[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 12 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

All work safe boards are now on the 4channel.org domain. Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

There's now a setting option under Navigation to display the full list of boards on 4channel.org

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

File: PHI01000.jpg (3.79 MB, 2500x3730)
3.79 MB
3.79 MB JPG
Everything I do feels derivative as fuck, and I don't know how to escape it.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-7RM2
Camera Softwaredarktable 2.4.4
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)50 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Image Created2018:12:06 18:01:34
Exposure Time1/30 sec
F-Numberf/1.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating250
Brightness-0.1 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length50.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2500
Image Height3730
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: PHI01021_01.jpg (3.65 MB, 2500x2000)
3.65 MB
3.65 MB JPG

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-7RM2
Image Created2018:12:06 18:36:28
Exposure Time1/1600 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating1000
Brightness10.8 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width2500
Image Height2000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: PHI01017.jpg (2.02 MB, 2500x1785)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-7RM2
Image Created2018:12:06 18:36:35
Exposure Time1/1250 sec
F-Numberf/7.1
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating1000
Brightness8.2 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width2500
Image Height1785
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: PHI01036.jpg (762 KB, 2500x2000)
762 KB
762 KB JPG

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-7RM2
Image Created2018:12:06 18:36:38
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/1.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating50
Brightness7.3 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceCloudy Weather
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width2500
Image Height2000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: DSC00975_01.jpg (3.69 MB, 2500x3744)
3.69 MB
3.69 MB JPG

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-7RM2
Image Created2018:12:06 18:28:26
Exposure Time1/30 sec
F-Numberf/1.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating320
Brightness0.3 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width2500
Image Height3744
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: DSC00983.jpg (2.35 MB, 2500x1786)
2.35 MB
2.35 MB JPG
>>3402587

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-7RM2
Image Created2018:12:06 18:28:33
Exposure Time1/30 sec
F-Numberf/7.1
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating2500
Brightness0.8 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceWhite Fluorescent
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width2500
Image Height1786
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: DSC00981.jpg (1.33 MB, 2500x1669)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB JPG

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-7RM2
Image Created2018:12:06 18:28:31
Exposure Time1/30 sec
F-Numberf/4.5
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating1250
Brightness0.3 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width2500
Image Height1669
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3402582
Take different kinds of pictures then. These are the kind of pictures I take when I get a new lens or body to test it out.
>>
Find subjects that actually interest you instead of trying to conform to some vague notion of art
>>
>>3402707
That’s where I’m struggling. I feel like I have decent composition, I can find eye-catching things (color, contrast, depth) but am lacking whatever it is that goes above and beyond those things. I don’t know where to look. I don’t know how to tell a story with my photographs. And I don’t know how to learn that.
>>
>>3402785
Go to a civil war.
>>
>>3402582
The easier it is to take a photo, the more likely someone has already taken it.
>>
>>3402582
>Everything I do feels derivative as fuck, and I don't know how to escape it.
Your shots have blown out highlights, are out of focus and have lots of other very basic mistakes. Worry about being technically competent first, then you can worry about doing your own thing
Also find an interesting subject instead of shooting random crap around you. We all go through this phase when we start and it#s particularly relevant when you're complaining about being derivative
>>3402785
>I don’t know how to tell a story with my photographs. And I don’t know how to learn that.
Stop reading meme blogs and quotes from 50 year old photographers for a start- street photography is a bad place to learn to get better at photography
If you genuinely mean telling a story then learn to compose a series or a group of prints. Quickest way to learn to narrate is to just do it- pick a subject and what you're trying to show then develop a series using the same settings, the same theme, the same colour palette or whatever else you need to do to keep them together in your chosen medium.

Compiling a series teaches you a huge amount but I feel like you've just read "tell a story with your photo" on some street photography blog and you think it's actually meaningful
>>
>>3402785
This is me >>3402707
Start shooting people or animals, get a speed light too. Remember that photography is capturing a moment or making something creative. You’re taking pictures of cups and statues. I’m not knocking your desire to shoot or even the fact that you are shooting I’m just saying you’re not conveying anything that anyone else couldn’t do. If that statue was about to be taken down with an angry mob around it you have a shot, if those cups were ultra rare for some reason then align them up in a way with something else in the shot to give it a purpose. Idk taking pictures of cups isn’t my thing so I could be way off but if the subject of the photo is boring make it interesting. A hand reaching for a specific cup would be cool. Someone making coffee with it and sitting there having a cup smoking a cigarette. Have them tell a story capture their engagement. Here’s a picture I took of people which could be super boring but it’s Laura loomer taunting some antifa kids with a sign and I set out to capture their emotion. I’m not trying to be political or take sides I’m just saying when I went to protests I wanted to get faces and expressions. Not saying my photo is great either just showing an example of what I mean.

Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Width2436
Image Height1626
>>
>>3402725
Not OP but this is great advice and well articulated.

>>3402805
This is also true.

>>3402582
For shots like this they benefit from being technically perfect, like having perfectly straight lines, perfectly centered or tastefully off centered, and perfectly exposed. Since they're minimalist you have little to focus on so imperfections become apparent straight away.

>I don't know how to escape it
I'm not sure what kind of photography you're into, but it may help to first get an idea of what *you* (not other photographers or artists) want to shoot. If you're feeling derivative it's likely because you're letting others tell you what makes photos good. It's not wrong to want feedback but for me my "breakout" if I could even call it that was when I stopped caring so, so much what others thought and if I was going to get hundreds of likes or favorites or whatever. It sounds lame maybe but I tend to just follow my gut and shoot a lot, not caring too much since I know not every photo I take is going to be great. Even Ansel Adams said 12 photographs in a year of any significance is a good crop.
>>
>>3402873
>12 photographs in a year is a good crop
Couldn’t agree more. I said this in another thread that 95% would be shit 1% top tier and the other 4% good and useable. Did the math on the 15k shots I took last year and it stood true. Had about 20 shots I really really liked and about 500 useable and good.
>>
Don't worry about trying to fit inside or outside of any given category, just have fun shooting the shit that you want to shoot.
>>
1. Experiential
Challenge yourself with specific techniques to get new results. All portrait, all night, all nature, all+/- exposed, etc

2. Study your own photos, pick your favorites. Study why they work, what you like about them.
>>
>>3402860
Very boring photo
>>
>>3402890
>Very boring photo
This is /p/ in a nutshell. Used to be a decent resource, now it's just full of lowlifes spouting their vitriol to try and make themselves feel like their pathetic little lives are worth living.
>>
>>3402970
It’s all good man. It’s my picture it’s not my most exciting from that day. Can’t please all the people all the time.
>>
>>3402814
I don't read any blogs, I have one single photography book on composition. No quotes, no weird esoteric shit, just a guy trying to figure this all out.

>pick a subject and what you're trying to show then develop a series using the same settings, the same theme, the same colour palette

This is the kind of advice I'm looking for.

>>3402860
>if those cups were ultra rare for some reason then align them up in a way with something else in the shot to give it a purpose. Idk taking pictures of cups isn’t my thing so I could be way off but if the subject of the photo is boring make it interesting. A hand reaching for a specific cup would be cool
Just as a side story, the mugs are all shaving mugs, which I guess in ye olden dayes one would purchase, leave at the barber shop, and when you show up you'd grab your mug. This was considered to be more sanitary, and so the barbershop would have a wall of mugs like this. That shot was taken in a museum of yesteryear.

I do agree the shot in and of itself doesn't really convey much, which is why I'm saying I struggle with story, or narrative in my pictures. I have like half the equation, but am missing that extra bit that goes above and beyond your average photographer. I don't know where to find even the first steps to that path, which is why I'm here.

I appreciate all the responses, and will do better to start developing a theme. It would appear that's my next step. It's something I've been working on a bit, and am struggling to figure out how to convey it photographically in some respects.

I'm gonna keep shooting random aesthetic shit I enjoy, but will curate my publicly posted works a bit better perhaps.
>>
>>3402983
Okay shaving cup is even more interesting now knowing that. Work with that. Get someone to use it to shave and take a photo series of that. Take a picture of someone looking for “their cup” then shaving or being shaved if possible and keep the cup in all the shots. I’m not trying to be condescending or tell you what to do just giving you some direction if you’re struggling. Keep shooting with purpose. Talk to friends about their hobbies or trades and shoot them doing that stuff. So for this someone welding isn’t super exciting I focused on the light of the torch. The atmosphere wasn’t exciting and what was being welded didn’t matter. I wanted the intimacy of the person working.

Image Width1626
Image Height2436
>>
>>3402998
Not OP here, but just wanted to say that your response is very much appreciated. I wish more people on /p/ were actually interested in trying to help others, but unfortunately it seems this board is populated by those who, for whatever asinine reasons, seem to get their kicks by trashing/criticizing/humiliating whatever others choose to post.
>>
>>3403418
They are projecting or looking for a reaction. Fuck em.

Camera SoftwareInstagram
Image Width2400
Image Height2400
>>
>>3402582
Stop taking pictures of walls loser

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.