[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 23 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Now accepting credit card payment for 4chan Pass purchases and renewals. Click here for details.

File: deepseachungus.jpg (33 KB, 450x338)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
I'm interested in commercial fishing. What do I need to know?
>>
That in order to make the $5000 per tuna fish that these guys make you'll need to drop $250000 in equipment just to get to that point
>>
File: 22134.jpg (109 KB, 717x960)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>1451676
where do you want to work?
what is your age?
what are the fisheries there?
do you have any formal training?
do you want to work on land or at sea?
what position are you seeking?
>>
>>1451676
That it's actually really hard work and one or two bad seasons can ruin you if you're not careful with your money. If you want to be an owner/captain expect to spend the rest of your adult life in debt.
>>
Is salmon fishing still a thing in Alaska? There was this meme in Europe for years. Can I do it?
>>
>>1451856
It's a thing and no (you) can't do it
>>
File: 1460623005667.png (37 KB, 1127x685)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
>>1451870
Why?
>>
>>1451676
To start you need either a generations worth of money and work or know someone to be a deckhand. Usually do multiple things like nets for crabs and cats, duckblinds, and deer blinds
>>
>>1451887
If you're not a burger you'll need a work visa, and if you don't have any connections you'll have to work as a processor for a few seasons until you can get on as a deckhand. It's also really inconsistent from year to year. You might make $25k in three months or you might make $5k in three months.
>>
>>1451903
Thanks
>>
>>1451904
Honestly if you're young and in shape being a processor isn't that bad. The pay is more consistent then crewing, even if it's not as high. Being stacked like cord wood in the bunkhouses sucks, but you'll be working so much you'll be able to sleep through anything. Bonus points if you can get on freezer duty.
>>
>>1451856
>Is salmon fishing still a thing in Alaska?
Yes.

>There was this meme in Europe for years.
I have no idea what that means

>Can I do it?
Probably. The work isn't that hard but there's a lot of it.

>>1451903
>and if you don't have any connections you'll have to work as a processor for a few seasons until you can get on as a deckhand.
Bullshit. To get on as a deckhand the most important thing is to be able to ship at a moment's notice and that includes having all of the shit you need in a duffel bag and having a car to get to wherever the boat is coming in. No "oh, I need to talk to my landlord", no "oh, I need a few days to find a sitter for my animals", no "oh, I need a ride" - the only thing a captain wants to hear from you is "when do you need me". You obviously need some luck or a connection or both to get a job but a skipper is more likely to hire someone who takes their own initiative than reach out to some hump working as a processor with the usual crowd of flips, spics, chinks, drunks and the retarded because if you're working as a processor there's a good chance that you're effectively unemployable.
>>
>>1451676
Im a commercial fisherman in alaska. Tell me what you know so I can make you less ignorant more efficiently.
>>
>>1451903
You have some points, even if they're not wholly accurate. The mom and pop, 100k a season boats are really easy to get on. The trawlers, herring, and bering sea crab fisheries are the types of boats you need cannery connections for. Alternatively, you do odd jobs for everyone and their mom for a month. I made a lot of trawling connections this way.
>>
>>1452019
Right so honestly I don't even want to be a regular commercial fisherman, I just want to catch marine fish for science experiments and possibly breeding. I might sell captive bred fishes if it works out. Whether I would do this as a for-profit or non-profit business, I don't know, but I assume there are laws around these sorts of things so I want to do this as legitimately as possible.

The fish I would be after are sardines, mackerel, tuna, possibly salmon, sea urchins. I'd like to start light with the sardines and maybe the sea urchins.

I'm looking at fishing in Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Massachusetts, and Maine for the dudeweedlmao unironically because I expect to be out there for some time doing some learning and fishing hopefully and Colorado has spoiled me hard with the legal weed.

I guess a scientific collections permit would do but I want to transport the fish out of their state of origin and back to Denver because this is my home. I would like to display these fishes as a zoo/aquarium essentially, so people can visit and learn about marine fish and shit. I think landlocked people should care about the ocean, too.

