[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1200px-ModeDial.svg.png (85 KB, 1200x831)
85 KB
85 KB PNG
What mode do you actually shoot in most of the time?

Manual is cool and all, but when you have seconds to get the shot you need, its too much effort to keep on track.
>>
M and A mode
>>
M because I never shoot stuff that I need to be super quick with
>>
>>3397003
P for quickshooting
M for slowshooting
>>
>>3397003
Manual when I have time, no flash when don't have time and sports for flying birds.
>>3397015
I have no idea what P mode is for and what it does, I tried to read the user manual on that but didn't understood, I guess it's not a feature I'm really missing or else I would get into it.
>>
My camera has no modes or lightmeter for that matter.
I think the woman face mode looks the best.
>>
>>3397003
M and P, mostly M
>>
>>3397003

I shoot in Nikon FM2 mode.
>>
pretty much always A, i just pick an aperture and adjust iso as i go to keep my shutter speeds to where i can realistically handhold them, maybe do a couple of clicks down on the exposure compensation dial. i don't really feel the need to shoot M much, i'm just as happy to let the camera do the work for me based on my selected aperture/iso
>>
A and M.
>>
i can't afford digital so i use aperture priority 90% of the time
>>
File: full retard.jpg (27 KB, 298x100)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>3397003
Aperture priority, ISO auto (100-3200 range). Sometimes Shutter priority.
Might look into P and TAv modes, though.
>>
>>3397003
M + auto ISO is my snapshot mode.

aperture is set for the desired depth of field, shutter speed is set to stop the motion either of the camera or the subject. if the iso will rise to astronomical figures, I open up the aperture; and if that doesn't help, I slow down the shutter speed. and even if that isn't enough, get a tripod and fuck auto ISO.
>>
>>3397015
>>3397035
only correct answers ITT
>>
Honestly, after M, it's just A.
I do shoot P but it's only what I put the camera in when shut off or walking around, in case I need a quick shot, but I've never experienced a super decisive moment just like that. At best what, a supercar or a lulzsorandom hipster but never a shooting, suicide, or something newspaper worthy.
>>
MAS on cam with at least two control dials, so it's ether apperutre and exposure on separate dials, or aperture and shutter for M. PM on pointandshoot, and and one dial control cams.
>>
Aperture priority with auto ISO most of the time. Probably like 90-95%.

M if I’m using off camera flash or in a super tricky lighting situation where Av gets confused (eg, fire performers).

Shutter priority if I want a long exposure of something (waterfalls, dancers where I want to catch more movement, etc).
>>
Olympus Aperture Priority. M when dicking around with a tripod and something stationary. Obviously M for live composite which is kinda fun.
>>
>>3397131
>Aperture priority with auto ISO
i find that my camera doesn't trust me enough to take a steady shot whenever i do this lol, always gives me like a full stop of iso that could've just been a slower shutter speed that still would've turned out fine
>>
>>3397155
if you have one of the better nikons, you can adjust the shutter speed preference (fast - slow)
>>
>>3397162
nope, canon m5 (you may begin to laugh at me now)
>>
>>3397164
>you may begin to laugh
Why? It's basically a flagship of the M series
>>
File: program.png (309 KB, 597x488)
309 KB
309 KB PNG
>>3397019

P is program auto. The "program" essentially picks the lowest shutter speed at which you can shoot handheld (depending on the lens you have mounted) and the aperture that will give you the largest depth of field. It does this according to a "program line" which is a hell of a lot simpler than you might expect.

