[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 57 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Any scuba divers out there?
>>
>>1510223
I cant afford it right now, but its one of my life goals. I snorkel as much as i can when on vacation at the sea.
>>
>>1510223
Not professional but have done it a few times on vacation before. Saw some pretty cool shit, especially in Mexico and Vietnam
Thinking of getting my certification next year
>>
I was taught how years ago and loved every minute of it, but I never bothered to get certified. I ought to one of these days, even if the waters where I live are silty as fuck unless you get way the hell out there.
>>
yup i scuba and freedive as much as i can in local lakes and stuff. I want to get into cavediving next
>>
>>1510223
That shit looks terrifying.
>>
>>1510451
Don’t forget to seek out some Top Treasure, anon.
>>
Went to commercial dive school and am starting my own business doing freelance dive work for locals around the water here (PNW area).
I've always loved being in the water, pretty psyched to get started.
>>
>>1510223
Yuah, got my Ice cert this winter
>>
Yeah lad, got my OWD cert in 2016
thinking of maye doing the advanced course this year
>>
>>1510223
Yes. It's great, but trips are expensive. I only go one/year at most.
>>1510425
see if there are any local quarries or anything. Some of them are stocked with fish and have interesting stuff (I've seen one with a sunken bus and other things). Not anything like diving in the tropics, but at least it's better than some shitty cloudy midatlantic dive
>>
>>1511392
Why even go to DIT if you're just gonna do hull wipes and recovery?
>>
>>1515781
I'm part of the union, just waiting on my company to get some work for me. We're just now getting out of the slow season afaik.
>>
>>1515784
Fair enough, Im in famine mode too.
Global or Ballard?
>>
>>1510223
This... >>1505895

Check the catalog
>>
>>1515942
AUS actually.
I've been trying to get on with both Global and Ballard but no luck yet.
How long have you been diving?
Did you go to dit?
>>
>>1515960
About 5 years. When did you graduate? Global is tough to get your foot in the door.
I actually was one of the owners of a smaller company in Seattle before I moved.
>>
>>1516169
2017. Did some work with a potable company based out of South Dakota and then came back and got on with aus. I haven't actually been in a hat for about a year now.
What happened to your company? Why'd you move?
>>
>>1516177
Company is still going but theyre not hiring.
I just got sick of the pnw basically, took my money and ran. Diving somewhere warmer now.
If AUS isn't giving you work or putting you in a hat then fuck them. Id start looking around. Cali has all the best union gigs.
>>
>>1516179
Cool, I'll look around down there.
Any companies in particular you'd recommend?
>>
>>1516189
Theres myers marine division and phoenix I think. But id get in touch with some of the union halls down there and see what they got going.
We won a lot of bids off aus when I was working up there and they always seemed like dicks haha. Good luck bro, fair winds and following seas.
>>
>>1516205
You too. Thanks man.
>>
I just got certified this year, hopefully will save enough money for a trip to Malaysia for my next dive
>>
File: 447_1525461727935.jpg (271 KB, 768x1024)
271 KB
271 KB JPG
Im an instructor, tech diver, and commercial diver. Diving is life... diving is love.
>>
>>1510223
i got certified a while ago when i was a kid and went out more than a few times with my dad. its been a while but i want to go again soon
>>
How would one become a scuba diver as profession with only military experience and highschool diploma Canada btw
>>
>>1519495
Google commercial diving schools if you want to do underwater construction/inspection
>>
>begin scuba diving
>cant clear my ears
>over do it
>inner barotrauma

