[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 81 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Now accepting credit card payment for 4chan Pass purchases and renewals. Click here for details.

Anyone here live the vanlife? I want to learn more about it.
>>
>>1449525
Youtube dude
>>
If your van looks like your pic , its vanlife.
If you have dreadlocks and you beg for gas and your rig is a spray painted 20 year old heap, then you are living bumlife.
This is not negotiable.
Vanlife costs about 50k to get started and then about 1500 to 5000 dollars a month to maintain the lifestyle.
Bumlife costs the 4000 dollars it takes to buy a decroded old ford then you beg (yes this includes busking) for food and gas.
>>
>>1449528
>1500 to 5000 dollars a month to maintain the lifestyle.
What are you spending that kinda cash on monthly? My rent, utilities and food is cheaper than that.
>>
>>1449525
It's too expensive unless you want to piss in bottles in some shitty old ford van.
>>
Car campers are fucking cancer
>>
>>1449530
Seconded. Christ, 5k a month is expensive, curious how you got to that figure. Even a nice hotel room once a week isn't super expensive
>>
>>1449741
$1500 to $5000 depending on your lifestyle.
If you are very frugal maybe less but remember you are traveling .
Have you ever taken a vacation?
>>
>>1449751
>you are traveling .
Don't talk bullshit, living not traveling and make a nice holidays.
>>1449527
its cheap in the long run but you need a financial shot. I not a expert and don't have one but the research of my own: valued 5-10k for conversions on your own, month of work and used Van start with 10k+. There are enough youtube vid and blogs on cost etc about van life.
>>
>>1449815
Vanlife = traveling
If you keep your job and stay in one city that is not vanlife
>>
>>1449528
1500 is gonna be on the high end
I don't live out of my truck but I spend a third of that on a 2 week camping / road trip and I'm covering 3500km.
I don't think most vanlifers travel that much in as short of a time, instead spend more time parked at specific beaches or instagram photo spots
>>
>>1449828
Yes but you are not counting all your bills that you have anyway.
Insurance
Cellphone
You need a storage locker somewhere
Eating out constantly is something most of the vanlife crowd does .
there is always new gear to buy
Health insurance ... it all adds up. It is not cheap just to be a person in the usa.
The only bills you dont have are electric and rent.
You still need propane especially if you travel in cold places or like a nice long hot shower.
Ice cold beer sign on the side of the road and I always stop for a few..
Coffee shops alone I can spend 300 in a month..
>>
>>1449870
even still $1500 is a lot
>Insurance
$70 a month
>Cellphone
$25
>You need a storage locker somewhere
ok I don't have that bill
>Eating out constantly is something most of the vanlife crowd does.
sure, that's a choice and can add up fast
>there is always new gear to buy
sure
>Health insurance
provincial healthcare is just fine
>It is not cheap just to be a person in the usa.
usa, there's your problem

sounds like you waste a lot of money
you should be able to be quite comfortable on $1500 a month, $2000 and you could live like a gypsy king
>>
>>1449525
just make sure you are able to get a place down by the river
>>
>>1449879
The USA is the best for being homeless, heck you can eat like a king on food stamps and medical is free, tents and sleeping bags can be had for free at any homeless shelter, free cell phones from the government, free bus passes, free motel rooms for a few weeks at a time, free clothes from Goodwill, fuck everything is free
>>
>>1449525
Forget sleeping like pic related if you're over 5"7
>>
i dont know why people do this and absolutely spend as much as possible to mak their van function like a house,just put a bed and some food in it lol
>>
>>1449525
I’m building my previa as a camper to try it out and see how I like it, if it is terrible I won’t be out a bunch of money, if i like it enough I’ll go full time with it and buy a transit and convert it.
>>
plan to be doing a trip from Queensland to Perth in may
>>
>>1449525
>Anyone here live the vanlife?
I was homeless for 3 months, I lived from my van, it was awful.
I had a very cheap version of OP's pic, a mattress on some storage boxes. I parked in church car parks, at my gym or my workplace's car park (I didn't park at work much because you don't want everyone seeing how fucked your living situation is).
I showered at the gym or I used the showers at work in the early hours. I ate food that didn't need refrigeration to try and save money, but I felt so shitty that I would eat fast food, entertainment is minimal, I would go to the gym whenever I could, I parked near places with free wifi to stream on Netflix.

