[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1552275827708.jpg (359 KB, 858x821)
359 KB
359 KB JPG
What jobs does out have? What are some out careers?
>>
>>1518618
Fuck off neet LARPer.
>>
>>1518618
Chef at Wendy’s
>>
>>1518618
I wear a cloak and chase horses about with a bugle to scare them.
>>
>>1518695
Why does your head look so big?
>>
>>1518704
It's an optical illusion.
>>
>>1518618
I'm a burger technician at Five Guys
>>
>>1518618
Archaeology. 80% library 20% very much outdoors
>>
>>1518618
jobs are for bootlicking faggots
>>
Tard wrangler. Only gets /out/ when one jumps or climbs the fences.
>>
>>1518717
So where do you work, anon?
>>
>>1518618
>out career
physical labour isn't a career
>>
>>1518684
>Chef
>Wendy's

No you're a burger flipper.
>>
>>1518618
>>1518855
I work on the behavioral Supports side. I teach others how to wrangle them a tard.
>>
>>1518618
Principal Architect at a software development company. Salaried position with a lot of time off. I enjoy my job and also use my time off in large chunks to go /out/. It's comfy.
>>
>>1518864
Best part is that I'm a contractor and make my own schedule. I can basically take off whenever I want. Don't feel like working today? I just stay home and don't have to tell anyone.
>>
I'm an antenna engineer for a defense contractor. it's an incredibly /in/ job but i make enough to fund extravagant /out/ trips so its okay
>>
City carrier for the post office. Doesn't pay a ton but walking around all day keeps me from getting fat. And the three weeks of vacation isn't too bad either, by American standards anyways.
>>
I'm studying geology right now and rocks are very /out/.
>>
Environmental science technician at a university, mainly an /in/ job but every few weeks I get to go /out/ on ecology field courses and caving trips.
>>
>>1518858
Football players are having a laugh
>>
File: IMG_0305.jpg (525 KB, 1200x1600)
525 KB
525 KB JPG
Commercial diver (underwater welder)
>>
>>1518946
going for a bachelor's in environmental science, what do you think of it?
>>
>>1518987
From a purely academic point of view it's amazing, you will gain a much great understanding and appreciation of the natural world around you.
From a getting employment perspective it can be very tough, but so long as you're pragmatic you could wind up doing some really cool shit.
>>
>>1518859
newfag
>>
>>1518992
how's a ba or a masters in geology?
>>
>>1519071
>Calling people new fag
Summer detected
>>
File: IMG-20190513-WA0005.jpg (812 KB, 858x1144)
812 KB
812 KB JPG
>>1518618
tree climber
>>1518962
>underwater welder
RIP. Cool job though! Nice money as well?
>>
>>1519072
Difficult. Theres a lot of skill to some of the finer work and its very technical. That being said those who like it like it a lot, and to boot its got a lot of application that'll get you employed once you finish university.
>>
Machine operator (button pusher) in a print shop
>>
>>1518962
Imagine the smell
>>
NEET™ for the most part.
Leaching shekels from the state doing retarded temporary paid courses during the rest of the time.
>>
My cousin works for the forest service, spends april-september in the oregon woods.
>>
File: IMG_20190514_213306.jpg (2.72 MB, 2448x3264)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB JPG
I work on a barge running crude oil from rigs in the gulf up the Mississippi, from new Orleans to Chicago and everywhere in between. Every 28 days I get 14 off to do whatever I want. I have no bills other than car insurance and my phone. Feels good man
>>
>>1519174
We fish off the boat with deepsea rigs and catch cats you wouldn't believe
>>
>>1518858
I work my ass off and make $35000 more than I did this time last year at the same barge line. It's sure starting to look like a career honey. Captains make MONEY out here and only work six months out f the year. I'm on my way to living the dream. You just lack the ambition and strong back to do what you gotta do buddy
>>
File: IMG_20190516_203457.jpg (735 KB, 1920x2560)
735 KB
735 KB JPG
>>1518987
Lol I'm the barge guy. I already have that degree and it's useless. You won't make any money till you get your doctorate. Didn't anyone tell you that?
>>
>>1519083
>Career
>Posts beaner tier job
>>
>>1519174
How does one get a job like this?
t. 19 years old and still don't know what I'm going to college for
>>
>>1519174
This sounds like a good job for a college drop out like me hows the pay
>>
Parents own two seafood stores in Maryland, I work for them and also go fishing and crabbing part time for extra money
>>
>>1519188
You put in an application dumb ass
http://www.goldingbarge.com/
>>
>>1519189
Your first year you only make $35000 as a deckhand. After your first promotion they DOUBLE your pay. Captains make $2-300,000 and they only work six months out of the year. The usual track for making captain is ten years. It's not just a great job it's a career with a future and they only promote from within. Anyone on any boat in any position started as a green deckhand just like you.
>>
I sell cannabis
>>
>>1519189
I have a degree in environmental technology and it's a great job for me. Anyone would be lucky to have the opportunities theyve given me. Most our generation are just lazy bitches though. If you can't find a good job it's because you don't want to
>>
Merchant Mariner, ended up on a very social and busy vessel, will try to find a better one with longer voyages
>>
>>1519215
Ahoy matey
>>
>>1519192
That's it? You mean I don't need a degree or other shit for the lowest jobs? Christ on a cracker thank you buddy.
>>
I work as a real estate appraiser. I hate it and will probably hate every job I ever have. Not because there isn't stuff that I would enjoy but because the girl I'm likely to marry is a lawyer and I refuse to be married to someone that makes more than me and my ideal jobs (writer, fly fishing guide) simply don't make a lot.
>>
>>1518944
Im thinking of taking a geology masters.

