[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 24 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

All work safe boards are now on the 4channel.org domain. Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

There's now a setting option under Navigation to display the full list of boards on 4channel.org

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

File: flat-curve-tutorial.jpg (458 KB, 1967x1295)
458 KB
458 KB JPG
It's been a while since I contributed techniques on /p, so here's a new quality method for controlling contrast in your photography. I've written the instructions on this image so it's easier to save for future reference.

If anyone else has any Photoshop secrets up their sleeve, feel free to add to this thread. As always, if you spot a flaw in my instruction or know a better way to achieve the same thing, please let me know.
>>
First one looks better. Far more natural. Also,
>those nuclear explosion highlights
>>
>>3418998
Talentless faggot.
>>
>>3419001
Yeah. I have never filtered a trip before, but this one is so blatantly useless and wrong I'm just gonna do it.
>>
>>3419000
Appreciate the feedback. Looks like I chose a poor image to demonstrate on.

>>3419001
I'm definitely one of those two.
>>
File: flat-curve-take-2.jpg (189 KB, 623x1037)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
Here's a better demonstration image. I shouldn't have gone with an already-perfect stock image. I like this method because it's a great way to enrich the contrast of the midtones without blowing out highlights or crushing shadows. Because you control it with a curve, there's much more control than a contrast slider, filter, or preset. Once you record an action to setup the layers, it's as easy as manipulating the curve.

If it's not something you're interested in incorporating into your workflow, apologies for wasting your time. I'm always interested in simpler methods to achieve similar results, so let me know if there's a better way to do this.
>>
Having just tried it, I kind of like it. I've always wanted finer control of curves though.
>>
>>3418998
is it you PiXimperfect???!!1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfrerC80h84
>>
heyo it's the only trip i respect
>>
>>3419025
Your respect is worth literally nothing.
>>
>>3419053
mad
>>
>>3419058
>gets his ps training from someone on 4cha who clearly isn't very good
You're the mad one here, in the truest sense of the word.
>>
>>3419020

Yeah, I just saw this technique somewhere else. It was piximperfect. It's an interesting idea
>>
>>3419060
>interesting idea
The software is literally engineered to do that.
>>
>>3419010

The fuck are you doing, she looks like a model for lil bits (pic related) and you just turned her into a fucking panda with a pink face on a yellow body.

What a fucking joker.
>>
>>3419075
pic
>>
I prefer the unedited one.
>>
>>3419010
>better demonstration image
good job at crushing the black lingerie into smithereens. same with >>3418998 and the background. this is not flat at all you dumbass.
>>
>>3419002
>filtering Photoshop®
wow it's like you want to make sure your time here sucks
>>
>>3419150
There seems to be a few bitter individuals lurking around, always the same, always appearing for the same kind of threads. Grudges are hard to die.
>>
>>3419151
>grudges
Recognizing bad advice isn't holding a grudge, retard. This "polished, professional" result looks like HDR and clarity slider had a baby.
>>
File: not-crushed.jpg (59 KB, 325x503)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>3419091
Is your monitor calibrated and do you use chrome as a browser? (Firefox displays images properly) The reason I say this is because my monitor is regularly calibrated and I see plenty of detail in the lingerie, so there's something wrong display-wise on your end. I wanted to make sure the problem wasn't mine, so I brought the jpeg back into Photoshop and made the detail more obvious with a curve, so clearly you're mistaken on "crushing the black lingerie into smithereens." Attaching receipts.

>>3419060
Yeah, that's where I saw this. I've watched tons of his stuff but more often than not I prefer my method. This technique happened to catch my eye and after experimenting with it I thought it was decent enough to share with the board, I should have credited piximperfect. I also like his color dodge/color burn hue saturation adjustment layers for adding color depth. Been experimenting with that lately.

>>3419061
Just because it's the software happens to allow it to happen doesn't mean it's something that one would find out unless they're really digging in to do some experimenting with the program. I don't really see what the correlation is between it being an interesting idea and the software being engineered to allow it is. Really it just shows what an incredible program it is where users are able to discover new ways to approach editing. I fucking love Adobe programmers.

