[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 88 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: 15501_10710_popup.jpg (139 KB, 800x800)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
I really want an axe to call my own but I have no spare income and can't ask my parents for money. I really want something that can truly be mine and I could pass down to my children but I only have like 50 or so dollars saved. I don't want a synthetic handle because I've tried it out on other to tools and just can't get behind it. Sorry for the bad format, I'm on mobile. Any help /out/?
>>
It's real sadboi hours out here
>>
Buy a old, used axe head, costs couple of dollars. Then find some dead and seasoned piece of wood from the forest and start whittling. You'll end up with something horrible at first but you'll be doing it again soon because the handle will fail or the head will fly off. It's all part of the learning process. Eventually you'll have a working tool that didn't cost you anything. I'm actually kinda jealous, would be a cool project to see what kind of tool one can come up with with minimal cost. Shit, I might try that myself.
>>
>>1493440
Cold Steel Trail Boss 27 inch axe. Had mine for like two years. Just recently sanded the handle and applied Tung oil. The blade is a V nice shape and I have mine pretty sharp.
>>
>>1493440
>Live with your parents
>No job

Anon what do you honestly need an axe for? It kind of only has two purposes: Knocking down trees and making firewood.

As a non-property owner I think you could benefit more from a hatchet.
>>
>>1493440
comb through thrift stores of a quality axe head of your desired shape and size

buy a hickory handle online in the shape and size you want or look at local hardware store

haft it yourself, probably the best and cheapest way to do it to be honest
>>
You only have 50$ to your name and your main concern is finding a cool axe?
>>
>>1493440
>on mobile
Sell your phone and buy an axe
>>
council tool boys axe, expensive axes are a meme
>>
>>1493440
If you can't afford a couple hundred dollar axe, why the fuck are you trying to get an heirloom? You're looking into it too early.
>>
>>1493440
>I could pass down to my children
son, we all know you aren't going to be reproducing.
>>
>>1493440
>go to hardware store
>buy $35 wood handled Michigan axe
>keep it sharp
>keep it clean
>don't do stupid shit outside its intended use
I'm going to leave out the part about handing it down to your kids, because you can't support a family and on the off chance you get some ho-bag pregnant the kid's stepdad will teach him what he needs to know.
>>
>$50 in savings
Motherfucker, why is this even a question, you dont need an axe right now, you need to get your shit in order.
>>
I've seen so much shilling from literally EVERYONE for Gransfors axes that it's getting a bit suspicious...

Has the swedish jew paid everyone off to indicate there are no other high quality axes out there?
>>
File: 0kyFa.jpg (137 KB, 600x401)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>1494169
nah man
it's just a way for city dwellers to look and feel fashionably manly for their instragram and grinder profiles.

it was once mesh back trucker caps, vinyl records, fixed gear cycles, and craft beer.
Artisan axes are just the latest requirement for the lumbersexual in their quest for authenticity. Without an axe the flannel shirt, rolled cuff jeans, beards, and Blundstone boots just scream "HIPSTER", and the worst thing a hipster can ever be called is a hipster.
>>
>>1493440
Just get an old axe head at a yard sale or flea market (~5€, 10 if it's in really nice condition), some hickory or ash wood large enough to make the handle (10€ if you buy it) and put some work into it. Any new axe you'll get for 50 bucks is going to take much more work than restoring an old one.
>I really want something that can truly be mine
restoring an old axe to your own specifications is about as close as you can get unless you're a skilled blacksmith.
>I could pass down to my children
A good axe head lasts centuries. My three primary axes have heads from the 18th century (two of them) and the interwar era (the third) and still work just fine. They've all gotten new handles multiple times though.
>>
>>1494169
>>1494254
I own one gransfors axe, and I am VERY unimpressed with it, needed to thin the grind a lot and thin the handle. not even hung very straight either. Its absolute larper gear
>>
>>1494169
Probably because they are the best production axe out there.
>>1494320
>and thin the handle
They have had the same profile going on a century now. They're made for men not soimen. I mean that's fucking ridiculous if that handle is too big for you. And if the axe head isn't straight that shit happens. The company is very open about fixing that.
>>
>>1494322
Well guys we just found someone who doesn't actually use an axe
>>
>>1494329
I do because I prefer axes over the trend of using bushcraft knives. To me it's a far superior tool for processing firewood. I haven't seen anything that's not a custom or a restored old piece that compares to the small forest axe.