What the van life channels etc won't tell you is that they don't have to live that way, at any moment they can go back to an apartment, house or somewhere to live, they had money to kit out their van in the first place and set it up with nice things for social media, it all LOOKS very comfy.
The reality is that you're sleeping in somewhere that is cold and claustrophobic, there's no chance of a relationship while you live barely a step above the homeless, you're looked down upon by friends and family and very few people will help you (sleeping on a sofa is heavenly after the first week), you worry about your entire life's possessions being in one place, no matter how "nice" your van living situation is, you're still living in a van.
The only people who can justify living from a van are backpackers, but they have to come back to the real world one day.
>>
I'm a 20 yo in the US and want to try the van life for a year or so just so I can travel to locations to hike and rock/ice climb

I plan to pic up a pick up truck with a cap on the back and sleep in the bed. Build myself a cot and add a ceiling fan for the summer and insulation for the winter.

I'm on my father's health insurance and phone plan so I wouldn't have to worry about that and would only really need to pay for insurance. You can grill no problem or cook on a camping stove on the tailgate. Get a gym membership for showers in the winter or just use one of the mobile bag ones.

It's not even remotely as exspensive as this shithead thinks >>1449528
>>
>>1449879
I keep full coverage on a 50k rig, it aint 70 bucks a month.That is also not my only vehicle.
My cell phone bill alone is 5 times what yours is.
I am not in my 20s living on the cheap.
>>
File: image.gif (912 KB, 240x176)
912 KB
912 KB GIF
>>1450037
boomers get out
>>
>>1449528
>only the extremes exist
god damn you are a retard
>>
>>1449950
>The only people who can justify living from a van are backpackers

Wut wut wut?
>>
File: pjs new digs.jpg (52 KB, 564x374)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>
>>1449870
Are you stupid nigga

>>1450037
turns out you are.. fucks sake dude, you can't throw out numbers for people to live off of if you think its perfectly regular to be plagued with financial problems that you brought upon yourself. retard.
>>
File: autohomes_03_1200.jpg (113 KB, 1200x769)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
As usual, OP wandered off after the first post. He probably wants to be a pro skateboarder or a DJ by now .
>>
>>1450105

>Let me just get stuck on the speed bump real quick...

>Hey, the tow bill is only $1500 to get unstuck! Millennial's have no idea how good they have it living on the road for cheap...
>>
File: voltcushions.jpg (484 KB, 1835x2653)
484 KB
484 KB JPG
>>1449525

Kind of. I have my Volt set up for camping. I put it in hold mode, forcing it to run on gas for the trip so I still have a full battery when I get there. I can use that for powering an electric blanket, a kettle, a car oven and a couple other nice things
>>
>>1449525
Yea lived in my van the past two years, now building out a new one this month. AMA
>>
File: roadpro.jpg (34 KB, 640x360)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
This is the little oven, probably the single biggest power draw. Even so, I can run everything off battery for several days before it's empty and I have to go home. That's in cold weather. In hot weather I run the AC and it lasts pretty much overnight and part of the following day, limiting me to overnight trips.
>>
>>1450109
Lol what financial problems?
You must have problems with reading comprehension.
I have more money than you do and i also spend more than you do.
I also likely save a great deal more than you do.
If your phone bill is 25 bucks a month ,you are making some idiotic sacrifices and saving pennies but losing dollars.
You get what you pay for anon.
>>
>>1449528
>Vanlife costs about 50k to get started and then about 1500 to 5000 dollars a month to maintain the lifestyle.

This is incorrect.

>>1449870
>Insurance
$61 a month
>Cellphone
$40 a month
$50 a month friends garage
>Eating out constantly is something most of the vanlife crowd does
I average $9 a day for food
nope
>Health insurance
general hospital good luck billing me
>You still need propane
correct. I have a on demand water heater
>Ice cold beer sign on the side of the road and I always stop for a few..
I buy 40's
>Coffee shops alone I can spend 300 in a month..
I dont drink coffee but i do smoke a lot of weed which i get for free.
>>
>>1450145
>durr i make more money that's why i spend so much
Spending exorbitant amounts on things you don't need is a financial problem.
>>
>>1450145
Huh?
The fuck is this clown smoking...
>>
>>1449527
Fpbp.
YouTube videos are actually the best place to learn shit about it. Builds, where to park, safety, costs etc.
Nate Murphy, KombiLife and a bunch of channels are all good shit. Kombi even have a series of podcast-type videos where they talk about various van living topics at length.
>>
>>1449528
$3k for a van (buy at start of winter when tourists are desperate to sell before they fly home)
$100~1k to fit it out, depending how fancy you want it.
$30/m gym membership for showering and fitness
$20 every month or two when your lpg gas bottle needs refilling.
Petrol money, insurance and registration.
Usual food bill.