What job prospects do you have? Also, country?
>>
>>1519217
You will have to move out here. I came out with no connections and no safety net. You might have to take a risk, I did, but you miss %100 of the shots you don't take brother. If you don't get on at Golding try Magnolia, Yazoo, etc. Don't give up and don't be a pussy. Let them know how bad you want it. It will be harder than anything you've ever done, you will take a week long class where they will try to break you. Don't break. You can do anything you out your mind to
>>
>>1519216
>tfw havent even left my home continent because end up on coasters all the time
>>
>>1519254
The grass is always greener. I'm almost always inland bro, we only hit the big drink to fill up at the offshore rig and turn right back. I don't mind the river though. The Mississippi is a curvy and mysterious mistress, every time we head out in the skiff to mark twain I'm reminded of how much history lays in the water beneath me
>>
>>1519174
>>1519196
>>1519215
>>1519260
Sounds adventurous as hell, I'm actually pretty jealous. But maybe one day I can deploy... Maybe.....
t. Army 35D
>>
>>1519265
I was literally about to sign my life away to the army when I heard about this job. I just had to get away. The next day I was in a job interview after driving all night. A week after that I was on a boat. One year later I'm making $79,000 a year to fish and pick my guitar on the big river. There's plenty of work to be done don't get me wrong. It's painting season for Christ's sake FML hahah
>>
>>1518865
that's unsual, did you negotiate time off? or is this due to the naturue of the work?
>>
>>1519251
>they try to break you
WTF is this chest beating horse shit?
>>
File: 20190504_194640-1612x1209.jpg (600 KB, 1612x1209)
600 KB
600 KB JPG
Reconfag in the army. Just went 23 days without showering, hating my life every day. Only advantage is being outside with the shitty army issue gear makes me appreciate quality civilian equipment.
>>
>>1518859
burger technician*
>>
Burger technician reporting in
>>
emergency medicine doctor.

Feels good man
>>
>>1519294
Tech jobs have loads of time off, m8. Especially salaried positions. A lot for dev shops are just straight up closed for the entire month of December because everyone has to use their PTO before it expires.
>>
>>1519072
Difficult to find employment unless you go to the right school and specialize in a field. You need to pick something specific. Get internships or you'll struggle.
>>
>>1518618
Law student. Plan is to set up shop near family out in rural Colorado.
>>
>>1518618
Woodwork / construction, so my time is split between the shop jamming to grateful dead and onsite at rich clients properties
Used to do ski instructing, it's a great /out/ job but only pays well if you take it super seriously
>>
>>1518618
General construction and handyman work, specialized mostly in masonry

I studied computer science for a few years before realizing how much I really hate being indoors and the people that go into CS. Don't regret it though since it's a trade that's viable in a recession.

Switched my major to fire technology and forestry (wildland fire management). Switching set me back but definitely worth the extra couple of years
>>
>>1519260
Stay safe Anon, I’ve lost a few friends on the LMR.

Been diving on the river 20 years and hate doing body recovery on them tugs when they go down, cuz I know most of the dudes
>>
>>1519304
Yakima firing range?
>>
>>1519282
Do you have relevant experience/schooling? How feasable is it for someone with shit experience and no degree to snag a job
>>
>>1519343
how's CU Boulder?
desu i still don't know what i want to specialize in
>>
File: 1008151418.jpg (139 KB, 640x480)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
Amateur Gold and Silver Miner
>>
I’m a Freestyle Snowboard Coach
>>
>>1518962
Is it still wild money? You should check out the graphic novel Underwater welder by Jeff lemire it's cool
>>
>>1519186
Not op but what are you on about mate? Tree surgery is fucking nails and pays well over here in UK. Do you look down on hard work in the US?
>>
File: IMAG0243.jpg (1.11 MB, 2688x1520)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB JPG
>>1518618
Geophysicist here. First 5 years of my career was spent in the field collecting data in the Australian outback, Africa and Eastern Europe. This involved everything from trekking up and down hills with instruments to flying around in helicopters to cruising about sand dunes in buggies. Pic related.

Now live in a medium sized city doing computer stuff. Too old for that field madness these days. I can go spearfishing, deer hunting and multi day hiking within an hour and halfs drive so it's not too bad really. Would recommend any earth science career.
>>
Wildland firefighter shipping out to Alberta in less then 24 hrs. Good times and good money. Only down fall about it all is climbing out of your tent after a few days of 14 hour shifts.
>>
>>1519083
Not as much as you would think

>>1519106
Piss is the smell in question

>>1519413
Ill have to check it out i wish the money was better
>>
>>1519415
You can never be right on /out/. If you have a comfy, well paid white collar job you’re a top end fag, if you’re an honest hardworking blue collar worker you’re a beaner, and if you have a job in the first place and aren’t a hobo skirting around the edge of parks picking up scraps from families leaving campsites because “m-muh wilderness, m-muh into the wild”, then you’re a tool, and if you don’t have a job, you’re a bum. So yeah, you can never be right. Just ignore anyone who ever says anything on this board

NRM student working to become a forest ranger/ECO, and if that doesn’t work, wilderness fire fighter.
>>
>>1519484
Kek what a tool= I want your life.
Neet= at least I'm not that bad
Wageycuck= I'm a lazy piece of human garbage
>>
Worked as a rough neck and now a mud engineer. I'm not out in the elements as much anymore but still have to go to the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>1519079
>new fag
Who puts a space in it?
>Summer
hownew.ru
>>1519199
I used to do that, there's better money in coke. Now I'm a clerk at a hotel, pay sucks but easy job. Eventually I'll do something with my life (who am I kidding, I'm an unmotivated 37-year-old).
>>1519174
My grandad worked the barges when he was young. Sounds like a good gig.
>>1519215
I should've done that.
>>
File: IMG_20190121_104818_3.jpg (137 KB, 881x653)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>1519479
>Not as much as you would think
I heard life expectancy went up a lot when they got the gas mixes right?
>>1519186
Oh no, now I hate having a job I enjoy, making more money than I need, and being able to take almost half the year off to /out/. You sure got me anon.
>>
>>1519072
Most geo jobs are for oil companies.

Ranch/farm manager. Weld, tractor, backhoe, construction, nursery ag, irrigation, and punch cows. Pay varies, but is pretty sweet when cows go to market.
Outside 80+% of the time, great hunting in your own backyard, closest neighbor is 1/4 mile away and they work for you.

Want to throw a party and build a 40' tall bonfire in your front yard? No Problem.

