[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 103 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

File: 171.jpg (283 KB, 512x512)
283 KB
283 KB JPG
Old thread: >>1490256

=Search terms=

Agrarian - Agriculture - Agrology - Agronomy - Aquaculture - Aquaponics - Berkeley Method Hot Composting - Cold Frames - Companion Planting - Composting - Container Gardening - Co-operative Farming - Core Gardening Method - Cultivation - Deep Water Culture (DWC) - Dry Farming - Espalier - Farmer's Market - Forest Gardening - Forestry - Fungiculture - Geoponics - Greenhouses - Homesteading - Horticulture - Hot Boxes - Hugelkultur - Humanure - Hydroponic Dutch Bucket System - Keyhole Garden - Korean Natural Farming - Kratky Method - Landscaping - Lasagna Gardening - Ley Farming - Market Garden - Mittlieder Method - Mulching - No-till Method - Ollas Irrigation - Orchard - Permaculture - Plasticulture - Polyculture - Polytunnels - Propagation - Rain Gutter Garden - Raised Beds - Ranch - Rooftop Gardening - Ruth Stout No-work Garden - Sharecropping - Shifting Cultivation - Soil-bag Gardening - Square Foot Gardening - Straw Bale Gardening - Subsistence Agriculture - Sugar Bush - Truck Farming - Vermiculture - Vertical Gardening - Window Frame Garden - Windrow Composting

Agouti - Alpaca - Animal Husbandry - Antelope - Beefalo - Black Soldier Fly (BSF) - Brushturkey - Capybara - Cattle - Cavy - Chickens - Coypu - Crayfish - Curassow - Dairy - Deer - Donkey - Dove - Ducks - Fish - Game Birds - Geese - Giant Guinea Pigs (Cuy) - Goats - Grouse - Guan - Guineafowl - Hedgehog - Heliciculture - Honey Bees - Iguanas - Llama - Ostrich - Partridges - Pheasant - Pigeon - Pigs - Poultry - Quail/Bobwhite - Rabbits - Rats (Cricetomy/Thryonomy) - Sheep - Snails - Tegu - Toads - Trumpeter - Turkey - Worms

=Resources=

General Info & Anon-created Guides: https://pastebin.com/rwdxk3k3
Check >>>/an/plant for the non-food sister thread.

=Archives=

•1-161:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/t0rb5nuqbpq80ss/1-161.7z
>>
>>1493414
>>
>>1493418
They are probably just having trouble in that micro climate of a planter. Repot them in something larger. It is probably overwatering, but they shouldn't need more nutrients until they are a week in the ground/repotted. When you have multiple types of plants in the same tray, watering them can be very difficult because of different needs.
>>
tomatoes are getting too large for their cells, I have some larger pots to move them into but don't have another light tote set up...plus have to count the seeds starting here by the end of the month

>last measurable snowfall last year was mid april
>snow flurries overnight
>cannot even think about getting the outside greenhouse put together for a few more weeks
>>
File: 006_2592b.jpg (889 KB, 1024x693)
889 KB
889 KB JPG
Shhhh....the peanut seedlings are sleeping.
>>
File: 006_2589a.jpg (112 KB, 1024x683)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>1493430
Wow, the color really went to crap for some reason...
>>
File: bog 6.jpg (106 KB, 1140x640)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
didn't see the new thread
>>1493274
thanks for the insight. the more I research and learn about the projected weather patterns, the more I believe that indoor vertical farming is the future.
>>
>>1493407

This is likely the last pruning. We got them as seedlings destined for a greenhouse so they were about 2 months ahead of regular seedlings meant to go outside. I'll get them staked up this weekend probably.
>>
>>1493430
>>1493433
my peanuts weenuts haha!
>>
>>1493446
Far from a solid truth. It's a convenient trick for when you have limited area to grow stuff outside so you can maximise your production, but those businesses are far from unshackable. Many of those fails, since there are a lot of expenses for the light and all the tech needed.
Personally, i would stick with conventional methods as long as the necessary land size is compatible with environment. I didn't check the eco impact of vertical farming but i think you will need to get all the nutrients and plastic/metals to build the lab and all somewhere.
>>
>>1493429
Kinda unrelated, but why is most people always this much in a hurry to start? I have people here starting at early february to plant tomatoes, then having them ready a month later and obviously getting cucked by weather since until may you won't be really sure that it will be decently warm and sunny.
>>
File: 20190412_072113.jpg (3.06 MB, 4032x2268)
3.06 MB
3.06 MB JPG
Mushroom anon from a few threads ago: oyster mushrooms have started fruiting after about 3 weeks
>>
>>1493507
haha
>>
Transplanted my okra into a raised bed yesterday at 80 degrees...fucking 43 this morning.

Okra, baby, please hold on for daddy.

>Holy shit is 8a weather bullshit. Under a single cfl shop light indoors I am having 200% faster growth than anything outside because of these extreme temp jumps. Then summer hits and everything is perpetually stressed by 100 degree highs and 88 degree lows.
>>
anyone here have experience with garlic in zone 5? I put leaves on top of my planted blubs last spring but the ground was waterlogged all fall before being frozen solid. any chance they survived?
>>
Anyone has experience with grafting? I've only started now reading into it and i'm too late in the season to try it out, is it worth a try (my aim would be to have multi fruit trees, mostly pear varieties or apricot and peaches) or buying and already grafted one is more reliable? They are like 30E each, meter tall tree.
>>
>>1493610
assuming you are zone 5/6 ?

not sure why people start that early. We start our tomatoes early to mid April. Descent size before they go in the ground. We use plasticulture so we put tomatoes and peppers in two weeks early.
>>
>>1493610
I do it because of oceanic climate. It's zone 8a (bordering b), so frosts usually aren't that bad and on average the last one is on April 1 (and at that point only mild, like -1°C or so), meaning I can plant my tomatoes peppers around that time if the forecasts are good.
Summers are cool though mostly, meaning the growth isn't that fast, so if you want the most out of your growing season, it's best to start early indoors. Sure direct seeding to soil is also possible, but heavily shortens the yield
>>
>>1493610
>>1493673
>>1493706
I do it so I can eat more stuff I've grown.

>>1493611
Nice, also "flush" not "fruit." When they just start forming it is called "pinning." What species?

>>1493645
It was 90F here yesterday and 70F all last night. I'm in zone 5. Everything is in bloom. There's usually a 3-4 nice hard freezes yet to come so I'm sure all fruit trees are totally fucked for yet another year.
>>
>>1493653
Mine are like super tall already. Dig a couple up. Pull back the leaves. Mine are in a raised bed and planed at the end of last season.
>>
>>1493658
There's a few people in these threads that come by once in a while. I just got some grafting tape and will be trying it out this season. You always have the option of buying the tree and making your own.
>>
>>1493724
>I do it so I can eat more stuff I've grown.
poster was talking about transplanting outside.

I'm guessing you grow to harvest inside?
>>
>>1493731
Polytunnels.
>>
>>1493610
person you replied to....

I didn't start mine till ~2 weeks ago, they're just growing really well

ideally I would be able to get them outside in the greenhouse at the end of april or shortly after....they won't be planted till the end of may
>>
File: IMG_20190412_091952619.jpg (1.42 MB, 3264x1836)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB JPG
Guys, I don't know what to do.
I bought a seed starter thingy, and used some old seeds I found in my she'd from a previous owner. Been sitting in my garage for a few days, and I thought I'd have more time, but the lettuce is going nuts.

What do I do? I live in zone 7 I think. Reno NV.

