[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 47 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: Norman Clyde.png (4.88 MB, 1773x2228)
4.88 MB
4.88 MB PNG
Do any of you use /out/ to get stronger, faster and improve your stamina or do you hit the gym to achieve that?
If you do use /out/ as training ground, what activities are you doing?
Does it make sense to pack a heavier load just for the sake or exercising?
>>
To get better at something, do it more. Not much more to it.
Need to hike longer? Hike more.
Need to ride longer? Ride more.
Need to xyz longer? xyz more.
>>
>>1565695
>Does it make sense to pack a heavier load just for the sake or exercising?
This is an anecdotal example, I go running in 10lb forest fire boots and heavy blue jeans. I run with friends who all wear proper running attire. We all run the same pace. We do a few miles around a 6 minute pace. The thing is, any time I put on my running shoes and a pair of jorts, I absolutely smoke them. I start getting near 5 minutes flat on my mile. Sure it's hard, people would call it dumb. But wearing boots and jeans every day of my life and doing hard things while wearing them absolutely puts me far ahead of basically anybody that isn't a gifted athlete.

I don't even understand why people would practice things with the most efficient and easiest stuff. All you've done is create a factor that you can't improve on. All I have to do it switch shoes and pants and it's a new ball game. I like that.
>>
>>1565716
Sure, but where do you get the strength training? I already hike a lot and always try to add elevation gain too, it improves my cardio but it does not make me stronger.
>>
>>1565725
It's fantastic that works for you and most likely has its merits but riders do prepare for the tour riding 40lb bikes, do they? Soldiers also pack huge loads and quite often you see them crying over busted knees and back injuries.
>>
File: 1497153213226.jpg (72 KB, 640x546)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>1565725
>>
>>1565725
>I start getting near 5 minutes flat on my mile
Yeah, I'm calling bullshit. That's what elite marathon runners average.
>>
>>1565736
Not the person you responded to, but as with everything, excess can be harmful. Sure if you regularly load yourself down with 100 lbs of gear and try to hike 10 miles a day, you'll probably hurt yourself. But running in boots and jeans doesn't really increase your risk of any kind of injury as far as I know.
>>
>>1565745
He said he's running a few miles not a fucking marathon. I knew kids in middle school running 10 minute 2 miles.
>>
>>1565695
I've always run. Usually 5kms every other day and a longer run from time to time if the fancy takes me, but I really don't enjoy running that much so it's fairly rare. Other than that I don't do much training for hikes other than hiking.
The main expection is when I am planning a more demanding route, then I will mostly likely start spending some time on the stair maching. I'll do this with a pack loaded to ~75% of max weight.
>>1565725
memes
>>1565727
what are you actually trying to achieve here? like what is the end game of getting stronger? it's really hard to train properly if you don't have a specific goal in mind as you struggle to quantify any sorts of gains that you make.
>>
>>1565695

Build strength in the gym, but /out/, and long walks in general, is definitely a great and indispensable form of exercise.
>>
File: 1563727741245.jpg (83 KB, 720x680)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>1565695
>gym
I'll never fucking understand this. People improve their lives with technology so they don't need to work. then they get unfit because they are not working physically enough. Then they use more technology to do work to make themselves fit, but that work itself doesn't do anything other than make them fit. So, they work at a normal job then during their off time....work to make themselves fit without getting money for that work or producing any service or saleable items. Also, they often purchase a gym membership to do this, further losing resources and making someone else richer. Oh, and they don't even go outside or hike to do this. They just use a stair master, stationary bike, or treadmill for that aspect.

Shit, I skipped the middle men, became a farmer, worked hard outside, became physically fit, all while being outside and loving every minute of it.

Sorry for the rant, OP. It is good to ask questions when you need info. Basically, the thread ended here >>1565716 just don't put in extra weight to work harder. You'd only need to do something like that if you were entering a competition. Doing that sort of thing, when you don't need to, just wrecks your joints earlier. Which would you rather be? A person who can pack more weight for the next 20 years or a person who can only carry normal weight for the next 40 years pain free?
>>
>>1565750
>what are you actually trying to achieve here? like what is the end game of getting stronger
Nothing, I mean self improvement. Not struggling in the future to carry a couple water jugs would be nice since I'm not growing younger.
>>
>>1565765
>Sorry for the rant, OP
Not at all you pretty much gave great advice and answered part of my questions.

>became a farmer, worked hard outside, became physically fit, all while being outside and loving every minute of it.
>>
>>1565765
>they often purchase a gym membership to do this, further losing resources and making someone else richer
This, a million times. I share your anger
People take the elevator down one floor, instead of the stairs, then go to the gym to use the stairmaster
Walking everyday is better for you than going to the gym twice a week, and it's free
>>
>>1565765
This logic is only true if your job doesn't earn enough money to compensate for the cost of paying to get fit.