hello tinitus
>>
>>1519003
>Gorski
Fucking hipster.
>>
>>1516205
Dunno if you're still here but I'm >>1516211.
Literally the day after that post I got s call from Cascade and went on a job with them. Great guys, I'll be working with them again soon.
Serendipitous as fuck.
>>
>>1519587
That's a desco you mong
>>
File: 1550027522107.gif (1.43 MB, 200x131)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB GIF
>>1519591
>>
>>1519595
My personal hat is a 37, company has descos for use if you don't have a hat
>>
>>1510223
I can't swim.
>>
So, anyone ever dive Palau or Hawaii? Wife wants to go those places.
>>
>>1519589
Nice one man, glad its working out. Diving is a scizophrenic career for sure ha.
>>
>>1519003
That umbilical is a disgrace.
>>
>>1520347
This.
He probably went to CDA.
>>
https://www.senecacollege.ca/programs/fulltime/UWS.html
>>1519508
This?
>>
>>1520373
Not him but yes, if you're a canuck you'll need a DCBC certification. The nice thing about the DCBC is its recognized by IMCA and generally recognized by US dive companies. Do your research though, check out what the tuition is, theres a few dive schools in Canada. Believe me the most important thing is cert and low tuition, fuck any "we're the best" shit. All that matters is that cert.
>>
>>1520373
Also, this is commercial, aka hard hat, surface supply diving. Not scuba. Most people do not last long in commercial diving and way too many cherries get pumped out of dive schools. If you want to be a scuba instructor or go on tours and recreational shit thats all PADI or NAUI etc etc. Two very different paths.
>>
>>1520352
Lol. Not talking shit but I wouldnt dive for a company with shitty umbilicals and desco pots without the rope and only one knife.
>>
>>1510223
Yeah. Got my Advanced Open water and a couple specialties a few years back.
>>
>>1510223
no. none. there are no scuba divers out there. your whole life you've been lied to. scuba divers are a government conspiracy. get woke.

dumbass.
>>
>>1520792
Jeez louis there mr. sand in his pants.
>>
I got SSI certified last month. I'm poor so I can't buy a full kit all at once, should I start with buying a bcd or my regulators? (Assuming I'll be renting the rest of the kit)
>>
>>1519508
Your first poor life choice.

I got out of dive school in 1996, and still freelancing. All due to poor life choices.

I would recommend another path Anon.
>>
>>1523832
What? he can make upwards of 14 dollars an hour in the gulf of mexico and only needs to wait 5 years or so before he gets to actually dive. With the pittance of 30 grand for dive school its just makes sense buddy.
>>
Anyone here do any scuba/snorkel/freedive/spearfishing in colorado that can talk about it?
>>
>>1523832
I graduated in '17 and am currently diving in the pacific Northwest for around $90/hr.
>>
How much should it cost to get into super cheap diving? Just for fun.
Canada btw
>>
>>1523829
list of things you'd buy:
fins and mask
computer
regs
then bcd

pretty much in that order. computers you can take anywhere on holiday if youre serious. mask and fins are always handy, i recommend mares quatros and a mask that fits.

sunnto d4i is what a lot of dive fags use.

regs are good, you can usually pick them up second hand. problem with buying it brand new is that heaps of cunts rarely use it.

dive fag instructor on the great barrier reef.
>>
>>1524811
My certification test included knowing how to use Navy dive tables, is there computer really that important when I can do it by hand?
>>
>>1524034
And how did you get a job with global?
>>
>>1525634
Not global.
Union companies up here pay 90/hr on average.
>>
>>1525089
fair enough bud, glad you remembered that.
the issue with dive tables is they assume that you spend that whole time at that depth.
Most recreational diving (above 18m or 60ft) is extremely safe, and you'd be hard pressed to blow your tables if you were in that area. coupled with a safety stop at the end of each dive and you're fine.

computers are portable, small, and will last you for years. no they're not imperative and if you hire regs they'll usually have one on there.

if you dive at and thing below 18m or 60ft, then you need a computer. You dont want to be fucking around with ascent rates or no deco. What do you do if you blow your tables under water, in 30m of water, because you chased a shark or got distracted?

anyway, a mask that fits you can take anywhere in the world. regs are your air delivery system and again, relatively portable. BCDs id buy last, I wouldnt really want to lug that around, im happy wearing anything, any size.

