[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 131 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

All work safe boards are now on the 4channel.org domain. Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

There's now a setting option under Navigation to display the full list of boards on 4channel.org

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

File: you-stupid-meme-20443.jpg (23 KB, 600x412)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
Stupid questions that need no extra thread. Post them here and get enlightened.
Last Thread >>3386761
>>
>>3397139
Can one milk a certain location indefinitely when it comes to photography?
I never took photos out of a 20 km range.
t. travel-let
>>
Why does everyone bitch about the trends when they are weak and always give into them?
>>
>>3397178
one day it would only become masturbation, but why not?

there are plenty stuff you can experiment within a 20km range

>>3397191
trends are trends and trends sucks. but people can see how to milk it.
>>
File: Panning (1 of 1).jpg (535 KB, 1080x720)
535 KB
535 KB JPG
I tried my hand at panning, question is regarding crop, should I crop it that there is more space in the direction my subject is running or crop it with more space behind him?
I feel the running into space works better.

>>3397178
I stay in Cape Town and every day I see the same old photos of Table Mountain on my Instagram with hundreds of likes (thousands if you get reposted by some travel site) and it just gets so tiring, but after saying that if you plan on shooting different things then yeah you could get a lot out of your town/city. Go to festivals/hikes/demonstrations/night life and so on.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 80D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 7.3.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.8
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2018:11:27 06:28:21
Exposure Time1/40 sec
F-Numberf/11.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/11.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePartial
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length50.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
What would /p/ recommend for home-printing (printer & photo paper, mainly)?
Is printing your own photos at home more cost-effective than bringing your SD card to a photo kiosk?
>>
>>3397529
>demonstrations/night life
Nah, I like my gear kept intact.
>>
I'm using a tripod as a lightstand with a large softbox, and speedlight bowens s type adapter. The adapter itself is fine but it made to go onto a lightstand rather than a thread, I have a tripod thread adapter inside it, and since it is single thread, my softbox always spins in a circle with mild wind.

How do I stop this? Adapter with two threads and plate with two screws?

Or just go light stand route (used to have them).

I figure a tall light stand is going to be heavier than my tripod for the same effective height, and falls over easier, and doesnt work well on non-flat surfaces, eat foot as to be level.

Tripod can stick legs futher out a little so it doesnt fall over, or use hook to hang bag on, and can also adjust legs for different heights at each foot.

What do?
>>
>>3397630
Not saying you should go to war torn Darfur or take pictures while moshing to black metal.

I meant more in this vein:
Light trails on the highway. Skyline at night. Your QT3.14 friend who secretly likes you and would love if asked her to take pictures of her with her torn jeans and sunglasses at night.
>>
>>3397615
>Is printing your own photos at home more cost-effective than bringing your SD card to a photo kiosk?
Almost never, but it’s more convenient, and there’s a lot to be said for that.

I don’t actually have a printer recommendation. I use an Epson I picked up at a thrift store.
>>
File: Example.jpg (2.41 MB, 1920x1278)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB JPG
How do I know if a lens is broken or if it's just a characteristic of the lens and it not being able to resolve detail as well as I'd like?

I went out and took some photos today but 90% of them seem like focus is missed, detail is missing and the photos just seem unclear in general.
I'm using a D7500 and a Tamron SP 17-50mm f/2.8.
Here's an example picture of what I mean, picture is unclear, seems like it missed focus or I maybe moved, but I was using single point AF and had a very steady position so I doubt I moved a whole lot. I've got a whole lot of pictures like these where nothing seems to be in focus, and especially in more crowded scenes (forest with a million leaves and branches everywhere) it gets even worse.

Is this just me being shit, or is the problem the lens?

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D7500
Camera SoftwareNIKON D7500 Ver.1.00
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)57 mm
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2018:11:27 13:37:10
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length38.00 mm
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>3397206
I didn't say they can't milk it. I'm saying if you milk it shut the fuck up about bitching about it. One or the other
>>
>>3397139
Hey /p/ this is probably a stupid question, but thats what this thread is for. I was wondering which is better for wildlife a

24mp full frame, or a 24mp apsc sensor.
Also is 36mp full frame equivalent to a 24mp apsc?
Also Sony A7ii or A7r?

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS3 Windows
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2013:05:21 20:11:06
Image Width1200
Image Height1863
>>
Sony rx100 iii brand new is on ebay right now for $478, decent price? On amazon new is more than $600
>>
>>3397728
Well better question is, is it a scam?
>>
>>3397726
Full frame gives better image quality. Crop is almost as good but much lighter and smaller for the same field of view. Neither is 100% better than the other; you have to pick your preferred trade off.

Get the a7 ii over the a7r unless you really need the extra resolution for something (which you probably don’t). Image stabilization will help you with more photos than extra pixels.
>>
How much would you sell an average used Canon EOS 5D but in good condition for?
>>
>>3397746
They’re going for like $300 on keh. Did you get the mirror fixed, or is it a ticking timebomb?
>>
>>3397139
Been on /pol/ and /fit/ for about 2 years but Just now checking out /p/ do you guys discuss videography too, or just photography?
>>
>>3397751
we sure do /vid/ >>3389150
>>
>>3397751
I mostly browse /fit/, but I find /p/ really comfy. Note this is a much slower board than either of those.
>>
Under which lighting do eyes look the brightest?
Trying to bring out the colour of the eyes for portraits.
Editing is possible on this but I prefer the natural way.
>>
File: 1490882929562.gif (1.53 MB, 500x375)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB GIF
I've got a d5200 and a macbookpro2012

How can I set up onionskinning for stopmotion?
>>
>>3397839
Make sure you have a reflector bouncing back at them. Even then youll need to edit.
>>
>>3397748
Mirror is fixed. Took it in and they said it's good to sell
>>
>>3397681
You are using a normal focal length at 1/60 of a second in this short according to your EXIF. Bump that up to at least 1/125 or something, 1/250 and above should get rid of essentially all shake. It’s really probably only that.
>>
>>3397681
Find a well lit subject and try the 1/400's - 1/800's ss range.
Tighten that motherfucker up on tripod and use a 2 second timed shutter.

If that doesn't fix it up then nothing will.
>>
>>3397933
>>3398047
Alright, thanks for the tips. I'll try and make another trip to where I took these photos to get comparisons.

I believe I was in P mode for most of it just as a test, and auto-ISO was turned off so shutter speed in that particular situation didn't go higher. Maybe if I up the ISO it would let me go with a faster shutter speed.

I'll bring the tripod as well and do the delayed shutter thing, but it is looking like I might be at fault here.
>>
>>3397839
>Under which lighting do eyes look the brightest?
Under continuous light.