Now their sharpening stones/files while nice are pricy.
>>
>>1494336
Chopping a few bits of kindling and making feathersticks makes you an expert on axes does it?

Gransfors handles are thick as fuck, and this is a problem because of shock. the fact you didn't know this and immediately assumed 'small hands lol' means you have never chopped for over 2 hours in your life. get learnt': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1n8lFmE7RE&t=287s

Their grinds are crap from the factory because they are way too thick. In this video you can see a much cheaper rinaldi demolish the much heavier scandinavian axe because the rinaldi has a thinner grind, there is no magic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TdggZYSCfk&t=34s
>>
>>1494342
>Gransfors handles are thick as fuck,
>post a soiboi chopping wood
Kid, I have axes from the turn of the century, some with the same handle still. They are the same thickness or thicker than the Gränsfors. If that handle is too think for you got bigger problem like your wrists breaking.
>Their grinds are crap from the factory because they are way too thick
If you don't like that kind of grind I don't know what to tell you since the thicker grinds are a lot better in general then the pick axes grinds you see on modern axes. That's standard across European axes and early american axes.

Oh and I fully agree that if your test of an axe is walking out in your backyard and hacking away at a dead tree like a retard in your larp gear or favorite brand T then the slimmer profiles do that better. There's a whole family of axes made just for that task. If you want to do actual real tasks like processing firewood you don't want that garbage.
>>
>>1494346
Total bullshit
>>
>>1494342
beard and a flannel shirt. he must know a lot about axes
>>
>>1494346
>That's standard across European axes and early american axes.
Not him, but while I don't know about american axes, that's simply not true for european axes. In (northern and central) europe, most axes (basically everything that isn't either 10€ china scrap or meant for splitting) have a thin, often even hollow grinds. most carpenter's axes are hollow and sharp enough to shave with and felling, planing and carving axes usually have a flat or hollow grind as well.
>>
>>1494401
He does, cuts a lot of wood with one
>>
>an heirloom axe
>heirloom
>axe
Are you brain damaged?
1) I think you should bigger concerns than getting a potential heirloom given your living conditions and savings
2) it's a utility tool, unless your getting Thorvald Thorvaldson's viking axe from 800 A.D. it's hardly worth passing on. Just get a hatchet from Home Depot for like, $15 it'll serve you better in the long run.
>>
File: wp_20227.jpg (177 KB, 800x600)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
Axes aren't heirlooms, they are tools and there is a lot of types for a lot of different jobs and different woods
>>
File: wp_20229.jpg (112 KB, 800x1067)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>1493440
Invest your 50 dollars into something that can earn you money and save the larping for when you can afford it, without your parents
>>
>>1494371
>>1494419
Show me a picture of a non modern european axe with this profile that's meant for tree cutting.
>>
>>1494460
What do you want, an old european axe, an old non european axe, or an old non european axe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE2klxBE8QM&list=FLFuQG2KIdIbvS6YQTODmz3g&index=3&t=915s
>>
File: 2.jpg (33 KB, 256x480)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>1494346
gansfors american felling axe vs stock tuatahi handle, bear in mind the gransfors is intended for a 3.5lb axe and the tutahi is left thick for extra control racing. its thicc trash, period
>>
File: 3.jpg (48 KB, 256x480)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>1494489
>>1494346
>>
File: 1.jpg (20 KB, 256x480)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>1494346
>>1494322
Thinned gransfors grind (stock was much thicker) vs council tool boys axe. One was £25 and comes with a far better handle too, gues which one that was?
>>
>>1494485
Maybe look up hewing and splitting axe kid. Then you'll know why they are narrow and why I don't use them.
>>1494489
>>1494490
>>1494492
>racing axes
I'm loving how you kids go out of your way to compare an axe that in absolutely and I mean absolutely has no comparison to another. Like one idiot is trying to say a hewing axe is better than a hatchet and you're now talking about racing axes. Racing axes handles need to small...
>>
>>1494496
Why do racing axe handles need to be small and not work axes? This is double down bullshit. You know what buddy keep paying ludicrous money on literal TRASH if you want but every time you try to shill and convince others to do the same its embarrassing
>>
>>1494498
That means a lot. Keep telling me how I should use a hewing axe for firewood work.
>Why do racing axe handles need to be small and not work axes?
Go watch a video. See how they are used and held.
>>
File: 1.jpg (30 KB, 478x347)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>1494500
Your the only one talking about hewing axes. No I want you to explain why a massively thick handle is better for work so i can be amused by your no doubt retarded and based off fuck all argument
>>
>>1494502
Because a heavy axe and correctly sized handle is comfortable and easy to control. Racing axes it's all about resetting as fast as you can for the next swing.
>Your the only one talking about hewing axes
Again, at least two anons including you are talking about narrow profile axes and one of them posted a video of a hewing axe,
>>
>>1494503
wasn't a hewing axe, it was a medieval chopping axe he just so happened to do some carpentry with. Narrow profiles are excellent fro chopping.
> Racing axes it's all about resetting as fast as you can for the next swing
kek, you really are clueless. How does a 'thin' handle help that exactly? how does a thick handle improve normal work? lmao here
>>
>>1494505
>wasn't a hewing axe, it was a medieval chopping axe
Man I fucked up the terminology of a two tools used for the same task. Fuck me big time.
>kek, you really are clueless. How does a 'thin' handle help that exactly? how does a thick handle improve normal work? lmao here
Gee I don't know soikid? How could having less mass to move around allow you to reset for another swing faster? Hmm this is going to require a lot of thought.