The only things I really know that are relevant to this project are freshwater angling and aquaculture, but I certainly don't know everything there is to know.
>>
>>1452188
Also ideally I would like to collect some of these animals, namely tuna, as juveniles so that they have the best chance of survival in and adaptation to captivity. But again, I'm likely going to breed these animals and raise them to a marketable size. Though I'm also going to be as transparent about this as possible because I want to display these experiments to the public if they work. No trade secrets, just scientific progress.

Should I just get a natural resources lawyer desu?
>>
>>1452192
your largest impediment isn't going to be the law. Most fish have planktonic stages during which they feed on even more plankton, and all that plankton is extremely difficult to culture in the aquarium. The upshot of this is most marine fishes haven't been cultured in captivity at all. I assume that's going to be your first problem.
>>
>>1452188
>>1452192
Not going to happen. When pelagic fish are collected as live specimens for farming or exhibition they're netted or caught with barbless hooks as juveniles and kept in fuckhuge live tanks on ships and on top of that they're virtually impossible to breed in captivity. IIRC only a couple of farms in Japan have been able to raise tuna from eggs and only a few (and I mean a few) aquariums in the world have enclosures large enough for them; a tank for a school of bluefin is the size of an apartment building.
>>
>>1452201
Yeah I’m sure there will be lots to learn.
>>1452204
Yeah and you’ve verified yourself with your own experiments that this is impossible despite there being other examples of it in practice? Thanks for telling me how to catch them, though. I guess I’ll just need natural resource attorneys to get the proper permits.
>>
>>1452211
>I guess I’ll just need natural resource attorneys to get the proper permits.
in the US it's literally just a fishing license
>>
>>1452215
So what are your hourly rates for consultation? What law school did you go to?
>>
>>1452223
lol

you can literally just call, email, or write the department of fish and game for the state you plan on fishing by. Tell them what you plan to do and they'll tell you what you need.

My only experience is fishing for live animals to put in my aquarium, but I've never run into anything that can't be taken alive and shipped across the country with a fishing license. I suppose if you want endangered species or were fishing for a large commercial operation that would be a different story, but what you describe sounds like catching live fish for an aquarium. Which requires a fishing license.
>>
>>1452234
So you're not a lawyer. And you don't know that people who work for DNRs sometimes don't know their own laws and won't even respond back to you if they feel what you're doing is unethical by their personal standards.
>>
>>1452240
>government employees whose entire job consists of answering that legal question don't know the answer.
look, kid, hire a lawyer if you want, I'm not going to tell you not to. I'm sure the thousand dollars you spend to learn what I just told you will be well worth the money.
>>
>>1452242
You’re right I should get all my legal advice from 4chan.
I would need AT LEAST a scientific collection permit for the use I’m planning on but Idk if that actually allows me to transport fish out of state, let alone make money selling their flesh.
>>
>>1452250
>I would need AT LEAST a scientific collection permit for the use I’m planning on
I know, you love to play scientist and pretend that scientific endeavor is elevated with all sorts or esoteric fees and secret licenses. For the most part that's not true.

