[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Questions that don’t deserve their own thread
>>
Anyone know where I can find a dump pouch exactly like the shoulder pounch on zpacks’ website? I don’t want a tactical dump pouch - just a normie looking shoulder pouch that isn’t $29. Pic related
https://zpacks.com/products/shoulder-pouch
>>
Are bicycles /out/?
>>
File: 33d.jpg (428 KB, 600x721)
428 KB
428 KB JPG
Can you eat wolf meat and how does it taste?

I'm asking because we're experiencing a new wolf plague in europe right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USf8eiozeHo
>>
>>1497640
I wouldn't eat any carnivore's flesh as a rule in general. The dumb aussies on Bali beaches seem to like it when they are told it is chicken meat on the skewer whereas we all know it is really dog meat.. food for thought....
>>
>>1497530
That seems easy as shit to make
>>
File: Thermarest-Treo-Review.jpg (61 KB, 1186x477)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
Recomend me a good chair for backpacking/hiking

Yea it's a bit unesecary but I like the comfort and my knees are nice for it

Looking at the thermareat treo. Not the lightest but it was recommend by a friend and am going to loan hers to try it out but what other to look at?
>>
>>1497755
I was eying rei’s chair - can’t say I’ve ever sat in one though. They all look incredibly unstable and bulky to pack
>>
>>1497755
You're right in saying it's unnecessary, though I've toyed with the idea of getting one of those super light and compact collapsible stools. I wouldn't recommend getting a chair with a back because that's beyond excessive. What I ended up doing though is getting a hammock and going bear burrito camping instead of bringing a tent. It serves as a pretty good seat. One major downside of course is that I can't use it safely around the fire unless the fire is down to embers. Mostly I just find logs and sit on those while /out/

https://www.amazon.com/GCI-Outdoor-PackSeat-Portable-Camping/dp/B0015OYXY4
This is the lightest I can find in just a couple minutes of searching.
>>
Can anyone recommend me some comfy trail runners and socks that are available in Europe?
>>
What are the ideal conditions for seeing foxfire in Illinois or Missouri?
>>
>>1497709
I don't know who the hell you could not know the difference. I mean at least instantly know it isn't chicken.
>>
How do I find areas that are more out in the wilderness sorts of trails? I live in a city and want to go to more than just a park
>>
>>1498025
What city/region, anon?
>>
>>1497527
this is a Celtic axe head from roughly 300bc
it's supposed to have an L shaped handle but how do I actually attach the head to the handle wood?
is it just pine sap or do I put a wedge in from the front?
>>
File: 71sz-2UuwpL._SL1500_.jpg (153 KB, 1500x1500)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
>>1497755
wildhorn outfitters terralite
it's durable cheap and comfy
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IRVUC2O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>>
Who wears wool shirts? Is the only downside cost? My synthetics fucking stink and I feel like an asshole wearing them in town.

>>1497640
Just cook it well, try for yourself. The pelt is the value though.
>>
Where can I find a gf who I can convert vans and travel with
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGXztMieXyU
>>
>>1498086
Best bet is post grad useless degree with a pair bonded art school gf.
>>
>>1498047
You didn’t show a pic of the other side, but I believe that’s called a socketed axe, or Celtic socketed axe might give you some pics on google images
>>
>>1498047
Here’s a Bronze Age one
>>
Is there anything i should know about hunting in another country? Im planning a sweden moose hunt for next year and plan to ship any trophies back to burgerland. Ive read the basic laws but is there anything regarding shipping or anything not obvious i should know?
>>
>>1498103
Start here. https://www.fws.gov/le/declaration-form-3-177.html
You’re really going to want to call customs and the fish and wildlife service though
>>
>>1498106
Thanks anon
>>
Any Virginia anons know of good camping/hiking areas? I'll be there for a couple of weeks in the summer
>>
>>1498047
>how do I actually attach the head to the handle wood?
You don't need to, using this sort of axe pounds the head tight with every blow.
>>
Anyone been to Dry Tortugas National Park that would like to share some stories?
>>
>>1498117
Loads of good hiking and camping out in the western part of the state. Mount Rogers Wilderness Area is a perennial favorite of mine.
>>
>>1498117
Where in Virginia?
>>
Husband and I are living in the city while he finishes up his master's, and we got the go-ahead from our landlord to set in raised beds in the backyard. Any good tips for gardening in raised beds? Good soils?
>>
>>1498195
No personal experience, but I have a family friend who is a “master gardener” (whatever that means), and he uses a lot of composted horse manure and earth boxes. Always has tons of vegetables
>>
>>1497755
I have this chair. It's very comfy. I keep it in the car these days. One downside is, if you're not sitting in it, the wind can suddenly pick it up and blow it into the campfire or off the edge of the rock where you put it, so if you use this chair in an exposed place you have to be vigilant. I now think for backpacking one of those very lightweight little stools would suit me better.
>>
File: sprained-ankle.jpg (45 KB, 1200x800)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
I sprained my ankle last friday while hiking. It's nothing too serious I think but I would like to know an opinion about how much damage has been done and how long it will take to recover (in b4 someone tells me to go to the doctor, my GP is old and will probably tell me to rest for an entire month).

It basically went like this:
>9am: left home
>11am: started feeling some pressure in my right foot, blamed the laces
>12am: ate lunch, rested for a while and triple-checked my shoe laces
>1pm: resumed my hike
>2:30pm: right foot started to really hurt, picked up a stick to use as a makeshift crutch
>3pm: simply couldn't walk on that foot anymore after stopping to take a piss, called a sibling who drove me home

I could walk bare-footed just fine at home. My ankle was slightly bruised and swollen but nothing too bad. I've been applying ice to it every night since then, have avoided squats and deadlifts as per /fit/'s advice and biked on flat ground for cardio.

I did go on a short 11km hike yesterday. I felt fine except at the very end of the hike when I had to go down a very steep road and I could feel some pain.
>>
>>1497772
Salomon, la sportiva, inov8, nike, addidas, doesn't matter really, I think the primary choice is lug or no lugs and what's on sale
I buy my socks at decathlon
>>
>>1498320
That's not how you sprain an ankle. You did nothing to it just rest and ice.
>>
>>1497758
theyre actually pretty comfy.
They are larger, but you can pack them outside your bag
>>
>>1497530
buy a shirt with a pocket.
>$29 for the ultimate yuppie accessory, a mesh pocket with shoulder rigging
Christ the memes are true.

>>1498320
that's not a sprain, sounds more like a jammed joint. If you want to fix it well enough to walk on it almost immediately then see a chiropractor. The last bad sprain I got was a 50% tear, I couldn't even put pressure on it. A chiro snapped all the bones back into alignment and I walked out of his office. I had to ice it for a month but I was functional.
>>
>>1497772
ASICS has great shoes
>>
>>1498161
bumping this, what sort of boats did yall bring
>>
>>1498195
there is a gardening general thread on this board, that would be the place to ask
>>
>>1498323
>>1498345
That's good to know. Thanks.
>>
File: 3LegCampStool.jpg (30 KB, 663x569)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>1497755
Treo is nice, a couple buddies have them. One of them broke theirs when he put all his weight on one leg but he's a big boy and is def pushing the weight limit of the chair.
The other one likes his and has had no problems whatsoever. He says the 3 legs is a bit of a con on slopes, in sand/mud, etc. but not too bad.

I use something similar to pic related that I got for like $10. I wouldn't recommend it, it's pretty shit but better than nothing I guess. I think back support is key.
We do a lot of canoe trips so the extra weight isn't really a huge issue; I probably wouldn't bring a chair backpacking personally, but it's up to you.

