[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 103 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: 191.jpg (337 KB, 512x512)
337 KB
337 KB JPG
Old thread: >>1569456

Search terms,
Agrarian, Agriculture, Agrology, Agronomy, Anthroponics, Aquaculture, Aquaponics, Berkeley Method Hot Composting, Cold Frames, Companion Planting, Composting, Container Gardening, Co-operative Farming, Core Gardening Method, Cultivation, Deep Water Culture (DWC), Dry Farming, Espalier, Farmer's Market, Forest Gardening, Forestry, Fungiculture, Geoponics, Greenhouses, Homesteading, Horticulture, Hot Boxes, Hugelkultur, Humanure, Hydroponic Dutch Bucket System, Hydroponics, Keyhole Garden, Korean Natural Farming, Kratky Method, Landscaping, Lasagna Gardening, Ley Farming, Market Garden, Mittleider Method, Mulching, No-till Method, Ollas Irrigation, Orchard, Permaculture, Plasticulture, Polyculture, Polytunnels, Propagation, Rain Gutter Garden, Raised Beds, Ranch, Rooftop Gardening, Ruth Stout No-work Garden, Sharecropping, Shifting Cultivation, Soil-bag Gardening, Square Foot Gardening, Stale Seed Bed, Straw Bale Gardening, Subsistence Agriculture, Sugar Bush, Truck Farming, Vermiculture, Vertical Gardening, Window Frame Garden, Windrow Composting

Agouti, Alpaca, Animal Husbandry, Antelope, Beefalo, Black Soldier Fly (BSF), Brushturkey, Capybara, Cattle, Cavy, Chickens, Coypu, Crayfish, Curassow, Dairy, Deer, Donkey, Dove, Duck, Emu, Feeder Insect, Fish, Game Bird, Geese, Giant Guinea Pig (Cuy), Goat, Grouse, Guan, Guineafowl, Hedgehog, Heliciculture, Honey Bee, Iguanas, Llama, Ostrich, Partridge, Pheasant, Pigeon, Pig, Poultry, Quail/Bobwhite, Rabbits, Rat (Cricetomy/Thryonomy), Sheep, Silkworm, Snail, Tegu, Toad, Trumpeter, Turkey, Worm

Resources,
General Info & Anon-created Guides: https://pastebin.com/grvmwQ01
Check sister thread: >>>/an/plant

Archives,
1-161:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/t0rb5nuqbpq80ss/1-161.7z
162-171:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/8c54zhwk8ddu7e5/162-171.7z
172-181:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/4e0d9x7mp5s43s7/172-181.7z
>>
>>1574333
>>
No updates, duck Anon?
>>
>>1574381
No news is good news?
>>
>>1574385
I don't really like that, i want to have good news too. Most of his updates are good news. Often with a bit of bad news, but mostly good.
>>
Is it a good idea to go to a farmer's market nearby and ask if they need any help on their farm so I can learn how to do this shit? I'm basically looking to become an apprentice.
>>
>>1574390
Only do it for payment either in money or crops in hand. don't do it for free and don't do it to pay them unless you are getting an actual educational degree for whatever odd reason. Yes, you can do that and you will more than likely get some seasonal part time work. That might be something like throwing square hay bales in the heat of summer, mucking stalls, spraying weed killer (best to skip that,) weed eating/removing brush, building/mending fencing, and any of the other 1,000+ things that people don't like doing. Only until you get that out of the way can you get down to learning things like when, what, and how to plant & take care of crops or raise animals.
>>
File: 006_5792a.jpg (143 KB, 1024x683)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
>>1574381
>>1574385
>>1574386
I built a small portable roof for a feeder today. It still needs a a bit more roofing and it will rest on blocks, but the framing is all done. It is in use already. Another duck may be on its way out due to injury. Two massive 30-35lbs male raccoons have been dispatched. I've never seen raccoons that large before, but now I know how they were able to break the live trap in the past. At least that has been fixed.
>>
File: 006_5794.webm (2.93 MB, 1280x720)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB WEBM
>>1574446
>>
>>1574447
holy shit anon, thats adorable as fuck.
>>
File deleted.
>tfw 1st female flower after 12 male flowers
>>
>>1574447
they've gotten so big! them lil butt wiggles are so cute
>>
Would 2 feet be a good height to to top my lemons at?
>>
>>1574564
Decide on an end goal and prune with that in mind.
>>
>>1574447
Nice ducks!

I raise muscovies myself.

I also love my guinea fowl. I have 14 chicks at the moment. They are worth looking into as they practically look after themselves
>>
>>1574599
Eh I was wanting a small tree about 2-3 feet tall but wanted to know if it would have any fruit at that size. Was thinking a bushy like a mini lemon tree only need a few lemons.
real question is are they self pollinating.
>>
File: 20190807_172852.jpg (4.09 MB, 4032x1960)
4.09 MB
4.09 MB JPG
Building a chicken coop within these borders. The fencing will be three times the size of the coop outline pic related
>>
>>1574679
Even small bonsai fruit.
>>
>>1574674
I have one muscovy left. I've raised guinea fowl before. I can't stand their sound and they seem to never be quiet. In fact, I can hear some right now at the neighbor's house 3/4 a mile away.
>>
>>
>>1574796
>>
I've noticed that almost all raised beds I've seen are surrounded by something that would allow water to drain through, be it soil, gravel, or grass. Would a raised bed still drain properly if surrounded by a walkway with a concrete base?
>>
How hard is it to grow a tobacco then dry it to smoke in my pipe?
>>
>>1574819
the hardest part is keeping bugs away
>>
File: 1494682727173.jpg (5 KB, 228x215)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
I have a mix of grass and broadleaf weeds that keep coming back when I pull them out and even survived me tilling in Spring. Now I have to basically almost no time to prepare the earth between my now almost finished crop and a winter crop of winter turnips and beets

Should I just dig the drills for the new seeds and continue to keep pulling them through winter?

Should I turn the soil or rototill them?

Should I use a broad spectrum herbicide?
>>
>>1574829
Could I do it potted indoors? I get a lot of light in the bay window.
>>
If I use epsom salt on my plants, does it have to be sprayed onto the plant leaves or can I just water the dirt instead and it'll do it's thing?
>>
>>1574798
What's in the middle? A tomato?
>>
>>1574833
size of the plot?
>>
Collected a bunch of lavender that grows on the side of the road in town. I was thinking of infusing it with coconut oil but I’m worried it would make my hair fall out cause pollution. Help.
>>
>>1574916

Yup, Green Zebra.
>>
What should I do if the terminal bud of my potato shoot dries out? Am I screwed?
>>
>>1574446
>>1574447
Nice! Did they start quacking? A vocaroo would be nice.
>>
>>1574682
How many chickens?

>>1574798
Nice. That black thing looks like a fishhook. Pepper or bean?

>>1574808
Regardless, of what "container" you use, the soil must always have a way to be well draining. So, if the raised bed is a concrete tub without proper drainage, the plants will probably get root rot or root burn from eventual salt build up. There would need to be some form of crack between the bottom and the walls, if the bottom isn't open. Having a much taller bed can mitigate some of these issues.

>>1574829
>>1574844
I think building a frame like >>1574796 uses then covering it with insect cloth will be the best thing for growing tobacco. If there's enough light, you can grow anything indoors.

>>1574833
Try, "soil solarization," then thick mulch or plasticulture. After solarizing, do not till deeper than 2 inches, during the growing season. If you do then you risk bringing up viable weed seeds from deeper in the soil; which will sprout and start the cycle all over again. At the end of the season or beginning you can till and solarize again.

>>1574900
It does nothing for leaves. Use in the soil instead. A little goes a very long way so make sure not to use too much.

>>1574937
Coconut oil is a common and well used carrier oil for essential oils, including lavender oil. While making essential oil of lavender is best, you can still make an infusion using coconut oil. There are a few tutorials online for how to do it,

https://madincrafts.com/how-to-infuse-oil-with-lavender/

I've not done lavender infusions myself.

>>1574990
A lateral bud/axillary bud should start growing on the side. If not then it will be a loss.