Makes the pupil restrict, exposing more of the iris.
Ring lights are a classic, and many of them have a modeling light which you can keep om, to give the eyes some time to adjust and shrink the pupil.
>>
How do you upload from your computer to your Instagram?
>>
>>3398613
Easiest to just put them on google drive/Dropbox or whatever and access the files from your phone

There are probably solutions to do it direct from PC but I’ve never bothered
>>
When I want to take a picture of a 15-20 m large object from about 1000m distance with an APS C sensor, what kind of focal length do I need?
>>
>>3398622
I already do that. They say the quality is better if you do it through the computer
>>
>>3398626
Who’s ‘they’?

I can’t see why you’d care too much about quality, everyone’s viewing them in minuscule resolution on their phones anyway
>>
Any A73 owners know if there's a way to silence the BEEP sound when focusing? I've found silent mode but that seems to be only silent shutter as I still hear the focus beeps everytime.
>>
>>3398628
...it improves the quality viewing on their phone numbnuts.
>>
>>3398631
Menu -> Camera settings 2 -> Audio signals
>>
>>3398635
Thanks a lot.
>>
>>3398632
D i m i n i s h i n g. R e t u r n s
>>
>>3397139
how to get late 90s early 2000s picture grain aesthetic
>>
what separates a proper flash from chinkshit flashes?
what about older flashes vs newer flashes
I guess my question is, what makes a good flash stand out from a bad one
>>
>>3398644
shoot film
>>
File: IMG_20181129_150257.jpg (1.33 MB, 3072x4096)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB JPG
Can I mount a Minolta MD lense on my Sony A camera ?

Camera ModelASUS_Z00LD
Equipment MakeASUS
Sensing MethodUnknown
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)0 mm
Image Width3072
Image Height4096
Image Created2018:11:29 15:02:57
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
ISO Speed Rating580
Exposure ProgramNot Defined
Exposure Time1/24 sec
Exposure Index319
Focal Length3.78 mm
Metering ModeAverage
Gain ControlUnknown
Exposure Bias314577.6 EV
Image Height4096
Brightness-21474836.5 EV
Image Width3072
Exposure ModeAuto
Lens Aperturef/2.0
Time (UTC)14:02:57
Date (UTC)2018:11:29
>>
>>3398747
Nope. Mount is completely incompatible. You CAN, however, mount it on an E mount (Sony mirrorless) camera with an adapter.
>>
noobie and brainlet here,

So I just got a new lens, the Olympus M.Zuiko 25mm f1.8. Does this lens not have a zoom function? The standard kit lens that I have has a basic zoom function, but this new lens doesn't seem to have that turn zoom.
>>
>>3398884
Notice how your kit lens have a range of, say 12-35mm and this lens has only one value - 25mm. It means that this one won't zoom, it will stay 25mm. It's called prime lens and while it does not have zoom, it also has some advantages over the zoom lenses. There's enough info on the Internet about prime lens vs zoom lens differences.

It's a great lens, also the focal length of 25mm on your camera will give an universal field of view, so you can really try variety of styles and themes with it. You just have to give it some time to shine for few weeks, there's a good chance you won't go back to your kit lens.
>>
>>3398906
Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation! I'm already liking it more than the kit lens.
>>
>>3398912
I already know alot of the pros/cons of prime/zoom.

But I'd be really interested if you wouldn't mind sharing some personal observations about your experiences with it
>>
File: sony[1].jpg (79 KB, 2795x743)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
Any Sony-shooters around?

Has anyone used KARWY to fix their RAWs?

>http://aggregate.org/DIT/KARWY/
>KARWY (pronounced car-we) is a free program, soon to be fully open source, that credibly repairs visible artifacts in Sony ARW2 raw files and wraps the resulting raw data in an uncompressed DNG.
>>
Who are your favorite Instagrammers? I'm looking for new people to follow.
>>
>>3399611
I've neither seen artifacting nor pixel striping (which this guy also has a fix for) in any of my raw files.
>>
>>3400002
@glazedaspic
>>
>>3400002
>chosis7
This guy is pretty good if you're into instagram.
>>
H-how do I edit for that disposable film cam color like Huji and Gudak?
I unironically love those filters' color
>>
>>3400042
Best thing since Dan Lacey.
>>
>>3400049
That's OK. I don't find the streets of Erie and Pittsburgh interesting.
>>
>>3400055
>>3400049
>>3400002
Are you you're own best friend now chosis? Fuck off. And say hello to the voices; mention suicide to them, eh?
>>
>>3400049
fill in the blanks, dickhead
c_ _ _ _ _, y_ _ n_ _ _ t_ f_ _ _ o_ _
>>
>>3400101
>Could you not finance orangutans
>>
I picked up a used Canon EOS Rebel XSi and the flash is completely stuck closed
The flash button does nothing, and I can't even pry it open, the button doesn't seem to release the flash at all.
What do?
>>
>>3400121
Learn to live without on-camera flash. You’ll get better pictures that way anyway.
>>
File: chosis.jpg (208 KB, 1080x1080)
208 KB
208 KB JPG
>>3400049
Why don't you leave this board, you schizophrenic coward? Posting here clearly doesn't help your photography or your exciting career in board game shop shelf stacking in the slightest.
>>
>>3400121
You *are* pressing the button from *both* sides, yes?
>>
What's the point of EVF if you have a big live view screen you can zoom in on?
>>
>>3400284
you can also zoom in on the evf, plus you get the added stability of holding the camera against your face
>>
>>3398624
500mm should do it
>>
>>3400284
Brightness, picture quality and focus evaluation. Lcd screen will be invisible in bright sunshine, and you won't be able to see what's in focus as well on it as on evf.
Now, know that there is a huge difference between cheap evf and quality evf. Some pnshoot and entry level mirrorless evf's are basically just small lcd screens with bad refresh rates. You won't even be able to asses for sure what's in focus without different tools. G5, A7III, is usually where you need to go to get really quality ones, for midrange I think only em10ii is in that category. Now with the next gen mirrorless from canon and expecially nikon, you start to see some really special stuff. Z7's is practically brilliant in the night.
>>
What does the "be there" mean in f8 and be there?
>>
>>3400349
You know where the interesting picture is happening?

There. Be there.
>>
>>3400352
oh okay thanks
>>
>>3400349
Could I get more context on this quote?
>>
>>3400535
It's an old-school response to people who used to worry a lot about gear and specific camera settings. It means that it's more important to show the fuck up and take the fucking picture than it is to sit at home worrying that your gear isn't good enough or stand on the sidelines dicking around with your exposure values when you should be trying to actually get the shot.

I.e., don't worry about the technical details, don't worry about having a fast lens and getting tack sharp focus, just take whatever camera you have, set it to an aperture where things are pretty much in focus through the frame, and go to where the photography is.