You pretty much live /out/ on a ranch.
>>
>>1519357
How is masonry? Seems pretty cool, but I don’t know how to go about getting into it
>>
>>1519517
My first job was as a block masons laborer. It was the hardest job ever.
>>
>>1519516
As a new hand with only basic skills the pay is modest, but you can often live for cheap or free on the ranch.

Pro cowhands with their own horse and dogs can make much more.
>>
>>1519475
how do you become a wildland firefighter?
>>
>>1519072
i go for a ba in geology at the moment and i love it. Had like 7 field days in my first two semesters already. Since i am from Austria i wont have any difficulties finding a job. Consider to move i guess.
>>
>>1518987
If nothing else works out go to police academy next and the degree will almost ensure a park ranger job
>>
>>1519505
Nonono, I sell cannabis legally at a retailer. Obviously street dealing blow is better. binderdundat
>>
>>1518618
Sailor is where it's at.
Paid to travel and sight see. Awww yisss
>>
Kindergarten teacher, working on my bachelors in early childhood education, specialization in teaching kids about nature and the outdoors.
im outside most days but i wouldnt call it an /out/ job. except on the days where i am actually in the woods.

curious, do kindergartens with specialization in outdoors and nature exist in your country /out/?
>>
Anyone have experience being a Park Ranger?

Either for NFS or NPS, both seem to be pretty cool.
>>
>>1519679
$15 an hour
>>
>>1519668
We have magnet schools in the US that are centered on Forestry.
>>
>>1519566
Depends on where you live. Go find a natural resource office and ask em.
>>
>>1519684
i was just asking out of interest since my country doesn't have those
>>
grasshopper hoarder apprentice
tough but honest living
>>
>>1519282
Dropped out of a fancy pants private school to pursue my dreams of maritime work (and it costed my parents way too much). There's a mariner's school around where I live, would it be better for me to take training there or just dive into work with a company? I don't really know two shits about the industry, I just want to be on a boat.
>>
>>1519668
I was in an outside kindergarten and elementary school, we went on full school day trips on fridays, it was really nice.
>>
>>1519688
https://www.ontario.ca/page/fireranger-wfx-fit-testing Basically this in Canada
>>
>>1518618
I am a nurse in a hospital so basically an /in/ job but it does give me days to be /out/ at times.
I'm also a sniper for the national guard. It isn't as glamorous as what most people think but it does allow me to fuck off and disappear while the rest of the main unit is running around like a bunch of idiots.
>>
>>1518618
Just fight foreat fires.

You don't have to be intelligent. You just have to have a physical fitness level equal to that of what everybody had pre-industrial era.

Do it and prove to yourself you are at least worth that much, then do a better job later.
>>
Nurse. Going military then medicine.
>>
>>1519367
No experience required. I have an associates degree in environmental tech "forest service major" but you don't make any money with that till you get a doctorate. I do much better out here
>>
>>1519415
I'm the barge guy. Tree service is not a career, I've been there done that. Ps having done both, I work much harder out here than you do sweetheart
>>
You do need a certain level of intelligence to fight forest fires. Maybe not so starting off but as you gain more experience and start getting into courses like advanced fire weather behaviour and incident command courses some of that stuff is actually pretty intense. I’m also a forest technician dealing with crown lands and wildlife
>>
>>1519484
You won't make any money till you get your doctorate. I ALREADY HAVE YOUR DEGREE. I left a hatchery job for the barge life
>>
>>1519512
If you're making enough doing that you must have no dependants and no responsibilities. I've done your job before so I know you make shit money
>>
>>1519682
That's shit for an adult
>>
>>1519696
You'll need a certificate from the school of your employers chosing. Call around and ask the companies you're interested in, be an adult
>>
>>1519747
>no dependants and no responsibilities
why would I want any one those?
>shit money
It's all realitive
>>
>>1519750
Sounds good, thanks. I understand that you work on a barge; are there any other lines of boat work that you've heard are good? I've heard great things about tugs. A relative of mine actually has close ties with the pilots around here, but I hear that you can't really become a pilot unless you're raised into it.
>>
wildland firefighting takes anybody with a pulse and its worth it to be honest

edit: anybody with a pulse implies you are physically fit and dont look like a pussy
>>
>>1519753
Tug boats push barges greenie. And you can do anything you put your mind to, connections aren't worth shit if the connected persons an idiot. I went through deckhand school with a captains son. He was a jackass and flunked out
>>
>>1519748
exactly
I'd be a park ranger if the pay wasn't barely even mall cop tier
>>
>>1519751
You're relatively a snowflake
>>
>>1519488
Basically
>>1519746
For real? Starting salary here is around 60-70k a year, which is pretty good compared to the 20-30k most people live off of. I might continue my education, but I’ll be graduating with both a bachelors and an assosciates
>>
>be me
>work on commercial constuction site doing concrete
>bossman tells me im fired at least 20 times a day
>asks me why the fuck I showed up again every morning

whatever, I keep getting per diem and my paychecks keep coming, you boomer piece of shit
>>
>>1519762
zing, nice one anon.
>>
File: pepearmy.png (939 KB, 1000x1000)
939 KB
939 KB PNG
>>1518618
US Army
>>
File: 7891430.jpg (822 KB, 2048x1536)
822 KB
822 KB JPG
Forester here, love my job.
>>
>>1519769 I did cell tower foundations for two years out of high school. Same shit lol don't let it get to you, sounds like he likes you honestly
>>
>>1519867
how do you get into that field?
>>
>>1518684
What do you do with all that money. I heard they make like $300k.
>>
>>1518618
Teacher
>6 weeks off in Spring for skiing or camping
>7-ish weeks off in Summer for camping, beach and festivals
>3 weeks off over Xmas/New years for ski trips
best part is it's all paid time off too.
good shit.
>>
>>1519659
Oh, grats! I'll probably end up doing that or growing/processing when Indiana finally wises up and legalizes. Thought about doing it in Illinois but it's like a 90 minute commute.
>>
I work in IT lol
>>
File: 042419.jpg (725 KB, 1500x1125)
725 KB
725 KB JPG
>>1519871
Usually with a four year degree.

