[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/p/ - Photography


Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 44 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]


All work safe boards are now on the 4channel.org domain. Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

There's now a setting option under Navigation to display the full list of boards on 4channel.org

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!




File: IMG_20180403_153851_849.jpg (323 KB, 1080x1080)
323 KB
323 KB JPG
Hi /p/, why does the creative industry use Macs for creating content? Is there something special about the specs of a MBP that a similarly priced laptop can't do? I know some programs are Mac OS only, but both Mac/windows have Lightroom/Photoshop.
>>
better overall UI, no problems with hard drives swelling to capacity with cache data, etc
>>
>>3414814
I work with both mac and PC. At home I've got a 2011 mbps, ssd, and only 8gb ram. At work I use a PC, pretty built workstation overall. For photoshop purposes, there's essentially no difference in performance between the two in terms of speed or heavy effects. But I have noticed that the mac OS tends to be more stable with photoshop than my PC is. However, this might not be the case for everyone. I have my mbp because I needed fpc for work.
>>
>>3414814
>Hi /p/, why does the creative industry use Macs for creating content?
Because Apple has better marketing
>>
>>3414814
It’s not about the hardware. Like >>3414816 said, it’s about the user interface. Creative types tend to prefer MacOS.

(Well, it’s a little about the hardware since Macs tend to be better built than PCs. Usually a lot less raw power at a given price point, but things like the solid aluminum chassis instead of creaky fragile plastic, higher end displays, etc)
>>
>>3414820
Oh, and also tradition. When the first Mac came out, it was basically the only platform commonly available with a GUI, which obviously made it better for graphics-oriented stuff. So they captured a lot of the creative market that way and just held onto it for the subsequent 30+ years)
>>
If you like the UI so much just hackintosh a laptop lmao
>>
>>3414823
Many times those might not be stable. And I'd image they'd be required to have a pretty specific set of hardware to match with apple capable components
>>
>>3414823
Part of what people like about Macs is that they work right out of the box without having to spend days fucking around with drivers. Contrast with my girlfriend’s Lenovo that shipped with an audio driver so broken that it made her whole laptop run like a 486 for about a year before she made me use it and I figured out what the fuck was wrong with it.

Hackintoshing requires you do deal with a lot of that bullshit. If you don’t value your time, or you enjoy fucking around with that sort of thing, then it’s fine. If you’d rather just use your computer and have it work without problems and you value your time, you’re better off getting a genuine Mac.
>>
>>3414814
i'm not trying to be inflammatory - art and creative oriented design folk actively dislike thinking about technology. they think tech needs to be hidden under a layer of prettiness.
apple does this in spades, from the file manager to the window tiling manager to even the software design philosophy - you are ENCOURAGED to abstract the "tech" feeling away. Everything should SEEM like it just works(even if it doesn't)
This is divergent from the way linux/windows treats tech - as a tool.
Imagine a design job where hammering nails was a big part of the job. You can bet your last dollar that if there was a fancy rubberized hammer that was build with aesthetic appeal and cost 500dollars more than the regular hammer, the design folk would DEMAND that as a tool
I switched from pc to macbook pro this year to see what all the hype was about - the components are really nice and the system is really dumb and simplified. it's exactly how i imagine someone who can't conceptualize tech as appealing in and of itself would design a machine
>>
>>3414848
after spending some time fighting macos to conform to the way I PERSONALLY like my workflow to be, i realized i was hitting resistance because apple has a way of doing things and if you fall in line with that you will find every edge smoothed away, every surface hyper polished.
the moment you step away from the path though it's all brambles and sharp corners hidden under layers of garbage
>>
>>3414814
It’s a legacy from the 1990s. The first widely available non linear video editor was by Avid (Media Composer), and only worked on Macs.
>>
>>3414849
>>3414848
this. remember how it took apple years and years to implement an easily accessible mobile data button to their swipe up control panel thing when androids had that feature forever? i remember watching my friends go through like three different menus to get to their data toggle (data is still expensive in NZ). windows OS can be kind of obtuse but at least you can change most things that bother you if you put in the time and effort into figuring out how. apple OS is just obtuse with little to no workaround; it's full of pretty little animations, but apple is so bent on prettiness that they forgo usability in some areas. like they don't have a right click enable by default??? you have to go into the menus to turn it on??? they think control clicking to right click is somehow advantageous???
>>
>>3414853
yup their autism with iphones makes me sad coz android support just isn't as good. hiding the brightness control toggle menu, hiding the battery percentage on the battery indicator,not including fast charger and usb c to lightning adapter in the box.
it's fucking maddening, if my company didn't pay for everything i would be upset(i put my foot down in 2018 and said they would have to pay for dongles and other "niceties" as well since they were pretty essential and pretty expensive)
>>
>>3414848
I'll have to agree with this.
look at chinkpads, they look and work like tools.
it might do everything better than a macbook but in the end it's ugly and requires you to at least have some knowledge to use it properly.
not too much is required for an osx machine, it essentially just works.
>>
>>3414814
>>3414820
>It’s not about the hardware.
it's actually because of the hardware. Professional applications, as well as Mac OS X itself, tend to be extremely stable because it's designed and tailor made to run on one specific set of hardware. software engineers working on mac apps don't have to worry about hardware compatibility issues as all macs have pretty much the same hardware specification. they exactly know in which kind of system their software is gonna run and optimize it for it. benefits of this also extend to IT management and tech support. that's why companies get macs even if they're gonna cost them more upfront but it works out in the long run because of increased productivity.