More than a little outdated in the modern era with autofocus and autoexposure and such, but the core idea that you should put yourself into positions where you're more likely to get a good picture is sound.
>>
When I'm looking through the viewfinder, am I supposed to keep the other eye open?
>>
>>3401027
You can do whichever is most comfortable for you. Keeping your left eye open (assuming a right eye shooter) allows you to also see your surroundings which can be an advantage in certain situations.
>>
File: 000118950007.jpg (755 KB, 1545x1024)
755 KB
755 KB JPG
Newfag to film photography here, I got my 2nd roll shot off a SRT 101 developed and scanned and this is the 2nd time I got this issue.

Now I know that the shutter tends to not close completely at exposures longer than 1/60 if I don't exercise the shutter and I have some frames that show that but I can't explain the empty spaces at all. There were 7 frames in this roll that weren't affected by this issue and the 1st frame seems to have a very unusual light leak/double exposure that I will post promptly.

Is it just me being retarded with my hands and not loading the film correctly? Or is it an issue in the advancing mechanism itself?

Equipment MakeNORITSU KOKI
Camera ModelEZ Controller
Camera SoftwareEZ Controller 6.50.008 (160222)
Image Width1545
Image Height1024
>>
File: 000118950025.jpg (950 KB, 1545x1024)
950 KB
950 KB JPG
Weird double exposure/light leak

Equipment MakeNORITSU KOKI
Camera ModelEZ Controller
Camera SoftwareEZ Controller 6.50.008 (160222)
Image Width1545
Image Height1024
>>
>>3401146
Did you get the negatives back? if so the frame on the negative should be half black which means the shutter has gotten stuck halfway. But this looks like a scanning mistake

>>3401147
This is normal for the first shot on the roll. I usually advance an extra frame to avoid getting pics like this
>>
>>3397139
Please do me a favor and DOWNVOTE THIS STUPID FUCK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLmMg9d8h0U
>>
File: negatives.jpg (558 KB, 2016x1134)
558 KB
558 KB JPG
>>3401155
No I haven't the negatives from this roll in particular back yet, but I do have negatives from the first roll which has the same problem.
>>
X-Trans or Bayer sensor,which is better?Trying to decide between fuji x100 and x100f
>>
>>3401171
The F is better than the first gen in pretty much every way, that's not a decision you should be making based on the filter layout. If you have the money for the F then get it, the first gen is what people get when they compromise because they're poor.
>>
Okay I'm going to say it ...What the fuck is grey market.
>>
>>3401162
>ifunny
>/r/yiff
>ken blockhead
>>
I know this gets asked 20 times a day, no need to tell me.

What camera could I buy for maximum 200€ that will take better photos than an iPhone 8? Willing to buy used off Ebay.

I'm not a professional, nothing like that, I just want to take better photos, but I'm on a budget and don't want to spend more. If no such camera exists for this budget then I understand, but I keep seeing here that "anything is better than a phone camera".
>>
I'm about to buy a sony alpha a6300 for dirt cheap(I think the guy selling it stole it). I have only used cannon 5dm3 and Panasonic cameras.

Can anyone tell me how this camera will btfo the others? Amazon reviews are good but I'm looking for anon reviews
>>
>>3401460
The a6300 will not be nearly as good as a 5D Mark III.
>>
>>3401460
Shouldn't see much of a difference really. It's got better sensor that 6000, but is still lacking ibis, something that now even fuji has fully accepted. But mainly, no lenses.
>>
>>3401458
For example, original Canon EOS-M kit. Or any dslr or mirrorless kit from last 10 years which fits in your budget.
>>
>>3401506
Checked out the EOS-M and seems to be within budget if I buy used.

How does the EOS-M compare to the M100? For about 50 dollaroos more I could buy that.
>>
Whats a decent ball head mount that will hold with a Rebel T6 with a 75-300
I was going to get a cheap one but reviews said they don't lock well with large lenses
Seems like options are <$30 or >$120 with nothing in between and I really don't want to spend $100 on a ball mount
>>
>>3401591
Triopo NB-2S should be about $60. I've got a 3S (about $80) that has served me well for 7 years and has held things much heavier than what you want to mount on it (it has a 12kg load rating, the 2S is rated at 8kg so will still be plenty for you).
>>
>>3401596
thanks but not available anywhere i can find in the US
>>
>>3401599
Third Google result

https://www.cowboystudio.com/product_p/nb-2s%20tripodhead.htm
>>
>>3401540
>M100
Google it. Moar megapickles, tilty screen, internal flash, wifi & bluetooth and whatever they have done with autofocus and usability during years.

I think for lowest possible price EOS-M kit is great value, but if you can use more or hunt for deals, there is huge pile of potentially better dslr and mirrorless alternatives from most major brands. Do few hours of research.
>>
>>3397139
I have old Nikon glass, it's fine with film, but horrible in my D3100 viewfinder.
Thinking of upgrading to D7xxx. Anyone tried manual focus on one of those? Does the pentaprism make a big difference?
>>
>>3401743
Just go ff, eg. a used D750 or even D610, they have much better vf (obviously) and you'd have a similar experience to the film camera. Manual focus is doable, but you could change the ground glass focusing screen in the vf to a split prism one. focusingscreen dot com has some. No affiliation.
>>
File: IMG_ (Large).jpg (359 KB, 1920x959)
359 KB
359 KB JPG
How could I have made this photo look better?
Is it a lighting problem, gear problem or am I using the wrong settings?

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 650D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.6 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.7
Image Created2018:12:06 00:10:05
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length135.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
File: IMG_(Large)_levels.jpg (380 KB, 1920x959)
380 KB
380 KB JPG
Here's with the levels adjusted. I'm really not sure if i'm doing processing well either.

I think the composition is ok (happy to hear advice on that also), but i'm really unhappy with the way the image looks in general and I don't know what to do about.

Any thoughts would be helpful, thanks.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.6 (Windows)
Image Created2018:12:05 22:18:14
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length135.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
File: dehaze.jpg (427 KB, 1920x959)
427 KB
427 KB JPG
>>3401753
Haze removal is what you want, darktable has a haze removal module since version 2.4.4. idk about other software, but should have something similar, if doesn't then just install darktable I think there's a windows version too.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera Softwaredarktable 2.4.4
Image Created2018:12:05 14:52:24
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length135.00 mm
Image Width1920
Image Height959
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>3401822
ops, I went to far with the dehazing and created hallows on the trees and only noticed after posting, I hate hallows, anyway don't go too far with the dehazing or else hallows happen.

I think I should find a better technique to handle fog that is less susceptible to artifacts.
>>
Is Fujifilm X-T1 is still relevant?Compared to something like X-T20 or X-E3.If not what are the downsides?
>>
In Capture One
>>3401004
>>3401800

Anyone can help?
>>
>>3401830
Biggest downside of the X-T1 for me is just that if you use shutter-button autofocus, it won’t let you take two shots in a row without refocusing unless you have it in continuous fire mode. So if you like to double-tap when shooting pictures of people to double your chances of getting a shot where they aren’t blinking, it’s frustrating.