Even if it were, what you plan isn't science. It's an aquarium. Or a zoo. Or a museum. Or ivory sniffing dog services. Or whatever.
>>
>>1452188
I'm the fisherman from before. I read your dumbass posts. You don't really have anything other than a pipe-dream it seems, and with the inability to do even remedial research is laughable. The type of work you're interested in is possible, just not in the retarded way you want to do it. In any fishery with a modicum of control involved, they have giant net pens called hatcheries. Thats what you want to look into. I don't know anything about it, other than a degree in marine biology is required. Call the fish and game number for whatever county in whatever state you're in about them.
>>
>>1452252
Hello from /an/ to you, too, anon.
A quick rundown on the data I'm planning on collecting:
>feed to gain ratio
>gain per day
>carcass weights before and after processing
I'm sorry for being more ambitious than you, anon. Also, ivory dogs would just be a hobby. It's not something I want to make a career out of at all. It'll just be called a zoo btw stop being triggered that it'll be a little more than just animals in cages.
>>1452274
>You don't really have anything other than a pipe-dream it seems
As have said many fools.
>and with the inability to do even remedial research is laughable.
I just want to verify that information myself, chief, but go off.
>The type of work you're interested in is possible, just not in the retarded way you want to do it
I'm not trying to get into a practical business of raising tunas btw I just fucking FEEL like it.
>In any fishery with a modicum of control involved, they have giant net pens called hatcheries.
Cool.
>Thats what you want to look into.
It's not, I don't want to do it that way. I'll be using hatchery methods, but no sea pens.
>I don't know anything about it
Yet I'm the dumbass...
>other than a degree in marine biology is required
It's not, stop falling for the "you need a degree for that" meme unless it's a medical career.
>Call the fish and game number for whatever county in whatever state you're in about them.
I'll call a proper natural resources lawyer. Thanks for nothing.
I really need to stop asking 4chan questions I already have the answers to kek
Damned if I troll and damned if I try to have a decent thread.
>>
>>1452252
Also
>For the most part that's not true.
https://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/license_permits_apps/scientific_taking_permit.asp
>Any person must have in possession a valid Scientific Taking Permit issued by the Department in order to take fish from the waters of this state for scientific or educational purposes.
Just learn to shut the fuck up, ok?
>>
>>1452298
Lol. You'll be using hatchery methods in a landlocked state? You really are retarded.
Hatcheries have multiple functions, the first one of them is to raise fish, something that someone with a diminutive IQ like is unlikely to be capable of doing.
The second function is to weigh traveling fish, something a retard like you would probably ignore since you would raise them in an aquarium.
The third function is to release the little jacks into the ocean so the can feed on their own.
With how retarded you seem to be you would probably end up with a lot of dead fish a la P.T Barnum.
>>
>>1452302
I’m not sure why you’re seething, triggered, and trying to get this thread saged, but go for it, dude. I’m sorry I want to raise a sample size of wild caught pelagic fish, possibly breed them using modern aquaculture practices, and display them to the public on top of that so landlocked people learn to give a fuck about the ocean and the food it supplies for them. Again, I’m just going to start light with the anchovies. This isn’t even on my list of top ten priorities with everything else I got going on now, but it is entertaining to think about.

If you don’t think it’d be cool to see different marine fishes in different stages of life development, especially for someone at least a thousand miles from any coast, I’m afraid you’re the retard.
>>
Sage wasnt in options. Its been my default name for a while.

The issue I have with your pipe dream is the way you think sea life operates. You see anchovies and want to isolate them because you'd think it'd be neat without taking into consideration they only work because they are a small part of a very complex machine. They eat zooplankton and small animals which eat photo-plankton which requires sunlight and tides. You gonna simulate a micro biome with giant fans and lamps you fucking doo-doo brain, or are you going to do nothing because you just have a pipe-dream?
>>
>>1452321
I know how the sea food web works, anon.
>They eat zooplankton and small animals which eat photo-plankton which requires sunlight and tides.
Yeah, I know. These conditions can be simulated. What anchovies need nutritionally could be entirely simulated, but I think it’d be cool to have everything from the smallest plankton to the largest tuna and all their life stages in display to the public.
I’ll be starting with culturing plankton at home since I can just order those online but I’ll travel even for anchovies to make sure they’re healthy fish from a reliable source if not caught by yours truly and appropriately packaged and shipped back to Denver. Gives me excuses to spend time with the ocean, honestly. I wouldn’t move to a coast. It’s like an alien planet to me, but I do like to visit.
>>1452321
>You gonna simulate a micro biome with giant fans and lamps
Yeah pretty much. Microbiomes are my jam.
>>
>>1452325
Oh, you're not a retard, you're just a fully functioning woman. Gotcha. You won't do anything anyways so I won't waste any more energy on you.
>>
>>1452326
Not a woman, but thanks for not wasting my time anymore.
>>
>>1452329
You talk like an idiot child, and that's mostly chastised out of men by the time they are old enough to go on "whimsical" adventure. Why don't you go ahead and smoke some more pot you absolute waste of flesh.
>>
>>1452333
>Why don't you go ahead and smoke some more pot
Weed store doesn’t open for like another forty minutes.
Would you like to elaborate on how I’m a waste of flesh and you’re not?
>inb4 because you smoke jazz grass
>>
>>1452336
Because for all your hubris, your incapability shows through your use of 4chan. You live in colorado, you smoke pot, you romanticize nature. You are not going to accomplish anything in life.
>>
>>1452342
>You live in colorado, you smoke pot, you romanticize nature
Imagine thinking this is a bad thing.
>>
>>1452019
If I drive up to alaska with a sign that says "Ready to work hard and learn fast" and troll around a large dock what are my odds of getting on a boat?I want to travel in a van for a few years and this seems like a good way to get enough money in a few months to last awhile.
>>
File: 97.jpg (37 KB, 1263x841)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>1452188
>>1452192
I worked for many years as an advisor for a french guy for who owns a tuna farm. Youre in for a hard wake up call buddy. You wont get them to breed in captivity, you wont raise them from egg stage, no one has yet to do this.. ALL the tuna are caught in purse seines (you'll need to buy one or two of those) and theyre slowly towed to the location where they will be farmed in pens. You basically have 2 options if you want to get hands on experience raising tuna in captivity, Australia & Mexico. Japan doesnt pen raise tuna anymore after the tsunami. 95% of these pen raised tuna are harvested for the japanese market. You'll also need to purchase a bait boat to harvest sardines for feed. When I worked in AU the farm owners were very very protective of their work, you would need a valid reason other than the bullshit you keep spouting on 4chan to do your studies there. In Mexico you will need to firstly obtain some type of working credential such as research staff for the scripps institute (mine) or bio/sci doctoral thesis study from SI (mine also) to obtain the papers from the secretaria de pesca-acuacultura y desarrollo agropecuario to access the ajacent waters. here is a picture from google showing the tuna pens I worked at. The circles are the pens themselves. The only access is by boat to thwart thieves and vandals. you have to take those things into consideration as well.