the unobtrusive UI, and the OS as a whole, is just the icing on the cake. being able to fully work in your creative task for hours without anything getting on your way is a joy. something I've never experienced on my software engineering job on windows and linux systems.

not the case with windows or linux PCs, in which hardware combinations are literally infinite as it's up to the individual user or laptop manufacturer or whatever. developers have no way of knowing in which kind of system their program is gonna run. not for nothing windows has a reputation of crapping on itself and BSOD'd at the drop of a hat.

however, >>3414849 is absolutely right. OS X gets into a linux-tier terminal commands bullshit the moment you want to do something different than the preset mac way.
>>
>>3414870
Adobe software runs better on wangblows though.
The problem with windows laptops is that they don't have standards, therefore 90% of them all are shit whereas apple at least puts some effort into their quality(belive it or not), not that there's different hardware.
I still think the thinkpad carbon x1 is the best laptop you can get for creative use and building your own PC is the best, but that's because of my own needs and I hate how apple are gimping their laptops while still overheating thanks to terrible cooling, not going to mention the price factor.
Still though, if you're not willing to work with computers and just want to get straight in there nothing beats a mac, on that we can agree.
>>
>>3414853
>they don't have a right click enable by default??? you have to go into the menus to turn it on??? they think control clicking to right click is somehow advantageous???
People who don't use Macs regularly: "Apple coddles its users too much by making everything too easy. Windows is better because you're actually expected to know what you're doing."
Also people who don't use Macs regularly: "Having to change one setting to turn on an advanced feature is... too hard. I can't handle it. Having to know that the feature exists? And going into the control panel to the very obvious place to turn it on? Too much. I'm going back to Windows."

If you've ever had to help someone computer-illiterate out with their computer, you will know that the second mouse button is kind of a curse. There are people who, when you tell them to click something, will always click with the wrong button, will completely forget left and right, will always ask which button to click, will click the wrong button when you explicitly tell them which one, etc. If you just take out that second button, you solve all of those problems immediately for new users and the poor saps who have to support them. It also forces developers to design their interfaces in such a way that right-click is not absolutely required to do things.