Another friend has the Helinox Chair One that he really likes, but hell is that ever pricey. You can find similar designs for much cheaper.
>>
File: 20190420_202229.jpg (1.25 MB, 2560x1440)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB JPG
Got some new stuff. How did I do?
>>
File: WoolpowerLiteTee.jpg (19 KB, 620x338)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>1498080
I wear wool or wool blends from fall to spring, but not in the summer.
I have a couple medium weight wool(60%)/poly(30%)/nylon(10%) blend button down shirts that I love to use in cold/cool weather (-40C to 10C)
A few lightweight baselayer type shirts (one long, one short sleeve) that are blended with 20% nylon that are great up to maybe 20C.
In real hot+humid weather, I opt for poly button downs because it's lightweight and dries super quick so I can wash it in the lake. It does stink real bad, however I don't wear them in town so I tend not to care so much.
Wool is great for regulating temp, but when it's humid I hate wearing wool because it gets heavy, loses shape, and takes a while to dry. I've worn some in +35C and been very hot.

Pros: Warm, resists stank, comfy, great at regulating temperature, quiet, breathable.
Cons: Fragile (comparatively), gets caught on brush/foliage, longer drying time, expensive
>>
>>1498425
I need something like this even just for day-hikes. I do a lot of landscape sketches and it's always a lot more pleasant if you have a somewhere to sit
>>
>>1498185
I'll be near the coast in Virginia Beach.
>>
>>1498427
Hide your girlfriends, lads.
>>
Is it true that venomous spiders cant make webs?

I walk a lot of trails in forests and there are plenty of spiders on their webs on the trails. I'm not afraid of bugs crawling on me but I am afraid of being bitten by one that is venomous.

I do good at avoiding the spiders and their webs but a few get me and i freak out trying to get it off.

I live in northern/middle Texas and have only heard about brown recluse and black widow.

Is i t a problem if i just let the spider stay on me and get it off when I care enough?
>>
>>1499784
Thats 100% not true, I don't know how you could even fall for that.
>>
>>1499784
All spiders are venomous, and all spiders make webs, even the ones that can kill you. Using your most basic reasoning skills could have solved this.
>>
>>1499799
>>1499795
Very helpful. Five month ban from /adv/
>>
>>1497640
You're delusional if you think wolves are a problem here.
>>
I'm going to be building out the back of my 3rd gen 4runner with a sleeping platform and some storage area for camping equipment/climbing gear. My question is this: should I buy a 4 person tent and 2 sleeping bags from REI with my coupon for 25% off or are there better, more poignant purchases I could make? I do not own a tent or sleeping bags, but have climbing gear and some stuff to outfit the pantry and bed of the 4runner.

tl;dr new to car camping/camping in general, should i buy a tent and 2 sleeping bags (one for me one for gf) or are there better purchases I could make
>>
File: Akko_2_int.png (77 KB, 188x264)
77 KB
77 KB PNG
I'm going to get into backpacking this year, but I'm concerned about getting lost by myself. Any good resources on wilderness navigation?
>>
>>1498080
Speaking of pelts, does anyone here tan hides? I had a few rabbit hides and tried various brain tanning methods but the hides fell apart. What is the best method for tanning and what should I watch out for?
>>
>>1500071
watch dave canterbury, has a ton of navigation videos.
>>
>>1500138
I salt them for a day first too make sure I get all the fat and meat off. Then I do the tanning. Are you adding anything else to it? I've never had a pet fall apart even when I just salted and scrapped.
>>
Any recommendations on some good, cheap binoculars? I have the need to creep
>>
>>1500440

Don't go cheap on binoculars, even if you have to save and wait. Cheap isn't worth it unless you find better ones at a pawn shop.
>>
>>1500445
Where I live unless I'm up on a mountain I'd be lucky to see over 100m.
>>
>>1500449
Cheap ones also fog up easier, breakdown fast, and don't focus well. If you really want to go cheap just go on Amazon and sort by lowest price, buy the cheapest you can because you will end up buying them again very soon.
>>
>>1498497
anywhere away from the basketball americans
>>
Are hammocks or ultralight tents better for lightweight sleeping?
>>
Just moved to Texas and buddy wants to go camping for the first time. I have enough gear for us both to go backpacking in Sam Houston like I usually do. But what are some comfy spots around central TX?
>>
>>1500536
Try hammock camping in combination with a tent. I went the tent route. Even with a sleeping pad, underquilt, mosquito net, and rain fly for my hammock, the comfort of solid ground underneath was for me.
>>
>>1500430
I kept them in saltwater for a few days because I was overloaded with other work. Does it need to be tanned immediately, or can it sit in water for a while? What do you put on the pelt to soften it and keep it from hardening again?
>>
>>1500445
Why do monoculars cost almost as much as binoculars even though they have literally half as much ocular?
>>
>>1497988
Finding the right fungus and it being dark.... We're talking about the same Foxfire right?
>>
>>1500564
A lot of the state and national parks in tax are overcrowded, especially in the hill country area. The best camping is probably in west Texas, like the Davis mountains or big bend, but it depends on the time of the year more than anything
>>
>>1500573

Oh yeah, don't do that.

> Mix Alum Ammonium with water and soak, not salt.

> Board it and rub salt over the whole skin. Let dry in the shade.

> Rub the salt off with the minimum amount of water. Preferably none.

> Work it over a board or the back of a steady chair.

> Brain tan or chemical tan

> Work it again for desired softness, but be careful not to over work it.

> Smoke it with low heat ~200°, for about 6 hours.

> Dry shampoo the fur side.

Don't ever leave it soaking for more than 2 days. Don't soak in salt water. Be patient.
>>
>>1500634

Because boomers and hipsters love useless redundant crap like monoculars.
>>
>>1500767
I will write this down for next time. Thank you very much, friend.
>>
>>1500743
Yeah I had a terrible time at Enchanted Rock
>Only 2 hours in
>Ran into a bunch of high college kids
>They're all dieing from dehydration during a drought
>I have 4 liters of water
>Have to help them back to the parking lot
>Lost their car keys
>Drive them to their parents house
>They give me a gram and fuck off

Damn I wish I worked out of Carlsbad NM. But Houston is nice. Have you been to Ozark National Forrest? It's the same distance as Davies. I want to check out the be Ouachita hills and Eagle Ford
>>
>>1498320
> Go see GP with decades of experience in treating injuries
>Ask /fit/ and /out/ instead, because fuck that guy
4chins everyone!
>>
File: bit_retarded.jpg (43 KB, 327x406)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>1500794
>GP who has zero knowledge of biomechanics, spent his whole life treating the flu and prescribing painkillers for old farts vs people who suffered from the same injuries I did and found what worked best to recover as fast as possible
>>
>>1500828

> GP with 0 knowledge of biomechanics.

Hey kid, you think you could go back to /b/ and leave the adults to their /out/ discussions
>>
>>1500839
no u
>>
Is there a way to buy flies from the Nemo Military line and use them to replace the skittle colored flies on the civilian line?
>>
>>1500828
The irony of weeb posters, everyone.
>>
I purchased a Hardrock Special for $80 today. Did I get a good deal. New tires, pedals, and brakes
>>
>>1501105

Rough it up a bit and you'll know
>>
>>1501105
Did you hit any sweet jumps with it yet?
>>
Anyone got any good recommendations for bike and skate tools? Looking to be able to do the most amount of repairs in the field possible but light weight is also a bit important. Just got the Osprey Raptor 14 hydration pack and it comes with an awesome tool roll compartment in the bottom.
>>
>>1498427
Vests are gay, so are tripfags.
>>
>>1498195
My dad just built my mom hers a few years ago. This is a slow board and I'm visiting them in a couple weeks for my birthday. Will take pics of it's construction and reply again or in whatever gardening thread is up at that time. Need to start visiting that thread anyway. My family has always been good with plants. I recommend Black Gold as a soil brand. Used to supervise the local gardening store.
>>
Any ultralight sleep system advice? Cooking too plz. Not getting into ultralight for upboats and +1s. Just homeless and looking to lighten my pack.
>>
>>1499784
A whole gang of widows made webs in the little space between my cupboard and wall years ago. Flamed those fucks by spraying brake cleaner through a zippo. Around blacks, never relax.
>>
>>1501041
>weeb
You don't know what that word means.
>>
>>1497758
I have similar model, but from Aliexpress. It was for ~$26 on some kind of sale. I'm 6 ft / 200 lbs and It holds up well. I suppose it will be a good festival addition, as long as I won't try to dance in it.
>>
File: DSC_8365.jpg (993 KB, 1000x668)
993 KB
993 KB JPG
I want to buy a tarp for car/festival camping and first tries in stealth and hammock camping. I'm pretty much set for DD Hammocks tarps but on the fence with models:

- 3x3 metres or 10x10 ft, 790 g or 1.74 lbs, proven by youtubers and a base choice for me, ~$46
- lighter version of it - 460 g or 1.01 lbs, costs almost twice as much. Is it worth to buy lighter right away, or upgrade to it later?
- 3.5x3.5 metres or 11,5x11,5 ft - 1050 g or 2.31 lbs. Is the real-world size difference worth extra grams over the 3x3?
>>
>>1501126
Thanks
>>1501129
Have to put all the new brakes, tires, grips, pedals first
>>
>>1500791
Like the other anon said, the hill country areas are pretty popular since they're within 2 hours drive of San Antonio or Austin. When I lived in SA I'd visit Lost Maples often, it's pretty cool in the fall but it's packed that time of year.

