[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

#274- “Affleck” Edition

Previous Thread:
>>1502813

Thinking about picking up a new hobby? Want to get a memecaster? Haven't mastered the Palomar knot? Click here!
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

Talk about fishin
>>
I haven’t gotten a line wet in like a year
>>
>>1506659
This is right near Echo Bridge, Massfriend. In my experience when the water warms up inline spinners produce tons of crappie and perch here.
>>1496695
>>1497055
>>
>>1506672
I used to work right by there. I'll check it out.
>>
>>1506663
>I am going to cover my bikini bottom with shorts of the same size.
Good danm female logic.

>>1506666
It has been to few and to far between for me. After losing my job I just could not afford the gas for fishing trips. Now that I am working again I have been saving up for a new thermal scope. But with the weather getting better going to try to make a few trips a month at least.
>>
>>1506686
>expecting logic from an average woman
There's your problem. Women are generally unwilling to apply reason to anything.
>>
How old is this fucking thread?
>>
>>1506686
>>1506688
She's trying to look sexy without her camel toe/pubes/spotting showing. It's not that hard to understand.
>>
>>1506666
>tfw this was 6 months ago

I’m dropping my hoop nets tomorrow and then spending the rest of the day applying for a new job, I swear to god.
>>
>>1506699
Sexy yes you ok, u sexy not, you ok, you sexy maybe you slut get raped.

Sexy yes or sexy no, there is no try.
>>
I just visited a couple fishing stores on my way home from school and every single one of them had the same basic bitch selection of GENERIC SHIT. What's the point of fishing stores if they don't stock stuff you can't find and walmarts and sporting stores? So fucking generic, if I had a fishing store it'd be the most bad ass shit ever and it'd have stuff you didn't even know existed but would pay out the ass to have.

Why do all fishing places stock insane amounts of DOUGH BAIT, holy shit. it's not even that good. Not a single place sold berkley gulp alive ANYTHING. ironically only walmart sold gulp 1" minnows.
>>
>>1506708
Keeping a large inventory at a brick and mortar store is expensive, and making a wholesale order from a manufacturer is a risk and an investment they can't afford to take risks on niche items when they're already getting outpriced by amazon
>>
>>1506705
Let me put it in terms you'd understand. You know how you keep your shirt on in the pool, because you don't want people to see your fat gut and tits? That's kind of why she's wearing short shorts over her bikini, she doesn't want something to show. Do you understand now?
>>
>>1506715
rock the bitch tits, or stay out of the pool, shirt stay dry.
>>
I'm just getting into fly fishing and I got my line wet for the first time yesterday trying to chase some stocker trout. I caught a couple of chubs, but the trout didnt seem very interested in my flies. The few trout that did check out my flies didnt go for it, except for one, but I lost him. I was hoping it was just a slow day, but I switched to a spinner and caught two straight away. I lost like 4 flies because I kept getting caught in brush and popping them off, but its whatever. If I stick at it long enough, I'm bound to get good on accident some day, maybe.
>>
>>1506734
There could be a few reasons for that.

Wrong fly
Leader too thick. I've swen spooky fish swim around 4lb fluro but hit on 2lb whit the same fly
>>
>>1506734
Add some variation to your fly selection and retrieval. Were you nymphing? Also, a good way to practice is to fish for a variety of species. Smallmouth are bountiful in most of the US I'm pretty sure and they are a classic warm water species to catch on fly. Panfish will give you good practice too. Just keep trying, once you do hook one you'll be obsessed.
>>
Alright lads, what's a good poorfag baitcaster for babby's first?
>>
>>1506764
Shimano slx
Daiwa fuego
>>
>>1506769
To add to that
Shimano slx if you like centrifugal brake
Daiwa fuego if you like magnetic brake
Look it up and see what that means and make your pick
>>
File: IMG_20180324_184928.jpg (1.34 MB, 2592x1944)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
>>1506666
you should do something about that
>>1506022
stick to streamers until things calm down
>>1506118
have fun with that.
>>1506160
i usually have my best luck at night. hang a lantern near the water, leave it for a while, then throw to the very edge of it's light
>>1506285
more of a creek than anything but i'd fish it.
>>1506734
how long ago were they stocked? if it was less than 6 months, throw something offensive. a brightly coloured krystal bugger, a cigarette butt glued to a hook, big egg flies, just put something big and obnoxious in front of them. if it is more than 6 months, go small. really small. #16-#22 small.
>>1506764
abu garcia silver max
>>
>>1506764

I went with a left handed retrieve curado cu-201 since I cast right handed. It was pretty forgiving for a noob level baitcaster. The main difference I noticed was that I was able to feel what was happening with the lure better and as a result get better hooksets.

They're not as expensive now
https://www.ebay.com/p/Shimano-Bantam-Curado-CU-201-Left-Handed-5-Bearings-Baitcasting-Reel/1101042277
>>
>>1506775
I don’t think there’s any point getting a silver max when you can spend $20 more and get a daiwa fuego ct so you get a better reel with aluminum frame instead of graphite. At least I assume that amazon seller is legit. If you get it, just make sure it matches with the picture as the black and red ct. i’ve seen amazon seller being scummy and sell an older gen of the same item name.
>>
File: 00000000.jpg (115 KB, 779x960)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>1506734
try a mop fly. stockers love them.
>>
>>1506807
+1 for mop fly
>>
>>1506213
>Commiefornia
Vermont, actually, but it's fast becoming the same thing. The lead ban here has been in place for over a decade now, but it only gets more frustrating with each passing year as no great substitute emerges, and the only halfway decent one (bismuth) has seemingly disappeared. It doesn't help that I was seeing more loons before than ban than I have since.

>>1506427
>Tungsten is the way to go.
I haven't seen any of the tungsten ones that are as small as #8 lead, and that's what I'm really missing.

>>1506536
1/2 oz. here. And jig heads are specifically exempt at least, unlike New Hampshire. Lead-core line is also still legal.

>>1506561
>I've rarely even seen a fish and game warden much less had my sinkers checked
I've never had them actually physically handle the line myself (just license checks), but they will make you reel in, and they might look closer if they noticed something other than shiny tin. Probably more likely to encounter them boat fishing than on the banks of smaller streams (which is where small split shot would help more, anyway), but you just never know. Game wardens are just like regular cops in that they are hardly ever around when you want one, and always seem to turn up when you most don't.
>>
>>1506824
>Vermont, actually, but it's fast becoming the same thing.
Where have you been for the last 30+ years?
>>
>>1506829
>30+
25, really. The real shift started in the mid '90s.

And it feels like its accelerated within the past decade. The gun thing last year would have cost any previous governor his job.
>>
Is it generally safe to cook and eat fish you catch in wild streams or lakes or other bodies of water? I used to fish a lot in this pond in my parents' backyard but apparently there's a bunch of chemicals leeching into the water from surrounding golf courses, some dude ate a fish he caught and was hospitalized. Wondering if there's a way to tell if it's safe to eat fish caught in the wild.
>>
>>1506807
>>1506810
It's funny that you say that, because the only one that actually bit went for a mop fly, but I didn't get the slack out of my line fast enough and he got off.
>>
>>1506905
Your state probably keeps a list of where the fish are not safe to eat somewhere online or in your fishing guide, but they might not keep tabs on smaller bodies of water so it might not help you if your wondering about a smaller pond or creek.
>>
>>1506905
Everything is gonna kill you, anon. Eat the tasty fish and don't worry about it.
>>
>>1506807
>>1506810
>started tying a month or so ago
>check out mop fly
>purists hate it
>easy to make
>destroys fish
Time to get kicked out of the fly shop.
>>
What's the best way of getting water temp of small lakes that are unlikely to have fishing reports? Or what temp would you think a body of water from 10-30 acres large would be if air temps have been around a low of mid 30s and high of 50-60 for a couple of weeks?
>>
>>1506986
>What's the best way of getting water temp of small lakes that are unlikely to have fishing reports?
Taking a thermometer?
>>
>>1507011
Some of them are close to an hour away I don't really want to make the drive just to check if it's too cold yet
>>
>>1507011
>>1507022
And just to add, I'm really just looking for approximations
>>
Whats the best fishing rod/starter kit for someone who wants to get into the hobby dosent want to spend a lot of money.
>>
>>1507032
Get a medium, fast action rod from any of the reputable brands (Berkeley lightning or ugly stik will do) and a cheapo reel, once again from any of the bigger brands (pfleuger, Shimano, daiwa, okuma etc.) They all have decent options around the 30 buck spot. And you'll be set for any species a beginner will reasonably encounter.
>>
I'm going out fishing for rainbow trout tomorrow but it's not gonna be the nicest weather (just above freezing) and its gonna probably be snowing. How active are rainbow when the weather is like that? Is it even worth going out?
>>
>>1507056
Is it a spring fed creek? Does it stay unfrozen all year round? Is there snow melt runoff flowing into it? If it stays unfrozen all year and the water level isn't too high you could probably find some in deep holes just after bends.
>>
>>1507060
I'm not sure to be honest. It's my first time going there and my first time fishing in close to 15 years.
>>
>>1507056
Trout are a cold water fish, so if I understand correctly they can be caught year round.
>>
since this is a new thread, I'd like to tell a story about the 1st of may

I went out for little fish, you know, perch, trout or sunfish. I just wanted to catch something.

well I went to a new pond. small, 77 acres. threw a spinner for 20 minutes. nothing. switched to a tiny jig. nothing. figured "fuck it" and threw a squarebill in. not too big, but decent size. kind of a perch/bluegill color. figured all the fish were in the deep, and as I was bank fishing, guessed I wouldn't get any bites (water's still like 40 something degrees here)

well, second cast of the squarebill, on six pound mono, mind you, I had a fish. not just any fish. a big fish. biggest I'd ever hooked in my life. I just barely managed to land it. it was a 16" largemouth bass. male, probably 3 pounds.