Your Larping seems ridiculous but good luck anyways faggot.
>>
>>1452394
Your chances are 100%. Kenai is good for salmon in even years, all the other fisheries are good in odd years. Id recomend you start in kodiak, since its warm year round. A 30 degree winter means you just need a sleeping bag with a space heater hooked up to a battery in your van.
You don't need a sign either, just your boots, bib, and deckhand license. You want to start looking about a 2 weeks before a season starts because as a greenhorn, there is a lot of gear work.I'm doing the same thing you want to do until I decide to build a small starter cabin. Its fun and fulfilling.
>>
>>1452394
Figure out what you CAN do, what you can't do and what youre willing to learn to do..utilize all your skills.
My first job there was basically cleaning & standing in one spot for 12 hours on a processor looking though plexiglass screen at blast fish rolling by. Got paid, I drank but it wasnt that good a job. working as a laborer was asked to move some stuff pallets of cans went and got on the fork and moved it, shift leader was like you can drive a forklift? I worked at a equipment rental yard, I can drive and service anything. guy told the sup and the owner sent me to some safety classes and got my cert for forklift. Drove with them for almost 8 years.

Pro tip 1: Get a couple of "god" stickers on the van. No john3;16 or cursive "blessed" shit, just some "saves" or a church cross type of sticker. Scuff it up so it dont look new. People are onto that shit. Also dont say "blessed" you just sound like a native that just got out of jail. Act like a god fearing white man. Every real job I had there was ran by some god fearing fucker with 5 kids and a devout albeit lonely wife.
#2: Dont fuck the wife.
>>
>>1452432
Okay so maybe I won’t breed tuna. Guess I’ll still catch and stock the fuckers, though. I was really going to leave the breeding tunas part to a proper fish vet, anyways. But thanks.
>>1452455
>>1452394
Good luck to you, lads. For me it was learning to cowboy even though I grew up in suburbia. Adventureless fags are lame.
>>
>>1452465
>I ride animals in a stadium
>Look I'm an adventurer mom
>>
>>1452496
Kek, but no , my tuna ranching LARP even tho a LARP is a real adventure
>>
>>1452496
But I don't ride animals in a stadium, anon.
>>1452505
>asking questions
>aggressive
Oh lawd.
>>
>>1452299
>Just learn to shut the fuck up, ok?
you aren't doing science.