after mask and fins youre forking out a substantial cost on either computer or regs. sunnto zoop is also a real good entry level computer.
>>
>>1510223
I'm working on dive master right now and studying marine ecology and archeology for school
>>
>>1525782
I know haha Im just talking shit.
>>
What route should I go with a GoPro: hand-held, self-stick, or a mask mount?
>>
>>1526025
I have mine tethered to one of the straps of my BCD on a collapsable selfie stick so that when I want to film I can extend the stick and adjust the camera, but can drop it and swim if I need to without being afraid of losing it.
>>
>>1526025
I’m leaning towards a mask mount cause I like the idea of shooting POV video so when I watch it’’ll be like I can re-live my dive. Also, handsfree! But I’d have to buy a mask to mount it on, or get a head mount. Not sure how that’ll weigh/move in the water though.
>>
>>1512556
Nice.
>>1524731
Colder waters mean more expensive gear.

Question to Padi divers: is it true you don't dive recreationally beyond 30-40 meters (100-130 feet)?
>>
>>1527337
18m-40m is for "advanced" open water divers and even then PADI encourages people who want to dive to 40m take deep diver course
>>
>>1527385
Alright. Are there some dives between 40-60m (130-200ft)? I was told these were forbidden with air (which seems strange because it is not an issue with CMAS).
>>
>>1510223
Possibly...
>>
I'm an inspector on construction sites and an okay swimmer

I like to get certs so I can make more moneys

diving sounds cool and I'm in very good shape but is it worth it? Could I just get certs and do side work or how does this industry work? What to expect when it comes to physical and mental extremes?
>>
>>1527810
Id say research the commercial diving industry and commercial diving schools. If you have a degree maybe engineer diving would be up your alley. It varies wildly. Its not really a side work or even free lance deal anymore. Also 90% of it (in amerikkka) pays total shit.
>>
>>1527497
Dunno much about it, never been deeper than that but your no decompression time (padi table) and air (unless you bring more than one tank) would run out quite quickly 40m+ plus narcosis, most recreational divers don't bother with going over no deco and having to spend time decompressing or using gas mixes other than air
>>
>>1527927
Not worth it, gotcha. Shame. I love a good challenge.
>>
I went diving for the first time yesterday in Cancun and found it to be kinda overwhelming. They threw me in a hotel pool for 30 minutes to learn basic procedures related to clearing my goggles and recovering my regulator and shit like that. Then we take a 20 minute boat ride out to the reef and at that point it all was a little overwhelming

Had to fall backwards into the water which freaked me out because it took me like 5 seconds to pop back up to the surface (probably shorter, but it felt longer). So that sucked

Then I had never breathed on a full tank (hotel pool tank was nearly empty) so each breath I took was much higher pressure and made it hard for me to get into the same rhythm as before

Then finally it was kinda choppy at the surface and felt weird going down with my ears popping and all this open space around me and shit.

I calmed down a lot once we got to the bottom and started looking at fish. Still they yanked me out early cause I went through my tank in 31 minutes while the rest of the crew continues to dive for another 15 minutes