Any axe with a thin handle is not meant for serious work. Along with being uncomfortable, that shit is just going to break when you miss strike. Really not sure why this needs explaining.
>>
File: 1.jpg (17 KB, 480x318)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>1494510
>miss strike
axeman worth his salt doesn't miss
>less mass to move around
No, just no. I know a few guys who race and they like their handles thicker than normal for control

I would recommend lurking more larper boy, but you can continue to argue if you want, im up for another laugh
>>
File: 1514755943022.gif (74 KB, 498x370)
74 KB
74 KB GIF
>>1494511
>lol just don't miss!
That's easy for you suburbanite. Trying to have that kind of hand eye coordination when your wet in sub freezing temps is tough. It's tough any time of the year really when you've been going all day long.
>I know a few guys who race and they like their handles thicker than normal for control
It's almost like some people have personal preference.
>>
>>1494514
>Dont miss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc0mdjknbPM&t=767s
do you think this bloke ever misses? fuck off and come back when you can actually swing an axe
For racing you can put up with a bit thicker because its used for a short time. For work axes however if your personal preference is tennis elbow then go right ahead!
>>
>>1494518
All the men in that video are swinging axes with handles thicker than your soiwirsts would ever handle.
>>
>>1494519
look pretty thin to me faglord.
>>
>>1494522
Nope. Those double headed axes in particular have thick handles. At least the American ones like that.
>>
>>1494524
You got fucking calipers that can measure a video?
says the man who thinks missing is normal and not just poor skill
>>
>>1494526
>You got fucking calipers that can measure a video?
No I have actual experience with axes of that time period.
>>
>>1494527
So you would know it was common practice of professional loggers to take a new axe, thin the handle and grind then?
>>
>>1494535
There's tons of customized handles from that period. But almost all of them are thick by your standards/race axe standards.
>>
File: 1.jpg (146 KB, 1362x533)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>1494536
They may be a bit thicker because they are 36'' normally, which as more flex. But bringing it back to a gransfors 32" with zero flex at all, that is TRASH. You still have not provided a single advantage of thicker handles other than coping with your lack of skill
>>
>>1493440
Council tool is probably the best you can get for your budget. But like others said, if you have $50 in savings it isn't something I would focus on.
>>1494322
>>1494419
>>1494346
In the old days axe handles were thin, thin handles absorb shock better. Thick handles are a modern thing.
>>
>>1494552
>In the old days axe handles were thin, thin handles absorb shock better. Thick handles are a modern thing.
Actual examples of the time period say otherwise, champ. Unless you're talking about something pre 19th century.
>>
>>1494554
Late 19th early 20th most pictures I've seen show thinner handles. That's when American logging was at its peak. There are a lot of old. Books showing that also.
>>
>>1494561
I have/have had real axes from then. They tend to be my favorite. Their handles are not thin. None of them really ever came with a thin handle either.
>>
File: 2.jpg (146 KB, 1000x592)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>1494554
These handles look thin as fuck
Stop trying to shill for crap handles
>>
File: 1.jpg (257 KB, 1100x650)
257 KB
257 KB JPG
>>1494563
Again, super thin. When are you going to post a single picture, video or book source, since so far you have provided nothing except your own bullshit
>>
>>1494564
>>1494565
You can tell from the pictures those are not thin handles. Go actually hold one of these axes. Is this some kind of troll I'm unaware of or are you kids really this ignorant about axes?
>>
>>1494569
SHOW SOME FUCKING EVIDENCE FOR ANYTHING YOU SAY JESUS FUCKING CHRIST
>>
>>1494569
They are thin and curved, as are most depictions from the time. If you have an axe from that time it most likely doesn't have an original handle on it, thin handles absorb shock better and are less prone the breaking.
>>
>>1494571
What do you want kid? Me to scan the books I have? Go fuck yourself. You can google this information. Military and RR axes have detailed information about the handles.