This isn’t an issue if:
1. You don’t do that
2. You use back-button autofocus
3. You’re okay with always having it in continuous fire mode

Everything else about the X-T1, I pretty much love. It’s an amazing little camera. Very well-designed.
>>
>>3397139
How do you get the film out of a 135 cannister if the end isn't sticking out without breaking the cannister?
>>
File: IMG_(Large)1 (1).jpg (434 KB, 1920x959)
434 KB
434 KB JPG
>>3401822
thanks man that's really helpful. I didn't have that slider on the version of lightroom i have so i got darktable and it works well.

This is as far as I think I can take it before it starts looking unreal.

Equipment MakeCanon
Image Created2018:12:06 04:26:44
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length135.00 mm
Image Width4790
Image Height2392
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
File: IMG_(Large)1 (2).jpg (494 KB, 1920x959)
494 KB
494 KB JPG
>>3401822
This is another instance of haze removal and it think in many ways it makes the image look better, but it also starts to detract from it, take away detail, and look like less like a photo, especially the water and especially at higher res.
I'm guessing the next step would be to make masks/layers and edit parts of the photo seperately? I'd love to be able to do something with the top of the image for example, like how it looks in your edit, with bright colours.

I really have no idea about any of this stuff.
Also im curious if there's something I could have done aside from shoot with more interesting light or get a better camera to have a better image before processing.

Equipment MakeCanon
Image Created2018:12:06 04:41:12
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length135.00 mm
Image Width4790
Image Height2392
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>3401830
Cameras don't lose their relevancy all that quickly. People are used to tech becoming outdated after a year or two but the truth is mirrorless cameras from 2011 on and DSLRs from way before that are still great now.

The X-T1 is still a great camera in my opinion, especially as a cheap way to have a weather sealed camera to use in the rain or snow without worrying. Provided you can afford the weather resistant lenses (sky high Fuji lens prices are probably the biggest drawback) you can't go wrong.
>>
>>3401861
It's pretty far down in LR, but in any case push the exposure a bit and remove color fringing
>>
File: Capture.jpg (19 KB, 250x321)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>3401866
I think it's just not on 5.6 at all.
>color fringing
Is there a specific part of the image where i should focus on? Because I'm not sure what i'm addressing with this and the sliders don't seem to do much.

Sorry I realise I don't know what I'm doing at all and I should probably just go and read a lot of stuff/ watch some tutorials.

PhotographerOwner
>>
>>3401871
uhh I'm not sure, I usually just click "remove chromatic aberration" and it auto does it
>>
>>3401871
>>3401874
Also it's really obvious here, if the auto option isn't good enough just zoom in there and fuck around until the magenta and green parts disappear
>>
>>3401878
oh ok, i see the difference it makes now. The auto does improve it but not completely. Man I need some new glasses my eyesight is not the best. I'll experiment to get it better later, i have to go, anyway thanks for your help i really appreciate it.
>>
>>3401882
No worries anon, you definitely need good glasses for editing though. I was putting it off for years because I hate wearing shit on my head/face and my eyesight was good enough for daily activities, but when I finally got glasses it made me regret not getting them a LOT sooner.
>>
>>3401864
Darktable has an excelent drawn and parametric masking functionality under "blend" on each module, and yes, very useful to use with haze removal.
As for the lighting, I usually use the granulated density, shadows and highlights, and global tonemap modules together with parametric and drawn masks, messing with the base curve also does wonders,.
>>
>>3401865
Thanks,that's what I was trying to confirm ,if the differences are marginal maybe it would make more sense to go with an older model.It's just in another thread people discussed x-trans sensors and it seems that the latest version has some advantages other than resolution.

I'm really interested if there's a difference in color between x-e3, x-t20, x-t2
they all share the same sensor so is it wrong to assume that the color reproduction is same or is there some kinda juice they add to firmware?
Oh and weather sealing is what stood out to me.Would I be screwing myself going in the rain without a weather sealed lens?

>>3401845
That's good to know.Thanks. Street wasn't my primary focus, but it's something I also would like to try so yea... that does sound annoying.For stills I should get away with using a manual lens, right?
>>
What are some good photography books?
>>
>>3402039
https://www.reddit.com/r/photography/wiki/index#wiki_recommended_photography_books
>>
>>3402039
download the /p/ photobook dump (all PDFs), there's some gems and classics in here.
https://mega.nz/#F!3x8nRJyJ!0kFwIyw-RLetCw1-CUbLgg
>>
>>3402045
>reddit

>>
>>3402039
/p/ approved reading list
https://archive.nyafuu.org/p/thread/3323007/#q3323007
reddit vade retro
>>
>>3401859
You can get tools to do it, the ones they use to pull out the exposed film after it's been rewound. I imagine it would be fairly easy to diy something too, like bend a tiny hook into the end of a paperclip, poke it through the slit, then try and grab hold of one of the sprocket holes.
>>
>>3402063
Reddit's not that bad, it's got stuff that need to be added to that list. It's just extremely portrait centric.
>>
>>3402082
And I'd avoid Duchemin and Ang. One can be really good photographer and write like crap, and the reverse is also possible. I'd say Ben Long is one of those. Now Ang will consider his reader for a kid that's better not taught too much. He'll throw techniques and tidbits in that are all sound and logical, but he'll not expand on them and explain them fully. Duchemin is just classical rambler. He'll talk and talk about his images like they're some holly grail, while omitting absolutely every technical aspects of making them.
>>
File: deviant art 2018 dec.png (417 KB, 1361x632)
417 KB
417 KB PNG
why is shit like this even legal
>>
>>3401162
lol
>>
>>3401027
If you use a viewfider with a seperate focus dial, you can use this as a way to find the ideal setting.

Zoom the image to the point where both images in your free eye and used eye overlap neatly and form a single image like with normal sight.
Fiddle with the viewfinder focus dial until you reach a point where both eyes have the least strain to overlap what they see.
>>
Just fucked up

I did a wedding shoot and when I go to copy inside sd card all files are corrupted

Is there any tip to fix?
>>
>>3402242
What do you mean by corrupted? Have you been using this sdcard before?
>>
I'm looking for a cheap digital camera that has the super 8 film/vhs look to the videos, don't want to do it in post but storage wise want the camera to accept sd cards, what cameras do this?
>>
>>3402320
Literally anything pre-2005
>>
>>3402045
>>3402052
>>3402063
>>3402087

Thank you anons! Looking through these now.
>>
What are the pros and cons of using program shift vs aperture priority?
>>
>love shooting pictures
>hate post processing
>leave pictures on cam forever because I don't want to process them
>everything posted online is heavily edited
>considering selling digital stuff again and going back to snapshitting film
Makes me feel bad, what do
>>
>>3402572
Are you >>3402540?
If you’re not doing it for money, just use whatever is enjoyable to you. If it means more shooting and less pixel-pushing, go for it and never look back.
>>
>>3402572
If you really cant get to like post processing use picture profiles and get whitebalance and exposure right in camera. You wont use the sensor to its full potential this way but at least you will get usable pictures.