And for advanced users, it's super easy to turn on. All Mac mice and trackpads have supported the "second button" (implemented as clicking on the right side of the mouse for mice and two-finger tapping for trackpads) for years, the setting is in the Control Panel screens for mice/trackpads, and you can control-click for the same functionality if you really can't figure out how to control panel.
>>
>>3414854
> hiding the brightness control toggle menu
Not sure what you mean. The brightness slider is in the control center, which is about as easy to get to as a control can be.
> hiding the battery percentage on the battery indicator
The battery indicator is enough to show you "Full charge", "Less than full charge", "About half", "Less than half", and then it changes color to show less than 20% and less than 10%. If, despite accusing *Apple* of being autistic, you're so autistic that you legitimately need to know if your battery is at 97% or 96% or 95%, you can add the battery widget to your widgets screen and it will give you the exact percentage. And the percentages for your airpods and apple watch if you're an apple fanboy like me, which is pretty nice since those don't make it as easy to get battery percentages.
>>
>>3414814
>Is there something special about the specs of a MBP that a similarly priced laptop can't do?
The trackpad/gestures feel so god damn good to use, there is no other laptop that will ever come close to this. That being said I only use my Mac to edit stuff when I'm not home
>>
>>3414958
>using trackpad for photo editing...
Buy the cheapest wacom tablet on the market, and you wont touch it again.
Seriously macs have become shit at serious processing, they're simply too slow for 50mp+ files plus all the required masks and filters you need to throw at them. They got the name in the past when they had huge advantage over windows devices with their colour spaces and proprietary software. They're not far behind, but they're not 100% argb ether.
>>
>>3414977
I'm not super familiar with Wacoms current line up. Do they have a device that is just a trackpad for hands? Also, that's kind of stupid, you would then have to lug around a second device, along with its wires. It would be much more bulky, and it would be almost impossible to use on your lap in situations that you don't have a desk available.

I bought my mpb used on craigslist almost 4 years ago for $1k, and it's worked great without a single issue for 4k video and large resolution photos. It's not decked out either, mid grade everything for the year that it was built.
>>
>>3414979
What. The pen is the whole point and it's glorious for editing.
>>
>>3414985
I have one with a pen, but there's no way in hell I'd bring that with me while I'm traveling. At home, yes, but outside no. It's way too easy to lose the pen.
>>
>>3414977
Are wacom tablets better than a flawless sensor mouse for general editing?
I can't stand trackpads(gesture control on OSX is really nice though) so I was thinking of just bringing a trackball wherever I go since you won't be able to use a mouse everywhere and you might be able to convince me to use a tablet instead.
mouse > trackball > trackpoint > trackpad, is their ranking as far as usability goes and I'm wondering where drawing tablets fit in.
>>
I use a mac for some 90s legacy software. It is unfortunate Windows has really poor colour management to this day. You can set it up to do graphics work but a Mac is less arcane. I'd replace my PCs if I had the money.
>>
>>3414987
YES. If you get a tablet, you will hate it for 24 hours, and then you will never use any other input device again.

You can do any kind of art, photo editing, even music production, about 10x faster, realistically. It even makes doing Captchas 10x faster.
>>
>>3414994
That's cool, I've heard mixed things about the ones without a screen and one with, I assume screen is better for photos and general usage while noscreen is for people doing drawings?
>>
>>3414987
Better than mouse, hardly. Better then trackads, absolutely. Once you get used to them, its about the same as mouse. Maybe still a little slower. I'd not advise them as mouse replacement, unless you also need them for drawing. That's their main use.
>>
>>3414997
I don't think that's right. I've only ever used no-screen. It's surprising how quickly you will develop a feel for putting the pen down in the right place. You just make a mental connection between the screen and tablet.
>>
>>3414997
It's actually the opposite. Screen is for extensive drawing, since you see what you get on screen, noscreen is for general work.
>>
>>3414999
>>3415001
>>3415014
Thanks, I'm 100% sold
Going to upgrade my camera before that though
>>
>>3414977
>Buy the cheapest wacom tablet on the market, and you wont touch it again.
Yeah I'll just bin my macbook, buy a thinkpad/wacom and carry all that shit with me on the off chance that I'll be editing photos while i'm out. Read my whole reply next time.
I didn't like trackpads at all after using a plethora of windows laptops and was reluctant when I got my Macbook but oh boy did that change after a few weeks. Using all the gestures became second nature, the trackpad it's self is so smooth feeling it doesn't kill your fingers after extended use, the satisfying click/haptic feedback, being able to left click anywhere on the trackpad is something whenever I use someone else's laptop I'm always wtf overing, (like why the fuck do I have to hover my cursor over the thing I wanna click then move my finger down to the left click button?) and all the swiping/pinching gestures to do stuff like scroll, zoom, open desktop, open launchpad, open mission control, etc.
I find editing on my Macbook/PC about the same. Mac feels only slightly better for stuff like spot healing or stuff where I have to be accurate, you'd think it would be better on my PC/mouse but I hold the mouse like I have my wrist on the mouse pad so I feel the mouse pad whenever I move the pad and it gives that slight irritating feeling. A tablet would be perfect but I don't apply a fuck load of edits to my photos besides removing dust from the film scans so it's not necessary for me to own one.
>they're simply too slow for 50mp+ files plus all the required masks and filters you need to throw at them
I've only noticed slow downs in Lightroom when the battery is lower than about 30% with full brightness/ full brightness on the keyboard lights with my early 2015 13" inch Macbook Pro
>>
Mac OS is absolute shit, its only saving grace is that its kinda POSIX compatible so it makes deving IZIPIZI. other than that the os freezes all the time, or you cant resize windows. its settings are limited. everything is always locked up and withheld from you because its for brainlets who cant think or make decisions for themselves