>>1575062
Yes, about 2 weeks ago for Batch 1. Sorry, I only use 4channel. I may upload something to /wsg/ in one of the, "webms with sounds for other boards," threads at a later date. The mic on the D3400 doesn't pic up sounds very well so most of the range is lost. I have a C01U that may work, but is a real bother to setup remotely.
>>
File: 65454.jpg (17 KB, 250x221)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
I can't take it anymore, lads. All I want in life is owning land away from everyone, or at least in a small village, grow stuff, own some animals and live off it without worries, preferably with a cute similar minded waifu or husbando, but here I am, stuck in shitty wagie job, living in suburb right next to the city, with all noise and pollution. And the wages here in this pseudo third world shithole, unless you have sick education and years of experience, is so pathetic, that I just can't see it happening in the next 20 years.
>>
File: i don knuw.jpg (1.19 MB, 1548x2064)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
>>1575066
>A lateral bud/axillary bud should start growing on the side. If not then it will be a loss.
So do I just keep watering it and hope for the best? The roots(green) look fine but the top(red) looks strange.
>>
File: Happy-Farmer.jpg (62 KB, 508x421)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>1575072
Wojak/frog posts are shitposts. Detail your plan for getting rid of your debt, saving up for purchasing land, and what your plan is for said land. Take your pity party to >>>/b/ Don't mention what you can't do, that list is too long for anyone to care about. Just list what you ARE doing to make your goals happen.

>>1575080
Wait longer, hope for the best.
>>
File: 1557027617665.png (16 KB, 500x400)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
Could I grow a bonsai tree indoors in Scandinavia? Is the light level sufficent enough? Also is there any way to collect rainwater, redirect this collected water in small doses to my plants? How could one do this? If you don't know, what would a system like this be called? Thanks for any help :)
>>
File: HvG_Bew11.jpg (197 KB, 1000x645)
197 KB
197 KB JPG
>>1575095
Trees need a great deal of light. Most bonsai tree species are kept outside and only brought indoors to work on them or to display them for a short time during an event or when you have company. They should spend the rest of the time outdoors. Tree species that require dormancy periods in winter will need to be outside or kept in special refrigerators for their winter dormancy period.

Rainwater catchment systems are quite varied. There are gravity fed & distributed and pump-driven systems. You can couple a rainwater catchment system with any automatic watering system. That can be wick systems, pump systems on timers, float valve systems or whatever you want to use.

A finished bonsai will have the pot very shallow. An automatic, timed, watering system may be best for those. Specifically, "drip irrigation." Check out Blumat and Gardena Microdrip automated systems for ideas. Also see: >>>/an/plant
>>
>>1575091
Based.
>>
Ive been putting up a similar thread on /pol/ for a while and never knew this was here. Thanks to a Swiss-anon who linked me here. Good thread, better pastebin.
>>
>>1575091
Oh, calm down, just because I wojakposted, doesn't mean I'm a shitposter. At least I stayed to the topic.
To answer your question, the only redeemable thing about my situation is that I am debt free, thanks to my autism about debts. As for the plans, for now I'll just continue being a wagie, and pinching every penny I possibly can, as well as start on some side hustles during my free days (I work 3 entire days, then have 3 days off), and try to profit more from my trade (photography), although that too requires investments, as nobody want to hire someone who's using basic entry level gear and lenses, no matter how good you are. Got other plans to add some passive income, but that is not worth discussing if they're still only plans.
As for what I want to grow, for starters I'd double down on what I currently grow, simple stuff like cucumbers, pumpkins, fruit trees, onions, zucchini, tomatoes, etc. Expand on other veggies. Would also love to start growing some herbs, such as peppermint, maybe some flowers too. Talking about animals, I'd probably start out with chickens and goats if I could.
Getting land and growing stuff is one thing. Actually managing to live off it, is a different question entirely. That will require a lot of study for years to come.
>>
>>1575172
Here is the best book recommendation I can make for those who live in cold climates
>>
File: what this.jpg (550 KB, 1196x2020)
550 KB
550 KB JPG
Stupid question here. Is this wheat? If not what kind of crop is it? Can I plant it to get more of it?
>>
>>1575275
If I had to guess I'd say barley.
>>
Recently planted some peppers. Going to slowly take over this backyard in squares, probably sowing carrots next
>>
File: 20190808_144116.jpg (1.18 MB, 2560x1440)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
What deficiency is this on my tomatoes
>>
Anyone know this is called and how to get rid of it? I showed someone at a greenhouse once and they said my soil had a deficiency but I can’t remember anymore
>>
>>1575176
grab some cheap pots and some seeds for herbs and start growing them indoors at a window. its the small things anon they add up. start small and improve yourself first
>>
Hey fellas, any advice on growing mushrooms? Not the degenerate kind, like oysters and such. I want to set up a greenhouse/mush"room" and produce a lot, but does anyone have some advice on where to start? It's my dream to pull off a large production, so I want to see where I can start off and get some learning experience.
>>
File: 20190808_200759.jpg (277 KB, 1000x750)
277 KB
277 KB JPG
My hydroponic seed starter had a hole in the plastic wrap, so I added some water and left it out to rehydrate. Is the white stuff a harmful fungus or just mineral buildup from the tap water?
>>
>>1575450
Are they dry with that white shit on them? If so, it's probably just minerals from the water like you said. In any case, you could let them fully dry out to eliminate guess work.
>>
File: grdn.jpg (1.95 MB, 3249x2268)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB JPG
Pic - My garden last year. Raised bed extending 12" below ground level, frame made by me out of pine planks.
>>
>>1575450
It's a fungus that's completely harmless to plants, perhaps even helpful. Do not despair.
>>
>>1575478
Nice. I can never keep my squash vines in one place. They usually take over.
>>
>>1575481
Pumpkins are on the very left, just a couple leaves there. Nice identification. They did get out of control so I trained the big pumpkin vine up a wood tepee trellis and rigged a nylon hammock for the pumpkin to grow in to prevent it from taking over the whole area. Grew a 42lb pumpkin in a hammock. :D
>>
>>1575484
>42lb pumpkin in a hammock
Christ, thanks for reminding me I have 2+ that started 3-4 feet off the ground on my fence that need a slings.
>>
File: pmkn.jpg (1.42 MB, 2445x3196)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB JPG
>>1575485
Would recommend doing so. Very satisfying. Though I will say I accidentally knocked the hammock out from under it when it was at least 20lbs and it didn't screw it up. So you've probably got a little time. (:
>>
>>1575487
Got any pics?
>>
File: 20190808_173843.jpg (4.71 MB, 5312x2988)
4.71 MB
4.71 MB JPG
>>1574333
Does anyone have any clues as to what this pest who lives (mostly on the bottoms) on my hollyhock? They are eating it alive! :(

I am in AZ if that provides any further context.
>>
>>1575489
If that is indeed insects (I can't tell for sure from the pic what the yellow/black things are) then it looks a lot like spider mites.
>>
>>1575489
Neem oil supposedly works on them. Personally, I'd use spinosad. The stuff is really really effective and works on the nastiest things that neem oil doesn't. You can get it on amazon pretty cheap. Ex. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BWY3OQ
>>
>>1575444
don’t personally know all that much, but you can apparently grow several pounds mushrooms out of a single closet. i’d say read some of stamets’ work, particularly “mycelium running” and “growing gourmet and medicinal mushrooms”
>>
>>1575360
magnesium deficiency. add some epsom salt 20g/litre or tomato fertilizer in general since youve got other spotting happening too
>>
File: corn1.jpg (225 KB, 1145x2048)
225 KB
225 KB JPG
Gonna drop a few recent pics. Here is some corn my wife and i grew. Kinda fancy
>>
File: corn2.jpg (242 KB, 2048x1152)
242 KB
242 KB JPG
>>1575532
more corn
>>
File: pumpkins.jpg (658 KB, 1638x2048)
658 KB
658 KB JPG
>>1575533
Early season pumpkins. one on the right is some kind of iraqi pumpkin, pretty rare and based
>>
If a person had 12 ounces of leftover beer would it be good for the compost pile or garden on a daily basis?
>>
>>1575172
Tbh, i prefered the /pol/ threads, just wish shills and shitposters would stay out of them, but yeah this one is better for more detailed stuff.
>>
File: garden august 2019 - 018.jpg (1.19 MB, 2000x1460)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
DWC watermelon update:
Went from this >>1572266 to pic related in just under a week. No issues so far. I also took a bunch of male flowers today and used them to pollinate the watermelon plant outside.
>>
>>1575572
Its better if you first convert the beer into piss, more nitrogen and shit that plants need.
>left over beer
Wtf?
>>
>>1575591
Can we stick with my premise? Is it useful in my garden or should i dump it down the drain
>>
>>1574819
Mary Jane is easy especially if you don't want the high
>>
saw some tomato plants had been attacked, and low and behold I find a goddamn tomato worm after thinning some branches out

I want to skewer them alive and just watch them die slow deaths
>>
>>1575595
Drink it and piss in your garden.
>>
>>1575644
Order some parasitic wasps from the internets.
>>
>>1575648
but can they sting people....
>>
>>1575649
Can they? Probably. Will they? No. The adults pollinate your garden too.
>>
File: hornets.png (307 KB, 726x639)
307 KB
307 KB PNG
>>1575651
the bees I don't mind, but a bunch of fucking wasps or something came out of nowhere the last time I was mowing, and I couldn't get away fast enough before one stung me

screw that
>>
>>1575654
No anon, these wasps are smoll and are based and are frens, not nigger wasps.
>>
>>1575487
comfy bumpkin :D

>>1575533
>>1575534
nice!

