[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 129 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

File: DSC00173.jpg (652 KB, 1848x2768)
652 KB
652 KB JPG
absolute Meme camera edition

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/03/04/yongnuo-yn450-android-powered-mirrorless-camera-cp-2019/

This is the thread where we discuss everything related to gear.
Don't be a jerk and be polite.

Previous thread >>3437963
>>
a small update
>>3444055
it made it broke it so now I'll have to wait for chinks to spend 2 months sending me a new one
I'm going to attempt hardboiling and microwaving it later though
>>
Hey guys I'm looking for an affordable macro lens for e-mount.

I don't have any other requirements than reasonable sharpness and the shortest focus range possible. Vintage lenses are fine, too.

Any recommendations?
>>
>>3444234
This could be the best idea ever if they used MFT mount, WTF is wrong with them, EF without built in telecompressor? What were they thinking?

Maybe Sony will notice and make a phone with E mount, they are courageous enough to try things.
>>
>>3444275
What makes this a good idea in your opinion? Why would you want a camera with smartphone functionality? Genuinely interested.
>>
>>3444275
>What were they thinking?
They were thinking “we make clones of Canon lenses with the EF mount. If we put an EF Mount on our camera, we will immediately have a lens lineup ready to sell people”.

From an engineering/photographic perspective, it’s dumb as hell. From a Chinese business perspective, makes perfect sense.
>>
samsung should bring back the nx
>>
>>3444276
I will abandon a smartphone with an inferior camera for it.
But only if pancake can be attached, an EF mount itself is too long.
>>
>>3444287
But the point of a phone is to be portable. You can't put a camera with even a small lens comfortably in your pocket.
>>
>>3444287
If it’ll mount EF-S, you can get the 24mm (which would be a normal angle pancake on 4/3). If it’s legitimately just EF, you’re only option is the 40/2.8, which would me 80mm-equiv.
>>
Trying to choose between a D600/610 and a D750.
It seems possible to get a D600 with no shutter/oil issue for around $450 - $500 while a D750 seems to hover around $900 - $1100.
Is a D750 really worth that much more?

I will only be shooting portraits so it's not like I'm going to have moving subjects. Decent low light perfomance is a bit of a want but as long as the D600 will be able to focus on a static subject in low light I'm okay with that. I don't mind a slower AF speed either.
I will most likely have an 85mm sigma art 1.4 on at all times shooting wide open.
>>
>>3444295
No mount that involves a mirror will work because >>3444294.
A 6300 with kit fits in my pocket fine, phone size is only a problem if a screen is bigger than 5”
>>
Buying my first digital camera soon- probably want to go mirrorless for the increased portability, but DSLR is not totally out of the question. My budget is around $500, for now a kit lens will have to do, although of course I plan on getting faster/better lenses in the future.

I plan on taking a decent amount of pictures at cycle races, so I'm assuming a good autofocus will be pretty important to me in order to get decent photos. Besides that I enjoy car photography as well as nature shots.

My #1 choice as of now is the Canon M50, as it seems to have pretty good image quality, easy to use menus, a small size, and a decent AF. The main drawback seems to be the lens mounting system and concerns about lens options in the future.

Others on my list are the Canon SL2, Sony A6000, and Fuji XT-100. I don't know if the SL2 has as good AF as the M50 and it is less portable, however the native lens support seems to be a plus for it as well as it being a bit cheaper than the M50. The Sony seems like a decent choice (I have a friend with an A6300 who takes very similar photos to what I plan on doing and it is working well for him) however it seems like one of the least intuitive cameras out there to use and apparently the kit lens is not very good (and Sony lenses are pretty expensive). I love the image quality of the Fuji and it seems very easy to use, but I don't think it's the proper platform for action photography.

Any thoughts or things I should think about?
>>
>>3444350
Sony is the best camera for action photography as they have the world's fastest autofocus and GOAT real time AF and Eye AF. You can get great Sigma lenses for cheap.
>>
>>3444354
>500 usd
>>
>>3444356
The kit lens for the a6000 is good. It only becomes a problem if you like to pixel peep, it is not very sharp around the corners. But pretty good for IG and iPads and monitors. Just search for your lenses on flickr and see if you like it
>>
>>3444354
None of that is true with the a6000 he’s looking at.
>>
>>3444358
This is also true for the Canon and Fuji kit lenses.

Don’t base your purchasing decisions on kit lens quality. (A) they’re all basically as good as each other nowadays and (B) if you’re interested in photography, it will likely not be one of the lenses you use the most.
>>
Should I be worried about buying a grey-market body (A7III)? I see all sorts of opinions online but I was wondering if anyone could share their experience/thoughts.
>>
>>3444367
as long as it is a reputable dealer you should be fine, don't count on the 3rd party warranty they supply though.
>>3444358
most of the things you said in >>3444354 dont apply to a6000.
>>
>>3444369
Any reputable dealers that service the US? I've had my eye on e-infin but they're based out of the UK/HK like a lot of other dealers on ebay
>>
>>3444377
most grey market sites are UK/HK based since those two countries special relations make grey market imports significantly easier, they deliver to the US though so I don't see why it matters?
>>
Anyone here going to get the EOS RP?
>>
>>3444379
Oh okay, thanks. I figured that was the case but wasn't too sure since I'm used to buying gear second hand from a friend who as clueless as I am regarding grey-market gear.
>>
>>3444354
DSLR autofocus still beats the crap out of mirrorless autofocus when it comes to fast moving objects y'know, DSLR is much better for sports while mirrorless is much better for tracking even if that same technology could be applied to DSLRs e.g. Canon, Sony does beat the crap out of Canon when it comes to that though but the canon gets to keep it's DSLR phase detect which is a plus.
On and off-sensor PD both have their advantages and disadvantages.
>>
>>3444380
Haha no
>>
>>3444380
Too soon. I think the shit The RP gets is mostly unjustified, but it will probably be worth getting once they drop the R's successor.
>>
File: Leica.jpg (35 KB, 500x500)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
What does the magnification factor relate to for a Leica?
I understand what it means for an SLR, but how does it effect the usage of an RF?
>>
>>3444278
Olympus did sell those OM adapters when they first introduced the 4/3 system...
>>
>>3444280
Why?
>>
>>3444334
Can you get a D750 without the shutter issue?
>>
>>3444367
I'd be worried about any e mount body
>>
File: qvLBT05.jpg (38 KB, 720x480)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>3444407
Wait
The D750 also has a shutter issue?
>>
>>3444410
The D600/D610 shutter would spackle the sensor with oil.
The D750 (probably because Nikon moved production of the 700 series to Thailand) shutter would prematurely fail.
They issued three recalls for the issue and next batches were still fucked.
>>
>>3444413
At this point it just seems easier to get a D600 with a replaced shutter than it is to gamble on a used D750
Fug
>>
>>3444417
Probably, even if it's not fixed, you can clean the sensor if it gets soiled.
I'd go with Canon if you aren't invested in Nikon or buy a D700 if you are.
>>
>>3444380
It depends on quite how small that 70-200 RF really is going to be and how much it will cost.
>>
>>3444419
Any reason to buy the 700 over 600 at the same price?
>>
>>3444451
Better build quality.
It's made in Sendai so you won't have to deal with third world QC issues.
>>
>>3444400
I had an M8. The rangefinder just mechanically couples the lens to a focusing mechanism - it isn't really relevant to crop factor. You can crop everything but the tiny little area covered by the rangefinder patch and still be in focus.

The M8 has bizarre, unique and interesting colors but I miss it a little.
>>
>>3444470
Did you get another Leica?
Did you use a hot mirror with it?

I'm aware of how the lenses link to the RF.
I was wondering why the M3 was praised for its .92x viewfinder over the other models.
>>
>>3444334
d800
>>
>>3444404
The NX1 Still bows the GH5 out of the water in terms of video and photo quality
>>
>>3444501
No replacement for displacement
>>
>>3444484
M3 is praised by people that shoot 50mm’s (and must not wear glasses) because the high magnification makes it easier to nail focus at that FL, and afaik it doesn’t have any other frame lines cluttering the viewfinder unlike more modern Leicas that squeeze 75mm lines in the middle

I like the lower magnification models because it means as a glasses wearing person I can actually shoot 28/35 without darting my eyes all around to check framing
>>
>>3444380
April fool's day is still a few weeks ahead.
>>
How much will I regret buying a refurbished Olympus OMD 5.2 and a pancake lens so I can no longer use my DSLR's bulk as an excuse to not take bring a camera with me?
>>
Anyone have experience migrating to a new system? Places to trade or things to consider when changing?

I’ve got a sony a7ii and a couple lenses that i used for last two years. I enjoy photography but i hardly enjoy the system. After making friends that have a bit more professional set ups from other brands, and borrowing their stuff during shoots i feel very different. Admittedly the friends i made all use a bit higher tier gear, but the experience has been completely different.

Not trying to shit on sony in any way, but is it even feasible to sell the gear or try and trade the gear somewhere without losing too much? It seems the second hand value is quite low.
>>
I'm looking to get into photography and buying a proper camera since my last vacation where I was bummed that I only had shitty phone pics(i got an old smartphone), and also just having an excuse to go outside more.

Browsing /p/ for the last few days it seems that there are a lot of people who knock non full frame cameras, is it really that big of a deal for enthusiast, non professional stuff?

Willing to spend somewhere between 1500-2000 eurobucks.