If you are a wagie making 20-30k per year, then ya don't pay to get fit change your life.

but if you make 80, 100, 150k? keep doing your job.
>>
File: YYZ.jpg (28 KB, 480x360)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>1565716
>Need to xyz longer?
What if I need to yyz longer?
>>
>>1565798
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah
>>
>>1565765
The gym is the most efficent way to improve strength and fitness in a controlled manner.
Sure working a physical job is a great way to stay in shape. I have worked one for over a decade. However, it doesn't exercise me in ways that improve my bouldering or prepare me to cross alpine passes.
Doing physical work just raises your baseline level of fitness. But if you want to improve a specific area of your strength or fitness than the gym is the best place to do it. Some /out/ activities require super niche forms of strength and stamina. You won't get these by being some scrub blue collar worker.
>just wrecks your joints earlier
This is just plain wrong. Working a physical job is going to beat you up much quicker than practicing a proper gym routine. Sure you can fuck yourself up in the gym, but you're much more likely to do it as a farm hand/logger/insert macho job.
>Also, they often purchase a gym membership to do this, further losing resources and making someone else richer. Oh, and they don't even go outside or hike to do this. They just use a stair master, stationary bike, or treadmill for that aspect.
How people use the gym isn't an argument against the gym itself. Who cares how people use the gym. It doesn't stop it being the best enviroment within to train yourself for a specific task.
>>
>>1565782
how the fuck am i supposed to get jacked by just walking around
>>
>>1565782
It really depends. I agree that opting to do cardio in a gym over the outdoors is usually retarded, and people severely under-utilize bodyweight exercises that can be done at home or or at a local park, but there are exceptions when bad weather is involved. I can't ride my bike when there's 3 feet of snow on the ground and 5 minutes of wind gives me frost bite.
>>
>>1565739
I’m glad my OC is still around.
>>
>>1565868
>This is just plain wrong
That was in reply to adding extra weight to a pack, not being a gym rat.

>a specific task.
Like, "entering a competition," for instance.

You are blowing hot air.
>>
>>1565725
>The thing is, any time I put on my running shoes and a pair of jorts, I absolutely smoke them.
Maybe you’re holding up your friends’ training because he has to wait for your slow ass in jeans and boots to catch up
>>
>>1565739
kek
>>
My job physically exerts my upper body and I wear steel toe boots most of the time if I'm not hiking or kayaking. I could hit the gym more and smoke less spliffs and drink less beer but i stay in pretty good shape just from daily life and diet.
>>
File: iu.jpg (87 KB, 538x768)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
OP absolutely, I do conditioning hikes regularly with 40 lb of weight in water jugs. Very common in Seattle for people training for Rainier.

Other things you can do:

- Do laps on a staircase in a building
- Hill sprints, other running

There is HUGE range of hiking speeds. Take Mt. Whitney. 20 miles, 6000' gain. Some people take 20 hours, the FKT is 2.5 hours. Normal people (not pro athletes) regularly do it in under 10 hours. Where do YOU want to be?

Sure it's pointless. Hiking is pointless. IT can be fun to get fast and get good at something.
>>
I do both.
>>
>>1565716
Need to suck harder? Suck more.
Need to fuck harder? Fuck more.
Need to get fucked in the ass longer? Be >>1565716.
>>
>>1565725
enjoy your blisters and bleeding thighs, chafing is no joke
>>
lift rocks
chop firewood
shoveling
sturdy branches that can be used as pullup bars
squats holding rocks/carrying backpack or just plain squats
pushups with backpack
long hikes
>>
File: 1564148736595.jpg (2.45 MB, 2304x1728)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB JPG
>>1565765
> stationary bike
Should be banned.

I ride to work 2-4 days a week not to get fit (though it keeps me fit, 30km one way), but to enjoy it. I love the very feel of transferring my muscle power into velocity, I love being /out/ on park trails. I do longer rides for fun when I have time to spare. Fuck sweaty gay indoor MAMILs.
>>
>>1566359
>>1566335
>>1566029
Based
>>
>>1565695
I used to go running on a county park that was mostly just dirt paths about as wide as a single person. I guess it's /out/ since it's trail running. That's about the only /out/ training I did though.
>>
File: 54ae5e484946e(1).jpg (76 KB, 650x433)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
Op here, went for a small hike and found one of pic related near a place that I can use as a campground. I will see if I can use it for training, it's heavy as fuck but there are some exercises I can use it for. I also tried running uphill wearing boots, it's not fun at all but I will do it more often too. At least until I fuck up a knee or hamstring.
>>
>>1565695
Absolutely 100%
t. Wildland Firefighter
>>
>>1565695
>/out/ for sport/task specificity and fun, gym for GPP and when logistical constraints impose themselves
>hike, run, mountain bike
>sometimes; titrate to effect
>>
>>1565765
200 IQ post
>>
>>1565725
Nice anime training routine.
>>
I go to the gym so I can achieve ultimate /out/
>>
File: 2240.png (57 KB, 724x1072)
57 KB
57 KB PNG
Today's hike, not very fast but the terrain wasn't super easy either.
>>
>>1566359
>Should be banned.
Not until I can ride a real bike naked at 2 AM while shitposting on 4chan.
>>
>>1565746
>running in boots doesn't increase your risk of injury
Whew lad, I can't imagine doing this for any long period of time and not getting injured. You'd absorb none of the stress that running puts on your joints and you'd have to have totally unnatural form to make up for their restrictions.