You can also "shift" the program line if you don't like the shutter speed/aperture combo it picked while maintaining the same exposure. It's the best of both Aperture and Shutter priority modes, though beginner and intermediate photographers avoid it because they think it's less "pro" and gives them less control over the image. This is due purely to ego and inexperience.
>>
>>3397180
true, and i like it just fine, just seems that the consensus of the community on the M series is that it's kind of a dead end and there have been a couple of videos from jared polin and kai/lok/digitalrev where they've made a joke about how nobody actually shoots with the M series
>>
>>3397236
I see now, it balances the aperture according to the shutter speed I select, thanks got it now.
Though my camera seems to not do auto ISO in P mode unless I enable auto ISO globally in the menu which takes more time than turning a knob so noflash mode is still better when I need to snap sometime really fast since it uses auto ISO even if global ISO is set to manual as I always keep it
>>
>>3397260
something*
>>
>>3397003
PAS
>>
File: 1542917877674.jpg (24 KB, 250x250)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
I only shot in P(rofessional) mode.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
>>
M & A, sometimes P if speed is of essence.
On my Xpro it's A with auto-iso because I use it as snapshit camera.
>>
>>3397236
P should be avoided on ibis cams, and lenses with good stabilization since it gives you wrong shutter speeds.
>>
>Manual for almost everything
>Ap for events/gigs/action/most paid stuff
>Auto ISO with a maximum and minimum, even in manual
>Back button focus

Haven't had current camera long enough to set and use P but I'll likely be using it for night and event stuff soon, despite body having IBIS

Outside of paid/studio I rarely have to change anything other than Aperture and Shutter Speed and I do both on the fly while moving between locations/scenes
>>
>>3397241
>there have been a couple of videos from jared polin and kai/lok/digitalrev
Imagine actually giving f#$k about any of these
Use the camera and have fun!
>>
>>3397408
>Use the camera and have fun!
i do though lol i said in the same post that i like it just fine. it was just a bit of self deprecating humour, not me legitimately disliking my camera because some youtubers don't like it
>>
>>3397003
aperture
program's fine for photos of people I guess but most stuff I care about depth of field
>>
I almost always shoot manual. I sometimes shoot AP during events. I can't remember a situation where I use SP, but I'm sure I have.
>>
Got too used to manual so it's all I can now use easily. It's instinctive and trying other modes just trips me up and annoys me. Takes a fraction of a second to decide on the best settings and I'm never haphazardly pointing my camera anywhere to need a faster computer decision. Studio work is all manual and I'm swapping between a digital and my 67 there which is fully manual anyway.
>>
Aperture priority.
>>
>>3397015
Yeah this.

>>3397003
Mind you I've lately made use of the Memory Recall mode, its essentially P but with several presets you customise yourself. A pain to set up amd calibrate every single setting, but I fond myself more often using it than anything else now since I like to take day and night shots.

If I need to change one setting, the preset works as a great base-defaukt to deviate from.
>>
>>3397236
But P mode IS the PRO mode
>>
>>3397003
aperture and manual
>>
File: 1513960653972s.jpg (7 KB, 250x226)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>3397003
Friendly reminder, auto will work better than what you think you can do manually 99% of the time.
>>
ass mode
>>
>>3397003
S/Tv because my hands are shaky as fuck.
>>
>>3397003
I shoot 80% of the time in Aperture priority during mostly day-time shots. And if the shutter speed is too slow on hand I try to compensate with a jump in ISO. But depend on the situations, during low-light i avoid going lower than f4 and ISO higher than 800 because my previous camera D5100 starts to lose details past ISO 1000. So If no other option is available I always carry my trusty tripod to add slower shutter speeds.
>>
>>3397414
on holiday right now in japan. Have seen more canon M mirrorless cameras than almost any other mirrorless. They seem like great cameras but gearfags hate canon. youtube shill's opinions are worth dirt.
>>
>>3397578
>gearfags hate canon
why
>>
>>3397578
>but gearfags hate canon
*videofags hate canon
ftfy
>>
I use Aperture because it sounds fancy.
>>
File: 1526942510962.jpg (106 KB, 954x954)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>3397003
Aperture Value with manual ISO, the patrician's choice. Adjust exposure compensation rather than shutter speed, gives you a lot of control without having to fiddle with ss.
>>
I use manual a lot because it's easier than figuring out how to lock exposure
>>
>>3397003
Exclusively M
Full control of the camera is essential to call yourself photographer
>>
I use 'auto' and yet my photos are better than pics of 99% of /p/'s I-shoot-only-M-mode-because-I-am-serious-photographer.

