[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: viper2.jpg (11 KB, 225x225)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Can i get /out/pilled on a pair of binoculars to observe wildlife and other interesting things while /out/?
>>
>>1517006
>pic unrelated

You had one job.
>>
File: viper1.jpg (8 KB, 225x225)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>1517008
>>
reminder this thread is killing /out/ and you should sage your posts
inb4 when was it alive
>>
File: 1555977005506.jpg (278 KB, 1200x1200)
278 KB
278 KB JPG
>>1517055
>>
File: viperspoon.png (406 KB, 500x500)
406 KB
406 KB PNG
binoculars are heavy and a pain to adjust. get a monocular
>>
File: yik3s.jpg (130 KB, 1565x564)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>1517200
respekt dude but its 3 l8 4 me
>>
>>1517008
Fuck off ho
>>
>>1517006

Birder here - don't even bother with cheapo binoculars. They'll fall apart under the slightest abuse. I must have gone through 3-4 cheap sets before finally biting the bullet on pic related.

I've had them for 5+ years, dropped them more times than I can count, they've endured rain, 100+ degree weather, snow, you name it, and they're doing great. Highly recommend
>>
>>1517722
I'll return that bitch then. I'll squint real hard till i buy a nice pair.
>>
>>1517722
>Biting the bullet
>$150

In all honesty though that's about the min for a real pair, check the Audubon website they have binocular recommendations for the different price ranges, sub 200 is their categorization of budget optics and I agree with that classification. The cheap/old stuff is often more a hindrance than an enhancement.

Binoculars are great, but it is a different way of enjoying nature, at first I found I almost never used them until I learned to slow down my pace overall. You don't realize when you're looking just at the large views and changes in scenery how fast you move through them. Until you get into the swing of moving sloooowly and really stopping to see what's happening that you start to notice how much nature there is. Most animals just wait like 10 seconds while a noisy bunch of dog walkers bustle past without moving or making a noise.

Last thing, 10x is a lot. I would recommend 8x for a handheld binocular, the higher the magnification the smaller the field of view and the more shaking is amplified, 8x is still a ton of magnification you won't miss any detail but you will see things much clearer. 8x42 is as close to standard as it gets, I recommend it.
>>
File: image.jpg (1.9 MB, 4032x3024)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB JPG
I selected a pair of vortex diamondback 10-42s over nikon monarch 5 10-42 and leupold bx-2 arcadia. How bad did I do?
>>
>>1520401
I have the same ones. Good so far.
>>
>>1517722
can confirm, have same pair
>>
>left foot fits size 45 boots perfectly
>Right foot fits 44-44.5
>Going down makes the left too tight on the toes
>Going up causes significant heel slippage in the right
This is fucking bullshit. I've tried on so many fucking boots, Asolo, Anatom, Vasque, Zamberlan, Salomon, Lowa, nothing helps with this issue.
>>
>>1517006
Anyone have experience tree planting in Alberta, BC or there about? Anyone know of any companies that are taking workers right now? I need a change of pace and want a summer gig.
>>
>>1522053
Just find someone with a 45 right foot and a 44-44.5 left. Then just buy a 44 and he can buy a 45, trade the wrong sizes and you'll both be happy.
>>
>>1517722
t.1%
>>
>>1522053
have you tried wearing thicker socks on your smaller foot, you footlet?
>>
What can you do when night comes up if you can't make fire ?
>eat
>sleep
>"""chill"""
>think about what you do tomorrow...
>???
>>
>>1522575
>Size 45
>Footlet
?
>>
>>1522774
>Read a book
>Masturbate
>Play cards
>Whittle
>Look at stars
>>
>>1522774
Read
Write
Poop in a cup
>>
I'm fairly new can you just give me general tips you wish you would have known when you first started going /out/?
>>
>>1523176
Learn about ticks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2aIyKjVRi0
and read this
https://archive.org/details/officialboyscout71967boys
>>
>>1523180
fucking tick bastards. i carry a single shot large-caliber pistol to dome myself if I every get one
>>
>>1523201
>Living somewhere where ticks are an issue
Laughing_Kiwis.jpg
>>
File: IMG_0033.jpg (2.49 MB, 3264x2448)
2.49 MB
2.49 MB JPG
Freshwater
Does this look like a good spot to go fishing or are there too many reeds and water too murky?
If so what type of rig set up would you use?
It is a weir with a fast moving water run off down a wall.
>>
File: Untitled.png (217 KB, 799x594)
217 KB
217 KB PNG
What's the fastest hand saw to cut old dry branches into firewood?
I've seen more than 1 article recommending the top style of saw for fast cutting, but my every instinct tells me the bottom one would work better.
>>
Not sure if this is /out/ but how hard would it be to learn to ride a bike as an adult? I heard adults can pick it up a lot easier because they have a better sense of balance than kids.
>>
What is a warm but lightweight blanket to camp with? Needs to be able to roll up small as possible.
>>
>>1524172
To add to this, I have a wool blanket but they are not easy to wash
>>
>>1523842
Def the bow saw. Probably cuts just as well but much lighter and easier to carry and store because of its loop shape. Also much more versatile in terms of handling and maneuvering because of its design. I use one one of those frequently when I camp in the back acres and really couldn't imagine trying to find a convenient way to carry a regular wood saw along with all the other gear.
>>
>>1523842
for dry wood, the finer style teeth work better.

