[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 26 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Has anyone that has practiced the Wim Hof method discovered any tangible benefits to doing so? The increased cold resilience is appealing to me as I live in a cold climate and go /out/ often, so being able to pack/wear less clothing would free up some bag space and lighten my load. Just don't know if I could spend hours hiking in the cold with inadequate clothing without freezing to death.
>>
>>1575367
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the man is a genetic outlier. Him and his normie brother have like 5x the typical amount of brown fat for heat regulation.

If you spend more time in the cold, you will develop cold resistance. But you will never reach Whim "swim naked till my corneas freeze" Hoff levels.

In fact, most of the benefits from training are likely to be psychological rather than physiological. I haven't double checked that though.
>>
>>1575367
>he can’t recognize snake oil
>>
>>1575367
Did it for a while. Was impressed. Not going to climb Everest in my shorts but it felt good. In the way meditating feels good when you do it.
>>
>>1575408
>Just don't know if I could spend hours hiking in the cold with inadequate clothing without freezing to death.
I'm obviously skeptical that people reporting having an easier time taking cold showers are experiencing anything other than psychological effects.
>>
>>1575394
>In fact, most of the benefits from training are likely to be psychological rather than physiological

Your fat cells go from smooth to ridged for more heat retention. But yeah it's very mental too
>>
He's led groups of people who train his methods on hikes up Kilamanjaro in their underwear and bare feet. Don't get me wrong, I'm a skeptic leaning toward him being a genetic freak, but how do you explain that?
>>
>>1575482
He's been tested both humans his brother have abnormally high percentage of brown body fat vs white body fat that isn't as effective against the cold so he is a genetic marvel but his techniques can help anyone even if they can't get you to his level due to genetic factors he talks about the genetics test in his interview with Joe Rogan
>>
>>1575491
*him not humans. By bad I'm a phone poster
>>
>>1575367
Goal guys on youtube did his training program and saw improvements. It's not a cure all, but they were able over a period to stomach intense cold longer. Partly due to psycology, but also physical resistance.
>>
Cold showers are not hard to take but for some reason it makes my skin hitch for a few minutes after taking it. Is it aids lads?
>>
>>1577189
Yeah, you are going to die. Rip buddy
>>
>>1575367
Wim Hof is a stooge. You don't have to do all kinds of gay shit to get used to cold, just spend more time in cold environments and take cold/cool showers and nature will take care of the rest.
>>
>>1577189
>>1577260

How do I into cold showers? I can't even do it in 90 degree summer weather. Then again I can't sleep uncovered either, I'll wake up shivering if it's under like 85 degrees in the room and my blanket isn't on.
>>
>>1575394
There is stuff you can do to increase brown fat
>>
Cold resistance/Brown fat can be increased by spending ~6h a day for a week outside in 50 degree weather
Aftet that the effects have diminishing returns
The resistance goes away after a while if you dont go outside in cold weather at all
>>
>>1575367
I only put on pants when I'm /out/ and it's below -20. When I shovel snow in -30 I do it in flip flops, shorts and a t-shirt. Same when I'm out running errands in my car. I work outside most of the day and always wear shorts through winter and just a light jacket. Do this and you'll get used to the cold pretty quick. I wouldn't recommend doing barefoot shit though. Cold air is also nothing compared to cold water. Even that's hard for me once you get to the painful temperatures. I can still handle "hypothermia" water temperatures for 30+ minutes which feels good. Again, train and you get used to it. Russians have been doing this shit for hundreds of years.
>>
>>1575491
Is it possible that perhaps his high brown fat levels were mostly caused by his training and not his genetics?
>>
>>1577368
If it's popsicle it's possible.
>>
>>1577202
I knew them hoes would come to bite me in the ass.

>>1577333
>How do I into cold showers?
I'm not a fan of the cold either but if nothing else that shit really is revitalizing. Do deep breaths and try to keep relaxed, if the water is cold enough sometimes it makes you gasp but fuck me if it doesn't feel good. Give it a try.
>>
>>1577395
>but fuck me if it doesn't feel good.