>implying that's not true
>>
>>3398200
This. You guys are trying to be a bunch of superstars with your manual modes.
Aperture priority with AUTO 200-1600 ISO 99.99% of the time.
If I don't like the shutter speed or it gives me I use the exposure compensation dial like a normal person.
>>3398168
You point the camera, expose the scene how you want, then hit the AE-L button.
>>3398177
Your photos are what determine your worth as a photographer. Not your shooting process. Although I can see how patting yourself on the back for shooting manual can make you feel better if your photos are shit.
>>
>>3397003
80% A
20% M
>>
>>3398177
>since my photos are so shitty, I have to find other ways to make myself feel superior that don’t involve the hard work of actually developing artistic talent.
>>
Av for portraits, Tv for moving subjects, M for anything involving flash.
>>
>>3398207
>Your photos are what determine your worth as a photographer. Not your shooting process

Whatever helps you sleep at night
>>
>>3398239
Everyone is shitty at first but at some time i'll have to take it a step further. I cant let all the time my camera to decide how to compose my photos. Thats how you grow as a photographer. Find out why your photos suck take them again the right way.
>>
Aperture Priority 95% of the time unless I'm doing astro. Proper depth of field is the most important aspect of an image to me and I very rarely shoot moving subjects
>>
>>3398386
>I don’t understand greentext, so I’m responding as if that person was actually saying it himself rather than sarcastically mocking the anon he’s replying to
>also I’m confused about the difference between exposure and composition, apparently
>>
>>3398389
You missunderstood my response,i could explain it more...but i'd rather sleep. Happy haunting fellow camera user.
>>
If you shoot auto, how is there any skill involved? How is it any different than the average basic white bitch Instagram star using point and shoot?
>>
manual but auto ISO and white balance. better to end up with a grainy photo that doesn't suffer from motion blur or bad focus
>>
Av or Tv, I only use M for panoramas, going for manual in most scenarios is just pointless.
>>
>>3398430
>going for manual in most scenarios is just pointless.

That was painful to read
>>
Auto for portraits and ladscapes, P for quick snapshits
>>
>>3398409
That's the joke
>>
>>3398409
>If you shoot auto, how is there any skill involved?
Composition. Subject choice. Timing. Judging light. Knowing where to go for a good photo. Knowing how to get your subject looking its best. Picking your focal length. Telling a story visually. So very, very many skills are involved in getting a good photo besides matching a needle in your viewfinder.

If you think the only thing that separates you from a bad photographer is something that can be completely automated by a 70s-era computer, and automated more quickly and effectively than you’re doing it, what exactly the hell do you think you’re adding to the process?

You’re like someone saying that a person who writes with a typewriter has no skill compared to someone who hand draws letters but can’t string together a sentence.
>>
>>3398430
>M for panoramas
what kind of brick do you shoot on that you need to use manual for ponorama?
>>
>>3398450
Presumably he means stitched panoramas, so taking multiple shots of one scene to build a bigger image. You don’t want the automatic exposure (or autofocus) changing the settings between shots.
>>
Manual on Nikon because it allows me to control shutter speed and aperture. ISO is auto-iso. This is for situations which do not allow flash.

With flash and portraits, I just fucking spray and pray TTL with the highest shutter speed, and widest aperture
>>
I use the automatic setting on my smartphone.
>>
>>3398449
Thats actually fair, but when I do auto I can't even focus on the subject I want the way that I want.
>>
>people actually use auto over P

Explains so much about this board
>>
>>3397334

Got a source on that?
>>
P and A, sometimes M
>>
>>3398478
>when I do auto I can't even focus on the subject I want the way that I want.
I was assuming that most of the people talking about "auto" actually meant P or one of the priority modes on cameras where things other than full auto are an option. I.e., modes where the exposure is totally or partially automatic but you can override it (and override things like your focus point, etc).
>>
>>3398524
So what do you say for focus then?
>>
>>3398527
I use autofocus, but generally in the mode where I get to pick where it automatically focuses. Only time I go full-auto on the focus is when I'm shooting from the hip.
>>
>>3397003
M. the only thing i change apart from iso, ss and aperture is shutter/aperture -priority when needed
>>
>>3398529
Not sure how those modes work, even considering myself especially amateurish I always exclusively shoot in M.
>>
M only, sometimes P when I have to be fast
>>
Manual for video, Aperture Priority for photo
>>
>>3397003
What's a "mode"?
>>
Approximately 70% A, 29% S, 1%M.