If you still fall for the Mac runs creative software you are a dumb brainlet cuck.

You know what runs creative software nicely. A bomb ass PC that you build because you can actually put nice parts in it for very affordable prices. Good luck doing that with your shit mac.

I use a macbook pro and a windows desktop.
I got my mac through my old job tho, I would never blow 3k for what you get.
>>
>>3414948
I dont know what kind of retarded shit you are spewing. maybe 10 years ago you could argue that gay click example you are using but not any more. Its not that windows expects you to know what you are doing, its mac tells you what you should and shouldnt do and they lock shit away or make it difficult for users to change or get access too. I fucking hate windows too but fuck if you honestly think macos is anything better you are far too gone to even convince otherwise.
>>
>>3415030
>Read my whole reply next time.
Obviously talking about photoshop with serious processing... I'm often forced doing lossy edits on 32gb ram desktop. mac's don't stand a chance. I'm not the same, apple has been losing market share for a decades now.
>>
>>3415044
> other than that the os freezes all the time
The only time I've ever had OSX freeze on me is when I've had a bad (third-party) SSD. Are you sure you weren't just working with broken hardware? That will make anything freeze.

> or you cant resize windows
And I've literally never had this one happen.

> its settings are limited
What are you looking for that you can't find?

> everything is always locked up and withheld from you
Such as...?

>>3415045
> they lock shit away or make it difficult for users to change or get access too.
1. Open system preferences
2. Click the little picture of a mouse
3. Click 'Secondary click'
This is too difficult for you to do?
>>
Are people really that tech illiterate they don't know how to use mac os or the terminal commands? Macs are super convenient and great tools, but other laptops give you more bang for your buck if you're willing to put in the extra effort and put up with terrible ui
>>
File: speedmaster.jpg (1.81 MB, 2592x1944)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB JPG
>>3414814
i use a 10 year old mac for printing and graphic design it crashes all the time and when large jobs come in like alternating barcodes like 50,000 of them the computer side of literally just the data merge takes longer than printing and i have to do it in groups of 2,000 barcodes or else it dies and literally cant do anything else well its processing because of crappypc and the whole process kills the workflow and ugh it sucks!

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNokia
Camera ModelN95 8GB
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Exposure Time29/1000 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Light SourceFlash
FlashFlash, Auto
Focal Length5.60 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2592
Image Height1944
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
>>
'creatives' use mac because they're the only group dumb enough to be easily swayed to spend substantially more for the same performance if it's packaged in a nice design

t. lenovo thinkpadfag
>>
>>3414870
That is not how computers work. This isn't like a car, where a different manufacturer might design a part a slightly different way that would be better for some overall builds, but not better for all. Parts themselves are largely interchangeable, at least in any capacity that can be noticed by an end user.