I
>>
File: stannis.png (493 KB, 1280x720)
493 KB
493 KB PNG
>tfw no sun for a week
>tfw 2 more weeks of no sun forecast

>>1493750
Seems time to give them more space.
>>
>>1493754
I know exactly how you feel.
>>
File: IMG_20190412_170729.jpg (3.6 MB, 3120x4160)
3.6 MB
3.6 MB JPG
>>1493658
Not a fruit tree but hey, grafting!
>>
>>1493732
even with low tunnels we can't get away with a month early here.
>>
>>1493776
Tomato potato? Seen something, looks cool, you basically get both productions? How do you transplant potato tho. (nvm if i got it wrong)
>>
>>1493777
I've picked tomatoes in January with 4 inches of snow on top the tunnel. It had 2 layers of plastic and a tiny space heater with a little box fan. But, getting away with a month early is what I do every year with just 1 layer of plastic and no extra heater. Only 1 time did frost get in and that was clearly my fault.
>>
>>1493801
we get frost up until early may so no go here but that's awesome you can do that.
>>
>>1493804
Last frost here is normally May 10th-13th.
>>
File: 006_2615a.jpg (736 KB, 1024x683)
736 KB
736 KB JPG
The plums are blooming and the chickens are eating pests from the freshly tilled soil. I marked out new areas for raised beds and hope to get them up and running, "soon." Unfortunately, it just rained like mad a while ago so what you see here is now 1 foot deep mud until it dries out a bit. The chickens are loving it though.
>>
>>1493750
If you can, divide the lettuce up before it becomes too late and repot them in something much larger. Remember, you can always eat them as microgreens when you thin them out.
>>
>>1493806
cool
I can't afford to run a heaters in January when its -15 at night lol.
>>
>>1493801
Seems like overdoing it, but i appreciate the dedication.
>>
>>1493810
>>1493811
I only did heating one time as testing. It was like an aphid paradise in there. It gets -15F here too. One year -40F. But usually never more than -20F and normally just -10F for a warm winter. Basically, a greenhouse with more passive solar heating and other non-electric heating with backup utility heating would work well. Startup would be expensive, but that's all.
>>
>>1493814
tried passive heating in our greenhouse but didn't work here. Would be to expensive to grow over the winter for me.
>>
>>1493814
Seems like you live quite south and have many sunny winter days with pronounced day/night differences? Here, it rarely ever goes below -10C(+14F), but being at 50°N, winter days are short, sun angle is very low and it's overcast most of the time on top of that. So even if it only drops to a -5C low, it's often after like a -2C cloudy high, meaning frost would still seep into an unheated tunnel/greenhouse
>>
>>1493835
Are you in Central Europe?
>>
>>1493845
Central-West, SW Germany, Northern Upper Rhine
>>
>>1493819
They just need a large solar collection area that can pump the heat into storage during the day. Then at night the heat pumps into the greenhouse. If designed properly, it is all automatic and without electric. Some people use an oil system like that which allows them to store heat during the day then cook food with the stored heat at night. Most of that type of system is only used for home hot water heating though some heat the entire house with it.

The most novel thing I've seen for insulating a greenhouse is a foam maker that makes foam bubbles and spews them in between the 2 layers of plastic. That supplies 3 feet of bubble insulation at night. The system is a bit more complex than what I'd want to do, especially since it is an active system that needs electric.

Related reading,
https://www.uvm.edu/vtvegandberry/Pubs/Solar_Hot_Water_for_Greenhouse_Heat.pdf

>>1493835
Check the info in the pdf above about a place in Vermont (around 45°N I think). Also, passive heating is still a type of heating. The real trick is to store excess heat to be used when it is cloudy, or night time. Depending on the size of the place you need to keep heated, the cost to build such a system can be pretty high. Or, there's just no room to put such a system.
>>
>>1493801
How do you get to the plants without letting out all the heat?
>>
>>1493864
You let the heat out. It needs vented anyway or everything will mold over inside.
>>
File: 1536904223151.jpg (81 KB, 1022x602)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
/ck/ here
I have some gardening books in my cooking collection you're welcome to

https://mega.nz/#F!VrgHmQTT!HEXDgmzBWRgSt-_M4hZhiA
>>
File: 1554996755773.jpg (71 KB, 473x640)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
anyone has a copy of this book?
Country Life: A Handbook for Realists and Dreamers
>>
>>1493906
You can apparently get it in pdf format from your local library.
>>
My peppers' seed packets said to transplant them into 3 inch containers before eventually putting them outside.

I currently have them all in one slatted tray that is 4" deep and they each have 4" of space between them. I just wanted to double check that this is also alright. My plan was to keep them in it 'til they went outside in 3.5 weeks.

Is there anything different about them each being in individual containers that is required even though they have more than that amount of space, just all in one flat?
>>
>>1493920
the roots would be easier to separate if they are grown in individual pots
>>
>>1493949

Hmmm. I'm wondering if it'll be more stressful for them to be transplanted twice or to have their roots a little more tangled in their one transplant outside.
>>
>>1493966

It depends how skilled you are untangling the roots.
I'd put them directly in soil when they are ready but you have to be careful
>>
>>1493970

I think I may give potting them up a shot now.
>>
>>1493966
You'll damage them far more by trying to untangle roots than simply repotting.
>>
>>1493990

Finished. Seems like I caught em just before their roots would have started growing together.
>>
>>1493993
That's good.
>>
File: southern florida.jpg (26 KB, 483x432)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
is this all I can grow in southern florida during these months?
>>
>>1494016
You can grow anything if you're bold enough.
>>
>>1493966
>>1493973
>>1493993
mine are not that far along yet, but I need to separate them also

I don't remember if home improvement chains sell smaller plastic pots.....I know they have the biodegradable ones

otherwise I'll have to make do
>>
File: 71Y3TJ4ju5L._SL1500_.jpg (179 KB, 1500x1313)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
Hey fellas
growin some lettuce kratky style
kinda lazy, so what's a good liquid fertilizer I can kinda just add and forget
Something like this alright?
>>
>>1494053
Just follow the kratky recipe, bro.
>>
>>1494060
Sorry, I'm kinda new to the threads and I don't know where to find that
Is there a specific link you could give me?
>>
>>1494053
https://www.tool-rank.com/tool-blog/editorial/masterblend-hydroponic-fertilizer-calculator-for-any-container-size-201610071988/
>>
>>1494069
thanks anon
>>
>>1494060
>>1494065
>>1494069
>>1494071
Just to follow up on this
Would it kill me if I used lawn fertilizer to make sure I have the right nitrogen levels?
>>
I'll be honest with y'all. Hydroponics is the most retarded shit ever. Ya ain't truly growin' and gardenin' unless you're outside in the dirt.
>>
File: 1527118266670.jpg (725 KB, 1332x900)
725 KB
725 KB JPG
>>1494108
ehh, you sound mad.
this is not the place to tell people what is and isn't gardening.
Go to /b/ and bitch about it.
Not here.
>>
>>1494108
>Ya ain't truly growin' and gardenin' unless you're outside in the dirt.
Good
>>
The anon who weed on his germinating pepper seeds here, seeds finally sprouted, all of the types seem to be doing fine, same with catnip.
Thanks for the advice and calming me down.
>>
>>1493791
Tomato-tomato. 4 different varieties on a estamino rootstock.
>>
File: 20190412_172931.jpg (4.38 MB, 2988x5312)
4.38 MB
4.38 MB JPG
>>1493990
>>1493973
>>1493970
>>1493966
>>1493949
My favourite method is (obviously) ONLY plant what you intend to grow. Fuck you, if you 'thin/cull' seedlings. Even those can be rescued with proper care and fertilisation after the true leaves grow.