>>1575654
parasitic wasps specialize in hunting other bugs to feed their own larvae, they dont do normal wasp things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMG-LWyNcAs
>>
>>1575654
>>1575661
>>1575669
All wasps are bros. Just don't disturb there homes. This includes paper wasps. The only time I ever get stung by them is when I'm being a retard around their nest (literally shaking it) or don't see them and press up against them (fucking window curtains!)
>>
>>1575176
I spent about $5k on entry-level gear (D3400) and have pretty much everything I could ever need for photography. I bought a lot of vintage manual glass off ebay. I love that stuff and how it looks. I also made a lot of DIY lenses for various artistic things. When I worked using my camera it was for making virtual tours online and taking photos for realtors. I made enough to pay back all the money I spent on the gear and now only use it for hobby stuff.

For motivation, I suggest getting a couple of grow lights so you can grow herbs indoors. Having just a little bit of something like what >>1575414 also suggests can go a long way towards mood and motivation. When you finally get some land and begin starting with animals, I suggest strictly poultry and/or rabbits for the first couple of years. They are extremely cheap to take care of, have relatively short lives, and you can get into the animal husbandry mindset without putting too much investment capital down. It will get you thinking about more farm infrastructure and how to utilize it.

After an entry level period of poultry/rabbits has passed and you feel like you have a good handle on the various aspects of animal husbandry, move onto raising larger livestock like the goats. Be warned, goats are higher maintenance than most livestock. They are very inquisitive, bold, and can climb pretty much anything. A well built and well designed fence with electric is a must to keep them inside and protect them from predators or even road traffic. If you can raise goats, you can raise anything.

Protip: If you raise animals for butchering and eating you should raise them by the dozen or more. Also, do not name food-animals nor allow anyone else to name them. This helps to shield your mind so you don't end up with a lot of, "pets." That is the main failure point of people new to small farms. They end up loving animals instead of eating them.

Good luck with that endeavor. Post pics when you get there.
>>
So I've built fog cloning chamber, seemed fine yesterday, but for some reason one of the reapers I ried to clone wilted overnight...
Any of you have experience with this kind of cloning? What could go so wrong that this single one dies out but the rest survived?
I even though it's the best looking one and not the small cutting I'm experimenting with on majority of others...
>>
>>1575182
Here's the pdf version of that,
http://gen.lib.rus.ec//book/index.php?md5=BCC6E6BF10D436FE504DA5EB51D03118

>>1575275
I think it is just a wild grass. The grain head isn't very well developed like rye, barley, triticale, emmer, or wheat. There's a chance it is one of those and just needed more nutrients to develop better. However, I see tons of wild grasses in my area that look like that. Yes, you could plant it and get more of it, if you wish. I would get a couple seeds out and see how large they are. That can also help with identification.

>>1575355
They look like they need some partial shade until they get over transplant shock. Good luck with the conversion.

>>1575400
That's very distinctive. I recall seeing it before, but the name escapes me. Try over over >>>/an/plant and make sure to mention what part of the world it is located in. To get rid of it, just change the pH of the soil I think. Get a soil test kit and test the pH level first to know where it is now. You probably just need some lime for the soil and good drainage.

>>1575444
Growing mushrooms is super easy. I've grown them in kits (pearl oyster) and in logs (shiitake). In the OP pastebin there's a fungi/mushroom beginner guide in the, "Guides (Anon-created)," section. Personally, I think growing them on logs is the easiest, but that requires logs from freshly cut down live trees which may be expensive or prohibitive for you. Sawdust, grain, and/or woodchips will be more accessible and cheaper.

>>1575450
From how even the coverage is, I think it is just tap water minerals. Even if it was fungi, it wouldn't harm the plants.

>>1575489
I think I see a couple aphids or their shed skins.

>>1575572
It should be fine, but best used in the compost than directly in the soil that plants are currently using. Fresh beer in the soil may attract pests like gastropods and whatever local furry varmints you have in your area (opossums, skunks, and raccoons love beer traps for slugs).
>>
>>1575644
Bt spray (a bacterial spray) is the quickest way to get rid of caterpillars while they are still tiny. Parasitic wasps is a much slower method and the caterpillars will have a good bit of time to eat a substantial portion of the crop before they are hit with the parasitic wasps.
>>
>>1575688
How much of the stem is sticking down into the mist? Has the stem had a crushed section like bending at a sharp angle when putting into the foam? What is the dewpoint and is it where the dew can form on the stems? Some foggers can heat up quite substantially and screw up the dewpoint which won't allow dew to properly form on the stems.
>>
File: what.png (1.23 MB, 571x1014)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB PNG
What's this? It's growing by my herbs but I didn't plant it. I planted chives, thyme, and rosemary.

It smells kinda minty.
>>
>>1575702
Looks like rosemary. Enjoy.
>>
>>1575698
It sticks down just like the other ones..
I don't see any crushing or bending in the stem.
Dew is forming, I can see it on the plastic cups.. to be honest, I did see it on some of the other stems but not on this one so it crossed my mind, but I don't know how to fix that, all the conditions are the same..
I even placed it near the center of the box, where the fogger is so it would catch more, or even some of the droplets it produces...
It does heat up, water was warm-ish, so I've put it on a timer, every 10 min it turns off for a few, not enough for fog to settle but enough for water to cool down a bit... Other cuttings don't mind it, so I guess it's fine...
>>
>>1575698
>>1575709
Also, do you think this cutting is too far gone or is there a chance for it to come back?
>>
File: gfhjkjkhgf.png (1.15 MB, 571x1014)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB PNG
>>1575704
Then I don't know what this is, I thought this was rosemary but their sizes are completely different.
This is growing where I planted the thyme (which there is a bunch of), what you said is rosemary is actually where I planted the rosemary, it's just so little of it I thought it was something else.
>>
>>1575709
>>1575712
Was it always in the middle above the fogger? If so then perhaps that zone is just a wee bit too hot for a plant? I'd leave it until it dries out or starts to obviously go bad. Then I'd replace it. If the new one has the same problem in the same spot, but the others are fine around it then don't put anything in that location.

>>1575713
That one is a weed. It is most likely Galium spp. of some type. If it has strips of short, velcro-like thorns, on its stem then it is cleavers (Galium aparine). G. aparine is edible when very young and tender, but unpalatable later on. Its seeds have caffeine and you can roast them to make a type of caffeinated beverage similar to a weak coffee.
>>
>>1575727
No, I just moved it there to force more water on it..
Dunked it in water an hour ago, it came back, still looks good and alive... I'll see in another few hours if it stays that way...
>>
>>1575694
>>1575355
I'll have overcast for the next two days, will my peps recover by then?
>>
>>1575863
I've give them partial shade for 1 week. Mulching the ground around them will help keep the soil cool and moist, which will also help them adjust.
>>
>>1575595
you can use it in slug traps to drown slugs
>>
>>1575694
You were right about poor drainage and using lime, it was liverwort
>>
>>1575727
>>1575746
Just one forced dunk of the stem in water obviously made the fog "stick" to it now, so its all fine and living...
Even 15min on/ 15min off is fine, so theres no way water gets too warm...
Thanks for your help!
>>
>>1575942
>liverwort
Christ, I was googling "lungwort" and wondering why I wasn't finding what I was thinking. lol

>>1575951
Yeah, another thing I thought of, but neglected to type out, was the possibility of some sort of condensation-preventing coating on the stem.
>>
File: 063.jpg (2.95 MB, 3000x1920)
2.95 MB
2.95 MB JPG
>>
>>1575654
Some wasps like to bury their nests in the ground. It's possible you ran over it with the mower and will have to exterminate them. Theres a guy on YouTube that does it with store bought killers. I forget the name though and he usually still gets stung a few times.
>>
>>1575275
Barley
>>
>>1574796

Anyone else in the city dealing with pollination problems? Our zuchinni plant got huge but only ever produced tiny fruits that would just fall off, and our beans aren't producing at all.
>>
File: IMG_20190809_232256.jpg (4.09 MB, 3024x4032)
4.09 MB
4.09 MB JPG
balcony anon here, first time pickling. only have like 5 fruits but better do it before they go bad in the fridge.