>fuck
>it's bleeding pretty bad
>treble hooked the gills

I hadn't intended to keep it, but it's big enough to feed 3 people so why not.

I figured it was a freak accident. I retied the squarebill and casted again. immediately a much larger, fatter probably female bass grabs the thing. I try to haul it over to the landing but it snaps my line and heads off with my only squarebill. shit. I adjust my drag and switch to a rattletrap. nothing. try a diving lure. nothing. switch to a deeper diving lure in perch pattern, fish it slow to keep it off the bottom. nothing. try a smelt color jerkbait. nothing. popper. nothing. texas rig lizard. nothing.
figure I might as well give up but slap on the perch deep diver for kicks. another bass grabs it. couldn't tell how big it was. my drag still wasn't loose enough. maybe 5 seconds into the fight it snapped the line and made off with my berkeley.
I'm going back tomorrow. I'm gonna bring 15 and 10 lb line with an arsenal of squarebills and divers. I'm gonna get my fucking lures back. and I'm bringing a canoe.

and that, my friends, is how the biggest fish of my life was the smallest of the day.
>>
>>1506905
Not living in a third world toxic shithole would be nice, wouldn't it?
>>
Anybody have a good dragonfly pattern that they can share? The bass and panfish in the ponds out here are devouring dragonflies.
>>
>>1507032
I used a rod I bought at goodwill for $5 in >>1507114 and a shimano 1 bearing 2500for $12 at a discount store

used $3 line and a squarebill I bought in a 3 pack for $10

overall $30 total

I should not have used 6lb line in a pond with huge bass. cheap line is fine but make sure it matches your lure and the fish in the pond. for the love of pete keep your drag low and tighten as you go

and get a net for the huge fish. they can go for less than $10 if you shop around. bring pliers to get out hooks ($4) and a bottle of sprite to stop them from bleeding out if you hook their gills or something
>>
>>1507032
String and stick
>>
>>1506905
I'd avoid keeping and eating fish out of golf course ponds, swamps, or ponds, streams, and rivers in urban areas. I mostly fish catch and release period but beyond that use your best judgement. Bigger lakes, rivers, and estuaries are generally okay and I'll usually keep fish that I catch off an ocean pier unless it's a trash fish.
>>
File: damselflytop.jpg (2.46 MB, 2592x1944)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB JPG
>>1507180
closest i have is a kinda shitty damsel fly
>pic
>>
>>1507202
>for the love of pete keep your drag low and tighten as you go
I need to train myself to do this. I learned to set the drag so tight that you can just barely make it give if you tug on the line. Now I've learned that this was a practice from back in the day when most reels had shitty drags and no one relied on them (if a fish ran, you'd flip the anti-reverse off and let it back reel instead of using the drag). IIRC, now the rule of thumb is to set it to around 1/4 of the test strength of the line.

>>1507303
I live out in the country where most waters are pretty safe to eat the fish out of, however, there's one section of creek a few miles from me which the state annually stocks with trophy brown trout, but what most people don't know is that there's a municipal sewer overflow just upstream which (because of a combined storm and sanitary sewer) dumps raw sewage into the creek every time it rains heavily.
>>
>tfw finally get to go fishing with friends tomorrow
no idea what body of water we're going to but I think I'm gonna pick up an ultra light in the morning because autistic asian fishing man on youtube seems to have a lot of fun fishing for everything under the sun.
>>
>>1507303
yeah I generally don't eat anything near any kind of industry, farm or road, but I also live in a state that gets enough funding to wildlife/parks and rec to do tests and shit that generally know where it's ok and not ok to fish/eat. But you're still probably ok even if you eat a polluted fish every once in a blue moon as long as you live in a developed country.
>>
>>1507114
>keeping bass out of season
>using 6lb line with crankbaits
>16 inch largemouth is the biggest fish of your life
>>
>>1507322
>bass
>season
Lmaoing at your life rn
>>
>>1507311
these days cheaper reels won't even have anti reverse switches. I have a 4000 abu garcia without one
>>
>>1507322
umm yeah I haven't been fishing since like 1998
annd open water fishing is year round here and there's no size limit on bass

so fuck you you retarded piece of shit
>>
>>1507322
>everyone everywhere is subject to the same laws as me, no exceptions
>>
>>1507325
>he eats largemouth bass
Oof

>>1507327
Please get good I’m begging
>>
>>1507336
>he eats largemouth bass
ItAintMe.mp3
>>
>>1507336
K. I'll come back with pictures tomorrow evening.
I'll timestamp them. howbout you pull a trip code out of your ass and try to match me, fuckwit?

and they might've been smallmouth I dunno they had the stripe down the middle not bars but kinda big mouths. tasted good. guess we'll find out tomorrow If I get more.
>>
>>1507338
I’ll be exploring some new water trying for some native brook trout tomorrow. Just finished tying a batch of new wet flies I want to try out

>and they might've been smallmouth I dunno they had the stripe down the middle not bars but kinda big mouths. tasted good

You can’t make this shit up
>>
>>1507340
I never claimed to know what I'm doing. again, this is the first time I've caught a fish in over 20 years.
before that it was a 14" landlocked salmon in like 1998.

>fly fisherman
to each their own
>>
>>1507340
also brookies are easy, so I've heard. catch a brown trout and I'll be impressed.
>>
>>1507338
>>1507347
>>1507348
Where do you live? I need to make sure I never drink whatever aspie juice they're putting in the water there
>>
>>1507348
I catch browns literaly all year long. They are the most prevelent trout species in my state by far. This one was from two weeks ago.

Native brook trout around here are a rare resource limited to tiny streams that are never stocked. Yes, they will be more aggressive compared to browns or rainbows but they are much easier to spook and given the inherent nature of tiny streams it can be extremely difficult to properly present a fly. Especially if the vegetation is dense.
>>
>>1507351
nunyaville. it's OK we don't want you.
>>
>>1507352
k
>>
>>1507356
t.
>>
File: Untitled1.png (789 KB, 1920x1080)
789 KB
789 KB PNG
>>1507352
also I was gonna comment on how girly and pasty your hands were (if those are indeed your hands), but I figured it wasn't worth the effort, until now.
>>
>>1507357
every state is different. browns are hard to get in mine and brookies are harder in other places.
>>
>>1507359
How embarrassing. Your such a pathetic fisherman you have to try and insult my aesthticly pleasing hands to try and compensate. Sad. I’ll say it again, please get good I’m begging
>>
Got skunked today fellas, went to my favorite pike spot, tried everything under the sun & no bites :/ talked to some bass hunters at the dock, they haven't had a thing either. I might wait a week or two till the water warms up. I think my boat could use a foil though, ventilates at speed & turns.
>>
>>1507362
I already said I'd post pics of everything I get tomorrow ITT under this tripcode, what more do you want? a dick pic? I've said several times that I haven't been fishing in 20 years and that I had no claims to be good at it.

quit being so sensitive
and I hadn't planned on commenting but the google result just tickled me.

lemme guess, you grew up in the upper middle class, daddy bought your college (if not everything else) and you've never actually had to work for or start anything on your own in your entire life.
>>
>>1507366
I’m actually 6’3”, muscular, and good looking. Good try though. This trout was after the opener. Caught 5 that day.
>>
>>1507370
That's cool. sucks you're so sensitive about your physique though, which says nothing about your character other than that your'e insecure for some reason or another. hope you get over it.