When I spend $XXXX on a hi-tech, state-of-the-art camera I expect it to do some of the heavy lifting so I can concentrate on the framing the image
>>
>>3397003
I keep it in manual and just miss the shot
>>
>>3400124
i think he meant to say "rode", like which microphone do people here shoot their videos with?
>>
Am I retard for almost always using S?
>>
>>3397003
Manual, unless I'm shooting with a vintage lens then I have to use Av because in full manual the live view is underexposed by two stops because it thinks the lens is an f/0
>>
Am I the only asshole that shoots S? I do lots of street, and honestly having a shallower depth of field isn't nearly as important as making sure a subject isn't a blurry mess if they're moving quick.
>>
Strangely, I only use A and S these days
>>
>>3397003
i only shoot shutter priority and with auto iso because my lens is adapted and its not recognised by the camera
>>
This thread was a real eyeopener,i
cant believe this is the type of people that mostly visit /p/. Bragging about using auto? And that M is too much trouble? Thats what being a photographer means,taking the decisions yourself otherwise you are no defferent than basic bitches on instagram.i could reply to each one indevidualy but fuck its too many of you unfotunately.I
get using modes at first but claiming that they make you a pro and expensive cameras ''should do the heavy lifting'' is bullshit
i use to tell my self to sleep at night.Have
fun ''photographers'' this board is a fucking joke.
>>
>>3401043
ur fucking dumb
>>
Outside of a studio setting I'm in A 99% of the time.
>>
>>3397003

Mostly A, occasionally M in super low light conditions.
>>
>>3401043
>*I* decide to set my camera’s exposure to what my camera’s exposure meter tells me to set it at, not my camera. That’s what makes me a better photographer than you.
>>
>>3401071
this
auto will always set the f stop too high and slow down the shutter resulting in blurry pics for most people
>>
>>3401043
>taking the decisions
Agonising over which way to turn a couple of knobs doesn't make you a photographer either. Even in manual you should be able to analyse your scene and set your camera pretty damned quick. Unfortunately subjects invariably move a lot quicker. A good photographer is one who gets the shot not one who is still wanking his dials about five minutes after the shot has gone.
>>
>>3400173
Shutter priority for me when shooting birds
>>
>>3401043
Exposure is the least important part of a good photograph, the less thought about it the better. The camera is better than you at determining a proper exposure, get over it.
>>
>>3401243
>Exposure is the least important part
I cant imagine being this retard but have fun trying.
I suppose if i want to take long exposure or portrait with good bokeh the camera will just guess that that's what i want to do.I get playing it safe when you need to snap a frame extremely quickly but no its not better at determining a proper exposure,that why we have the M option and thats why we moved on from point and shoot cameras,get over it.
>>
>>3401119
Well..it kinda looks like you describe the whole process poorly on purpose,yes at first it does take a while but soon after you invest some time you can determine your exposure pretty quickly depending on the weather,day time etc.Besides you need to see this more selfishly,i mean did you buy camera worth hundreds of $$ or even thousands just to follow the same process you used to have on compact digital cameras? I dont think so
>>
>>3401842
>I take pictures of nothing at all interesting ever and don’t even know what the word “composition” means, but all of my photos are carefully set to 18% gray by hand instead of letting a computer set them to 18% gray, so I’m a better photographer than you.
>>
>>3401857
>Im stuck in auto cause i have autism so im gonna make everyone smarter than me feel bad cause i cant figure out the dials and make excuses to cover my insecurities
>>
>>3401862
1. Autism is a disorder that’s characterized by, among other things, paying obsessive attention to fiddly little technical details. Shooting full M all the time is, therefore, much more of an indicator of autism than shooting with automatic exposure.
2. Literally no one in this thread doesn’t understand how to shoot in M mode. It’s trivially easy. It’s so easy that our civilization invented a tiny idiot computer back in the 70s that could do it for us. There’s nothing wrong with shooting M if you prefer it, but doing unnecessary work doesn’t make you smarter.
3. Exposure literally is the least challenging thing to get right in a picture. Next one up is focus, since that takes a bit of skill even with autofocus. Above that is things like composition, lighting, angle, getting a good subject, catching the shot at the decisive moment, etc. things that can’t be replicated by a three cent hunk of silicon. And while I prefer shooting with a camera that does give me control over my exposure because I often need to adjust those too, the parts of photography that are the most challenging and most require an actual human brain are all things that are the same whether you’re shooting a drug store disposable or the latest and greatest digital flagship. If you don’t understand how small a piece exposure settings are in the overall puzzle of how to take a truly great photo, I’d wager that you’re experiencing some extreme Dunning-Kruger effect. You think you’re a good photographer just because you can manually set your exposure. That’s like thinking you’re ready to win a NASCAR race because you learned to drive a stick shift.
>>
>>3397003
Aperture priority, but I recently discovered that in P mode that if you turn the control dial it changes shutter & aperture in tandem which may be a great way to shoot.
>>
>>3402019