If this still isnt the way you like it you may really consider shooting film again. If you dont have one anymore just get one (they arent that expensive i guess) and take a break from digital. See what you like more.
>>
File: MdtjlGu-2 (1).jpg (39 KB, 430x492)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>3402572
Get into serious archiving of your photography then. Personally i spent a solid 40h just reorganising all photos of/about/by me from my birth to now (around 10k+ photos) just timestamping and renaming them.

This way you can then add future photosets easily with a proper time stamp, and then cherrypick photos to pp when bored.

All you are doing now is adding chaos to your futute mess to clean up.
>>
File: index.jpg (109 KB, 1280x960)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>3397139
I'm going to Africa and going on a safari in 2 weeks. I bought a Sony a6000 and need a longer lens I guess for wildlife. Is the 70-200 f4 good for this? I think it may be versatile enough to be worth it.
>>
Won a gopro at in a raffle at work. Is it at all useful for shooting street due to its size?
10MP, 10fps burst shooting, can't shoot RAW.
>>
>>3402769
Isn't it a video camera for recording you doing stupid shit while mounted on your body?
If you want to take photos, sell it and buy a real photo camera.
>>
File: Wind Power.jpg (166 KB, 665x1000)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
>>3402784
It's an action camera for video but it shoots stills as well and it's really compact. Figured it may be somewhat useful for street, which I've never done before and don't want to invest in if I don't end up enjoying it.
I have an SLR that I use for wildlife and other stuff but it's too bulky to take out on the street.

Equipment MakeRICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Camera ModelPENTAX K-3
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.3 (Windows)
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)82 mm
Image Created2016:01:29 19:32:42
Exposure Time1/320 sec
F-Numberf/16.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/16.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length55.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeDistant View
>>
>>3402790
>K-3
>Too bulky for streets
It's really not
>>
Hey guys I've been wondering what service you use to store photos online. I've been using google photos but I've heard they take a hit to quality. So, I'd like to hear what you use and why.

Thank you.
>>
>>3397746
>How much would you sell an average used Canon EOS 5D but in good condition for?

i just picked up a clean 5D with 6 batteries / 2 chargers and a 32gb CF card for $325 shipped on ebay

i was looking for a while before i bought one and they ranged from $275 for a kind of rough example with an unknown shutter count to around $400 for a really minty one. $300 was about average
>>
Using a Sony Battery grip on a Sony A7 using strictly only Sony batteries and charger. I'm getting a incompatible battery issue.

Does anyone know why and how to fix
>>
>>3403226
Do the batteries work fine in the camera? If so my guess would be a broken connection in the grip, the power connections are fine (because otherwise you wouldn't get an error message) but there's a data connection as well (the middle pin). First thing to do would be to try cleaning the external connections, if that doesn't work then it means disassembling the grip.
>>
some asshole stole my DNS as soon it expired and he's charing an amount of money that I'm not willing to pay

making yourself a DNS without your name is ok?
>>
Are CCDs still advantageous over CMOS sensors?
I really want to do night time photography, but I'm not sure if I still need to worry about the high noise when trying to take pictures with a CMOS camera in low light
>>
>>3403261
For some high performance imaging applications where cost is no matter, yes modern CCD still has advantage over CMOS.

For photographer with limited pockets, CCD has no advantage over modern CMOS. If you are starting, get a good tripod and use the sensor you have with you.

(If you cant get a low light exposure with acceptable noise, take shitload of exposures and stack em like astrophotographers do.)
>>
File: 41cqnVEZ-4L._SY450_.jpg (24 KB, 351x450)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
Alright so I just bought this super expensive camera that was on sale for basically nothing, a samsung wb101, the thing seems to be a gamble every time I take an image, half the time, I get a really damn good photo, the other half of the time it looks like crap, I've tried the P mode and setting stuff up myself, I've tried smart mode, I've tried setting up the flash manually, sometimes it likes you zooming in and keeping the flash on, other times its severely overexposed.
What am I doing wrong? Is this thing busted? Is it meant to do this???????? Could it just be the natural lighting being awful?
Sometimes half pressing the shutter to get it to focus, it doesn't even focus. It actually gets blurrier somehow, and I don't think theres a manual focus.
>>
>>3403366
>Expensive camera on sale for nothing
There's your answer. You cheaped out and cucked yourself.
Next time try a tried and true reputable cera manufacturer like Nikon/Canon/Sony/Pentax, etc.
>>
camera*
>>
how do i take photo
>>
>>3403366
>cell phone sensor shoved in a useless bulky body with meme zoom
You got ripped off. Bridge cameras are complete and utter shit. Return it if you can.
>>
>>3403366
Also it's not an expensive camera available for cheap, it's an old as shit camera that's available cheap everywhere because Samsung haven't made cameras for years. They left the market during early mirrorless era. Not to mention it's an old bridge camera so even more worthless. The old Samsung NX mirrorless cameras are still sought after and valuable today.

Looking at eBay there's tons of these cameras with no bids because it's total ass.
>>
>>3403261
No. Especially for low-light noise performance—one of the reasons for the switch to CMOS was that it had much less noise st higher ISO values. This has been compounded by about a decade of r&d going into making CMOS better while CCD was basically abandoned.
>>
stupid question but;
what the difference between the beginner thread and, lets say /rpt/? And what for makes someone a non beginner? Or the other way around, how does one spot a beginner?
>>
>>3403600
The beginner thread is for beginners.

The /rpt/ is for anyone, beginner or not, who's too much of a pussy, a sniveling little namby-pamby coward, a pansy-ass knee-shaking scared little DIAPER BABY to start their own photo thread like a GODDAMN MAN.

You're no longer a beginner when you've reached the point that you don't find yourself asking "Wait, am I a beginner?" anymore.
>>
>>3403600
Pretty sure that's the first beginner thread that we've ever had. I like the idea and hope it sticks.
There are no rules grasshopper. Post in whichever you preffer. If you've thick skin, and you've at least some ten photos to post, you're even encouraged to start your own thread. Just use your own logic.
>>
Can anyone help me figure out what these two mounts are?

Top is a Kiron 28mm f/2 and bottom is a Vivitar 135mm f/2.8

Image OrientationRight-Hand, Top
Image Width4032
Image Height3024
>>
>>3403619
Left is the Kiron, and Right is the Vivitar. The image wasn’t rotated in the gallery preview.
>>
>>3403622
The Kiron on the left looks like Canon FD (their old manual focus mount). Easy to spot because they used a weird breech lock mechanism instead of a bayonet like everyone else.