BUT, IF... you decide to buy a baby plant from a hardware store or have 2 seedlings close together, my method has always been; first use the right soil (e.g. Miracle Gro Moisture Control or peat pellets) and if you end up growing 2 plants close to each other, right before transplant, lightly 'squish' the plant out of the cell or peat pot to not break any roots, then with a light running of water, you 'wash' the soil away from the roots and attempt to detangle anything and avoid breakage, but before that, always keep their new home ready (e.g. a bigger pot or their transplant home in the direct ground) to go. and then put the same soil (e.g. a mixture of peat or the same Miracle Gro soil mixed with the native place) so its something the plants are used to and won't experience as much shock. My mom wanted an aloe cactus and picked one that seemed to have two, so I liberated both plants this way before they got too big and put them in their own pots.

That said, my Burpee SuperSauce tomato (2nd seed planted) sprouted and looks scraggly/wrinkled/broken leaves but I'm not giving up on it, OR the 1st one that didn't sprout, still in the same peat pot. If it does, I'll apply the method mentioned above. Same for the Rosemary as well. 1st one was dead centre but the 2nd seed I put on the sides so I could differentiate. More than happy to give it a good home if it chooses to sprout later on.

Top middle centre is the Rosemary, Direct centre is the Burpee SuperSauce Tomato, last bottom 3 are Basil that haven't come up yet.
>>
>>1494140
bitch please

it is not uncommon to plant multiple seeds in the same spot to ensure at least one of them grows to fill that cell
>>
>>1494140
>Even those can be rescued with proper care
Isn't the point to ensure that you have a plant rather than to get rid of the weak ones?
>>
>>1494140
>rescued

Not when there's no place to plant them. You germinate more than you need because of possible germination problems and seedling problems. The ones that get thinned out are only thinned out after the seedlings make it through their last hurdle.
>>
>>1493848
Düsseldorf area here. That climate you described sounded just too familiar ;-D
>>
>>1494160
Yeah, it fucking snowed here earlier this morning, probably the first time this year
>>
File: led.jpg (188 KB, 957x1067)
188 KB
188 KB JPG
Greetings. I'm in need of some advice.
My seedlings are growing long and thin. Usually, there's enough light at their location, but the weather doesn't play along and it has been fairly dark for a while now.

In a kind of panic I ordered one of those LED plant lights (mostly red/blue, some white) from Amazon. It arrived today and I switched it on to see how it works.
I have some old analog luxmeter lying around, and I have no idea how accurate it is, so I used it for strictly comparing.
Up close, like 30cm with the LED unit I get the same reading that I get on a north window on a cloudy day (plants are currently struggling a bit on a south window with a reading approx. 3 times as high).
Am I missing something here? How useful are readings like that when it comes to plants and the supposedly specialized LED light? Do these lamps actually work to grow seedlings? I know some people here have some experience with them, judging from the pictures.

The light I have is rated 50W with an actual power consumption of 26W, according to the product information. The product page is in German, so idk if linking it helps.
https://www.amazon.de/Reflector-Pflanzenlampe-Vollspektrum-Pflanzenlicht-Zimmerpflanzen/dp/B075S5P3Z8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
>>
>>1494186
Okay, I posted a bit too quickly it seems. I found out about lux meters as smartphone apps. Now I don't know how accurate those are, but dead center under the lamp at about 30cm distance the app reads ~6000LUX, at the south window the plants are currently at it reads ~7000LUX and outside it reads ~90000LUX.
I guess that makes the lamp look better than in my previous post, by a long shot, but is it suitable?

While I eagerly await some input I'll go and throw away that analogue meter.
>>
>>1493807
Living the dream. I'll try to get the most out of my balcony this year
>>
>>1494108
There's something off-putting about growing your own organic, healthy food and trying to cut down on your carbon footprint by using plastic totes, mechanical devices, and chemical fertilizer, usually under artificial lighting.

You can still do all kinds of crazy shit with soil, even in the confined spaces that usually motivate people to turn to hydroponics.

I have no fucking faith in civilization turning to hydroponics and aeroponics to support an ever exploding population that will not end up with a nightmarish Blade Runner future where the only things that can grow are in artificial mediums and environments because the Earth now looks like any scene from The Road.

With all the permacultural techniques used in all kinds of climates, gardening to supplement a family's caloric intake is not an impossibility countrywide, especially here in the US.

However, that would require a massive change in cultural insight into traits like self-reliance and responsibility, something boomers and zoomers both have relinquished to the corporate entities delivering them "fresh-picked produce" from 1400 miles away.

Everyone having their own plot to work would also put an inevitable limit on a location's population capacity, forcing everyone to realize that maybe mass populations aren't viable outside of the cities and cellular units of suburbia the first world has acclimated to.

God is dead.
>>
>>1494105
I will kill you if you use fucking lawn ferts. Just use the kratky recipe our lord and savior, Jeb Gardener, blessed be thy name, bestowed upon ups.
>>
>>1494231
was god ever alive anon
good rant : )
>>
File: IMG_20190413_100735.jpg (1.24 MB, 4032x2268)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB JPG
Welp, most of these scallions started to die. Gave them ~14 hours of light a day and watered them consistently. No idea what I could have done to make them not die.
>>
>>1494245
What was your soil mix? Overwatering?
>>
>>1494246
I used a seed starter mix. I may have over watered them? I watered them like every other day when the soil felt particularly dry.
>>
>>1494258
Were you only checking the top of the soil? You need to check the soil in the middle, not just on top.
>>
File: IMG_20181006_153705.jpg (1.65 MB, 2496x1872)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB JPG
>>1494053
I use from germination to 1 week old just water via wet rockwool. Then another week on a VERY diluted (0.15ml/L) nutrient mix of FloraMicro, FloraGro and FloraBloom. This allow for the roots to grow quite nicely.
Then I move the lettuce (day 15) to the final container with
FloraMicro 0.35 ml/L
FloraGro 0.35 ml/L
FloraBloom 0.35 ml/L
CalMag 0.35 ml/L
On day 25 I add
FloraMicro 0.35ml/L
FloraGro 0.70ml/L
using the original water volume from day 15 for the calculation.
Then I harvest around day 50-60 depending on size but not later as the lettuce gets bitter.

Then on day 15 I move the
>>
File: IMG_20190413_162505.jpg (1.83 MB, 2496x1872)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB JPG
I moved two of the pepper outside the tent and they took quite the sock. It will be a miracle if the one on the left makes it.
I do not understand it. It is a mild day in shadow.
>>
>>1494268
Did you harden them off properly, or did you just dump them outside all day?
>>
>>1494270
This is within 15 minutes of being outside.
It was the start of the hardening.
>>
I thought it was supposed to be sunny today, yet the rain keeps coming. Weatherman, why would you lie to me so? While it is pretty refreshing to watch all the gloom of winter get washed away and leave everything vibrant and green in it's wake, this much rain is getting tiresome.
>>
I’ve gotten the idea to make food grade bloodmeal from my own livestock, namely poultry. I figure I just collect the blood from like a duck in a sanitized bucket, let it coagulate, then dehydrate that shit and grind to powder. Any advice or comments? I’ll be getting ducklings from Tractor Supply soon.
>>
>>1494285
>Solar drying is well suited for small-scale operations or when advanced technical equipment is not affordable. Blood is collected in large pans and slowly boiled while stirring constantly. When moisture is sufficiently reduced (10-12%), blood meal is spread on a clean cemented surface and then sun-dried. It can also be oven-dried. The blood may be spread on milling offals, rice bran or other plant products for better drying and that results in a complete feed.