Works out way cheaper than renting.
>>
>>1449819
Oh God /e/ "argue the specific definitions of things" autist has migrated here.
Go back to /e/ and argue with people about how no pan =/= bottomless you fuckhead, don't bring your cancer here.
>>
>>1449950
>free wifi to stream on Netflix.
Do people just not have a hard drive full of movies, anime and shows anymore?
I'm going backpacking again in two months and I'm already filling a new HDD with shit to watch and play.
>>
>>1449870
Imma play this game too
>Insurance
$80 a year for compulsory third party. You don't have to insure your own vehicle here
>Cellphone
$25, but thinking of getting rid of it
I only own a snowboard, laptop and like 5 t-shirts. You sound like you own too much shit
>Eating out constantly is something most of the vanlife crowd does.
They make out like they do yeah, realistically it's cooking Mac n cheese on the gas burner
Lolno. Stop wasting money on dumb shit
>Health insurance
Free healthcare is nice, I pay $80/year extra for ambulance cover though just in case
>It is not cheap just to be a person in the usa.
Nah you just sound like a retard that earns 6 figures but is still somehow "broke" in the week before payday.
>>
File: 1541018481357.png (43 KB, 706x669)
43 KB
43 KB PNG
>>1450145
>I have more money than you do and i also spend more than you do.
>I also likely save a great deal more than you do.

lmao dis nigga in a thread about living in vehicles tryna flex.
>>
File: 1527378581367.jpg (66 KB, 564x564)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>1450282
he's probably /out/'s resident van-hating conservative boomer that has the time to shitpost in literally every van-related thread we've had for the last few years.
just dont feed him replies and keep the thread on topic, he hates that.
>>
>>1450110
I'm still here
>>
>>1450363
>Everyone I don't like is the same person

Sorry your dad wouldn't buy you a pony but can you quit posting you are making van life people sound like helpless millennial retards
>>
File: 20150316w_neighbors01.jpg (51 KB, 640x480)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>1450037
>I am not in my 20s living on the cheap.
kek
neither am I
That's why I have insurance discounts, know how to cook, eat well, and had the same cell phone plan for 15 years (the same plan would be more than double now).

you sound more like a snowbird than an /out/ist or vanlifer
>>
>>1450491
>snowbird
that's my retirement plan when i get too old to /out. don't knock it until you've tried it.
>>
>>1449741
living in a hotel wouldn't be that expensive
>>
>>1449525
ignore the boomerfag, I have an estate worth nearly a mil and would never spend that kind of cash. Vanliving can be homeless tier or luxury boomer level, it really depends what you want out of life. If you're smart but don't have a lot of money, you can get really top end living but you need to learn how and where to save and where to spend, it's the same with anything in life really.

Boomer boondockers and campers living dirt cheap, best channel by far I've found yet:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAj7O3LCDbkIR54hAn6Zz7A

Gen-Xer living in an Aliner, has some good vids and tips:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5LjexFk9wZEnFsXA3TOx-g

and of course /r/vandwellers/ there might be better links to youtube channels there, I don't have too many at the moment.
>>
And Motorcycle life?
>>
File: gmjnq8H.jpg (203 KB, 1412x930)
203 KB
203 KB JPG
>>1450776
>>
>>1450485
Oh, good. Sorry to be rude. google 'Vandwellers'
It is a nice collection of data and inspirational builds. Has good practical advice from lots of different people.
>>
>>1450822
That is
http://vandwellers.org/
specifically.
>>
>>1450128
What do you do for food storage and cooking?