The vivitar is Minolta's old manual focus mount (variously called SR, MD, MC, and probably a few others). Which took me way too long to figure out given that it has fucking 'MIN' written right on it, but I guess my dumb ass had to verify it wasn't pentax or nikon before thinking to check that.
>>
>>3403619
Left is Canon FD and right is Minolta MC
>>
>>3403630
>>3403631
Thanks for the swift responses, mates.
>>
>>3400535
It goes back to a time before autofocus was around and everything was shot on film. Street photogs and photojournalist needed a way to focus quickly on their subjects and couldnt just use spray and pray. Since many used 35mm prime lenses the rule of thumb "f/8 and be there" was used. At f/8 on a 35mm lens focused at 17 feet will pretty much get everything from 9 feet to infinity relatively sharp.
>>
really specific question, but here goes. anyone here have any experience with the ef-m 11-22mm vs the sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6? i've got the sigma now and i'm thinking about replacing it with the canon
>>
>>3397529
pig disgusting man.

i could tell that was a canon blur before opening the exif.
>>
File: IMG-20181209-WA0001.jpg (78 KB, 1125x1008)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>3403619
Was almost about to say the left was Olympus' OM mount because I recognized those 2 little aperture mechanical controller tabs stick out.

That was until I saw the guide-flange ring is essentially inverted (in comparison to an actual OM mount, E-mount, or even the Minolta next to it.) I assume the older canon bodies had those 3 guide-ring flange runner-tabs on the body itself?
>>
Canon 6d plus extra ~600$ for a lens
Or
Canon 6d II (both used, but less than 10k pictures taken)
>>
How do you take a phenomenally awesome photo of someone who is in the middle of a puke?
Use flash or no flash?
>>
>>3403757
Having shot people puking multiple times, I can say that flash is good but you gotta get up close enough to smell the barf. And you can't be thinking about it for too long either, the middle-aged punk is going to stop throwing up any second.
>>
>>3403766
And the flash needs to be on too because people don't always puke at daytime
>>
File: dtree1.png (20 KB, 378x362)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
What software do you use to organize your photos and other digital media (videos, audios, etc)?
>>
File: 1543590516826.jpg (98 KB, 430x350)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
Not really a question but

>tfw prime in my country doesn't give me unlimited photo storage
Feels sad and bad man...

Then again Google offers me additional storage a bit cheaper than other countries so I'll just get 100gb for basically nothing plus free Flickr unless someone has suggestions
>>
Noob here. Why should I buy a separate flash, instead of using the one built into my camera?
>>
>>3404009
More powerful, wider coverage, doesn't use the camera's battery, potentially faster recycle time, can be bounced, easier to fit modifiers to. I'm not saying that you should buy a separate flash, just that these are some of the reasons why you may want to.
>>
File: 123.jpg (7 KB, 296x170)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
first time to /p/

want to get my sister a camera for christmas

budget is like £100-200

she took a photography class back in college, thats all I know of her skills

I know its a stupid thing to ask but I'd like it to be a good looking, small(handbag) and retro styled camera, kind of like pic related, I feel like she'd use it if she liked the look of it
>>
Buy a fucking 1TB ext. SSD and put everything on there, take it with you, with an adapter you can connect to your phone/tablet, show people/clients/send samples further.
Buy a 1TB ext. HDD with a backup clone of contents you keep at home and regularly keep synchronised as backup.

It'll cost less and afford more space than any premium cloud plan available after 2 months.
>>
>>3403976
>>3404048
Meant to quote together
>>
>>3404040
Probably the best you're going to get at that price is the Fuji X30. If you could increase the budget closer to £300 and don't need something retro looking then an RX100 III would be a much better camera. An RX100 II fits within your budget and is still a better camera than the X30, but has no EVF and a worse lens than the mark III.
>>
File: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (487 KB, 1772x1329)
487 KB
487 KB JPG
>>3404040
I'm assuming you're talking digital. Really hard finding something that'd fit that price point. Can't think of anything that would fit retro look in point and shoot cameras at that price range. I'd look at mirrorless and used e-pl's. I would not go lower than e-pl7 for that extra knob. I've seen bodies go for 200 pounds, you'll have to add another 50 for used lens, and you've competent base. You sacrifice viewfinder, but you'll have to do something at that price range to get detachable cam.
I'd ask sister first what she wants, no point spending 300 or more looking just for retro cams when she could be happier with some big dslr that you can get for 200.
>>
why are shutter speed and iso stops calculated by doubling/halving but aperture stops are multiplying/dividing by the square root of 2?
>>
>>3404040
Get her a Fuji Instax with 10 shots. Thots love Instax.
>>
>>3404082
>sensorlet
>>
>>3404040
only get if it's s or newer.
x100 is shit.
>>
>>3404122
For ISO the numbers where chosen and a linear scale just made sense, double the number and you double the sensitivity. For shutter speed and aperture that's just the way it works. Shutter speed is simple, double the exposure time and you let in twice as much light. For aperture increasing the diameter by the square root of 2 (if you didn't know the f/ number is the focal length divided by the diameter of the aperture) doubles the area.
>>
>>3404168
You can't even get a first gen X100 for that budget.
>>
>>3404168
lol no the x100 is not shit. It is a solid camera to learn on if you are serious about wanting to learn. So probably not a good choice for a woman. In the right hands it takes great photos. you can get them around 300-350 these days.
>>
My girlfriend is newly active in photography and I'm looking for a christmas present. Was thinking about a lens. She has one wide angle(?) or maybe just a normal and one she uses for portraits that make foreground/background blurry. What other lens types should be in a decent range of basic options? I'm not familiar with photography much but was thinking about something for low light (does that exist?) or a macro lens?
>>
>>3404358
Maybe a telephoto zoom. But without knowing what camera it is, we can't help more.
>>
Why are americans so bad at taking criticism?

>500px
>iphone shooter posts an image of 'flower' that is comprised of some cloth
>tell him to up his game
>he deletes the comment immediately
>>
>>3404387
>give shitty critique ("up your game") to someone not looking for critique
>comment gets deleted
>cry about it like a baby
This is how everyone else interprets the situation.
>>
>>3404365
I think its a canon d50. Gonna take a peek when shes in the shower tonight
>>
Is it okay to use compressed air on my lenses?
>>
>>3404358
The lens she uses for portraits is most probably a fast telephoto. If she does lots of portraits you could get her a detachable flash, an umbrella and some kind of stand. Umbrella and stand can be cheap, but don’t cheap out on the flash
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (7 KB, 300x300)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>3404432
No, it's way too strong and could scratch the lens. Use a blower bulb instead.
>>
File: flower.jpg (176 KB, 998x746)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
>>3404395
Not trying to dox your dad, but look at the masterpiece in question, and consider if it would be better left on his phone. Posted under macro, taken with iphone, and using bot to get few hundred likes and generic, WOW FANTASTIQUE SHOT MY DEAR FRIEND comments. Haven't even used my regular shittalk. I was just honestly appalled someone would even upload something like that, and told him he'd be better of using real flowers.
>>
>>3404358
What kind of cam is she using?
>>
>>3404505
>people were saying they liked his photo! Instead they should’ve been sucking MY dick because I told him it wasn’t good!
Whether or not his photo had merit is not really the question. The question is whether you’re a dick for telling him you didn’t like it.