what part of that don't you understand?

taking fish out of the ocean and trying to breed them isn't science. Science is when you try for 30 years, finally succeed, and write a paper about it. Nothing you plan to do is science.
>>
>>1452519
Mhm. Yes. And how does that make you feel?
>>
wanna fish crabs hit the heroin slit my wrists to six six six
>>
>>1452519
I'm taking tuna from the ocean to 5000 feet altitude and growing them in my bathtub with vape residue,vthats science my gro
>>
File: scienceish.png (23 KB, 611x454)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
>>1452820
meh
I live at 10000 feet and have a thousand gallon saltwater tank in my basement. I've kept tuna before. Well, jacks anyways. The interesting thing about the marine fish I keep is all of them came from sea level to 10000 feet. My career as a high-altitude marine fishkeeper has resulted in well over 9000 sciences so far.
>>
>>1452820
Why are you such a hater, bro? It’s pretty lame.
>>1452831
You started to sound like a cool dude until
>My career as a high-altitude marine fishkeeper has resulted in well over 9000 sciences so far.
Post published literature if you have it tho that actually would interest me.
>>
>>1452863
>Post published literature if you have it tho that actually would interest me.
I was joking, sorry. Keeping fish in the mountains is an extremely common hobby, it's not really science.

if you get tuna to reproduce in captivity I'm pretty sure that would interest the scientific community. But I still don't think you'll get a permit for scientific collection because you lack some important documents.
>>
>>1452883
Ok, anon, then it’s not for “science”. I just want to round up juvenile tunas and raise them in my own tanks, even though I would be recording feed to weight ratios, gain per day, survivability through stages of development, etc. Is that so bad? I’m going to try to get sardines to reproduce first after culturing phyto and zooplankton, the latter which really any retard can do now. If I can get sardines to reproduce, I’ll try mackerels next. If I can even do that, I’ll try tunas after that.
I honestly enjoy eating all those fishes and I think it would be neato to raise them myself and breed if possible, however impractical. I guess I can wholesale whatever amount of fish I possibly won’t be able to consume on my own before expiration. But really, it’s just for pleasure. I figured there must be some science involved in all this, but I guess it’s actually a sort of magical and “whimsical” art if you really insist on it.
>>
>>1452899
My dad is blind, he's allowed to fish all he wants for free.

If I call up his state and say I'm blind and want to fish for free they're going to ask for proof.

just like when you call up whatever state you're fishing from and ask for a permit to collect for science they're going to want proof that you are indeed doing science. You don't have this proof.

and in both my case and yours it's far cheaper to just pay for the damn fishing license instead of trying to prove we're either blind or doing science. Because very frankly I can't prove I'm blind and you can't prove you're doing science.
>>
>>1452899
>>1452906
...unless of course you're keeping endangered species.

in that case a fishing license won't work. You'd' need the collection permit. But again you've have to prove you're doing science in the public sphere and while I know how to do that you presumably don't.
>>
>>1452899
You: Hello, California Fish and Game?
Them: Yes, how can I help you?
You: I need a permit to collect scientific samples please
Them: ok, that's $28, what's your institution?
You: I don't have an institution
Them: Ok, what's the EIN of your parent?
You: The what of my what?
Them: what company are you working for?
You: I'm an individual researcher
Them: Ooookaaay, what's your award number?
You: my what?
Them: What's the DUNS of your entity?
You: huh?
Them: Your DUNS on SAM?
You: You should learn when to shut the fuck up, I at least need a permit to collect scientific samples!
Them: Ok sir, what's your address?
You: 1680 apt B, Whoreson's Lane, Lakewood CO
Them: ok, thank you. Police are on their way. Please comply for your own safety
You: what did you just say to me you little bitch?
>>
>>1452906
I already said it’s not for science since you keep insisting, bro. Not sure what you’re triggered about still.
>>1452916
>unless of course you're keeping endangered species
And I’m not.
>>1452925
Anon, you actually really need to learn to shut the fuck up. This is pathetic even for you.
>>
>>1452932
>This is pathetic even for you.
I'm just having a giggle mate

I've done what you want to do, I know how to get it done. I'm advising you. For free even.

