[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: pottery.jpg (134 KB, 1000x668)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
Anyone here shoot weddings? How did you get started? I want to shoot weddings but I have no portfolio and don't know anyone personally that's getting married. How can I break into wedding photography?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D750
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2017 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.4
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern910
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)35 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width3600
Image Height2403
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2018:02:07 15:58:06
Exposure Time1/640 sec
F-Numberf/2.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating320
Lens Aperturef/2.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length35.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1000
Image Height668
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
Find an established wedding photographer, offer to work as their second shooter for free/cheap for the experience.

Or just crash weddings and bring your camera along.
>>
>>3401927

>just crash weddings and bring your camera along.

Sounds like a good way to get arrested for tresspass and/or harassment.
>>
>>3401936

As long as you're not having sex with the guests and pissing on trees you should be alright. Just act confident and no one will suspect you shouldn't be there.
>>
>>3401936
Jesus, do I have to explain everything to you noobs? Wear a fake mustache. When the cops show up, just take off the mustache and disappear into the crowd like a ghost.
>>
How do I find clients? All these wedding photographer advertisement sites seem like scams.
>>
>>3402060
Just ask friends and family. You have to know someone that's getting married. Start there and then just market yourself on Craigslist/Facebook/Instagram
>>
>>3401969
Does that actually work? Respond quick because I'm about to try it
>>
>>3402060

If you're looking to get into wedding photography because you want to take photos like this, you're going to come across as a giant fucking creep and your career will never go anywhere. Women can spell a skeeze from a mile away.
>>
>>3402147

This is literally a joke in the new Will Ferrell Sherlock Holmes movie trailer. It worked for him, it may work for you
>>
>>3402165
Thanks man.
>>
>>3402147
I have never had this technique fail on me.
>>
Asqueroso
>>
Ive shot 4 weddings now. But DESU. Its hardly worth the money. Id rather make half as much on a shoot that's easier, less stressful, and has less people to get in the way.

Issues that I've found annoying:
Ive had a bride demand multiple edits of images (black and white + color + other styles) despite the contract covering certain limits.

There will often be someone in the wedding that brings their own shit 200$ entry level dslr and thinks they are a photog, getting these people to get out of the way, stand down, or stop is an annoyance, especially when they dont and it requires the groom or bride to stop it. They think they are helping and often will walk around getting group photos, but then I come around and waste more of these peoples time getting similar shots that don't look like ass. The last wedding I did actually this weekend had a gal from the grooms family do this with and didn't even stop despite the bride saying it was pissing her off. The grooms mother forced her to keep going. This is my biggest annoyance.

There's often drunk people that will try and get u to take pics of stuff because they are drunk, another annoyance.

Now a days rehearsals are very fast, or hardly cover the depth of events not giving the photog much time to plan shooting locations, lighting, and marking certain camera settings for different areas.

I stick to corporate events now 99% of the time. Easy money often upfront, almost no expectations of editing, very easy to deliver a product they are happy with, often pay more per hour since they dont nickel and dime even if its only an hour or two, it's so much more enjoyable and less stressful.
>>
>>3402173

How do you get corporate clients? The problem here is that I don't have any type of portfolio besides environmental shots.
>>
>>3402173
>Ive had a bride demand multiple edits of images (black and white + color + other styles) despite the contract covering certain limits.

Well that's super easy since you had a contract. You tell her to get fucked, or pay you more. That's literally the entire reason contracts exist.
>>
Full time wedding photographer here. I started out shooting general stuff like families and couples to get comfortable with shooting people. This also allowed me to build up a good bit of gear. After getting more and more clients I started having people ask me to do weddings, but I always turned them down until I was at the point where I felt confident and had the equipment I needed. I took on a few small weddings when I felt I was ready and went from there.