>>3419075
>>3419194
>>3419079
Appreciate the feedback. Not being sarcastic. It's good to know clients may have this reaction to this method. I'll get some professional critiques and see if they see it similarly. I encourage ripping my advice to shreds if you find it offensive. Much rather that then people silently hate it, and me being unaware of the reactions it potentially elicits. That's one of the things I love about /p - the brutal honesty.
>>
>>3418998
Hey OP, your edits look like too much for me. On the other hand I used your tutorial to reduce the contrast with a reverse s instead of increasing it. Seems to work fine and I like the results, so thank you for posting.
>>
>>3418998
A fucking tripfag called photoshop giving terrible photoshop advice....nice
>>
File: +50whites.jpg (225 KB, 512x935)
225 KB
225 KB JPG
>>3418998
I'd swear that you morons don't even know what blown highlights are... First example works perfectly. There are no blown highlights, nor anything else. In fact, if this was being done for the print, you'd push whites even further till they are clipping at places.
Anyway good tutorial, good edits. I wouldn't bother arguing with people being blind, stupid, and on poorly calibrated monitors.
Pic is above edit with +50 whites, and clipping warning on, there is nothing between the shots, a clear tell that you've a good edit.
>>
>>3419020
how can a guy so meticulously groom his facial hair except for his unibrow? it this some pajeet beauty ideal i'm not aware of?
>>
Did a quick comparison for a landscape shot since you get similar results as clarity slider in Craw. It's certainly not the same, gives you slightly different results with more contrasty whites and blacks, and since it's done on curve, it obviously gives you more control.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2019 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width7641
Image Height3271
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2019:01:12 19:58:49
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width4530
Image Height5824
>>
>>3418998
interesting
>>
The seething newfags in this thread give me life.
>>
Nobody runs to a trip's defense like this, lol. Stop samefagging OP.
>>
>>3419460
actually people do because he's a good poster, unlike all these whining shits attacking somebody for posting a technique they don't like the look of. you just find it hard to believe because nobody would ever think to defend posts like yours
>>
>>3419485
>copy / pasting photoshop basics that a simple google search could teach you makes you a good poster
wewlad
>>
>>3418998
Good tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfrerC80h84
>>
>>3419515
lol Photoshop is actually Piximperfect
>>
>>3419497
>discarding techniques based on samples, and accusing anons of bumping the thread
Now that's some next level stupidity.
If you think further explaining the technique, as opposed of attacking it on groundless basis, is samefagig, then you are deluded. It's a good, well presented thread. I've personally never heard of it, or if I have, it's completely slipped my mind, and I'm considering myself experienced in ps. I'll get similar result using different techniques, but any tinny thing can improve ones workflow, and if nothing else, this one is teaching newbs a thing or two. If you think you've anything more advanced to add, go and do it.
>>
>>3419517
>lol Photoshop is actually Piximperfect
pomplepomfert
>>
>>3419515
>>3419517

>>3419020
>>
File: real-retouching.jpg (195 KB, 705x809)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
>>3421100
>>3421097
>>3419517
No, I'm dual-browed. I did learn this method from his video though. Sorry again for not crediting where I learned this. Piximperfect really deserves credit for all the free instruction he puts out there. I'd go crazy if I did it like he does, every video explaining everything for a total beginner. I don't know how many times I've heard him explain masking. It's great that he does this, makes this stuff much more accessible. It does force me to watch his stuff on 2x speed though.

Also there's one more interesting Piximerfect technique I'd like to get the boards opinion of, but I'm still experimenting with it.

While I'm sharing stuff, here's a very high quality book on how to retouch skin- this is considered the "high-end" method. Advertisements, movie posters, magazine covers - that kind of retouching. Carrie Bean is an experienced, respected retoucher in the industry. She wrote a book where she explains all her techniques. There is huge amounts of useful information in this ebook. If you master all the techniques here, you will be an editing powerhouses.

The last time I tried to share this it was deleted within the day. This time I've zipped it and password locked the zip file.

PASSWORD: 4chan
https://www.mediafire.com/file/d9q48suxcumkk6v/CB_RT.zip/file

Let's see if it last on mediafire servers longer with a password.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC (Windows)
Image Created2017-10-29T13:46:17-07:00
FlashNo Flash Function
Image Width705
Image Height809
>>
>>3421109
That example is fucking gross.