Last time I did it I bought a fishing license in Hawaii where I caught 2 naso tangs and an Achilles. Only one of the nasos survived shipping, but next time I'm there I'm going after monster achilles. Those shits are uber expensive at the lfs and there's thousands of them in Hawaii.
>>
File: achilles.jpg (150 KB, 400x286)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
>>1452932
I mean would you rather spend $999 at the fish store or take a trip to Hawaii and then spend $46 for a fishing license and $75 for next day shipping for your live fish?

Personally I like to visit Hawaii
>>
>>1451842
This.
Boat =
Bail
Out
Another
Thousand
>>
>>1451842
>If you want to be an owner/captain expect to spend the rest of your adult life in debt.
that's just business.

you should never go into business on your own dime. Risk someone else's money.

which means debt. If you're in business and not in debt you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>1452939
>>1452948
Wait what? I thought Hawaii banned catching wild fish for aquariums. Are there some kind of loopholes or did they just quietly uplift that?
>>
>>1452960
>just borrow some money from the Israeli loan sharks
Carl, that kills people. You should at least have the same amount of money you plan to borrow at hand as collateral.
>>
File: P3280066.jpg (3.19 MB, 4608x3456)
3.19 MB
3.19 MB JPG
>>1452961
hush now

Zebrasoma flavescens hasn't been bred in captivity yet but you'll find some in almost every fish store in the US.

don't ask, don't tell
>>
>>1452964
said no businessman ever

look, if I lose your money I declare bankruptcy and go right on with my business.

what happens if I lose MY money?
>>
>>1452969
>have $250,000
>borrow another $250,000
>actually pay it off
>still have my other $250,000
If you really are a businessman and don’t just have money to burn, anyways.
>>
>>1452973
yes, credit is critical to business, so you have to pay your investors off sometimes with interest.

but the only reason credit matters is so you can risk other people's moneys.

It's a vicious circle, but as a business owner I don't measure my net worth by what I have, but by what I can borrow. I can go to the bank tomorrow and get a million and a half US cash. If I pay it back then next time I can get even more. If I don't pay it back then I got a million and a half.

either way I win.
>>
>>1452979
>>>1452979
>I don't measure my net worth by what I have, but by what I can borrow.
Holy shit you’re literally just another debt cow for the Hebrews
>>
>>1452983
>Holy shit you’re literally just another debt cow for the Hebrews
Yes.
you got it.

you're never going to make it big off your own labor.

Unless you're a rock star or an NFL player you're going to have to borrow money and learn to use it.
or be poor
that's fine too
>>
>>1452986
>you're never going to make it big off your own labor
Lol anon I’m not poor anyways. Besides, I’m a “don’t bite off more than you can chew” kind of guy. There’s several examples of small businesses becoming large, successful businesses.
But don’t worry, you can fail your own business and go into bankruptcy however you like.
Can we at least agree that going into debt for fucking hobbies is retarded? Imho you really should at least try to do what you like for a living, as long as it’s something even reasonably productive.
>>
>>1452987
I'm a millionaire, I've declared bankruptcy twice already.

I would never go into debt for a hobby. Don't risk money on something that doesn't pay.

Nobody does what they like for a living, If you like doing it nobody will pay you to do it. Unless you're a freak that likes doing things nobody else likes. As a general rule nobody will pay you to do something people would willingly do for free.
>>
>>1452992
>As a general rule nobody will pay you to do something people would willingly do for free.
So yeah, you do something other people wouldn’t do for free that you enjoy because you are an individual with drive. Just stay miserable, I guess. Ima try to Howard Hughes it and just land on the family business safety net if I don’t succeed but still have my faggot hobbies.
>>
>>1452992
Lol. Commercial fishing isn't a hobby. It's a dafe investment that has a high entry rate to gate keep losers. Top guys in a salmon fleet make 1 million dollars for 4 months of work easily.
>>
>>1452995
You'll do fine because mommy and daddy di the real work for you.

I understand. Like I said I'm a millionaire. And like I said I made my money in business.

and as you may know I have 2 sons much like you that will fall back on my money because they never had to work for a damn thing in their lives. I don't hate you.