You need to understand weddings are huge undertaking and something you do not want to fuck up because people will talk shit. I’ve shot over 100 at this point and still get nervous.
>>
>>3402060
>>3402084
Offer it for free for friends/family who might not have the budget for a photographer. You get a wedding to practice with, they get some kind of photos even if they turn out like ass. And all it cost them is an extra plate of food. Their mom might even throw some cash your way as thanks.
>>
Dont do it. Its stressful (if you actually care about getting the best for your client) I shot weddings for a couple of years...over time you will grow to hate taking photos for people. Many clients will try and fuck you over.
>>
>>3402060

OMG this is so fucking hot. How do I convince brides to let me take pictures like this of them? Should I try asking my sister? She's getting married next year...
>>
>>3402201
I walked around and just asked to take pics of buildings, offices, bars, storage facilities, apartments, explained i was starting and getting portfolio shots and most people are chill, some say no, whatever. I took photos of the places I worked too. These stock photos where all I needed to find local companies needing someone for events, fundraisers, toys for tots, parties, etc. I find lots of random shoots off Craigslist, both with my own ad, as well as responding to event listings. Having your own website really helps too and is pretty cheap.

>>3402207
While that's true, contracts help with legal issues mostly, in that situation you have to also weigh the customer service aspect, now a days its very easy for someone to lambast you online, post bad reviews, tell people, etc, people often play up their issues to drum up moral support for them too. Its not as cut and dry as telling them to pound sand sadly because bad word of mouth/reviews can be worse than a legal battle for a few hours extra work. Thus why I listed it as an annoyance, because a corporate entity wouldn't do that. Ive found word of mouth while at weddings is the most effective way to easily get more clients as well, as they see your work, and how well you act and will make offers, ask for headshots, toddler pics, etc etc, you have to weigh potentially loosing those clients as well.
>>
>>3402549
Uh, it's actually very common. There are certain photos that clients tend to expect, one of the typical shots is the bride getting ready. Some are modest and may only want photos of the lacing, makeup, hair, etc. Some are less modest and want shots like this. Tends to come down to body type as well, not all my wedding clients had a body to do this so it wasn't brought up, but instead other aspects of the bride getting ready where focused on.

So many people act like this is hot and want to shoot it sounding like massive creeps. Its a client, you're doing a job. Its not a XXX shoot, its like 5 min where you'll see a moderately clothed woman. Grow up man and just do the job. Its important to talk with clients before a shoot, explain your style, ask for them to go on Pinterest and send u wedding pics they like, etc. But don't be a fucking creep or it will be your first only and last wedding shoot.
>>
>>3402615

>There are certain photos that clients tend to expect, one of the typical shots is the bride getting ready.

Is there a way to communicate to my clients that I specialize in more erotic forms of "getting ready" photos for the bride?
>>
>>3402677
sounds like you need to become the client and hire a prostitute
>>
>>3402677
Yea. You should stay away from weddings. Don't do that. Don't even shoot a wedding.

You want erotic wedding photos? That doesn't exist. The photo linked is very not erotic and was like 5% of an entire shoot.

You want erotic wedding pics. Do whats been suggested, hire a model advertising for boudoir shots. Pay them.

Try and have a meeting with an actual wedding client and talk about wedding shots like that and you'll sound like an instant creep, i mean, the way u post here, it sounds like you're a 14 year old kid who's never seen a female body.

There's no way to communicate you specialize in "erotic getting ready pics" that doesn't exist, not at a wedding. If you really think that pics like that are reason to shoot weddings, then save your self before you get fucked and move on.
>>
>>3402686
>>3402910

Ok, first off, hiring a prostitute to pretend to be a bride is fucking retarded and nothing at all like real photos of a bride in various stages of dress. Second off, I don't think any of you know anything about what a woman really wants before she gets married. I think *most* women would like to have very intimate, mildly erotic photos of her pre-wedding self for her and her husband to enjoy. I think most women are just too timid to ask for what they truly desire most for that portion of the shoot. I think there's a niche to be filled for "erotic friendly" wedding photographers who can put a woman at ease about asking for those very intimate shots of her supple young body in her wedding lingerie. Thirdly, I'm not the OP and I'm not sure I'll ever shoot weddings as my forte is male models. I do however firmly believe that I could give women exactly what they're looking for in a wedding photographer; A man that can capture them at their most tender and erotic on the day of their wedding to share with their husbands for the rest of their lives.

The only people that sound like 14 years old here are you puritanical fuddy duddies who probably think women can't have real orgasms and that masturbation is a sin. Grow up.
>>
>>3402984
Sure told them virgins bro. You're a fucking degenerate idiot and so is any whore who wants to have pictures like that taken of her.
>>
>>3403021
Don’t you have a barn to raise or some butter to churn?
>>
>>3401925
How likely is it for a couple to sue for shit pics?
>>
>>3403021

> whore who wants to have pictures like that taken of her.