Have fun with that.
>>
>>1494108
I agree but I also understand that this is cuntish behaviour so I keep it at bay.
>>1494135
Ohh cool. Was thinking of trying a multicolor ribes bush, i have lots of extra plants anyway so a fail or 2 would be acceptable.
>>1494302
Also should note that the smell involved in blood processing is one of the most unbearable ones.
>>
>>1494302
>>1494303
I wouldn’t be processing a lot at once. I really was thinking of just letting it coagulate and cool before throwing into the dehydrator. Also we must have different receptions of scent.
>>
>>1494304
The instructions I posted are exactly for the kind of small scale operation you're thinking of.
>>
>>1494272
The Hardening. Coming this May 12th.

tickets on sale now
>>
File: fadgswrh.gif (2.2 MB, 400x400)
2.2 MB
2.2 MB GIF
>Nice weather is here, no predictions for frost
>Put cold-tolerant plants like cilantro and rosemary out into whisky barrels
>Suddenly it's gonna go down to -1 degC overnight on monday

Do I have to bring the rosemary/tarragon/cilantro back inside? I know they are supposed to be cold tolerant, but google search info is so inconsistent and not very reassuring.
>>
>>1494323
Depends on their size i guess. At least rosemary is very tolerant to cold, when adult sized.
>>
>>1494323
Questions

what is your last frost date?

is it a frost or a freeze?

how old are the plants?

Me, I would dig them up and throw them in pots until your 50/50 frost date.
>>
File: 20190413_133021.jpg (2.52 MB, 4032x2268)
2.52 MB
2.52 MB JPG
Looking good boys!
>>
>>1494341
good deal anon. I'm glad the mini greenhouse worked out for you.
>>
>>1494234
I pretty much follow jebs recipe. Works well, but I don't think he switches out his nutrient water enough.
>>
File: 1530102744119.jpg (4.59 MB, 4000x2666)
4.59 MB
4.59 MB JPG
So glad I have a minimal lawn now. Everyone else is out leaf blowing, weed whacking and mowing.

Here I am burning up my beds before I get to work on them.
>>
>>1494331

I believe may 9 is our last frost date (zone5/6 Toronto). The temperature will be -1degC, so it won't be a full freeze, just an overnight frost.

The kale seedlings are a month old. The cilantro is about a month old as well (they are maybe a few inches tall). The rosemary is 2 years old with thick woody central stems, and the tarragon is a year old plant that I overwintered inside.

I'll keep an eye on the weather and if it gets cold I'll repot them or at least tarp them. I just need to free up space under the grow lights for my maturing tomatoes and peppers so I'm kinda eager to get the hardy plants outside.
>>
>>1494258
Those mixes are usually VERY moisture retentive, meaning if you were watering daily it could have drowned the scallions.

Live and learn; give it another shot and don't water until those 6 cell trays are light when you lift them.
>>
>>1494370
the kale and rosemary should be fine. I would cover it with a towel or burlap later in the day before the sun goes down.
>>
>question

when do you guys thin out your seedlings?
before or after true leaves?
>>
>>1494388
I'm a newfag at the thing but i guess it depends on the plant. I'm growing tomatoes and strawberries, tomatoes could handle it before putting the true leaves but to manage it with strawberries i would need a microscope. I will just wait when the plant is 2-3cm.
>>
>>1494393
I've always done it for everything pre true leaves but have been reading lately that it should be after true leaves appear.
>>
File: 006_2655a.jpg (917 KB, 1024x683)
917 KB
917 KB JPG
>>1493807
Ugh, this is taking forever and the tractor tiller didn't get deep enough on the other end. I hope the rest are not like that. Could be worse.

>>1494197
Protip: chain ladder + hanging baskets going down, anchor to floor well.
>>
>>1494197
>>1494412
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RljB6LU_FD4
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/vgen/vegetables-grown-upside-down.htm
>>
File: Ramps 2019-4-13.jpg (808 KB, 1024x683)
808 KB
808 KB JPG
The baby ramps are coming along nicely. Everything is in bloom in the woods too.
>>
File: untitled.jpg (103 KB, 566x850)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>1494315
>>
Anyone in zone 10a? My god, reading you guys makes me feel grateful
>>
>>1494436
Me. Southern California here.
>>
>>1494436
I'm in like 7a/b and I'm super grateful we don't live anywhere colder and can also grow pretty much anything.
>>
>>1494323
put plastic buckets/containers over them for the night, It will keep them just snug enough to stay warm
>>
>>1494440
pic related
doesn't even need to be clear since you will just take them off in the morning
>>
>>1494439
7-8 look like perfect weather for growing so much stuff.

>zone 5
>late frosts kill blossoms off all fruit trees
>>
>>1494443
what fruit trees do you have outside?

We only have a mini peach tree that doesn't get blooms until early summer.
>>
>>1494443
Just to think, when I was younger I wanted to live somewhere much more glamorous, like New York or California. Glad I didn't follow my dreams on that. Every year I get older the more I appreciate what I do have.
>>
>>1494444
Apple, plum, peach, mulberry, cherry, & blueberry. I've been looking into late season apple cultivars for my area. I think that would be best.

>>1494446
Certinally.
>>
>>1494438
Nice! Greetings from Southern Italy. I ve been thinking of growin an avocado trae since the fruit is so expensivehere. Yet I do non know anyone who has tried it here. What do you think?
>>
>>1494451
Tree*
>>
>>1494451
Fucking terrone blessed with eternal summer while cashes out reddito.
>>
Hey all,

Anyone find that plants grown under purple LED grow lights don't need a great deal of hardening off? I left a bunch of peppers/tomatoes/leeks/onions outside to get the hardening process going, and I found that they weren't responding negatively at all. No discolouration, no drooping - even after an hour + of being outside in full sun.
>>
>>1494456
Si
>>
>>1494457
do you know what the uv rating was?

Would still be careful
>>
File: IMG_20190413_170719803.jpg (2.38 MB, 2448x3264)
2.38 MB
2.38 MB JPG
OwO what's this?!
:D
>>
>>1494462
Onion? Endless supply of those. Its an infestation
>>
>>1494464
All the wild onion that was left in my yard after being mowed flowered. They're actually pretty cute flowers.
>>
>>1494466
True
>>
>>1494457
LEDs can bring really intense light, some higher power fixtures using monochromatic LEDs can cause light burn that otherwise wouldn't happen in sunlight
Depending on your light and how close it is you might have already gotten them used to sun-like intensity
>>
>>1494461
>>1494470
Hmmm, I didn't know they produced significant amounts of UV. Had them set up in my basement without any shielding... now I'm worried about my eyes.
>>
>>1494474
What fixture do you have?
>>
Hey /out/
Are NPK values for fertilizer standardized

I'm growing lettuce and an ideal formula, from chem gro, would be 8 15 36
If I buy something that is 0 0.3 0.7, and increase the formula by 50 times, would that be the same as getting to 0 15 35?

Or is there more math depending on how much nutrients are delivered by whatever amount the instructions say
>>
>>1494474
sorry meant the uv rating for the day.
>>
I really hate city slickers.

Moved to the woods 13 years ago. Some douche spanish family from the city moves in next door.

Hear the "colored" music blasting from the windows because they don't have a/c; all while I'm tending to my garden.
>>
>>1494487
my apologizes anon...
I am in Texas and I had Louisiana white trash move in next to me. I hear either fighting or "colored music sometimes when I am in my garden.
>>
>>1494384
Well shit
>>
>>1494475
It's a set of Byingo 2ft and 4ft LED lamps.