Thoughts?
>>
>>3444616
FF is overrated but it really shines handheld indoors and low light because it allows you to use much more iso than APS-C and m43 without ruining the image, sharpness as well but you won't notice much of it as a casual shooter.
if you don't shoot low light or need a lot of extra information when you post process your photos you don't need full frame, take this from a full frame user, in fact if you don't post process anything at all and just want something that's able to take good photos on the fly you don't need full frame.
just get an x-t2 with the kit lens or even a sony a6500
>>
>>3444616
From what I've seen, the biggest bottleneck between full frame and crop sensor is the lens selection (and low light image quality). There's a lot more lenses for FF, and they have a 3x higher ceiling of quality than available for crop sensor.
However, for someone who doesn't yet own any camera, and (for now) just wants to take photos as a supplement to going outside/vacationing, I wouldn't recommend you spend very much, let alone 2000€.
Crop sensor cameras are perfectly acceptable for this kind of use, and you can squeeze good performance out of even base models.
I would recommend to start out a Nikon D5500 body and a Nikkor 35mm 1.8G prime lens. This combo is light, cheap (about 550 eurobucks brand new), mimics what your eyes see.
Easy to carry around everywhere and take more pictures, which is what will really give you better photos.
>>
>>3444616
Quality lenses are much more important to good quality images than camera bodies. Whatever avenue you go down, full frame, crop sensor, choose a camera body cheap enough that you have a large chunk of your budget left over to buy lenses. The camera industry moves so fast that you'll find your camera body will come and go every other year but your lenses will remain (provided you stay with the same camera mount).

Lenses are a better investment in every way and also retain their value so you can resell them for what you paid. Camera bodies lose value the second you take them out of the box and rapidly lose value as more cameras enter the market, especially successors to the one you have.
>>
>>3444616
You should buy the following combination

>Sony a6000 with kit lens (good for video with OSS): €500
>Sigma 16mm for landscapes: €400
>Sigma 56mm for portraits: €400
>Sigma 30mm for street, city and sightseeing: €300
>Sony 55-210 for wildlife, action and sports: €200
>3 64GB SD-cards: €100
>2 hard drives to back up photos: €100
>3 additional batteries plus charger: €60
>Sony bag to keep your camera free from dirt: €50
>APS-C sensor cleaning set and rocket blower: €30
>cheap travel tripod: €50

A bit more than €2000 but you will be covered for any situation.
>>
>>3444616
Just get a fuji aps-c. They are fun and much better colors out of the box than Sony.

There isn't a huge difference between bodies. I've had a few although I currently own film cameras exclusively.

As for focal lengths, it depends if you want to stay compact. I'd get a pancake like a 27mm or the 18mm then either 35mm or the 18-55 zoom for portraits.
>>
>>3444589
Size won't make much difference in my experience. I went from dSLRs to fuji and then to compacts like Ricoh GR. Eventually I became a bit more serious and selective in my shootings so when I out to shoot, I have no issues wielding my MF cams.
>>
>>3444616
Crop is a false economy.

Full frame has twice as good low light performance as it has twice as large a sensor.

Full frame has a larger pixel pitch, which means it's more forgiving on lenses, so a cheaper lens will appear sharper. (resolution is limited by lens sharpness, not pixel count, no lens outresolves a modern sensor.)

Second hand full frame lenses adapt much better onto a ff sensor.

Full frame gives you much more options for bokeh, and gives smoother bokeh.

Just get a 2nd hand sony a7ii and the tamron 28-75 2.8 and save a few hundred bucks until you know what other lenses you may like.
>>
>>3444671
full frame is actually 2.5 times bigger, not twice as large
>>
>>3444671
>Crop is a false economy.
only in your mindset
>Full frame has twice as good low light performance as it has twice as large a sensor.
Nope. Better? Sure. But nowhere near twice
>Full frame has a larger pixel pitch, which means it's more forgiving on lenses, so a cheaper lens will appear sharper. (resolution is limited by lens sharpness, not pixel count, no lens outresolves a modern sensor.)
again, theoretically yes, but practically unnoticeable unless you view images at 500%
>Second hand full frame lenses adapt much better onto a ff sensor.
thats pure lie because crop actually has advantage as it does not cover edges of lens which are the worst part.
>Full frame gives you much more options for bokeh, and gives smoother bokeh.
bs again. i can show samples of nervous bokeh even on a $900 zeiss 55 1.8 lens.
also the guy want carry camera on his vacation, and youre suggesting him to lug around that massive chunk.
>>
>>3444683
>crop actually has advantage as it does not cover edges of lens which are the worst par
But it also stretches the image making new corners much worse than old ones were compressed, and also degrading the center.
>>
>>3444683
not him but full frame gives you less than half the shutter speed of an APS-C at equivalent ISOs. I'd say that makes it twice as good for low-light but then again we have factors like technique, lenses and stabilization.
oh and when I switched to FF some of my shitty lenses became usable so there's that, not 2.5 times as sharp but definitely measurably sharper when you zoom in at 100% pixels or even 60%.
I'll agree with you though, as much as I like the extra iso performance full frame gives me when handholding it's pointless for a person who wants to use a camera as a P&S.
oh and the bullshit that full frame has more DOF and smoother bokeh is retarded, everyone who believes that deserves to be round up by the firing squad.
>>
>>3444671
HAHAHAHAHHAHAH, this sensorlet is trying to cope. keep your monologue in front of the mirror every time before you drag your micro-sensor in public. Imagine shooting anything/spending money other than medium format, or large format. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>>
>>3444689
>gearfag so seething that he replied to the wrong post.
>>
>>3444690
>being so deeply and irreversibly autistic that he can't read irony
>wew.jpeg
>>
>>3444691
Don't blame me, anon.
You should check out the last gear thread and some other recent gearfaggotry threads, this kind of shit is the unironic level of discourse now.
>>
>>3444671
>Crop is a false economy.
No it isn't.

"False economy" implies that it's cheaper at first but then you have to end up spending more money later. You don't. You can just buy a crop system and stay with a crop system and it's fine. I think what you mean is "Crop isn't a good value".

>Full frame has twice as good low light performance as it has twice as large a sensor.
"Twice as good low light performance" is, as I've explained many times, a misleading way to phrase that. Also, not necessarily true even in the way that you mean it.

With any camera system, you have to balance your aperture against the depth of field you need, and crop gives you an extra stop's worth of DoF. I.e., whereas I might need to shoot f/4 on full frame to get my subject in focus, I could shoot f/2.8 on crop for the same depth of field, so that balances out the ISO advantage of the full frame body. Now, granted, if you're shooting something where extreme shallow DoF is fine, full frame wins, but those situations are outliers.

"Much more" meaning "one". Full frame can get one more stop's worth of bokeh than crop. f/0.95 on a crop sensor is still insanely, generally-unusably shallow depth of field. It's a little *more* shallow on full frame, but you rarely need DoF that shallow.

>a cheaper lens will appear sharper
When pixel peeping sure, but it's not really an issue in practice. Especially with most photos these days being posted at web resolutions, you'd never notice a difference between a full frame sensor and a crop. Even in a print, unless you're looking at it under a magnifying glass, you're unlikely to see a difference.
>>
>>3444484
Gotcha. Well, if you use 50mm lenses (as mentioned above) the 0,92x is big, bright and easy.

I liked the M8 as well as the M240 and M6 that I use. I guess the framelines for 50mm are a little tighter than on the 0.92x models, but it was more versatile.
>>
are there "cheap" cameras with good enough image stabilization that I don't need extra equipment to shoot some short video clips? nothing professional
my iPhone has great stabilization, I tried recording with my old dslr and it's impossible to shoot something while moving
>>
>>3444756
g85, e-m10ii, on the cheaper side of it.

Not a lot of things will perform better than your phone. Phones have stronger processors, so they can do better live software stabilization. And they have smaller sensors, the larger the sensor, more it's effected by camera shake. On the other side, you could stabilize your own dslr footage with digital stabilization.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIPdDpNvc60
>>
>>3444683
>But nowhere near twice
You're an idiot if you don't understand the simple concept that photosites twice as large collect twice as much light.
>>
>>3444688
>full frame has more DOF
If does if you compare the same aperture.
>>
>>3444693
>I could shoot f/2.8 on crop for the same depth of field
>I might need to shoot f/4 on full frame
What is 2.8 X 1.5?
>>
>>3444756
X3000, GoPro
>>
>>3444799
>What is 2.8 X 1.5?
Are you trying to imply that the DoF difference between f/4 and f/4.2 is significant enough to detract from my point, or am I misunderstanding you?
>>
>>3444805
No, the difference in insignificant.
I'm saying an f/4 FF lens is equivalent to an f/2.8 APS-C lens.
If you feel f/2.8 doesn't give you the DoF you require on FF, just buy an f/4 lens.
>>
>>3444807
You can just stop down the f/2.8 lens too
>>
>>3444810
Of course, but I thought you were advocating for smaller lenses.
>>
>>3444807
This equivalence makes me want to switch away from Sony APS-C, too.
If they make a f/2.8 zoom for APS-C, it will compete with f/4 zooms for full frame, and then only G Masters will be faster. So they just won’t. Therefore a native fast zoom will never happen.
>>
>>3444812
Oh, that wasn’t me
Small is also nice sometimes though, but it’s a trade off.
>>
>>3444797
>photosites twice as large collect twice as much light.
There is an important semantic difference between “collects twice as much light” or “needs half as much light for the same level of noise” and “is twice as good in low light”.

Exposure is a logarithmic scale. Doubling/halving the light is one stop along that scale. “Twice as good” implies a much larger difference than “about one stop better”.

It is true that a full frame camera gives you about a stop better noise performance in low light. It is currently true that there exist full frame camera setups that can shoot one stop darker than crop.

But given equal aperture lenses (eg, a 50/1.4 and a 35/1.4), a crop sensor can hold its own against the full frame sensor all the way until that one final stop. If you get a stop-faster lens for the crop, (eg, 85/1.8 vs 50/1.2), there’s basically no difference. The crop sensor can trade a stop of aperture for a stop of iso at every exposure value.

