[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: spring.jpg (334 KB, 1200x799)
334 KB
334 KB JPG
Hey /out/, I have never posted here before so please forgive me if this is off-topic.
I recently came into some land and though I have always liked the countryside I don't really know a hell of a lot. I want to understand a lot of the things that are going on so that I can make the best possible use of it, while being careful about conserving the place as its beautiful, and don't get fucked over by anyone.

In the lot there currently are:
-Goats and cows
-A fair amount of birds which I would like to know more about
-Bees
-Peruvian peppers, spiny holdbacks, a few olive trees and a bunch of shrubbery that I wish I knew the names of
-Beautiful red rock cave formations
-Most importantly though, there is a natural spring at the foot of the mountain. Right now we are in a very dry summer here, yet some parts of the lot are almost swampy from the water just springing out of the ground, even the little brook still runs. Even though I know nothing about nature or agriculture, I have a pretty strong intuition that this is extremely valuable.

How do I get informed /out/? What should I read? Thanks in advance.
>>
Btw, pic related is not my land and agriculture around these parts usually focuses on tomato, onion and potato, though recently some neighbours have started working with olive trees and pomegranates.
>>
>>1452305
Libraries are a good place to start with.
Also, you may be interested on the Homegrow thread on this board.
Welcome to /out/, now get out
>>
>>1452305
where is it?
>>
>>1452852
Use the catalog, anon, it's usually among the first threads
>>
>>1452852
Latin America
>>
Any old timers in the area? Ask them, like farmers or such
>>
>>1452991
I've talked to them and though they have some decent practical advice regarding potatoes and onions, they aren't very friendly for several reasons:
1. Some dumbass from the city suddenly owns the most valuable plot in the area.
2. I made the mistake of expressly stating to a few of them that I wanted to try something different to the tomatoes/potatoes/onions routine they've had going on for decades. They saw this as a slight to their received practical wisdom.

This is what I meant when I mentioned getting fucked over. Country folk around here can be a petty bunch.
>>
>>1452305
Fishing license + hunting license
>>
>>1453052
is there a local University with some kind of Ag prof or local forest prof? Someone to give you the lay of the land and tell what might be possible.
>>
>>1453201
This is a very good idea anon, thanks. There is a university about an hour and a half away, and I know for a fact they have an agricultural program. Will head over there sometime this week and see who I can talk to.
>>
>>1453128
>needing a license to use your own land
What kind of backward country are you in?
>>
>>1453128
There's nothing to hunt around here and I have cattle, but >>1453355 this dude is right, I don't need a license to fish here, and I've got plenty of delicious rainbow trout.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.