They're about the same as Gränsfors Bruks except shape differences.
>>
>>1494577
Thin handles crack. And no those axes do not use thin handles.What retard are you parroting this shit from?
>>
>>1494578
BULL FUCKING SHIT. send link or FUCK RIGHT OFF CUNT
>>
>>1494580
Go read a book nigger.
>>
File: 4.jpg (20 KB, 350x420)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>1494579
>>1494578
>>
File: 2.jpg (29 KB, 256x480)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>1494581
What like this one? ya fucking inbred retard
>>
>>1494582
>>1494583
Now compare the width of the handle to a modern axe like a fiskers or some other polymer shit. They're far wider.
>>
>>1494586
I have my great grandfathers axe, handle is thin as fuck compared to gransfors or anything modern. Again, back up your claim or fuck right off. Its clear you are a larping collector who hasn't chopped a cord in their life otherwise you wouldn't be claiming such nonsense and bullshit
>>
File: 1.png (110 KB, 960x867)
110 KB
110 KB PNG
>>1494591
Never shown you any hewing axes cunt. Your origional handles do not exist untill you post a fucking picture. The very book i linked has no recommended handle thickness, but does explicitly state a handle that does not flex will fuck you up.

It is clear that you do not use axes, but also do not even have the mental capacity to comprehend the sources i have provided. You are fucking retarded beyond belief
>>
Newfag here, should is it bad if i sharpen only the tip of the axe blade? Am i supposed to sharpen the entire bevel? Just got an estwing and sharpened it up nice but most things online mention sharpening the entire bevel and having it be smooth.
>>
>>1493460
But it costs a couple of dollars
>>
>>1493460
>costs a couple of dollars
maybe 5 years ago
>>
File: 60588605.jpg (75 KB, 960x960)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>the axe experts are at it again
>>
jesus what is this shit I started just by asking about Gransfors axes
>>
>>1494693
it's what you get for asking about axes on /out/
it's mostly about good axemanship, thin handles, old-timey pictures of choppers and giving answers to questions no one asked
it's almost baton level memeing
>>
>>1494693
If you want an answer, there's a huge gear elitism not just here but on the internet over all. LARPers buy it because it's da best and then shill it to other people who then shill it because it's da best.
>>
>wants to buy an axe to have an heirloom for his kids
that's not how heirlooms are made
there's nothing valuable about an axe you kept in your closet and never used your whole life
>>
>>1494006
This, anon. I have the 28" boy's axe and a hatchet from Council Tool. Excellent axes. I'd recommended conditioning the handle by sanding it down to remove lacquer and using some low grit to pit some purchase on the palm swell before oiling, but they make great axes and they're very affordable.
>>
Just make one out of stick and stone. It's not hard.
>>
File: kirvesostos1.jpg (255 KB, 2048x1152)
255 KB
255 KB JPG
When it comes to axes, everyone does everything wrong and youre a retard for any reason. No winning in this game.
>>
>>1494552
this might be total bullshit but I remember reading somewhere that it was because of the hickory itself. Old hickory was more dense, had tighter grain and was stronger than what is harvested now. supposedly has something to do with the way trees are grown now vs in a natural forest. The old handles could be thinner than modern handles and still have the same strength.
>>
File: terät.jpg (235 KB, 2048x1152)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
>>1495830
this is true
>>
>>1494346
>>1494401
>talking shit about Steven fucking Edholm

Is it summer yet? I think it is.
>>
>>1495830
This is true about pretty much any wood material nowdays though. A vast majority of trees used to produce raw material are cultivated and grown as fast as possible for monetary gain which makes them weak. In turn it's sort of cool to hunt for material that's grown naturally for dat sweet premium quality wood. Like a treasure hunt.
>>
Hello everyone, I'm a loser who recently started enjoying the outdoors.