see you tomorrow.
>>
File: IMG_20190503_123535.jpg (1.71 MB, 4032x3024)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB JPG
What the fuck is wrong with you people, go outside, fish and come post comfy pics.
>>
>>1507326
Actually, for modern reels, most spinning reels, even expensive ones, don't have it now for all brands.
Drag system has gotten so good that there's a bigger chance the anti-reverse switch fucking up than your drag fucking up. Many spinning reels also try to achieve water resistance / waterproof and the pesky switch is the worst culprit for letting water in and also hold debris and sands like nothing else. It's pain to take the switch mechanism apart during service and cleaning out the shit.
>>
>>1507377
I find it convenient for bringing the rig to a handlable level while I'm tying it or changing it
all my reels are dirt cheap anyway
>>
>>1507374
Why do alot of saltwater hardbaits not come with trebles?
>>
>>1507381
some places it's illegal to use treble hooks. I got some cheapie saltwater/muskie lures that came with inline hooks, and a lot of people prefer them because they're easier to remove and don't fuck up the fish as much so they install them themselves.
>>
>>1507381
Probably safety and ease of C&R. Big fish thrashing around with an extra 2 trebels swinging aroung is a danger and the same big fish could have taken 15 years to become a trophy breeding stock specimen so releasing it quickly is important.
>>
>>1507379
Yea it has its convenience and there are dedicated fans for the feature for back reeling as well (basically reverse reeling to act like a pseudo drag in case the drag fail).
However, so few people use the feature that company don't bother trying to bring in a design that make the switch waterproof like the rest of the reel. They would need to completely design the switch so that debris can't get stuck in there too and probably significantly clutter the inside of the reel even more as well.
>>
>>1507374
I'm going tomorrow
>>
>>1507326
Yeah, I've noticed that.

>>1507322
>16 inch largemouth is the biggest fish of your life
We can't all live in Florida. 16"/3 lbs. is a decent enough bass (though not a lunker by any means) in parts of the northeast.

>>1507377
Pflueger reels seem to still have them. I think maybe some Daiwas, too. Shimano was the first one to dump it, AFAIK.
>>
>>1507348
You can catch browns with bass lures. Its not hard.
>>
So, I'm looking for a new spinning rod and reel mostly for trout. I've kind of settled on a light power (not UL) Fenwick Eagle, and a Pflueger President, but I'm wavering between the 6' and 6'6" rod lengths and the 25 and 30 reel sizes. So I thought I'd ask /out/:

-Is the 6' rod long enough, or am I likely to find myself wanting that extra 6"? I have some forest streams with where even a short rod mostly requires resorting to pitching, bow-and-arrow casts, etc., but also other streams that are much more open, especially if I can wade.
-Is 2# mono for anything other than UL a meme? I worry about breaking off just in setting the hook and figure 4# is probably safer.
-Am I better off with a reel made for 4-8# so that I don't have to resort to braid in the cases where I might want 8#?
-Or is the larger reel, at 8.8 oz., going to be too heavy to balance properly on those rods (3.88 and 4.34 oz., respectively)? I tend to expect it's too heavy for the 6' anyway, but maybe not the 6'6".
-Another consideration is that the larger reel would also be a decent match for my current 7' medium power rod (a Field and Stream model from Dicks). I've got an el-cheapo Diawa 3500 size reel on it that came in some combo (I broke the rod it came with years ago), but it's been stored in a basement for a couple of years and needs some rehab. I was thinking of maybe just buying the reel now and making do with the heavier rod until I afford something like a Fenwick HMG or St. Croix Triumph.
>>
>>1507439
Longer the rod you feel you can get away with using the better. I use a 7’6” ul st croix trout rod with a stradic ci4+ 1000. 2# is a meme just stick with 4 you will be fine. I feel like you are looking at way too big of reels. Especially since the presidents are already heavy as shit, getting a size bigger than you need isn’t doing you any favors
>>
Any tips on bass fishing a man made pond? It's only about 100 yards across, but 20 feet deep at the center. Most of the access points are covered with algae, but over the last week I've seen a few 2-3 pounders and one 5+ pounder. All the bass I've seen + a few 6 inchers caught on crankbaits have been in a relatively clear spot on a small dock along the edge of the pond over about 6ft of water.
>>
>>1507032
Quantum snapshot on a medium rod, I can hand that to anybody including little kids and everyone loves it. It's snoopy pole easy with a big boy rod.
>>
>>1507460
sounds like you pretty much got it bub. I'd say keep at it with patience.
>>
File: IMG_20190414_155956_014.jpg (170 KB, 1080x1080)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
>>1507322
Assuming it was out of season, it sucks that it would be illegal to keep it. I mean I i know why its good to have that law, but I hate letting a fish I know might die go when I could at least make sure its utilized. That being said a 3 lb fish is a decent fish in the north. My PB is probably around 4 or 5 and I fish a lot here.
>>1507374
Based
>>1507392
Stocked trout of any kind can be caught on anything that moves or looks puffy and brown. Wild browns and rainbows are smarter than your average stocker and follow more of a match the hatch type of approach. Brook trout, at least where I live are only in tiny tiny backwater streams where there is enough old growth to sustain them. Casting those is near impossible with a conventional fly rod. That being said a good cast with low profile tippet can bring most brookies in the net. I can't speak for big river ones out west. I'd say among the true trout species, wild or stocked makes a bigger difference than brown or rainbow. Brown are only more prevalent because they can tolerate warm water better. Since there is no old growth to shade the small streams, only browns can live in most waters where farming ever occurred since the 1880s.
>>
>>1507457
>Longer the rod you feel you can get away with using the better. I use a 7’6” ul st croix trout rod
One of the reasons I might wait on the rod is that Fenwick offers the HMG 7'6" in light.

>I feel like you are looking at way too big of reels. Especially since the presidents are already heavy as shit
Yeah, I've had that suspicion, too a bit, but then I've always felt like that cheap Daiwa I have (I was wrong above, BTW, it's a 2500, not a 3500) feels too light compared to the ones that I used as a kid, when they were still made of actual metal. Also, if 2# is a meme, I kind of feel like it's a waste to buy a reel that made for 2-6# and not 4-8#, especially when the rod can handle 8# (I mean, I know the 20 and 25 size Pfluegers can accommodate 8# braid, but that's braid).

I looked at the Pflueger Supremes as well, which are a good bit lighter than the Presidents because magnesium, and which boast a faster retrieval rate, but a lot of people have questioned the build quality and seem to think they aren't durable, and of course they cost like $40 more. I could also go with the President XT, which is about an ounce lighter for $10 more, or Summit XT, which is also an ounce lighter for the same price as the President (but it's a Cabela's exclusive, which has its downsides, like lack of replacement parts). I also looked at the Daiwa Exceler LT 1000D (roughly equivalent to President XT 30 but 1.2 oz. lighter: the trade off there is fewer bearings). The lower-end Shimanos look to mostly be even heavier than the Presidents and sport even fewer bearing than the Daiwas.

I dunno. I should probably drag my ass into Dick's (we don't have a Cabela's or Bass Pro within 2 hours drive) and see if they have anything in stock that I can handle and get a feel for. Tried Walmart, but they are terrible here at carrying light/UL rods and reels (despite offering lots of light lures that cast like shit on a medium). IIRC, the only size they had the President in was 35 or 40.
>>
>>1507478
I'm only thinking of one river. There's huge browns mixed with regular size rainbow/browns, steelhead, sometimes lake yrout, salmon, and big walleye. Browns are easy to catch, but I'm not sure if its because they're stocked or because of all the competition
>>
>>1507485
Bruh you are looking at sub $100 reels
You are thinking too hard about this
Bearing count don’t matter for reel at that price range. Just get a reel in size 1000 or 2000. You don’t need full stainless steel reel for UL. You are fishing freshwater and don’t even need about water resistance and corrosion resistance. Just get the one that’s on sale. Also, you might not want to fish #8 on an ultra light because you’ll be throwing ultra light lure and your distance will be absolute ass.
>>
File: Rod1.jpg (2.25 MB, 3264x2448)
2.25 MB
2.25 MB JPG
>>1506663

Big Brown I caught today
>>
>>1507500

Barbless as well
>>
>>1507498
>You are thinking too hard about this
Probably so.

>Also, you might not want to fish #8 on an ultra light
True enough, if I were looking at UL, but I'm looking at light, not ultra. In most of the places around here where a lure smaller than 1/16 oz. would be particularly useful, conventional casting is nigh impossible, so that I'm mostly just pitching upstream, anyway. Meanwhile, while I don't think I'll need 8# in most streams, there are at least some trout waters around (especially the ones where big browns tend to lurk) where I might get into something other than trout (e.g., carp, bass, walleye, bowfin) which might test 6# mono.
>>
File: frumshow.jpg (162 KB, 960x720)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
>>1507374
KeK.....them big ass split rings tho'

>>1507381
trebles cause more damage and with a single hook you get deeper hook penetration. the downside is that you may miss a few fish. lot of freshwater lures use them.
>>
File: togo.jpg (43 KB, 689x460)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>1507500
beautiful picture brother. is it taken with a phone?
>>
File: 20190501_144413.jpg (1.83 MB, 3264x1836)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB JPG
Water snake tried to eat a blue cat on my stringer the other day. Was pretty cool.
>>
>>1506775
Maribou guy from thread before last, sadly haven't gotten to get back /out/ again.