1dl apple cider vinegar (5%)
0,5dl vinegar (12%)
2dl water
2tblsp sugar
some mustard seeds

will post update in a couple weeks
>>
>>1575981
gonna try our traditional 1-2-3 (parts vinegar-sugar-water) pickling for the next batch and see which i like better, if any more of the damn pods ripen in this shit weather
>>
File: IMG_20190809_234327.jpg (3.94 MB, 3024x4032)
3.94 MB
3.94 MB JPG
>>1575981
>>1575984
label came off when i added some black pepper, salt and koriander so here's a better shot
>>
What are you guys planting this time of year? I'm in Detroit, MI. I'm planting the last of my peas & beans. Did some broccoli a few weeks ago but I don't think they'll flower in time.
>>
>>1575991

Broccoli, Pak Choi, Chinese Cabbage, Kale, Turnips, Winter Radishes.

Zone 7a/b here, so the broccoli is a little late actually but we'll see.
>>
>>1575991
Chard and peas.
>>
Growing some potatoes. Planted them a few weeks ago or so. How do they look anons?
>>
>>1576028
They look fine. Are the pots well draining?
>>
>>1575960
if I find it, I'll just pour some old gas down the whole and burn them alive
>>
>>1576028
Beautiful.
>>
File: Rise hand.png (125 KB, 441x373)
125 KB
125 KB PNG
Question: I'm trying to germinate a pecan nut tree (chestnut?), so I took the classic route of breaking the pointy tip, wrapping the nut in wet paper, and let it grow.

A week later.

Out of 6 nuts, 1 haven't germinated and have this green mold thing, so I have to put it apart from the others.

4 are growing as expected, with the white root thing, and the woody shell ripping from one tip to the other.

Here's the question: the last one have a bit of both cases. It have this white root thing growing, small and slow, but it's clear it's there. However, it also have this green mold thing, and I think some type of fungus is also there. It's black and gray with a cotton like texture growing next to it.

So, do you think is going to be viable and should be keep in paper until it grows bigger, or should I discard it?
>>
>>1576215
It sounds like the mold is growing on the shell(?), which isn't necessarily harmful to the baby tree. Impossible to say for sure, but I'd keep it. I think it'll survive.
>>
>>1576032
That was something I was worried about, the drainage. I think the pots already had small holes in them, but we did talk about drilling larger ones. But as they are, I've had no issue. They grow inches a day, I put soil over the plants (the right pot is newest, left is oldest) and they grow over it as soon as I walk away. I'm excited to get some beds placed so I can grow more next year.
>>
>>1576171
Thank you! I was worried the newest crop (the right pot) weren't going to grow or maybe they'd died in the pot. I put water on them and came back the next day and they were grown an inch or so above the soil. The pot on the left is the oldest and I think I'm going to leave it be with the soil, running out of real estate on that pot.
>>
File: HappyHabs.jpg (2.94 MB, 1920x2248)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB JPG
Checking in, I harvested 56 habaneros from my plant. Super happy about it!
>>
>>1576378
Issues will arise later, if drainage is poor. Good luck.
>>
>>1576057
No need for lighting it. The gas will work by itself.

>>1576215
Wait longer & observe.
>>
>>1576380
That's pretty good actually.
>>
>>1576387
I'll see to it that something's done about it. I'd rather not lose my first crop of taters!
>>
File: IMG_20190810_133704.jpg (914 KB, 2496x1872)
914 KB
914 KB JPG
New harvest.
All are hydro. With these pretty much all the pods from the first flowering are harvested on these plants. One of the plants is still flowering and new pods are forming but the plant that got spider mites isn't. I guess it is still recovering from the shock.
I am not harvesting the reapers because they are mainly for my brother that lives on the UK. A family member will visit him in about 2 weeks. I will harvest the reapers that are ripe then and pass them on to my brother.
>>
File: IMG_20190809_130446.jpg (1.07 MB, 2496x1872)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
>>1576441
This is a small harvest I did mid-week.
Single hydro on the left. The rest are soil.
>>
>>1576441
>>1576443
man im so jelly. you've gotten more in single harvests than i've gotten since first of mine ripened 3 weeks ago. fucking shit weather
>>
>>1576279
Huh, no, the green mold is growing directly on the white soft edible thing in the centre. As for the cotton black and gray thing, is also growing inside the shell, and although I can't confirm, I suspect it's also growing on the white meat inside the shell, but can't look to deep.

>>1576389
Is any risk of the mold infecting the rest of the nuts?
>>
>>1576544
>Is any risk of the mold infecting the rest of the nuts?
Just keep the infected ones away from the healthy ones and reduce the amount of water to prevent mold issues in the first place. As soon as something sprouts, make sure it is planted in its final location.
>>
File: tall boys.jpg (521 KB, 1459x1094)
521 KB
521 KB JPG
Finally got a decent rain last night, nearly 20 mm. There is only so much water I'm willing to put on the lawn and its just been enough to keep it alive but not thriving.

13th picking of beans this morning brings the season total to 6.3 kg. First planting is nearly done so after I pick Monday I'll put in the 3rd planting. The starter plants are too tall, so my concern until then is protecting them from the wind.

Yellow beans yield is much higher than green and the plants are smaller, so I'll probably plant mostly yellow next year.

Pulled the potatoes from the first 2 of my 5 fabric pots since the plants are dying off. Tomatoes all started ripening a few days ago. Carrots are a bit slow since this year's rotation has them in a less sunny spot.
>>
File: IMG_20190810_203537.jpg (2.85 MB, 4032x3024)
2.85 MB
2.85 MB JPG
Today's harvest. We ripped up all the tomatoes to make room for fall stuff going in. Doing fried green tomatoes tonight.
>>
Relevant thread >>/int/109685695
>>
File: IMG_20190810_204230.jpg (1.67 MB, 4032x3024)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB JPG
>>1576792

Our worm bin setup also worked super well. The middle bin here was the top bin and was getting full so we moved it to the middle, started putting foodscraps in the new top bin, and the worms migrated up to where there was more food, so the middle bin is now just compost.
>>
File: IMG_20190810_204252.jpg (3.52 MB, 4032x3024)
3.52 MB
3.52 MB JPG
>>1576796

Middle bin. The bigger things are just egg shells and some newspaper that wasn't completely broken down. The rest is all worm castings.
>>
>>1576794
Fuck I always forget it's 3 meme arrows for interboard link. >>>/int/109685695
>>
>>1576797

Ah, just noticed that sticker! Gonna have to have a talk with my girlfriend.
>>
Actually reposting this, since I mistakenly posted on /diy/ and didn't realize this board had this thread. I always assumed this was about sports-related activities, but I'm glad it's here.

First time posting here, but there is no other board for me to post this relevantly, so here goes.

I just planted some pumpkin seeds earlier this week and actually got my first sprouts today. I realize that it's actually quite late in the season to be planting pumpkins, but I actually have a narrow window where I'm at that, with some luck, will let me harvest them before Thanksgiving, since Halloween is certainly out of the question.

This is actually my first time, and in truth more of an experimental run so I'm kind of playing it by ear here (of course with due research and a little bit of help from my mother, actually). I'm not sure where it came from, but I got a sudden sense of urgency and desire to embark upon this project, even though it was late, and if this batch of pumpkins turns out successful or at least close to it, I'll be ready for next year where I'll do it again but this time on time and correctly.

Just wanted to share this somewhere. I'm interested in hearing any of your own growing/homesteading stories and/or current growing projects.
>>
>>1576873
>>
>>1576380
Very nice!
What do you plan to do with all those habaneros?
>>
>>1576873
>>1576874
Awesome bud. I've had a recent, strong, desire to start growing food for me and my family so I planted potatoes. I actually posted my potatoe sprouts up above. Admittedly it's fairly late for potatoes but damn it I wanted to do it and they're doing spectacular.

My 'tots: >>1576028
>>
Alright guys, need some help. I am a 22 year old NEET looking to start culltivating my own crops. What are some simple things to grow to begin with. I live in Australia so I have two basic problems with the property i live on. A) There is no real cover from wind and B) kangaroos love to eat all our plants. How do i go about getting started with crops and at the same time how do i stop them from being damaged by the elements. Cheers guys
>>
File: pimpkins.jpg (303 KB, 684x709)
303 KB
303 KB JPG
>>1576873
that dirt looks dreadful and probably need serious modifying, or a good opportunity to use a raised bed

>pumpkin

planted a bunch, but likely either the effing groundhogs or rabbits ate most of the plants

there's still at least one out there though
>>
File: index.jpg (14 KB, 300x199)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
is it possible to grow onions or garlic in a regular plant pot in your appartment/ flat?
>>
>>1576441
In my Zone 5 there's still enough time for a 2nd harvest of some pepper cultivars. Though, I harvested all the Hungarian wax peppers I'll need until next season. I still need more bell peppers.

>>1576599
That looks like a good production going on.