My fuji does that. Don't use it often but it's a nice feature; being able to run full auto but select combinations of A/S that I like.

Kinda cool
>>
>>3397552
Billions of dollars of research have been put it into these systems over the years. Unless you’re going for a particular effect, auto does a pretty good job.
>>
File: MG_8803_large.jpg (16 KB, 480x320)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>3397003
What's a mode?
>>
Pentax has a aperture and shutter priority mode which is basically manual with auto ISO.
GOAT for wildlife while keeping your lens at its sharpest aperture.
>>
>>3397003
I shoot A with auto ISO. I set the ISO minimum and maximum setting with a minimum shutter speed. Works pretty well for street, although I find auto iso sucks ass on my Nikon d7100 (usually misses exposure) but great on my fuji x100t. For my Nikon I just manually set the ISO and shoot in A.
>>
>>3402019
>>3402126
Umm, it's called program mode and that's how it works in every camera... Reading the manual might provide useful information.
>>
>>3402703
Except for canon, only just got it on their EOS R lol
>>
>>3402720
Canon invented and first deployed it in the ground breaking A1 back in 1978 you plonker
>>
FULL M

Because I am a pro.
>>
>>3402688
my nikon used to CONSTANTLY over expose with auto iso or auto shutter.

every shot 1/15 6400 blurry fucking grainy bullshit. retarded thing.
>>
>>3402731
>using anything except lowest ISO possible
>>
>>3402731
>my crop sensor went to iso 6400

wow great story
>>
M

It's habitual from three semesters of Lecture, and using external flash.

I don't remember what the other modes do
>>
Aperture priority

The only time i'd have to change is if i want motion blur which is almost fucking never
>>
>>3402731
>my nikon used to CONSTANTLY over expose with auto iso or auto shutter.
>every shot 1/15 6400 blurry fucking grainy bullshit. retarded thing.
I can only assume the retarded thing there is you. Did you maybe have your exposure compensation dialed all the way to bright?
>>
File: IMGP1112.jpg (175 KB, 1000x662)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
Usually Aperture with auto ISO from 100-1600 (daytime). At night I usually go full manual (no flash) and shutter priority for dem action shots.

Equipment MakePENTAX
Camera ModelPENTAX K-50
Camera SoftwareArcSoft PhotoStudio
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)300 mm
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2018:12:09 18:35:29
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating200
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length200.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2464
Image Height1632
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastHard
SaturationNormal
SharpnessHard
Subject Distance RangeClose View
>>
>>3403748
>ISO 1600 (daytime)
>>
>>3403749
>wanting to use wider apertures with higher shutter speeds
Not all of use are bokeh fags mate
>>
>>3403749
not always with an upper limit of 1600 but not more than 1600 m8

>>3403750
this
>>
>>3397241
Get out of the gear race. The M5 is fine, shoot more.
>>
>>3403780
>The M5 is fine
yes, i literally said that in the post you are replying to.
>>
>>3397260
A = aperture priority
S/T = shutter speed priority
P = ISO priority
>>
>>3405526
my camera has "Sv" which is ISO but it also has "P". confuses the everlasting dick out of me.