I've camped in Big Bend and Guadalupe Mountains recently and they're amazing places. Big Bend is enormous with a variety of landscapes. Guadalupe has forests and tallest peak in TX

They're well worth the long drives
>>
Ok, poorfag going to ask here. Where can i get a free gear? Currently looking for tent and sleeping mat.
>>
>>1502234
> free gear
If that was even possible, if anyone knew, they sure wouldn't spill the beans here.
>>
>>1502234
Not free but Goodwill/garage sales?
>>
>>1497640
#FridayForAllah
>>
>>1502234
Tell a charity that you're homeless. They even hand out some nice wool blankets sometimes.
>>
Does anyone have any experience with these old vintage external frame backpacks that can also be used as a chair ?

http://blog.zeit.de/freitext/freitext/wp-content/blogs.dir/84/files/2016/08/Rucksack-Jochen-Schmidt-600x800.jpg

like this?
>>
File: 1525635517073.jpg (58 KB, 853x480)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
I'm going on my first long time trek (aprox 10 days) next month, and I'm wondering, what can i do to pass time when I'm here? I'll maybe walk 8 or 9 hours a day, explore stuff, set up camp etc, but what interesting thing should i do when i'm doing nothing? I thought about writting a diary and stuff like that, but it won't take me so much time either. I'm an eurofag so i can't carry any firearm.
>>
>>1503010
Books! You can also try your hand at carving basic shit like a spoon or something with your knife.
>>
>>1503021
Thank's that a really good idea! I'll try to get a couple of them. I never find the time to read otherwise, partly because my attention always gets deviated to electronic devices. It's not very woody but i'll try to carve some stuff, even if it's just a shitty pike at first.
>>
Trail runners or boots for long distance backpacking during summer?
>>
>>1503110
Trail runners
>>
>>1503128
personal experience?
>>
File: 74161308_p0.png (1.18 MB, 1800x1400)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB PNG
What's the most Kino way to travel? I'm a big Kino NO Tabi fan, and I'm wondering what would be the most kino-like way to travel. Motorcycle would be an obvious choice, but i feel like, transposed irl, it really doesn't fit much with the atmosphere of the show. I'm thinking of a relaxing travel that would be more about observing than really acting, while observing new towns, their inhabitants etc. I think bycicle tourism might be more similar to it? Or juts plain backpacking?
>>
>>1503502
>So deep
>So intelligent
>So /tv/
Retarded
>>
>>1503644
It's /a/
>>
>>1503502
Probably ATV or similar. Maybe a dirt bike that's allowed on atv trails, I dunno what the rules are.
>>
>>1503502

There needs to be another /out/ board specifically for LARPers.
>>
Does fire need to go CRACK CRACKL or is it fine Fsh FSh pff
>>
>>1503874
That's fine, but if it ever SCREE SCREE, just run.
>>
File: 1402881737451.png (438 KB, 561x381)
438 KB
438 KB PNG
>>1503874
>>
Once fire went SCREE REEEE but I look and it just my dog burning alive

There is always exemptions my mate
>>
>>1497527
What's a good sleeping bag for 3 seasons which is reasonably cheap?
I'm in Britain if it's any help.

Ideally I'd like it to be able to compact down tightly or be light weight (most important is weight) but I know if I'm asking for price I'll have to sacrifice something.
>>
>>1503954
Just bury yourself. I'm not joking or trolling. This is legit what I do in winter.

I do a lean-to or tarp over a stick as a tent, then just dig a nice hole and bury myself except my head. It stays very warm even in below 20 weather and snow.
>>
>>1500715
yes. But I mean like weather and stuff. How soon after a rain, what temperature?
>>
Good all purpose shoes?
>>
>>1504155

Sperry for me, light, comfy, dry fast, airy, and tough for being so thin. ~$30
>>
any cheap but decent head lamp or flashlight recommendations? I was going to ask on /chinkshit/ but maybe this place is better
>>
File: 1401263121083.png (3 KB, 430x373)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
>>1497527
>realize I really like camping
>am really drawn to paragliding, would love to do hike and fly eventually (read a great story about a dude who would regularly bring a tent with him, spend the night on the mountain, then fly down/home in the morning)
>literally none of my friends like to spend time outdoors, especially not overnight
What the fuck should I do boys, doing it alone is shitty. I guess I'm really into the romantic idea of spending the night under the night sky, etc. I have some friends who are into hiking but they never camp because "it's uncomfortable". I would love to do stuff like, leaving in the afternoon, reaching a comfy location, making a camp, spending a night, then coming home next morning, but most people seem to just focus on the hiking part.

tl;dr tfw no friends to camp with, wtf should I do
>>
>>1505745
What state/country?
>>
>>1505738
Ozark trail
>>
>>1505753
Central Europe
>>
>>1505755
Sorry USA here, maybe try the meet up board?
>>
>>1505745
>>1505755
Central as in Germany or as in farther east? I'm in western europe and in a similar situation.
Most euros seems exclusively interested in the sport part of treking, without the fun parts like camping, lighting a fire, fishing etc.
>>
>>1505783
A bit farther east, but yea.
>Most euros seems exclusively interested in the sport part of treking, without the fun parts like camping, lighting a fire, fishing etc.
Fuck man that's so accurate. But while reading this it just crossed my mind that the father of my (very close) buddy likes fishing and outdoor activities in general (I think), and while his son doesn't, he has on a couple of occasions invited us to "do some stuff together". Maybe I should give him a call, but it just feels kinda weird, calling a guy who I barely know and asking "hey man wanna go out fishing, camping, and generally just do stuff that I wish my father had done with me when I was growing up?"

Damn, I know I have issues, writing that down caused a pang of pain in my chest, but it's true.
>>
Recently moved to a bigger town where the easiest way for a one night out is cycling out of town to some trails
Was thinking about getting a tarp and a hammock for this summer
Any recommendations on what to get/avoid?
Think just a simple tarp, a hammock and rope
>>
Did the holocaust actually happen?
>>
>>1505833
You should always avoid eating the bay leaf, make sure you take them out after cooking, they can tear the lining of your intestines. Good luck on your /out/ fren!
>>
>>1505961
Yes, during WW2 to be exact. But remember America and England had concentration camps too!
>>
>>1505833
Found out that Ticket to the moon hammocks are a favourite in my country
Anyone have any opinion on these?
Might get this type since getting second hand extra like mosquito nets is cheaper when a lot of people have it
>>
I have a dog and am getting a cat soon. I plan on taking them both hiking with me this year. How much water is best to carry, and what would be the best backpack to do so?
>>
What is a good knife/tool to carve small figurines from wood?
>>
>>1506410
>How much water is best?
A lake or small pond should be sufficient to drown the cat.
>>
>>1506410
>taking your cat with you on a hike
Are you retarded?
>>
>>1506434
Cats can be leashed trained, and I've seen people hiking pretty far out with their cats. Not same guy btw.
>>
>>1506008
But did 6,000,000 really die?