>>1494482
I have no idea DESU. The sun was pretty bright, but I didn't even know that UV rating was a thing.
>>
>>1494515
>but I didn't even know that UV rating was a thing.
thats where you get sunburn from, same thing with plants, higher uv harder its hitting the plants.
>>
>>1494516
Interesting, I wonder if I can look up the UV index on an online weather service.
>>
>>1494529
https://www.coppertone.com/uvindex/
>>
>>1494531
I feel like this is misleading, though, because it's been cloudy here all day and it's trying to tell me the UV rating is 8. Probably a scam to sell more sunscreen. Then again, I've never had to wear sunscreen or take any extra measures to protect myself from the sun.
>>
>>1494532
nvm, all the other sites I clicked are also telling me 8. Still probably a scam by the sunscreen mega corporations to sell more sunscreen.
>>
File: 1526456862229.png (24 KB, 1132x221)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
>>1494529
>>1494532
>>1494533
here was uv index at my house today.
>>
>>1494516
So I looked up the UV index today and the maximum expected was 5. Not particularly high, so maybe that's why no shock occurred.
>>
>>1494539
very possible.
>>
File: 20190413_204059.jpg (250 KB, 1000x750)
250 KB
250 KB JPG
After being attacked by thrips and constantly trying to fruit, my poblanos are looking leggy and weak. I hit them with high nitrogen fertilizer, pinched off all the buds and fruits, trimmed off the barren stems, and placed them under my 8000K grow lights. Hopefully a pruning, some nitrogen, and a light spectrum skewed towards blue will stop these idiots from fruiting themselves to death. Wish me luck.
>>
File: 1826.png (1.25 MB, 671x939)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB PNG
This is a pepper seedling, right?
It just grew next to one of my tomatoes.
>>
File: 1506352057809.jpg (45 KB, 512x512)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>1493895
You heathens can reap what you're sowing without the lord God Jesus Christ
>>
>>1494443
8a here and it can be tricky. Warmth in February/March encourages stuff to shoot and bloom, then a late frost in April can kill a lot
>>
>>1494451
If it never drops below 0°C where you live then go for it
>>
>>1494727

Definitely looks like it.
>>
File: 20190414_085306_HDR.jpg (2.29 MB, 3264x1836)
2.29 MB
2.29 MB JPG
Only took these little ones 3 days to pop.
>>
>>1494727
Yeah that's a pepper. Gonna grow it and see what kind it is?
>>
>>1494777
Zucchine are weed tier.
>>
>>1494766
>>1494789
Thanks.
Yeah I will grow it. Curious to see what happened to drop in my tomato seed packet.
>>
>>1494800

Yeah that's odd. Who were the seeds from? I wonder if there's any connection with them both being nightshades or if it's coincidental.
>>
>>1494745
Even if it sits at 0-1° C for many nights? I mean the temperature doesnt ever go below zero, but the wind can, and there s heavy humidity
>>
File: IMG_20190414_112217569.jpg (2.04 MB, 2448x3264)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
What the fuck is happening to my basil? I cant find anything that's related to this star-shaped spot
>>
>>1494818

That's super weird. Only thing I could find that looks similar is cercospora leaf spot but that wouldn't make much sense to me.
>>
>>1494803
I'd say so. They will be in a sort of dormancy in winter anyway. Just try it out
>>
>>1494818
Looks like leafminer damage.
>>
I have a right on the outside of my porch an area that is south-east facing that receives a lot of roof runoff and is pretty wet most of the time and I'd like to plant something that can soak all of that up. I'm planning on planting watermelons and pumpkins, the only thing is that the exhaust from my house's dryer is there. Would that affect the plants in any way, like through the soil? I mean, its just lint, right?
>>
Guys how do I strengthen my crassula that doesn't get any airflow? He's super healthy and growing fast but if you knock him a bit he takes days to get back up. Do I just keep shaking him to simulate airflow?
>>
>>1494830
no plant will compensate for improper drainage

sunflowers need a heck of a lot of water too
>>
>>1494853
Sunflowers also really like heat, too. They should be fine.
>>
>>1494822
Great, thank you. Maybe im just thinking it too much already. I ll just go for it
>>
File: DSC02281.jpg (545 KB, 1920x1080)
545 KB
545 KB JPG
Oh. I'd really wanted to try growing tea, too. Does anyone here grow their own tea? What are your favorite plants to grow to make tea?
>>
>>1494919
I bought a plant last year and am not too impressed with its performance. My fault though, as I didn't research the fact that tea (and other camellias) require low pH, while my garden soil is 13% lime by weight and measures around pH 8... so I dug it out the ground a few weeks ago and potted it in a lower pH medium, hopefully that'll improve things
>>
>>1494803
plants don't feel wind chill so no need to worry about that part.
>>
>>1493414
Moving to Dallas from the midwest, have no idea what grows down there, someone help.
>>
>>1494980
Find out the hardiness zone of the place you're moving to. Then type "what can I grow in [hardiness zone]" pick your plants, then come and ask for advice.
>>
File: DSCN1495.jpg (4.68 MB, 4608x3456)
4.68 MB
4.68 MB JPG
Question for you /out/ists
I'm planning to germinate a ton of sunflowers and mint till they are able to be planted outside. Problem is that I live in an apartment and have no room for them but I do have quite a large park next to me. Do you think if I plant them along the trail ?Do you think I can get in trouble for this? I'm doing this to help the dying bee population in our area btw.

also a heads up Cheerios is giving away free sunflower seeds for this exact purpose.
https://www.cheerios.ca/freeseeds/
>>
>>1494993
>Seed bombing on public land in and of itself is not illegal IF the seeds are spread on public county, state, or federal land if the seeds themselves are a) legal and b) native and non invasive, and if they will not create deep roots (trees, flowers can be mowed down like grass) unless it's an area approved for that kind of plant. Even then, if the state in the US or providence in Canada has no law on the books about the non evasive plants, that can get murky. But regardless, stick with native flowers only in the future!

They probably won't ever know, anyway. I don't know if sunflowers are native to your area, though, I'd do some research into what grows in your locale.
>>
>>1494994
Google says that some sunflower plants are native in Ontario.
>>
>>1494988
Thanks anon this'll help
>>
>>1494995
Then you're good. It's public land, and I don't think anyone's going to object to someone planting pretty wildflowers to help save the bees. I actually got a couple of wildflower mixes myself for that purpose.
>>
>>1495000
awesome anon. Ill let you guys know how it goes!!
>>
>>1494993
Nice place.
>>
File: 1529972862265.png (66 KB, 1251x269)
66 KB
66 KB PNG
Very glad I know now the Ferry-morse easy sow cosmos was nothing to do with my technique.
you can see #41 never germinated since 4/5
Gf picked up a few packets of cosmos and they all germinated within 2 days.
Sucks because I'm weeks behind on them but at least we will have for this year.
>>
File: fuck google.png (60 KB, 675x431)
60 KB
60 KB PNG
>just priced local nursery trees
>lowest price is $60 for a 12-inch (#7) apple tree.
>14-inch (#15) trees are $100

Well, that sucks.

>time to check for tissue traders
>fucking google
>>
>>1494993
Sunflowers are a quick growers. I grew some mammoth sunflowers from seed last year that grew over 10ft tall. I planted them in May and they were at full maturity and ready to be harvested in mid-August. So unless you have a short growing season, I wouldn't worry too much about starting those guys indoors.
>>
>Just planted some young, flimsy trees a couple weeks ago
>Heavy rains and wind whipping through my area
This shit makes me nervous as fuck every time. I staked them and all, but I'll be damned if I don't get a mini-heart attack every time it happens.
>>
>>1494993
Sunflowers should be fine. Mint I would just keep in a pot if possible. Ask forgiveness not permission when it comes to guerrella gardening.
>>
>>1495091
Young trees can recover from that shit remarkably well. Older trees are the ones at risk since their core is less flexible. Relax is what I am saying.
>>
>>1495094
I understand, but it still makes me nervous as hell
>>
File: 20190414_191220.jpg (665 KB, 2048x1152)
665 KB
665 KB JPG
>>1490234
this okay for over a month of growth? there's like 3 roots coming out of the bottom already
>>
>>1495103
Looks fine and healthy to me
>>
>>1495097
Fair I just planted some Pines and Juniper in a pretty nasty place a few days ago and now we just got 1 foot of snow in 6 hours. I am sure they are fine however that did I do everything I can fear never goes away.
>>
>>1495103
What plant is it?
>>
>>1495001
Yes, do post! I d actually enjoy a guerrilla thread on its own
>>
>>1495156
reaper
>>
>>1494980
Fort Worth here, get ready for the fuckfest called 8b climate zone, bby.