In fact, the very benefits you're talking about are specifically the UI and OS. With a PC, nothing is every truly seemless, without an incredible amount of work by the end user. This is because each piece of software is designed by different companies for a wider variety of use. But Apple machines only come one way, and they are very limited in what new programs you can add to them. This is not a matter of hardware, but software. It's not the difference in circuit materials between ratheon and nvidia that's making a difference; it's the ability to seemlesslessly program the interaction between components, because there is no need for interchangeability. They are not picking the hardware because of a specific advantage of any hardware combinations. Rather, they are limiting the choice of hardware because of the great software advantages this lack of choice gives. This is what allows the OS and UI to be so unobtrusive. Power and flexibility in computing are sacrificed so that the user can think less about the machine, and more about what they want to do with the machine. It makes computers much closer to the tools we encounter in our every day life. Engineers get excited by all the different forms a computer can take, and all the different uses it can be put towards. But "creatives" have no need or desire to consider how the systems of logic could be brought to bear in addressing hospital information systems. All they want is a better pencil. Mac gives them that. It's a dumber machine than a PC, and that's why people like it.
>>
>>3418183
That's not true at all. Macs are virtually indistinguishable in anything but os towards pc nowdays. There is no hardware dependency to worry about, what you should worry is apple pulling a plug on your working machine, just because they say so.
I've a perfectly usable ipad, nothing wrong with it technically, it's cpu is slow and it's got small amount of ram, but I'd still use to this day as a net screen in the living room. When, I know not which new version of it came out, they decided to lock it from updating, and I'm now pretty much left with a brick. It'll open up few webpages, and nothing else. If I want to watch youtube, I'll need to buy an extra external browser to do that, and it'll down right crash when accessing most webpages. There is nothing technical about it, it's just their well documented business model. I see nothing personal about it ether, I just don't buy a single product from them, and I discourage people to buy them as well.
>>
Personally, I feel that it's the displays. There are many high priced Windows laptops that have surprisingly shitty displays, and even if the displays are good, they are often way off calibration wise. Finding a fitting Windows laptop takes time and lots of review reading. Buying a MBP solves that by guaranteeing a wide gamut screen with low DeltaE values. That's what I think, at least.
>>
>>3414814
Honestly, because a lot of their schools used mac so it is what they learned on. There was also a point where Apple respected the creative professionals and brought out really awesome software. Aperture and Final Cut were promising until Apple said fuck it and decided to start catering to consumers and reducing their professional products and software for amateurs and hobbyists.

In the end, it boils down to marketing and familiarity. If you spent all your time in school using Apple computers and studios using Apple products, you're going to continue doing that. At the same time, they've had slick marketing and put out an aesthetic product and UI.

I used it for years professionally, especially with Logic. I'd still use it if it were what was in front of me. I just have no desire to buy another apple product again.
>>
>>3418090
For me, a large part of it was software. When I was editing video Final Cut was a dream come true compared to Avid and when I was working on post-audio production, nothing beat Logic. Besides the software, the ability to work with other people and work within their studios seamlessly almost required the use of and proficiency with Apple computers.
>>
>>3418275
correct
while "windows laptops" have the potential to be much better macbooks come the best out of the box, and that's what most people want.
I own a macbook pro retina and mostly use thinkpads and my built desktop for everything but I can see why people are turned off by the idea of non-macOS computers.
Only teens or people with buyers remorse for their product would fight about who's machine is better, people have different priorities, they both have their fair share of problems though.

as a sidenote I use shitton of heavy adobe software so windows is a must for me but I'd gladly switch to ganoo loonix fully on all my machines if it had the software support.
>>
>my2pence
coming from someone who regularly switches between two similarly spec'd computers every day (one mac and one windows); in my experience the adobe suite runs a bit faster on OSX and the way expose, virtual desktops, and multi-touch functions in OSX makes working in OSX more efficient and smoother overall. After keymapping ctrl to alt on windows, switching between the two systems isn't much of a problem but I do miss some QoL features on OSX when working with Adobe; anything beyond Adobe I don't notice a difference.
>>
>>3418290
That part is in fact true. And it's got a long history as well. Apple monitors were well ahead of anything on pc for a long time. Everything from colours available, colour management to profiles, to printing options, was much superior, the difference was in fact so big that if you wanted to do editing and publishing on pro level, you truly needed to go Apple. There really was no other option, and exactly this is the fabled reputation that still proceeds them. The reality is that they really have been slacking, now they're actually behind in monitors, it's no biggy since you can fit any consumer monitor to mac anyway, but it's still a small thing that people notice. The big problem is their abandonment of their own proprietary software, and catering to the masses. Honestly, and without trolling or anything, I truly believe that's the thing that will leave them behind, unless management and direction changes, that is.
>>
>>3418275

