important information like fstop and focal length, not to mention autofocus is isn't something one intentionally goes without unless you can avoid it.

If I could turn back time and gotten an equivalent to my Sigma 16mm f/1.4 except with lens-IBIS, I would have. My a6000 doesn't have body-IBIS, and there's some things not worth going without "for the fun of it".

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-6000
Camera SoftwareSnapseed 2.0
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.4
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)24 mm
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2019:04:03 01:00:40
Exposure Time1/4000 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating100
Brightness10.6 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length16.00 mm
Image Width1280
Image Height1920
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3459217
You don't get much with body stab on wide angle lenses. A bit of shake reduction on still, and that's it. For vid even ibis has questionable returns.
>>
>>3459218
True, but the uses of wides also extends to low-light action situations like concerts and evening cat-walk closeup portraits to name a few. There you have no chance of setting up a tripod or even using a flash when the venue prohibits it/its frowned upon due to disturbance.

But I did debate that the use-case of a wide where IBIS is nearly required is incredibly slim, and desu, if you're in that situation, one should be making enough bank to not ever have this be a problem. Either the lens has it, or the body does, but never neither.
>>
File: photos.png (1.05 MB, 1144x627)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB PNG
>>3459215
I'm a beginner so I'm mostly just taking somewhat close shots of things that have some color or texture to them
>>
>>3459232
On wide angle lenses it just isn't as needed as on other lenses. Panasonic was without ibis for a long time, and they don't have any stab on their wider lenses.
>>
I found the X100F kinda boring after a while and it's a weird complaint but it's too quiet. The click of a camera is quite a satisfying part of photography for me.
>>
File: IMG_20190313_192510-01.jpg (847 KB, 1920x1080)
847 KB
847 KB JPG
>>3459250
The fuck are you complaining about, these look great. Capitalize on this, and get a good macro lens.

Post on insta, get likes, build following, make website with pictures to buy, spread word to local scientific institutes or advertising firms looking for photogs with own kit to get up close material of products they need pictures of.

Research and emulate other famous macro photographers.

Also, try food. People love close up razor sharp macros of food. Ever opened one of those $250 books with photos of laboratory-tier dishes?
I sure ain't gonna get that sort of footage with my fucking 16mm f/3.5 kit zoom on a crop sensor. You however...might, with the right kit and motivation.

Equipment MakeOnePlus
Camera ModelONE E1001
Image Created2019:03:13 22:53:19
Exposure Time1/617 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/2.1
FlashFlash, Compulsory
Focal Length3.79 mm
Image Width1920
Image Height1080
Exposure Index177
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
>>
>>3459299
Uhh well.. thanks I guess

I do want to get a macro lens one day, feel like a proper DSLR and a macro is still a long way off for me

What the fuck is that thing in your picture though?
>>
>>3459303
Seared Cod filet on bed of buttered mashed peas, garnished with grilled beet slices and curly cress.
>>
>>3459309
Is it yummy?
>>
>>3459316
You bet your taste buds it does or else we wouldn't be charging a tidy sum for it.

@all, on a different note, is it worth wiping the crap off my current insta and replacing them with my portfolio images or should I just make a whole goddamn website first? Thing is I don't want monthly webhosting costs before I make a dime from shoots.
Insta just seems so done and dusted, like the fast food approach to sating hunger rather than going through the grind of a professional frontend. Insta/500px/flickr do have the advantages of social-networking that a website does not, despite their drawbacks.
>>
>>3459250
what kind of post-processing did you do on middle row, second from left?
>>
File: dmnd16d.jpg (1.7 MB, 4608x2592)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB JPG
>>3459250
You've a long way to go even with what you're currently shooting. I see some great subjects, and some lousy executions as well. You can improve a lot by just focusing on flowers and still life. And perfecting it, that's the key point. Small object are good for learning composition, colour balance, editing, and lighting. You've more room in camera positioning. Experiment with different angles, observe how light and shadows affect them, and lastly, learn editing with what you get. No matter what you do later and how you look at it, skills learned here, will come in effect in other areas.
Everything can be taken lightly, and everything can be perfected. A lot of photographers try to downplay certain arts, certain subjects, they're an arrogant group at times, jet what they fail to grasp is that true craft can be anything, and that's often their doom.
>>
>>3459299
that's one way to eat a fish stick
>>
So are cable-releases a standardized size like pc connectors? Not electric ones, but the actual mechanical devices.