Tell us about your new rig.
>>
http://www.hobostripper.com/hobo-articles/
>>
>>1450238
>"argue the specific definitions of things"
its call semantics you fucking spaz
>>
>>1450772
>estate worth a mil
are you seriously implying thats large?
>>
>>1450852
>implying it's not

I FIRE'd and am enjoying life, what are you doing?
>>
aighty, imma tell you how cheap is the vanlife in europe so you can all be mad about how yall will never live this free
>Insurance
not mandatory
>Cellphone
5 $
>You need a storage locker
somewhere
mostly free
>Eating out constantly is something most of the vanlife crowd does .
people here make a fucking lot of food that never gets eaten so you can literally ask for food and you will get some, if you aren't the asking type you can eat out for 35-40$ a month
what is dumpster diving, no one will say shit to you since everyone is afraid of getting mugged
>Health insurance ... it all adds up. It is not cheap just to be a person in the usa.
health insurance is also not mandatory but if you end up in the hospital you will get charged a lot but hey, you are homeless so you literally don't have any money or anything on your name so you can just rack hospital bills and tickets like crazy if you are also jobless, if you work they will fuck you in the ass but if you work you might as well get health insurance
>The only bills you dont have are electric and rent.
true, you don't pay the 2 biggest bills everyone has
>You still need propane especially if you travel in cold places or like a nice long hot shower.
but you don't
stop drinking alchool you degenerate
you also can stop at any time, its not like you have to
>>
>>1451009
you could do it if you were crafty mac n cheese enough. might not be much fun.
>>
>>1451019
do people not realise that any kind of homelessnes including vandwelling involves being crafty and "making do" 80% of the time? its just a lot easier to do here since locals feel more inclined to give free stuff
T. I roamed the remote villages of my shithole country for 5 years, the hard part is getting there, after that you have to consider yourself pretty unlucky if you dont find some old woman to literally stuff you with food or a place to sleep
>>
>>1449937
Anyone been to burning man or slab city? Planning out my road trip for later this year and want to hit both of them if possible
>>
>>1450845
Food storage I just use shelving I've built into the van, no refrigeration because you concede a whole lot for it, namely space, big battery storage bank,probably solar panels to power that bank, and the cost, including the refrigerator itself, those get pricey. So I don't keep perishables more than a day or two, depending on the season. Winter has its difficulties but also means ~natural~ refrigeration. I eat a lot of canned food but usually as ingredients for other things. For cooking I've used a single burner coleman stove recessed into a countertop.

Last van got totaled in an accident from some fuckwit who ran a red. So as far as insurance goes, >>1451009 is a total fucking retard because you had better have your shit insured or pray to god the person who hit you is totally liable and has decent insurance to pay you out because otherwise you will quickly become homeless, stranded and broke all at the same time. It totally fucking sucks. I've read before not to do vanlife unless you have fat contingency savings to sit on, and thats really important. I've always had some cash in the bank to live off of for ~6 months at a time, but no deep pocket for a catastrophic accident. So losing my last van meant bailing back to my parents house which is shitty though fortunate. Family and friends can be a blessing when you do vanlife and unless you're pretty wealthy you're going to have to rely on them, but that's also ok. A lot of guilt about privilege and such swirling around these days but reality is we all rely on the social nets we create. Anyway to your question....

I've always favored the smaller vans, I had a Ford Transit Connect and now have a Promaster City, because I've never had the cash in hand to buy a big van and didn't want to have payments while I was living on the road. I have college debt which I can pay but I try to keep the monthly payments to a minimum. So its pretty small but you get used to it and the size is really not a big deal.
>>
>>1451057
cont.

The smaller vans also have much better gas mileage and really are stealthy. There are a million "Stealth Van Camper Build!!!!" videos on youtube and they're all 30 foot long Sprinters. Makes no sense to me, and especially once you start mounting shit all the over the roof you can tell someone lives inside. Anyway, you get used to not being able to stand up, anyway I do all my reading/gaming in bed so if I'm in the bed I'm lying down, or I sit up and cook/eat from bed and the kitchenette is only an arms reach away.

The promaster city is a little different and I think I preferred the transit connect but oh well. It has a better engine and transmission too. Right now I'm in the process of putting up the ceiling, flooring and building cabinets and shelving. I can post progress photos if you'd like.
>>
>>1451059
Yes, please.
>>
>>1450145
>>If your phone bill is 25 bucks a month ,you are making some idiotic sacrifices and saving pennies but losing dollars.
>>You get what you pay for anon.
The fuck?
I pay 16euro's month for limitless calls.

Does your XXX dollar costing plan comes with free blowjobs?
>>
>>1449528
You really are talking out of your ass.
>>
>>1449528
Ok are you referring to VanLife TM property of YouTube/Instagram influences everywhere, or just living in a van as a means to travel? There is also the further difference of living in a van just to survive and living in a van for travel recreation, which doesn’t always imply VanLife as trendy thing to do
>>
>>1451059
Post em
>>
File: 1549695150595.jpg (38 KB, 566x552)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>1450145
>>1450037
>trying to front in a van life thread.
y'all niggas lying and you know it. poorfags tryna act like they got money..in a thread about living in a car. whats your next lie boy?