those raker tooth blades on the lower saw are great for green wood, but in my experience really suck on dry wood. Sauce: a week canoe camping where my fine-ish compact bahco jobbie was saw of choice over the huge raker tooth bow saw for cutting up the long lengths of dry(ish) firewood they leave by regular camp spots.

Raker teeth will go surprisingly far through ones thumb before one realises what's going on though... Source - I'm and idiot with one slightly differently shaped thumb.

The finer more regular style of teeth in a bow saw would be my choice for dry wood. Perfectio.
>>
>>1524172
down, in a thin and lightweight shell material.
>>
>>1524130
riding a bike is physics. if you're not a retard with some serious crippling condition you don't need to learn anything. the only issue is overcoming your fear. so I suggest you smoke a fat joint, get a helmet and some elbow/kneepads and just get going. it's a matter of 3 minutes once you aren't afraid of falling over anymore.
>>
>>1524187
>smoke a fat joint
What does that help with?
I mainly just feel stupid being my age and not knowing how to ride a bike. I'm sure I'll have to eventually bite the bullet and ride around in a park falling down like an idiot for a little while.
>>
>>1524179
Thanks. How's the durability and what's a decent price to look for?
>>
>>1524130
1. lower the saddle until you can reach the ground with your feet while seated
2. run while sitting on the bike
3. raise your feet and realize you're still rolling
4. put your feet on the pedals and start spinning
5. you're riding a bike
>>
File: fc0.jpg (37 KB, 500x364)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
I need an EPUB or a MOBI or a well formatted PDF for basic knots stat.
>>
Buy once, Cry once. Hold out for quality.
$$$ usually implies quality, do research.
Change into next days underwear before you get into your bag. You'll sleep warmer/notdie.
Multitools usually only do a passable job. Single use tools are often much better.
Unless windy/rainy tents aren't worth the “protection” they offer. They cut off your senses and provide a false sense of security. You think you're isolated, the whole world knows where you sleep.
All chicks say they like hiking/camping. Most don't.
>>
>>1524280
What's your question?
>>
>>1523180
>Minnesota
FUCK