That's my problem. It never feels good. It's like pain just a different sort. And after it's over my only feeling is that I'm glad it's over.
>>
>>1577398
I don't know then, anon. Let that cold water wash away the weakness and make you a stronger man, even if it's all pseudoscience, a little discomfort in our modern lives will not kill us. And if it ends up doing good then perfect.
Don't you go for swims in the ocean?
>>
>>1575367
The guy doesn't just pull energy out of nowhere. The tim hoff method seems to allow yourself to begin burning fat at will. Although you'll have to pack less clothing, if the trip is long, you'll have to pack more food or if you have a slower metabolism, build up some fat.
>>
>>1577333

Actually, the Wim Hof breathing technique did help me, personally with this. Was trying to get into cold showers in order to boost testosterone, but couldn't bare it at first because I'm a pussy. Started doing a few sets of Wim Hof breathing, which is basically a form of hyperventilation, prior and during and it becomes completly tolerable. Not saying I could go hiking naked up Kilimanjaro or anything, but it did help me in that small way, at least.
>>
>>1577333
Progressively work your way colder and colder. It will never stop sucking but your reaction to it will lessen each time.
>>
>>1577514
Thanks anon, I'll look it up.
>>
>four and half minute cold shower
My best so far, heavy breathing really helps.
>>
>>1577333
I’m from a warm climate, but I found out sitting in sauna beforehand was pretty awesome for being able to tolerate freezing showers. It takes the better part of an hour before anything cold feels uncomfortable to me.
>>
>>1577333
>go to bathroom
>check mirror mirin muscles or whatever to procrastinate for at least 5 minutes
>figure you wasted enough time
>turn on cold shower
>stand there for 5 seconds in fear
>step forward fully under water in 1 step
>20 seconds later realize the anticipation was actually worse than the cold water
>repeat
The initial unpleasantness will definitely lessen the more showers you take. I flinch for like 3-5 deep breaths and I'm completely comfortable.
>>
>>1577338
Such as?
>>
>>1577333
Tits or gtfo.
>>
>>1577260
learning how to control your breathing and gasp reflex will make this a lot easier though.
>>
>>1575367
tried the breathing excersizes for a while, holding lungs empty; full repetitions, got pretty decent for a smoker.. Now ive quit i might start it again.

Cold showers are good for waking up, blood vessils and hair growth ect. swimming in ice water is just crazy, probbaly gives a decent rush and its cheap so why not, new years dives arnt anything new
>>
>>1578632
this, its like overcoming the anticipation of negative experience, this is the lesson you are learning
>>
>>1578632
>20 seconds later realize the anticipation was actually worse than the cold water

I don't really get used to it without movement. Like in a pool I need to move constantly to not re-freeze. I'm not even a skinnyfag either.
>>
>>1579262
>I'm not even a skinnyfag either.
How big of a role does that play tho? Wim is not exactly a fatso, I assume that having good blood circulation is more important than having a thick layer of fat to insulate you.

This is just my high school dropout ass speaking, anyone with actual knowledge of the physiology behind it please feel free to explain it properly.
>>
I take cold showers, ice baths and make snow angels in my underwear. I'm not a fag who makes it into some kind of meditation shit. It's just the brown fat reserves you have to stimulate
>>
>>1578559
>4 minutes
Try 20
Borderline hypothermia is the only way to make gains
>>
>>1578559
Summer or winter? Tap water is waaay colder in the winter. 200 feet of copper pipe will warm the water too. It's also psychologically harder when you know it's -30 outside.
>>
>>1581079
it is mental control which is related to meditation, it allows you to ignore fears and focus. it's really training your higher mind, it doesn't have to be hippy shit, but there's still a lot of knowledge in what yogis figured out about mental and physical training.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.