"oh i got a hot gf"
>>
>>1450772
>an estate worth nearly a mil
>an estate
>nearly a mil
Oh my sides..
MFW cant even buy a entry level house here for a million.
>>
>>1451237
it was to illustrate a point that being rich doesn't equate to spending money, frugality is a lifestyle not a class issue.
>>
>>1451055
>fag
I've been to Slab City. Depending on where you're at I wouldn't tell them about being at burning man. WhiteHorse has a Hotel that's pretty nice. I'd go straight there- I believe he's even on Airbnb. Do NOT enter at night DO NOT enter people's campsites. Assume most people have guns and that the dogs you see are trained to attack if need be.
That being said, the people are pretty sweet. Say hi to Bear at the Library for me.
>>
>>1451418
My GF is so wonderful and just saved your life!
>>
File: Van-3-copy-1024x683.jpg (85 KB, 1024x683)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>1451221
That image sent me down the rabbit hole and fuck, does she have a nice backside.
>>
>>1450487
the fuck are you smoking, mate? and where can i get some
>>
>>1451055
there was a homeless thread here about a year ago with a lot of discussion on slab city, maybe check up the archives, should find some good info there.
>>
>>1451452
weird that the zoomed out version, they dont have anything on the left.
i mean hang some cloth, put up a map or do anything with that side. the plain wood looks boring as fuck.
>>
>>1450798
so... cool...
>>
Hello! Does anyone have some good recipes for van cooking? Preferably something low on steam production and fuel efficient :). I like making soups and big pots of rice on the stove but I'm a bit paranoid that I'll damage my interior with all the water.

I like fried bread with coconut oil for toast.
Fried or scrambled eggs are good with some tomato and oyster sauce.
I like to make noodle soup but I don't like to keep spring onions in my van 'cause they stink out the place.
Porridge is good when the weather is cold.
Peanut butter and banana sandwiches seem to be what I eat the most in my van.
>>
Just trying to be able to sleep or have a nap without ruining my neck or back. Hard to do in a sedan. Camping counts as sleeping. Can of chafing fuel like sterno can be nice for some heat while awake
>>
>>1451418
I didn’t necessarily mean I was going to tell them I was at burning man, I was just asking if anyone in this thread had been to burning man, and if it was worth it or not.

That said, why would you not want to mention it to certain people at slab city?

>>1451491
Thanks I’ll take a look
>>
>>1451564
You need a vent fan, preferably the standard size of 14"x14" and you can then cook/simmer/boil anything no problem. Otherwise you are playing with fire in the long run there.

As far as recipes, I usually start with some kind of canned soup/stew/chili/veggies and add things from there. Its just convenient when you don't have freshies all the time.
>>
>>1450149
How much does it cost to get started then? I hate my job and would love to get out ASAP once I can afford a van and have enough passive income to pay for living expenses
>>
>>1451690
Do you have $2000 to spend at burning man?
>>
>>1451859
You need a $ million to have passive income of $2100 a month before taxes, every year your purchasing power will decrease and after 12 years you would only be getting $1200 a month before taxes in purchasing power. Congratulations the government just stole half your money
>>
>>1451865
>after 12 years you would only be getting $1200 a month before taxes in purchasing power
The inflation rate is no where near that
>>
>>1451890
It's 3% now and going much higher in the future. Somebody has to pay for the brown horde
>>
>>1451862
Yes actually

Aren’t tickets somewhere in the $600 range though?
>>
>>1450076
I'm not saying they are the only ones who can justify it, but the people who choose the van life on social media can go back to bricks and mortar without any issues, regardless you're looking at living in a confined space with very few comforts, a wood lined van with fairy lights is still a van.