And yeah, you can shoot with something like a Noctilux on full frame and there’s nothing on crop that can match that outside of NASA or the Kubrick estate, but that gives you impractically shallow depth of field for anything but extreme bokeh whoring or dick size measuring, so it’s not really a big deal for most practical photography.
>>
>>3444807
Oh, I see, you completely missed my point. The thing you’re trying to refute my argument with is central to my argument.

I am trying to explain that, for normal depths of field, full frame and crop are close enough that it doesn’t really matter.

Ie, two cameras in the same light. FF gives you a stop lower noise per iso, but crop gives you a stop more DoF per aperture. So you can shoot the crop at iso 800 f/2.8 and the full frame at iso 1600 f/4 and it’s pretty much a wash.

Full frame starts getting better if you’re shooting at f/1.8 or bigger, where crop lenses that can match the effective aperture become more rare and expensive, but those apertures also have depth of field that’s more shallow than you generally want.
>>
>>3444822
FF can also be better if you want zoom, because equivalent ones are still a stop slower. Sony was an extreme example, but not even Fuji APS-C has an f2 standard zoom.
>>
>>3444822
I don't know of anyone (I'm sure they're out there) that claims great images can't be made with APS-C sensors.
The problem with most APS-C is that the system they belong to aren't centred around the format so that the good lenses are always of odd focal lengths.
>>
>>3444234
looks like it came out of a basement.
>>
>>3444350
fuji lenses are more expensive.
with sony you can get sigma art f1.4 but they're huge.
m50, you have a sharp 22mm f2, 32mm f1.4, adapt 50 1.8 stm.
>>
File: wojak.jpg (73 KB, 601x1080)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
What is a good, not too expensive camera, with iphone quality images? I don't have a smartphone . It would be for taking pictures of merchandise.
>>
didn't see the new thread
>>3444635
>>3444907
any advice?
currently debating either the d7000 or d3500
>>
>>3444914
iPhones have shit cameras with tiny sensors so literally any DSLR made after 2008 and any mirrorless camera made after 2011 will kick the shit out of an iPhone. That's why phone manufacturers keep getting caught using DSLR images pretending they were made on a phone.
>>
>>3444917
d7000 if you want
>weathersealing
>a body that feels good to use
>a 100% pentaprism viewfinder
and the d3500 if you want extra technology that ultimately does not matter in a disgusting plastic body
you'd be paying $500 in total for a d3500 body whereas you'd be paying $325 a d7000 which would be leaving you with a lot more money for glass which is the important bit in getting high quality photos.

make your choice
>>3444914
just get a cheap old xt1/a6000 with a 35mm prime.
better photos than any iphone could take in the next 20 years or more.
>>
>>3444956
I can't even find a d7000 for $325, I found a used one for 400 but it doesn't have a shutter count
>>
>>3444958
you sure because I'm looking at ebay right now and finding tons for $300 and less from good sellers
>>
>>3444965
my bad I'll check it out
>>
>>3444671
>Full frame has a larger pixel pitch, which means it's more forgiving on lenses, so a cheaper lens will appear sharper.
Larger pixel pitch has nothing to do with it. Lens resolution is a MTF curve where detail contrast is related to detail size. For the same scene and FoV details are projected to a larger size onto a FF sensor than onto an APS-C sensor, therefore those details have higher contrast (sharpness).

tl;dr - FF is sharper out of camera.

Also: contrary to popular belief, finer pixel pitch improves system performance with any lens.

Now there is a wrinkle to this: crop sensors use the center "sweet spot" of the lens. And older FF lenses tended to have shit edges/corners wide open. So some lenses perform better on crop.

>(resolution is limited by lens sharpness, not pixel count, no lens outresolves a modern sensor.)
Absolutely false. Most good lenses out resolve modern sensors by or before MTF10.

Bokeh is a lens characteristic. It's also identical for a given lens with sufficient distance between the plane of focus and the OOF detail (i.e. at a distance it's governed by physical aperture size).

DoF is related to sensor size, and FF allows you to achieve more shallow DoF. This means more/smoother bokeh for OOF detail near the plane of focus.

>Just get a 2nd hand sony a7ii and the tamron 28-75 2.8 and save a few hundred bucks until you know what other lenses you may like.
Mediocre high ISO and shit AF. If you're going to go full frame, get something else.
>>
>>3444380
no dr
>>
>>3444683
> >Full frame has twice as good low light performance as it has twice as large a sensor.
> Nope. Better? Sure. But nowhere near twice
35mm surface area is 2.3x greater than APS-C surface area. For the same level of tech you would expect at least 2.3x better high ISO (just over 1 stop). That said in many comparisons FF appears to be 2 full stops better. Depends on the sensors being compared.

> again, theoretically yes, but practically unnoticeable unless you view images at 500%
FF is sharper ooc and that's observable at common print sizes. Now, at low to mid ISOs you can just sharpen the crop image further. At high ISO sharpening makes the noise worse. I think ooc sharpness is part of what contributes to FF often showing a greater than expected advantage at high ISO.

> >Second hand full frame lenses adapt much better onto a ff sensor.
> thats pure lie because crop actually has advantage as it does not cover edges of lens which are the worst part.
Depends entirely on the lens. It's not always one way or the other. SOME lenses perform better on crop. Others on FF.
>>
>>3444358
>Buy a Mirrorless
>Only to use it like a point and Shoot

Don't buy the kit lens. It's trash.
>>
>>3444693
>With any camera system, you have to balance your aperture against the depth of field you need, and crop gives you an extra stop's worth of DoF. I.e., whereas I might need to shoot f/4 on full frame to get my subject in focus, I could shoot f/2.8 on crop for the same depth of field, so that balances out the ISO advantage of the full frame body. Now, granted, if you're shooting something where extreme shallow DoF is fine, full frame wins, but those situations are outliers.
You can theorize about situations like this, but in the real world the FF high ISO advantage is real. I jumped from crop to FF and I won't hesitate to shoot two stops higher than I used to. Even if I ran into a situation where I stopped down more, it still wouldn't negate the whole advantage.

>"Much more" meaning "one". Full frame can get one more stop's worth of bokeh than crop. f/0.95 on a crop sensor is still insanely, generally-unusably shallow depth of field. It's a little *more* shallow on full frame, but you rarely need DoF that shallow.
Where FF DoF really comes into play is with f/2.8 zooms. f/2.8 on crop at a wedding really isn't enough, but it's perfect on FF.

>>a cheaper lens will appear sharper
>When pixel peeping sure, but it's not really an issue in practice. Especially with most photos these days being posted at web resolutions, you'd never notice a difference between a full frame sensor and a crop. Even in a print, unless you're looking at it under a magnifying glass, you're unlikely to see a difference.
You'll see the difference if you don't sharpen the crop image. That's fine at low ISO, not so much at high.
>>
>>3444990
You have about 3 stops of shadow latitude. That's more than 99% of people will ever use. DR is an overrated meme.
>>
>>3444501
GH5 has lenses. NX1 does not.
>>
>>3444663
>unironically recommending the shittiest beginner camera
>>
>>3444956
Thank you, but I am looking for something less than 150$
>>
Why is the Minolta Hi-Matic 7sII so expensive compared to the first 7s?
I just wanted to upgrade but even if I sell my 7s i'll have to pay another $50 for the 7sII
>>
>>3444350
So I've definitely decided to go for a Canon, however I'm leaning more towards a smaller DSLR than the M50 now, particularly as I can borrow nicer lenses from my GF who owns a 5D.

I can get the SL2 with a kit lens for $450, or for $400 without- I feel like I might as well spend the extra $50 for the kit lens though so I can actually own at least one lens.

I have also found though that I can get a t7i or 77D body for around $500, which is tempting. These two cameras aren't that much bigger than the SL2, but they have some extra features, namely being 45 point AF instead of 9 on the SL2. My biggest question is would those two cameras enable me to take better action photos with the higher AF points?
>>
>>3445044
Used Sony Nex 5n.
>>
>>3445068
There are EF to EF-M adapters
And even for Sony E mount
>>
>>3445068
just get the m50
as other lad said just buy an adapter ffs. This will not only give you access to dslr lenses but also some good ones from their m range.
>>
>>3445055
being poor is a crime
>>
>>3444995
trust me its not a meme.
theres a lot of situations where even with d750 I have to do exp bracketing for increased dr.
>>
File: i09FJm4.jpg (177 KB, 1124x1024)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
are there any pancake lenses for current full frame mirrorless cameras?
i want a smallest possible camera + lens setup but with a big sensor.
>>
Is a 70-200 good as a first lens?

I'm debating it for versatility..
>>
>>3445089
Not unless you’re shooting 6x9 medium format. And not even then.

70-200 is telephoto to very telephoto. You’d have no wide or normal angle at all, and be limited to only shooting things several feet away from you. Shooting indoors under normal conditions (ie, not at a stage or in a stadium) will be impossible.

It’s a good second lens, to complement a wide-to-telephoto zoom or normal or wide prime. It’s not good as your first (ie, only) lens. If you meant “first lens [other than my kit lens]”, then yeah, it’s fine.
>>
>>3445084
Sony has a couple of 35mms (one first-Party, one cheap Samyang) that are pancakey. I don’t think anyone else does yet.
>>
>>3445084
>>3445092
Just looked it up on camerasize.com and it looks like the EOS RP plus EF adapter plus EF 40/2.8 pancake is pretty close to the size of the Sony plus 35/2.8. It’s a wee bit longer, but probably not a huge deal in practice.