(270,000 is the real number)
>>
>>1497640
>good environment and forests only there due to wolves
>plague
>>
>>1506462
The nazi kept records that controdict that.
>>
What tent to choose?
I want the lightest thing possible.
>>
>>1506434
Other people do it. Plus taking my cat means I can /out/ as long as I want without worrying about finding somebody to watch him for long trips.
>>
>>1506611
Probably a zpacks solplex or whatever it’s called. Or a tarp, but tarps are gay
>>
>>1506681
>>1506457
People who do shit like this need children, not a cat/dog.
>>
>>1498117
Damascus, all roads lead to Damascus, the Appalachian Trail runs straight through the main street, you can get shuttles there which will drive you anywhere between 5 and 50 miles, there's mountain bike rentals for the famous Virginia Creeper trail, it is the be-all, end-all /out/ location in VA. Avoid shitty parks like Shenandoah.
>>
will any old poncho do or are some better than others?
>>
File: s-l400.jpg (19 KB, 400x400)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>1497765
I got one of these and they're great. less than 5 bucks and super light and compact
>>
What's the speed of smell?
>>
>>1506416
why, that would be the old Nigger on the porch trustee pocket knife
>>
>>1506465
Proof.
>>
File: 1519944692376.jpg (608 KB, 982x1282)
608 KB
608 KB JPG
>>1505745
go by yourself? it's not that hard anon
>>
recently got interested in trying out camping but I have psoriatic arthritis in most of my major joints and to make it worse I live in IL. how fucked am I?
>>
>>1503880
kek
>>
>>1507030
> Stop doing things I don't like REEEEEEEEE
>>
>>1506462
And did 270, 000 die by execution? or was it malnutrition and disease?
>>
>>1505745
Camping on your own is better than with others.
It really is nice to just have nature and yourself as company.
People say the same thing about traveling/ going to the movies. Going alone has its cons(being lonely) but if your fine with being on your own you can do WHATEVER YOU WANT. You don't need to stick to others schedules or what they want to do, you get to decide.
>>
I've always been camping with tents but am seeing more and more people use tarps. Looking into pricing I've seen some that are $100+ and am wondering which one to buy (to save space, I live in the desert and our creepy crawlies aren't too bad). Does high price just boil down to material and weight?
>>
>>1497755
Just make a tpost seat out of two logs.
>>
>>1507030
>that 30+ y.o. childless woman I know gets a puppy
>asks me to show her some places to take the dog on walks in the local forest
>complains about men the entire time
Almost burned out my eyes and threw my ears onto the floor, guys. It was terrible.
>>
>>1503502
Get a car and camping supplies. Assuming you're in the US you can just drive around the country camping at various state parks/sleeping in your car as you go. Buy food from a super market and bring portable grill. Real simple anon, actually going out and doing it is like 90% of the task itself, planning is maybe 10% and super easy
>>
Give me tips on how to find long-term parking spots (up to a week) when I go /out/ on a trail
>>
>>1508498
Google maps
>>
Hey can anyone tell me if chocolate, candy, and sweet mint are all the same name for the same plant?
>>
Does it count as murder if you pick up a hitchhiker and it turns out they are really fucking irritating and you just kick them out and they end up dying of exposure?
>>
is there a mycology general here
>>
>>1508538
No, the hitchhiker clearly stated he wanted out right there at that spot, officer.
>>
>>1508548
Just worry I'll be on the hook every time I pass one.
>>
File: 1549240095806.jpg (95 KB, 600x598)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
How much water should you carry for an overnight hike. I'm planning on hiking through a place that isnt close to water sources. Im thinking of carrying 4 litres, should I carry more?
>>
>>1508664
How many miles and elevation gain and temperature
>>
>>1508664
4 liters is typically what I do if I am not near a water source.
>>
>>1501493
Perdernales isn’t terrible if you go during the middle of be week. It’s a shame because it’s visually one of my favorite state parks but it gets packed on he weekends.

Brazos bend is one of my favorite spots that’s a bit closer to Houston
>>
>>1497527
I'm in the nebulous planning stage of a road trip from Florida across Texas then looping back around. I've got a decent backpacking setup, a car, and a bit of money.
Does anybody have experience with free-form solo road trips? If so, what advice do you have? I'm kind of at a loss when it comes to sleeping. I'm totally fine sleeping in my car, and I would like to do some overnight hikes along the way, but is it easy to find cheap campsites like KOA's along the way?
>>
Having a massive problem with foot odour.
It's so bad that I was thrown off a train on the way back from an /out/ing, I almost died from embarrassment.

Its worse than athletes foot, I get this thick black oil/tar between my toes that seems to appear within hours

I wash my feet daily, sometimes twice a day- but it's summer in Myanmar and it's 35 degrees and humid.

Locals just don't wear shoes, but I'm in the jungle where snake bites and all manner of insects are a big deal.

Truly at a loss, any advice appreciated
>>
File: 1525761859714.gif (225 KB, 500x500)
225 KB
225 KB GIF
Where can I find good data on forest paths and whatnot?
I want to travel from a town in Norrbotten (Sweden) to Sundsvall by foot, but I'm having a hard time finding a good path that doesn't involve me walking next to a populated road for any length of time.
>>
>>1508936
Wikiloc?
works well but idk what their actual region coverage is like, mostly foresters and enthusiasts upload trails
>>
>>1508908
>goes to some malrial niggerjungle
>complains when fungus colonizes his body
Just leave.
>>
>>1508363
Do you plan on moving back to a bed roll, too? Fuck, why not forget all that shit and find a cave, like a real man.
>>
>>1508908
Go to a doctor, ffs.
>>
>>1508968
The first time I set up camp the army raided me, thinking I was a refugee or smuggler.

There are rare birds I was checking out, I for one like the malarial jungle

But the humidity is a problem, i went from flat soled leather boots to those canvas Chinese army coverse all the yunnan farmers wear.
I really had to in order to opperate innaswamp, but now my feet smell like a dead pig.
>>
>>1508908
Go. To. A. Doctor. Why do so many people think retards on some Mongolian basket weaving forum know more than a Doctor?
>>
>>1508936
There are a couple trail map apps. Don't know about your country though. Here you can just go to the rangers station and get a map of all the backwoods trails.
>>
>>1497640
A Wolf Plague ? There is so little wolf in Germany, Spain, France, and Italy that the specie is almost dead. You are either a burger or a digger.
>>
I want a cheap GPS that doesn't suck. I don't mind buying used. Anyone got any recommendations?
>>
>>1509041
You picked up an exotic fungual infection. Congrats. Do us a favor and stay away from all public showers/baths and swimming pools.
As others have said, going to a doctor is a must. You could try buying OTC anti-fungal medication in the meantime though.
>>
>>1509033
>>1509233
You think it's actually worth going to a doctor about?
I have a broad spectrum antifungal cream I'm using and I was going to try baking soda in my socks
>>
>>1509430

>So bad kicked off public transportation
>Self treating but no change
>Is it serious enough to see a doctor?