>>1576792
Nice last haul. My tomatoes are still producing & ripening. I'm actually a bit behind in harvesting and canning them.

>>1576796
>>1576797
Looks good. I can never keep worms here. The temps get too high for them in summer. They just want to crawl out because of that.

>>1576873
>>1576874
Welcome! I highly recommend making and using polytunnels to help extend your season on both ends. They are really cheap and easy to setup. That is what I do and it helps a great deal. I can squeeze in 2 seasons of crops when I use short-season "northern" cultivars.

As the other anon states, the local soil looks terrible. What I do when breaking new ground is like what it appears you are doing. That is to dig out the local soil in only the spot I'll plant so just the root ball of the plant has the good soil, like making a container for the ground.

I recommend adding some winter greens; either for salad or for cooking.

>>1576918
Make a list of foods you eat or will want to try. Look at what ingredients for those foods are the most common. Grow those plants/raise those animals. Get local cultivars of those plants so that they can be better adapted to your area. Local farmers at farmers markets and at livestock auction houses are your best bet for local sources for local crop seeds.

>wind
Make or grow windbreaks.

>varmints
Build fences. Use electric fencing. Any location where electric fencing is used, the dryness of the ground can be the biggest problem. The fence must short out across the animal. If the grounding rods are not deep enough or the ground is ultra dry, electric fencing won't work very well. Use barrier walls instead, if that is the case.

>>1576928
Yes, I do that for their tops. Larger pots are better.
>>
>>1576905
Hey, that's very cool man. I actually have a sweet potato growing in a glass right next to me right now. In fact, I think that was what inspired me to try something more serious. It just fascinated me how the potato just started sprouting leaves out of nowhere. Good luck on your own potatoes, they look good.

>>1576919
So the thing about it is, interestingly enough, yeah it does look piss poor, but my mother has been using that lot for years in varying stages and states with her own stuff, which means over time the sand has been mixed with soil and other minerals and vitamins. It does need to be rejuvenated to be fair, so that's what I'm doing now.

I also have a rabbit, and actually I just got finished right now barricading the garden so he can't get in. Poor guy will just have to deal with it for now.

>>1576950
>Welcome!
Thank you. I'm glad to have found this place. I'm not familiar with polytunnels. As I mentioned, this is my first time doing this (seriously at least).

I will mention that I don't particularly care for other vegetables and fruits, really, just pumpkins and melons since I tend towards an affinity for vine plants. DESU, flowers and stalk-y plants don't interest me nearly as much, but I'm certainly willing to give them a try perhaps. Maybe I'll try some onions or garlic.

Anyways, here is a picture of the first sprouts. There are only two remaining, but I anticipate they'll surface either later today or by tomorrow. Few words can express the joy I feel seeing these little guys successfully emerge.
>>
>>1576918
windbreaks and chicken wire or plant nets.
>>
>>1576928
yes.
>>
Had a japanese sweet potato left out too long and it had developed two sprouts very close to another. Lopped them off, ate the rest and grew both sprouts in pots for a bit. One had a head start due to more tater meat on it when I split the two, so I planted that outside about a month ago. The smaller one I put out last week. The first one has vined out to about a meter~yard, the suckers aren't long enough to shove back into the ground yet.

Forgetting of course to check the calendar and typical grow time for these guys. I'm in Zone 5.
When should I try to harvest? Looking like November~December at the earliest, but will they survive winter if I leave them be, or will I want to make something for them? Assuming rodents don't dig them up first.

Separate issue, whiteflies stressed some cucumber and pumpkin enough that they only shot off leaves and their flowers failed. Still have some other tomatoes and eggplants still growing, but should I enact chemical warfare now or wait until I've harvested everything?
And for future prevention, any way to make the garden area more inviting to ladybugs?
>>
>>1575958
i get the impression that even chinks make fun of chinks like this
>>
File: wanted.jpg (25 KB, 227x297)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>sorghum is falling over
>happen to be out near the garden just watching
>a giant flock of invasive House sparrows....little tiny birds....are swarming the sorghum, weighing down the stalks until they crash to the ground then pull apart the just-starting seed heads
>they are doing similar to the corn and ears
>Accept - Son Of A Bitch (Lyrics on screen).webm

....Wednesday I'm planning on netting everything, when I can get to the hardware store, but fuck these birds.

>check local laws about these creatures...
Well, now. It seems I can wage war all I want with no limits. Also, cage traps seem to be the top way to catch them and I happen to have everything needed to make several...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1vaX0KWY34
>>
>>1576873
Serious question:
Do you live on the moon?
>>
>>1577188
Away from all the troubles of this world? If only if it were so easy. No, I live in the lower southwest, desert area. There's the reason for the seeming destitute bleakness of the image if that's what you were wondering.
>>
File: 1565553817774-1823833563.jpg (1.31 MB, 2576x1932)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB JPG
>>1576487
Its the start of canning season.
>>
File: construction shiba.jpg (194 KB, 1024x768)
194 KB
194 KB JPG
I know its a bit late in the season to be doing it, but anyone have any tips about getting into small-scale beekeeping? It seems fun as heck and I want to have enough to get into making my own mead.
I was thinking of just getting prepared for it now so I'm ready for spring.
>>
File: 1565554058762-272884395.jpg (2.48 MB, 2576x1932)
2.48 MB
2.48 MB JPG
No internet but Ive kept busy.
>>
File: 15655542506601729889947.jpg (1.76 MB, 2576x1932)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB JPG
I also broke the camera on this phone.
>>
File: 1565554379465-1510502670.jpg (2.09 MB, 2576x1932)
2.09 MB
2.09 MB JPG
>>
File: 1565554624897-1678625669.jpg (2.55 MB, 2576x1932)
2.55 MB
2.55 MB JPG
Planted fall crops. Theyre doing coming along.
>>
File: 1565554791684445650800.jpg (2.05 MB, 2576x1932)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
I got to clean up my strawberry patch its got some weeds in it.
>>
>>1577176
pellet gun?

>>1577217
those jalapenos I see?

>>1577218
search to see if there is a beekeeping club/group in your area
>>
>>1577217
>tfw neck deep in canning season for over a month now
Looks good.

>>1577218
Seconding the recommendation of joining your area's bee keeper's association. You can get good advice, help others, get help, share/rent equipment (honey spinner/hot knife,) and find cheap/free used supplies. Start out with 1-2 hives and don't skimp on a bee suit or hive maintenance & pest control. Research the farms (orchards & flowering crops) in your area that are within a 2 miles radius of your location. Make sure none are using pesticides that will affect bees and rub elbows for future pollination services further out. check farmer's markets for farmers who may need pollination services if you want to go that route.

>>1577219
Things are looking good!

>>1577225
Wow, those chicken stone carvings sure are realistic...

>>1577249
>pellet gun?
Takes too long and they get smart. They will just not be there while you are there, but as soon as you leave... A repeating trap, of some kind, will work while you are not there. I'm going to try a modified V trap/ladder trap.
>>
>>1577022
>I actually have a sweet potato growing in a glass right next to me right now. In fact, I think that was what inspired me to try something more serious. It just fascinated me how the potato just started sprouting leaves out of nowhere.
Yep I know how ya feel! Planted my idaho russets just to see if it would work. I kind of expected it to fail, but they're doing excellent. Good luck on your crops as well man. Here's to a good grow and harvest!
>>
>>1577293
Potatoes are easy to grow. It takes a lot for them to fail. Usually that only happens when someone overwaters them or there's a ton of rain that season.
>>
>>1575981
>>1575988
Looks like you got quite a bit of air in there buddy, i hope that's an opened one and not one for storage. You should fill them to the brim, if the peppers start floating they might go bad

I've heard fermenting is a good way to pickle peppers too
>>
AAAAAAAA WHY ARE MY PEPPERS SO SMALL AAAAAA
THEY'RE SHORTER THAN A CENTIMETER AAAAAAA
>>
>>1577648
What cultivar?
>>
>>1577649
Iunno, I got it from the store one day.
Some of them (like 4 total) grew to at least 2 inches, but most of them are super small.
>>
>>1577650
Next time, write down what they are called. lol They may be hot peppers or "ornamental" peppers, though the latter are usually purple or vibrant. All are edible, but may be really small. There are a lot of hot peppers that are tiny and super hot.
>>
File: IMG_20190812_150446.jpg (1.86 MB, 1872x2496)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB JPG
Update on the Ginger using Kratky's sub-irrigation method.