This right here is why i'm considering updaying to a MacBook for photography. I run three laptops and two desktops for work, all Windows, and cannot get consistent color across them. Even after calibration they still look different. I don't know which one to trust so I don't trust any of them and it affects my workflow.

My hope is if I get a mac, then i can just trust the display to be correct. I don't really know
>>
>>3418343
they'll be MORE correct but will still need calibration
I think your case is a case of shitty IPS backlight which has fucked me up in the past
ironically it's easier and more accurate for me to use my $50 thinkpad IPS panel I installed myself last year than my $600 IPS monitors thanks to backbleeding issues.
we're getting microled and joled soon which will destroy everything we have right now so I'd say wait a bit until you buy a macbook in case they'll incorporate that technology into their panels.
that's one thing I do like about macbooks, that there's almost no backlight issues thanks to actually having some quality control, I'm saying this as an avid chinkpad windows user.
>>
>>3418243
I don't think you read what I wrote. I'm work on a PC. In terms of power, it is the best computer in our office, where everyone else is working on a mac. But everytime I try to plug in headphones or speakers, it takes several minutes to reconfigure the audio settings so that the computer knows how to handle the information. This issue could be resolved so that it's seamless in the future, but that in itself would take time that I don't usually have when the issue comes up. I was not saying that there were particular hardware dependencies with mac. What I said is that by limiting the freedom of hardware, and even software, Apple can more easily ensure that the end user experience will be seamless. They are however now running into problems because their machines are becoming unreliable. And for the same reason the average user doesn't have to worry about any inconvenience when the machine is working properly, they are significantly more difficult to fix. This is the biggest motivator I've found for people switching from mac to PC. As their old machines wear out faster than expected, and the fixes are expensive and frustrating, more and more people are finding it worthwhile to buy into PC, where they might have more inconvenience along the way, but will ultimately pay far less for greater power and longer product life.
>>
I’m really concerned that, on a photography board, very few people mention the screen quality
>>
>>3418836
..which is a non issue, since anyone semi serious buys eizo and a calibarator anyway
or are you talking about the screen on macbooks?
>>
>>3418837
>MacBook
Obviously
>>
>>3414814
I worked in marketing and user interface. I have not been in any major studio that use mac so far.

The few occasions i see any designer use it is some family men that stopped using their computers and cant be arsed to install programs from .exe files any longer.
>>
File: 2d-argb-applep3.jpg (76 KB, 900x1020)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>3418836
Because there's not much between them.
>>
>>3418083
>I use a 10 year old mac that's obviously fucking outdated beyond belief why is it so bad? It's obviously because pc is better!
>>
>>3414820
>Creative types tend to prefer MacOS.
Lmao. Imagine falling for this ridiculous meme.
>>
>>3419323
I'm on a 10 year old computer right now and I can render 3d scenes, after effects videos and video games on high or ultra settings still. Sure it may not be as fast as before but the idea that 10 year old computers are unusable is exclusively a mac thing.
Then again those become unusable after 2 years if you're lucky.
>>
>>3419634
I just realized that my computer was built 8 years ago.
the i7 2600k is still good because CPU technology has barely improved and I added a 10606GB to it recently because GPUs become obsolete fast unlike CPUs.
I just checked it's also funny that my shitty desktop still has a better cpu than a top modern imac(primarily when it comes to rendering) and I didn't even overclock it, think you can get them off ebay for $120 as well, wonder if I should just order cheap parts and build a hackintosh for a fun project and I actually somewhat like macOS thanks to having owned a macbook pro for 6 years now.
>>
>>3414827
Install Gento
>>
>>3419694
2013-06-25
I'd like to clear up some erroneous information about where I stand that is circulating on 4chan and perhaps elsewhere.