Also, you can get adapters for Russian rangefinder pancakes for pretty much all of the mirrorless mounts.
>>
>>3445104
Seconding this, rp is size and weight king now. It's 100g lighter than anything else on the market.
>>
>>3445073
>>3445044
Or the original Canon M if you're tech savvy. Flash on Magic Lantern custom firmware and you've got a great camera with modern features for <$150.
>>
File: leica.jpg (90 KB, 872x738)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>28mm 1.7
holy shitballs this would be perfect travel cam if not a fucking 5k price tag.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
>>
>>3445133
$5000 is not that bad now that i think of it. Body like that costing between 2 to 3k and summilux lens for 2k, it doesnt sound as crazy.
>>
>>3445136
I like that Leica exist even though they're priced way out of the league of most people. They set the high standard for other camera makers and hopefully we get cheaper versions of the Q & Q2 sometime down the line. You need someone at the very high end putting out crazy good products for it to trickle down to the competition.
>>
>>3445084
What is the point of full frame if you are going to limit it with subpar optics? Seems like you care about size, so just go aps-c and get 90% of the iq for cheaper, and smaller size.
>>
>>3445133
I am quite surprised - in a very positive way. Didn't expect Leica to come out with almost 50MP, lens stabilization, 4K video, weather sealings etc.

And honestly, $5000 doesn't sound that bad for such a package. I certainly love the Q2 but it won't make me switch as I already own a perfectly running M9-P.
>>
>>3445133
47mp, It's means it's new S1R Panasonic sensor.
>>
File: leica2817.jpg (156 KB, 583x1239)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
>>3445218
>b-but leicas are soft and expensive
its a very solid performer for the fast compact lens like that

>>
>>3445133
This is probably the first digital leica i would actually buy
>>
>>3445290
Did you reply to the wrong post?
I was talking about pancake lenses, leica 28mm 1.7 is not pancake.
>>
>>3444988
>Lens resolution is a MTF curve where detail contrast is related to detail size.
Is this why Sigma 18-35 performs way better on crop bodies than even some L glass?
>>
>>3444388
>off-sensor PD
This is why some fanatics rush to return their lenses. They believe they're broken when they miss focus, while in LV they work perfectly fine
>>
>>3445302
My bad, i thought you were talking to leica poster
>>
>>3445082
I just wanted to upgrade.
Guess I'll keep using my 7s then, its a tank of a camera so it won't break any time soon.
>>
>>3445089
Not it's expensive
>>
>>3445328
Yes, details must be smaller on a smaller sensor.
In Sony system, easy way to tell if APS-C lens is sharp is to check it there is a version of the same lens for MFT. If it exists, it must be at least acceptable on the double crop, and therefore will be very sharp on APS-C.
>>
>>3445084
RX1 R series might fit in, has a fixed 35 prime lens tho.
>>
I'm going to be shooting a sports documentary on my university's lacrosse team. There's going to be talking head interviews and B-roll of them playing on the field against other teams, and some POV shots of me on the field running with them during practice.
I can rent out the equipment room's shitty rental camcorders, but I would be responsible for any damage. I'd rather buy my own camera and lenses. Since this will be my first ever purchase, would a Canon SL2/200D be a good buy? I want with good quality at a low price to spend on lenses, tripod, mic, etc. My only concern is that there’s no audio jack to monitor the sound as I record. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
>>
>>3445425
If you're already buying shit, then get an external monitor. You don't necessarily need a headphone jack on the camera. Used to be that everything cheaper than a smallHD Focus is shit, but skip that even. Pick up an atomos shinobi and you'll be able to monitor sound. Trust me and ignore Feelworld or any other cheapo brand. You won't be able to see shit ouside on a bright sunny day, even with a hood.

SL2 isn't very good for video. It's okay if Canon existed in a vaccum and you can live with upscaled 720p. Canon also has the shittiest preamps.

Aside from SL2, get yourself to a best buy/local camera store and check out Panasonic G85. Compare how they feel in hand whether or not it is acceptable to you.
You say you're going to be running with the lacrosse team and Panasonic's IBIS is pretty good. Not enough to replace a gimbal but better than nothing.
Fuji XT-100 also worth consideration, bigger sensor, not as good IBIS but probably the best compromise of the three.
Avoid Sony. Ergonomic nightmare for autistic tech bros unless you're getting an A7III (presumably outside your budget when you're talking about a SL2).
>>
>>3444589
You should take advantage of the weather sealing. Not sure which the smallest sealed lens is though.
>>
Why do some people unironically buy 1DX II (or similar cameras based around sports and action) for vlogging?
Is it because of the "bigger body = better quality" shilling by McKinnon & Co.?
>>
>>3445328
>>Lens resolution is a MTF curve where detail contrast is related to detail size.
>Is this why Sigma 18-35 performs way better on crop bodies than even some L glass?
That was a dumb response. Detail contrast is related to detail size on the Sigma 18-35 just like any other lens. This is an optical characteristic related to the laws of physics.

Different lenses have different MTF curves and yes, a lens designed for crop can have a higher MTF curve than one for FF. That doesn't change the basic fact that lens resolution is a MTF curve.
>>
>>3445083
>trust me its not a meme.
It is a meme.

>theres a lot of situations where even with d750 I have to do exp bracketing for increased dr.
And that's why it's a meme.
* Most scenes fit within the DR of either.
* Most of the remaining scenes require 2-3 exposures on any camera.
* A handful of the remaining scenes will fit within the DR of a Sony/Nikon sensor but not an older Canon Sensor. (5D4 and R have DR comparable to Sony.)

More importantly: most people who talk about DR have never maximized the DR of their camera. This is the thing that's infuriating. They parrot a DPReview review without understanding it.
>>
>>3445428
>SL2 isn't very good for video. It's okay if Canon existed in a vaccum and you can live with upscaled 720p.
The SL2 does 1080p60. If you don't need 4k it will work fine, especially considering the price.
>>
Quick question which may or may not be appropriate for this thread:

Do you recommend a shutter cable or a remote? I have a D750 if that matters. I was given a remote and it works fine and it's nice not having any risk of moving the camera outside of mirror slap, but I was about to take a picture today which would have been brilliant, and the battery stopped working and I missed the shot. Obviously the simple solution is to carry a spare battery, but since I didn't know about it until I missed my shot it wouldn't be much use.

I'd rather not have something hanging off the side of my camera as it obviously poses the risk of moving the camera if I let go, but do you think it's more reliable?
>>
>>3445511
You apparently haven't shot any high contrast scenes. DR in all cams is still too low to fully capture those, and you're down to hdr for them.
>>
Whats my chance to trade in an a7ii with a bunch of lenses for a 5d mk3? (Have a 24-70mm 3.5, 55mm 1.8, 35mm 2.8)

Would i miss anything sony?
>>
>>3445517
Cable all the way. I had an IR remote, but it fired only every 4th time or so.
>>
>>3445525
Thanks, yeah, mine has been inconsistent but today was the last straw. How do you deal with long exposures (if you do)?
>>
Help.

I have one V860II Sony + XPro trigger which is great.

There is currently a special on V860II C and N (all work with any mount version with TTL with another master flash or trigger) mounts for $177 AUD, and V850II (no TTL) for $137.

I want 2 more flashes (getting 2 strip boxes). Should I go with TTL in case I want multi ceiling bounce flash for indoor event wedding or something in the future or what? Or save money and get the V850II.
>>
I'm looking to get a light stand with a light modifier for taking portraits. Are there any good listings on aliexpress? Using a yongnuo flash
>>
>>3445542
What kind of lighting? That could either be a nice size Octa softbox like 90cm with grid or stripbox with grid.

They're cheaper on taobao (I use it direct they have a consolidation and forwarding service)
>>
File: brian_flowerpot-Edit.jpg (317 KB, 1398x932)
317 KB
317 KB JPG
>>3445545
im into one light portraits like this
could I have the taobao links? I have no idea what to put for search terms or what's good

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D Mark III
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.1.1 (Macintosh)
PhotographerGlyn Dewis
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.8
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015:08:16 16:24:42
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/16.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/16.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashFlash, Compulsory
Focal Length85.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>3445532
>How do you deal with long exposures
I don't usually use the remote, since my "long" exposures are rarely above 30 sec. I hit the 2 sec timer and that's it, though some fanatics say 2 sec is "not enough" so they use 10 sec. That's too long for me.
>>
>>3445549
You want a softbox with a grid to help focus the light but keep it soft. You'll want to place it as close as possible to your subject, so 90cm box should be 90cm or closer for softest results.

Think this is a quick folding type one, check the translation to make sure it's whole softbox

https://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?spm=a230r.1.14.37.25424a4c1MESIU&id=528675631642&ns=1&abbucket=13

They should all usually come with a Bowens/S type speed ring, then you want a speedlite S ring adapter, the new ones on there have a grip handle so can attach easily to a light stand or have someone hold them

I got a reversible folding light stand as well.

Going to bed now but you can find the same stuff on Ali too of course just will cost a bit more.

Advantage of taobao is the savings pays for fast shipping, their domestic shipping is rather fast the you get a tracked package usually ems if you select that services that arrives in days rather than 4-5 weeks.

Little bit of a pita to setup an account on taobao but they do accept direct CC/debit with CC payment like Ali does
>>
File: 1541225257541.jpg (79 KB, 640x640)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
THREADLY REMINDER
ALL GEARFAGS ARE WHORES WHO CIRCLEJERK AROUND THEIR GEAR ALL DAY AND GARGLE THEIR OWN CUM.
>>
>>3445549
This is the stand I bought recently for more portability

https://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?_u=83l8ugt9bd84&id=534191068492

You can weigh it down with a karabiner and backpack or if on natural ground use an ocky strap connected to a tent peg

If not into portability, a heavier/thicker stand is fine, probably still need to put a weight on it unless using a tripod as a stand

I got these S brackets
https://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.602a2e8dViMhRt&id=526879979754&_u=83l8ugt9cb5e

And this boom arm for overhead lighting

https://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.602a2e8dViMhRt&id=43980862044&_u=83l8ugt9e83d

Again you can get bigger heavier one.