(Pic related is a 120acre unit that I set up and laid out)
>>
>>1519881
Does it really count as paid time off when youre salaried for like 12k lol
>>
>>1519902
Teachers make above the median American salary. And for far fewer work days.

If you don't believe me Google it.
>>
>>1519401
Make any money? Find any nuggets? Do you legitimately sustain yourself like this?? Tell me the logistic pls
>>
>>1519748
It’s low 20s here in Ohio
>>
>>1518618
I work at a National Park as a general wage cuck. I do everything, I stack wood for glampers, I maintain trails, I sweep the walkways, I don’t serve food or clean toilets tho.

I overall hate 23% of it because a lot of people think they need to moderate other people who aren’t doing anything wrong and get power drunk.

Example:
“Hey! You can go that fast in here! It’s a 5mph zone!”
>it’s actually 20mph you filthy corpse
“You got a fishing license Bucko?!”
>I don’t need one, this is a free fishing pond, I’m also not keeping any
“Hey! Squirrels aren’t in season and you can’t have a in in this park”
>squirrels are always in season and we have no gun restrictions, I could bring a Mg-42 in here and as long as I have a licence they could care less
>>
>>1519882
thanks. its a comfy job. Leaves lots of energy to get /out/. hope you can get into it one day captain
>>
>>1519747
>shit money
Shit climbers make shit money. Sorry you weren't any good.
>>
Landscape architecture.

I'd consider it an /out/ job even if the work you do is mostly urban or for the most normie of outdoor users.

you have some site visits in the design phase and more in the later, project management phase but its largely indoor work sadly. the /out/ part is that you're designing for outdoor spaces, so your head is always outside even if your body isn't. But mostly I love it because of the type of work it is, creative, challenging, etc. Best decision of my life.
>>
>>1519668
Not really, but most of them have a big garden where to play of course.. mine did but I'm mostly lucky I could spend summers in the countryside. That's a very nice and important job anyway, happy those exist
>>
>>1518618
Merchant sailor.
>Literally get paid (handsomely) to travel the world as an engineer.
>Seeing meteor showers, lightning storms, whale pods, and hordes of 1000s of dolphins in the middle of the ocean.
>75+ days of 24/7 work followed by 2 months of union mandated vacation.
>Hard labor so your body is always in great shape for when you get home.

The only downside is the fact you can rarely hold down a relationship because most women aren't patient enough beings.
>>
>>1520192
So lucky, please share some pictures if you have.
>>
I own my own business, a small town grocery store.

Around this time of year we have a greenhouse full of annuals and some herbs so it's kind of /out/.

[
>>
>>1518717
so how do you make your money?
>>
>>1520192
What is the beat way for me to do this?

The schools are expensive and long. Is that the only way? If so, what is the best option for merchant marine school?
>>
>>1520210
He sucks dick to make money. The irony, I know.
>>
>>1519888
>destroying forests
Is this post meant to trigger /out/?
>>
>>1520210
I sell arts and crafts roadside.
>>
>>1520383
based and redpilled
>>
>>1520330
If you're a legal american citizen, join SIU. If you're a legal american citizen AND have half a brain with a good work ethic try the AMO Officer program.

Either way it's super physically demanding and if you have even the slightest motion sickness, forget it.
>>
>>1518618
Nipper in an underground zinc mine. Basically I jump in a landcruiser and drive around the mine putting ground support in place for machines to install it, normally at tunnels that have just been blow. Pretty cool job.
>>
>>1520145
You're a snowflake. The universe doesn't bend to to your limited experience or unwillingness to grow up. You're poor. Except it
>>
Warehouse safety incharge but off on sick leave. Dealing with a weak cancer in early stages.
Also a musician though I don't make anything out of it yet.
Strongly considering becoming a park ranger but don't know enough about it yet.
>>
>>1520192
Such a cool fucking job.
Maybe also get a qt that would get the same job and you guys are together basically all the time then. Kinda sounds like a curse actually.
>>
>>1520145
Tell me what you make and I'll tell you why it's not enough
>>
>>1518618
Im a retail assistant/till gopnick at a shitty retail store that pays minimal wage and demands maximum effort. If it were not for the good staff team I would have left by now, and with the new manager I might as well anyway. Bitch cant even do the basic stuff and disciplines workers for doing anything. Talking? Disciplined. Arrived late/missed a shift because she changed the rota during the week and didnt bother to tell anyone? Disciplined. Work on extra after your shift finishes because its stupid busy and theres only 2 other people on checkout? Disciplined. All the staff hate her and some of them actually want her dead, its that bad.
Getting out is really the only thing that lets me cope.
>>
>>1518684
You too?
>>
>>1518618
Nonprofit for babies. Mostly doing warehouse, donation and inventory work, but some client interaction here and there and plenty of volunteer events.
>>
I plan on going to college for Information Systems when I get out of the military. Is there any chance of blending a tech major like that with the outdoors?
>>
>>1520616
>nonprofit for babies
This sounds like the job description I would make up if I was just trying to pull dumb chicks
>>
>>1520666
Well satan, I know ecologist need to keep track of animals and stuff so having some way to do that can require tech and software. There's also stuff like GIS that's used by many outdoor work. The possibilities are endless if you put your mind into it.
>>
I work as a seasonal Wildland Fire fighter. I live and work /out for about 3-4 mo's a year. If you dont mind suffering a little, youll see some awesome views. Really good cameraderie, with all different types of folks too.
>>
>>1519416
what uni did you go to and what do you have to study to be a geophysicist?
curious to know more
>>
>>1519416
You got a masters right
>>
I currently work part time as a kids birthday party host at a local putt putt place but I am in need of career advice.
>In year 12 doing the HSC
>really unmotivated by all my subjects except for geography
>can't stand the thought of working in an office environment for my future

I have considered taking a gap year with Camp America but idk
would appreciate any input or advice
>>
>>1520507
>>1520512
>Own everything I need/want
>Eat well and drink well
>Have a nice place to live
>Plenty of leisure time and the money to enjoy it
>Fit and healthy with a bitchin farmers tan
I'm so content with my lot it's unreal. Just because you're insecure about your income doesn't mean others have to be.
>Wah dependants
>Wah responsibility
Why encumber myself with that while I'm young and healthy. I'm responsible for myself. Spawning some brats isn't going to do the world any good so that can wait.
>>
>>1518618
Easy joobie.
>>
I'm a gardener although currently I'm working as a Florist.
>>
>>1520837
I went to the university of Tasmania. Pretty crap uni generally but it's earth science and physics departments aren't too bad. The earth science department is heavily focused on mineral exploration research which is quite useful if you're going to work in Australia.

