[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1565249368665.jpg (98 KB, 1280x720)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
I just bought an inflatable boat, same as on the pic. How much pain will it be to row it for a mile and a half, if it is loaded with about 450lb my ass included? How long will it take me? Wind will be 4-10mph and I will be facing the wind.

inb4: trolling motor - I will test the boat first and then spend on a motor if I like it.

inb4: buy/rent a kayak - I probably will at some point of my life, but this thread is about the inflatable boat.
>>
>>1575011
Somewhere from a few hours to a whole afternoon. I mean on a calm day with a light load you might average 1 mph in a $75 raft, with a heavy load and a headwind you'll be practically at a stand still. If you want to improve your chances ditch the toy oars that come with it and get a kayak or canoe paddle, cause those "oar locks" aren't going to allow you to efficiently apply mechanical force. The reality is that boat is made by an air mattress company and is designed for horsing around at the local swimming hole, traveling any significant distance in it is going to take a lot of effort.
>t. former raft guide
>>
>>1575019
>>1575011
Also, just to clarify, you don't need to run /out/ and get a $2000 NRS hypalon raft but even just saving up and doubling/tripling the $75 that thing costs will start to get you better options even from Intex themselves. You still won't be fast, because rafts just aren't fast, but you might be a little less miserable doing it.
>>
>>1575019
Good thing I have a plan "B": stuff it in my backpack and carry it to the destination, then horse around for a day and repeat.

Now if I get a second pair of toy oars (I honestly don't see myself bending over those fat sides canoe-style) and make some of my load row with me - will it get my time down to 1-1.5 hours?

Or, if I combine hiking there with paddling back, when I have tailwind and whatever current is there on my side?
>>
>>1575025
OK, are you talking about a lake or a river? I assumed you were talking about crossing a lake.
>>
File: DSC0141.jpg (117 KB, 1500x1000)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>1575025
>>1575026
Also if you've got other people with you, fuck yes make them grow otherwise you're not going anywhere. Again, fuck the toy oars, they're useless. If you've got two people then get two paddles and R2 it, you'll move a HELL of a lot faster with two paddlers (still not fast because rafts just aren't fast on still water, but faster)
>>
File: 1565253926209.png (2.64 MB, 1920x1080)
2.64 MB
2.64 MB PNG
>>1575023
I know, it was more of an impulse buy to play on it with kiddos.
I'll probably fuck around with it for the rest of the summer and either sell it for half the price and buy a better one, or add an electric motor and fuck around for another summer.
>>1575026
It is a long narrow lake. Basically the picture.
>>
>>1575030
Thank you very much for your advices, I see now how can I paddle it.
>>
File: 61wYoMZo9YL._SX425_.jpg (6 KB, 425x239)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>1575031
As long as you're willing to accept the limits of the raft, you'll enjoy it. You'd be moderately faster if you had the wind at your back, but you'd still have to work to move and the wind will definitely wreck whatever tracking it has. The big beef I have with the toy oars is that the blades have a lot of flex and the locks are just rubber on rubber so a lot of the force you apply to them will be lost through the flex in the raft itself. You can get basic aluminum paddles for $20 a pop at most marine stores, they'll be a lot more effective and it'll be more fun as a group activity. Just make sure if you're sitting up on the gunnels that the weight is balanced.
>>
Well now that we've cleared that up, should we have an inflatables general? I've been scoping /out/ on of these firefly kayaks. $220ish on most sites, 16lbs so it's kinda heavy but it's got more structure than a raft and would be a lot faster and more maneuverable. I think it might be fun for packing to a backcountry lake and just dinking around for an afternoon.
>>
>>1575034
Also - how much pressure should I pump and how do I measure it? It says use a ruler (10cm ruler is included) but how the fuck am I supposed to measure pressure with a ruler?
>>
>>1575011
You're gonna have a bad time
>>
>>1575011
>450lbs my ass included
What 50lb gear are you bringing?
>>
>>1575031
How the fuck are you gonna attach a motor to an inflatable raft?
>>
>>1575037
Save your money anon
>>
>>1575151
You attach a metal frame and hang a motor onto it.
>>1575149
Not much, tent, sleep things, fishing things and clothes.
>>
>>1575159
How do you attach a metal frame? It'll pop?
>>
>>1575011

That isn't a boat, it's a vaguely boat-shaped object. It's a beach play toy at best.
>>
>>1575162
Look at the op pic, there are plenty of points to attach shit.
>>
>>1575037

They're heavy to carry, weather-cock like a motherfucker, don't track, and just generally no.
>>
>>1575165
Not a 80+lb motor. It'll fall off or pop the raft. Just spend $100 or less on a John boat and put the motor on it. Your gonna end up loosing your motor attaching it to the raft.
>>
>>1575171
No, they use smaller electric motors. Where the fuck am I supposed to store a jon, on my balcony? If I had storage space, I'd buy a canoe/kayak and fuck that motor thing.