If I buy one from ebay labeled to fit Zeiss Ikon folding cameras like my Nettar, will it also work with my Minolta SRT?
>>
>>3458835
This seems like a pretty good idea. Bet it’d help protect the sides of the lens from oblique shots too.
>>
>>3459379
Dunno about your folder, but I know that my yashica mat takes a different kind of release than something like an SRT, so there are at least two types out there.
>>
>>3459415
ok thanks. just looking at pictures they all have a similar threaded end, would have been nice if it were standardized
>>
just heard recently about image stabilization systems that are "tripod detecting" and apparently automatically deactivate when the camera is put on a tripod.

just wondering though, how is that a specific feature and not just an inherent function of any stabilizing system? why would it be compensating nonexistent movement?
>>
What can i do with an old canon powershot sd300? I'm thinking of ripping out the female tripod mount, the viewfinder, and tossing out the rest.
>>
>>3459421
They might be the same if they look that similar. In the example i gave, the cable trip my yashica uses is some weird affair with internal threads as opposed to a nipple with external ones.

Like, if someone were to look at a cable trip for a yashica mat next to one for an SRT, there’d be no confusing the two.
>>
>>3459423
Here u go

https://cameratraders.home.blog/2019/04/01/how-i-built-my-own-digital-medium-format-camera-from-scratch/
>>
File: Autofocus-1000x605.jpg (92 KB, 1000x605)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>3459422
>automatically deactivate when the camera is put on a tripod
What retarded company is peddling this as a feature.
>>
>>3459422
Not turning off IS when your camera is on a tripod causes shake and blurry photos. When the IS is turned on, the camera is constantly compensating for movement... even when it isn't moving at all.

https://youtu.be/jmd2Qq-kUdk
https://youtu.be/7Wx6iejfOSE
>>
any /p/ recommended guides for Lightroom processing? I've watched some Youtube guides and have a feel for the basics, but I still dunno if I'm doing anything right.
>>
I want to get into astrophotography. Just for fun, nothing serious. I have a crop sensor Canon. Looking at wide angle lenses that are recommended I see they're all built for full sensors but work with crop. My question is, is it worth paying up for a wide angle around f2.8 if on a crop, or would say 20mm+, which can be had for much cheaper, achieve good results as well?

Still new so sorry if this is a retarded question.
>>
>>3459339
I suppose the most notable thing there is dropping the saturation and luminance values on the yellows to get some detail to show, otherwise you're just looking at a glowstick
>>
>>3458835
>>3459411
I'll look into square filter holders. I have a sheet of lexan that I could cut up
>>
File: DSCF2830-1.jpg (535 KB, 2160x1080)
535 KB
535 KB JPG
>>3459515
>>3459339
Correction, it's saturation down, luminance up on the yellow

Here's how it looked out of the camera

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelFinePix S5600
Camera SoftwareRawTherapee 5.5
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.2
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Maker Note Version0130
Image Width1080
Image Height1080
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2019:03:30 15:22:02
Exposure Time1/56 sec
F-Numberf/3.2
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating64
Lens Aperturef/3.2
Brightness5.5 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length63.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
SharpnessNormal
White BalanceAuto
Chroma SaturationNormal
Flash ModeOff
Macro ModeOn
Focus ModeAuto
Slow Synchro ModeOff
Picture ModeAperture Prior AE
Continuous/Bracketing ModeOff
Blur StatusBlur Warning
Focus StatusOK
Auto Exposure StatusOK
>>
>>3459525
Thanks. The Yellows are just super vivid and the rose looks like velvet.
>>3459515
>Glowstick
what do you mean by this, bloom?
>>
>>3459526
Bloom is a good word for it yeah
Though it wasn't really that much of a problem on this one

I noticed it a lot more with daffodils, though I solved that by underexposing them in camera a tad

Or rather exposing them correctly
>>
File: bentax 67.jpg (68 KB, 1200x801)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>3450995
Can someone explain the "medium format look" to me? I understand that it's supposed to be about bokeh, but does it actually have a different progression from focus to out of focus, or does it just refer to the depth of field.
Because in that case doesn't the fact that MF lenses are often leaf shutter lenses or just simply have smaller maximum aperture cancel out the format? A 85mm/1.4 lens on 35mm has less depth of field than the Pentax 67 165mm/2.8 which is the widest aperture 67 format lens I could find with a similar field of view. So what's the benefit of using medium format then? Is it just more detail and less grain?
>>
File: DtjGrfjVYAAl59A.jpg (205 KB, 1200x1200)
205 KB
205 KB JPG
>>3450995
For filming with a DSLR, could I just set the aperture to something like F16 to keep everything in focus and not keep auto focusing?
>>
Except for some specific applications where you need to adjust your exposition faster than what a human can do, why on earth should I prefer automathic/priority exposition + EV control when I can aschieve the very same result, in the same time, in a more straight forward way and with more control just exposing my photo manually?