Like I said before you remind me of my son. I'm not miserable, you just have no idea what I did to make your life easy.
>>
>>1453003
Lol wait a sec, /paleo/ schizo is that you?
>>
>>1453008
hush now before I go off on the patent jugal formana in A. fragilis as evidence against Proceratosaurus inclusion in Tyrannosauridae
>>
>>1453011
Mfw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vq_pjh1y2Ec
I should have known.
>>
File: bob and rex.jpg (1.75 MB, 3311x3559)
1.75 MB
1.75 MB JPG
>>1453008
you do realize schizoanon is also the guy in the Colorado mountains with the 1000 gallon marine fish tank, right? Also the millionaire environmental contractor on /biz/ correct?

I'm a couple different people, I've done a couple different things.
>>
>>1453018
>you do realize schizoanon is also the guy in the Colorado mountains with the 1000 gallon marine fish tank, right?
Yeah I remember you from the “guess I’ll build my own zoo” thread but I didn’t know it was (you). Pls stop trying to be my dad btw I smoke pot with boomer friends older than you.
>Also the millionaire environmental contractor on /biz/ correct?
I knew you did that sort of thing, just haven’t caught you in /biz/ I guess.
>>
File: P7040061.jpg (1.9 MB, 3264x2448)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB JPG
>>1453025
I'm not trying to be your daddy.

I don't even try to be my own son's daddy.

you're a grown ass man, you can do your own thing. You just remind me of my sons. That doesn't make me your dad.

You are a lot like me is all. So I offer advice. You don't take it. That's also very much like me.
>>
>>1453028
Holy fuck schizanon you’re actually reminding me of the Murry Wilson character in Love & Mercy.
>You are a lot like me is all. So I offer advice. You don't take it. That's also very much like me.
Tbf what even is your advice? I’m just going to start with a proper homestead to provide myself with a self reliant source of food and also my own roof. Should everything else fail, I’ll at least have that.
Once I got that down successfully I’ll open it to the public as a “zoo”. It might not have lions and tigers and elephants, but people can stroll through a working farm with livestock and hay fields with a day’s admission if they’d like. If and when I start getting revenue going into the zoo, I’ll start getting crazy with it.
Honestly the only advice I could possibly use is if I should register as a non-profit or not.
>>
This thread really went off the rails.
>>
>>1453036
I've already given you my advice
You can take and transport tuna with a fishing license

Yes, you should incorporate as a nonprofit and obtain a DUNS number to register on SAM for federal grants. There's literally no reason to spend your own money on science.
>>
>>1453038
All mine do, unfortunately.
>>
>>1453039
>You can take and transport tuna with a fishing license
Ok anon, I’ll actually ask the DNRs in the morning instead of just sending an email at 3 am.
>Yes, you should incorporate as a nonprofit and obtain a DUNS number to register on SAM for federal grants. There's literally no reason to spend your own money on science.
Thanks, bro. May as well do that now, honestly. Don’t I need a name for this shit, though? Got any advice for a name unironically?
>>
>>1453038
>This thread really went off the rails.
it's completely on track

If OP wants to know what to do to get a job on a commercial fishing vessel that's been covered

If OP wants to know what to do to captain a commercial fishing vessel that's also been covered.

If OP needs to know what to do to collect specimens for science, that's been covered.

there's literally no aspect of OP's question that we haven't covered.
>>
>>1453041
>Don’t I need a name for this shit, though? Got any advice for a name unironically?
yes.

the name on your birth certificate will do fine if you can't think of one.
>>
>>1453044
>the name on your birth certificate will do fine if you can't think of one.
Lmfao good one, anon. I meant a name for my organization. You know, the muscle museum zoo of danger and excellence, but something besides that. Or can I unironically register myself as a non-profit? I mean, I guess Joel Osteen did it...
>>
>>1453047
Most business entities are registered in the owner's name.

so yes, you can very certainly register yourself as a nonprofit. I don't know anything about that since I personally am registered as 3 different for-profit companies in our state.