I have a low opinion of Gentoo GNU/Linux.
Gentoo is a GNU/Linux distribution, but its developers don't recognize this; they call it "Gentoo Linux". That means they are treating me and the GNU Project disresepectfully.

More importantly, Gentoo steers the user towards nonfree programs, which is why it is not one of our recognized free distros.

See the GNU distros list for the distros that I do recommend.
>>
>>3414875
Actually its people buying shit tier/ brand laptops, then compares it to Apple's as if theyre the same price bracket.

>>> See's Wangbows laptop as same price as a Magboog, gets it then sucks up everytime it has crashes cause it just works (only because MacOS actually hides errors). Jumps into 4ch and Reddut to brag about Apple is tech god.
>>
>>3414814
>why does the creative industry use Macs for creating content
It doesn't. Adobe is the big player in any commercial firm I've ever ran into and they almost always use PC or barely use Macs
That said, I've routinely run into artists and techs who prefer mac and it's almost exclusively the same comments:
>Less hassle
>Quicker
>More colours
Two out of three of those are bullshit but historically it does seem as though some mac equipment (particularly monitors) had an edge

I'm sure neckbeard /g/ enthusiasts will be able to elaborate

Like others are suggesting, it's mostly a case of marketing and incorrect perception that results in threads like these
>>
Can anyone name any specific examples of how macOS is less hassle than PC for everyday use?
>>
>>3421984
>Can anyone name any specific examples of how macOS is less hassle than PC for everyday use?
When I scroll the screen using the trackpad on my Macbook, it moves smoothly as if I were literally grabbing the window and sliding it up with my fingers. The same action with my work Dell feels disconnected, like it's emulating a scroll wheel with discrete steps. Much less fluid.
>>
>>3414949
Its not about knowing 98 vs 97. Its when youre under say 30% and want to know how far from 10% you are. If youre under 10% on an iPhone and you dont have percentages turned on, do you have 30 minutes of screen time left or 2? Oh right its autistic to know numbers my bad lmfao
>>
>>3414988
These days the fault is only in the monitor. Just buy one rated well for color space work and a calibration tool.
>>
>>3421997
> Its when youre under say 30% and want to know how far from 10% you are.
"About 20%". You can't translate that into an actual time span anyway because that depends on what you're doing with your phone.

And anyway, just add the battery widget to your widgets screen and you get the numbers if you really need them.
>>
File: iNPC.jpg (31 KB, 512x512)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
Simple programing.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2017 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2018:10:15 21:30:17
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width512
Image Height512
>>
>>3418343
>>3418350
As someone who has worked in digital signage and had to hardware calibrate big video walls (= LUTs) I can tell you that every display has a very slight tint that you can not "calibrate out". I once spoke to some higher up from NEC because I figured something is wrong here, but he said that it's normal production variance. That kind of discoloration is mostly evident near the edges of a display which makes it quite noticeable with video walls. I'm rather positive that MBPs have the same kind of variance - like all large format / pro displays I've dealt with so far.
>>
>>3414994
Second.
It took me like 2 days of hating the wacom to realize how much easyer than mouse it is for editing
>>
>>3422508
Well, I still prefer mouse for general input. But tablet, even shitty cheap one is the way for editing & drawing style stuff.

* I would use my ancient bamboo more if it had not the feature of annoyingly pulsing blue light when idle. Never found a way to disable that until I finally cracked it open and snapped the !@#$ blue leds out w pliers....
>>
>>3414820
>Macs tend to be better built than PCs

this isn't true at all. for some reason macbook pros get compared to walmart tier budget laptops.

mbp's are mobile workstation class and when directly compared to windows mobile workstations (like dell precision, etc) they are comparable to inferior in terms of build quality. an advantage of windows business class laptops (like the precision) is their corporate clients expect the on site warranty they include so they are also quickly and easily serviceable unlike the macs.



Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.