I did chemistry, geology, physics and math. If I could do undergrad again I'd pick up a few computer science units.

>>1520844
Did a BSc with honours. American colleagues inform me that honours in Australia is nearly on par with a North American masters but I'm not sure. Have since completed a PhD so that's kinda beside the point.
>>
>>1519668
I live in eastern Europe, so no
>>
>>1520714
Yeah, always lead with that part, never start by saying I mostly organize garage sale quality garbage and pack food bags all day. It sounds way worse.
>>
>>1520860
My point is when you need to start building a life now because one day you will want a family believe it or not, and no woman with any sense is going to marry a self-glorified wood chipper. I'm not insecure about my money, I'm fine. I sure was when I had your job though broke boy
>>
File: giphy.gif (383 KB, 245x150)
383 KB
383 KB GIF
>>1520860
>>
>>1520961
>building a life
I've made my choices and adopted a life style that doesn't revolve around the same mile stones as you have. Some people choose a different direction anon. Mine happens to involve very few out goings so I can be more than comfortable with less money. However, I'm lucky enough to have inherited enough saving that if ever choose to take a different direction buying property as settling down will never be an issue. Men in family have a long history of living like I do untill later life then settling down.
>wood chipper
I can't actually remember the last time I put wood in a chipper. I turn up, climb, then move onto my next job. I don't get hired to do ground work.
>>
>>1520510
Absolutely not! I know a few guys thought thought such a situation would be awesome. That was until their gfs started fucking the Chiefs and Captains to get out of work and promises for early promotions.

It's either that or just imagine the stress of being stuck with your gf 24/7 for 75+days straight with no escape. Sounds like heaven until you experience the reality.
>>
Hospital security, but I just applied to be a game warden in my state.
>>
>>1519250
That’s fucking retarded, being miserable your whole life to soothe your delicate machismo is way more soi than having a rich wife.
>>
>ITT cucks and sailors
>>
>>1520974
>Trust fund kid
Its all coming together now
>>
>>1521063
>muh trust funds
The sonorous war cry of an angry poorfag
>>
>>1519391
CU Boulder is a great school, especially for geology. One of the top.
>>
>>1521094
Now my only concern is I haven't taken my intro to geology class in like 2 years so I don't remember anything from it (I didn't think I'd want to do it back then) so im not sure if I should waste a semester taking it over or just hope I remember everything when taking the next class up
>>
>>1521098
If you’re in colorado you can go to FRCC (front range community college) to take some courses to get yourself back into the swing of school. Or you can just jump in. I’m not sure of CUs geology requirements to get into the school, just the college of science and engineering.
>>
>>1521102
I'm already accepted, actually, though i'm transferring from Michigan
Just sucks that they're not taking my calc classes from my community college
>>
>too dumb for uni
>jobs in short demand because I live in the arse end of the word called Tasmania
>gonna kms next week

Here’s a pic of me and my twin bro while /out/
>>
>>1521091
Again... I make more money than you... Get out more than you...
>>
I'm a mechanical engineer, chose this career path so I didnt starve to death but now I'm bored to death at a desk job - anyone know of any good field engineering jobs thatd get me moving around? Ive got experience in power generation, worked at a coal plant for a few years now
>>
>>1521124
>wearing shorts while its snowing
Come to Minnesota, we have need of people like you
>>
>>1521142
Whatever you need to tell yourself, poorfag
>>
>>1518618
I clean up chemical spills
>>
>>1521238
That’s what I did with your mam last night.
>>
>>1521144
geotechnical engineering

you make the most money working away from home, I'm working a wind farm in texas and fyi I didnt go to college, 5k+ every month with no bills because muh per diem
>>
in a couple weeks i'm moving right next to a national forest in colorado. i have a job as a bartender lined up but since i dropped out of college two years in it seems like my only decent options are gonna be food service or outdoors. thinking about trying out being a farmhand or something too. anyone have advice? what kind of jobs are in colorado?
>>
File: pEpE.jpg (114 KB, 1920x1080)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>1521385
im guessing you are that one annoying kid on xbox live
>>
>>1519520
on average, how much do you make as a ranch manager? thinking about applying to some ranch jobs and the pay is the only thing giving me pause.
>>
>>1521061
Being a sailor is fun. :)
Ya silly goose
>>
>>1521397
why not just learn a trade and work on the road

-you'll live on per diem and pocket your whole paycheck, you can just avoid bills like rent entirely
-you'll learn new things every day
-if you dodge alcohol and cigarettes you'll be a beast
-lots of joba are rural, you'll see tons of cool shit

also, wildland firefighting, a talented and skilled crew and you can be deployed more than 6 months, a normal crew you can be deployed 3 months

tons of ways to make good money once you drop the "it doesnt feel good" thing from your brain
>>
>>1521428
>knowing Xbox live