Retard.
>>
>>1509432
Who pissed in your coffee?
>>
>>1509430
>smell like a rotting carcass
>feet are leaking black oil
>shud i c doctur?
Nigger you're lucky that your flesh hasn't started falling off yet. Go to a fucking doctor immediately. Fungal infections (if that's what it is) are very difficult to treat and they certainly don't go away by themselves. You must be smoking crack if you think baking soda in your socks is going to ward off whatever the hell you picked up.
>>
>>1509452
He's calling you a retard for your own good, retard. You managed to acquire some kind of terrible illness and you're trying to treat it with home remedies.
>>
File: tower-original.jpg (655 KB, 1150x853)
655 KB
655 KB JPG
>>1509452
No one, but some guy with feet that smelled worse than the tower of silence tried getting on my bus this morning and still refuses to go see a doctor.
>>
>>1509453
>>1509454
>>1509457
OK, point taken
>>
File: UKK.png (136 KB, 548x636)
136 KB
136 KB PNG
Anyone hiked UrhoKekkonen National park? I was thinking about hiking the Luirojärvi path but this would be my first non-marked hike. Anything I need to know other than bring a map and compass?
>>
how do you guys shave when out for longer times ? Im a fan of safety razors but dont know if the weight is too much
inb4 dont shave, dont wanna get lice or shit like that
>>
>>1509926
Why would you shave when you're out?
>>
>>1509926
>>1509947
Sorry I should have finished reading. Shaving isn't going to lower your chances of getting lice unless you're bald everywhere. Then yea, whatever you do at home.
>>
Is the Suunto traverse alpha good or should I just get slme garmkng gps? The Suunto clakms to have a 100hour battery for the gps tho but is thete anything that could beat it for cheaper?
>>
>>1508908
>It's so bad that I was thrown off a train on the way back from an /out/ing
I'm pretty sure that's a go get medical help situation.
>>
>>1508908
did you remover your shoes while on the train? if so, you deserved to get thrown off.
if your foot odor is powerful enough to defeat footwear then get your ass to a dr before your feet rot and fall off.
>>
I'm a /ck/ poster who has recently gotten interested in hiking and camping in the wild for multiple days (up to 3 days, really). The only thing I haven't figured out yet is food. Ideally I'd bring a bunch of fresh food and cook it over an open fire in a small skillet or something but I don't know of a great way to keep it fresh (especially meats). I was thinking brining maybe but I don't know if there's a way to not get salt as fuck meat that way. Never really worked with food outside of a traditional kitchen setting. Of course ideally I'd just keep it all cool but I can't think of a way to do that without adding way too much weight to my pack. Then again, maybe this whole dream of cooking fresh food is unrealistic in the first place due to weight. Any advice? I could only tolerate eating peanuts and beef jerky as *meals* for so long and it feels dangerous to rely on fishing/hunting for survival, especially considering the animal could make you sick if it's infected, etc.
>>
>>1510164
It really depends on the length of the trip. I've done day hikes and brought steak and shit, but longer than that you really shouldn't because yeah you're not going to keep it fresh and you'll probably get sick.

Dry food is what you're going to want to bring, like quick rice and freeze-dried meals like MREs, but there are plenty of brands available that taste much better. For that you'll usually need a small boiling pot, and learn how to make a fire, but there are some that you just add regular water to and react chemically to warm themselves.

Learning how to identify various plants will really help in emergency situation, and the better you get at it the more you can rely on it. The same for mushrooms but you'll want to be very very careful, because there can be more than one species that look exactly alike and are almost unseparable without a microscope and sometimes even genetic testing. One of them could be edible and the other could be deadly, so buying a couple books on identification and field practice before ingesting is key. But there are some like "Hen of the woods" that are very easily identifiable, and the only species that is similar is also edible. Those kinds you'll want to learn, at least to enjoy a delicousy that can't be bought in stores.

You'll definitely want to learn how to fish, trap, dig for oysters, hunt for your protein. This will be almost essential for hiking more than 2 weeks without a plan to resupply, plus it gives you more to do and is fun.
>>
>>1510164
>>1510169
Adding to this.
Once you get good at foraging, you can focus on bringing your two important staples. A fat source (olive oil, lard, coconut, nut) and salt. Realistically, most of what you forage will be low in more these nutrients and you can really stretch out the caloric value of forage foods by adding these to your meal.
>>
>>1510173
Agreed
>>
So, I've never gone """real""" camping before. I'm completely comfortable doing everything required (setting up camp, building a fire, gathering and purifying water, etc.) but I've always done it at primitive camp sites. I've never actually gone to a state forest, picked a direction, and camped somewhere.

Looking at my state's regulations, it's illegal to build a campfire in state forest land outside of designated fire rings. I imagine its probably the same in a lot of places. My questions, how seriously do they take this? Like suppose I hike a few miles into the woods and build a fire, will anyone actually give a shit? I figure they probably wouldn't even know I'm there unless I stay for longer than a night or two, yeah? It's probably silly, I'm just paranoid is all. I guess I could just take a stove but that's no fun.
>>
>>1510533
They take it real serious if they catch you. God help you if the fire gets away.
>>
>>1510594
What's the proper way to /out/ then? Would some kind for self-contained wood stove be acceptable? I would guess not. Should I just give up and get a little gas burner? It sounds like I'm basically SOL unless I own the land or know the guy who owns it.
>>
>>1510533
>Looking at my state's regulations, it's illegal to build a campfire in state forest land outside of designated fire rings. I imagine its probably the same in a lot of places.
Where you at? In PA they allow you to construct a fire-ring with rocks to satisfy that regulation
>>
I'm moving from New England to Iowa. Is there any good camping/hiking in Iowa?
>>
>>1510649
DE. I suppose I could just drive up to PA but the PA state forest situation in southeast PA seems a little lacking, so getting anywhere proper would be an hour or two at least.
>>
>>1498345
The pouch attaches to a pack strap numb nuts
>>
>>1510654
>Delawhere
Ah yeah if you going up to blue mountain in PA (where the AT crosses) that's at least 2 hours away

Check out william penn state forest, the goat hill tract is only 45 minutes from wilmington and dispersed camping is allowed there
https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateForests/FindAForest/WilliamPenn/Pages/default.aspx

Another alternative is assateague island, you can make dispersed beach fires if theyre below the high tide line

>inb4 willing helping out a delnigger
>>
>>1510675
tbf I'm a PA native, I moved to DE recently for work.
>>
How do you guys measure your pack weight?

Is it just your bag + bare essentials
Or do you also include your pack plus the weight of food and water?
>>
What's a list of everything I'd need to spend one or two nights in the wild as a beginner? I've done a fair bit of camping but always with friends so what gear I've had to bring has always been augmented by their more informed choices. And what are some good brands to browse? I've enjoyed my milsurp hiking with friends but I'd like to check out some gear intended for human beings rather than Eastern European conscripts. Bonus points if it has any sort of "vintage aesthetic" but remains actually usable rather than the myriad of "vintage" gear you can find that's chinese mass produced shit.
>>
>>1510780
Everything except the clothes I'm wearing. If you're calculating weight, why would you exclude anything? Essentiality doesn't change the fact that you're carrying it.
>>
>>1510792
1) Pratically Essential
2) High Difficulty W/O
3) Moderate Difficulty W/O
4) Weather Dependant
5) Comfort Item
6) Safety Item

• BackPack (1)
• Water Filter (1)
• Camp Knife + Fish knife (3) (6)
• Lighter (2)
• Sleeping Bag (2) (4)
• Blanket (4) (5)
• Dry Food (2) (6)
• Cooking Pans (5)
• Dog Food (1)
• Fishing Tackle (3)
• Fishing Pole (3)
• Axe (3)
• Extra Clothes (4) (5)
• Towel (4/6) (5)
• Lint with Fuel (5) (4)
• Gun (6)
• First aid (6)
• Camp Stove (4) (5)
• Tobacco (5)
• Toilet paper (3/5)
>>
>>1510792
>shelter system
>fire starter
>water treatment
>medical kit
>cutting tool
>navigation tool
>cooking system
>food
>extra pair of socks
that's about all the "essentials" imo
>>
>>1510799
>>1510798
thank you very much
>>
>>1510798
Maybe leave out the dogfood when recommending what other people should pack.
>>
>>1511082
I really do hate petfags
>>
>>1511082
I just copied and pasted from my notepad, it's for my dog.
>>
>>1511088
So let me get this straight, you enjoy going to where there are wild animals, then get scared when a domesticated one approaches you?

You definitely don't go /out/. Go tell your mom to get you more tenddies.
>>
>>1497530
Yeah you can find it here
https://zpacks.com/products/shoulder-pouch
>>
>>1510798
>towel
>safety item
42 is not the answer, faggot
>>
>>1510780
dry weight is for dick waving faggots. loaded weight (with food and water) is the only important weight.
>>
>>1511176
It means it's a safety item in certain weather, that's why theres a 4 paired with it. If it's raining and there's a chances of hypothermia, that makes it safety. Or winter and you fall in water. I don't usually carry one unless it is raining.