>FOR HER HUSBAND

We can all tell you're retarded already, but you do understand that a woman taking pictures to share with her husband doesn't qualify her as a whore, right dumbass?
>>
>>3403066
Yes it does, it doesn't matter who it's for. It's perhaps even more disgusting if it's for her husband.
>>
>>3403071

Ask me how I can tell that you're unattractive, overweight, and single.
>>
>>3402984
Clearly you, not a wedding photographer, knows what a bride wants that a professional wedding photographer doesn't give them. Do you see how stupid you sound? You want to get your rocks off to what I'm assuming is your newly found fetish of brides getting dressed. Fuck off an do boudoir with a model and sexy bride's apparel.
>>
>>3403093

>Clearly you, not a wedding photographer

Clearly, since I've already admitted as much, boomertard.

>knows what a bride wants that a professional wedding photographer doesn't give them.

I think any pro photographer *could* give it to them, it's just that most women probably don't *want* most pro photographers taking such sexy, intimate images of them. Most importantly, I don't think most pro photogs can even convey that they THEMSELVES are comfortable with erotic shooting wedding photography.

All I'm saying is that I think there's an untapped niche of sexually repressed women who are chomping at the bit deep inside to deliver a really erotic set of photos to their husbands but that don't feel they have an outlet to even express their deep desire to pose in such intimate, revealing ways in front of a wedding photographer of all people. That's where I feel I have something big and desirable to offer them, namely, a man who they're comfortable with because they're secure in the knowledge this is what I do; I give women what they really want: the opportunity to please their husbands with exceptionally erotic wedding photography.
>>
>>3403101
That's not an untapped niche. Women have those kind of shoots done for their husbands/boyfriends all the time. It's called a boudoir shoot you fucking idiot.
>>
>>3403123

Yeah no shit, but the difference is that these are boudoir shots on the day of the wedding. That makes it even more special. Like, just setting up a boudoir shoot any old time is fine, but it's lot more special when a beautiful woman can say to her husband "oh look babe, this was right before the ceremony...I was so wet thinking about you right then. I couldn't stop thinking about being with you that night!"

It has a lot more impact on a man, but you wouldn't know anything about that now, would you?
>>
>>3403127
cringe
>>
>>3402984
"Ive never shot a wedding but clearly know whats best"

After having been shooting as a paid, contracted photographer for 15 years at this point and multiple weddings under my belt, I can absolutely assure you, you're wrong.

Most women are modest. Wedding days tend to have a ton of family and friends around helping them. There tends to be very limited time for staged shots as well. If you have no working history or knowledge of a subject or the expectations that go with it, why the fuck would you honestly think you know best?
>>
>>3403127
All of your responses give off a heavy vibe of "I've never been laid". Go ahead and think you're a genius who thought of this first. Go out and try to sell it to some brides and get back to us if it works or not.
>>
>>3403127
You would never do a boudoir shot on a wedding you pleb. It would be done days before or after, possibly weeks even after their honeymoon. Staging shots on a location takes time. Weddings move quick with set deadlines.

If you don't know what you're talking about, then be willing to listen to people that do, and accept that you don't know everything.
>>
>>3403037
You're selling a service. You tend to provide samples of your work, showcasing typical expected quality. You have a contract that should cover issues and carrying insurance is smart. If you deliver a product that isn't fitting of the quality you showcased, a case could be made you misrepresented your work. It would most likely be handled in small claims since if you're charging a few K like I do, you wouldn't be worried about being sued, you stand behind your work from years of experience.

Whats worse than having to issue refunds or go to small claims, is the negative feedback, loss of potential clients, bad word of mouth, negative reviews, etc.

All that aside, you'd have to live with ruining someone's special moments.

Don't shoot a wedding unless you understand the requirements, have the equipment to do it right, and trust your own work. If you're unsure of yourself, find a pro photog who will let you shadow him, help with lighting, listen to them, watch them, write down what they do, learn the trade first so you don't fuck it all up cuz you only watched a few YouTube videos about weddings and got a entry level dslr with a kit lens.
>>
>>3403142

>have the equipment to do it right
>help with lighting

Is it typical that wedding photographers light their subjects? I was under the impression most wedding photography was all ambient light except for staged portraits.
>>
>>3403152
Bring a flash or two. Doesn't hurt to be prepared
>>
>>3403166

Would a small bounce flash generally be sufficient?
>>
>>3403169
Depends on the venue. Ask if you can after the walk through the day before the actual ceremony so you can check out the lighting condition.
>>
>>3403181
*Attend the walk through
>>
>>3402984

Oh mein gott.
>>
>>3403152
When needed yes, high end, high budget shoots often employ 2-3 photogs.