Not to mention the chafing around your ankles (and inside your legs/ass from the jeans). I cringe just picturing it.
>>
>>1569247
>4chan
weeew, gross.
>>
>>1565695
>Do any of you use /out/ to get stronger, faster and improve your stamina or do you hit the gym to achieve that?

almost always...only use the gym in really shitty weather or to ogle women.
>>
>>1570232
How do you train /out/?
>>
Is this legit?
>>
>>1571125
>Is this legit?
Only if you stick to it. Most of these training programs are fine, you need to actually complete them though.
>>
>>1569081
Another day, another hike
>17 miles
>3300 ft elevation gain
>6 hours
I really need to pick related
>>
>>1565727
SS+GOMAD
>>
Nah. Im just fucking around out here t b h
>>
>>1571643
>SS+GOMAD
Not /out/ tho
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIG9-aM-itg
>>
File: John Muir.jpg (209 KB, 866x1210)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
>The Workout: Hike Farther, Hike Stronger
>Want legs that can tackle any climb, any heavy pack, any mileage? Well, don't work harder; work smarter. We grilled fitness experts and scoured the medical literature to uncover the latest, greatest strategies for building strength, endurance, speed, and flexibility.

https://www.backpacker.com/skills/the-workout-hike-farther-hike-stronger
>>
>>1565695
White water kayaking and DH mountain biking have given me more gainz than when I was a full blown /fit/izen
>>
>>1565725
>running in boots
enjoy you're blown out knees
>>
File: Theodore Roosevelt.jpg (1.22 MB, 1500x1205)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
>>1574640
Based
>>
>>1565739
lmao I love the picture
>>
>>1565765
Based and redpilled
Gyms are a symptom of the cancer that is Western capitalism
>>
>>1565695
I have pretty nasty osteoarthritis so I decided to take up peakbagging
>>
>>1565725
>My jeans? Oh, did you mean my power limiter?
>>
>>1565695
I hit the gym for that stuff. /out/ to me is mental get away from all the shit I have to deal with (Including the gym), but the physical aspect being a nicely added bonus.
>>
my favourite part of the expedition was when Donald Trump was on TV shouting incoherent nonsense about beef and money while dressed as Will Ferrell and later when the cop came and almost terminated everybody at the golf farm
>>
>>1565725
Sounds like Rudy, but Rudy did it with a Ruck sack full of rocks, wore a gas mask too.
Jump to 40 seconds in. Or watch the entire thing cause they make a great point.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gFVfbPFADF4ttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gFVfbPFADF4
>>
>>1576183
It's not gay if you got eyes for Rudy. Man is gorgeous.
>>
File: ClW5_zYUgAASlkJ.jpg (247 KB, 810x810)
247 KB
247 KB JPG
>>1576185
Also uses nature to help him work out.
>>
>>1576111
Home gyms and home fitness is based and individualist and outdoors, fuck commercial gyms for a variety of reasons.
>>
>>1576111
if normal people went hiking instead of to the gym the outdoors would cease to exist
>>
>>1576431
Normal people do go hiking, there are far more normal people /out/ than inside of gyms.
>>
>>1565739
>all those replies
Sure smells like new in here
>>
>>1565765
>work out 5 hours a week following carefully planned routine
>spend 8 hours a day overstressing your muscles, joints and bone structure doing hard labour in bad weather or burning sun
>>
File: 20190626_191352.jpg (2.1 MB, 2576x1932)
2.1 MB
2.1 MB JPG
>>1574567
Underrated post.
>>
>>1577341
legit queerposting right here. sad
>>
File: 1_V9I-CLSMiiR4Tkgv1VrIlg.jpg (1.09 MB, 2000x2350)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
Bump
>>
>>1565798
Lame
>>
>>1566335
I dunno, rocks are not that heavy, they just have an odly shape, and sometimes stuck in the ground. I think is better to squat at the gym, you can even slowly increase the weight, in a more controlled way.
>>
File: Norman-Clyde-Rock-Climb.jpg (578 KB, 2570x4393)
578 KB
578 KB JPG
>>1579276
>controlled way
Ain't nobody got time for that.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.