Had 45 degrees temps with brutal wind and rain yesterday with a sunny 75 this afternoon. If you can grow here you can grow anywhere, just make sure not to overwater or trust plants asking for full sun. This sun exposure is like a fucking heat lamp.
>>
>>1495185
Oh good so this is gonna be work. Glad to hear I'm not the only one
>>
>>1494245
Try a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water. It is possible that you have over watered the plant also. But hydrogen peroxide kills bad bacteria and fungi. I had to use them on my pepper plants not too long ago
>>
File: april19.png (50 KB, 1830x1824)
50 KB
50 KB PNG
>>1495185
Retarded weather you say? We had 20C by the end of February, even the late stuff like grape vines and hibiscus are already shooting, and now it's been the 5th night in a row barely dodging frost. Supposed to warm up now though
>>
anyone grew ma huang/ephedra?
teach me the basics
>>
File: heladas.jpg (58 KB, 460x259)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>80F all week
>92F yesterday
>35F right now
>snow expected

ALL the fruit trees are a full 1 month ahead of their normal blooming here. That's 2 weeks earlier than last year. Last year everyone in the area lost all their fruit due to early trigger blooming and hard frosts. I didn't have a single thing from any fruit trees last year. Looks like the same will happen this year.
>>
>>1495355
If the tree is small just cover it with a tarp or blanket.

If not just put a sprinkler on it the night before so that ice forms around the buds. It sounds counter intuitive but the ice will save the buds from the cold weather or frost.
>>
>>1495368
Some are 20 feet high or more.
>>
>>1495369
Save what you can accept the loses you cant.
>>
>>1495355
>tfw
sorry for your loss, anon
>>
>>1495077
Can't just check in your are or if some friend has one and cut a branch to make your own? Bit late now but probably doable.
>>
File: smudge-pots-photo.jpg (55 KB, 600x378)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>1495371
Seems like smudge pots would be the only thing viable to use.

>>1495372
It isn't over until it is over.

>>1495373
I've been trying to source late season cultivars. Those are ones that bloom far later and avoid the frosts completely. No one seems to grow those here.
>>
>>1495374
Ohh what a cool pic. I wonder how desperate you are getting to be risking to burn up all your trees to defeat frost.
Obviously not what you asked, but maybe you can try multiple kind of apple trees? I don't have them but other fruits often have different sprouting behavious, guess it changes depending on species and location in my garden. That way at least you get something instead of being all or nothing.
I usually never experience late frost tho, weather might get shitty for a while after a sunny end of winter but that's it.
>>
>>1495375
>risking to burn up all your trees

That's not how it works, though some people are idiots and have caused fires because they are idiots.

>try multiple kind of apple trees?

Read the rest of that post. This isn't a late frost problem specifically. Instead if a, "too warm for too long when it is supposed to be cold," problem.
>>
>>1495376
Ah, I see. The only shy tree i have is pomegranate I guess, even with all the warm weather it really took its time before doing anything. Now the weather is rainy but only slowed down them, fruit will pop up anyway. Hope you get better luck on finding those cultivars you are looking for.
>>
Just moved into a place with a backyard on a slightly steep incline, about 20 feet by 20 feet.

Any suggestions on what I can grow on a garden of this size? There is an apple three, but I'm thinking of constructing a growbed to make the ground level, but not sure what to grow.
>>
File: BannerImg.jpg (143 KB, 968x298)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
>>1495378
I wish I could grow pomegranate here. lol Thanks, I'd like to get a propane system, but while cheaper than smudge pots, they are still pretty expensive.
>>
>>1495379
Grow anything you like; for your hardiness zone. The incline won't matter too much. Well, maybe pumpkins and watermelons might need support to stop them from suddenly rolling.
>>
>>1495381
I'm in the UK, so was thinking of runner beans, maybe tomatoes, not sure what else but hopefully something I won't have to spend much time tending.
>>
>>1495381
This. You night have to research or just try your luck with species that how in close climate conditions to yours. I.e id you re in zone 8a, you could try something from zone 7 or even 9a. You might be surprised at the results, but that also depends on your growing expertise
>>
>>1495386
But yeah, if you want high yields, no effort and no risks, grow plants that do well in your specific zone, I.e plants for your 8a zone
>>
Closing on my first house in Northeast Ohio (6a) with more than half of an acre at the end of the month. I've been gardening on under 50 square feet for years, but this will be the first time I have had no real restrictions on space.

Any suggestions, advice, or tips for designing a new garden from scratch? I expect to have much better results than in the past thanks to more space and more sun, but I suspect that soil quality will be an issue for a few years.
>>
>>1494442
what's that plant in the row to the right?
>>
>>1495383
>not sure what else

What do you eat? What do you want to try to eat that isn't sold locally? Ever had yellow carrots, orange watermelon, or perhaps a spice/herb that you can only order online? Just herbs and spices themselves will be a lot better than the store bought stuff simply because they lose flavor and odor as they age. The store stuff is already rather old usually and the fresh stuff will be far more powerful and of the proper flavor.
>>
File: 1528540281677.png (50 KB, 1147x384)
50 KB
50 KB PNG
intense storms in the north east this morning.

Look at the temp drop when the front came though.
>>
File: tea search.png (4.89 MB, 1240x3429)
4.89 MB
4.89 MB PNG
>>1494919
>>1494929
I want to get some more stuff from strictlymedicinalseeds.com They have tea and tons of other species of plants labeled as "tea." See. pic. They even have >>1495342 ephedra. Some of it looks pretty interesting.

I have herbals, but most are mints. I'm hoping the epazote from last season comes up again. I didn't save seed from it, but there's billions of seeds all over the garden. I'm in zone 5 though and seems it is for zone 6, but maybe those seeds will work. The seeds I still have from what I purchased didn't sprout this season. If it doesn't, I may get more anyway and just save seeds from them and do it that way.
>>
Will refrigeration kill habanero seeds?

My chili seeds have sprouted but my habaneros still aren't doing anything.
>>
>>1495440
Sorry, I should clarify: I took the habanero seeds from a pepper I had in my fridge but once planted they weren't cold.
>>
>>1495434
Christ, that site is a real rabbit hole. I think I'll set aside some cash then buy a big load of different stuff.

>now need a bed dedicated for tisane in addition to the mint beds i already have

>>1495440
>Will refrigeration kill habanero seeds?

No, it is a good method to store them to maintain viability. Just make sure they are completely dried before putting into the fridge or freezer. Also, was the habanero pepper fully ripe? If the seeds were really pale/white then there's a chance they were not mature enough. Regardless, they like warmth for germinating. Cool temps are usually what makes for long germination times for viable seeds.
>>
>>1493414
I'm about to start a garden at my new place, and there's an old compost pile out back that looks like it hasn't been touched in years. Mostly grass clippings on top from what I can tell, not sure what's underneath. Is it worth using? I wouldn't want to mix any malignant seeds into my new garden, but it could be a good resource. Either way I wanna use the location for compost, so I gotta do something with it.
>>
>>1495453
You can add the material from it to a new pile and use a hot composting method to sterilize any seeds that may be in it. you can always mulch everything when you use it in your garden and not worry about weed seeds.
>>
>>1495454
Thanks, think I'll give hot composting a shot.
>>
File: 1547473310008.jpg (3.24 MB, 3494x3494)
3.24 MB
3.24 MB JPG
Sunflowers germinated
>>
File: 39c.jpg (82 KB, 640x659)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>When the forecast said temps were only going to dip down to 38 but the readings show 34 right now
>>
What are cheap DIY trellis ideas you guys use?
>>
>>1495468
Depends on what you need trellising. Last year for my grapes, I made use of some existing clothesline posts. They're made of steel pipes and spaced 40' apart, so I just bought a few T-posts to give extra support in the middle to the 4 lines of 12-gauge, galvanized, steel wire running across. The overall cost to build it was very low.