Without any doubt this is the easiest method to grow stuff. I haven't touched the setup once since starting to feed from the nutrient barrel. I am seriously considering extending it next year to grow tomatoes and peppers too.
>>
>>1577615
>ton of rain
isn’t that what killed the irish
>>
File: Of peaches and possums.jpg (473 KB, 1024x1364)
473 KB
473 KB JPG
1st peach harvest. These white-fleshed peaches are godly tasting, soft and really sweet. Local store peaches are hard, unripe, and sour. Bonus, shot an opossum out of the peach tree. Minus 11 opossums with one shot. Fed to chickens.
>>
File: 1564107226894.gif (89 KB, 602x476)
89 KB
89 KB GIF
>>1577693
>Killing the cute rattos
You monster!
>>
>>1577693
I'm a hard man anon but even I draw the line at baby killing. Shoulda just given them to a normie animal shelter and say you hit ma with a car or some shit.
>>
>>1577693
Nice. Some little shit has been eating the avocados out of my tree, I wish I could shoot it but I live in the suburbs. Best I can do is BBs, and even then I have to watch my angle. Getting a game cam tonight so I can catch the little shit on camera and figure out what to do from there.
>>
my beppers are fucking huge
got a reaper plant that's 4 feet tall now
>>
>suddenly realize I forgot about harvesting the Hosta seed pods.
>run out to check them
>they are now unpalatable due to their texture being hardened up
NOOOOO!!!

I can't effing believe I forgot those. I have a bumper crop of them too. I've been doing so much that it completely skipped my mind. I may just let the pods go to seed and see if I can make another large patch somewhere. Until next year I guess.
>>
>>1577714
>>1577695
I live in BFE, there are no animal shelters. The chickens killed the babies and ate them. I had some of the parent for breakfast. The parent's pelt is in my freezer. What the ducks don't eat of the parent carcass will go to the turkey vultures. Not much is wasted here.

>>1577721
You can buy a cone or make one from metal flashing that forms a collar around the base of the tree. Normally, you place the cone about waist high or just under the first branch. This helps stop animals from climbing up. I've had limited success with the cone collars.

>>1577748
Is it by any chance in a semi-lower light area or has lots of other plants around it so it compete for some portion of sunlight? Mine are like 2-3' tall.
>>
>>1577780
nah it's full sun and they're isolated. i just live in a subtropical climate. all my pepper plants are either 4 feet tall or 4 feet wide
>>
>>1577791
Good then they are full and happy. With continued good weather they can reach about 6 feet like a huge bush. Though, cultivar type does tone that down a bit.
>>
>>1577634
they should be fine, poured boiling water in jar and on lid and the boiling pickling juice on top of the peppers, also it's in the fridge and will be eaten soon and lid gonna pop when opened.

if i try fermenting i will make sure to either keep them submerged or use a rubber band on a rubberized lid so there's only fermenting gas inside and no air.

>>1577693
brutal
>>
>>1577615
Well goddamn it. I dunno how much it rained previously but the weather went and rained the day after I watered. I hope this don't kill my potatoes.
>>
>>1577693
it was that opossum or your peaches, I think you made the right decision. some people don't like that you killed the young ones but as long as they didn't go to waste (chickens ate them) then I don't see a problem with it.
>>
>>1577932
It shouldn't be too much of a problem if the soil can drain properly.
>>
What’s with all this green stuff in the soil around my basil?
>>
>>1578324
Moss but more likely than not some kind of algae. It is a sing that you are over-watering.
>>
>>1577693
good job anon
>>
File: 006_5815aa.jpg (364 KB, 800x534)
364 KB
364 KB JPG
>harvesting in the rain
Ick. Once washed, they will be tasty. There's also some pretty large yellow paste tomatoes (yellow pear cross with Italian red pear.)
>>
>>1578327
I haven't watered it since Saturday, and it hasn't rained since then - just been dry and sunny, record high temperatures. That morning dew on the leaves is the only moisture its getting. Would that be enough to cause the soil to grow the moss? And is it bad for the plant?
>>
Can someone identify the red pepper? It was sold to my friend who gave me a packet as a bhut jolokia, but its obviously not...
Pimenta de neyde for comparison..
Still haven't tried it for hotness...
>>
>>1578327
>>1578493
I think I see some furriness to it to the point where it may be moss. which doesn't need much water really. Regardless, I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
>>1577748
My pepper plants are huge now too. Good year maybe. Although my cayenne peppers are still green. They've been green for weeks now and show no sign of turning red. I go back to college in a couple weeks and I want to harvest and dehydrate them before then. They're pretty big already, how do I make them turn.

Also I just read that a little water deprivation is good for making the peppers spicier, is that true? I've been watering them almost daily .
Pic related is ghost peppers
>>
how do i tell if my green jalapenos are ripe?
>>
>>1578526
Wait for a little bit of red.
>>
>>1578526
Jalapenos turn fully red when they are fully ripe. If you want to save seeds or allow them to get as hot as possible, let the turn fully red first.
>>
File: 1544021173977.jpg (42 KB, 380x400)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
Are there any benefits to conventional bulb grow lamps over LED ones? To me it seems like the LEDs are strictly better due to their energy consumption, but I'm not exactly a light expert.
>>
>>1578530
>>1578532
thx
>>
>>1578534
Nope, you can get LEDs in every spectrum needed for growing plants. Everyone is converting them the.
>>
File: IMG_1144.jpg (3.1 MB, 4032x3024)
3.1 MB
3.1 MB JPG
Uh guys? whats happening?
Whatever these things are coming out the center have tripled in the last few days
>>
>>1578578
Kinda reminds me of rice plants but I dunno.
>>
>>1578550
Any recommendations on where to get reliable ones? Amazon seems to have a lot but I am very suspicious of their reliability.
>>
>>
>>1578578
Looks like corn tassels.

>>1578608
I just check vender/item reviews and specs.
>>
>>1578608
LEDs are a very diverse market that go anywhere from worse than conventional HID/florescent to cutting edge "vertical" fixtures where money is no object

Some of the more well known brands are viperspectra, HLG which has a few lights on there, Roleadro seems to be a brand people like here because I guess they are cheap

The rest of the brands you see, like 90% of them are fly by night chinese brands

It's really hard to say which ones are really reliable as there is just so many and any recommendations I make might seem like shilling or me leaving out someone

https://www.ledgrowlightsdepot.com/ seem to have a large storefront full of manufactures that seem to be willing to deal outside of Amazon which lends more credence that they are legitimate manufactures
By no means buy from there unless you want to, but they can otherwise be a good catalog of whats out there
>>
>>1578504
Looks like a red habanero
>>
>>1578578
Its normal cobs will appear soon
>>
>>1578663
Hmm, I expected them to be bigger before that happens
They are barely 4 feet but I guess that is what happens when you sequester 2 of them in a 5 gallon pot filled with coco coir
>>
>>1578635
have they bolted?
>>
>>1578666
They will get taller.
>>
>>1578657
Yeah that's what I thought so too..
Wth, how can they so blatantly lie and sell this stuff as a bhut... Fuck em!
I guess I'll have to try it out to confirm if it's normal habanero levels or maybe some kind of bonnet type with face melting heat...
Fuck I'm annoyed now!
>>
>>1578643
Ty for the help, very useful
>>
>>1578670
Not these ones. Another one has
>>
>>1578734
Safe
>>
>>1578736
FUCKED
>>
I'm about to Kratky a chunk of potato. Anything I should know?
>>
>>1578909
Hydro + potato just sounds bad to me, but good luck!
>>
>>1578909
>>1578935
Oh, and I think you should use a sprout, not a chunk of potato. Like start with a 4 inch sprout off the potato. That way there's no rot of the old potato.
>>
File: received_2105672269727859.jpg (368 KB, 2448x3264)
368 KB
368 KB JPG
Anyone know what this is? I'm having trouble figuring it out.
>>
>>1579008
Swamp milkweed. You can eat some of the pods when they are very young and not stringy inside. Though, they need to be fully cooked and you shouldn't eat very many at any one time. The young shoots of the plant can also be eaten in a similar manner. Eating them at the wrong time, eating too much, or improperly cooking/preparing them can make you really nauseous and sick. You can also harvest a great deal of the white sticky sap and process it for its latex to make rubber, if you have a good recipe and access to sulfur and all that.
>>
>>1579012
Thanks, I've been trying to figure this out for a few days
>>
>>1579020
Back in the day, I grew a small patch of it for use as feed for monarch butterflies.
>>
>>1578909
Does kratky actually work with potatoes?
>>
>>1579047
No reason why it couldn't
The real issue is that kratky has nothing to defend against any type of rot or anaerobic bacteria, there is no media to hold air and water and nothing to agitate the water to dissolve oxygen
It could work but you would eventually have potatoes sitting in stagnate water which is ripe for bad things to infest
Most hydroponic potatoes seem to be grown aeroponically where they sit in air instead of water
>>
File: 006_5818a.webm (2.82 MB, 480x270)
2.82 MB
2.82 MB WEBM
Ducks vs Zucchini & Cucumber