Least I'm not in Wisconsin.
>>
Anybody recommend a very light, good quality pair of binoculars or monocular?
>>
What's something I can do to get my adrenaline pumping for cheap? I'm in Idaho so there's a lot of nature stuff to do, but I'm looking for something a little dangerous.
>>
>>1524472
Smoke.
>>
>>1517006
Does anyone have that video fo that /out/ chick getting helicoptered into the woods and camping on a river, in like a tent and making biscuits, i only watched a bit and want to watch the whole thing but i cant find it for the life of me.
>>
What temperature do you guys recommend for a 3 season bag for BC?
I have a good winter bag because that's when I've done most of my camping, but I'm hoping to get out more over the next couple of months. I was going to opt for a 35F/2C bag, but a lot of parks can dip that low even in summer around here, and was wondering if a 20F bag would serve better as long as it won't be too hot.
>>
>>1522774
Wait for them skinnies to strike
>>
ideas for a fully enclosed a frame with a floor?
>>
How many of you are skinnyfat?
>>
I'm going to be working /out/ for the summer and I need a flashlight that I can use daily for a few months. Weight is a minor factor but I'm fine to carry heavy. I have access to electricity so rechargeable lithium ion would be preferred.
What flashlights are based?
>>
How autistic am I for returning my Kelty TN2 I never used for a single door tent?
>>
File: oh wow.jpg (225 KB, 1037x583)
225 KB
225 KB JPG
How the fuck do you camp under a tarp without being massacred by mosquitos?
>>
>>1524472
Youre in idaho my man we have the roughest whitewater in the whole world here do some kayaking
>>
What are some deodorants that don't fall apart in high heat? I've had several crumble on me when I try to use them
>>
How much of a hinderance would a quarter inch thick spine be on a short fixed blade? It'd be used for camp chores; splitting small logs, light whittling, shelter making (in addition to a hatchet) etc and I already have a folder for food prep, small game skinning and whatnot. Pic related
>>
>>1527216
Have you tried mosquito coils? Spraying the tarp with citronella could work too
>>
>>1527210
>>1527210
Bump!
>>
File: shopping.jpg (15 KB, 518x518)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>1527472
Get some roll on
>>
>>1527875
Who gives a shit stop being so insecure
>>
Anyone have experience with the federal job application process?

Applied for US Forest Service (1 vacancy) and yesterday got "referred to hiring official." HR wouldn't tell me how many people got referred.

How long should it be till I hear anything? I've got an Alaska fisheries observer job in the bag otherwise, but I'd MUCH rather work for the feds.
>>
>>1527245
That sounds awesome, I'll look into kayak prices. Thanks for the suggestion
>>
>geocaching
why is it so bad? at least around me most of the caches are just plastic containers retards have buried under some rocks and filled with cheap plastic toys. It's literally just littering at that point.
>>
>>1527636
Bros plox
>>
What's the best electricity solution for on the go? Are solar panels a meme? Should I get a generator? It's just to power a laptop and a beacon for work.
>>
>>1528428
If it's sharp it will cut shit but you would obviously be better served with something like a mora companion (tm).
>>
Anyone ever done the Welsh 3000s walk? How did you find it? I'm going to do it in a few weeks time.
>>
>>1524504
Curious
>>
>>1524583
BC Anon reporting in. My summer bag is 0C and have never had a problem with it not being warm enough spring-fall.
>>
File: that's a yikes for me.png (1.98 MB, 1366x768)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB PNG
>>1529025
>>1524504
Here frens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WASK7oF9dog

>watching autistic dykes
>>
Do you go /out/ because you really enjoy it or do you go /out/ because you're a antisocial loner and it's one of the best activities since in many places there's no one around to bother you?
>>
>>1528944
No, I've done the Horseshoe and Tryfan before and the 3000s are one of my goals for the near future too. It sounds like a killer day but would be a major achievement
>>
File: file.png (125 KB, 425x425)
125 KB
125 KB PNG
Recently I used vinegar and some of this stuff to restore chinesium charcoal grill that had rusted pretty badly this past winter. It worked great and looks spotless, even after a few uses.

Do you think it'd be worth to use on camping stoves to prevent soot stains/discoloration?
>>
>>1529129

Her appearance is absurdly contrived. Also, why do dykes take the outdoorsy image but not the appreciation/know-how?
>>
>>1523518
Shellfish bump
>>
File: Capture.png (142 KB, 189x251)
142 KB
142 KB PNG
Are all eggs safe in a pinch? Like I love choking down eggs and it's not like I'd go out my way to eat endangered eggs but if there was a stash of bird/lizard eggs would it be safe to assume they won't make me sick?
>>
Are lifestraws just a meme?
I understand they do not filter viruses, still, are they worth it?
>>
How many hours can you sustainably walk per day over a long period? (>1month) Assume light load, sleeping hammock.
>>
>>1530546
Uh, most of them will have baby animals in them
>>
>>1530485
>pair of glasses and a flannel
>"contrived"
Literally just irrational woman hating at this point
>>
File: 1549800338620.png (3.5 MB, 2000x2000)
3.5 MB
3.5 MB PNG
>>1517006
Maybe more /diy/ but need some advice