Here on fourths channel, that’s expected. If he posted it in some sort of critique group, that’s expected. If he posted it asking specifically for people to tell him how he might improve, that’s expected.

If he just posted the picture without explicitly asking for critique, then no, you’re being a dick. He’s happy with his photo. Other people are happy with his photo. You popping in to say you don’t like it just makes you sound like an ass. You will never get praise for that behavior. You will never gain friends for that behavior. You will never even make someone change how they take pictures with that behavior—more likely they’ll just retreat into their own ego and assume you’re a complete ass, and they’ll be *right*. Regardless of how bad the photo is, you’re being a cock, and you need to recognize that and improve YOURSELF more than he needs to recognize any substandard quality on his photo that needs to be improved.

Like, look at how you responded to my critique of your actions that were both *requested* and *on 4chan* where that sort of response is the norm: you doubled down, implied that the only reason I was criticizing you was because I must be related to the photographer, and tried to justify it. Even here on 4chan, you’re not getting praise for your dickish actions; you’re mostly getting ignored, except for me trying to help you be a better person.

Good news, you’re anon. Here, you are always a clean slate. You can start from zero and not have to worry about this affecting your reputation at all. Go forth, and be less of a dick in the future.
>>
>>3404520
Wow, you sure are upset I bullied your dad... But no, it's not ok to post that trash and then use a bot and connections to up your likes. This exact behaviour killed countless sites before. It's pushing quality down, and is dishonest and down right dirty. Thanks to people like him, actually good photographers aren't getting exposure and confirmation for quality work.
>>
>>3404358
>>3404365
>>3404470
>>3404506
She is using a Nikon D80, I just checked.
I think its a Nikon DX VR lens. It says "AF-S NikkoR 18-105mm 1:3.5-5.6G ED" on the side.
Her other lens is some cheap chinese thing called Yongnuo Digital with "Hoya HMC UV(c) 50mm" printed on the side. I think that Chinese one is what she uses when she is doing blurred/focus shots which she likes when doing portraits.

I want to give her something that expands what she can do with the camera. Night or zoom in to something far away or maybe close-up. Wanna spend around 100-150 euros, thats $110 to $170.
>>
>>3404534
>Thanks to people like him, actually good photographers aren't getting exposure and confirmation for quality work.
You mean yourself, right? You’re angry that you, personally, aren’t getting enough praise for your photos? How much time do you spend searching out really good photos and praising them rather than bitching about photos you don’t think are good enough?

Try networking, try getting better at photography, and try not being so much of an ass.
>>
>>3404535
The Yongnuo lens is most likely a 50mm (the Hoya thing you mentioned is just a filter on the front).

So, with those two lenses, she has:
1. Normal zoom (ie, slightly wide to decent telephoto). Good for general photography in decent light.
2. Portrait/low light. That blurry/in focus effect is the result of a wide aperture, which is also what you need for low light.

So a few options for holes she doesn’t have filled (nudge nudge, wink wink):

A. Something wider-angle. Sigma makes a 10-22mm lens that would fit this bill, and used copies can be had within your budget. Make sure you get the Nikon mount version since Sigma produces lenses in multiple mounts.
B. Something more telephoto. You can get a Nikon 55-200 for well within your budget, and possibly the 70-300. Make VERY SURE you get the af-S version of you go for either of these and not the af-P version. AF-P won’t work in her camera.
C. If she does in fact have the Yongnuo 50mm as her portrait lens, it might be helpful to have a normal lens for low light shots that aren’t quite so tight. Yongnuo makes a 35/2.0 for around $100, or Nikon makes a 35/1.8 for a little more. Alternately, if what she has is already the 35, then a 50 or 85mm would be a good option.
D. You can go for something wacky and creative that she might like playing around with. Something like a Lensbaby will get her mocked here (don’t EVER EVER bring her here), but will give her pictures unique and different from any other lens and can be lots of fun.
>>
Why does live view histogram differ from the one on a just captured photo?
I had the histogram in live view enabled to avoid burned areas, it wasn't touching the far-right side.
But when I took the photo, there was a burned area in the sky.
What's the reason for this?
>>
>>3404505
he has 8000/50 follower following ratio, he deserves some bully
>>
>>3404562
I have this weird impression you spend more time comparing followers than actually taking pictures.
>>
>>3404548
What metering mode were you in? If centre weighted you can get some wild swings that might have caught you out, if matrix then idk, too much contrast in jpeg settings?
Unfortunately these things tend to be user error, histogram is derived from the displayed image.
>>
>>3404548
>>3404567
It should be noted that histograms are based off jpeg processing, so if you're shooting RAW you won't get a perfect match. Also if you have some sort of setting for the jpeg processing that decreases the exposure or increases dynamic range that could explain why it was showing no highlight clipping but you got some in the resulting photo (again, assuming you shot RAW).
>>
>>3404542
Keep projecting. 500px is good site for some general scouting, it's actually one with the tighter q controls. Quality is pretty high compared to some alternatives. It indeed is sad seeing crap being pushed up by boting, clogging up the veins of the system, at the same time there are some very good photographers on it that are getting some twelve likes for work or extreme quality.
>>
>>3404573
Yes, I shoot raw.
The histogram that's displayed afterwards, as well as blown-out highlights, are probably from the JPEG preview image.
>>
>>3404581
Yeah that could be it, I couldn't remember if the histogram shown on the taken shot was also using jpeg processing but I guess it could be. In that case though it should be the same as what you see during live view, so it's probably what the other guy said and the metering suddenly changed (although if you happened to be shooting in manual that would rule that out).
>>
>>3404547
Thanks a lot brother! I'm gonna shop around, you gave some really great advice. That's exactly what I needed!
>>
can someone comment on manual lens adaptation specifically nikon lens to canon body
>>
>>3405239
With manual focus lenses, Nikon lenses often work better on canon than on Nikon—a canon with an adapter can use pre-AI Nikon lenses and can meter with any lens that’s attached whereas you lose metering support on lower end Nikon bodies with manual focus glass.

Manually focusing is a bit rough—you can get a chipped adapter that will give you focus confirmation when you’re in focus, but it’s not great. Another option with most canon bodies is to get a replacement focusing screen with manual focus aids, assuming you have a steady hand and a little bravery to replace your focusing screen.

Older autofocus lenses work fine too. You only run into Problems when you get to Nikon G-series lenses, which don’t have a hardware aperture dial, but there are adapters available that work with those too. When you get up to the E-type autofocus lenses (aperture totally electronically controlled) and AF-P (focus-by-wire, no physical coupling between the focus dial and the focusing mechanism), you’re SOL for adapting them.