This is the setup that I'm using:
http://grapegrowingguide.com/grape-trellis.html

I just don't have the angled end posts however, and I use one-way anchor vises that can be adjusted to tighten the wires when needed.
>>
>>1495468
Last year's peas were happy to climb up some chicken wire I had lying around.
>>
File: 20190415_193906.jpg (878 KB, 2560x1440)
878 KB
878 KB JPG
Note to self: April is too early for basil...
>>
>>1495557
no supplemental light?
>>
>>1495573
No, they're on my south facing window too so rip. I'll start some new seeds in may
>>
>>1495575
Make a reflector using white paper or foil.
>>
>>1495581
That will stop them from leaning but not from being so leggy right? It's not that important, just thought i'll share the picture because they look so funny
>>
File: 1537812977725.jpg (2.18 MB, 3067x3083)
2.18 MB
2.18 MB JPG
>>1495585
If you get at least a light over them that could help.
I caught these guys before it was too late.
>>
File: 2019-04-15_19-06-38.jpg (653 KB, 1800x1200)
653 KB
653 KB JPG
>>1495557
Kek, I started pic related in November, and only gave it artificial lighting in the first 2 weeks or so. After that it's been on the indoor southern window sill, and for a couple weeks now outside. Got a bit of leaf damage because the last couple nights were cold but idgaf
>>
File: Collapsible Trellis.webm (1.98 MB, 480x276)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB WEBM
>>1495465
34F tonight's low, in the city, near the heater where the thermometer is. Out in BFE it is like 10F lower than what all the weather sites say.

>>1495468
It can depend on your sense of aesthetics, what materials you have, and what you are growing up the trellis. A cattle panel and some metal t-posts are great for heavier loads and making unique shapes like arches.

>>1495585
It can help legginess. Any additional light will help that.
>>
>>1495588
Nah i'll just wait. My tomatoes are doing fine actually, I think the basil is struggling because its a "black" variant
>>
File deleted.
What's happened with my bepper bois?
Leaf is all dried up half way and it looks like this on the underside? Other leaves have similar patches
>>
File: beper.png (874 KB, 545x735)
874 KB
874 KB PNG
>>1495644
Jesus that's huge, lemme resize that image
>>
Any experience growing tobacco here? Really thinking about growing my own to make some dip but mostly make some nicotine spray so I can stop putting poison on my garden.
>>
File: 20190415_171418.jpg (2.25 MB, 2560x1440)
2.25 MB
2.25 MB JPG
I got a bit of a crowding going on in my green house and I had some grasshoppers breach my green house
Sprayed a few of them with Raid
>>
>>1495656
despite the small seeds, they grow to be quite large. Just grow em in seed trays and stick them in the ground.
>>
>>1495663
Top left is fucking thirsty
>>
>>1495666
Over watered or heat stroke they all get water
>>
>>1495647
Too much water?
>>
>>1495557
They can be saved. Prick them out and re-bury the entire stem, all the way up to the leaves. Then put a light on them.
>>
File: tleaf1.jpg (36 KB, 640x480)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
Guys, I think I fucked up and overwatered my plants. My tomatillo seedling leaves look like pic related, which I've read is a sign of edema. My eggplant leaves are yellowing, despite having fed them very recently.

I've been told that plants are pretty resilient and I'm trying to to stress too much, but other than not watering for a while, is there some way I can fix this?
>>
>>1495747
Run a blow dryer over the pot, that'll fix 'er right up.
>>
>>1495747
Mine look the same, don't work about it. Tomatillos are nigh impossible to kill. They will sort things out when you put them in the ground or their final large pot. If they are already in that location then just reduce water a bit and ignore until harvest.
>>
Accidentally gave my pepper seedlings (6 to 10 true leaves each) .5 strength 12-6-8 instead of the usual .25 strength they get every 10 days. Think they'll be okay?
>>
I tilled my garden bed, and have about a month until it's warm enough to start seeding.
What should I do to stop grass from growing on the bed?
>>
>>1495462

How big do the sprouts get? How do you plant them?
>>
>>1495768
Give them another watering without fertilizer. Let it flush through and drain out.
>>
any good websites for a quick home gamer rundown on hydroponic / aquaponic / soilless food growing?
>>
>>1495747
I let the soil go dry before watering again. A little stress on the seedlings is good in the long run, and it helps prevent against things such as damping off and whatnot.
>>
>>1495794
trust jeb and only jeb. Jebgardener on youtube
>>
File: 1541758728125.jpg (759 KB, 3400x2200)
759 KB
759 KB JPG
>>1493906
is pic related the same book?
>>
>>1495393
Look into no-dig gardening, specifically Charles Dowding's website or YT channel.
>>
>>1495788
Cover in cardboard or poly tarps.
>>
File: 1539865244213.jpg (2.04 MB, 3063x2042)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
>>1495791
I pop them in my soil blocks when the tap root starts to come out.
I put the seed in the soil block hole, then fill the hole with peat moss or coco coir and water so there is good seed to soil contact.
Here is one of the first seeds that sprouted. I think its been about two days since I put them in the soil blocks.
>>
>>1495791
>>1495836
forgot to add, that is a toothpick on the left so you can get an idea of the seedling size.
>>
File: worry.jpg (3.11 MB, 2988x5312)
3.11 MB
3.11 MB JPG
/out/ please help.

I'm starting to worry about my babies. You probably saw them in previous threads but I'm talking about the bottom and middle left and right 4 plants. Roma Tomato, Basil, and Ghost Pepper and Carolina Reaper plants.

The Roma Tomato is the most prominent one and the Basil, Carolina Reaper, Ghost Pepper have grown true leaves so I decided to get them used to the Sun. They were started from seed in my office so today I moved them to the roof for 3 hours (Zone 10a, Southern California, 3-6 PM not during major, direct Sun but as it was less harmful) then brought them back inside to the office. The wind may have damaged the Roma Tomato or it may need additional care as the leaves seem to be turning yellow (look at the cotelydon [seed leaves] and some upper true leaves). What can I do? Is it safe to put it in its final big planter along with the basil (its wind protected and gets some Sun from 7am-12pm) or should I still baby it? Other alternatives are to start using Miracle Gro 16-16-16 fertiliser right now but I don't know if that is too strong.

The plan is to have each tomato plant 2x and pepper plant (also) 2x in their own containers with a basil companion plant. Obviously, the roma tomato and most mature basil plant need to be the first to go into the planter. The 2nd basil popped up over the weekend, I may have seen the 3rd rising above the soil in the evening, and the 4th still needs to sprout.
>>
File: duck.png (124 KB, 800x800)
124 KB
124 KB PNG
new to owning chickens

we have 4 isa brown that are currently malting, I setup my old phone to stream them for something entertaining

the phone is plugged in a battery bank, so it should last most days, in the future i am going to look at getting a ir light / ip camera and something to charge the battery, maybe a small solar panel

https://www.twitch.tv/saphik_farm/
>>
>>1495917
If you look for advice, also check here >>>2978079
>>
>>1495807
yes
>>
>>1495917
I've been thinking about owning chickens myself.