Overall just typical bitch shit. Will definitely try it again and I’m sure it’ll be much better the second time. Learned a lot for only $100
>>
>>1519693
You don’t need to know how to swim to scuba dive.
>>
>>1528255
>Had to fall backwards into the water
B-but it's kinda cool.
>>
>>1526062
It’s absolute shit mate, you’re gonna feel that drag on your mask and you’ll lose all sense of being aquadynamic.
>>
>>1529575
Don't pretend you didn't scare the first time.
>>
>>1529626
Maybe just a little.
It was my 2nd open sea dive overall, 1st from a boat, so when our former specnaz diving master Evgeniy told us how we should entry, we had no other options than just trust him and do what he said.
>>
>>1529655
Go full spetznatz and do a negative entry
>>
>>1529623
Was talking with someone at the local dive shop Friday, they recommended if you want to go hands-free, mounting the camera on your vest. Sounds great for scuba, not sure about doing that freediving.
>>
>>1528255
dude dont worry about it i bugged out so hard the first time i went past 20 feet in ocean. hyperventilated the whole shit the instructor literally had to put his hand on my shoulder. and tell me breath. ripped through my oxygen and zeroed the tank while everyone was finishing above 300 PSI. eventually i caught my barrings, got my padi (the following day of dives) and saw some amazing wrecks and sharks. when i got back to the resort after the first day of dives someone was asking me about the dive and goes "oh i heard some guy really panicked and they had to drag him underwater" i could only laugh and admit it was me.
>>
>>1529706
Jokes aside, but I already had some insane delta force night dive from zodiac, when you and your mates all in black suits and scubas sit on the sides, and our divemaster on the bow flashes his powerful divelight left and right to find a good spot.
This was crazy. Lovecraftian. The sea at the night is something completely diferent. Descending alone to 25 meters and turning the light off is the one of the greatest experiences I ever had in my miserable life
>>
>>1530249
>Descending alone to 25 meters and turning the light off
I have done 100+ dives and I am still not ready for this. It does look too much like death.
>>
>>1530508
The squids and plancton glow green, surreal af
>>
Cert. Master Diver....30 years
State Rescue and Recovery Diver....3 years
>>
Got certified but only did 15 or so open water dives off the coast of California/Catalina Island. Went once in Hawaiian waters as well. My grandfather is a divemaster so he had all the gear, but I was a little shit and didn't stick with it.
>>
Just did some diving in Hawaii. Pic related.
>>
>>1532102
One more pic from the same dive
>>
>>1532102
What island / dive site is this? Making plans to visit Hawaii myself within a year.
>>
>>1532221
Sharks cove on the north shore of oahu.
>>
Anyone got any recommendations on newbie gear for scuba?
>>
>>1534225
got some tips, get fin straps that dont require tightening in the water, spring or elastic, the less fucking around getting them on and off the better, get split fins if you get sore ankles otherwise just get a regular fin, get nice boots, otherwise your feet get sores, if you plan on a lot of shore diving

make sure your main regulator hose is long enough for you to turn your head ect, get either a milflex or rubber hose with a swivel on the reg, feeling like your reg wants to leave is not enjoyable

tips on expensive stuff

only really useful thing about air integrated computers is the audible alarms for turn and end pressures so you dont exceed limits and have less air than you planned on having, air time remaining is rather useless because it cant anticipate physical activity, digital compasses are meh, you can tilt them more to almost 90 degrees is their only benefit

BCDs with integrated weights are nice, its nicer for walking and trim underwater, if you find your weight belt constantly slides down go for one of these

Oh and try and get a noise maker that fits to your inflator hose, means you dont have to go chase people who are swimming off or go and get them to show them something youve seen, cuts down on air consumption despite it using air to make noise
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (135 KB, 1280x720)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>1534225
Youtube is your friend, search Alec Peirce Scuba.
>>
>>1534336
>a noise maker
Or you can just knock on your tank with your knife
>>1534225
About masks. Get one that fits best, dont look at the price tag.
Dont waste your money on the expensive knives either. Eventually, you'll lose it.
>>
>talked to an old scuba diver
>he has been diving since the 50s
>his first gear was a converted air force breather as his regulator and some old C02 fire extinguishers filled with air
God damn that dude had balls.
>>
>>1535409
There's a teen on Youtube who got an old fire extinguisher attached a regulator to it and filled it with 500psi and then breathed the bottle, I hope he's doing ok.
>>
Did the /kommando with the surplus Russian rebreather survive?
>>
>>1529922
for freediving just get a mouth mount.
>>
>>1535409
Old diving is best diving. These guys were insane and didn't even know it. Cousteau biography mentions 70m (230ft) air dives in the red sea in the first years like it was nothing.
Also this blog is full of old crazy diving stories (former comex guy)
http://papyone.over-blog.com/
>>
Stop with this bullshit of I go to Cambodia Thailand and SEA for diving just admit you want to fuck hookers and do drugs.
>>
>>1510223

>Inb4 Reuben is up for this SCUBA
>>
>>1536553
That was the first ever /k/ thread I’d ever been on.
Fucking mad, mad Aussie lad.
>>
>>1536553
>>1538397
wtf, anyone have a screencap of that?
>>
>>1537738
Elon posts here

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.