How would you even thread a line into something that small?
>>
>>1507508
Well you can settle for #6 or something I guess. You aren’t going to constantly swap out line on a whim with just one reel. So you can pick reel based on that.
>>
Anons, what is your favorite soft bait company and why?

Personally I like Netbait because I don’t use too many plastics other than worms, craws, and swimbaits, and I like the buoyancy of the pork fat.
>>
>>1506696
What do you mean? Like the first one? I think towards the end of 2015
>>
>>1507352
I have the exact opposite experience with brook trout. Found one of the very few streams with brook trout i Norway, and thought I'd never catch anything as it was a tiny slow flowing stream in thick woods. Would never have been able to catch brown trout here. The brook trout basically just hit on anything, basically bare hooks. Same fish tried to take my bait several times, being lifted out of the water, with me in plain sight.
>>
>>1507648
DOA and Egret for saltwater. Everything eats an Egret Wedgetail or a DOA paddletail or CAL shad.

For freshwater I'll say Yum cuz of price and cuz the crawbug is my favorite finesse jig trailer.
>>
Do you guys think that air pressure has big influence on how fish bite? I heard conflicting opinions and would like to know yours, guys.

My impression is that especially low and descending air pressure has a negative influence on fish, especially predatory fish, while steady air pressure for a few days can lead to them biting more often.
>>
>>1507667
The way I see it the smaller the stream the more like that they will be. On the tiniest of streams here they will behave like that as well. Probably due to how few opportunities they get to find a good meal so when one is presented they don’t waste the opportunity.

Tried like hell to catch somthing today with the water being as high as it was but only managed to hook one.
>>
>>1507536
I'm glad you know it's a water snake and didn't kill it. 99% of people here think everything is a cottonmouth and kill it
>>
>>1507536
>>1507908
I honestly don't know the difference. The last time I was around either, I was maybe six years old. However, I started fishing last year, and I'm now very familiar with what a copperhead is. Those fuckers swim, too.
>>
File: 20190501_144358.jpg (1.64 MB, 3264x1836)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB JPG
>>1507908
Thanks anon. I dont kill harmless snakes. It was a nonvenmous diamondback water snake. I got it to turn my fish loose and it swam away. The fish fried up nice.
>>
>>1507648
Bass assassins.
>>
File: 20180327_203337.jpg (2.4 MB, 3264x2448)
2.4 MB
2.4 MB JPG
>>1507648
Bass Assasin Sea Shad 4in. They are a softer plastic than many paddle tails and I like that because they'll just fold up and go in a fish's mouth. I believe sometimes stiffer plastics get hit and bounce off the side of a fish's mouth, certainly with smaller fish. I've been using bass assasin sea shad in various colors for years in saltwater. Used a lot of diff jig heads too. Red jig heads and chaetruese sea shad 4in seem to work best inshore saltwater on trout and redfish.
>>
File: 20170809_205629.jpg (2.25 MB, 3264x2448)
2.25 MB
2.25 MB JPG
>>1507648
>>
File: 20170815_042323.jpg (2.91 MB, 3264x2448)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB JPG
>>1507648
I do really well with those bass assasin sea shad 4in
>>
>>1507946
I saw a copperhead while fishing last Wednesday. I was wearing shorts and sandals because I wanted to wade a little and I'm too much of a jew to buy waders, and I saw it swimming from a spot on the bank I was just fishing from. I must have walked right by him. Snakes are bros 99% of the time as long as you're not a retard and try to pick one up.
>>
Can anyone tell me if this is realistic
>Fly to any big trout state like Montana, or Wyoming
>rent a car and drive out to nowhere and cast inline spinners into streams
>catch fish and have fun

Is this possible
>>
>>1508041

Access to streams can be a bitch anywhere thanks for access issues and crazy people who think navigable waterways are part of their property. For a sparsely populated state like WY or MT it’s more possible than other states tho
>>
>>1508046
>crazy people who think navigable waterways are part of their property
As well as a pretty widespread disagreement over what qualifies as "navigable."
>>
File: 20190504_185524.jpg (2.92 MB, 3226x2420)
2.92 MB
2.92 MB JPG
Evening sesh tonight, caught another legal spot
>>
File: 20190504_185546.jpg (2.95 MB, 4032x3024)
2.95 MB
2.95 MB JPG
>>1508049
>>
>>1508048

When I was a poorfag I dreamed sometimes of taking someone to court over this. Now that I can pay a retainer I can also afford a boat. Funny how it works
>>
>>1508051
I'm lucky enough to live in a state with a lot of publicly-owned land, a lot of utility-owned land that allows public access, and fairly permissive laws regarding what actually constitutes trespassing on top of that, but we still have some assholes who post massive tracts of prime habitat against hunting and fishing just because they can. The worst ones are the ones who don't even properly comply with the requirements for posting (such as having signs too far apart or absent entirely except on the side facing the road and not registering with the town and paying the $5 annual fee), but think it's still enforceable.
>>
File: shirt.jpg (105 KB, 641x724)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
thoughts on fishing shirts?
Worth it or just a meme?
Looking at some and quite like the 50 spf UV sun protection
>>
>>1508106
I think so. Any dry fit moisture wicking shirt would work. If it’s cold and you are wearing more than 2 or more layer, it wouldn’t matter. Expensive shirt are just for comfort in hot weather while still having sun protection. I personally has a columbia pfg and is happy with it. I never buy really expensive stuffs like huk so idk there’s a difference
>>
>>1508108
I mean it is a bit of a meme but just a similiar material would do as good of a job
>>
how to target channel cat when the creek/canal is also full of bullhead? I keep using larger and larger hooks and pieces of cut bait and they just jam it in their mouth anyway or start tearing it apart making my line go crazy. Ive caught one channel cat so I know they are in there, is it just luck? Try fast moving water?
>>
>>1508143
Try a mouse?
>>
>>1508143
Try where fast shallow water drops off deeper and slows down. Channel cats like those spots. Try largest holes in general.
>>
File: lklklklkl.jpg (63 KB, 540x668)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>1507984
damn you loaded up, nica haul.
why do you keep the rays?
are you asian?
>>
>>1508309
Not that anon but supposedly the wings of stingrays and skates are pretty good eating.
>>
File: gf.jpg (90 KB, 960x720)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>1508106
if you fish in the tropics, they are necessary.

couple years ago fishing in the yucatan. arms hands and neck got burned up, had to cancel on my guide the next day. came back the next year with uv shirts, sombreros, buffs and gloves and fished 5 days straight no problem. they work wonders.
>>
File: dggd.jpg (149 KB, 960x720)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>1508316
on bigger ones they are okay eating. pita to fillet.. those are small and have barely any meat on them, more like shark bait is my guess
>>
>>1506663
do fish bite when it is raining?
>>
>>1508328

Most do. For Bass a little rain is good for spinners and too water bc they’re looking up at the surface. If it’s absolutely pissing down then they turn off
>>
File: 20190413_181420.jpg (713 KB, 3000x2250)
713 KB
713 KB JPG
>>1508049
>>1508050

Lol... so, I caught my PB spot on 4/13.
The runner up I caught just yesterday on 5/4

Guess what...
It's the same damn fish...
>>
File: 20190504_185546.jpg (599 KB, 3000x2250)
599 KB
599 KB JPG
>>1508456
>>
File: twinsies.jpg (34 KB, 363x249)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>1508459
>>
>>1508328
It depends on the rain. If the rain is warm then the bass go in a frenzy. You should be looking for areas where the rain is running off into the body of water you are fishing. This creates a area of warmer water that potential food is being washed into. Rain also disturbed the top of the water. By the phenomenon known as light refraction, along with the cloudy overcast, very little light is penetrating the water so everything becomes darker. This draws fish from their cover and makes flashy baits like Spinnerbait, and chatterbaits effective.

If the rains coming from a cooler place in the north however the sudden water chill will turn the fish off.
>>
>>1508471
This also applies to catfish. Every time I have caught a catfish if has been off a spinnerbait in skinny water during or directly after a rain. Those Channel cats will smash a spinner if you find the right conditions.
>>
>>1508321
>>1508108
>>1508106
I'm thinking of going the budget route, and getting some light or bright-colored synthetic workout shirts from Walmart for this. Fuck getting logos and shit for an extra $20+ for the same kind of fabric.

Last year I started wearing long-sleeve shirts I'd usually just use in the winter. My arms didn't burn once, and I'm grateful.