Kys
>>
>>1521397
don't only niggers work jobs like that. met a beauty on f/fit working those windmills and he said only niggers worked them jobs and theyre all dead retards ad he hates his coworkers and how he stridefully climb them poles with heavy cargo. Harnessing the wind would be epic though
>>
>>1521145
>full of Somalis
No thanks
>>
Infectious diseases doctor
>>
Geographic information systems analyst for an medium sized environmental consulting firm. Get to go out in the field as a second now and then.
2 weeks ago got to walk the bush that will become a housing issue development with one of our biologists. Looking for cavity trees, trees with holes in them that a bat might live in.
If we find enough cavity trees we will do another survey to record bat calls with our ultrasonic mics. Put the recordings in a software program and it determines what bat made it. If it's a species at risk here then the housing developer has more hoops to jump through, may have to put bat houses up in the future housing development, I'm not sure the specifics.
Very fun to go out in the field but I'm really weak and out of shape so I have a hard time keeping up bush whacking with the biologists. They truly have an /out/ job. Some of them can ID 200+ plants, our arborists can ID a couple hundred trees easily. Our best ornithologist is insane, has been on the news a few times for expert opinions.
>>
Submariner and I hate my life. I'm stationed in Washington, so at least the fishing is good
>>
>>1518962
Stay safe, anon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEtbFm_CjE0
>>
>>1520961
Jesus you are mad as fuck that this guy is happy with his station in life. Are you okay you screeching faggot?
>>
>>1518618
Synthetic biology/biotechnology
There’s not a lot of fieldwork but it’s great when I can get /out/ there. Should have been an ecologist.
>>
>>1521533
What's the pay like for this?
>>
>>1519304
looks like eastern WA
>>
>>1519174
Oh Christ it's the rustard.
>>
>>1521520
Dear lord how does someone this fucking stupid wander over to this board
>>
Appliance repairman half the week, content writing/social media shit the other half.

Pay sucks ass for both but I like the day to day repair work. Working on school at night towards an electrical engineering degree for $$$. Would like an /out/ career but am sick of being poor and want a job where I can go home at night.
>>
File: Snowglobe.png (344 KB, 576x467)
344 KB
344 KB PNG
>>1518618
Process chemist. I like it but it sadly has nothing to do with /out/ and neither do any of my coworkers, and it leaves me very little time for any of my hobbies, /out/ or otherwise.
>>
Land surveyor
>>
>>1521785
Not great. Probably everyone at the company minus management are sitting around 30 CAD an hour. As a general rule environmental jobs pay pretty low for the education needed (bachelor's at minimum, many of my coworkers have their masters)
However I have no problem going to work every day, sometimes I even look forward to it... Everyone in the office is an enviro nut with "brake for turtles" stickers on their hybrids, lol.
>>
>>1519361
>>1521805
Yep that's Yakima, WA.
>>
>>1522045
Do you love me?
>>
>>1522132
What do you make anon?
>>
>>1518618

Specialist nurse. Very much /in/ but I live in an /out/ place and spend most of my off time on the ocean in my kayak.
>>
>>1519359
If they could talk, they'd thank you.
>>
Medical lab scientist student working at a community pharmacy as a tech. The pay is meh compared to Kaiser but they are flexible with my hours, work every other weekend so my out time is pretty fucked at the moment.
>>
>>1519304
Try working at McDonald's. I'd rather not shower for three months and be outdoors, than keep this garbage of a life up.
>>
>>1520355
Would you rather that it got excavated for mining operations or turned in to farm fields?

Yeah it doesn't quite work that way, but foresting business keeps the landscape from being exploited (if you can count fir farming not exploited but whatever).
>>
File: 20190523_114443.jpg (543 KB, 2560x1920)
543 KB
543 KB JPG
>>1518618
Worked in logging until now. Today was my third day in an underground gold mine
>>
>>1522948
that pic was kind of shit
>>
>>1522949
>>
>>1522949
I’ll be real with you, I’m fuckin’ scared
>>
>>1522949
Who is that in the top left corner?
>>
>>1522958
It can be terrifying. In last night's shift a guy got crushed by a minecart, broke both his femurs
I'd never trade the woods for it but wasn't making much money lately so I had to
>>
>>1522961
A vampire
>>
File: Adventure_Tour.jpg (92 KB, 600x450)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>1518618

I'm a PO.

/out/ Careers:
-Adventure tour guide
-Environmentalist
-Farmer
-Forest/park ranger
-Geologist
-Landscape architect
-Lifeguard
-Marine biologist
-Ski/snowboard/surf instructor
-Wildland firefighter
>>
>>1521024
what degree do you have
>>
>>1520860
>Spawning some brats isn't going to do the world any good so that can wait
It's a shame shitskins can't be as conscientious and have the same sensible mindset as you have. We need less people but if there has to be overpopulation it would be better for it to be Euro or Euro descendants.
>>
the navy, just moved back home to California and I'm near some sweet trails
>>
>>1521552
that's fucking miserable, I bet you got a sweet bonus for selling your soul
>>
File: 1557620854359.jpg (312 KB, 1300x1600)
312 KB
312 KB JPG
>>1519079
>being this mad he didnt get hired as a chef at wendys
>>
>>1518618
work at a chicken factory and jerk off to plastic kpop bitches in my free time
>>
Security at a campground for the past two years, but I'm starting a new job as a welder helper on Wednesday.

Any tips and advice is very much appreciated lol
>>
>>1522985
This. For every kid some overly-sensitive white person is deciding not to have for altruistic purposes, some Somalian or east Indian is having 5 or 6.
Might as well have that kid.
>>
>>1519083
Tree life!!
I started out as a groundie, just got my first set of spurs/harness and flipline.
Nest paycheck i should have my own top-handle.
>>
>>1520145
This guy gets it
>>1520507
>t. Worked as a climber for two weeks for a shitty crew of dopeheads and now im sour as fuck
>>
>>1521552
Hey boi puget sound native here
>>
Microbiologist
Doesn't get much more /in/
>>
File: 20190526_123524.jpg (2.89 MB, 2370x1477)
2.89 MB
2.89 MB JPG
I build cell sites for Verizon. Sometimes I'm in the city on top of buildings and shit but I also work in da woods and on top of mountains. Pic related
>>
File: 1523924643863.jpg (210 KB, 1024x681)
210 KB
210 KB JPG
Software Engineer.
If I was born 150 years earlier, I would've been a blacksmith.
>>
I'm a travelling Physical Therapist. My work is indoors and sterile but I do travel contracts in super rural hospitals where they pay out the ass to have a PT for a few months so im usually pretty close to some state or national parks. Pic related is from my last contract in Wyoming.
>>
>>1518618
Business development for a recruiting firm. It’s not /out/ but I do get outside to meet clients at least. I’m based in Charlotte so at least the mountains are nearby as well as two good sized lakes.
We have an office in MT too, so I’m hoping I can get transferred out there for at least a year.
>>
>>1519304
>>1519803
AIT 25s here, how often do your satcom guys get to do /out, stuff? Gordon is low-speed as hell so far.
>>
Dishwasher lmao

Finishing my degree in biology, no idea what I'm gunna do after
>>
>>1520819
Could I work less than that?