I will follow that raft guy advice for now - get canoe paddles and paddle sitting on gunnels.
>>
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 300x168)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>1575151
they sell detachable transoms for the motor mount. there are also lash points on the boat to attach the motor mount.

>>1575174
get a piece of plywood to use as a floor the stiffer floor will make the boat much easier to paddle.
>>
>>1575011
Four hundred and fifty pounds......
>>
File: 1565300545805.jpg (131 KB, 900x900)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
>>1575202
What?

>>1575188
I will think about it in future, but that is going to take away portability. In my case there are woods with backcountry campsites, but only few are accessible on foot. So it's like I have 3 campsites within a mile, can see them across the lake but cannot get to them because of thick bush and swamps. The idea was to get sort of pocket boat that I can carry for a few miles and then hop across the lake or downstream, and also to fish.
>>
>>1575358
Well inflatables have improved a lot recently with better materials and the increasing popularity of pack rafting, but anything that will carry multiple people plus gear and still move efficiently through the water is going to cost some money and have some weight to it. There's a few companies that are playing around with ultralight solo flatwater rafts in the $200-$300 range, but that's about the bare minimum you'd have to spend to get something that isn't just an overambitious pool toy.
>>
Drop-stitch inflatables are becoming more common, too. It started with inflatable SUPs but they're using it for other boats now. Sea eagle IIRC has a drop-stitch canoe, it's still a but pricey though.
>Fun fact: this technology was pioneered by Goodyear in the 1950s to make inflatable airplanes for the CIA
>>
>>1575034
The locks on these are small too, lot of nice oars won't fit, and you can't easily change the locks because they are plastic welded on.

>>1575358
The whole raft is going to warp under you making it a bad time, I had this same one and had two of us in it at around 400lbs and it did. You'll be on your knees the whole way and working to keep your body upright. Much easier to paddle on a stable surface. Maybe can make a floor in sections that you can carry?
>>
File: 81pgvKndIHL._SX425_.jpg (15 KB, 425x425)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
I think award for most overrated inflatable has to go to the Klymit Lite Water Dinghy. This thing MSRP's for $179, and it really is just a pool floaty. There's some pretty great YouTube "reviews" of guys flopping around and getting soaked while saying "It's such a great pack raft!"
>>
File: 1565465904226.jpg (1.09 MB, 1536x1152)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
OP here. Took the boat car-camping, paddled about quarter mile across the lake and back with my wife and kids in the boat, using toy oars. Everything is like >>1576123 said.

What is the most annoying in the toy oars is how hard it is to keep blades vertical in the water. I put my bike gloves on to improve it, but it still sucks.

Would be OK with a hard floor and 2 canoe paddlers. Also need to make an anchor for fishing.
>>
>>1576662
That's always the trick with inflatables, especially cheap ones, adding structural rigidity without adding too much weight. I've seen some interesting mods for slackrafting (pack rafting with cheap boats) but there's only so much you can do with a cheap raft.
>>
>>1575011
I know two people that used inflatable kayaks and had them punctured when seals mugged them for fish. They had to ditch their catch and some of their gear and swim to their buddy, who then had to hustle back to shore in their one remaining kayak.

The other time something punched him hard from below and flung him off the kayak (he insists it was a white shark, I think it was a seal again), puncturing the kayak. Again, lose your catch, some of your gear, and have to be miserable and wet while your buddy drags you back in.

Don't use inflatables if you are planning any ocean-fishing.
>>
>>1576821
What about some white water rafting? I don't plan on using it for any ocean crap. That shit scares me too much. But I heard they seem great for rivers and stuff. Thoughts?
>>
>>1579147
That's not made for white water, so it depends on how much you value your gear because you will probably lose it.
>>
>>1579147
You won't get a whitewater grade inflatable for less than $1700.
>>
Cheap inflatables are like misbehaving children, they need firmness and structure.
>>
>>1579206
So does my dildo.
>>
>>1579174
The one I was looking at was starting at 1700$. I probably wont hit anything bigger than grade 3 though. The one I was looking at was a Alpacaraft. Its even one of the white water series. Forager to be specific, cause you never know if I might get a girl to go with me. Maybe one day. I hope.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.