Also I wear a wide-brim hat and polarized glasses. Reflections off the water absolutely will burn your face, neck, and ears! I am considering a buff because of this, as well.
>>
>>1508471
>You should be looking for areas where the rain is running off into the body of water you are fishing.

Where I've started visiting lately, this becomes dangerous. I'm not saying you're wrong; you're not! It's just the structure of this particular lake.

The water would be coming in from a creek at one end, where it's very wide, shallow, and slow. There are shittons of snakes there. At the other end are the remains of the dam which was used to create that lake, though the generator has long been removed.

If those snakes weren't there, I'd paddle up that way to fish a lot more.
>>
>>1507372
Still waiting on those pics
>>
>>1508319
>light skinned
>spend a significant time in the sun without protection
>gets confused about getting burned
Son, please tell me you use sun screen.
>>
File: koofin.jpg (1.46 MB, 2576x1932)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB JPG
>>1508106
They're not *needed* but they definitely help. Lather up in Sunscreen and you're good to go.

Or if you're a lazy fuck like me, throw one of these shirts on and you're good to go. Bought pic related from amazon for like 25 bucks and they work really well. May seem counter-intuitive to wear a long sleeve shirt on a hot day but the fabric wicks really well and it's extremely light that it keeps you cool.

The main purpose of the shirt is to block UV rays which is definitely an issue because the UV rays bouncing off the water's surface fries you to a crisp without UV protection/sunscreen. Just like people getting sunburnt when snowboarding/skiing in freezing temps.

>>1508595
This too. If you're unsure about the shirt just pick up a cheap synthetic shirt from walmart. No need to spend 20 bucks on a shirt you don't know you will use or not.
>>
>>1506663
Here's a question for all you folks:
Tackle Bag or Box?
>>
>>1508627
tackle box and a backpack.
>>
>>1508627
Plano flats in a jansport
>>
File: plastic box.png (66 KB, 380x293)
66 KB
66 KB PNG
>>1508627
>>
>>1508635
This
>>
For the past three days I've been fishing with a frankenstein setup. cheapo Martin 8' 5/6wt fly fishing rod paired with frabill ice fishing reel loaded with 4lb PF-original copoly line.

I've been alternating between size 24 midge flies and gulp alive 1" minnows on trout magnet jigheads (my confidence bait). normally I just dap or flip for bluegill near the bank. I've also tried casting by pulling out a bunch of line, and casting normally. for casting the fly I just place a split shot a foot up from the dry fly. I'm surprised how well this works. only problem is if there's plants nearby, the line is so thin that it tangles up if you don't pay attention.

this works out at the urban lake I fish at because I don't need to worry about the people walking behind me when I cast. however, even the tiny .4g split shot makes a bit of a splash. Would like to try proper fly fishing but it's impossible in these places where I have no back room for fly casting.
>>
File: 11258560722.jpg (245 KB, 963x702)
245 KB
245 KB JPG
Pretty sure I fucked up but guess I'll ask here as this isn't worth opening a new thread for. Went to a yard sale today. Guy must have been a fisherman as he had literally suitcases full of unused bait and tons of rods. Sifted through 'em and this caught my eye. Bought it for $10

Now, I'm an absolute scrub when it comes to fishing as I've only fished about 5~ times my entire life so picking baits is literally me going "oh that looks cool", putting it on a hook and casting it out. Problem is, Mackerel are saltwater right? The only body of water within 100 miles from me is a single large lake where I mainly fish for bass and whatever else is in it. I assume a Bass has never even seen a Mackerel then. So if I were to use this Mackerel bait in a lake for bass, would bass even bite this?

Either way, it was only 10 bucks so it's not like I lost a huge investment. Just wondering whether its worth the effort in tieing it on my line or throwing it in the trash
>>
>>1508689
Bass would literally bite a dildo if you work it right. My point being that bass eat anything that swims or looks like prey. Those mackerel might have a specific pattern but chances are they have a generic fish swimming pattern in the water which the bass will hit regardless. I guess you could run into a problem if you fish highly pressured areas where the bass are super picky but that all depends on where you go
>>
>>1508689
You're fine. Bass don't care. If it looks like a meal they'll bite.

Knowing how to present something to realistically mimic a fish/worm/craw is way more important than what the lure looks like. If you have a pool (or a tub/sink), fill it with water, put the lure on a line and let it sink. You want to watch how fast it sinks, then pull on the line and see how fast or slow you need to pull to activate the motion of the tail so that it flutters back and forth like a fish swimming through the water. Do it over and over again until you get a feel of how to do it correctly and then try it at the lake using those same motions. Done correctly and you should be getting bites. Doesn't matter if it's a mackerel or a minnow, as long as you are presenting it correctly to trick the bass into thinking it's a meal, you'll get bites.

If nothing else, you at least saved 2 bucks off that bait.

https://www.rapala.com/storm/soft-baits/wildeye-live-series---saltwater/5-wildeye-live-mackerel/WLSMK05MCK.html
>>
>>1508689
Well, fish will oftentimes hit on stuff they've never seen before. That said, I don't know how big the bass run where you are, but those hooks are pretty big. Worth a try, though.
>>
>>1508689
Bass will eat anything. I'd be more concerned about UV and heat damage to the plastics in storage.
Pond near me got stocked on friday so I though I'd try my luck. No trout but I caught some bass and panfish and the #8 barbless inlines worked out fine. The pond must have accumulated a lot of silt it's even more of a mudhole than I remembered. The spots that were previously dropoffs are now muddy flats with pond scum drifting everywhere I feel bad for those stockies
>>
How do I catch something on the A T O M I C D O G B O N E?
>>
>>1508760
That's basically a crappie jig, isn't it?
>>
>>1508635
This is exactly what I carry.
>>
>>1508689
For $10? You overpaid a little, depending on your purpose. Storm discontinued some swim baits. I picked some up at Ollie's last year, and found out they're going on eBay for about $20 per pack. I paid $6; you paid about new retail. I'm thinking the guy knew what he had, and wanted to get back what he'd put into it.
>>
>>1508768
Crappie would hit it, but it seems small.

More of a bluegill / wild trout lure
>>
>>1508760
Light line. Very light. Vertical jigging, under a bobber, or hopping it. I've caught loads on their micro mite.

>>1508768
Smaller. Those are like 1/80th of an ounce, about a half inch long at best. I've caught a shitton of sunfish in a creek on similar, though.
>>
>>1508810
>Those are like 1/80th of an ounce, about a half inch long at best
The box is marked 3/4", 1/32 oz., is it not?
>>
>>1508810
>1/80th of an ounce
I mean it says 1/32oz right there lol
>>
>>1506663
>mfw all i do is stick a wax worm on a hook with a bobber and drink beer until it starts moving or i fall asleep
i should learn how to jig or something, at least
>>
>>1508809
I've caught crappie vertically jigging a sabiki rig. And sabiki rigs are basically just small flys. Crappie will hit tiny stuff. I've also had crappie smash a crankbait.
>>
File: 31827.png (20 KB, 629x728)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
Finally put out crawfish traps

1 got stolen already
>>
>>1507770
Yes. Fish will straight up disappear if the air pressure is too high
>>
>>1508899
why didn't you put pipe bombs in them?
>>
>>1508760
Looks a lot like an ice fishing jig. I'd cast it with the smallest bobber you have 8-12" above it and slowly twitch it back.
>>
File: IMG_1548.jpg (1.61 MB, 3264x2448)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB JPG
What's this?
>>
>>1508658
Learn to roll cast and you can fly cast anywhere. That's how you fly fish when you've got massive amounts of trees and brush around you.
>>
>>1508899
I've had probably 10 or so crab pots stolen from me. It's one of the reasons I stopped crabbing.
>>
>>1509055
It's a seabass
>>
>>1507536
that's some ambition right there
>>
>>1509055
Looks like a goldfish
>>
File: IMG_20190506_073314_692.jpg (123 KB, 929x1280)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
Went fishing with my step brother and I got pic related. The only fish that anyone got in the boat that day
>>
>>1508760
Put it under a small bobber, cast out, slowly retrieve
>>1508689
You overpaid by $9.99
>>1508627
Bag
>>
>>1508627
Bag + box
>>
>>1509107
Nice ditch pickle. Did you catch it on the fly?
>>
File: 20190506_135705.jpg (2.26 MB, 3264x2448)
2.26 MB
2.26 MB JPG
Gottem
>>
>>1507024
It really depends. Smaller and/or shallower lakes will heat up faster than deep and big lakes. Rivers usually match water temp with ground temp much closer than lakes do. North sides of lakes warm faster. My method of approximating water temp of places far away is just experience. I pick one body of water that is close by to use as a standard. If lake X is this temperature, usually at this time lake Y is warmer and Z is colder. Stuff like that. If you dont have local forums that's the best you can do because unless a bait shop on the water reports it (usually rarely updated or accurate anyway).
>>
>>1507497
Are you West or East Coast?
>>
Rate my cranks and jerkbaits folks.