If the prices are agreeable on Ali, it's probably easier to go that route though, if setting up a taobao account you have to enter your number in international format, you can google it if it gives you an error if you got the exact format it wants wrong. I think it's just like 614abcdefgh etc for Aus if the number was 04abcdefgh, can't remember if there's a + in front for the formatting
>>
>>3445567
>>3445572
I should point out the S ring speed light adapter applies to regular softboxes with the metal rods to set them up, the quick folding ones are umbrella type and may have an umbrella type mount inside them, check the product pics etc
>>
>>3445428
Thank you for the help, anon.
>>
>>3445567
>>3445572
>>3445575
thanks a lot. these are really helpful. i actually prefer shopping from taobao instead because it ships faster and it's cheaper so these links are a godsend
>>
>>3444354
Dual Pixel AF on the Canon is better than Sony.
>>
>>3445567
I just checked, the link is just for the grid. The 90cm softbox goes for 61 dollars
>>
>>3445570
Agreed.
>muh bokeh
>muh dynamic range
>muh full frame
>muh sony
>muh mirrorless
>muh iso invariance
>muh dxomark
>>
>>3445613
>dxomark is dead
>sony apparently as well
>fool frame is a fraud
>>
>>3444400

the finder magnification means the exact same thing as it does with SLR cameras. The M3's x0.91 Mag means that looking through the finder is 91% of the scale of the human eye. Close enough that you don't need to close an eye in order to use the camera.

Go for 0.72 finder if you wear glasses or want to use only 35 or wider.
>>
>>3445596
That price might be for the quick folding one.

The non quick fold should be cheaper.

Godox is 神牛 if you want to search that plus say 90cm

Selens and Meike make them too iirc.
>>
>>3445593
Search in Chinese, Google translate helps though may not always be the right search terms, if you find something that's right copy the title and chop up the words out of the title to search for others etc
>>
Will digital medium format ever become affordable?
>>
>>3445818
No. Even full frame is still too expensive for a slight boost it gives over APS-C.
We can talk if a brand new FF camera under $1000 is ever released.
>>
>>3445512
canon's video is line skipping garbage. don't do this to yourself. it's like punching yourself in the dick and wondering why it hurts
>>
>>3445840
>We can talk if a brand new FF camera under $1000 is ever released.
I think a $999.99 full frame camera is definitely possible but it would probably have to be a Canon camera with crippled features.
>>
I know very little of cameras, and figured this would be the best place to ask.
I've got one of those cameras with the big cylinder lenses, the kind which I would be tempted to call a DSLR. However, from what I could find online, the fact that the image in the viewfinder disappears when taking a picture means that I'm just seeing a reflection of the LCD display rather than exactly what the lens sees, meaning it's not a true DSLR.
But I can't find what the actual name for such a camera is. Is it just "digital camera"? I picture the pocket-sized ones when I hear that term.
>>
>>3445906
take a picture of it, or at least give us the brand and model
>>
>>3445907
Fujifilm Finepix S8350.
>>
>>3445908
its simply a digital camera with an SLR type body
it can still take decent pictures though
>>
>>3445906
It's bridge camera. Also called super zoom cams. Pretty much the same as pocket cameras, except that you've huge lens magnification.
>>
>>3445908
>>3445906
bridge camera
>>
>>3445917
>>3445918
Perfect, thank you.
>>
So after all /p/'s memery about "the one you have with you", I thought it might be a good idea to have a camera that I can take with me when I don't want to or can't take my big FX DSLR. I'd still want a decent sized sensor and a viewfinder, though. More importantly, it seems like a lot of the fixed-prime-lens small cameras assume you really like a 28mm-equivalent field of view. I don't, I'd much prefer 50mm-equivalent.

Fuji has some interesting stuff, but everything they make seems to be more money than I want to spend on this. Plus I'd have to deal with X-Trans. So I'm thinking my best option is a used a6000 with something like that Samyang 35/2.8 on it. Thoughts?
>>
TaoBao Links for things I've bought tor found useful
Godox = 神牛
Softbox = 柔光箱

Flashes:
V860ii
https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.4.3ca74adbQG9baJ&id=528360102069&cm_id=140105335569ed55e27b&abbucket=20

V850ii (V860ii with no TTL, but a bit cheaper)
https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.138.37f44ca792w5Uo&id=534514876537&ns=1&abbucket=20

TT685 (AA version of the V860ii - slower recycle, less flashes, similar price to V850ii)
https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.4.33321373XU8uZ3&id=534316792865&ns=1&abbucket=20

AD200 (the more expensive options just include a X1T or XPro trigger)
https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.6.7c2e6fe0EfsWln&id=545291553411&cm_id=140105335569ed55e27b&abbucket=20

UC18 USB charger (if for some reason you wanted a USB-C charger for your V860ii/V850ii batteries instead of the AC charger supplied)
https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.9.44d623e53wEjld&id=584691364154&cm_id=140105335569ed55e27b&abbucket=20&skuId=4125523935928

XPro Trigger Sony
https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a220m.1000858.1000725.17.2e645f5cEgNHzu&id=565214797523&areaId=441900&user_id=2711194415&cat_id=2&is_b=1&rn=7ef1102fae19ba86e3fc08c8ff742137
Softboxes
I always recommend a softbox where the outer diffusion layer sits inside a little in the velcro and not goes over the rim of the softbox so that you can use a grid - the grids are cheap and an amazing accessory

Meikie 35x160cm Strip Softbox with S type speedring
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a312a.7700846.0.0.29762e8daejAjY&id=19368799208&_u=93l8ugt9b289

Grid for Meikie 35x160cm Strip Softbox
https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=23383188492&spm=a312a.7700846.0.0.29762e8daejAjY&_u=93l8ugt9b1ec

Tripo 90cm Octagon Quick Fold Softbox (built in speedlite adapter, comes with handle too, 1kg)
https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.65.5ff522170LciKo&id=562837199155&ns=1&abbucket=20

1/2
>>
Grid for Tripo 90cm Octagon Quick Fold Softbox
https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=566431147042&spm=a220o.1000855.1998099587.3.62bd24a1k0Jmzw

Godox 120cm Octagon Softbox with Grid
https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.254.38c66851GSULMv&id=569892394231&ns=1&abbucket=20
Support:

Reversible light stand (collapses to 49cm, max height 180cm, 0.95kg)
https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=534191068492&spm=a312a.7700846.0.0.29762e8daejAjY&_u=93l8ugt9f923

Selens FL-240 Reversible Versatile Light stand (50cm collapse, max 240cm, 1.3kg, center part comes out and can be used as hand held extension or as a boom arm on another light stand with a clamp, also has a hook for attaching a bag/karabiner)
https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.23.3fd7387cYyc6af&id=543579539057&ns=1&abbucket=20

Portable boom arm with clamp for Lightstand (70-140cm)
https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=43980862044&spm=a312a.7700846.0.0.29762e8daejAjY&_u=93l8ugt989f5

S-type/Bowens to Speedlite adapter for light stands but also with hand grip for hand held usage
https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=526879979754&spm=a312a.7700846.0.0.29762e8daejAjY&_u=93l8ugt9b36d

Props:

Dark blue style with red stripes JK uniform
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a312a.7700846.0.0.29762e8daejAjY&id=562389821414&_u=93l8ugt9ceb8
>>
>>3445979
>>Dark blue style with red stripes JK uniform
post some photos, anon
>>
>>3445980
I haven't used that yet, I have it and a miko costume, but here is another jk uniform but a "sexy" one the model owned I shot with V860ii and 90cm godox grid softbox
>>
File: received_2638265549580145.jpg (117 KB, 1069x1600)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>3445980
>>3446000
Missing pic
>>
File: d5_d500_sensor1000.jpg (490 KB, 1000x517)
490 KB
490 KB JPG
I am starting to shoot more and more sports so I think I need to switch my D600 into a something better. The autofocus is just to slow, I have missed to many shots bnecause of the bad auto focus. It makes me furious when I had good framing, great timing and good exposure, but the focus missed because of the bad auto focus.

I am planning to buy a D850, D750 or D500.
Which one should I get?

How do people manage with the huge file sizes with D850, do people delete RAW file after edits?
What about D500, how bad is the crop sensor compared to D750, is it really disadvantage when every lense I would use is FF lens.

Equipment MakeOLYMPUS CORPORATION
Camera ModelPEN-F
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015.5 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Color Filter Array Pattern898
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)60 mm
Image Width4953
Image Height3302
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2017:06:26 09:56:37
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length30.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1000
Image Height517
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3446002
Get an A9 you fucking pleb.
>>
>>3446002
I added a new HDD to my computer just for photos when I switched from 24 to 36MP, the d500 is probably the best wildlife and sports camera thanks to its autofocus and it being APS-C though.
personally if I just were you and had the money I'd upgrade to the d850 and get a battery grip since I don't mind larger filesizes because storage is cheap.
I also just like using a full frame viewfinder to see what's around the frame and cropping in instead and the d850 reaches 9fps which is close to the d500.
>>3446005
>A9
>sports
it only has the tracking advantage, the act of focusing with the autofocus of mirrorless hasn't caught up to DSLRs yet which is the important bit when trying to focus on something fast moving. oh and the fucking viewfinders.
>>
>>3446001
thank you for this evenings fap material
>>
File: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (51 KB, 1000x1000)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
Is there such a thing as a 'universal' or 'adjustable diameter' lens collar?
I have some pretty heavy vintage lenses, and using them with a tripod is pretty bad with them pulling down so much.