How do I chop small sticks with my hatchet? I've laid them flat to split but there's gotta be a better way
>>
>>1495830
Maybe old hickory was slightly better quality but you can still shave down most stock handles to about half their original thickness with no issues
>>
>>1494609
>>1494609
Depends on where you live. Plenty of flea markets in poorer coal states have rusted tools out the ass still. Got a decent wood plane from the 70s for $3 and an axehead for $5.
>>
>>1495830
It doesn't matter. I've made handles as thin as old ones out of red oak and red oak no matter how you cut it is way weaker than hickory. For example, I have a black walnut handle on a 3lb head that's 3/4ths of an inch thick.
>>1494691
The thick handle retards are at it again, more like it. "Muh bitch hands! Muh thin handles are weak!", ignoring how distributed stress across the length of a handle rather than at the eye makes it stronger rather than weaker.
>>1494693
It happens literally every time someone brings up axes, just learn to expect it next time.
>>
>>1495891
Stick the hatchet in the top of what you want to split and smack it into another log.
>>1495879
This, skill cult is based.
>>
File: what.gif (3.11 MB, 318x318)
3.11 MB
3.11 MB GIF
>>1494401
>>1494346
>Not knowing Steven Edholm
Yikes.
>>
>>1495944
> distributed stress across the length of a handle

I don't want to participate in this special Olympics discipline, but why would one care about stress distribution? You don't lean on that handle like you do on a showel, you accelerate the axe head and let it fall, gently controlling the direction. This is what I thought proper chopping skill is.
>>
>>1495963
Your handle takes a significant amount of impact and shock as it hits, a thin handle can flex much easier meaning its less likely to break.
>>
>>1495963
I couldn't tell you why, as I'm not a physicist, but the mere fact that hand shock exists because of handle flex and that handles can break at all proves that the handle takes some out of stress. If a handle takes stress then the stress must be distributed across points here and there. By making the handle thin enough to bend across its length you're taking some amount of stress located at the eye and spreading it rather than concentrating it at the transition between the eye of the axe and the far thicker handle.
>>
>>1495963
For a more in depth explanation have a blogpost by Steven Edholm.
http://skillcult.com/blog/axe-handle-eye-breakage
Or the video on his channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRJgRvHbEMM
>>
>>1495963
you're forgetting the fact that the handle itself has momentum as well
>>
File: IMG_20190416_121553.jpg (1.89 MB, 4032x3024)
1.89 MB
1.89 MB JPG
Is this the correct form for cutting smaller stuff with a hatchet? Downward angled swing and then horizontal to chip off wood?
>>
>>1493440
It's not "nice" per se, but it will do the trick and last if you're good to it
https://www.amazon.com/Marbles-MR701SB-Camp-Axe/dp/B07NKN5S61
price has doubled since I purchased mine a few years ago
>>
>>1496105
>price has doubled since I purchased mine a few years ago
Welcome to the world of axes, where the price goes higher and higher every day. Soon they'll be at "low end" $150 knife levels for a council tool.
>>
>>1496099
Yes you got it
>>
>>1496111
I think the main problem is clueless internet reviewers and consumers who make a big deal over aesthetics and out of the box sharpness and outher shit that doesnt matter and the manufacturers are trying to please these people, putting more resources into quality control and returns and having to jack up the price as a result.
>>
File: Go Back To Reddit.jpg (7 KB, 250x178)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>1494500
>can't take criticism of his property

go back to r/camping
>>
does anyone know the name of the type of a axe that has a normal head but has a hoe on the back? I've been meaning to buy one but can't for the life of me remember what it is called.
>>
>>1496210
Pulaski
>>
>>1493440