>>1507500
Great catch anon. Nice setup too. >>1508048
In my understanding in my state, the water can't be owned, but the ground underneath the water is. So you're legally allowed to take a boat on a river in someone else's property, but you are technically trespassing if you drop anchor.
>>1508627
Bag unless you're gonna be on a boat. Put the little divider boxes in the bag. Get a bag made for fishing imo.
>>
>>1509211
No lucky craft, megabass or other jdm
0/10
>>
>>1509255
Actually 1/10 for the cool meme metal bill
>>
Just started a 3 week vacation

Going to do some camping and fishing at Lake Tahoe for a week

Should I go to any other big name southern california lakes?
>>
>>1509207
Midwest
>>
>>1509211
>in my state, the water can't be owned, but the ground underneath the water is
Yeah, mine too.

My understanding is federal statue and case law stipulates that the beds of all navigable waterbodies belong to the several states. The problem is that the mere fact that you can put a boat on it does not make it legally "navigable."

Some states (especially those which have or once had a Civil Law tradition) make it easy by extending that principle to all perennial streams. But in others, the issue you mention arises when the stream is argued to be non-navigable. The water itself still belongs to the state because it's not privately own-able, but the underlying ground is private. Even then, in some states (Utah, for one), the courts have held that any activities incident to boating (such as paddling or dropping anchor) on waters of the state, even if they involve incidental contact with a privately-owned streambed, are not actionable. OTOH, fishing (and shooting waterfowl) falls beyond the scope of "activities incident to boating."

In my state, it so happens that trespass is not actionable unless one is previously warned (either by properly erected "No Trespassing" signs or by direct communication). Furthermore, a hunter or angler is not liable for hunting or fishing on private property without permission unless the land is properly posted. You still have to leave the property if you are "warned off," but no action can be taken against you either by the landowner or by F&W. One of the biggest annoyances around here comes from landowners who post their land but improperly (signs too far apart or absent entirely on portions of the boundary, not bothering to register annually with the town and pay the $5 fee, etc.).
>>
>>1509256
Thanks, caught tons of pike on that including pic related from last season, it was 36-40" never measure it officially tho.
I've been hearing a lot about luckycraft. What are good models?
>>
>>1509272
Michigan? Like St. Claire river.
>>
>enjoy fishing because it gives me time to be alone and quiet.
>some cunt is hiking by, I don't even look at them
>ANY LUCK?
>respond with ANY LUCK SUCKING DICK?
>they don't know how to even react and keep walking
>every time
why do people do this?
>>
>>1509289
They wanna suck yours
>>
>>1509281
Idk it depends on what you are targetting. I guess the flash pointer is a basic for freshwater but I wouldn’t throw them at pike.
>>
>>1509284
Michigan, yes. Browns on Manistee will bite anything
>>
File: fsh.jpg (76 KB, 547x983)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
pond right behind my house, caught 4 of these little shits in like 15 minutes. First time fishing since I was a kid, and I enjoyed it. posted in the thread a few weeks ago. Thanks for the help, Fishing & Tackle Thread anons. just used a texas rig yesterday, but have a bunch of other lures I want to try soon (crankbait, spinner bait, and jerk bait I want to play with)
>>
File: 1538186078869.jpg (5 KB, 278x181)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>1506663
>>
>>1508816
Apparently I didn't read the box, and so yes: I was wrong.

But my own tale continues with those specs. I've found and used 1/80th jigs which are nearly identical. I've caught bream upward of 7 inches on them (not bad for that creek), and of course all sorts of smaller ones, too. Fished on really light tackle, that's a pretty good time.
>>
>>1509055
It's a snakehead.
>>
>>1509289
Because they wish they were fishing. Be kind to them they have it hard enough that they're too anxious to throw string into water.
>>
>>1509029
>>1509121
Thanks bros. One of many cheap meme baits I'll be out with all weekend on a canoe trip
>>
>>1509289
I ask what people are catching when I'm walking around because when I see people fishing in places I've never fished I want to fish there, and by asking, I can see what I can catch. I usually won't give out info about really good fishing, it's usually "yeah I got a couple little ones", but some people are so excited they'll tell me everything, and I've caught good fish in new places using that. So just say "nothing yet" or "a couple little ones" and when they ask what you got them on say something shitty and that you're trying something different. Dont be an asshole though,
>>
>>1509292
Why not pike
>>
Unbeknownst to me, i found out people surf fish with grubs and apperently this is a "west coast" thing? Anyone surf fish with grubs? How do you do it?

Im So-cal trash btw
>>
>>1509289
>someone tries to be friendly
>be an asshole to them
Thisiswhywecanthavenicethings.tiff

I mean, sure, if they are being loud and spooking the fish, that's not cool, but they probably don't know any better and responding in that way reflects bad on all of us.
>>
>catch anything?
>yea, aids from talking to you
>>
>>1509179
I wish, he ate a hollow body frog. In cold water. With no weeds around.
>>1509374
Tie it on to a jig head. Cast, retrieve. Add pops, bounces, pauses, etc until you get a bite. Once you get a bite, keep doing what you were doing.
>>
>>1509363
It’s a bit expensive I guess but if you don’t care then why not
>>
>>1509374
Carolina rig with 1/4 oz to 1 oz depend on swell condition and structure placement (how far you have to cast)
Either drag it slow on the bottom or a medium retrieve would work. Dragging it slow make it look like bait scurrying in the sand. Medium retrieve make it look like small baitfish
>>
>>1509362
>>1509375
don't care. I usually have earphones on and do my best to not look friendly when I'm fishing. I'm not in your way, don't bother me. these aren't other people fishing, it's just random people going for a hike and going out of the way to ask me the same question, so I don't mind being hostile with them.
>>
>>1509380
>>1509385
Domo senpai
>>
>>1509388
The problem with that attitude is that when we are out there fishing, we are, in a sense, representing anglers everywhere, and our individual behavior can reflects on all of us as a class in the public mind. The person you are a dick to may very well come away not with the singular impression that you individually are a dick, but the generalized impression that ALL anglers are dicks, which has consequences for all of us.

The person who isn't an angler is far more likely to come away with that impression, so that makes your response worse, not better. A fellow angler should probably know better, anyway.
>>
>>1509395
I don't care about what conclusions they come to. It doesn't affect me in any way and I don't appreciate being bothered for no reason. Now they know not to bother me if they see me again.
>>
anyone ever fished the spring river in arkansas? thinking about booking a cabin for a week in september for my birthday.
>>
>>1509406
>It doesn't affect me in any way
Wrong. Or at least you can't know that. It doesn't affect you IMMEDIATELY, and maybe not even DIRECTLY, but that's not the same thing as
>in any way
because it can still very well affect you down the road if, for instance, you want to fish a particular section of stream someday and come to find that the landowner won't allow fishing because of a bad experience with anglers in the past.
>>
>>1509374
I use these gulp swimming mullets which look kinda like grubs and have a similar action. I use them in NC in the surf on jig heads with just a regular spinning rod. I imagine your surf species like surf perch would attack them like a bluefiah or a big spot croaker would.
>>
>>1509289
This is how u end up getting your ass beat. Ur time will come lel.
>>
>>1509433
I'm not scared. I'm 6'1, 210lbs, have a purple belt in bjj and boxed my entire life. I'm not a tough guy, just saying. lel.

>>1509424
so be it.
>>
>>1509424
Or rather, end up getting your ass beat when he sees you again
>>
>>1509435
I welcome it.
>>
>>1509289
Based
>>
>>1509289
Pls post pictures of your face when you piss off the wrong hiker
>>
>>1509424
in my state all streams are considered public highways and landowners can't do fucking shit about it if i want to fish any part of it, that came straight from a game wardens mouth when a "homeowner" tried to say he "owned" a part of a local creek, he even put up some shitty fence and no trespassing signs, the warden came and told him creeks, streams and rivers not attached to a spring directly on the landowners property and that run continuously or lead into other streams, creeks or rivers are not subject to trespass laws and he had 30 days to remove the fencing and signs

the level of smugness on my face must have been glorious, this boomer nigger was seething

and if they want to do shit about it i'm always down to counter sue the living shit out of them or pull out my steyr m9
>>
>>1509515
Lucky you. In many states that is not the case.
>>
>>1509518
Yeah it's a bit fickle depending on the area. In Wisconsin it's something like if you are able to move a "vessel" on the water at any point of the year (including spring floods) it is navigable. And any classified trout streams are "priority navigable waterways" even if they're too small. We use the keep your feet wet rule here as well and you're allowed out only to navigate around a blockage and nothing else. There are a lot of technicalities that both landowners AND anglers aren't all knowledgeable of so you can run into a lot of issues and confrontations
>>
File: IMG_20190507_113317.jpg (2.33 MB, 4032x3024)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB JPG
Budding bassfag here, river was pretty high but I got out and practiced casting. Was able to cast a jig pretty far without any backlash but it's the baits with more air resistance that are going to give me trouble, right?
>>
>>1509728
Put heavy braid on your memecaster, you'll never have to fish anything but that frog.
>>
>>1509055
Orangegill. I get them to slam like crazy on topwaters jigs
>>
File: 1551481562221.gif (361 KB, 274x200)
361 KB
361 KB GIF
>>1509474
Hasn't happened yet.
>>
File: uop.jpg (62 KB, 718x960)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>1509374
>Unbeknownst to me