The paired numbers mean they relate to each other. Like how sleeping back is only difficult without in cold weather, in summer I just bring a light blanket.
>>
>>1511190
Sleeping bag*
>>
>>1511176
Here it is simplified for you...
(4/6)= saftey item in certain weather
(5)= otherwise a comfort item.
>>
>>1511162
Not the anon you replied too but where did he say anything about being scared?? Am I missing something?
>>
>>1511194
Most of the anti-dog posters are all about "im gonna shoot it or spray it if it comes near me" and the only reason for that is being scared or an entitled dick. Yes I'm assuming, but that attitude is the norm around here.
>>
>>1511177
But that's something that varies depending on the individual's requirements (calorie and water consumption) as well as the trip length and conditions (both for resupply as well as how much food/water is needed)and it will steadily get lighter as the trip progresses.
Dry weight makes the most sense if you're just weighing the pack.
>>
>>1510780
>>1511177
>>1511229
I mean clearly the obvious, non-brainlet thing to do is measure both.
>>
Are the Vidda Pros a meme or are they actually good?
>>
>>1511198
I ain't most posters faggot. Including dog food as an essential was pretty self absorbed of you. I don't give a shit about dogs or cats except for /pol/ reasons that would be off topic.
>>
>>1511246

They're good. I find sizing can vary depending on the model. I've got a few pairs of trousers and a few pairs of shorts in different models.
Might be worth trying them on in a store, or if ordering online, if you can afford to, order a few pairs in various models and sizes, then return what you don't want.
What /out/ activities will you be using them for?
>>
>>1511265
>Self absorbed
Kek 7/10
>>
>>1511266
general bushcraft / bugout
>>
>>1511268
Not the one what flew off the handle when I found out somebody didn't like my doggie. I get it, you copied the list, but my hate of petfags has only been reinforced here.
>>
>>1511198
got it, thanks
>>
How do I deal with paranoia while being out ? I always get the feeling I'm being followed and even when I sit trying to relax and enjoy the view I always end up looking behind me every 2 minutes, is it normal ? I always do this even when I'm in an assumed safe environement.

I think I developped this paranoia from living in a shit city filled with niggers but fuck, I can't even relax when away from all this it's kinda depressing
>>
>>1511285
>Flew off the handle
0/10 you should have stopped while it was still funny.
>>
>>1511285
>Flew off the handle
0/10 you should have stopped while it was still funny.
>>
>>1511301
>>1511302
I hate AT&T
>>
>>1511302
I could say the same to you
(At least we share a hatred of AT&T)
>>
>>1511190
>Needing a towel to dry off
Just get a shirt that's good against wind and dries quickly and wipe yourself off with that.
Not like it'll help out any worse in rain since you won't stay dry or when falling in water since the problem is more so that all of your stuff is soaked.
>>
>>1511350
If it's raining I use it to dry off in the tent before getting in my sleeping bag.

>Just get a shirt that's good against wind and dries quickly and wipe yourself off with that.

Why would I spend money on that when I already have a towel. You keep ignoring that I acknowledged it as a comfort item in most scenarios, so your elitism is kinda out of place.
>>
File: IMG_1064.jpg (815 KB, 1500x1251)
815 KB
815 KB JPG
Hypothetically speaking, if you were backpacking or vagabonding and you wanted to have some emergency money, could you store tiny nuggets of gold on your body? Something that like https://youtu.be/PeGDBR0Ej_0?t=41
>>
>>1511427
Why would you want to? Just carry a wallet retard. And if you're paranoid enough about getting mugged to hide things under your skin, you probably never leave your neet-cave anyway.
>>
Going for light camping with some friends and beers this weekend. Am I missing anything?
Clothes (+extra socks/underwear), tent, sleeping pad, two tarps, big knife, small knife, first aid, space blanket, big wool blanket, sleeping bag, cast iron pan, bacon, hot dogs, oatmeal, mess kit, water, bag o apples, hat, camp chair.
>>
I'm going on my first camping trip this weekend! For the first time I'll actually sleep in a tent in some woods!

Was there some advice that you wish you knew, when you went on your first trip? Any tips or things that I should be aware of, that aren't obvious to first-timers?
>>
>>1511603
Bring TP, extra socks, water and something to scare the beasties away
>>
>>1511575
>Am I missing anything?
I'm a noob myself, but how are you going to cook anything without something to start a fire? And you could probably take a torchlight, toilet paper, bug spray. Take a map if you're unfamiliar with the terrain and want to do some hiking. Don't forget about your phone and money in case of emergency. And most importantly: take some condoms.
>>
>>1511608
My buddies have wood/matches.
I didn't mention stuff like phone, money, toothbrush, etc but I have that all packed.
>>
>>1511604
>something to scare the beasties away
Uhhh... How do I scare away a wild animal? What tool would you use? Isn't shouting at them enough?
>>
>>1511615
Gun, 2 bricks slapped together, a particularly intimidating tooth brush. It just depends on the animal. The only animal that won't actively avoid you is a hungry bear or cougar. But I've had a dumb raccoon wonder through my camp not smelling or hearing me, then get pissed when he realized I was there. He came at me and I started kicking the absolute shit out of him, he scratched my leg up good but at least I didn't get bit. I finally got my foot on his back and stepped down until he squealed, then I let him up and he ran off. Another time I had a coyote do the same, but he ran off as soon as he realized I was there.

Just remember with bears
Brown: lay down
Black: fight back
White: pray
Man in a fur suit: fire
>>
>>1511619
Ah I see - thanks for the tips Anon, I appreciate them!
>>
>>1511615
The holy Bible, salt, silver
>>
>>1511427
Crown royal type bag around the neck with silver coin
>>
What kind of wood is good for a hiking stick?
>>
>>1512078
The kind that don't break
>>
Merino wool shirt for summer: yay or nay? Also, what's considered good mid and outer layers (what kind of fabric, design, etc)?

I've started hiking in February wearing jeans, a cotton t-shirt and an old PU leather jacket: I'm always too cold or too hot and I sweat so much I smell like ass. I'm a cheap fuck but after trying merino wool socks, I want to get proper hiking clothing.
>>
Oh fug, it turns out that cheap sleeping bag + cheap tent + 2' C outdoors = I'm freezing.

Is there something I can buy that will keep me warm, but doesn't cost a lot and doesn't weight a lot? Are those thermal blankets that you can find in first aid kits just a meme?
>>
>>1512300
Oh, it turns out that the air mattress isn't a good alternative for a thermal pad.
>>
>>1512300
Find some coyotes and cuddle up with them. You'll never have to spend a dime again!
>>
File: 65131.gif (1.39 MB, 375x375)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB GIF
how the fuck do I learn anything about tracking animals?
Is there a guide or book that treats me like I've never set foot outside before?
>>
>>1512300
You can turn a cheap sleeping bag into a decent one if you buy sleeping bag liners.

To be honest, I usually just take two liners and put one inside the other and that’s enough warmth for me.
>>
>>1512300
Also forgot to mention. Yes they work, BUT they make a much better insulator if you lay them on top of your tent and under your rain fly. It traps in heat much better then simply wrapping it around yourself, at least that’s what I have found
>>
>>1512320
No white man, your kind has lost this skill. Go back to your "civilization" and leave the man's work to my people.
>>
>>1512322
>>1512323
Thanks a lot Anon, I didn't know that bag liners were a thing!

>>1512315
There are no coyotes in Poland :^(
>>
>>1512500
>There are no coyotes in Poland :^(
Just step it a notch and find a wolfie.
>>
>>1512300
The cheapness of the tent isn't your problem. It's only the sleeping bag and the insulated mat underneath that you should rely on to keep you warm. Sleeping bag liners help, also wear all your clothes.
>>
>>1512320
Ray Meares started as a boy with tracking just one animal (foxes) in the snow.
>>
>>1511296
Meditate, and focus, by becoming truly aware of your surroundings, you'll actually be able to tell whether something is near you or observing you. Look at your surroundings, any signs of people or life, study and understand them, listen to everything and try to pick out any distinct sounds. Once you're able to do this, you'll be able to relax, because you will KNOW when you are or aren't being watched.
>>
>>1512320
Google it niggy
>>
>>1512540
>also wear all your clothes.
I thought sleeping bags were specifically designed to be effective with you wearing as little clothing as possible, with clothes just being a hindrance for the bag to reflect your body head back at you.
>>
>>1512767
Your clothes insulate you the same way your sleeping bag does, your bag will reflect the same amount of lost heat back at you if it has that property but you will be losing less heat to begin with due to your clothing and while it may have had to warm your insulation if it was cold you have to consider that if you're losing heat your insulation is warm already.
Your problems with your clothing will be largely because it's more difficult to adjust your clothing than it is to undo a zipper (Temperature will vary and you will get hotter or colder) as well as the fact that tight clothing will restrict your circulation.
If your clothing is loose fitting, wear it.