How much did you end up spending to build their coop?
>>
File: IMG_20190331_154951.jpg (3.26 MB, 3120x4160)
3.26 MB
3.26 MB JPG
>>1495747
I had a simmilar problem, those blisters would make a holes (pic), and later brown on the edges. I've left some of the leaves on and it didn't seem to bother the plant...
I'm not sure it's overwatering, I usually let them dry out and droop before watering, but I've done tests with lowered and hightened waterings and it doesn't seem to make a difference...
And it's also weird it only happened on Verde variety, not a single dot on purples...
Tldr, don't worry, don't overwater anyway...
>>
>>1495951
>>1495807
i did an oopsie; it's not the same book, the one you posted is called home farm; same author tho
>>
>>1495807
There're links to at least 4 of Seymour's books in the OP pastebin. Just search for, "Seymour," and they will be in the Books section, Self-Sufficiency subsection.
>>
File: 1552498724354.webm (1.1 MB, 1600x900)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB WEBM
well, from one system to another. Few hours of sun today.
>>
Anyone growing lemons? My lil tree of a few years actually grow flower this years (and consequentially lemons). Bur after two/three weeks they're still all the same size. I know it takes some times, but should I cut away some to help the growth of just a few?
>>
>>1495955
maybe it's some of those weird little bugs that live inside of plants sometimes, they lay eggs in plants and then the young somehow live inside in a blistery node and use the plant's sustenance. Then eventually they burst out at night when they are mature and leave
>>
>>1496066
I guess those blisters are usually more red looking though, and perhaps slightly smaller
>>
File: 1524234948149.jpg (2.73 MB, 3010x3010)
2.73 MB
2.73 MB JPG
Cucumbers in
>>
File: 1528881739204.jpg (3.3 MB, 3500x2333)
3.3 MB
3.3 MB JPG
>>1496089
>>
My fig trees are coming out of dormancy. First time growing figs and overwintering anything. I can finally sleep easy now
>>
>>1496089
Just seeded mine along with eggplant and corn.

I'm actually having really solid germination with using shallow cardboard boxes and an inch of soil for leafy greens.
>>
>>1495810
Stuff still grows. Sprouts and light green grass. Even when you lift up sidewalk panels left on the ground.
>>
>>1496128
same here. Eggplant and corn haven't popped yet.
>>
Do any of you grow for profit? What do you grow? On how much property? What are your profits?
>>
File: Apples.jpg (3.46 MB, 5312x2988)
3.46 MB
3.46 MB JPG
Should I plant these apple saplings so that the bend in the trunk (what's the technical term?) is just above the soil level?
>>
File: 20190416_155252.jpg (2.13 MB, 3264x1836)
2.13 MB
2.13 MB JPG
There's something really satisfying about my indoor space really filling in. It feels like a little rainforest in my house.
>>
File: 20190329_100251.jpg (2.43 MB, 4032x3024)
2.43 MB
2.43 MB JPG
7a here, I have severely underestimated the not only the stability of the weather but the sheer amount of labor involved in clearing 7+ years of neglect off of 1.5 acres and have conceded my vegetable garden for this season
I am still determined to grow something though, namely a "dwarf" fruit tree are there any other good resources out there theres I only 2 books, that I could find, in the pastebin about fruit trees and the one about dwarfs is about planting them in the ground
Also do birds like all poppies or does it have to be the heroine one?
>>
>>1496216
Did you also get rain for fucking two weeks straight?
>>
File: charcoal.jpg (205 KB, 1024x710)
205 KB
205 KB JPG
>Using charcoal ash from a grill in compost
Yea or nay?

I know there's certain chemicals used in the charcoal and whatnot, but doesn't it all burn off during the cooking process.
>>
>>1496217
Yea pretty much, the 2 days it wasnt raining I had to work all day
>>
>>1496198
do your led’s hum at all
>>
>>1496219
I had to look up using ash in a garden.

We only use hardwood charcoal.

Seems briquettes are not the way to go

Charcoal briquettes
• Made from the sawdust of scrap wood (including resinous soft woods and composite woods).
• Combined with chemical binders and filler (including coal dust) and manually compressed into their characteristic pillow shapes.
• Slower to light, often requiring lighter fluid.
• Burns cooler (closer to 700° to 800°F).
• Burns more quickly, meaning a shorter window for grilling, or requiring that you add more during grilling.
• Smoke produced may be neutral at best and can contribute harsh and off-tasting flavors to grilled foods.
• Contributes more pollutants to the air as it burns.
>>
>>1496219
I think i've read somewhere ashes from grill charcoal shouldn't go in compost pile but i absolutely don't remember the reason. Maybe it was some pdf from OP's pastebin on compost.
>>
>>1496216
I would suggest you get help from some of your family or friends, rent some powerful digger and smash the area you need cleaned and anything too close to it. After years of fighting a pointless battle against 20 years of garden neglect i came to the conclusion that the better strategy is to use your full battle power all at once. The "yeah i will do this thing today, tomorrow the other one until everything is solved" might work for some but most of times leads to more neglect and regret.
>>
>>1496219
From what I can tell, it's recommended against because of lighter fluid.
>>
>>1496232
Thanks for the info!

I've always used briquettes, so I guess I'll switch to natural hardwood charcoal in the future.
>>
>>1496240
hardwood smells so much better too
>>
>>1496232
>>1496219
>>1496240
>Wood char - Fuel for heating
>Mineral char - Fuel for heating
>Mineral carbon - Fuel for heating
>Limestone - Binding agent
>Starch - Binding agent
>Borax - Release agent
>Sawdust - Speed up ignition
>>
>>1496264
is that ingredients in basic briquettes?
>>
>>1496265
Just for Kingsford brand at least.
>>
>>1496267
ahh ok.
Yea haven't used it in a long time.
Started using hardwood after watching an episode of dirty jobs when we worked at some hillbilly hardwood charcoal place.
>>
>>1496065
Cut away the fruit you mean? Yes. After 5 years you can leave them. You want fast growth right now.
>>
>>1495917
Pretty neat. We need more stuff like that.
>>
>>1495952
Not him, but something that size doesn't look like much at all. Coop size will depend on how many chickens you'll be raising. Cost comes from building material type mostly. The main thing is to keep predators out.
>>
>>1495909
It just looks like it has too much water. Reduce water, and continue hardening off to the sun and wind. 3 hours is a bit much, but you say it was indirect? I'd start with one hour a day and work up. They need more light to begin with. If you exposed it to the sun now without more hardening off it will scorch and most likely die. You can use a shade cloth in its final location.
>>
>>1496106
lol Yeah, I had similar experiences with cuttings and graftings. The waiting is killer. Then things green up and it is like a weight is lifted.
>>
>>1496216
Sounds like you need to rent equipment and some people. Get it done and out of your life so you can move on to the things you want to do. Do you want to bonsai the trees in pots, but not really bonsai them? There's a french book about orangeries with potted trees greenhouses, but hell if I can think of the name right now and googling isn't helping at all.
>>
>>1496180
No, don't cover the bark. You just want to cover the root crown. If you bury the trunk, they may just rot out.
>>
>>1496168
Thus far, the only thing I sell for cash are eggs. This will be the first year I'll try selling some starts; mostly pepper and tomato plants. I do a great deal of trading for services and other goods. Leafy greens go over really well with the local vegetarians and some stop by to do some work in the garden or they hook me up with supplies of compost, manure, and the like. Others I will food crops for food crops or seeds/cuttings. I also pay some other people in food stuffs to do farm hand type work or even to get a tractor to come by and till up a patch of ground.
>>
File: New Thread.jpg (65 KB, 526x350)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
NEW THREAD: >>1496297
>>
>>1496228

Nope. They have fans though so those hum.
>>
>>1493864
how does he get out without breaking all the eggs?
>>
too much nutrients?
too much water?
why is it so hard just to do one gosh darn kratky jar

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.