>>1450240
I did, but I'd seen most of my films/TV and keeping a laptop charged is harder than charging a phone, your workplace can get funny about you bringing your personal stuff in and charging it with their power, work isn't show and tell, you don't need to bring your personal shit everywhere with you, after all you have a van.
>b-but Anon you can charge your laptop with your van
I don't think you understand how much you need to kit out your van, how much you aren't looking to waste fuel or money on an external battery.
>>
>>1451733
Thanks but I don't think I'll get a vent fan. I've got a sunroof and windows and the steam doesn't hang around but it does rise up the wall to get to the window & sunroof and catch along there.
>>
Well I was considering buying a van and living this way instead of paying 800 a month in rent for a place I’m never even at. Changed my mind after reading lol
>>
>>1451055
Slabs is in the middle of the fucking desert, so don't go in the summer. I'd say the same for Burning man, but considering it's Labor Day weekend you sort of have to go while it's still hot.
>>
>vanlife
>not pickup life
>>
>>1451925
Enjoy your mildew
>>
Been thinking about saving money, then buying a crappy van or station wagon (pic related) and living a summer in it, storing stuff at my parent's place. Going from one place to the other, camping, hiking, but not being constrained to one place. No big deal with making the van comfy and whatever, just packing the necessary, a mattress, and using it as a mobile home.
Sweden, Norway, Finland would be great.

The van would be max 10k, costs of living would be down to food, bit of gas and occassionally needing something, less than 1k a month. After six months, sell the car again for min 6k, so all in all 10k for half a year of outdoor fun.

Worth it, or would it get boring and I would want a real bed and one day with internet and computer at some point? Or are there better alternatives?
>>
File: Capture.jpg (51 KB, 812x279)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>1452171
Could you put one of those on a ute?

>not mine but similar shape
>>
>>1452264
>>1451925
Really its not a mildew problem, mildew needs a substrate to grow on like wood, what you're asking for is rust. I'm just going to assume you still have the original ceiling headliner. Water will condense between the roof and headliner and then just hang out because it has no where to go.
>>
>>1452309
I mean this is the basic /trv/ question, if you like traveling it'll be great. If you like all the creature comforts and are not so outgoing, you're going to spend a ton of time in your van being miserable.
>>
>>1449870
PFFT
>Yes but you are not counting all your bills that you have anyway.
>Insurance
Vehicle insurance? $50/mo tops
>Cellphone
$50 tops
No I don't
>Eating out constantly is something most of the vanlife crowd does .
False, I average $8/day on food
Wrong
>Health insurance ... it all adds up. It is not cheap just to be a person in the usa.
Yes it is, I don't have nor need health insurance. I'm healthy
>The only bills you dont have are electric and rent.
>You still need propane especially if you travel in cold places or like a nice long hot shower.
Not really, showers can be done with a $15/mo gym membership, cold is easy just by adding more layers or going solar and using a dual / triple battery setup.
This is your expense
What the fuck?

"$4000/mo"
My average counting gas and recurring expenses: $385
>>
I'm a guy who is about to live in his SUV. Anytips on how I can find a safe, low-risk parking space to sleep at over-night (besides the rent-a-driveway option on craigslist)?
>>
>>1452399
>no health insurance
>minimal car insurance

While I agree with you on keeping your costs down, you're really asking for trouble if you get into an accident or sick/injured, or both.

>>1452408
It all depends where you are. A lot of people will tell you that you can find walmarts and the like, or forest service land (if in US) wherever you go though that simply isn't true. Of course those are options but most of the time you can park in inconspicuous places which include large dark parking lots and residential streets. Most people who live in more crowded neighborhoods or townhomes are used to seeing unfamiliar cars parked out on the street all the time and won't take a second look at who's parked in front of their house unless you start to park there multiple nights. Same goes for most parking lots. Just don't be a dummy, don't park in mom and pops hardware store. Don't park in a neighborhood of mcmansions. Some places I've slept off the top of my head in the past year have been dark pull offs near interstate exits, down some country road and find a pull off, walmarts, municipal parking garages, residential streets, street parking in front of rail stations. You have to be creative and a little bold, but also don't get scared of the cops. Know the local regs on where you are and if you get a knock on your vehicle in the middle of the night, you either play possum and they leave you alone, or you politely move on and find somewhere else to park. Mind you I've never had a run in with the law before myself. How clearly your vehicle can be recognized as a live-in should be important to you if you'd like to be stealthy.
>>
>>1452422
Thanks fren, much appreciated.
>>
>>1452422
On that note, any tips on how to keep cool during the summer nights? I live in the southeast US.
>>
>>1452429
If you're in a more basic vehicle without AC, either install a ceiling vent fan with intake/outake and use it to bring in cool air in from outside. Or, get a 12v fan that can be mounted somewhere inside to blow on you. Both will require getting a deep cycle house battery. Keeping your vehicle cool during the day is key, nothing worse than when your vehicle's been greenhousing itself all day and everything inside is 115 degrees while you're trying to cool it off.
>>
File: 1543237798474.jpg (8 KB, 250x241)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>muh health insurance
Cringe and bluepilled. If you're living in a fucking van full time and paying for health insurance, then you're one of the dumbest people on the planet. Medicaid when living in a van without an income would be super easy to qualify for.
>>
>>1452444
Are you saying these vantards are trust fund babies who have no income?
>>
>>1452444
Lots of folks who live in vehicles either work remotely or work seasonally/intermittently, most folks I know make plenty of money
>>
>>1452399
In the winter I light candles for warmth :)
>>
Please post your van interior any actual van owners here (if there are any; sometimes I feel like there aren't) - just bought a new van to replace my old one and need ideas for building it!
>>
>>1452555
Most of us are millennials and don't have driver's lucense
>>
>>1452555
no van but have a basic camper in my truck
>>1452141
>>
>>1449954
hope you have a blast man. i have seen some sweet pickups (i have seen one of my favorite setups in a 2008ish crewcab f150 w/ cap)