Estwing Sportsman or Husqvarna 13"???
>>
>>1496220
Estwing,the Husqvarnas are to big for what they are.
>>
>>1496260
I dunno, I use their 2lb head on a 14" handle for basically everything and it works fine. Even if I chop for hours.
>>
>>1496270
They weigh almost as much as a full size axe and have a shit handle.
>>
>>1496300
Shit handle I might give as it's a swedish axe and modern swedish axes all have shit handles but like I've said I use almost boys axe weight heads on handles that short and it's worked out fine for me. Unless the things are 2.5-3lbs I don't see whats the big deal.
>>
>>1494538
Based Thoreau
>>
>>1496302
Actually from Dudley Cook, The Ax Book
>>
>>1496301
Because it's heavy for no reason, you'll get as much splitting performance out of a lighter hatchet like the estwing or a fiskars especially if you're carrying it around. It's a cheap Swedish axe, it's bit particularly good.
https://youtu.be/dK6Ad0uoVqw
>>
>>1496311
Fair enough man. I use hatchets for carving and shit, not splitting anything really at all, and haven't really had a problem but hey you do you.
>>
>>1496313
I thought you said splitting, if you want something for carving Husqvarna is even worse. There aren't many great low end hatchet on the market so I can't really suggest anything. Maybe council tool? Thiqq hatchet handle and bad head shape for it.
>>
>>1496316
I'm not the person asking for advice. I have a hatchet for carving. It's the 26" husqvarna head attached to a 14" handle with the cheeks thinned down massively to the point of probably being too thin for anything but carving.
>>
>>1496320
Ah, well if you're willing to put some effort in they can be good but I dunno for most people I just suggest otherwise.
>>
What are those weird japanese hatchets called? Are they actually useful
>>
>>1496392
It's called a Nata. Personally I'd just get an axe but hey, give it a try. If it was used for hundreds and hundreds of years it probably is decent for what it was used for, which was splitting kindling and chopping small branches.
>>
>>1495879
>>1495960
He could be Jesus Fucking Christ, white boy + dreads = opinion irreverent
>>
>>1495830
Old growth trees have a much stronger grain structure than young ones. Old growth forests stopped being available for general logging in the 60's. Hence the degradation in quality of pretty much everything wood these days.
>>
>>1496423
(you) retarded+inbred=opinion irrelevant
>>
>>1495827
this /thread
>>
File: 20190421_132706-1701x3024.jpg (1.19 MB, 1701x3024)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
>>1493440
You could find a decent axe head and rehandle it. What I did for my Pulaski and have an Adze hoe arriving tomorrow to handle for my dad.

Also finished sheaths for everything.
>>
File: 20190419_152040-1701x3024.jpg (1.19 MB, 1701x3024)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
>>1496210
>>1496215
If pic related is what you're thinking of it is indeed a Pulaski as anon stated.
>>
>>1496210
It’s called a Pulaski and is a tool mainly used in wildland firefighting. Hoe for digging fire break axe head for stubborn roots.
>>
Prandi axes any good?
>>
>>1499674
Only person I've seen use them long term is wranglerstar. He had like 13 and all the handles came loose. They are pretty affordable though, just not enough reviews to see. Maybe get one and tell us how you like it, other wise in that price range the marbles ones have a lot of positive reviews for same price range.
>>
>>1493440
can this thing split or will it break?
I know it's not designed to excel at splitting but it's light and I mostly do woodcraft but I need to do a tiny bit to start a fire
can it split a few small chunks for kindling without the blade snapping off?
>>
Hultafors if you want traditional

Fiskars if you want pure practical
>>
>>1501018
For Hultafors, would the forest axe or the hunting axe be better for a general camping/ backpacking axe?
>>
>>1501583
Forest axe. Check out council tool Boys also.
>>
File: 20190425_195156-1134x2016.jpg (517 KB, 1134x2016)
517 KB
517 KB JPG
Finished and handled the Adze hoe. Not really an axe, but still used for cutting. Hopefully putting it and the Pulaski to work this weekend removing a bunch of blackberry and brush.
>>
File: 20190427_182928-1134x2016.jpg (1.01 MB, 1134x2016)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
>>1501858
Works amazingly! Fuck blackberry and everything it stands for
>>
File: 20190427_214227.jpg (1.18 MB, 4128x2322)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
>>1493440
Just get a cheap ol' Estwing camp axe.

