[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 23 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

anyone ever hiked the AT? Considering hiking trying northbound next season.
Is it cool or is it a meme?
>>
>>1469957
>anyone ever hiked the AT?
Nope, you'd be the first ever.
>>
>>1470026
anyone currently browsing /out/ and more specifically, this thread, hiked the AT?
>>
>>1470032
stop being a lazy nigger and use the catalog >>1459416
>>
>>1469957
A meme.
>>
>>1469957
It can be cool.

But you can also find yourself surrounded by drugged up drunk neohippies who constantly look for handouts.
>>
>>1470768
t. Anon who has never hiked a long trail
>>
File: Appalachian Trail 044.jpg (4.89 MB, 3648x2736)
4.89 MB
4.89 MB JPG
>>1470773
it's true though, I hiked the entire thing, and if you aren't careful you get stuck in a bubble of people who are pretty much treating the whole thing like a big social event. And they are usually blazed as fuck. God help you if someone up and decides they want to hike with you. I literally had to wake up in the middle of the night and hike 20 miles, take a 3 hour nap, and then hike 20 more miles to get away from someone. I increased my pace to 25-30 miles a day after that and luckily never saw them again.
>>
Go southbound if you don't want to be around in tolerable people. Wonderful Trail though
>>
>>1471187
Lol wtf? Based Anon. Tell me more plz.
>>
>>1471187
>stuck in a bubble
>increased my pace to 25-30 miles a day
Ah, you're a normie. Makes sense you had issues with the bubble.
>>
>>1471312
t. pot smoking trail name faggot
>>
>>1471349
Couldn't be further from the truth, but keep working on making yourself feel superior. You're just another slow poke. As bad as the party groups, hippies, and other trail trash I pass.
>>
>>1470768
I hiked the AT for a month and only ran into three people (on yo occasions) who were like this. One was a couple who almost only packed extra clothes and a solar shower and thought they were going to forage/hunt their meals. They were actually unstable so I kept hiking. The other guy was homeless. You don't really have to worry about these people for two reasons: they don't hike and there's a rule that you can't stay in a shelter for more than one night (this rule is to prevent homeless people from living on the trail). If you just keep walking you won't be bothered. I never once encountered a thru hiker asking for things but I did encounter many weekend hikers leaving/giving away some of the things they over packed.
>>
>>1471187
You seem to view people different than the average person. I found the social element of the trail to be a welcomed surprise. It didn't change the fact that I don't most of the time hiking alone in silence but it made dinner really nice. I got to meet a lot of really cool people that I eventually never saw ever again and that was fine.
>>
>>1471446
>but keep working on making yourself feel superior
>just another slow poke

found the ultra light faggot, you can tell because of the hypocrisy and general smugness
>>
>>1469957
I used part of the trail to get to some other trails on a long camping hike. We left in the northeast in the spring. It was wet, nasty and cold. We got flooded out. We had some near disasters. We ended up deep in the sticks. For quite a while.
It was fucking spectacular! I wouldn't trade a second of those experiences for anything. We honestly only used a pretty short part of the active trail to get to some older inactive parts. From there we used some other trails to get deep.
>>
>>1471622
>hypocrisy
What hypocrisy?
>>
>>1471679
>says someone is trying to make them selves superior
>tries to make himself superior
>>
>>1471699
>hikes slowly
>moans like a bitch about the bubble
>unable to recognise naturally superior hikers
I wasn't trying anon, I'm just better than you.
>>
>>1469957
God we used to HATE you yuppies who come to Appalachia just to "walk a trail".
Bunch of hippy faggots and carpetbaggers.
t. Grew up in the Great Smokies.
>>
>>1472277
you are a faggot who doesn't even have a triple crown so anything you say is meaningless to me
and with how butthurt you are I almost wonder if you aren't that autist I ditched back in georgia
>>
I'm going to try to flip flop it in 2020. I would have done the whole thing nobo but just got popped for a possesion and am looking at a year probabtion, and by the time I am off it would be too late to be able to do a full thru hike. Oh well.
>>
>>1470768
Go SoBo then. You will just pass through bubble.
>>
>>1472802
nice LARP loser
>>
>>1473043
Why flip flop but not thru hike? I know how probation works but when your probation officer decides to visit, how are you going to get off the trail in time? If you have to go 5 hours in a car/train to make it home on a flip flop, what's the difference b/w adding another 3-5 hours?

You should section hike it and talk to your probation officer about that being your goal/plan. They are just trying to keep you out of trouble and being tied to a 2k mile track of dirt is the best way to do that. I have no idea how that'll go over with your probation officer btw, i just don't think an under the radar flip flop is realistic. I think your best chance at the AT is a cool probation officer or a section.
>>
File: 1495161938383.gif (1.37 MB, 264x264)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB GIF
>>1473107
>>
>>1473043
>a year of probation for drug possession
Americans lol
>>
>>1473043
>wants to hike the AT
>druggie
why am i not suprised
>>
>>1471187
>rucksack revolution
What a shitty book that was
>>
>>1472802
wow that's just a sad and very ironic statement anon
>>
>>1473442
Why would his PO let him take off in the woods for as long as he wants with a bunch of stoners? It’s not like asking your mom for permission.
>>
>>1469957
hiked flipflop to avoid the bubble, but wanted to summit kata so I started sobo in maine, then flew back up to finish.

It's not a meme if you want to do it, anon. Just follow your dreams. Be realistic though, I only left my job because I had something else lined up, and my husband took care of the house... if you have shit that needs to be taken care of while you're gone make sure you straighten that out.

The one thing that's a meme is mailing shit to yourself in advance. It's expensive, don't do it. Get someone at home to send you your packages.
>>
>>1474751
>The one thing that's a meme is mailing shit to yourself in advance.
But what isn't a meme is using a bounce box. USPS basically transported my spares, cold weather gear, and other stuff around the US for me.
>>
non-american here, what's the bubble ?
>>
>>1476244
>the bubble
US trail term for the main group of people hiking a trail. Most long trails in the US have a popular start date, this will be due to weather windows or national holidays. For example you get a spring break bubble on the AT, or the main bubble on the PCT will usually form around bottle necks like the Serrias mountains.
These fatctors group hikers together and form The Bubble.
You can avoid the bubble by starting a trail early, or pushing hard to hike through it. Even if you can't out hike the bubble you can avoid the worst of it by avoiding popular places to make camp and by doing as much of your hiking early in the morning or later in the evening.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.