you seem like you are on the right track for some dirtbagging. if you are in vegas stop by the climbing gym near red rock, it's the hook up
>>
>>1449525
Why don't you guys just get a CDL and get paid to go places?
>>
>>1452817
>>1452583
>>
>>1452555
I didn’t take any pictures when I was working on it, but it’s a piece of plywood with wood laminate flooring that has cutouts for the stock chairs to still be able to latch into place, bed platform will be built on top of that when I get home and can start working on the van again.

>>1452817
Why the fuck would I want to dive a truck when I get paid to sail the oceans?
>>
>>1452776
Your build looks sick dude
Keep it up
>>
>>1449525
I don't know you guys robbed me so I wouldn't know.
>>
>>1450037
>not in my 20s
>thinks a 50k doublewide is a van
>has another car on top of that
>hurr i spend all my time on my phone

You have no idea what vanlife is, and you are not /out/.

Now fuck off and go be irrelevant somewhere else, old man.
>>
>>1454301
>Living in a van is being /out/

Jesus Christ you are pathetic quit bragging about being a bum
>>
>>1454306
>he said, from his room
>>
>>1454306
nice gatekeeping faggot, if you don't like a thread make a new one and stay the fuck out of this one
>>
>>1449525
>vanlife
It’s a scam made by sponsored Instagram millennials.
>>
>>1454313
>>1454317
You don't get it, there is nothing special about living in a vehicle or a gutter or a cardboard box, quit bragging it doesn't make you a good person
>>
Would 15k be enough to buy a decent van and have enough left over to buy and install a bed, stove, and some other necessities in there?
>>
>>1454812
Depends how handy you are and how much you want to build it out. If you already have tools that stuff shouldn't cost you more than a couple hundred bucks. Vans are all over the price ranger from 2k beaters to 30k fords/sprinters/Rams.
>>
>>1454821
I had a CDL and a steady route that was 3 weeks on one week off and rather than pay a month's worth of rent for a place that I was only going to use one week a month if that, I saved up and got a van instead. Kept it parked in the truck yard in LA and spent my weeks off on the beach and in the desert. Didn't even do much to the van, just put in a hammock and called it good. Saved a shitpile of money.
>>
>>1454812
With 15k you could buy pretty much any Craigslist beater van for 2k or less, and as long as the body and frame are good and rust free, spend 3-5k bombproofing the vehicles drivetrain and use the rest on building the interior/solar/etc into a really comfortable and livable space
>>
>>1455018
You're lucky to get 12 months out of a 2k beater van
>>
>>1455917
>what is reading comprehension