Though since my feet always freeze in the night regardless of how warm the rest of me is I generally try to move my clothing to stop that.
>>
>>1512320
A tracking snow is the best way to learn. Guess you will be waiting a bit.
>>
What's a good way to learn to identify trees, edibles, and other plants?
>>
>>1511296
Stop doing drugs
>>
>>1512811
Books and someone with experience
>>
>>1510164
Fresh meat really only works for the first day. I'll freeze the steak before I leave and wrap it in foil before packing. It's usually thawed or close to it by the time we set up camp. After that it's usually canned chicken or spam, with whatever veg we can forage/carry.
>>
Are bag liners made out of silk worth it or are cotton ones good enough?
I mean, it's something that will last me years, so it makes sense to buy something a bit better, but I don't want want to spend money without a good reason either.
>>
File: 1557409859179.png (417 KB, 1014x1080)
417 KB
417 KB PNG
Why didn't you guys tell me that mosquito repellent fucks with waxing?
>>
>>1513357
silk
>comfier
>lighter
>packs smaller
>dries quicker
>more expensive
IMO the only reasons to use a liner are if you want to keep your bag clean and if you don't like the feel of your bags liner material. Most of these things can also be sorted by having some sleep clothes. I've given up on liner desu.
>>
>>1513419
Just think of what that poison is doing to your skin lel.
>>
>>1513433
>IMO the only reasons to use a liner are if you want to keep your bag clean and if you don't like the feel of your bags liner material.
What about thermal comfort? I want to buy myself a liner to get comfier sleep in my cheap, thin sleeping bag.
>>
>>1513483
Unless you are buying a heavy fleece liner, then you aren't really going to get much of a ratings boost. Even the fleece liners, ime, are super optimistic with how much they claim to boost a bag. Realistically you are never going to push a bag much beyond it's intended temp range. Unless you are using an expensive bag like a katabatic or western mountaineering one, these companies are known to be very conservative with their ratings.
>>
>>1513512
I guess I'll just buy a better sleeping bag then - thanks for sharing your thoughts.
>>
>>1513608
I bought the Coleman 0°f/-17°c sleeping bag for, if I remember correctly, ~$30. I've slept in snow without a sleeping mat or bag liners on multiple occasions and it works just fine. I'm pretty sure sleeping mats and bag liners are a meme, I've never needed either and have camped in snow and bellow 0°f temperatures.
>>
>>1510629
Logically a little wood burning stove isn't a campfire. Legally I'm not sure, you'd have to check your laws. A little gas stove is nice, quick but the fuel cans are overpriced.
>>
this thread kills board
>>
would this be a good board to start a thread asking about how to get into carpentry, with a future goal to building a small house?
>>
>>1513630
That would be better in /diy/
>>
>>1513627
No, fags like you do.
>>
>>1513626
White gas/ international liquid fuel stoves have cheap fuel.
>>
>>1513635
why defensive
>>
>>1497527
What do you do outdoors?
>>
>>1513619
I'll try to look up your bag - thanks for recommendation, it sounds like a really good deal.
But sleeping mats aren't a meme, I assure you - buying one turned my nights in my shitty, cheap bag from "shit, it's so cold I'm going to get sick" into "it's alright; could be slightly warmer, but its not a big deal".
>>
>>1513654
I'm probably an outliner here, but for me sleeping in a tent is just a cheaper alternative to sleeping in a hostel when I'm visiting a different city.
>>
>>1513654
hike, camp, shoot, climb, fish, work
>>
>>1513675
>work
What work?

>>1513671
Probably more relaxing too.
>>
>>1513667
I can definitely see how it's an essential supplement for a shity sleeping bag. But for me it's worth the money to buy a good sleeping bag rather than sleeping bag plus mat. Plus it's just less to carry.
>>
>>1513619
>>1513683
Snow is an insulator, genius. The pad is to insulate you from the ground, which will sap away heat. A better sleeping bag will do nothing to help with this, since the filling below you is compressed by your body weight.
>>
>>1513680
>What work?
arborist
>>
>>1513720
Sometimes I think I should strike camp and do something like that or forester or something.
Must be nice
>>
>>1513728
I've never really worked a 'normal' job so don't know what I'm missing. Was a push bike messenger in London before this. It's good work and self emplyed so I just pack it in to go hiking. But you don't always work on perfect trees, or have big fun things to do. Being in an office seems really appealing when you scrabbling through some shitty, dusty, conifer in a crap graden. Getting covered in grime, bird shit, and being scratched to pieces by all the little bits of dead wood.
>>
hey /out/, /k/ommando here. is a makarov acceptable for going innawoods where there are no bears? ofc skinwakers
I'm thinking of getting a glock 20 or 40 just to feel safe in downing a feral hiker or something in one shot, although the glock 40 is a staggering 45 ounces loaded. I am 6'6 but the long slide seems ridiculous.
>>
>>1513712
Snow AND below 0 weather. Learn to read. Maybe you just suck at camping?
>>
File: she 84 x.jpg (1.09 MB, 2576x1932)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
>>1513753
i know shot placement is everything but 9x18 mak is kinda meh, there aren't good defensive rounds for sale in the US, so that's why I'm thinking about a 10mm glock for going /out/ to deal with cougars, skinwalkers, etc.
>>
>>1513771
never mind i'm retarded, there are jhp defensive 9x18 mak rounds. I might use my cz82 because it is 13 oz lighter and quite compact, and it has a lanyard loop.
I still might get a glock40 10mm long slide tho, fuck it
>>
Any specific recommendations for books on plant identification in PA, or northeast US in general?
>>
File: no bully.jpg (90 KB, 1117x808)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
Should I? Oil and stone are for hatchet
>>
>>1513870
also good backpack recommendations with good support for heavy/long hiking?
>>
why is this board dead, where yall outdoor niggas at
>>
>>1513870
i'd ditch the oil. just use water
>>
>>1513873
>>1513891
thanks anon
are you learned on supportive hiking backpacks?
>>
>>1513884
Most of the questions being asked now belong on /k/. So it's probably because no one here gives a shit about which antique rifle some larper wants to carry while hiking.
>>
>>1513898
Different anon, but this is what I've used for 2 years and have had no issues. When I don't bring a rifle, I'll put 2 fishing poles on the rifle holder. Very comfortable, and keeps the weight at my waist no matter how much I carry.
>>
>>1513906
Forgot to paste the link... https://www.amazon.com/ALPS-OutdoorZ-Commander-Pack-Bag/dp/B004R7L7YU/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=hiking+backpack+with+rifle+holder&qid=1557715864&s=gateway&sprefix=hiking+backpack+with+rifle&sr=8-3
>>
>>1513898
Unfortunately no, I probably have too much subpar gear.
>>
>>1513904
no one on /k/ really goes in the woods in a meaningfullly /out/ way. I never mentioned antique rifles either. Your jimmies, are they perhaps rustled?
>>1513906
>>1513908
thanks very much anon. That seems perfect. I'm going to take a lightweight 6.5 CM bolt and a small handgun
>>
>>1513916
Maybe not you, but the latest questions I see are /k/ related. I've seen people complain, on multiple threads, that this thread is dead. Looking through the last couple of questions, I see most are gun related, better asked on /k/ because you don't "need" a rifle hiking. If someone was worried about bears and cougars, a .45 will do fine despite what unexperienced speculators will tell you.