Any questions?
>>
Hello guys, does anyone know what kind of film could this be?
>>
>>3405364
slide film cross-processed
>>
>>3405382
I'll search this, thank you anon!
>>
File: Capture.png (514 KB, 460x459)
514 KB
514 KB PNG
>>3398613
ctrl + shift + m (works in chrome and mozilla I think) let's you enter phone mode which usually shows upload buttons n' stuff
>>
>>3405697
I fucked up, chrome assigned some other shortcut. Just open dev tools and do the same thing
>>
>>3405258
Yea I have a few general questions.
After doing a quick research regarding manual/adapted lenses on canon I'm getting mixed opinions some people don't recommend it at all,so how bad it is exactly?
Also I've heard that some adapted lenses can't reach infinity, so what's up with that?

The impression I'm getting that if it's not L glass I shouldn't bother because everything else is either in the same price range or some cheap garbage, and manual lenses probably won't be the answer either.So I can't really find a decent lens for a ff canon at all, neither old nor a new one.I don't wanna go with sony or fuji but I also don't want to shall out $400-500 for a used lens.
At least with a full frame nikon without any adapters I would be able to use pretty much any old nikkor lens and have AF too.
With E-mount or Fuji I would get focus peaking and greater lens selection, but not with Canon.

So now the question,does Canon even have affordable medium/wide angle lenses with fairly decent IQ for like $70-180(used)other than generic EF 50/1.8 stm?
If not, what kinda off-brand would be worth getting or what would be worth adapting for the same price?
>>
>>3397139
How does Chosis get the balls to take street photos so upclose of strangers? I have been looking through his work on his website and Instagram and I just can't imagine being that brave. Like I am scared to leave the house and hate going grocery shopping god forbid anyone actually tries to talk to me in public. How can i become braver? Also I am a 27 year old virgin if that helps explain things. I do have a waifu gf that i have been "dating" for 3 months and have held hands with a girl that was not my mom. (havn't kissed a girl yet) thanks /p/.
>>
What format were the M42 lenses made for? Are they able to cover full frame sensor or will they cause vignetting as if using APS-C lens on FF?
>>
>>3406553
They were designed for 35mm film
>>
Does using a mount adapter (in this case M42 to Fuji X) cause you to lose a stop or two of light?
>>
>>3406623
Nope. I use to use a M42 to EF-S then an EF-S to Fuji-X without a problem
>>
File: 8898.jpg (2.77 MB, 3160x2344)
2.77 MB
2.77 MB JPG
Is my point and shoot camera lens probably just plain sharper than my 28-300mm zoom lens?

Left: Kodak M863
Right: Canon 1D Mark II with Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6

I used some formulas to try to match the aperture and iso values.
>>
I'm looking for a cheap, entry level flash. Do any of these look decent?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sunpak-df4000u-external-flash/5960804.p?skuId=5960804
https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Speedlite-Panasonic-Fijifilm-Mirrorless/dp/B010XCEABO/ (flash kit style)
https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Speedlite-Pentax-Camera-Standard/dp/B00OFLFD2U/
>>
>>3406623
No. A plain mount adapter doesn’t affect the focal length, so aperture remains the same. A mount adapter with reducing optics (eg, a metabones speed booster) actually *increases* the effective aperture.
>>
>>3406672
That photo on right seems to have been shot at high ISO, at that high ISO anything looks bad, try at base ISO and then compare
>>
File: 98798.jpg (700 KB, 1196x1900)
700 KB
700 KB JPG
>>3406709
At base ISO it looks much better. I was trying to set equivalent ISOs between the cameras to try to take the camera out of the equation.
>probably oversharpened but eh
>>
>>3406717
The Tamron to me looks by orders of magnitude sharper than the kodak, much more detail, you can actually see the texture on the Tamron, the Kodak besides looking softer, lacking local contrast also has that purple fringing on the high contrast areas, (though the Kodak seems a bit more overexposed compared to the Tamron photo)

Also for me it makes little sense to set a professional camera to high ISO so you can compare it with a P&S when comparing lens, we are comparing lens here not the cameras so both cameras should be set to their maximum quality, right?
Also each lens has their optimal aperture so "matching apertures" may be beneficial for a lens and not for others.

Eitherways the Canon + Tamrom looks to me to be by orders of magnitude sharper, idk where you got the idea that the P&S were sharper...
>>
>>3406721
That's because left is overexposed. It's a bit too specular highligted.
>>
>>3403840
>organize your photos
Lightroom and Windows
>>3403840
>videos
Netflix, Amazon, letterboxd
>audios
Spotify

>>3404009
>Onboard flashes are always built on shitty cameras and are shit specifically (because no professional uses them and thus no manufacturer produces onboard flash for pros)
>Can't move light anywhere or do anything other than produce shitty frontal directional light
>Can't sync, can't time, can't do TTL
>Can't diffuse well
>and another 40 reasons

Nobody uses onboard flash and anybody blogging or youtubing telling you to bounce flash was shooting 30 years ago or isn't a professional

>>3404365
Wide lenses aren't used for portraiture, nor bokeh/blur. The inverse is true. The good portrait lenses are between 80 and 120mm and fairly fast, circa 1.8. They're also primes

Either way it's a stupid thing to buy as a gift without talking to her about it first because there're so many variables and preferences involved
Buy her a good tripod or speedlight & trigger instead, both expand your photography abilities and options tremendously

>>3404387
That's not criticism
>>3404505
Still not criticism
Cry about people on the internet less

>>3406689
Depends what you're doing with them but Neweer aren't terrible. Godox and Yongneo generally make the best entry and mid level flashes for value
>>
I bought a used M42 lens from UK and it smells like a somali. AAA++++ serviced and cleaned my ass, focusing was noisy, rough and dry as sahara. Atleast no visible oil, fungus or bad scratches like promised.

Even if it's from a camera shop it may have been stored in a smoker home or something else but all I know it smells.

I wiped it with a damp cloth and left it outside in 0°C for the evening to get rid of the smell. Returning is more hassle than it's worth at under 100 bucks.
So is it cool to leave a lens outside for the night and every day until it stops smelling?
I will be carrying it whole day tomorrow outside anyway.
Putting the lens in a box with baking soda or what the odour lessening thing is next or does that invite dust inside the lens?

When buying from Eastern-Europe the lenses only smell like storage grease, not any human smells, yuck once again.
>>
>>3407013
Usually there's dew in the morning, so leaving it overnight will very likely make it get moist inside. I don't know how well it will cause sub-zero temperatures, but definitely not well with moist.
>>
File: GCfW6z7G_o.jpg (97 KB, 960x960)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
i know, cancer image, but what is this filter called
>>
>>3407022
Just more cacky washed out over done bullshit
>>
>>3407021
Good point. It's going to be negative celsius 24/7 in a few days so I'll better take it in until then.
Not like it wouldn't dry and start to mold or anything but still.

I think it will do well in cold, problems come when going from outside to inside, might do the plastic bag trick then.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.