I don't want to sound rude, but today it's generally more important to take a pic with the best dynamics for post production than shooting a perfectly balanced pic on camera and digital noise from high iso is not a big deal unless you go really really high. This mean that you only have to deal with aperture and time, that are the two real important composion parameters, plus the need to produce a good raw that will allow you to obtain the final result you want.

I feel that for me is a lot more important to look at the histogram and maybe take a test shot than care about the exposimeter.
>>
>>3459560

Yep, but apart for the obvious problem of not always having enough light to do so, as you have said, you will end up with everything in focus. Not a huge deal if you are shooting a porn or some kids playng in the backyard, but a huge problem if you wanna try to do something a bit more artistic.
>>
>>3459567
What could I do as an alternative then? Autofocus looks terrible in recordings.
>>
>>3459568
What are you recording that's making you have to refocus all the time?
>>
>>3459569
I'm recording a large indoor area with some objects close and some pretty far away. The lighting is strong so ISO isn't too much of an issue but I probably can't go beyond F16.
>>
>>3459564
I think you answered your own question mate. Like if I'm taking street photos I don't have time to manually adjust everytime the sun goes behind clouds or I move out of shadows or a million other things so I stick to Shutter Priority because minimizing blur is my priority.

But if I'm taking a portrait shot or landscape then I switch to manual because I have all the time in the world.

Like you said.
>>
>>3459538

I don't want to answer your question because the flame/rational discussion ratio is very high in this kind of topics.
If you are really interested I suggest you to study a bit the basis of optics, with a bit of the mathematics that's behind the scenes. An afternoon on wikipedia will answer most of your questions.
To put it simple, the field of view is a function of focal lenght and the format you are using, the aperture is the ratio between focal lenght and aperture diameter. The depth of field is function of focal lenght, aperture, distance from the point you have in focus ( so, again function of the focal lenght, end eventually format, because those to parameter control the angle of view and changing the distance you can alwais obtain the same frame ) and, at least, the quality of the optics you are using.

So, changing format will change a lot the way you will achieve the same composition and this will influence the DOF, but not because a specific format it's better on it's own. There are some tecnical difficulties ( for example miniaturization), but you could achieve the very same result on every format with the right combination of parameter. The huge problem is that you can't make your own lenses, so you are stuck with what the market can give to you and so, some combinations are posible only on a specific format.
It's up to you to understand what you need.
>>
>>3459575
Yes I understand all of that but what I don't understand is why people always say they can recognise the medium format look and how it has a distinct feel or whatever, when in practice the actual depth of acceptable focus can be easily achieved with other formats as well. I'd understand if there were like 200mm/1.4 lenses for 67 format, but there aren't any. I was just trying to figure out if I was missing something, like for example some sort of non linear focus falloff which would allow for the same depth of field at the same fov, but would make farther objects more blurred. But I guess not
>>
How do I get good at editing? It feels like I'm just moving sliders and going "looks worse, try the other way" with no real rhyme or reason. I want to learn so I can look at a picture and think "okay, I really want to bring out the X and Y here, while getting the Z just right, so I know I need to up the whites and adjust the vibrancy to approximately..." and all that.

What are some good resources for really learning the theory behind editing successfully?
>>
>>3459823
Call me when you find something. I've been through a lot of literature and youtube and other tutorials and guides, and what I've noticed is that everyone is extremely protective of what they show or say. I'd say that evaluation side of things is the hardest. You must first figure out you want to make out of your picture, and there are no easy solutions for that. I find that learning painting composition helps here.
>>
>>3451227
This is true if you’re using modern lenses. Vintage lenses will need the aperture set manually
>>
>>3459849
Minolta x-700 has program mode.
>>
>>3459823
Watch those "how to edit like x" videos on jewtube. I don't like most of the "styles" they show and they often don't end up getting the same results as the guy they're copying, but it's still good material because it shows the step by step process of getting to a specific look.
Always look to your subject for ideas and try to accentuate that. Like let's say your subject is a girl in a bright yellow coat, in a crowd of people in darker coats, or in front of a wall or something. You would first adjust wb so it looks right, then adjust exposure so there's a bit more contrast between the far highlights and far shadows, then I'd probably bring down global saturation by 10, then go to HSL and adjust the luminance and saturation of yellow to the point where it looks bright and saturated but doesn't get that shitty "bloom" effect on the coat, again with HSL look for the colors that immediately surround her and bring their luminance down a bit, maybe push their hue farther from the yellow, then go to split toning and add meme teal to the shadows at like 3 or 4 saturation because it's a meme for a reason and works with yellow. Then I'd look at the image and see if it worked better than it did before. If anything wasn't right I'd go back to HSL and tune it until it was good, refine the exposure a bit and that's it. If I was feeling fancy I'd also load into PS, create a high pass filter layer with a 1-2.5 pixel radius, take a big soft brush and erase everything from the layer except for either the subject or whatever is in perfect focus, and set the layer in overlay. A bit of extra sharpening on your subject works well 90% of the time, but sharpening your out of focus or uninteresting areas is where most people get it wrong. A good way to avoid the classic "oversharpened" look is to not sharpen things that aren't supposed to be sharp.
That's basically my entire workflow, I don't claim to be a genius at it but most of the time I like the results.
>>
File: DSC08416-2.jpg (761 KB, 1920x1080)
761 KB
761 KB JPG
What's a proper exposure for night photography? Especially if we're talking available strong light sources and utilizing shadows? I want a look that's similar to baroque paintings but I always have been told its underexposed. Pic related, I tried to use a lot of dark to allow the light to be the subject. Is it underexposed and if so how much steps up should it have been?