Being a machinist I could make something, but I'd rather save myself the hassle.
>>
>>3446016
this might sound stupid but why don't you make a extendable mount for your camera body itself so you can shift the center of gravity forwards that way?
>>
>>3446022
That's a good idea actually, thanks!
>>
>>3446016
Theres a few sizes, I have one somewhere it fits a range of sizes, as it gets smaller/tighter the more you do the screw up, your other option is to wrap a slice of black foam around the lens where the collar is going to go if the lens is not fat enough,
>>
>>3446023
>>3446022
The lens will still put its force on the camera mount that way and touching/focusing the lens will still shake the camera a lot more, youre only centering the gravity for the tripod/tripod head.
>>
>>3445860
>with crippled features
The can remove video completely, for all I care.
>>
Anyone here used the Nikon 500PF? How would you rate it against an old second hand 500 f4 of similar pricepoint?
>>
>>3445978
>>3445979
really appreciate these alot
>>
Why is Tamron glass so much cheaper in Europe?

https://www.amazon.de/Tamron-70-200mm-digitales-Objektiv-Filtergewinde/dp/B0013DG08E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1552144555&sr=8-3&keywords=Tamron+70-200+f2.8

650 euros = 730 USD
>>
>>3446083
For the folding softbox I am looking at the Selens instead, 16 rods already sewn in/attached, and just unstick one side of the diffuser velcro and fold with it still inside for moving quickly.
>>
>>3445929
how much do you want to spend> Sony's 35 1.8 seems like a better fit. Roughly the same size and an extra stop of light.
Would a speedbooster + canon 40 work for you? you'd end up with a 44(1.1x crop) f2. Idk how close to 50 you're trying to get.

>>3446016
get a sturdier tripod with a longer quick release plate that can handle the weight of your desired camera/lens combo
>>
>>3446013
What will you do when storage get filled, delete all the RAW files, just replace the HDD or go with external?
How do people manage so huge files?
>>
>>3445929
There’s also big sigmus 30/1.4, little sigmus 30/2.8, and Zeiss 35/2.8 which is very much like that Samyang.
Anon above also mentioned Sony 35/1.8 that almost has a superpower - it’s stabilized. That’s just Sony E normal lenses, Fuji X and Canon M have nice native normal primes too.
>>
File: COTA-4015.jpg (1.96 MB, 2048x1152)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB JPG
I'm looking for used cameras for sports/action photography- which would be better between the Canon 7D and 70D?

PhotographerJustin Hunt
Horizontal Resolution150 dpi
Vertical Resolution150 dpi
>>
Would you rather have a Sony a6000 or Canon EOS M50?
>>
>>3446450
I would rather have one of them with me
>>
>>3446450
A6000 for the Sigma apsc 1.4 primes. M50 for the better UI and touch screen.
>>
>>3446029
Same here. I give zero fucks about video.
>>
>>3446446
70D beats the 7D mark 1 in most ways. As long as you don't need a camera body so strong you can hammer nails with it, and you can deal with a slightly smaller viewfinder and 7fps instead of 8fps, the 70D is an overall better camera.
>>
How is the canon 5ds for portrait, using natural lights?

My local store has one at about half of ebay prices.
>>
>>3446546
It's great. Pretty much any full frame DSLR is.
>>
>>3446548
Is it worth it over a mark iii, if they’re priced the same?

Looking at reviews from when it was released few seem to recommend it. But back then it was priced much higher.
>>
>>3446558
If they're priced the same, I think I'd prefer the Mark III--it goes up an extra stop of ISO and that's important to me and 50MP image files are far more than I need.

It's a personal decision, though. The 5DS is a little newer so has a few other little improvements besides the crazy high res sensor.
>>
In need of a laptop/tablet to edit on.
Can someone give me recs for anything (used) under $500?
>>
>>3446565
get yourself a t450s with an IPS panel for about 400$, alternatively install an IPS panel into it by yourself.
alternatively go to /g/ and ask there, the x2xxt series is a tablet as well which you might find really useful.
refurbished macbooks pros are also an option but they'll be weak and hard to get for $500, just don't get a macbook air if you do.
>>
okay, so i want to play around with the softness and various quirks of old school lenses. should i get into 35mm for full immersion, or should i just start adapting older lenses to fit my DSLR?
>>
>>3446599
Well full frame is great for that (and in general), buuut, you're going to need the lenses anyway right? And adapters are cheap.
>>
File: D0imSwkVYAEyqNB.jpg (89 KB, 1200x802)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
https://www.diyphotography.net/sigmas-l-mount-full-frame-foveon-camera-will-be-60-9-megapixels-but-its-not-coming-until-2020/

anyone excited about this? I know it will be overpriced af but they are ditching quattro design and supposedly moving back to original X3, also will probably release cheaper point to shoots some time later, I would pay good money just to have my dp2 merrill with improved and updated internals
>>
>>3446806
Yeah, it's pretty big. Up to now there were no news on what sensor it'll use. So there was some speculation they'll use new Panasonic sensors.
>>
File: 810Ri-gB5xL._SL1500_.jpg (111 KB, 1500x1153)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
I'm looking form some recommendations for what would be the most useful lens to buy. Sony E APS-C, about 500€ give or take.
I only have the kit-lens atm.

>Primes
I've looked at the obvious Sigmas, but I'm also interested in the Sony FE 50 1.8 and 85 1.8; all of these have different uses obviously, but they all seem so interesting. I also wanna get into astro, and the Samyang/Rokinon 12 2.0 seems great, but I don't have a lot of gear yet apart from a cheap, shoddy tripod.
>Zooms
Since I do travel quite a lot, I've also been looking at zooms, so I have a variety of focal lengths with me. Both the Sony 18-105 and 18-135 look interesting, but neither is really blowing me away (aperture and sharpness-wise, but that's a given with zooms in this price-range I guess)

I don't really do portraits (yet), I like landscape, I sort-of like street, I'm into macro and want to get into astro.

Maybe someone can recommend something useful, thanks!
>>
>>3446835
Foveon's sensors aren't made by Panasonic
>>
>>3445978
>>3445979
Taobao bro here, ordered the 2 x Godox V850ii from a seller (and a bunch of other shit) but warehouse rejected it due to embargo, applying for refund through seller atm.

Embargo on batteries, so nothing with batteries yeah lol.

For Aussies, eglobalcentralau has the V850 for $137 and the V860ii (Canon and Nikon only by the looks, but they will work with HSS and TTL on Sony or any other system through the XPro trigger anyway) for $186 or thereabouts in their clearance sale

So I ordered 2 x V850ii's through them
>>
>>3447165
If you dont mind manual focus... the Laowa 15mm 1:1 macro lens is intense. Still very wide on APS-C for landscapes, and shows a very close up subject with a landscape background instead of isolating it.

The Samyang AF 24/35 2.8's are good for travel because they are less than 100 grams each.
>>
I had a case of GAS and convinced myself I need the Sigma 56mm so I bought it and while it looks nice and all I didn't find it useful for taking photos in the city and I really prefer the 30mm in comparison to it. Should I return it? I wanted to start taking portraits of people but I don't know anyone.
>>
>>3446835
>>3446806
Yes, very.
It would only make sense if they use Foveon sensor though.
>>
>>3447247
Take pictures of random people on the street
>>
>>3447264
I live in Germany so this would get me sued desu

I want to keep the lens but at the same time I don't need it and could use the money for something else
>>
>>3445068
>namely being 45 point AF instead of 9 on the SL2. My biggest question is would those two cameras enable me to take better action photos with the higher AF points?
In some situations yes. But in any situation you have to know how to use a DSLR's AF to get the most out of it.
>>
>>3445856
>[citation needed]
>>
>>3446558
>Is it worth it over a mark iii, if they’re priced the same?
I got a 5Ds and would never go back. The IQ is phenomenal.

>Looking at reviews from when it was released few seem to recommend it.
I can't understand the reviews for the 5Ds. It's like reviewers were afraid of it or something. "Oh my 50mp we have to shoot this carefully or we might only get 49mp worth!!!" My thoughts on the reviews:

>reviews say it's a studio tripod camera
I handhold it all the time.

>reviews say it's not for sports
I love it for sports because of the extreme cropping that's possible when needed. The AF module is on par with the 1DX bodies btw. If I had one complaint for sports it would be the RAW buffer depth.

>reviews say that high ISO isn't very good
High ISO is fantastic. Sharp and still very detailed. It's a bit more "grainy" than lower resolution cameras, so you bump up the NR a notch and call it a day.

>reviews say you can only use the best and most expensive glass
I thought I would hate my 17-40L on it because of poor corner/edge performance on APS-C. I was shocked to find that the 17-40L did better on the 5Ds full frame than it did on APS-C cropping out the worst part of the lens. Higher rez sensors help glass. I still upgraded to the 16-35 f/4L IS for the IS, but I was shocked none the less.

>reviews said the DR was meh
Not Sony DR but better than 5D III.
>>
>>3444354
lmfao
Sony is shit
>>
>>3444234
Can anyone recommend a padded (and preferably waterproof) bag for my daily carry?

I have a Fuji xt3 and 3 lenses I carry with me, also 3 batteries.
>>
>>3447256
So basically, a huge wank with lower image quality and massive files.
>>
>>3444350
>$500
>Action photography

Consider a Canon 7D. Is it old? Yes. Does that matter? No.
>>
>>3445978
Thank you for great list and links. Ive filled a cart and if I can figure out how to pay and put my address in the fucking thing within the next 5 years I'll be golden. Ive looked at a couple of English guides and they say that you cant use a US credit card as you must enter a chinese civilian ID number for checkout, is this true?
>>
File: 300px-Nikon_D3100.jpg (13 KB, 300x225)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
> Be 2019
> Have D3100 with 35mm 1.8G, 55-300mm 4.5-5.6 VR and kit 18-55mm.
> Use only 35mm 1.8G
> shoot stils, mostly landscapes, like bokeh
> dont really care bout 4ks, sound, fps and other gimmicks
> decide i'd like a more up to date smaller body i could carry on my /out/ings
> nikon has nothing to offer
> figure when they do it will be a new mount anyways that will require an adapter and make things even bulkier (just like z-mount).