MORF grubs work good but the CRACK works better. C-rig, high low, dropper, slow retrieve.
>>
>>1509474
>piss off the wrong hiker
>and make him cry.
>and he tells a warden on you
>and you get in troubles
>for saying bad words
>>
>>1509734
I've never caught a single fish on a hollow bodied frog despite catching fish after fish and soon as I switch to a jitterbug. I never even got a blow up. I'm beginning to think it's a meme.
>>
>>1509814
>Fishing with crack
I will never understand saltwater fishermen
>>
>>1509289 #
What actually happened
>anon is fishing alone because he has no friends and tries to convince himself he'd rather be alone
>someone with a relatively normal hike asks him a simple courtesy question
>he responds with "n-n-n-nothing yet heh heh"
>goes home and posts about it on an autonomous Latin American meatpacking forum
>>
>>1509938
Hollow body spro frog is the greatest of all time. Get good
>>
>>1509728
Budding homosexual
>>
>>1509967
i lol'd. I've been discovered. back to packing meat everybody.
>>
Have you guys ever tried magnet fishing? I never have to buy crankbaits or jerkbaits again.
>>
>>1510110
I think you'll be dissapointed, if you don't lose your magnet on a bicycle or engine block you'll find that any hardware or hook hangers have rusted out.
>>
>>1509434
>have a purple belt in bjj
green belt in blow jjobs lol faggot
>>
>>1509938
Jitterbugs are great but I'd still rather have my frog. Its my confidence bait ever since i started fishing them correctly.
>>1509967
Kek
>>
>went fishing today
>stood by the lake for 5 hours
>not a single bite
>went home with absolutely nothing but sunburnt arms and face

Do you need autism or something? Why would anyone do this shit.
>>
I want a yak. I don’t want to drop a ton of dough on a hobie or similar pedal drives. What do y’all recommend that’s good for fishing???
>>
>>1510174
lol
>>
>>1510174

Did u move around or just stand in one spot during spawn season like a doofus
>>
File: renge.jpg (83 KB, 520x668)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>1510174
It's fun

what bait were you using? How were you casting and reeling? If you just stood there in the same spot and not reeling in the line you won't ever get any bites
>>
>unironically responding to the obvious bait
>>
>>1510178
Whatever's cheapest on craigslist. Traditionally sit on tops are used for fishing kayaks but in reality any old $200 sit in will be fine as long as it holds water and is at least 9' or so.
>>
>>1510188
>craigslist

no thanks, I want to keep my kidneys
>>
>>1510191
ask to meet in a police station parking lot if you're so paranoid
>>
>>1510191
Only niggers kill each other in craiglist trade because they are stupid. Craiglist trade involves too much paper trail that can easily be traced.
>>
>>1509289
>imagine being so big of pussy to kill your self you're mean to random strangers because no one else gives you attention

>>1509434
Lmao I'd call you out on it then shoot at you if you got agressive
>>
what's the best minnow imitation for fly fishing?
>>
File: n.jpg (74 KB, 720x735)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>1510110
Its not as easy as they make it out to be. good luck.
>>
>>1510225
What do you mean by best?
>>1510178
Sundolphin has a lot of hood affordable options
>>
>>1510257
Yeah I might have gotten a skewed experience because I got like 5 new crankbaits the first day I tried.
>>
Got out in the morning, didn't bring my phone but I caught a pickerel that had to be at least 16-18" long, thing was massive as well as a rotund perch that hit a 1/2 oz rattletrap, had to be at least a pound and a half probably more. Are perch still spawning I assumed it was so bloated because it was an egg laden female so I tossed it back instead of bringing it home for the stove.
>>
File: 00000.jpg (175 KB, 1440x810)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
whut up?
>>
>>1510196
I get plenty of attention and no you wouldn't.
>>
>>1510314
best minnow imitation. what imitates minnow the best
>>
>>1510773
Nice. Beam and length?
>>
File: ddde.jpg (165 KB, 720x960)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
>>1510225
what kinda baitfish you tryna fuk with homie?
>>
I found these online and ordered some to tie flies on. That little bit right behind the eye is huge for an ewg hook and i need to tie bass flies on it.
>>1510863
Game changer, baby fat minnow.
>>1510517
Decent hammer handle, i harass similar sized pike and small mouth bass in my home waters. It's funny as fuck to see a 12 inch fish try to eat a 10 inch fly.
>>
File: 20190507_165521.jpg (737 KB, 960x1280)
737 KB
737 KB JPG
What's the bottleneck in fly casting? That is to say, what's the biggest thing (in terms of quality of the item) holding the cast from going farther for any given line wt.? Is it the fly line, the tapered leader, or the rod?

I've been using a martin fly fishing outfit (5wt) that I picked up a while back, and the casting sweet spot where everything just casts nice and smooth is about 15ft. Which is not bad in some places that I fish. With roll casting I can push the line out to a little over 20ft, at which point it becomes really difficult to transfer energy from the roll any further.

So my initial question is because I want to stick with 5wt or possibly step down to 4wt, and was wondering whether it is possible to get better distance from these line weights by buying a better fly line, leader, or rod.

Pic partially related. Caught this big guy with 1/64oz trout magnet jighead that I can cast out to 30+ft EASILY with nanofil line. I wish I could cast fly line out that far just as easily.
>>
>>1510785
>please pay attention to me
>>
File: s.jpg (150 KB, 720x960)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
>>1510912
fly line is the most important, along with the proper leader. going up a weight will gain you a little distance also.
>>
File: twentythree.jpg (260 KB, 1145x776)
260 KB
260 KB JPG
>>1510785
Not that other guy but..
I would.
>>
>>1510912
You should be able to get a 5 weight to 50 feet easily even with a cheap set up. Look up the orvis casting videos. What is your cast doing when you try to go past 20 feet?
>>
File: 20190509_144828.jpg (2.75 MB, 4032x2268)
2.75 MB
2.75 MB JPG
New massfag from earlier in this and the other thread. Finally managed to catch a couple small bass after going out to different places around here 3-4 times and getting nothing. Tried different lures, but a small foxtail spinner ended up getting bites.

Also is it detrimental to the fish to retard hold them like this as long as I'm not squeezing too hard? I know it's not good for their slime coat, but is it a big deal?
>>
>>1511380
It does hurt the fish more because you are touching the fish directly more and affect its slime coat more
Sometimes you don’t have a choice though if the fish have teeth. I squeeze the shit out of mackerel and barracuda particularlybecause that’s the only way to get them to stop sperging out and throwing hooks everywhere
>>
>>1510936
woah
>>
File: IMG_20181002_173309.jpg (983 KB, 1944x2592)
983 KB
983 KB JPG
>>1511380
Holding fish like that is harmless with wet hands. Personally, though, i prefer to lip bass, like in this picture >>1509107
>>1511384
Yeah mackerels are assholes. If you can, swap to J hooks on all the lures you use for them.
>>
>>1511384
>>1511437
Will do, thank you. Also is it inadvisable to throw them back in with a spiral like a football?
>>
>>1511437
I’m not even targeting mackerel most of the time. They just absolutely go nuts during feeding frenzy (which is frequent) and are super aggressive that they can constantly take huge bait/lures meant to target other game fishes.
>>
>>1511437
If you ain't squeezing the fish like crazy or bending a bass too much when you lip it then you're good if your hands are wet.(You're doing fine in your pic)
>>
>>1507310
spackle some black paint on it and it will look more realistic
>or just flyfish with bait
>>
File: IMG_20190509_214120709.jpg (2 MB, 1836x3264)
2 MB
2 MB JPG
Hey bros first time hitting this lake this weekend for stockies, I'm new to fishing by contour what looks best? I figure the area right under the fish logo and next to the island are best bet, thoughts?
>>
File: 333.jpg (85 KB, 720x960)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>
File: 20190509_173052.jpg (287 KB, 960x1280)
287 KB
287 KB JPG
>>1511112
>What is your cast doing when you try to go past 20 feet?