>as long as the body and frame are good and rust free, spend 3-5k bombproofing the vehicles drivetrain
>>
>>1449525
>>1449528
>>1449530
>Be liberal urbanite
>Try to find something to distract you from the increasing tax burden and deteriorating quality of life imposed by your own shitty politics and third-world paternalism
>Have to make major lifestyle changes to make ends meet
>Start adopting the economic limitations of much derided poor, rural rednecks
>But you cannot be like the proles, you must signal that you are still bourgeois
>Dress up your beer as craft beer
>Dress up your trailer as tiny house movement
>Dress up having no property as minimalism
>Dress up being homeless as #vanlife
>But your short-sightedness and inability to manage money follows you and your artificial consumer culture wherever you go
>All you do in the end is make poor people stuff cost more money, hurting the people who actually need those things
>Move on to a new thing like a fucking locust
>>
>>1454812
Can pick up a van for like $3~5k, just make sure you buy in late Autumn/early winter when European tourists are desperate to sell and the market is saturated.
Spring/summer is the worst time to buy.
Being, can just pick up a nice piece of foam and some bed sheets, shouldn't cost you over $100.
Stove, just get a little LPG gas burner like you'd use when camping.
Go to home Depot, buy some storage bins.
Pick up a portable chemical toilet so you can take a shit in the middle of the night without needing to drive to a McDonald's.
Then you're set
>>
You might check out CycleCruza on JewTube, he's got a whole playlist documenting his build and experiences.
>>
>>1450130
Seems handy, where can I get it?
>>
>>1450798
Holy shit
>>
>>1456310
I don't agree with this at all. Unless you really know how to inspect a vehicle, its best to stay away from high mileage vehicles because the chances of getting a lemon/money sink are high. So great, if the vehicle is rust free, I would never advise anyone to buy a rusty vehicle in the first place unless they only had $500 bucks and were in dire straits. But what does "bombproofing" the drivetrain (or you mean powertrain) even mean? I would NEVER go buy a vehicle and then sink $3-5k in the transmission or engine if nothing was wrong with it. New parts doesn't mean good parts and if there's nothing wrong with it, its better not to fuck with it. If you want to beef up the drivetrain, theres only so much you can do and it's gonna hardly be worth it on a cheaper vehicle.
>>
File: Loop Zoop.jpg (51 KB, 595x741)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>1451690
>Loop Zoop
Did you seriously fucking put 4chan memes on your van?
>>
>>1449880
underrated
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2VIEY9-A8
>>
>>1456322
>be rightard
>be retarded
>the end
>>
>>1456534
I don't like the guy that much but his van was rad.
>>
>>1449950
You sound like a big pussy though.
>>
>>1452555
Just look it up
There's thousands of pics and videos
>>
>>1456806
>>1456806
I guess that’s what I get for assuming people on 4chan know how to buy used cars.

But assuming the guy has a 15k budget and he wants to spend close to or all of it exclusively on the vehicle it’s by no means out of the question to buy a used chevy express or ford E series for 2-4K and use at least 2-3k of his budget making sure the all of mechanical aspects of the vehicle are in top condition since it’ll be one less thing he has to worry about on the road.

Even then, if the guy knows how to properly inspect a used car he could buy a more or less mechanically sound van, do all of the normal maintenance anyone should do when they buy any used car (tune up, oil change, new tires, etc) and still have money in the bank for breakdowns further down the road.
Assuming for that whole process no matter which direction he goes, he’s left with a very mechanically sound van for we’ll say $8000.
That leaves him with $7000 to use exclusively on building his interior, or buying additional shit that comes with living in a van (solar, dual battery, etc)

Obviously it can be done cheaper but if he has a 15k budget and wants to use all of it, what I’ve described is one option he’s got.

>>1456905
:^)
>>
>>1457644
Econolines and Expresses costing 2-4k are totally beat to shit with 200k miles. You still haven't explained what you meant by dumping a ton of money into a drivetrain for some reason.
>>
>>1450145
If you attempt to flaunt the "fact" that you make more money than someone else in some sort of shit attempt at one upping someone, you 100% do not make more money than that person. You are a poorfag plagued by poor decisions and delusions of grandeur.
>>
>>1449525
First thing to know:
Your pic related is nowhere near what vanlife actually is
>>
>>1449528
agreed with the point of not being a bum living in a van not much else
>>
>>1457644
This, and it shouldn't cost you over $1k to do the inside unless you decide to go fucking nuts with shit like power, heated showers and other excessive shit.
Even with a simple solar setup to charge a phone/laptop and maybe run a small TV you can get it under a grand.
You can get it down really cheap if you cut corners with recycled material, camping gear and do away with power. Nate Murphy has two vids on builds he did; one is a $100 build in the back of a station wagon and the other is a $1k van build he did in 17 days. Both well worth a watch
>>
>>1457681
>>1457681
Are you so dense that you want me to be specific about the costs related to refurbishing an engine from the top down or replacing driveline components?
>>
>>1449937
Got interior pics?
>>
>>1452317
I don't see why not
>>
>>1459233
I’ll get you some when I get home on the 2nd, I’m still in the process of building it
>>
>>1451917
The ticket isnt the only thing you need mate.
>>
>>1451916
If you live in the U.S., don't worry. We export our inflation to the rest of the world. Thanks, Saudi Arabia!

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.