Anyone know where I can get a good moisture wicking-tshirtish material that is also a cotton blend (atleast 50%) for some mild fire-proofing. 100% synthetic will just melt to the skin. I need fabric for a project
>>
>>1530822
So does all food by that logic
>>
Is there anything i can do to stop getting mosquito bites every 3 seconds?
>>
Who /gardening/ here?

My aloe is gone reddish and when I cut it stinks. Is it salvageable? I read somewhere "too much water" and started rationing its water, but no luck. I'm sad about the little bugger.
>>
>>1527216
You don't. Tarps are a meme, why do you think you never saw that type of system except for the last 5 years? Because everyone who doesn't unironically own and wear a loin cloth uses a tent.
>>
>>1531404
Wear bug spray.
>>
I can't fucking decide on gear, I want to get outside in a month but spend more time looking at shit then I will being outdoors. Having OCD is fucking painful bros.
>>
>>1534024
>I can't fucking decide on gear
Same, being a poorfag is fucked up.
>>
>>1528944
Yeah did the 3000s over two days. If you get the weather is a great hike. I did it in a sort of figure of 8 as my car was parked in the middle. There's some good scrambling round there so incorporate it into your route
>>
>>1530745
Get a sawyer
>>
>>1527216
Use a bug net or bug bivy
>>
>>1534024
You're a consumerist whore. But don't worry getting out is a good cure. Get the fuck off the internet and go camping. You don't need an online guide it's easy. You sleep outside.
>>
>>1534055
You're a fucking idiot, you know that? If someone can't decide on a simple shelter set up how do you get to the point where you tell them
>lol dude just go camping
dear lord anon
>>
>>1534107
sounds like you'd also do well to get out. have you tried camping?
>>
>>1526823
Any 18650 battery zebra light.
>>
you often hear
>you shouldnt have cloths on in your sleeping bag so your body can regular temp and take advantage of trapped air in the sleeping bag

but i almost always go into my sleeping bag fully clothed and rarely feel trapped humidity, i hear that its bad?

butt hen. when i get up at night i can gi pee with no trouble?

mostly i want to know, you people wgo take off your clothes before going in the fleeping bag, where, do you put your clothes?

where do you put your clothes?
>>
>>1534107
>can't decide on a simple shelter set up
If it takes you more than maybe a day or two to decide this youre a fucking mongoloid.
>Buy $20 coleman 8x6 tent
>Wow it works just fine as a fucking tent!
Stop pulling the gay-ass tumblr card of "ohh woe is me my mental retardation prevents me from soing ANYTHING :((("
>>
>>1524130
You'll get it easily. Just don't get cocky too fast or you'll injure yourself
>>
>>1529164
Both
>>
>>1534358
On the floor, beside me, wherever really
>>
>>1523518
Doesn't look great. Try bobber fishing or letting bait on the bottom for carp / catfish. Try to find deeper and less choked up water if you can.
>>
Is a water filter like a lifestraw suitable for drinking water from streams in semi-/suburban areas? I wouldn't hesitate to drink from a mountain stream but I'm curious as to whether one of these things will remove human pollution. I'm not talking about drinking from city rivers or chemical waste run-off, but I'm planning a long-distance cycling tour where I'll often be going through populated areas and I'd like to be able to drink from streams without worrying about too much about what's up-river.
>>
>>1534389
Thanks, appreciate it, didn't want to be pissing in the wind wasting tackle
>>
>>1533987
First timer growing potatoes here.

I planted one whole potato and it seems to be sprouting. I know that you can cut it into smaller pieces to increase yield, but do you just bury them immediately? Or do I have to do something so they won't end up rotting before the eyes sprout?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.