wat do
>>
>>3397003
Macro mode for everything
>>
>>3400173
>Am I the only asshole that shoots S?
Nope, I do the same for street. Quickly changing lighting (sunlight to shadows, cloudbreaks, etc) plus the need to freeze movement means that shutter priority becomes really useful.
>>
>>3397003
manual + auto iso
>>
File: everybody.jpg (45 KB, 600x397)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>3401892
>>
File: people.gif (833 KB, 500x280)
833 KB
833 KB GIF
>>3403750
>Not all of use are bokeh fags mate
>>
>>3397015
This
>>
>>3397003
aperture priority you idiot, why would anyone use M??? unless the cameras light meter is not doing its job
>>
>>3401892
the people insisting they are superior photographers for shooting in M all the time are the linux desktop users of photography
>>
retard idiot mode!!!
>>
>>3397019
Is sports a glorified Tv?
>>
>>3398409

>I have to feel superior to a basic bitch because I don't actually enjoy photography
>>
>>3397003
FAST MAN MODE GANG

WHO /FASTMAN/HERE

Image OrientationUnknown
>>
>>3402739
>>3402736
>>3402731
Serious question:
Is there any reason to actualy use your cameras highest ISO-setting in real life?
>inb4 taking a picture of a flying bullet during nighttime
>>
>>3410914
FAST MAN IS BEST BECAUSE GO FAST ZOOM ZOOM ZOOOOOOM
>>
>>3410967
Imagine you are a person who has human friends who do things after sunset and sometimes those things are not very well lit. Humans move, so using a slow shutter speed or a tripod won’t work. This is when you might want to use high iso.
>>
>>3410967
It's handy in low light to take test exposures at a reasonably short shutter speed. I would never do final exposures at the highest iso.
>>
>>3410970

what the fuck is a "test exposure" and why would you do it on the highest iso?
>>
>>3410970
why would test what you will never use?
>>
>>3397003
80% of the time: Av mode

the rest is manual mode when using flash, doing long exposures, non-standard stuff

I dont shoot action anymore, but when I did and the sun was super bright, i would shoot in Tv mode. (Though nowadays if I need to freeze motion in super bright condition, I will stick to Av and just play with aperture until I get the desired range of shutter speeds) One time when I had to shoot a parade at night I had to use TAv mode.

If I had live histogram, I would probably only shoot manual.
>>
If you are using MF lenses, all A mode does it dick up your shutter speed. It doesn't know my focal length and only calculates the shutter speed based on the ISO I allow it and the available light.

For MF lenses, manual mode with auto ISO is the patrician choice though even on great cameras I try to keep ISO as low as possible.
>>
>>3410988

sounds like you have a real shitty camera my guy.
>>
>>3410988
>only calculates the shutter speed based on the ISO I allow it and the available light

So.... like an actual, proper built-in light meter? lol
How did you think aperture priority works on manual focus film cameras?
>>
>>3410969
Yea, but 12800 or even 25600 seems a little excessive and the noise probably isn't worth it.
>>3410970
Don't most cameras offer some kind of preview these days?
>>
>>3410988
>It doesn't know my focal length and only calculates the shutter speed based on the ISO I allow it and the available light.
If you have a Canon or Nikon, it will let you set a minimum shutter speed for aperture priority mode.

(Higher end Nikon’s will also let you set your focal length for manual lenses, though I prefer to just set a min shutter speed directly since sometimes I want to keep it faster than 1/focal.)
>>
>>3410993
>Yea, but 12800 or even 25600 seems a little excessive and the noise probably isn't worth it.
Nope! It is often so dark that you legitimately need 25,600. For example, if you’re shooting inside a bar or club at night.

And with a modern full frame camera, 25,600 isn’t that bad, noise-wise, as long as it’s correctly exposed and you don’t try to bring up shadows from there or something.
>>
>>3410997
What kind if shutterspeed and lense are you using?
>>
I use only ever Aperture priority.
>>
>>3410967
iso 12800 is perfectly fine on my a7iii, like really useable
>>
>>3411008
same, i've got an m5 with 2 dials so one is iso and one is aperture and i just balance those 2 to find an acceptable shutter speed based on whatever lens/subject i'm shooting. there's also a dedicated exposure compensation dial so i've got pretty much everything i need at my fingertips shooting in A
>>
>>3410993
>Yea, but
No. Shut up, idiot.
>>
>>3411006
>What kind if shutter speed and lens are you using?
Searching Lightroom for shots I took at 25,600, a lot of them are at 1/125th (my usual default to the Minimum Shutter Speed setting) or 1/250th (my default when I'm shooting a performance where people are dancing or moving around or whatever).

