[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 29 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

How hard is backing up a trailer?
>>
>>1577303
At any given moment there is an "ignorant redneck" backing up a trailer with ease somewhere out there.
>>
It's not, if you're not a shit driver. Especially not a small trailer like >>1577303.

A camera on the back helps. Watch your mirrors, watch your corners.
Gooses/5th's maneuver a little easier than a bumper-pull, since they a larger swing radius.

Pull through if possible, to avoid having to back in the first place.
>>
>>1577303
Hardest part for me was realizing that everything gets unreversed in your mirrors
>>
>>1577303
Backing a trailer is all about experience. Sure we easy with a few weeks experience
>>
>>1577321
>Especially not a small trailer like >>1577303

The smaller a trailer is the quicker it is to turn, which sounds good but it kind of a curse. Longer trailers are easier for me at least
>>
>>1577303
>>>/diy/

It is easy. Just go to a parking lot or field and practice backing up. Set goals and mental obstacles or real ones. When changing to a difference size of trailer, practice again.
>>
>>1577303
>go to trucker school
>learn
>$65k/yr+
>profit

I don't see your problem?
>>
>>1577303
Just practice on San Andreas, it's the same.
>>
You'll get the hang of backing trailers eventually. It is a learned skill and unfamiliar at first. It takes practice to learn.
Remember, the positioning of the back of your car that controls the trailer's direction. So, for example, if you want the trailer to go towards your (driver's side) more then the back of you car, which is also the front of the trailer, has to be moved towards the passenger's side. Therefor to aim the trailer and you'll need to turn your wheel towards the passenger's side a bit. Yes it is the opposite steering to normal reversing.
The usual problem is trailer turns too much but corrections are easy, stop and go forward a bit. Take it slowly, stay calm. It is very easy to over-steer when reversing, especially little trailers. Practice and practice alone! Deserted parking lots with painted bays are good places to practice. Set little goals at first.
>>
>>1577356
That's a long run around way of saying turn into the drift
>>1577303
Turn into the drift
>>
Just got my Class A CDL so I can be a lineman. It takes some practice, but not too much. Find a parking lot and practice for an hour a day for a few days and you will get the hang of it.
>>
File: DSC02033-L.jpg (87 KB, 800x600)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>1577339
Swing is a bigger issue with bigger/longer trailers.
The more trailer you have behind teh axles, the more swing you're going to get as you're pushing the trailer around.
If you're trying to clear another vehicle, fencepost, mailbox, hydrant, etc and don't account for that swing, you're going to hit something and do damage to both thing and trailer.

>>1577356
>It is a learned skill and unfamiliar at first. It takes practice to learn.
upboat'd
>>
>>1577303
If it's on a flat, even surface it's easy as shit right when loads start getting heavy or maybe uneven with weight distribution, it can be tricky. What you hauling?
>>1577318
Who cares if he's ignorant, backing up a trailer is easy as fuck shit.
>>
>>1577511
Are you talking about trailer tracking? I hit a curb pretty hard because I didn't know when I first drove one
>>
>>1577303
Everything you think you know about physics is suddenly wrong when there is a trailer behind you. When you are backing up a trailer do the opposite of what your instincts tell you.
>>
>>1577403
Turn your wheel in the direction that you dont want the back of your trailer to go. If its going straight, keep it straoght of course, but it wont stay straight. In that case:
>turn your wheel in the direction you dont want your trailers ass to go

Easiest way ive remembered it
>>
>>1577537
No, I mean swing when you're backing up.
If you've ever driven a school bus or similar vehicle, where the drivers seat is forward of the steer axle, it's the same effect.
You're pushing a trailer backwards, and any time you turn, the ass end of the trailer is going to swing around like the front-end of a bus you're steering.
>>
>>1577522
>backing up a trailer is easy as fuck shit
That was kinda the point, if "some dumb ass redneck" can do it, why can't anyone?
>>
>>1577303
GLAMPERS BTFO
>>
>>1577303

I drive 70,000 lb tankers at work all the time. It's very intimidating at first, but you just sack up and do it, like everything else in life that is scary. It's like riding a bike, honestly, you just sort of get the hang of it and then it becomes fun.
>>
>>1577303

My little brother can back up a trailer at full speed with ease. Little fucker. It drives me nuts.
>>
>>1577303
pretty easy, the key is to just practice a few times without an audience heckling you

>look out side mirrors
>if you see the trailer start to swing to one side turn the wheel towards that mirror
>???
>profit
>>
>>1577354
Don’t do this

>>1577339
This is also true. A tiny steering adjustment makes for a huge turn on a small trailer which sometimes makes them difficult to back.

It’s like riding a bicycle, it’s confusing as hell the first hour or so, but once you understand which way to turn the steering wheel, you will have it down forever.
>>
>>1577303
Impossible if your a lady driver or Asian.
>>
>>1578155

where and what do you haul m8?
>>
>>1577303
God damn, OP! This shit thread is still going and you should know how to go backwards by now!

How stupid and incompetent are you?
>>
>>1577354
>automated trucks soon replace them
>>
>>1578777
I got my ears on for that!Fucking Elon Musk, 10-4 good buddy!
>>
>>1577303
Dame tu casita
Uh uh
Dame tu casita
Uh oi
>>
>>1577303
G.
O.
A.
L.
>>
>>1577339
>Longer trailers are easier
TRUTHS
>>
>>1578789
Lies!

Longer wheelbases are easier.
>>
>>1577303
Easy. Let it wigle of it needs. The shorter the less fun. Small direction increments. Dont bee affraid to pull up and straighten out 58 times. Cucks making fun of you aint as bad as jacknifing it. Thus getting shit on even more with a fucked up truck and trailer.

This advice and little practice will have you backing loaded semis where most carfaggots can even see.

Grab your rear view mirror on the qinshield and rip it the fuck off.
>>
>>1577318
Can confirm. But i played supertrucker for a bit and been backing trailers since i could walk so...
>>
>>1577339
Can confirm. If not a tight spot 52' trailer easier to back then 10' trailer.

Car dolly is laffs for all
>>
>>1577354
NO

NO

NO

DO NOT! its a giant fucking scam unless you wanna pay 3k to get your cdl and bounce to work local or for a good nom and pop outfit.

Also FUCK THE DOT.
>>
>>1577303
>How hard is backing up a trailer?
First make sure you can clearly see its current location and the location you want to back it up to. Slowly and carefully drag the trailer to its new drive location. Your trailer is now backed up. Piracy is wrong.
>>
>>1577303
This is one of those things your dad is supposed to teach you.
>>
For the first couple of times, place one hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. Turn a bit sideways (no mirrors) and look behind you. As you back up, turn the steering wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go. After a few time you'll be using the mirrors to help out.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.