I'm unable to keep the line in the air if I have too much line out, the end of travel of the fly line falls too low and starts hitting the vegetation and also hitting itself, causing tangles. 15ft is of line out is about the sweet spot, 20ft is prob max and it's sucky for me.

Anyways, took the fly fishing gear to my local urban bluegill lake today. Tied on size 24 midge flies and went to work. I am happy to say I caught several fish and had fun. The bluegill here hang out at the edge of the lake where there are many lilypads and other vegetation.

My dry flies don't float long enough even while using floatant, this totally messes up my chance to see a strike. On one occasion this pic.related bluegill took the fly on the surface and it was freaking awesome. The other times I had to visually be able to see the take underwater. Otherwise it was impossible to catch fish at long distances even if I could cast out to them. The way the bluegill are caught on this dry fly is that they need to be hook immediately on the take, or they'll just spit it out.

I also noticed that the line might be too heavy for this fly, it always fell first before the fly, making a splash ahead of the fly landing. This makes sense. Roll casting in general was super splashy and made a lot of ruckus but it was my best chance at casting further out.
>>
File: 20190427_160640.jpg (2.92 MB, 3264x2448)
2.92 MB
2.92 MB JPG
>>1511620
Are ypu getting loops, or some semblance of them while you're casting? Also on your back cast, cast slightly upwards, the line will fall to level as it travels back and set you up nicely for a forward cast. Also, fish foam terrestrials for bluegill (ants, beetles, small hoppers or crickets). I can push a 75 foot cast with my 4 weight set up (granted its a $120 rod and a $40 line) but even on a shitty eagle claw rod and air cel line a 50 foot cast was doable. Here's what i reccomend: strip out 25 feet of line (plus your leader) and tie on something like a yarn puff or a fly with the hook cut off. Lay the line out flat, dont start with it in a pile at your feet, then go pick up your rod. Stand so you have a clear area behind you for a back cast, with the rod tip a foot off the ground, and the line fairly straight. From there, smoothly accelerate the rod until you get it to the 1:30 position (12:00 being straight up) give your wrist an ever so slight "pop", then suddenly stop the rod by the 2:00 position. Look back over your shoulder as the loop un rolls behind you, and once the line is straight, bring the rod foreward in the same manner you brought it back, "pop" at 10:30 and stop by 10:00. Once you get your line roling out, slowly lower ypur rod tip with it as it falls. And again, check out the orvis fly casting videos; they're on YouTube and the orvis website
>>1511542
Its hard to use anything but maggots on a fly rod because they don't fall off
>>1511601
Quality
>>
>>1507310
I'd give it a shot. Ive seen tons of foam patterns on Google Images but very few tutorials.
>>
im new to owning a boat. do people generally just drive around until they mark fish, or do you find the depth/area/structure and fish regardless of whether or not you're marking fish?
>>
>>1511955
Unless you are
A- fishing for crappie
B- vertical jigging

Most people just fish points, drop-offs and the depth finder is mostly just to find the depth changes. Then again everyone's method is different. For example this fellow autist https://youtu.be/Dq13qjG7-Kw drives around slow until he marks one and then jigs it up in the attached video
>>1511565
If the water is 40 or less any flats about 6-8 feet. If its warm water definitely the deep holes
>>
File: Untitled.png (90 KB, 837x460)
90 KB
90 KB PNG
>>1506663
how are you supposed to use these weighted hook things?
i put my plastic fish on with the hook going out its under belly. when i pull in my line, the fish swims upside down.
i thought the hooks were supposed to be underneath the bait when you reel it in.
pls explain these hooks
>>
>>1512045
> hook jig head on a swimbait with hook out of the belly
> it swim upside down
Geez, I wonder what do you have to do to make it swim right side up.
If you are asking why that happen, it’s because the location of the eye (attachment point hole) of the jig that dictates the orientation of the lure will have. Pretty much all jig head will have eye in the same side of the hook point to force the jig to swim with hook pointup
>>
>>1512062
This. It's also usually indicated how it's supposed to ride on packaging of soft plastics.
>>
File: CITRUS_SHAD_LH[1].jpg (49 KB, 1000x1000)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>1512062
why would you want the hook to point up? i have these other baits with all the hooks on the bottom
>>
>>1512068
It snag less shit that aren’t fishes when it’s on top
Those lures have hooks on the bottom mostly due to design making it not possible to have them on top
>>
>>1512072
ok thx
>>
>>1512045
Jigs are riding the bottom quite a bit so the hook faces up to avoid snags
>>
>>1511936
Oh yeah no it catches fish.
>>
>>1507370
>muscular
those girly wrists say otherwise, champ
>>
>>1512072
>Those lures have hooks on the bottom mostly due to design making it not possible to have them on top
Also because they are mostly used midwater, not on the very bottom like jigs frequently are.
>>
>>1507536
>huge ass snake IN your kayak with you
>alpha snake is cucking you by eating the fish you caught
jesus christ I'd be too busy filling my drawers full of shid to take a goddamn picture
>>
>>1507536
What do your catfish rigs look like, massfag here and I just found out we have channel catfish up here. Do you rig your sinkers inline or have a 3 way dropper? Cut bluegill or liver or what?
>>
Relatively new fisherman here. A beaver swam across my line today while I had a bobber out, and I panicked a bit, I tried to reel in before he got to it, but he hit it and then the line got tight. Opened my bail and cut my line, but I think I might have hooked him. Feels bad man.
>>
>>1512302
Beavers are a nuisance lots of places.

I had a duck get all caught up in my line and had to cut it awhile back. It was an adolescent duck and then came to shore right by me with a nest of braid hanging off his neck. I had to grab the line and reel in the duck and hold the thing down to cut it off. Stupid ugly ass muscovy ducks.

If you ever hook a snapping turtle, kill the thing. Fuck those animals.
>>
>>1512149
I found a video earlier that uses foam for the body and rubber legs of some sort for wings. I'm gonna try it and see if I can replace the rubber legs with feathers or something but I think the pattern could work.
>>
>>1512360
I hooked a snapping turtle and got close enough to cut the line off but I left the hook. It was through his mouth and wasn't impeding anything. I wasn't getting any closer.
>>
>>1512360
>If you ever hook a snapping turtle, kill the thing.
Take it home for soup.
>>
File: 20190427_161654.jpg (2.72 MB, 3264x2448)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB JPG
>>1512361
Feathers will make great wings. I used a shopping bag for the wings on mine.
>>
Suggest a good deal on a starting fish finder for kayak, preferably with a gps
>>
>>1512407
A lot of people go with Garmin.
>>
Heading /out/ to lake Missanabie at the end of the month with my dad fishing for lake trout. Any tips on how to get them?

He mentioned something about gorge hooks, but no idea what I should get to go with that, a spoon?
>>
File: IMG_2216.jpg (2.91 MB, 4032x3024)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB JPG
>>1512404
nothin personnel kid
>>
Is fly fishing a mandatory thing when fishing for brook/brown trout in montana, and other trout stream places.
>>
>>1511638
>I can push a 75 foot cast with my 4 weight set up (granted its a $120 rod and a $40 line) but even on a shitty eagle claw rod and air cel line a 50 foot cast was doable.

I actually do have the 6'6" eagle claw fly rod. I recently purchased Cortland Fairplay 4wt fly line for 7 bucks shipped. The packaging advertises "compact head for quick loading and distance", so I'm expecting better results than whatever line I've got on the reel.

Also going to buy one of them furled leaders for good measure.
>>
>>1512469
Not state-wide,AFAIK, but there are specific water bodies (or areas) where the use of natural baits is restricted. Even then, I believe it's more common to see a "fly or lure" requirement rather than strict fly-only. AFAIK, those restrictions are more common out west than in the Northeast (in New York and New England, there are very few waters where natural bait is disallowed, except for anadramous salmon).

Most, if not all, states' Fish and Wildlife agencies have a website where you can find this kind of information. They usually have a "digest" in PDF form with all the relevant details, which you'll want to read if you plan to fish there.

Incidentally, states differ even in their definition of a "fly" vs. a "lure." Here in Vermont, a fly can have a maximum of one, single-pointed hook, and no more, while next-door in New York, it's still only a single hook, but it can be double. In either of these states, more than one hook (and in Vermont, more than one point) makes it a lure, not a fly, as does the addition of spinners or such, so spinner-flies (like "Joe's Flies") and tandem-hook streamers are legally lures, not flies. As I said, there are few if any waters here that are strictly fly-only, rather than fly/lure-only, but the distinction still matters because of the regulations about how many you can have on a line (e.g., in Vermont, you can have up to three flies on one line, but no more than two lures).
>>
>>1512469
No but it's worth
>>1512470
Good luck
>>
NEW
>>1512612
>>1512612
>>1512612
>>1512612
>>
>>1512461
>personnel
>The body of persons employed by or active in an organization, business, or service.

It's personal now, homie!

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.