I shoot mainly with a 50mm, but with 85mm as a close second. Performance shots, a lot of them are at various points along the range of my 24-70 f/2.8.

So, in answer to the question you're dancing around: Yes, I could often drop the shutter speed and open up my aperture more and shoot at less than 25,600, but that comes at a cost. If I have time to control my breathing and get centered, I can easily shoot 1/focal-length. If I have something to lean against, shutter speeds like 1/20th are easy. And I've got f/1.8 lenses that I usually shoot at f/2.8 or f/4

But if I'm shooting quick candid shots, I don't have time to have absolutely perfect form because the world is moving and my subject is moving and I'm breathing and good expressions are fleeting. So I prefer a little extra high ISO noise over motion blur (from shooting at slower than 1/125th) or misfocusing (from shooting wider than f/4). And even then, sometimes I legitimately am shooting 25600 at f/1.8 and 1/50th or less on my 50mm, but usually I don't like those shots well enough that I keep a smart preview on my laptop, so I can't show you any.

Attached was from a burlesque performance. 1/250th, f/2.8, ISO 25600. Lighting in the venue was shit. Couldn't go under 1/250th because she was dancing and that would just fuck me with motion blur. Couldn't go less than f/2.8 because I was shooting with my f/2.8 zoom. So, ISO 25600.
>>
>>3410972
>>3410985
For long exposures. Find the EV at a high iso so it doesn't take 5 minutes to do a test exposure.
>>
>>3411100

alright actually that's a pretty good reason
>>
>>3397015
This.

Many people forget about P

P is "custom auto". You set focus mode, flash or no flash, white balance, etc. The only auto stuff ic the exposure related things: shutter speed, aperture and ISO.
>>
P as I can easily switch to A or S by turning the corresponding wheel.
TAV when I want full control right away.
>>
>>3411161
If P takes care of shutter speed, aperture and ISO, then why not just use full auto mode? It sounds like all the primary controls are automated.
>>
>>3412381
because in P you can override shutter or aperture from shot to shot and it'll always hold your setting and compensate with the others. i think it's a bit lazy
>>
>>3397619
Is this in Riga lmao?
>>
I might shoot Av / Aperture priority a lot, and use the exposure compensation dial (dedicated top dial on mine) for portraits, though face detect and eye AF tends to expose for the face.

M is also good for consistency and controlling background exposure.

If I wanted to shoot something quick without thinking, P might be good for it, depending on the use.

A is also fine for that though, depending on if you wanted to stop down at all.

Shutter priority with auto ISO is probably the way to go. Select what you know you need as a minimum shutter.
>>
How do I focus in pitch black lads? I want to do some light painting but I'm not sure how I focus.

Also how to I not make the picture capture too much light? I want it to look like how it looks to my eyes.

I'm new obviously.
>>
File: img-thing.png (54 KB, 300x300)
54 KB
54 KB PNG
>>3412412
>Shutter priority with auto ISO is probably the way to go. Select what you know you need as a minimum shutter.
but anon, in typical lit situations apitcher priority determines the aesthetic of the photo more than anything else (i.e. DoF/bokeh/light flare/etc
>>
File: CRW_0081.jpg (264 KB, 1000x750)
264 KB
264 KB JPG
>>3412414
I always have someone light a flashlight or even lighter in frame at the plane I need to be focused, autofocus on the light itself, and then begin.

You can also use this Focus Lamp™ technique to take a couple test shots to get an idea of what your exposure might look like.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon PowerShot S70
Camera SoftwareArcSoft PhotoStudio
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2018:12:26 21:17:01
Exposure Time15.0 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashFlash
Focal Length5.81 mm
Image Width1228
Image Height921
>>
>>3412420
Interesting, I'll give that a try. Thanks anon.
>>
>>3397236
>>3397082
>>3397035
>>3397019
is there a way to lock ISO on P mode? Im basically a fag and cant figure it out
>>
>>3413748
Probably. What model camera do you have?
>>
>>3397552
thanks for the factual ego death pepe
>>
>>3413748
>>3413750
d610 nikon
>>
>>3412381
Some camera let you set P mode to bias toward certain settings without hitting it exactly, so it's a little more flexible. Pentax for example lets you set P mode to MTF bias. It'll try to hit the lens' peak MTF performance aperture, but it won't force it like you would in Av mode. And you can dial in whether you want a strong or weak bias to taste.