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-7M2
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.14 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.0
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)25 mm
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2019:03:28 21:10:15
Exposure Time1/13 sec
F-Numberf/22.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/22.0
Brightness7.5 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceCloudy Weather
Focal Length25.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3459955
Er I realized I used a daytime shot but it's similarly applied I guess?
>>
File: curve.png (5 KB, 175x175)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
>>3459956
You have a sony so exposure in camera doesn't matter unless whites/blacks are clipping. Look up ISO invariance.
As for post processing, I like what you're going for but you can barely see any detail in the shadows and it looks like your highlights are clipping. You should flatten the left side of the exposure curve so the very end of it falls off gradually. This decreases contrast in the shadows, so if you adjust exposure until the lighter end of your shadows look the same as they do on your pic, the extreme shadows will actually be a bit brighter. So you can have pretty much the same dark shadows without losing all the detail due to clipping. Something like pic related could work. I'd do that first, and leave shadows, highlights and blacks alone in the exposure tab, bring whites up quite a bit, then decrease the exposure until there's no clipping and there's enough detail in both the shadows and the highlights.
>>
>>3459980
Holy shit you are amazing ty for the actual response.
>>
File: LR example.png (2.96 MB, 2235x1037)
2.96 MB
2.96 MB PNG
>>3459984
No worries anon. I like writing this stuff down and editing other people's photos as practice.
Here I had to work a bit backwards since you already had quite a bit of clipping in the highlights while the rest of the shot was quite underexposed. I brought up the shadows slider and brought down the highlights so they would more or less stay the same once I brought up exposure, which I had to do because I brought down the midtones+shadows while pushing them a bit closer together and pushing them further away from the highlights which is really the main point. Make the highlights as bright as you can without clipping and bring the midtones+shadows further away from them. You'd of course have a lot more flexibility with a raw file.
>>
>>3459988
>>3459984
Oh yeah forgot to say but pretty much all of the area circled in red is clipping so no details can be recovered from there. I'm pretty sure sony cameras have an option to show white clipping in the EVF, try using that when you shoot
>>
>>3459955
Motherfucking fuck thats creamy as hell. Really comfy
>>
My sister is going to give me a nikon d3100 that she bought but has been sitting around unused for about 3 years, with the battery in. Will it work?
>>
File: 1553166762892.gif (9 KB, 645x773)
9 KB
9 KB GIF
>>3450995
>reduce the amount of light that hits the sensor (aperture)
>more of the image becomes clearer
explain this for a turbobrainlet
>>
>>3450995
What's the optimal way of building a portrait oriented portfolio when you don't know anyone? Thinking about doing street shots to strangers, then move to modelling students and eventually go to weddings to get many different contexts. I'm not a sperg I swear.
>>
>>3460051
Theres less angular beams of light to choose focus on, only light coming in at straighter angles perpendicularly relative to the angle of the sensor, this means everything hitting the sensor is more or less *already* "in focus".

A very open aperture lets in light that is in focus, but far more light that isn't. Thus you get relatively more "out of focus" light beams than just what you are focusing on. This is why you must "choose" what to focus on with a more open aperture but the upside is that more luminance is allowed through.
>>
>>3459592
There are a few specific lenses that are able to get blurrier backgrounds than a full frame lens, for example the 105mm f/2.4, which is a 50mm f/1.1 equivalent in terms of full frame.