Getting my certs soon, but I have a baby on the way, don't really want to be gone 1/3 to 1/4 of the year
>>
>>1523802
I'm looking at doing similar. I'm a former Navy Hospital Corpsman with 6 years of medical experience. I'm using my GI Bill to go be a medical laboratory technologist. It won't pay nearly as much but I already get VA compensation and just need enough to live comfortably and be able to save some.
>>
File: 1557520817513.jpg (123 KB, 1024x1024)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
Im 22 and write shitty online articles, play occasional live shows, and colllect disability-bux because nobody wants to hire a paranoid schitzophrenic who also has seizures on a monthly basis. I was a manager at a honey farm for a little over 3 years, but lost the position last August after I went off on a bit of a psychotic tirade in front of my higher-ups. In my defense I had just been prescribed a new anti-psychotic medication which resulted in the hallucinations becoming more rampant and aggressive in nature. Until I can find a good, real job that pays a deecent salary ill just keep doing what I have available to get by. I have a deecent chunk of what ive made in the last 4 years put aside in my savings, and my plan is to gradually save up enough to purchase farm property and start a small homey operarion of my own one day.
>>
>>1519083
Rip to you also anon.
>>
>>1519304
Lol is that Yakima?
>>
Anyone have any recommendations for a 20 year old trying to get into a career as an ecologist or wildlife restoration dude?
>>
>>1524072
well shit, good on you for keeping your head up and your eye on the goal. lots of people can't save worth a fuck, so it sounds like you're already ahead of the game.

>>1524102
no useful advice on academic track, but look into volunteering with the Nature Conservancy and possibly summer jobs with the government (botany technician might be directly relevant)
>>
>>1519416
Ahh fucking kill me, I did electronics engineering but that’s the kind of job I romanticise
>>
>>1518949
anon said physical labour, not advertisement
>>
Environmental management and engineering.
Pays fairly well and you get out a bit to do surveying once in a while.
>>
>>1519180
What Job do you do i want it
>>
Assistant at an insurance place. I actually want to die, and have put on like 20 lbs since i started, got ulcers from drinking heavily. It`s fucking based. Office work is so terrible. I`m thinking of going back to school to try and do geology, but I`m not confident with that choice, and I gotta move out of the east coast so I can afford to live on my own.
>>
File: 1545607813911.jpg (48 KB, 388x443)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
US army scout, love being /out but hate being stationed in Georgia. Weather is ass and nothing but dense swamps. Wish i was further north.
>>
>>1523666
Barge anon here.i did that for 2years. How many hours y'all kill a week? We worked around 100hrs\week. Made silly money boi
>>
>>1518987
I got a ba in environmental science a little over a year ago and work in consulting now. If you’re in a state with a lot of regulation, you may be able to find something fairly easily.
>>
Medifag in training. I have no idea why I'm doing it aside from the fact that blood and guts doesn't bother me. I wish I could find something I would truly enjoy /out/ but I figure it's better to have a license and then get a different job as opposed to not having a license in the first place. I end up studying nearly every waking hour I'm not at dinner and any free time I have I go /out/ even if its perched in a tree next to the university parking lot.
>>
Wilderness Therapy Field Guid here
>>
>he hasn't joined the Forester master race

>>1519122
>>1519867
Based.
>>
>>1524728
>based
That word, you're using it wrong.
>>
>>1519402
Thats sounds awesome, whats that like?
>>
File: funny-work-and-travel.jpg (47 KB, 460x251)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
this
>>
File: sako.jpg (400 KB, 600x600)
400 KB
400 KB JPG
i do masonry work like yards and walls, all kinds of water/poop stuff, roads, landscaping and repair bridges

every time first thing i do is check if there are any fishing waters nearby and spend atleast weekends there

last year i lived 4 months near our broken bridge eating fish and drinking beer, before that 3 months same stuff

now there is pretty big and popular fishing hole 5 kilometers from worksite but it might be so crowded every day that ill pass
>>
I'm looking to get into construction, but have no previous experience. I'm based in Bath ( UK ) and am curious whats the best way to go about getting in this field.
>>
>>1524512
hes probably on a fishing boat. they make bank for 6 months and then for the rest of the year spend all of it on hookers and blow
>>
>>1521444
What's a good trade that can allow me to travel across the country frequently?
>>
software "engineer"
shit sucks, my company pays super well but the work is pretty unfulfilling. currently saving up so i can buy some land in the middle of nowhere and fuck off for a while.
>>
Chef at Yosemite.
Kill me
>>
>>1526179
Every single software engineer I know is like “I’m fucking rich, please kill me and burn down the company”. Scared me out of the career.
>>
>>1520819
I wanted to do this when I was younger but I’m pretty sure having a heart condition exacerbated by lack of sleep kills my chances
>>
I may have an opportunity to get a job on an Alaskan fishing boat. (Biology fag)

I'd be stuck on it for 2 weeks to 3 months at a time. Anyone done anything like this? Worth it?
>>
File: 1513289277756.png (629 B, 111x125)
629 B
629 B PNG
>>1519174
What do you do during your time off if you don't have an apartment or anything? Where do you keep your stuff? I'm genuinely curious how that works for you.
>>
>>1526067
large commercial companies of ANY trade
>>
>>1526305
It's not that hard, and I mean if you drop dead at least you died with honor?
>>
>>1526312
Do you like Mexicans?
>>
>>1526329
I mean, they're not the worst
>>
>>1526331
Well the only people that do these kinds of jobs are lunatics and immigrants, I for one am a lunatic.
>>
>>1526334
I'm broke. That good enough?
>>
>>1526337
Run 5 miles and then fight a stranger without getting arrested then reply with results

This is the only way I can know you are serious
>>
>>1526300
>burn down the company
i can attest to that. every single company i've worked for has had its share of huge egos and control freaks competing with one another. i think it's because its a field where you can make a lot of money right away with relatively little experience and education, but once you get past the first couple years your pay doesn't increase nearly as much - you need to become a lead to make the money at that point, which leads to the greedy ones stepping on everyone around them and manipulating people to get those spots, usually losing a bunch of the actual cool people in the process.
>>
>>1526339
Nah bro.