any accountant or corporate attorney should be able to help you register yourself as a non-profit for a couple hundred bux. After you do it once you'll be able to submit the paper on your own for free.
>>
>>1453053
What if I think my name is fucking gay
>>
>>1453058
pick a different one and then search the entire US to make sure nobody else is using it.

take my advice, your gay name is a lot cheaper and easier than coming up with a corporate name.
>>
>>1453061
>The Anon Foundation
Just sounds pretentious tbqh but I guess it would be a top meme, too.
>>
>>1453068
I'll bet $20 it's already taken
>>
>>1453070
Honestly I don't even want to name it that anyways.
>>
>>1453042
But is OP a faggot or not?
>>
>>1453109
hairy erect cock rubbing against the roof of his eager mouth faggot for sure
>>
>>1453112
>>1453109
But is it gay if I only suck my own dick?
>>
>>1453174
a little bit, yes
>>
>>1453222
I guess I can live with being gay for myself.
>>
File: DCI8876 212.jpg (167 KB, 720x960)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
>>1452961
its locked down brah, including rocks, sands, shells and corals unless marked for exports. why you asking? you need some fish brah?
>>
>>1453272
>unless marked for exports
Haha holy fuck so there is a loophole?
>you can’t catch aquarium fish for the Hawaiian hobby aquarium trade but you can sell them to anyone else from anywhere else
Is that correct?
>>
>>1451676
But a camper van
Fish in Alaska all summer
Save the fat dish you make
Drive South before you're snowed in
Spend next 8 months drinking, smoking and surfing
>>
>>1453591
Is it true you can just buy any vehicle in the lower 48 and get at least a thousand in Alaska if it runs?
>>
I just worked for six months for a 5000 dollar crab season and i wish I was dead
>>
>>1455782
Crab sucks bro. I do kenai salmon in even years, kodiak salmon in odd years, and log felling in between
>>
>>1451676
70% of the people are junkies. Its honestly pretty annoying but their fun to go to the bar with and they only last a few months so you dont have to see them forever. You spend a lot of time at sea and get raped on taxes. Learn how to tie knots really good and really fast also remember its real easy to take that pill or do that line and then all the money you will make will be gone. I bring about 8 changes of clothes and some extra warm weather gear.

Im a clammer and its easy as fuck. The clams will probably all be gone in a few years with how much we have been grinding. I make ok money. Oh and learn to weld or be a mechanic or cook or something. It just helps.
>>
>>1457029
>log felling in between
how do you get into this as a seasonal rather than year-round worker? just start by setting chokers and be up-front about your plans?
>>
>>1451676
when did Woolie grow a beard? man, i miss tbfp
>>
>>1457425
Log felling is nigh seasonal. They give you work that suits your experience, and you get payed more regularly then fishing. The only hard thing is getting contact info.
>>
>>1457591
Idk about doing it for a job but felling a Sitka spruce for my own lumber sounds cool. What do?
>>
>>1457636
You looking for building material or fire wood?
>>
>>1458004
Building material ofc. I never knew Sitka spruce for being an excellent firewood lmao
>>
>>1458295
It's not ideal, but it works in a pinch. Youre going to want to make an upside down smile on the side you want it to fall on. Saw through the other side to the base of the cut, when it falls hack off all the limbs, the saw the trunk into workable, movable chunks. Youre going to want to let it cure for a whole winter before you start to process it.
>>
File: 32154154545.jpg (288 KB, 1536x2048)
288 KB
288 KB JPG
>>1451676
>drive uber anchorage
>drive cheechako fishmens
>riviera terrace trailer park
>we make talk
>made 7k for 5 months!
>"dam you guy baller"
>ask me how much
>400 this month time hard brother
>they each gibs me $20 tip
>god bless brother..

this how old sourdough makes 3k a month without breaking his back in anchorage.
>>
>>1458338
I mean, can I just fell a Sitka spruce literally anywhere in Alaska? Don’t I need to give the DNR $15 or something?
>>
I'm a burger, about to finish school, and unless one particular job opportunity materializes I'm planning on fishing this summer.

Any tips? I'm 100% flexible on timing and location. The more money the better, but all I really want is enough for car insurance/gas/rice and beans.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.