It may not be "heirloom" quality, but I can guarantee it will most likely outlast me.
>>
>>1493460
How do i get an old axe head in working condition
>>
>>1503489
Buy on eBay or flea market, put on handle, sharpen.
>>
>>1494080
10/10. Let’s be honest though, you’re assuming the hoe he (theoretically) knocks up will get the kid a stepdad.
>>
>>1493440
Anon, I think you should focus on saving your money so you can afford your own house to have children. The axe can wait.
>>
>>1493440
No, you don't. Axes are overrated.
However, if you really want something special, make one yourself.
>>
>>1493460
>head will fly off.
And hit your head and you'll die
>>
>>1493460
Not OP, but I had a brand new hatchet where the head flew off the first time I used it. I'm now trying to decide what to do. I need to either buy a new tomahawk, hatchet, or camp axe or carve a new handle with a pocket knife.
>>
File: 1535134079653.jpg (80 KB, 634x636)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
On a related note where do I get a stump from? I have a whole bunch of firewood and an axe to cut it but I don't have anything to cut it on
>>
>>1504767
From a tree
>>
>>1504943
How do I get it nice and flat on the top and bottom if I don't have access to a chainsaw?
>>
>>1505309
Hand saw
>>
>>1493440
Once you get to high school you can get a part time job, faggot
>>
What is the optimal length for a general-use camping/hiking hatchet/axe?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2esAob3tEiw&list=PLeFFi5uqrByoDdrj8aPKy3VcNcOn24kO2&index=2
>>
>>1505309
>>1505326
This
>>
>>1495884
This anon is correct.
t. carpenter
>>
I have a really small ~11" hatchet. I'm having trouble splitting wood with it. Working with some logs maybe 4" across, about 18" long. Tried splitting them standing up, tried putting the log between my legs, tried golf swing, nothing seems to work. I can bite into the wood good enough to get the hatchet stuck, but I'm not able to get any cracks propagating through the wood.

What's my issue? Obviously it would be easier with a larger tool, but I've seen people split much larger logs with a hatchet this size using similar techniques. Is my technique bad? Edge alignment off? Maybe it's not sharp enough? Am I not using enough force?
>>
>>1510440
Actually wow I'm bad at eyeballing things, measured one of the logs and it's closer to 8" across
>>
I’m glad this thread exists, I have a about 50 axes hanging up in my shed.
I’ll post them tomorrow.
>>
>>1510440
Try to stick the hatchet in and then hit the log itself onto your surface.
>>
>>1510483
I've tried that, and it works (albeit slowly). I find the problem doing that is the hatchet tends to slip into the crack so that it's actually the handle stuck in the crack, with the head sticking out the other side.
>>
>>1493440
fiskars x7 is all you need on a trail (assuming you need it) it will fall short if you want to build a log cabin...
>>
Should my axe have a perfectly rounded grind or is it okay if there is a regular kind of edge at the very tip with flats?
>>
File: 1528251630458.jpg (74 KB, 750x1127)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>yfw just purchased a gransfors bruks small forest axe and open this thread
>>
>>1513282
WTF is up with that oil-slick at his hairline? WTF does he do spray paint his fucking hair black?

Holy shit. Vanity is a motherfucker.
>>
>>1503489
You buy/find/recieve one that isnt in working condition and you fix it. At least here in Finland there are old rusty axe heads basically everywhere. You can get them at flea markets for cents and people will just give them to you if you ask nicely. A lot of them are good steel too, just needs to be sanded, grinded and quenched.
>>
>>>1513437
>>
>>1510453
You fucking lying sack of things that lie
>>
>>1503737
Whatever, punk bitch
>>
>>1494254
what the fuck is he wearing? Is this peak homosexuality?
>>
>>1505309
Just buy a chansaw.
>>
File: 31d766bTyYL.jpg (14 KB, 375x500)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
Why does nobody use carpenters hatchets for /out/door activities? Having an actual hammer head and an axe head in one tool seems pretty useful for camping
>>
>axe thread
Why would anyone /out/ing need an axe for?
Just pick up wood that's lying on the ground if you want a camp fire.
>>
>>1494538
And that's why I'm using an axe with a floppy handle.
>>
File: 1557049405431.jpg (36 KB, 420x515)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
My baby boy
>>
File: IMG_20190514_161345.jpg (2.3 MB, 3264x2448)
2.3 MB
2.3 MB JPG
>>1515200
Sry wrng pic
>>
>>1494538
shit i just got a 19'' hatchet. whelp
>>
>>1515201
take steel wool and get rid of that rust and then treat the metal and coat in oil regularly you discusting piece of shit
>>
>>1515226
The rust comes off with use you're the larper don't call me disgusting. Your grandfather would be ashamed of you, my grandfather gave me that just as is. It's not a piece of jewelry gas boy its a tool. An outdoor tool at that
>>
>>1515252
>it's a tool
>so I don't need to maintain it
Have fun with your pitted slab of steel. Shame it'll likely not be usable come time to pass it down to your children.
>>
>>1515226
>>1515252
See this? That's the exact reason why I never bother with giving advice on 4chan - nine out of ten times instead of even considering they could be wrong, they just make excuses and throw a tantrum. Criticizing people is a waste of time if they aren't mature enough to listen.
>>
>>1515409
*Calls him a disgusting piece of shit right off the bat* *thinks he's the one throwing a tantrum* *is retarded*
>>
>>1515252
>I know my grandson had an absentee father but I have faith that if I give him this rusted axe he'll know how to restore it, take care of it and make me proud.
>A man in my family would know how to take care of his tools after all.