In that sense, P is more like indirectly controlled Auto. Auto is usually full auto, absolutely no user input.
>>
>>3413752
https://imaging.nikon.com/support/digitutor/d610/functions/autoisocontrol.html

Turn auto ISO sensitivity control off, then set your ISO manually to whatever you want.
>>
>>3397236
>beginner and intermediate photographers avoid [P] because they think it's less "pro" and gives them less control over the image. This is due purely to ego and inexperience.
Your justification is due to ego and inexperience.

I'd love to have a program that accomplishes comparable dof, where I'm also able to shift. As this is not existing and even aggravated in P, I'm in Av and M compensating for the distance I'm shooting.
>>
>>3400151
I did this when I got my first camera. Took me a couple months to graduate to full manual. I use aperture priority a lot on the fly though
>>
>been using manual mode lately since i got a new tripod
>recently went back to hand held
>P S and A won't automatically changed the ISO anymore
What the fuck is wrong with it?
>>
>>3414119
Sounds like you turned off auto ISO. What model camera do you have?
>>
>>3414141
Nikon D5600.

I have switched off auto ISO in settings but it affects manual mode if it's on. Though before it never used to, so idk what's going on.
>>
>>3397003
Manual when I'm trying, auto when I'm not.
>>
>>3414185
Try out Shutter Priority, that's my go-to when I'm not on manual.
>>
90% aperature priority
8% manual mode
2% shutter priority
>>
>>3414173
no shit. that's how it works... on program modes iso will be auto kept low until cam thinks it's needing to raise up. since you're new, you haven't even noticed it
>>
>>3414173
> Though before it never used to, so idk what's going on.
I'm pretty sure what's going on is that you got your settings confused at some point and had it on/off when you thought it was off/on and used it that way for a while and then got confused when you changed it.

It's pretty simple:

When you have auto-ISO turned on, the camera automatically sets the ISO (even in manual mode).

When you have auto-ISO turned off, the camera always uses your manually-selected ISO setting (even in auto modes).

So if you want the camera to automatically set the ISO, turn on auto ISO.

I feel like I lost a couple of IQ points just having to write out this explanation. Like, I normally try not to make fun of new people because we were all there once, but you seriously couldn't figure out "I turned off automatic ISO and now my camera won't set ISO automatically" on your own?
>>
>>3397003
Manual all the time, not because Im a purist of any sort, but simply because its how I learned and am most comfortable with. I've tried aperture a couple of times but end up always trying to override it eventually and going back to manual. I only really do studio shots though, so its not like I'm having to rush to capture stuff, and the rare occasion I'm outside things like sunny16 get you there in the time it takes to lift the camera.
Only been using manual since 2001 though, so I'll probably get round to actually using aperture priority at least in the next fifteen years I'd imagine.
>>
>>3414253
>I only really do studio shots
You should really start with that instead of bragging about manual.
>>
>>3414259
He made it pretty clear that he wasn't bragging about manual, I thought.
>>
>>3414259
I only do studio shots, but I use manual because I fear change.
Oh and also because its the only way to truly make love to the camera like a man, instead of relying on electronic sex aids to help her make up for your 'short-comings'. Using anything but manual and you may as well stick the camera up your ass and use your sphincter muscle to flap that shutter, because at least one of you should be enjoying yourself, right?
>Happy?

All sarcasm aside, you may shit on studio work (and possibly quite rightly), but the reason I had to learn in manual was because I was using non-metered manual strobes, so you cant really use any camera aids as they cant see what the lights going to be. (It was five years before I even got a light meter). Sure it never changes once you get it where you want it, but being able to get an exposure into the ballpark on the first shot with manual lights is a skill all in itself.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.