Given the only part of my kit i like is the 35mm im considering selling everything.
I think i can get ~500eu for all of my current gear, invest another 500 and get something portable like X-E3 with XF 23mm F/2 WR

Should i do it? Would i see any upgrade in image detail due to newer sensor?

https://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=nikon_d3100&products=fujifilm_xe3
>>
>>3447346
>Should i do it?
Just add prices of your desired lenses into account, and then decide.
>>
>>3447305
I use an Australian debit credit card and it's fine for me, but that's not U.S.

Also not batteries in devices as I've just found out lol

And see the hugging softbox I posted later on if you want something quick folding and cheaper
>>
File: sonysisg.png (111 KB, 600x361)
111 KB
111 KB PNG
Mother of god... the new 135 GM is a King among Kings.
>>
Are there any reviews out there for the Ricoh GR III yet? Can only find “hands-on” articles and videos.
>>
File: 1286043931535.jpg (98 KB, 497x501)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
Lensrentals had a secret prototype lens under NDA, and they describe it as being 'huge'
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2019/03/sony-fe-135mm-f1-8-gm-early-mtf-results/
>No lens we’ve ever tested has resolved 100 lp/mm this well at any aperture. One other lens was close, but I can’t tell you the name of it. We were under such strict nondisclosure that we never referred to it by name. It was just referred to as ‘the lens in question’ and was a huge prototype. But even that lens wasn’t quite this good at 100 lp/mm.
But it was overtaken by this 135 before it even got released.

Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width497
Image Height501
>>
>>3447289
Exactly, Leica/Sigma lenses and a sensor that captures all three color channels in every pixel will give it next level sharpness. Lenses don't lose color information, only resolution, it's the Bayer sensor (or worse, Fuji trans) that removes the detail from the image after it has been rendered. Filmfag tears are all about this.
This is also the reason why when you zoom on an image very close, you see a crop with plenty of pixels, but they all turn into a meaningless mess. Part of it is AA, but mostly it's because all color channels were undersampled and then interpolated back.
Sigma full frame is going to be the next big IQ wank.
>>
>>3447461
You can see that when you compare a good scan from a 4x5 camera and a high res digital sensor. The digital is as sharp or sharper, colour distinction is much better on the 4x5 though.
>>
File: canon80.png (1.54 MB, 1103x1290)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB PNG
>>3444234
Wanted to get into photography, did i make the right choice?
>>
>>3447471
if you go shoot with it.
>>
>>3447299
I dropped 500 bucks on a 7D with 6,000 shots on the shutter last year. High ISO images can be rough, but in general I really like the camera.
>>
>>3447461
Leica sensors? I don't know of any Leica camera that does this. Are you talking about their bw cameras? That thing is different, it's basically just regular sensor that's used for bayer/xtrans colour patterns configured so it only accepts light, no colour info. They're very sharp, but it's not Sigma's way.
>>
>>3447475
Not Leica, Foveon.
>>
>Sigma full frame is going to be the next big IQ wank.
no it isnt, foevon sensors are incredibly niche and only really useful at base iso.
>Exactly, Leica/Sigma lenses and a sensor that captures all three color channels in every pixel will give it next level sharpness.
leica use ccd sensors on some of their older cameras, they dont any more.
> Bayer sensor (or worse, Fuji trans)
x trans doesn't use aa filters so the detail & sharpness is pretty comparable with same quality/resolution bayer sensors.
>>
>>3447461
>>3447481
>>
>>3447471
Yes, it's even a bit of overkill for a beginner.
>>
>>3447471
Yes but make sure you have it with you.
>>
>>3447428
Got it. Thx for the list again, very appreciated.
>>
sonyggers beware
>>
File: sony-135.jpg (1.17 MB, 3000x2000)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB JPG
>>3447494
I'm not afraid of you! I got a new gun of my own.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2018 (Windows)
Image Width3000
Image Height2000
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2019:03:10 11:42:02
Image Width3000
Image Height2000
>>
>>3447495
whats going on here
>>
>>3447484
That's what i thought too, was going to get a rebel but decided mine as well get one that looks decent according to reviews
>>3447485
what do you mean anon
>>
>>3447499
Flared base; buttcam.
>>
>>3447499
They are in the middle of testing the sharpest lens they have so far>>3447459
>>
>>3447500
It's the most important piece of advice I've found on /p/ and no one told it to me directly, only imprinted as a meme. You can only use a camera if you have it with you.
>>
File: canon and slr.jpg (905 KB, 1800x1201)
905 KB
905 KB JPG
>>3447494
Power of Canon compels you!

>>
>>3447346
The x-e3 is a really nice camera, you'll definitely tell the difference. Newer sensor, which is the exact same sensor as my x-pro 2, and the x-t2. I previously owned a Nikon d3000 and bought an x-e1, which I loved. Being able to preview exposure in the evf was amazing. You were able to see the exact picture right before you take it.

For lenses, I've owned the fuji kit lens, 35mm f/2, I've owned 2 of the 23mm f/1.4 (which are my favorite lenses), and the 60mm f/2.4. Overall, I've enjoyed my Fuji camera, coming from a very annoying menu diving in my Nikon, to be able to change every setting without taking my eyes off the evf.
>>
>>3447504
Unfortunately, from the samples, it's looking to be another example of extremely sharp, but also extremely flat lenses. Contrast appears to be nonexisting.

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-7RM3
Camera SoftwareILCE-7RM3 v2.10
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)135 mm
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2019:02:26 11:31:11
White Point Chromaticity0.3
Exposure Time1/2000 sec
F-Numberf/1.8
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Brightness8.4 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length135.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width7952
Image Height5304
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3447544
Green on green seems to be a bad idea if you are looking for contrast.
Most of the bike isn't even in focus anyway.
>>
File: lil100.png (2 MB, 1387x1164)
2 MB
2 MB PNG
>>3447559
>>3447544
Metal parts that focus slices into look nice
>>
>>3447265
I want to collect the sigma trifecta but end up just using the 30 1.4 since I find it flexible with the lightweight kit lens. I find the 30 enough especially for indoor portrait shots and my distance to the subject. If you can't shoot randomly in public try joining one of those paid weekend photo groups that shoot model(s) in your area. Then decide if you still want to keep it.
>>
>>3447471
80D? Fuck yeah. As long as you shoot it and don't leave it sitting in a closet.
>>
Should I get the 50mm f/1.8 for the Z mount or wait for the HUUUGE 58mm f/0.95?
>>
>>3447635
Are you in the organ harvesting business? If not, just get the 1.8
>>
>>3447364
>>3447524
Thanks, triggered the x-e3 with XF 23mm F2 combo at 2am yesterday.
>>
What's a good cheap mirrorless camera? Preferrably $400 or less and Nikon.
>>
>>3447656
>Nikon
>good cheap mirrorless
Doesn't exist.
>>
>>3447278
Thanks for the reply. Interesting read. The store marked it up to a bit over. A thousand us d so i might pass on it. But still looking for any of the high tier older canons to try.
>>
>>3447658
How much would I be looking at?
>>
>>3447656
What, they literally just entered the market
>>
>>3447656
Mmmmostly doesn’t exist.
>>3447677
Basically, there are two cameras that fit the Norma definition of “Good Nikon mirrorless camera”—the z6 and the z7, and they’re both way above $400.

There’s the older Nikon 1 series, which hits the intersection of “Nikon”, “mirrorless”, “under $400”, but not “good”.

There are a bunch of DSLRs that hit “Nikon” and “good” but not “mirrorless”.

There are a bunch of mirrorless cameras that hit “good” and “mirrorless” but not Nikon and $400 is a stretch.

There is the Coolpix A, which hits Nikon, Good, (roughly) $400, and technically mirrorless, but it doesn’t have interchangeable lenses.

So which categories are you most willing to bend on?
>>
>>3447703
In what ways are the 1 series not good?
>>
File: xd.png (486 KB, 837x431)
486 KB
486 KB PNG
>>3447656
>>
>>3447710
1. Tiny sensor (1”, which is big by compact standards, but much smaller than most cameras with interchangeable lenses. The only mirrorless with a smaller sensor is the Pentax Q series)
2. Discontinued, so you’re buying into a dead system.
>>
>>3447459
Well sheeeit, looks like those sonyfags are going to make me $2k poorer.
>>
>>3447656
>>3447658
The Nikon 1 mirrorless series exists, it just isn't supported anymore. It's still better to just get a Nikon adapter and adapt the lenses onto a Sony/Canon M/Fuji.
>>
>>3447712
>>3447730
Are there ANY cheap good mirrorless regardless of brand?
>>
>>3447459
>>No lens we’ve ever tested has resolved 100 lp/mm this well at any aperture. One other lens was close, but I can’t tell you the name of it. We were under such strict nondisclosure that we never referred to it by name. It was just referred to as ‘the lens in question’ and was a huge prototype. But even that lens wasn’t quite this good at 100 lp/mm.

Ive resolved in excess of 150 lp/mm without issue with Adox CMS 20 and my Canon FD 28mm/2.8.

Great for seeing what a lens is capable of and how future proof it may be. Though with native FE lenses there is no way to use them on film like that afaik.

Not that it matters that much anyway.
>>
>>3447739
You can get older used Canon M and Sony E mount bodies pretty cheap. You might be able to find an older Fuji for that cheap, although getting a lens in under budget might be a stretch.
>>
>>3447459
Man, that 135/1.8 is going to make Sony users’ pictures of test charts look amazing.
>>
File: 91Ntq-RcDuL._SL1500_.jpg (193 KB, 1500x837)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
>>3447739
Buy used. Plenty of good Olympuses and Panasonics, you just need to look closely and don't buy old entry models. Here's a smart tip if you'd like to make a smart investement. Olympus ep-5, they can go as low as 300-200 because people selling them quickly look up epl-5 prices. It's in fact completely different model. With better controls, build and better ibis. It's direct predecessor in pen-f, and not epl series.
>>
>>3447559
>>3447560
green bokeh is exacly where you look for microcontrast, and it is poor. No wonder they weren't allowed to put Zeiss sticker on the lens.

