[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Photo1.png (431 KB, 1024x539)
431 KB
431 KB PNG
Is there any photo app that can replicate this?
>>
>>3431501
fag
>>
>>3431502
not found on appstore, fag
>>
>>3431501
not an app but it might help
http://faces.cs.princeton.edu/
>>
>>3431508
this is pretty cool, yeah.
>>
>>3431501
You can simulate the effect with Lightroom profile corrections. Just add distortion in your preerred lens profile instead of correcting it.
>>
>>3431909
it's not barrel distortion, it's perspective distortion. Technically NOT possible to recreate.

For example: You can't tell on this girl because her hair is hiding her ears, but... a person's ears will disappear behind the edges of their face when photographed close. When photographed long lens, their ears will be visible.
>>
File: sanyo_flatface.jpg (159 KB, 1200x798)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
>>3431501
tfw you bring your 5000mm lens for the portrait shoot and the face ends up being flat as a pancake.
>>
>>3431913
As long as your original image was shot at a high focal length it's not too hard to edit the image into a shorter one.
>>
>>3431501
200mm is better than 85mm, prove me wrong.

>but 90mm is the golden spot
No it isn't, 200mm is best.
>>
>>3432781
>As long as your original image was shot at a high focal length it's not too hard to edit the image into a shorter one.
Prove it, because I'm like 85% sure that you're talking out of your ass.
>>
>>3432812
No need. He is right.
>>
>>3431501
Yeah, it's called holding the phone further away
>>
>>3432823
Prove it, because I’m like 90% sure that you’re talking out of your ass.
>>
>>3432811
From a practical standpoint, when using an 85, you don’t have to shout at your model.
>>
>>3431939
how long is the diameter of the front element?
1km?
>>
Yes. Just step further away and use digital zoom. Yes, you lose resolution, but the focal length equivalency goes up as you zoom, showing different perspective.
>>
>>3432811

135mm is and always will be the ideal portrait length on 35mm.
>>
>>3432964
I thought it was a ripoff focal length for casuals to sell lenses.
>>
>>3432967
The Nikkor 135mm f/2 DC is great, doesn't autofocus with a Z though...
(to be honest it would mostly be used with manual focus anyway)
>>
>>3431501
this is the dumbest fucking image on this board

nice b8 tho
>>
>>3432811
I thought the whole face distortion had to do with aperture size, not necessarily the focal length.
>>
>>3433369
no, aperture is the blurriness or bokeh surrounding the subject/object.

f/12 - everything in focus kind of
f/5.6 - somewhat blurry with some detail in background
f/1.4 - almost no detail in foreground and background

pic related, took this last month and shot at f/5.6 to get some detail in the background while keeping the focus on the object/rock

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX100F
Camera SoftwareDigital Camera X100F Ver2.11
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2019:01:27 11:37:25
Exposure Time21052/21051999 sec
F-Numberf/3.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/3.6
Brightness10.2 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length23.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width6114
Image Height4002
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessHard
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>3433373
>>3433369

forgive me, aperture was 3.6 according to the metadata. I took many photos of this here rock with varying apertures
>>
File: DSC06734-01.jpg (2.16 MB, 1920x1280)
2.16 MB
2.16 MB JPG
>>3433375
Bokeh/depth of field I understand well enough, but I thought it might also have something to do with distortion.

So is there any point to using my kit 16-50mm lens then?
Do I just stand much further back, use the 55-210mm and zoom in a bit?

Seems a little unorthodox. Are there any lenses that get you a much less distorted effect at a smaller focal range, say 30-40mm? My 55-210 has f/5.6 as a minimum which still kiiinda sucks on days without adequate sunny weather.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-6000
Camera SoftwareSnapseed 2.0
Maximum Lens Aperturef/6.3
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)252 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2019:01:28 15:08:34
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/6.3
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating3200
Brightness2.2 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length168.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1920
Image Height1280
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
fyi distortion comes from the distance between the subject and the lens, the closer the more distorted
focal length inherently is unrelated
but obviously if you take a photo of someone with a 28mm from 15m to avoid distortion, their head will be tiny and it won't be a portrait photo
so portrait photogs usually use a 85mm and above to get more distance while still filling the frame with their subject
>>
>>3433398
>>3433436
oh forgot to mentionn,
if you care that much about distortion, zoom your kit to 50 and stand further away to shoot your subject
there's a reason the 50 is called nifty fifty and often comes with bodies
the op image is a stupid bait. clickbait article tier, because it doesn't mention how far from the subject the camera was
if they're were all shot from 20 meters, then cropped so that the face fills the same image area size, then they will all look the same
>>
>>3433398
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG-vPzrEONM

watch this for a pretty detailed explanation
>>
>>3431501
going from wide to narrow, any photo app that can crop should work. Just stand further away and crop to a 200mm FOV.
>>
>>3433398
you may be confusing perspective distortion with barrel distortion.

Perspective distortion is not truly caused by the lens, it is determined by the distance between the camera and the subject. Even with your own eyes, you can see this distortion if you get up close. Look at yourself in the mirror using only one eye, then put your face right up close to the mirror. You will see perspective distort your face as you get closer.

Barrel distortion/pincushion distortion are absolutely caused by the lens, you can avoid them by using good primes or by keeping your zooms in their "sweet spot," usually somewhere in the middle of their zoom range.
>>
>>3433440

It's not really clickbait if like you say; cropping is stupidly impractical.

It's pretty much saying use the longest lens your studio lets you for the framing you need. 3/4+ times that's correct.
>>
>>3433440
>if you care that much about distortion, zoom your kit to 50 and stand further away to shoot your subject
>there's a reason the 50 is called nifty fifty and often comes with bodies
...but it's not that, because 50mm on an 18-55 crop lens won't give you the same perspective distortion as 50mm on a full frame or film body.

> the op image is a stupid bait. clickbait article tier, because it doesn't mention how far from the subject the camera was
Presumably they were all shot at the distance that let the photographer fill the frame with the model's head, since that's the only thing that would make sense. And also, that's the only way you'd get the results in the image. I'm honestly having trouble comprehending how you could think it was anything else.
>>
>>3432824
/thread

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.