There typically is a rehearsal before the wedding. Its typical for the photog to want to attend this. It gives you a chance to walk the venue, hear the schedule more, plan with the bride and groom where best to stand, pause spots, etc. You should be taking test shots to check lighting, i write down the settings for different moments as I only shoot full manual with manual focus and manual aperture primes.

I tend to only use my flash at the after party or in the evening. You need higher speed shutter to capture moving subjects and id rather use a bounce when needed (often hand held with a soft box for portraits), in large venues with high ceilings and dim light a bounce can be very helpful. They also have AF assist if you use AF lenses, will help the lens still focus in dim lighting.
>>
>>3403233
I forgot to elaborate too, on the rehearsal day, you should get as many B roll shots as possible. Take pics of the venue, close ups, the items around the venue, the pews, inside, outside, etc, take your time, stay longer if you need, come back for a cool dawn or dusk shot to get the golden hour. These shots all are harder when you're focused on the main wedding and you should be putting thought into those slower setting bits. It can often really help boost your package you deliver without really increasing workload since its easy to edit a pic of a piano or something but takes more time to edit skin and main shots that need more than just Lightroom, but a trip to Photoshop too.
>>
>>3403142
>>3403166
>>3403181
>>3403233
>>3403236

Thanks, anon. This is some really useful advice. I appreciate it.
>>
>>3403233
I said it's typical to attend the rehearsal, but its actually more like mandatory. You'll look bad if you didn't. Its basically expected of the photog to attend this as part of the cost.
>>3403237
No problem man. Weddings are rough, it takes a lot more work than some expect. If you want to pursue wedding photography, do a lot of portraits and small events first, shadow someone, trust your work and charge adequately. Anyone charging under 800$ for a shoot shouldn't be doing a wedding. 800-2k is typically fair if you are competent. My last wedding I did for 1200, 3 hours of time on rehearsal, 6 hours on wedding day. Edit time. File storage costs.

A friend of mine had hired some photogs for his wedding for 400$. They showed up with a camera worth 1/4th of that and had no idea what they where doing. It was so cringe and disheartening. I went and got my camera gear and shot it for free. They still took photos but the only ones my friend ever posted where mine. At one point one photog said to me "I don't know how to zoom in on my images"

DONT BE LIKE THAT. Weddings are tough but rewarding. Though very annoying at times and as I said before, corporate events are way easier money but not as good portfolio material i spose.
>>
>>3403241

How many weddings a year does a typical wedding photographer pull in a top 10 metro area do you think?
>>
>>3402151
>>3402615
>>3402910
>he says as though literal heroin addicts and domestic abusers don't get women all the time
>>
I got roped into doing people's weddings when I bought my first dslr. gradually learned to do it good. Started doing it professionally at weekends. Got fucking sick of it, not enough money for all the hours and responsibility. Now I do it as a second shooter so I just flip the primary photographer the memory card and that's the end of my involvement.
>>
Having to put up with bridezillas and/or overbearing parents that want to steal the spotlight every couple of gigs makes it totally NOT worth it.
>>
>>3403251
Varies man... Some beat the streets and shoot 2-3 a month during the busy season if scheduled out right. More than that would be hard since most weddings are on weekends, limits how many u can literally do. At around 1500 each. Its not too bad.

Unless u do it like >>3403345 and drastically under charge for your work which makes it unviable. U can't shoot weddings at 200-500 bucks. Nor should u ever shoot a wedding with your first ever dslr...
>>
>>3403378
>Unless u do it like >>3403345 and drastically under charge for your work which makes it unviable. U can't shoot weddings at 200-500 bucks. Nor should u ever shoot a wedding with your first ever dslr..

Nothing wrong with doing that as long as you're honest and point out to your friend/colleague that you're no professional and they can't expect pro results. .
>>
>>3402984
I think she may want some intimate photos of her being bent over by the best man too, or a daisy chain of she and the bridesmaids.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.