Not a big issue for the system really, that other 135mm that they have has pretty good contrast. Morons and gearfags will buy this one, smart ones will go for sonyzeiss. It's just a bit pointless lens really. Bit faster, but at that focal length you really don't need anything as fast, and sharpness is equally irrelevant for bust to face portraits, since everyone is photoshoping everything away in the end.
>>
>>3447766
*successor
>>
>>3447750
>No lens we’ve ever tested has resolved 100 lp/mm this well
>this well
They're not saying other lenses can't do 100 lp/mm, but the lens they tested probably does it at a higher contrast.

I have a hard time believing the Sony could be that much better than the Sigma Art though.
>>
>>3447760
I love 135mm, it's actually the perfect Focal Length doe when shooting from a bus.
>>
>>3447810
I think the arguments that I see most is how the Sigma and Sony have similar if not exactly the same IQ but the Sony wins it on ergonomics and features (instant AF, buttons, declicks etc etc).
I don't see how either are for consumers to begin with those, but maybe that's just me.
>>
>Nex-5 w kit lens 180$
>Lumix G5+Olympus 14-42 f/3.5-5.6 II R 250$
>Canon 600d w kit lens 250$
>GH3 w camera bag, kit and prime lens 375$

Help me decide guys. RN I'm using a 5MP Canon pns for stills, and my sony handicam for video. My all around budget is about 680$.
Should I get any of these, or wait until I get better? This would be my first dslr/milc.
>>
File: ergonomics.png (653 KB, 700x544)
653 KB
653 KB PNG
JUST FUCK MY FINGERS UP
>>
>>3447889
That one looks fine to me. You need fatter fingers than that to make it an issue.
>>
>>3444234
you look like a retard the way youre holding that
>>
>>3447903
that is a tiny asian hand
>>
>>3447888
Which lenses with gh3?
>>
>>3447908
I-I don't know anon, he ones that came with it I suppose?
>>
>>3447766
I'm seeing a bunch of these in the $200-300 range. Would it be a good first serious camera for somebody who has spent awhile shooting on a cell phone?
>>
>>3447913
It's pretty old high end model. They tend to sell without lenses.
>>
>>3447915
Good cams. Minus is that they're lacking viewfinder. Just back lcd, so I'd probably rather go with first em-5 and em-10 as first cam. If you can find them for that price. No point going over 300 for that generation of cams.
>>
>>3447918
I agree, it's not going to feel as different as phone shooting just looking at a back LCD. Anything without a vf just feels so SOULLESS
>>
>>3447917
Yeah you're right. From a real close look at the pics in the ad, I could figure out one was some Takumar zoom lens, the other one a wide angle of some sort I think. I'll have to ask the seller.
I have to add though, 680$ isn't my camera budget, it's basically all I have on me now, lol.
>>
>>3447810
Doing at high contrast is more important for film, as you'll see a chart on film the peaks of resolution fall off into just barely visible contrast while on digital it stays at very clear good contrast.

Doing it at f/1.8 is very good and probably means the lens can hit 200+
>>
Has anyone used those cheap chink LCD viewfinders on ebay? Are they any good?
>>
>>3447739
Sony A5100 is lightweight and cheap and has a successor iirc.

For Nikon the Z1 is coming? Full frame and you gonna need pricey lenses.
>>
File: DSC06190.jpg (581 KB, 4912x2760)
581 KB
581 KB JPG
>>3447739
I started out with a Sony Nex 5n. The body is dirt cheap used on ebay and you can then buy adapters to put dirt cheap manual focus lenses onto it. Or it comes with the 18-55 which is a nice kit lens (see pic related). Sony Nex is what the A6000 series was called before a rebranding so all those lenses will carry forward if you upgrade the body later.

Another alternative is the original Canon M. You can flash custom firmware onto it called Magic Lantern which add some modern features. You can't go wrong either way.

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelNEX-5N
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.0 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.5
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)61 mm
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2017:05:13 17:35:37
Exposure Time1/25 sec
F-Numberf/4.5
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/4.5
Brightness0.7 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceCloudy Weather
Focal Length41.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
ContrastSoft
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
Am I silly for wanting the Olympus 14-35mm F2 for my GH2 for stills and video? I mainly shoot portraits and street.
>>
>>3447817
Yeah a short bus
>>
>>3447889
"Please make my camera bigger!" - Absolutely no one.
>>
>>3447962
Or just move the mount a little, or make the grip a little thinner or angled?
Why are sony brandfags incapable of wanting to improve their beloved products? Just like how battery didn't matter until the new cameras got an upgraded battery and then suddenly anything with a cipa rating under 500 is unusable.
>>
What camera should I get if I want to get into landscape and astro photography? I would like to try out a mirrorless since DSRLs are a bit bulky for my taste and so I could comfortably use the camera If I need it for things other than landscape photog. A camera that would be suitable for light travel and such.I have around $500, maybe 600 to spend. Any suggestions?
>>
>>3448032
Do you already have a lens or telescope or whatever you want to use?

A5100 is inexpensive for APS-C, and 283 grams without lens attached.
>>
>>3448033
Well to think about it I do have a huge 300mm lens lying somewhere and I would like to make use of it someday but it's full metal 2kg monster and I'm thinking more about getting a wide angle something like 18 or 24mm for milky way shots and landscapes.
Also wouldn't aps-c be noticeably worse than full frame for astro because of its lso performance?
>>
>>3448038
It's difficult to get FF at the price point you asked.
>>
The current good stills/video lenses for m43?
>>
>>3448045
As in the one lens is used for both.
>>
>>3448038
APS-C is pretty good these days, Ive done some stuff on my A7s pushing it to the limits.

But you'll need to spend more for FF.

Also you will want a good filter for telephoto like that. I used an optolong UHC filter on the front of the lens, you can get clip in filters for Sony E/FE now behind the lens which is better.

Also at 300mm you will want a tracking unit, so you can make longer exposures without stars/nebula moving.

I used a nano.tracker (AA powered) with my A7s and a 135mm.

The tracking accuracy will be dependent on how good your alignment is, and somewhat the unit itself.

Less good tracking = shorter exposures, but still way longer than fixed tripod, meaning you can use high ISO and stack a lot of images.

APS-C might get more detail out of that lens too with more stacked images to counteract noise, due to pixel density giving it a longer effective reach.
>>
>>3447962
virgin mirrorless shooter
>eats onions products
>sits on computer all day
>camera is too big
>buys smallest glass
>can't carry camera for more than 30m

chad DSLR shooter
>eats home cooked meats
>goes to the gym regularly and lifts
>can handle the largest pro bodies
>buys the largest, fastest, sharpest lenses
>can hand hold 1/15th without IS even after a long day of shooting
>>
>>3448091
I've unironically thought of something like this. How the fuck do you guys handle looking down a tiny ass lcd screen all day long?
>>
>>3448093
It’s not significantly different than looking down a tiny ass viewfinder all day.

Except that you can’t do it all day because it’ll run your battery into the ground.
>>
>>3448110
I've meant EVFs by 'tiny ass lcd'.
Btw can you just turn off an EVF? I haven't owned a MILC and battery usage does worry me.
>>
upgrade for a D90? i guess staying with crop sensor because of my lenses. i don't want to spend a lot (under 1000) so not sure if its even worth upgrading yet.
>>
Trying to get into photography, I have no idea where to start. Any advice?

I found a Nikon D5600 with two lenses for $500 on craigs, any suggestions?
>>
>>3448155
Yes, EVF can either be turned off completely, or you can just take your eye away from it and have it go dark, there’s a sensor.
>>
>>3448281
BTW, that doesn’t really solve battery life problems, even without EVF the sensor is powered, for preview on bigger LCD, focusing, and metering.
>>
>>3448276
what lenses. a prime is a good idea. body is fine for starting.
>>
>>3448291
70-300mm lens and a 18-55mm vr kit lens
>>
>>3448282
My A7s came with 2 batteries, not sure about the others, but I picked up a third third party battery and it works well. Extra batteries are a thing.
>>
>>3448338
What do you want to shoot? 18-55mm VR is sharp enough for landscapes etc iirc.
>>
>>3448338
the body is fine i just think a prime is better for learning instead of relying on being able to zoom
>>
File: 45.png (242 KB, 650x650)
242 KB
242 KB PNG
I just wanted to know if there is a cheap manual alternative to the mft m. Zuiko 45mm 1.2f pro lens.
I already have the 12-100 f4 pro and want a dedicated prime portrait lens that wont break my bank.

If my only option is to use an adapter, that's fine too.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>3447783
You're supposed to use a red bike if you want contrast you moron.

Green on green is the opposite of contrast.
>>
>>3448093
How can you handle looking down at a tiny ass viewfinder without a CCD's sensitivity from dusk until dawn that makes an EVF so much nicer to use?

Using a LCD is no problem.
>>
I fell for the lighting meme and bought an AD200 (even though I'm mainly a street photographer). What is the most lightweight, portable lighting accessory setup I could buy to make the most of it?
Note that I only carry a backpack and I do have a gf to work as my lighting assistant (though I'd prefer to keep her workload minimal)
>>
>>3447524
I've had the xe3 for a year now. Paired with the xf27 it's the best walkabout option I could want. I will say that I think the xe2 might actually be a better option just because I've been getting increasingly annoyed with the little tiny evf on the xe3.
>>
So, who's gonna make a new thread? I can't come up with an edition
>>
>>3449160
>I can't come up with an edition
I got something. give me a second.
>>
>>3449160
New thread
>>3449164
>>3449164
>>3449164
>>
What camera is better to film video, the Canon 70D or the 7D Mark II?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.