Do you want to let down your grandfather?
>>
>>1515564
You're retarded and not worth the effort of a response, save for "you're retarded"
>>
>>1515506
>implying anonymous user is anonymous user
>>
>>1515506
he's been spamming his rusty ass axe. this isn't our first tussle. i started out polite
>>
File: IMG_20190515_184929.jpg (1.89 MB, 2448x3264)
1.89 MB
1.89 MB JPG
>>1515778
All my tools are rusty baby girl
>>
>>1515788
Who hurt you?
>>
>>1515791
The problem is a lack of hurt. You weren't beaten nearly severely or often enough as a child. Now you're a fag with no common sense who apparently thinks a hole digger needs a mirror polish
>>
>>1515796
alright you're a troll m8 no more yoos
>>
>>1515915
No I'm dead serious
>>
File: 20190503_011338.jpg (2.61 MB, 4128x2322)
2.61 MB
2.61 MB JPG
I made these
Not really made from scratch but just lenghtened the bit with portions of spring steel
>>
>>1494169
I like Hults Bruk, and for something a little more affordable Husqvarna
>>
>>1514795
Thats what roofers use
>>
>>1515788
those are your dad's tools, kiddo.
>>
>>1516632
they look pretty good, the handles could use a bit of shaping though unless you were going for that medieval square aesthetic
>>
Imagine being such a fag, that you think you need a mirror polish to have a clean tool; instead of just not being a disgusting lazy slob and keeping them clean and dry when not in use.

A rusted tool of any kind is a sign of incompetence at a very basic level.
>>
Steal one like a proper juvenile delinquent poor fag would.
>>
File: _csp27411096.webm (2.54 MB, 600x336)
2.54 MB
2.54 MB WEBM
well you axebros are car campers? why don't you stay in the basement then?
>>
>>1500728
some kind of tomahawk?

i use my norse hawk for splitting sometimes, nothing too large in diameter though, larger stuff i can get a batoning log and slide the head off to use it like a wedge and it works pretty good
>>
>>1500728
It's a serbian or bulgarian axe, we use them for everything including splitting >>1516632
>>
>>1518681
fucking cringe
>>
File: 208974.png (959 KB, 1418x1146)
959 KB
959 KB PNG
Threadly reminder
>>
>>1519713
Go home Mr. Fox you're drunk.
>>
>>1493846
You can make an axe a hatchet by giving it a smaller handle, no trouble. OP should go to a farmer's market or auctionhouse, at least in the UK there's always old axes, axeheads and general handtools going. Even a second hand store might have one.
>>
>>1494254
B-but blundstones are comfy Anon
>>
>>1519713
That's not as true anymore pap, hults bruks stuff is only like 75% the cost at best now, besides 95% everything made in swedish axe forges is made in a hults bruks forge except for granfors which is made in the old wetterling forges and the granfors forges
>>
>>1519713
what is production finish?
>>
>>1494538
ah this is why I used to like using the lighter axe we had rather than the bloody block splitter with thick handle. that thick handle the shock goes through your whole body if you are trying to split tougher wood.
>>
>>1519713
Replace hults with council tool
>>
>>1520109
Hults has 2 grades, the cheaper 'agdor' and the gransfors esque forged finish ones. You can get the sandblasted agdor ones for £35-£45, whilst the equivalent gransfors model will be £120-£150
>>
>>1520300
In the US they all run around the same price. The US axe market is fucked.
>>
>>1494254
Fuck you my blundstones are sexy af
>>
>>1520495
seems to be better than oz m8. seems like fiskars is the way to go here, although i'd prefer a traditional hipster axe.
>>
File: IMG_20190512_170454.jpg (1.61 MB, 2112x2816)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB JPG
>>1493440
>Silverline axe bought at hardware store 14€
>Good steel, good handle
>Shitty polyurethane coating on handle and shitty edge
>File edge, sandpaper away the coating (file costs 3€, sandpaper 2€)
>Apply cooked linseed oil on handle and head

Now you have a nice axe and a file to keep it sharp

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.