Score,
Team Zucchini & Cucumber: 0
Team Ducks: 8

>veggies ground up using an antique "Universal Food Chopper"

Longer audio version (mostly younger duck noises): https://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1565795671272.webm
>>
>>1579057
Hahaha
>>
>>1579055
I'm mostly surprised there's enough structural support without soil, especially in an aeroponic system.
>>
>>1579057
Do ducks like to be hugged? They look very huggable.
>>
>>1579097
Watch out, relax and they'll rape you with their whacky wavy extendable cork screwy screwer
>>
>>1579057
What an absolute racket. Would drive me crazy!
>>
>>1579102
They mostly only make a racket when being fed or having their water refreshed. Special foods makes them go nuts.
>>
>>1579097
The females like being pet on the back. I don't have any experience with the males.
>>
File: IMG_20190814_185305.jpg (3.91 MB, 3024x4032)
3.91 MB
3.91 MB JPG
sadly didnt get any cucumbers myself cus cold death, so i bought some at the store instead today when i saw they had some for a fair price, and loadsa dill!
>>
Looking for a cheap way to automatically water my garden. Different rows a different amount.
>>
Here's another picture of my potatoes. I'm very happy with how they're growing.
>>
>>1579222
raspberry pi, irrigation hoses, a few valves and wire to hook valves up to raspi
>>
>>1579261
There's already many automated irrigation solutions. you just plug them in, hook up the water, and press some buttons.
>>
Fuck, it's getting quite windy where I'm at. I hope my pumpkin sprouts don't get damaged. Weather report says wind is supposed to get to about 10 MPH tonight. Not sure how fast that is, but if it's as fast as it is currently, then I think they may ok.

Fuck, I'm worried. I don't have a tarp or tent to put over them for protection, I'm relying on luck right now. Damnit.
>>
>>1579308
>10 MPH
>Not sure how fast that is

kek
>>
>>1579396
Shut up no bully. I obviously meant the strength of the wind in effect. Anyways, crisis averted. It never got worse than that and things have calmed down now. Even getting some nighttime rain so all is well, thank God.
>>
File: UWfzf.png (53 KB, 648x741)
53 KB
53 KB PNG
>>1579397
>whatisawindspeedchart.jpeg

10mph is nothing
>>
>>1579398
Well it actually ended up being around 14-15ish with a few gusts of 20, so still not bad but enough to worry me. I'm very protective of these pumpkins, you see. I don't want them to die prematurely.

Also thanks for the image. I actually did not know there was a scale for that.
>>
File: 1565080306224.jpg (17 KB, 273x432)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
Does /homegrow/ have any recommendations for starting/managing a future plot of land for near self-sustainability? I've read pic related and it's really good considering the time it was written in.

Anyone know of something as good, simply and straightforward writing or at the very least the same in style and quality?
>>
>>1579398
>Waves form on lakes
Surely this one would be lower, or is there a strict height variation it has to meet?
>>
>>1579538
When is a wave not a ripple? When it crests?
>>
>>1578578
Male pollinating flowers. The females should pop out soon, from in between the leaf base. That's where you'll get your corn.
Also
>doubleshoot
Uh oh, should've cut that a while back. Too late now.
>>
>>1579562
Tillers are not a problem for home growers. They are only bad for the industrial machinery that harvests corn. Tillers actually help home growers out by giving more cobs per square foot and helping to buffer pest and disease damage.
>>
>>1579518
have you checked the OP links?
>>
>>1579567
What links do you think you'll find in decade old threads

And yes i did skim through them but i haven't found any actual books
>>
File: file.png (6 KB, 504x38)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>1579569
are you actually retarded or just pretending?
>>
>>1579570
nigga that's not enough
>>
File: file.png (32 KB, 549x402)
32 KB
32 KB PNG
>>1579571
this aint enough?
>>
>>1577945
It's only an problem for people who empathize with the kids that cling onto their dying mother and then get a very very painful death while watching the same happen to their siblings.
>>
>>1579569
>>1579518
Check the pastebin link in the OP; not the thread archive. There's something like 500 books linked in it. There's also a "Self-Sufficiency" book sub-section in the "Books" section.

>>1579579
Animals are not humans. "Kids," are prepubescent goats.
>>
>>1579577
No, it's not because most of the files inside are just 1 max 4 pages long and i need actual self-contained books dealing with details from a to z
>>
>>1578526
stretch marks on the skin. Like little light brown lines.

If you let them get red they wont be as hot.
>>
>>1578532
>>1578537

Fully ripe jalepenos wont be as hot, they sweeten as they ripen. You want to harvest them when you start to see little stretch marks on the skin of the fruit before they turn red. unless yo
>>
>>1579617
>Fully ripe jalapenos wont be as hot, they sweeten as they ripen
While they do sweeten, they also increase in Capsaicin to help protect them from mammals that have a digestive system which destroys the seeds. Jalapenos in store are green because they are cheaper grow and to get to market than ripe ones.
>>
>>1579615
>>1579617
google says they get hotter as they ripen like other anons said.
>>
>>1579615
The stretch marks are from environmental conditions. It represents stress on the plant and fruit. Extra stress causes the plant to make the fruit hotter than normal. The term for peppers with those marks is, "corked/corking." The main cause for corking is fast growth of the fruit. It is similar to water stress represented as cracks in tomato fruit. Corking can cause thicker skin which can be a texture problem for palatability and not recommended for sauce making. It should be noted that increase in spicy heat of a pepper is not strictly represented by the corking on a pepper since the variables and results are far more complicated than that.
>>
>>1574333
Went to a grow shop the other day and they had a drip irrigation system for containers
I noticed they only had a single dripper stake for like 10 gallon fabric pots
Is that really enough for an even watering in soil or coco coir?
>>
>>1579663
Yeah, it should be. The amount of water is determined by the automatic watering system and system pressure.
>>
>>1579518
The four season farm gardener’s cookbook is a decent introduction to some of the methods and concepts that might be useful to you. Is meant more for sustainability than self-sufficiency though. Most of it is a gardening book and pretty straightforward, while the short recipe section reads more like a blog.
>>
>>1579665
Hmm should've asked for some details on what they had setup, plants looked healthy otherwise
Would post a pic but it might get someones panties in a bunch
It's something I'll be doing next year, I can't get over the much better growth you get in pots vs in ground but I'm lazy and can't stand mixing fertilizer and watering by hand
>>
>>1579671
pdf of that book:
http://gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=48EE1AB730FCB598EF0868801460876D
epub:
http://gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=5E7093AB231E1EECB7C5560DC5A1E0EE
>>
File: IMG_20190813_180341.jpg (3.31 MB, 3024x4032)
3.31 MB
3.31 MB JPG
>>1579179
What's the minimum recommended time to pickle cucumbers?
>>
>>1579728
Which method and recipe are you using? fermenting/canning?

https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can6b_pickle.html
>>
>>1579730
not fermented and not canned, just jar pickled, but not sure where to look at that link and it's all in imperial ...
this is a classic swedish pickle recipe i used:
>1 part 12% vinegar
>2 parts sugar
>3 parts water
>boil for a few minutes and add to jar with stuff you wanna pickle.
>>
>>1579736
Normally it is,
10min boil for pint jars
15min boil for quart jars
>>
>>1579739
ya except im asking how long i should let them sit in the fridge before tasting for best flavour
>>
>>1579740
Ah, I see. Well, at least overnight. Since they are not fully canned, eating them within a week is advised.
>>
>>1579741
ok thanks
>>
File: IMG_20190815_134958.jpg (1.13 MB, 2496x1872)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB JPG
More harvest.