I'm working a dead end lab tech job. I have a BS bio and can't afford to get an MS. I've applied for every state and Fed job I can, and no luck.

I just need to make some goddamn money.
>>
>>1526342
You lack conviction
>>
>>1519174
This guy again
>>
>>1518618
Graduated in computer science last week, applying to jobs in the state I want to move to so I can escape this hellhole. Hope that one day I get good pay so I can live comfortably working few hours. Wish me luck brothers.

>>1523673
based career taste. I woulda gone for that or being a baker I think
>>
>>1526343
incel gets his first job since he doesnt have any applicable skills and thinks hes hot shit working on a fishing boat
one have sex 2 its not that bad incel
if anon keeps to himself and listens to the droning noise hell be fine
>>
>>1518618
>Department of Military Affairs Security Officer
I LARP as a Cop with a gun and a plate carrier outside/inside of military installations and get to drive a Kubota Side by side or F150 work truck with disco lights
>>
I work at some caves with some pretty decent fossils, before that it was a dinosaur museum. I love my job, allows me to LARP, going on a field trip in July to the outback. Shopping around for some leather kneepads for my cotton drill trousers now.

>>1521124
Based. I went to uni there, miss Tassie. Jobs are an issue. You should do a fitter and turner apprenticeship and get work on the West Coast Wilderness Railway.
>>
File: Train.jpg (75 KB, 720x960)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>1518684
How do you keep your dick from chafing your knees?
>>
>>1520898
How much do you make? A buddy and I are about to start a biz up and I’m not too sure about the income.
>>
>>1524923
Can I get an "I feel" statement, anon?
>>
File: 1447454808016.jpg (536 KB, 2509x1673)
536 KB
536 KB JPG
>>1521109
>I'm already accepted, actually, though i'm transferring from Michigan
>Just sucks that they're not taking my calc classes from my community college
Fair warning, CU is a tough school, especially in the STEM side of the house. Don't expect to just party your way through any of the stem majors. You're gonna have to work for that shit, but if you can hack it you're in good shape post-grad. CU is highly respected by employers.

>t. aerofag at CU '11
>>
>>1526328
Nah I don’t mind dying, I mean I’m pretty sure they won’t let me.
>>
>>1526492
Only fucking morons ride suicide.
>>
Nurse. I get 7 day weekends.
>>
>>1520383
>panhandler
bum
>>
>>1526492
Those pants are incredibly dumb
>>
>>1527827
Panhandlers/bums are offering nothing, only begging for one way exchanges.
>>
Copied from abother thread.

Anyone have experience with the federal job application process?

Applied for US Forest Service (1 vacancy) and yesterday got "referred to hiring official." HR wouldn't tell me how many people got referred.

How long should it be till I hear anything? I've got an Alaska fisheries observer job in the bag otherwise, but I'd MUCH rather work for the feds.
>>
>>1528287
it's a clusterfuck. but it might be worth getting in touch with your maybe-future-supervisor, HR quite often doesn't know shit.

It may also be that the position you applied to is for backfill--iow they may not actually have any vacancies but they're trying to get some qualified candidates on deck in case the guy who has the job now jumps ship. shitty thing to do but there it is. sorry. if you haven't seen the outreach notice for the vacancy (https://fsoutreach.gdcii.com/) it may have some useful information that the usajobs page omitted.
>>
>>1528295
>https://fsoutreach.gdcii.com
Thanks, unfortunately the announcement has already closed, so I wasn't able to see anything on that website.
>>
>>1522138
How to acquire this job?
>>
>>1522949
Jesus those support beams do not look safe
>>
Anyone a fishery observer? How is it?
>>
>>1528404
If you want more money and quicker promotions you usually need a two year degree. Without that you can still go and apply to company’s for an entry level position like rod man etc. after a year or two you depending on who you work for you can start to rise through the ranks.
>>
>>1526179
>tfw writing software without a degree
They pay you half for the same job.

I quit that shit after 6 months. Back to being an electrician. Glorifying "comfy" 9 to 5 jobs was a mistake.
>>
>>1518859
I make $600k doing that job you daft cunt, but that’s mostly just becausenI have a 9 inch cock.
>>
>>1519497
How does one become a rough neck? I figure I'd have to move up to alberta/Alaska, or Texas. Do I just apply, do I need any relevant experience? Does it pay as well as I've heard?
>>
>>1518618
I’m a crafts men for an Amish Cabinet company. Make good money. I get to do something I love during the week then I spend my weekends doing what I want out doors with a comfy /out/ girl.
>>
lol imma cornnigger who was pushed the STEM shit, because I could program as a kid. Now in entry-level help desk + associate's degree, and I want to fucking die lmao. I want something /out/ but make a liveable wage for a family. I want to finish my degree, but goddamn... I just don't want a career that wasn't decided by me
>>
>>1519079
>new fag
>le summer meme
haha go back to redit
>>
>>1520383
so you are a bum. at least become a drug dealer or something, selling garbage to people is fucking lame.
>>
>>1519294
yeah, came here to post this >>1519339
just dont work for cancer companies with autistic company culture that pressures you to work fucking 12h a day. In principal, if they have a fucking game room and free beer then get the fuck out because this means most employees basically live in the office.
>>
>>1518618
Patent examiner. Work from home full time.
>>
Lease some farmland on which I rear beef cattle, buy in young lambs to fatten, also graze young replacement herds of dairy cows. Out in the hills every day and my own boss (apart from dealing with the farm owner in regards to maintenance etc).

I suggest to anyone think about how you can make your own way in a local industry, find a niche not a job.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.