Just watch shoe, he's better than that and better than you.
>>
>>3421109
Thanks for the book.

>>3421167
Who the fuck is shoe and why should I care about him? OP might have questionable taste but his knowledge of photoshop is good and there aren’t other people sharing knowledge on this board, except the teases of Anon Adams. If you think you know the program better post your own thread, otherwise stfu.
>>
>>3421206
>who is shoe

Lmfao, spot the newfag.

He's an oldfag that left and is a professional fashion and medical photographer, offered lots of lessons and even has a livestream he's on most days helping people out.

>his knowledge of ps is good

Lol, no. What is dunning kruger syndrome.
>>
>>3421167
lol I don't know why her book ended up with those cheesy cover images. Makes it look like it's a book on how to airbrush glamour shots from the 90s. Even so, the instruction inside is comprehensive, vital (if you want to be doing higher level editing), and explained clearly. Don't judge a book by its gaudy cover.

Actually 5hoe and I got along fine back in the olden days. He had me work on a few of his beautiful images (I don't know what he does to get the models to pose so well), I believe I even demonstrated on one of his images during a livestream where he participated by answering questions in the chat. I approve of his workflow, and he's got such a great aesthetic. Does he contribute here anymore?
>>
>>3421206
Anon Adams haha. I delivered a guide now.
>>
>>3421219
>He's an oldfag that left
Why should I care about him then? I come to 4chan and he’s not posting here anymore. Photoshop(r) is. Again, if you think you’re that knowledgeable post your own goddamn thread and contribute something, otherwise stop being a massive faggot.
>>
>>3421219
>>his knowledge of ps is good
>Lol, no
>Actually 5hoe and I got along fine back in the olden days. He had me work on a few of his beautiful images, I believe I even demonstrated on one of his images during a livestream where he participated by answering questions in the chat.

Lmfao, spot the newfag.
>>
>>3421349
Show me one decent shot ps has posted...
>>
>>3418998

My nigga back and layin the smack down
>>
>>3421696

Protoshop post the chick you livestreamed with the spikes on her back and shit, that was fucking cool
>>
>>3421221
Is there a zip of your old tutorials somewhere?
>>
>>3421696
Decent, I wouldn’t know. Better than yours, just look at any image he ever posted. Main reason being, yours do not exist.
>>
File: kissflare.jpg (202 KB, 600x973)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
>>3421696
>>3421696
If you mean you want to see my photography, here's one of my best. Nothing jaw-dropping, I'm sure most people on this board could do a lot better.

I'm just a hobbyist when it comes to photography. Being a retoucher is what pays the bills. I mostly work on ads. Occasionally I work with photographers on fashion or beauty, but mostly magazine ads.

Camera SoftwareGoogle
Image Width600
Image Height973
>>
File: umagif.gif (639 KB, 486x640)
639 KB
639 KB GIF
If you meant retouching, here's a few examples of the kind of stuff people hire me to do.
>>
File: digital-steam.gif (365 KB, 423x600)
365 KB
365 KB GIF
>>
File: acneasiangif.gif (1022 KB, 477x716)
1022 KB
1022 KB GIF
>>
File: Kamigif.gif (862 KB, 379x761)
862 KB
862 KB GIF
>>
File: Gucci_imitation.jpg (197 KB, 780x952)
197 KB
197 KB JPG
Sometimes they want to get a color grading or mood they show me in a reference image.

I get asked about this one a lot. This was done over a decade ago - so sorry but I don't remember exactly what I did and can't find the psd. I'm pretty sure involved 10x the adjustment layers that the original retoucher probably used.

Camera SoftwareGoogle
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Image Width780
Image Height952
>>
File: tealpaintinggif.gif (678 KB, 450x683)
678 KB
678 KB GIF
But my favorite is when I get to work on movie posters. With this kind of image treatment there's so much more freedom to go for a painterly, illustrative result. Wish I could work exclusively on movie posters.

Feedback always welcome for anything I post here.

>>3421700
Sorry not that I know of. There's just my old blog I used to upload tutorials, experiments, and other stuff from the board. I already linked it once - last time I linked it twice I got banned.

It's at the end of this post >>3418842

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.