All soil but one but fuck if I remember which one.
>>
>>1579723
>>1579671
aw fuck yes this will go in handy too

It's a shame that list is so huge but has stuff like Begginer's Guide to Hypnosis and tons of books on how to grow Weed and shitty 2-5 page articles with barely any actual books inside of them

Thanks i'll look into this one as well
>>
>>1579764
>It's a shame that list is so huge but has stuff like Begginer's Guide to Hypnosis and tons of books on how to grow Weed and shitty 2-5 page articles with barely any actual books inside of them

What exactly are you talking about?
>>
File: 1556814974460.jpg (218 KB, 1193x1536)
218 KB
218 KB JPG
>>1579761
I wonder what that 4th one is thinking about
>>
>>1579761
4th one looks like its got a d****
>>
>>1577218
my friend got into beekeeping and now he hates all his bees and says they are weak and frustrating and a lot of work and now all the other beekeepers around know of him because he went to them originally for help and they all gave him free supplies and queens and keep asking How are the bees? How are your bees doing? So he won't let them die out of guilt and they're all diseased
>>
>>1579777
Have you not had the curiosity to ever take a peek on what's included in that list? 10 or so books on how to grow weed/psychedelic plants and a complete book on how to do Hypnosis. Whoever made that list needs to do some spring cleaning. Solid material for starting a greenhouse tho
>>
>>1579789
What list are you talking about?
>>
>>1579791
The agriculture section of the pastebin
>>
File: 20190815_124414.jpg (2.83 MB, 3264x1836)
2.83 MB
2.83 MB JPG
Bell pepper is sprouting
>>
File: Untitled.png (35 KB, 673x567)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
>>1579796
I think you are confusing the pastebin list and the "400+ PDF BOOKS ON GARDENING" torrent file. The pastebin is 100% agricultural-based. The torrent file just has like 1 or 2 errors were someone must have grouped hypnosis with hydroponics by accident, 1 paper on growing weed, and 1 paper on legal psychoactive herbs. Are there any others in that 400 book torrent? Just delete the ones you don't like or need; that's what I did. The pastebin list is what you should be looking at in the subsections give to you here: >>1579582

For the libgen stuff, you need to replace the old "libgen.io" links with (see pic): gen.lib.rus.ec
>>
>>1579764
>>1579789
Not a single thing wrong with weed grow books
Lots of valid information as it relates to controlled environment gardening and hydroponics in an easily digestible form (they are for potheads after all)
What’s best for a weed plant has so much overlap for whatever else you might want to grow
>>
>>1579808
>tfw search engines keep redirecting me to weed sites when I'm trying to research hydro gear and grow lights
So, frustrating sometimes because I have to use tons of operators to stop that crap.
>>
How do you figure out how much darkness a crop needs? You see those giant vegetables that come out of northern latitudes because of the longer days, but presumably there's a limit to how much light you can give it at once (I vaguely remember from school that darkness is needed to signal what part of the growing season it is and shit to the plant).
>>
>>1579810
>trying to diagnose a problem with my leaves
>literally every result is about weed
>>
File: 006_5822a.jpg (466 KB, 1024x1360)
466 KB
466 KB JPG
I finally dropped some cash on a big roll of 6mil black plastic to do soil solarization. I put it down immediately after a really long storm so that the soil was saturated. I also watered the soil a bit extra. There's a layer of black plastic with a layer of clear plastic on it. Things are partially cloudy but the surface temps are around 150F/65.5C. I made sure to use plastic large enough to cover the entire wall of the raised bed. That should help increase temps to whatever the max can be for my weather and time of year. I need to get a reusable turkey thermometer to see what the temps are x distance into the soil. Soil temps need to be about 131F/55C to kill off the seeds, pests, and fungi. If I can get surface temps up another 10 degrees I can start cooking food with it.

I added sand, mixed the soil, and a couple weeks later a mat of weed seeds had started sprouting (mostly my edibles like lambs quarter, purslane, redroot pigweed, bidens, etc). I didn't disturb the soil again when I laid the plastic over the weed seeds. I'll probably leave this on for a month then replant plant garlic. I'll make sure to report how well this works on weed seeds.
>>
>>1579810
It's unavoidable really
The market for hydro gear is only as big as it is because of weed
It's only getting bigger due to commercial operations and is why Scotts bought out Sunlight Supply a few years ago
Let me shut up before someone gets pissy
>>
>>1579821
I actually get most of my hydro info from manfacture websites, Jeb gardener & a few other anon-recommended channels, and from >>>/diy/ There usually a few hydro design threads on /diy/ each month.
>>
>>1579787
They’re all probably more than willing to help with the diseases, no need for him to feel guilty about not knowing better. Sometimes it’s a problem simple enough to fix with better ventilation and sometimes you literally have to burn everything with fire and start over.
>>
Should I prune the non-producing stems?
>>
>>1579780
greek philosophy
>>
>>1579807
yeah and the self-sufficiency section has just 4 books...
>>
>>1579846
Only when the season is over and spring is about to begin.

>>1579872
The stuff in that pastebin are things anons have recommended in the past Homegrownmen threads. If you need more than it offers, start doing your own search on amazon then on libgen. If you find something good, post it here.
>>
>>1579897
I think I mis spoke. It hasn’t produced grapes since I moved into this house. (2 years) and there are stems (or trunks maybe?) that have never had leaves on them; I’m wondering if I should cut those off?
>>
>>1579921
Yes, you can trim off all dead branches. Just scrape back a tiny section with your thumbnail to see if there's some green just under the bark. Only trim off where there's no green underneath. As for production, just give it some fertilizer. I have grapes this year from 2-year old cuttings.
>>
File: IMG_20190815_185703.jpg (2.44 MB, 1944x2592)
2.44 MB
2.44 MB JPG
I've tried to germinate these retard seedpods twice and failed. Any tips? Wash off the coating?
>>
>>1579098
This is one of the most unspoken, underground facts of our bleak reality...corkscrew curly fry duck cocks

>got smacked with them all the time working farms in the summer
>>
>>1580001
When you watch male ducks you realize alot about females and how fucked huMans are
>>
File: 20190815_235354.jpg (3.18 MB, 4032x3024)
3.18 MB
3.18 MB JPG
New night fren has arrived to keep my peppers safe. Can someone identify him for me?
>>
I got a mulcher/chipper for free but I don’t think I can generate enough yard waste to support my mulching needs. What’s a plant I can grow that I can mulch?
>>
>>1580001
this is some freaky shit

>>1580133
there is almost always free brush on CL
>>
File: IMG_20190811_132914.png (1.62 MB, 1000x1000)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB PNG
Based global warming.
>>
>>1579996
Don't buy seeds with coatings next time. You can try soaking them in water for 24 hours then planting them at the recommended depth. Keep the soil from drying out. If the soil is cool it can take up to 2 weeks for them to germinate.
>>
>>1580133
Bamboo
"Hybrid Poplar"
Eastern Cottonwood

Those grow super fast. If you want the bamboo to stay in one place get a "clumping" cultivar instead of a "running" cultivar.
>>
>>1580118
Try, >>>/an/3108881 and make sure to list your region.
>>
>>1580133
If you have a big yard and need to mow it, get a grass catcher. Then you can collect the grass clippings and spread it out in a small area then rake it around in the sun a few times to dry it out. It is a bit work intensive, but you can get lots of mulch, if you have a big yard.
>>
>>1579833
You can pasteurize the equipment by making a big temporary solar oven to bake it in. You just wrap the stuff in black plastic then with clear plastic and have a layer of air in between. Add some white reflectors behind it to direct the sun onto it and till will reach cooking temps. Just make sure to remove all the wax before doing this. lol
>>
>>1579814
Optimally, they need as much light as what there is at that time of year. Assuming they are plants that are local. If you are growing some tropical species from the equator then it can have more intense light. Plants need darkness. They do a great deal of growing at night.
>>
>>1579797
How many plants are there? My second crop is growing in now.

>>1580183
What is it?
>>
>>1580211
Mango.
>>
>>1579569
>decade old threads
I think the oldest is 6 years? I know when /hgm/ was on /ck/ it was far older than just 2013.

>>1580213
It will be interesting to see it grow up.
>>
File: New Thread.jpg (65 KB, 526x350)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
NEW THREAD: >>1580215
>>
>>1575977
If theres fruits, even small then doesnt that mean its pollinated? Maybe you had too many fruits?
>>
>>1577691
No, it was the british.
>>
>>1577693
The american tree kangaroo is a bro, he eats ticks. Why did you do this?
>>
>>1579308
Are you sure youre going to have enough rain for pumpkins? Dont they need a lot of water?
>>
>>1579546
By definition, yes.
>>
>>1579810
>tfw search engines keep redirecting me to mechanic shops when i search for front end alignments
Like what the fuck is search engines problem?
>>
File: Untitled.png (417 KB, 519x360)
417 KB
417 KB PNG
>>1580801
FYI, that opossum was covered head to toe with ticks. There were deer ticks and regular-sized ticks. Even the inside of her pouch had deer ticks. It was a bit horrible. You can even see a tick on the pinkish section of belly in the lower left of that image (and in this blow up of the original image). That been the same with all opossums I've killed in the past, though this one has the most I've ever seen. The myth about opossums eating ticks, and controlling tick population, is no more true than other animals eating ticks. If you need tick removal on your property use chickens, quail, and guinea fowl. Keep in mind that deer ticks can still be a problem for those fowl as well, if there are high numbers of ticks everywhere.
>>
File: Untitled.png (556 KB, 826x559)
556 KB
556 KB PNG
>>1580898
>>1580801
And, here's a ton of deer ticks from that same image, covering the babies.
>>
>>1580900
>He let the chickens have them instead of burning them

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.