Either way, if you want to take a rifle, take what you're comfortable with. I take a Chiappa m6 with me for small game and foul. Plus it's fun to plink around with, and I'm not gonna bring anything higher caliber unless I'm specifically hunting big game. This pack has done me all around good, and has a freighter frame for carrying large amounts of meat back to camp, so if you do hunt big game it becomes multipurpose.
>>
>>1513916
>>1513923
>>
File: hmmm..jpg (165 KB, 1885x887)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
>>1513925
??? is /out/ this pleb?
>>
>>1513870
The oil doesn't do anything desu. Also, those inflatable pillows are kinda pointless. I have one, it seemed like a good idea, but honestly it doesn't get any use because bunching up a spare piece of clothing to use as a pillow is both more practical and more comfortable.

But it's not like the really take up any space so do what you want.
>>
>>1513937
No, Just more realistic and real world experienced.
>>
>>1513937
If being pleb means I actually go /out/ and not just internet role play, then I'm ok being a pleb.
>>
File: 1527860809966.jpg (517 KB, 1280x1669)
517 KB
517 KB JPG
>>1513942
wew
>>
>>1513938
is that tent ok in your opinion anon?
>>
>>1513950
I don't use a tent, so I wouldn't know.
>>
>>1513954
how do you sleep mon frere
>>
>>1513959
hammock gang
>>
>>1513962
can you redpill me on a hammock so i may become one with your gang or clique?
>>
>>1513963
They're peak comfy
>>
>>1513963
Both are good, try both and find which is more comfortable. I've tried both and find them more appealing in different climates. I've found where there are more invasive bugs, tents were better for me. But others may feel differently.
>>
>>1513968
>I've found where there are more invasive bugs, tents were better for me.
I've heard that mosquitos in some places will stab right through everything if you're in a hammock. I don't have enough experience, but I basically did encounter super mosquitos in New Orleans so it makes sense.
>>
>>1513976
Just treat your hammock with permethrin, little bastards will die on contact.
>>
>>1513976
If you're talking about these. They are actually craneflys, and don't bite. But yea, I've had mosquitoes bite through my hammock, but the worst bugs in a hammock were the horseflies and bees. But if I'm not camping near water I like a hammock.
>>
File: 1496777488181.jpg (67 KB, 536x632)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
Beginner here
Is there any guide on hunting small game with a slingshot or a bow? What about trapping small game? What about possible diseases they carry?
>>
>>1514240
YouTube desu is gonna be your best bet, then it's just practice and patience. As for desieses you need to look at your state/countries advisorys.
>>
>>1514279
Tbh* why the fuck did that change to desu? I've literally never typed that before.
>>
On particularly long hikes, how do you guys wash your clothes? Do you even wash your clothes? Like I imagine if I was out for more than a week or so, and I wanted to carry more useful things than socks or underwear, I'd probably wash them.

>>1514281
leave newfag
>>
>>1514291
>Leave new fag
Summer friend detected
>>
>>1514308
baka desu
>>
>>1514279
thanks for the reply
youtube is cancer so I came here first
maybe got some guide for a trap for rabbits or something?
>>
>>1514363
If you stick to betamale gamer channels maybe. There is still plenty of educational material still available. I haven't gone to a mechanic in years, using YouTube to learn how to replace car parts myself. I also learned about trapping using YouTube and have had great luck with it. I'd give you some tips, but if you really want to learn, use every recourse you can. Don't let memes and 4chan form your world view for you, practice some independent thinking.
>>
>>1514363
Box traps btw, But get ready to see some dead house cats. I've set them pretty far into the woods but still get cats sometimes.
>>
Trying to get into wild camping. I try to go relatively light, but I realized i might have to take a shit while i'm /out/ there, and i'm not sure what the best way is to go about this.

Should I carry a trowel with me?
>>
>>1514590
Shit in river
>>
>>1514590
Yeah, of course. Toilet paper is the more important part. But you should always have that in your pack for emergencies or just to clear out swamp ass.
>>
Thinking of going camping this weekend but this would be the first time I've gone alone. What stuff should I do or be aware of when alone compared to with friends? I'll be car camping in my 4runner if that makes and difference
>>
>>1514857
If you're just in your car, you wouldn't need to worry about animals. But depending on where you are, maybe carry a gun.
>>
>>1514879
I was already planning on bringing my handgun. Was probably going to find some dispersed camping which should be in national Forest so I'll probably be able to do some shooting too. Figured I'll bring a book and maybe my switch as some Pokemon while camping sounds pretty comfy
>>
>>1514888
Are you just trying to rile up the board, and start arguments?
>>
>>1514895
No, but in some ways yes. I don't see the problem bringing a game to play at night. If youre alone you can't just hang out and talk, it's going to be pretty dark for reading.
>>
>>1514898
The only /out/ trigger phrase you forgot to include was "off leash dog."

Dude just do what makes you happy and fuck off. If you want to argue about retarded shit, can you do it on Reddit?
>>
>>1514899
Or /b/ /pol/ and /r9k/. Those are the boards for it.
>>
>>1514898
If you want to argue about this shit just start a thread on it. Quit trying to kill the QTDDTOT thread.
>>
>>1514927
I really wasn't trying to start shit, I was curious what people here do when camping alone. Obviously just hiking and that kind of stuff during the day but as evening comes
>>
>>1514937
I prefer to kill off leash dogs when camping alone
>>
So today I was at work, pruning a few trees in someone's garden, and I needed to take a leak. Most places I work have a handy bush, or out-the-way spot to take a leak in, however, this garden was pretty neat and there was no shelter to get behind. Plus both the clients were in their kitchen watching me work (something I hate but I won't get into that). So, even though I don't really like doing it, I had to ask them to use their bathroom. They were cool with it and showed me where it was. When I lift the lid of the toilet I saw a fresh skid mark on the back of the bowl, so obviously one of them had just taken a dump. As I started to piss, the force of my urine stirred up the water in the bowl and, for lack of a better word, 'wooshed' something that was hidden further down the pipe into my line of sight, something that was originally out of view. It was a worm. Not a garden worm, a thin, brownish worm, a couple of mm thick and maybe 3-4 cm long. I watched it squirm around while I finished taking a leak, and for a bit more after I'd finished. How did the worm get in there? Seeing as the client must of just taken a shit, hence the fresh skid mark in the bowl, I couldn't but help thinking maybe it had come from inside one them! Either way, I flushed the toilet, thanked them for letting me use it, and headed back to finish my work. I spent the rest of the day trying to work out whether I should tell them. Surely if someone had worms they would know and wouldn't need informing? Is it any of my business? But I couldn't help thinking, maybe they don't know and this infestation within them was going to grow and grow.

What would you have done?
>>
>>1516226
>So today I was at work, pruning a few trees in someone's garden, and I needed to take a leak. Most places I work have a handy bush, or out-the-way spot to take a leak in, however, this garden was pretty neat and there was no shelter to get behind. Plus both the clients were in their kitchen watching me work (something I hate but I won't get into that). So, even though I don't really like doing it, I had to ask them to use their bathroom. They were cool with it and showed me where it was. When I lift the lid of the toilet I saw a fresh skid mark on the back of the bowl, so obviously one of them had just taken a dump. As I started to piss, the force of my urine stirred up the water in the bowl and, for lack of a better word, 'wooshed' something that was hidden further down the pipe into my line of sight, something that was originally out of view. It was a worm. Not a garden worm, a thin, brownish worm, a couple of mm thick and maybe 3-4 cm long. I watched it squirm around while I finished taking a leak, and for a bit more after I'd finished. How did the worm get in there? Seeing as the client must of just taken a shit, hence the fresh skid mark in the bowl, I couldn't but help thinking maybe it had come from inside one them! Either way, I flushed the toilet, thanked them for letting me use it, and headed back to finish my work. I spent the rest of the day trying to work out whether I should tell them. Surely if someone had worms they would know and wouldn't need informing? Is it any of my business? But I couldn't help thinking, maybe they don't know and this infestation within them was going to grow and grow.
>What would you have done?

As this thread is on bump limit I'll copy it over to the new one once it's up.
>>
>>1514363
>Mike Reed Outdoors, Muskrat Outdoors, Dave Canterbury all on yt
>YT is cancer, how do trap?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.