Another factor in the medium format """look""" is the extra resolution, clarity and vastly reduced grain the bigger negative gives compared to a 35mm frame (if we are talking film). A properly scanned 6x7 negative comes pretty close to digital in terms of resolution.
>>
File: 1529696814426.png (22 KB, 485x443)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
>>3460072
thanks
>>
>>3460070
do you have family or friends
>>
>>3460095
No.
>>
What does the f/ value of a lens mean in practical terms and why do lower values make lenses so much more expensive?
>>
File: 1552387617231.jpg (100 KB, 1440x1299)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
what should i do once ive taken a photo that im satisfied with
what do YOU do once youve taken a photo that you are satisfied with
>>
File: 1548429566143.jpg (39 KB, 750x750)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>3460270
f-stop is a dimensionless value that refers to a fraction of or the inverse value of the total size the aperture (that little iris with the circular blades, no not the shutter) currently lets in light at. f/16 means a 16th (tiny hole) of a theoretical maximum of the internal width of the lens, f/4 is 1/4th (less tiny hole), etc.
As explained here >>3460072, it becomes more difficult to make sense of/bring a slice of an image into focus a the larger/"less nonexistent" the aperture is relative to the total width of a lens. This presents itself as variably extreme levels of bokeh.

Glass must be engineered much more finely and intricately moved within the lens for aperture/f-stop values nearing f/1.0 than from f/4+ and so on. Not to mention this must play off with the focal length of the lens. An f/4 16mm lens is less hard to engineer than a f/1.4 16mm, thus is cheaper.

Now imagine if you have all this sitting in a zoom lens. There eventually approaches a form factor/internal volume limit to how many components you can stuff into a lens casing to make that fabled 4mm-800mm f/1.1-f/32 with autofocus and internal stabiliser, etc. for a mount of your choice without it simply not fucking fitting, or the lack of fucks the customer has for lugging around what is essentially a telescope the size of an audi in their pocket.

Lens manufacturers thus make compromises based on many interplaying factors such as manufacturing complexity, retail cost, form factor, and consumer use-case (maybe all you want is to take pics of are buildings so you grab a 35mm f/4 for cheap), which means depending on how good your glass is and what the market currently would like to take pictures of, your lenses either become hallmark favorites or bargain bin rejects.
>>
>>3460274
look at it
>>
>>3460331
Makes sense. So what are the benefits of lower f-stop values for the shooter apart from bokeh? Are lower f-stops also just indicative of higher quality lenses in general and thus more desirable?
>>
>>3460356
Low f lens has bigger aperture, it means it needs more glass. More glass means it's more expensive.

Low f generally is just used for fashion portraiture. Everything else is pretty much bokeh whoring. Serious photography actually prohibits it. Documentary, newspapers, nature magazines, are all against it. Bokeh is treated as lens defect, warping of reality, and it's avoided for that reason.

That's not saying that you'd avoid low f lenses for serious work. You don't buy the most expensive lenses just for use at low f. They will be very good at higher f's as well. Since it's more expensive manufacturers fit the best tech in it.
>>
How does one take great pictures of things like the moon and moonlit landscapes?

I tried to increase the time it takes to shoot a photo and use a stative and played around in the options, but all I get are either images that are too lit up, or "standard" photo images (like if you just take a pic with your phone or something) that do not replicate what you actually see with your eye at all.
>>
File: DSC06494-01.jpg (1.69 MB, 1920x1357)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB JPG
>>3460356
Low f/stop allows in a fuckload more light.
This is useful in conjunction with inbuilt stabilisation for events such as concerts and indoors where there is low light and would otherwise force a higher iso (more grain) or longer shutter (more chance of blur), and using a flash/tripod is disallowed/impractical.
The bokeh you have at f/1.4 when focusing on a subject and blurring out the crowd/stage hind-vfx does however allows for some nice photoeffect.

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-6000
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)0 mm
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2019:01:24 03:24:42
Exposure Time1/500 sec
F-Numberf/0.0
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating100
Brightness2.9 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length0.00 mm
Image Width1920
Image Height1357
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3460362
>>3460443
Thanks guys, I understand now.
>>
NEW
>>3460482
>>3460482
>>3460482
>>3460482
>>
>>3460381
The camera wont really show a moon scene the way youd like it to just like a sunrise or sunset. Treat the full moon like a shittier sun where its blowing out the exposure if you adjust to catch the landscape but the landscape is dark/black and the moon is crisp and detailed.

Theres tons of YouTube vids that go in depth with night shots.
>>
I got a second hand SLR with used roll of film in it.
Is the film still good or should I throw it away?
>>
>>3451050
I used one of these once, it's so awkward.
>>
>>3451697
Why do you have a ball and chain?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.